Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
NCBeernut

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

I found this bottle at New Beer while in NYC. They don't have this back home, so I had to grab a bomber.

Nice hazy golden orange, two finger head that fades to a thin layer that leaves some good lacing.

Smell and taste almost identical. Fresh pineapple, even more prevalent in the nose than taste. Floral citrusy hops are all over the place. Definite honey presence makes itself known, and is more obvious in the taste than the smell. This sweetness tries to help balance but ultimately fails. A bit of orange in the aftertaste.

Very pleasant mouthfeel at the beginning, then sticky, hop oils cling to your mouth everywhere. It seriously is almost like chewing a raw hop flower (yes, I have done this before).

This beer defines a hop bomb. It really could use a little more malt to help balance. The hop shortage is probably due to Stone Ruination. If you don't love hops, then don't even touch it. As for me, I won't have any trouble finishing this bomber.

12-22-2007 19:30:44 | More by NCBeernut
JohnGalt1

Idaho

3.95/5  rDev -8.4%

22oz from the Coop for about $4 (I think.. could be more could be less) ... shared with Brenda.. mine from a shaker pint.

nice big head atop an only slightly hazy yellow brew... lite lacing suprisingly.

smell is citrus floral and pine hops... no malts to speak of.

big bitterness and lite/medium body.. could use a touch more viscosity.. hop flavor is pretty comples... floral melts into citrus rinds... in to the pine... only enough malt flavor to be noticeable... IMHO, it could use more malt flavors and body.

I know everyone loves this one, but I would not put Ruination in my top 10 DIPA's... too one dimensional.. and yes I know that's what the Stone boys were inetending... but I would appreciate a touch more malts.

12-22-2007 04:54:30 | More by JohnGalt1
Mebuzzard

Colorado

4.64/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

So, this is my second review of this beer almost a year after the first. I must say this is a great brew.
Glossy mahagony body with orange and slight brown tints. It glows. Very nice, smooth, conformed white head. Sticky. Laced the glass well.
Aroma is crisp and citrusy. The alcohol peaks through a bit, but remains hidden. The hops really load the nose.
Taste is very up-front. A slight hint of orang peel, grapefruit, flower, and green stems is slammed out of the way by the bite of the hops. Tingy. Almost like a spice bite, but more crisp. Nice flavor hides the alcohol. I bought a bomber, so this is gonna be a battle of my taste buds with the hops. A bit hard to drink this big bottle.

12-21-2007 20:52:59 | More by Mebuzzard
DIPAbrewer

Delaware

3.98/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Stone just recently began distributing here in MD so I finally got a chance to sample this extreme ale. I poured it from a 12 oz bottle into a wine glass and was struck by how light it was. Many big hoppy beers like this look a little more amber, orange, or ruby this one is a full gold.

The Aroma was grapefruit and pine backed by sweet malt. I wasn't knocked out by the aroma, but it was there and fairly complex.

The flavor is this ale's best attribute. It is sharply bitter but somewhat balanced by rich sweet malt flavor. When I say balanced you must consider the source. I am a serious hophead and haven't found a beer yet that was too hoppy.

The mouthfeel and drinkability were both pretty good as well, I could drink two but probably wouldn't. This is a good beer to end the night with, unless you've got some very hoppy Imperial Stouts lined up.

If you're a hophead you need this beer if not, why are you reading this?

12-19-2007 07:44:54 | More by DIPAbrewer
sever

Arizona

3.83/5  rDev -11.1%

Wow, this is an intense beer.

This beer is all about hops. And dryness. It pours a thin head, and the aroma is super strong pine-sol grapefruit. Immediately the beer sucks all the moisture out of your tounge and replaces it with a spicy hop symphony! The aroma and taste are overwhelming!
This beer will cut through your palate and replace it with damn hoppy beer in no time flat. I If you think there's no such thing as too much hops, try this beer. You'll discover just how much of a hophead you really are.t is ludicrously enjoyable. However, it is exceptionally dry and strong, and you won't always be in the mood for it. It is an IPA, but one made with no regard to anything but itself. This is everything but a neutral beer. You will either find it disgusting or worship it. When you are in the mood, this beer is will hold its own as one of the most lovely aggressively hopped beers out there. As insanely hoppy as it is I find it pleasuring and satisfying. Brutal!

12-17-2007 05:21:55 | More by sever
caminiti

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%

Very drinakable brew for the high IBU and IPA.
Poured from a 22 oz. bomber from Olivers, the source of most of my beers, on a lousy, cold, snowy, icy night, this was meant to bring me in from shoveling and cheer me up, and it did.
Appearance is orange and a bit hazy, smell is exactly what you would expect from the advertising, hops, hops, more hops a little sweetness/fruit.
The beer goes down well, maybe too easily, for the 7.7%. A great beer and worth it.

12-16-2007 20:50:19 | More by caminiti
lightindarkness

4.53/5  rDev +5.1%

In my search to drink the best IPAs I can put my lips to, this seemed an obvious try. I picked up this 12oz bottle the other day and saved it for a special occasion - a random Thursday night.

It poured a slightly hazy golden-orange color. There was a decent foamy head that sat down to some patchy creamy bubbles as I let it warm up a bit in the glass. There was a pretty good coating of patchy lace around the glass as I emptied it.

This beer has a very attractive aroma, with plentiful hops and some fruity sweetness. The piney bitterness is really concealed well in the richness of the scent, masked with floral tones and soft fruit.

A nice full taste with each sip, filled with plenty (maybe plenty is an understatement) of hops and fruit, some rounded sweetness of flowers. Regardless of the of the up-front taste, the complexity and flavor are shattered at the finish of this beer with an overwhelming dry, hoppy backlash of bitterness, leaving a chewy toasty, hoppy taste. This dies down with some time to a bready residual flavor. Hoppy. Hoppy. Hoppy.

The mouthfeel Is relatively calm for the 100 IBU, 7.7% alcohol content makeup of this beer. Finishes with a smoldering feel that I keep trying to quench with more sips.

I find this beer surprisingly drinkable, despite its intense characteristics. As artfully crafted IPAs go, this beer is not as intimidating as its label suggests, as long as you like hops.

12-14-2007 00:16:33 | More by lightindarkness
Tilley4

Tennessee

4.88/5  rDev +13.2%

I'm not worthy of this beer.

I had delayed trying this beer because after reading some of the reviews, I was of the opinion that it was just an over the top beer that was trying to be too extreme. I was on a beer run a couple hours away from the house and saw this 12 oz bottle on the shelf and thought, "What the heck!" Best decision I've made beer-wise ever.

I can't imagine a beer being much better than this. Beautiful glowing honey color that smelled wonderfully hoppy but not overly so.

I was expecting this beer to be really bitter and extreme, but it's so drinkable, it's dangerous. It is a hoppy beer but I actually found myself wishing it was a bit more so. I was expecting something that would make me put it down and say, "What have I gotten myself into?" That being said, this may very well be the best beer that I've ever had in my life. It was a bit bitter on the finish but not overly so and all the hype that it has was worth it. It is that damn good. I will no longer pass this up when I see it. I will have this in my beer fridge at ALL times from this moment on. I'm headed up in a few weeks to grab some Dreadnaught and I'm curious to see how it stacks up.

Again, excellent beer! Highly, highly recommended!!!

12-13-2007 04:05:25 | More by Tilley4
altgeeky1

New Hampshire

4.7/5  rDev +9%

Pours light caramel, with a very healthy head. Head takes a while to settle down, to a lace around the edges and across the top.

Smells like an extreme IPA. You can smell this from the nose, or just by inhaling you can 'feel' the hops and alcohol in your throat. Can't say more -- you know what you're in for next!!

Tastes sweet malt, with hops moving to the front quickly. After a swallow, a slight alcohol burn moves in. The hops? The hops are beautiful and stay with you for minutes.

Mouthfeel is pretty good.. more malt body than you expect. The beer just kind of 'rolls' in your mouth from the hops and the malt. The carbonation is very comfortable.

This beer goes down very well. You can sip it, or drink it more like a session beer. IPA's are not for everyone, and this one especially is quite heavy on the hops. In terms of taste, the alcohol is surprisingly not overpowering.

12-12-2007 01:43:03 | More by altgeeky1
smurphy77

4.97/5  rDev +15.3%

This beer might be a best-in-class beer it's so good. It's really an exceptional IPA.

The beer poured a golden color with a medium-sized head that stuck around for awhile before dissipating. The aromas were succulent fresh hops and perhaps a hint of apples. Lovely, bright hop aromas were really perfectly balanced and not at all overpowering, portending the taste to come.

The taste of this beer was textbook IPA. You taste the smell, you taste the bitterness, you taste the freshness. The vortex of hoppiness swirls over the tongue in such a clean, crisp, refreshing way that could just never get old.

Lucky enough to find a sixer of this at bevmo in san jose for 6.99. What a deal. Too bad I'm only here for a week.

12-10-2007 01:35:26 | More by smurphy77
mj71

4.7/5  rDev +9%

A: Poured a two-fingered very white head that dissipated semi-quickly. Deep golden color with a hint of red and cloudiness.

S: This may be the best smelling brew I've ever experienced. Now I get what the hop-heads crave. Very fresh, very pungent hop scent.

T: Solid malt balance completely quashes the hop bite until well into the sip. Slight fruity characteristic detected, but I'm a little congested, so I may be missing some of the more subtle flavors.

M: Thick, creamy mouth-feel. Extremely smooth.

D: Certainly a beer to be savored. High ABV and lingering hoppy taste encourage a slow pace.

I tend to shy away from most Hop Monsters like this one because they're just bitter, bitter, bitter. I decided to give this a shot because of Todd Alström's review. What a great decision. Just wish it wasn't $14 a six-pack in my neck of the woods.

12-08-2007 23:03:32 | More by mj71
Lupe

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

Golden orange in color with a foamy off white head of a cappuccino, that leaves some lace and has some staying power.

Big citrusy and piney hop aroma - perfume like. A bit of spice as well, and a touch of toasted malt and fruitiness makes for a very aromatic beer.

Hop flavors are definitely the main attraction. First soft and floral before getting more aggressive and citrusy. Finally shows all it's muscle with a heavy dose of resiny piney goodness. This is one hoppy beer, but does not fry the palate as I had expected. A nice amount of toasted grain and sweet malt flavors are melded well with the hops. Finishes dry and puckering. Great complex flavors.

Medium in body with a silky smooth mouthfeel and slightly creamy. Good drinkability for the style, but I can't see have more than two of these before needing a break. Alcohol stays well hidden.

I don't know if it was from all of the hops in this, but I was so relaxed after finishing a bottle. Great beer.

12-06-2007 03:03:56 | More by Lupe
BeerImmediately

4.58/5  rDev +6.3%

A: UUUUge 5 finger 'ed on this puppy... lightly clouded, deep golden color.

S: smell is incredible - ripe pineapple wafted out of the bottle and continued in the glass. Fresh, fresh hops.

T: reminded me of orange juice - both taste and mouthfeel. Sweet, candy-like taste that transformed to grapefruit as it warmed.

M: I was expecting a much sharper mouthfeel, but this was smooth and almost rich.

D: Boy, I enjoyed this one. Get yourself some!

12-06-2007 02:58:54 | More by BeerImmediately
kwakwhore

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

12 oz. bottle which came via trade. Big ups to jcdiflorio for the hookup.
Beautiful large white head on top of a copper/gold somewhat hazy pour. Lacing down the glass.
Aromas are redolent of pine, and citrus hoppyness but a bit of sweet malt manages to sneak through. Hop perfume might be an appropriate description.
As far as the flavors are concerned hops are definitely the main course, but this beer is not the total shred job that my palate had expected. Biscuit malt and sweet malt flavors are melded with the hops to make a complex and interesting flavor combination.
The mouthfeel is silky and has a prickly carbonation which lingers on the back of the tongue and on the palate.
This beer is a pleasure to drink. I could easily have had another and will definitely be on the lookout for more.

12-02-2007 16:58:47 | More by kwakwhore
timtim

District of Columbia

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

clearish orangey gold with an off white head that settled pretty quickly but left really nice lace. hops in the nose are georgeous. pine and citrus (grapefruit). only wish was that it had a little more of a solid malt backbone to carry the hops... i know it's a dipa, but my favorites still have that faint biscuity or sweet malty character for the hops to ride on. taste is delicious nonetheless. medium body with a nice, soft silkiness. a bit of a bitter finish, but really, really pleasant. pour me another please.

12-02-2007 02:45:20 | More by timtim
Murchmac

4.58/5  rDev +6.3%

Easily in my top two of all time favorite beers.

Pours like a perfect double IPA, cloudy orange in the middle with radiant burst of sunlight on the outside.

Smells of sweet sticky malts, lemon, the hop smell is almost transcended to just a citrus smell.

POW!!! The first taste hits you with everything it has. Stingy pine taste, some alcohol, great malt balance. Hops Hops and more Hops. Sweetness, creaminess, and alcohol round it out.

This mouthfeel gives you the resiny stickiness that coats your entire mouth, tongue, and throat like a good DIPA should.

I could drink this beer forever. I love it and if you dont there is something wrong with you.

12-01-2007 03:21:44 | More by Murchmac
orangedive

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Orangish Gold. 1.5 inch head. 10% opaque.

S - Smells like a giant hop. Hints of grapefruit. Lots of citrus. Mostly just hops.

T - Hoppy-hoppy. Bitter but still slightly sweet. A little bit of alcohol in the aftertaste. Really nice. Possibly a slight note of banana. This beer is an aggressive IPA but has a very friendly taste. Highly recommended.

M - Smooth. Not as powerful as I expected based on their own description. Medium bodied. A little creamy.

D - Great. For as strong and bitter as it is, this beer is remarkablely easy to drink. Drinking a bomber...could easily have another.

12-01-2007 02:08:29 | More by orangedive
tfuchs

District of Columbia

4.28/5  rDev -0.7%

Ah, with only 991 reviews, I'm sure you really need my opinion to make sense of this one. Whatever, it's my first review and this is a great beer to start with.

12oz bottle I picked up at Lost Dog (great place) in Falls Church. Poured into a heavy 14oz. glass mug that I was lucky enough to inherit from my girlfriend's grandfather. No date on the bottle. :(

Appearance: was pale amber, like illuminated pine wood all laquered up. It held a firm, thin head. Thick to move when swirled.

Big Nose: this is one of those times when it just smells like HOPS. But yeah, orange citrus up front with a load of butter to follow it up. It's a big beer, so there's a lot of caramel and sugar hiding down there too.

Taste Taste: HOPS, butter and citrus just like the nose. Honey and alcohol in the aftertaste. I love hops. This isn't (supposed to be) a balanced beer. Please don't buy it expecting that. It's reminiscent of DFH's 90 min, but there's less depth to the malty undertones in this one. If you are a hophead and you don't love this, you are weird. If you're not a hophead, you're welcome to try, but just understand what it is.

The feeling in my mouth when I drink it: is nice. Again, my preferences is for big beers, and this is one of 'em. So with 7.7% abv and enough hops to eat a goat it's not surprising that this beer is thick. I can feel the hop juice tingling the back of my tongue. And, I did let this warm from the fridge for a few minutes, gave it a few rubs and junk, but it was a bit too cold. It loosened up nicely after I let it warm and breathe as I drank't.

Drinkability: is very high, but I am insane. Besides, the 1,000,000,000 lupilin count makes me sleepy. Not really. Anyway, I nurse these bad boys 'cause of the price, not the taste. If these guys were any cheaper ($15 / 6er) I'd have one every day.

All-in-All, this is a big beer. A big, hoppy, nuts, novel, American beer. I love it. If you don't like HOPS or having fun, stay away from this one. Because these guys don't deserve to be trashed or (and I can't believe how many people actually do this) poured out.

11-30-2007 00:53:06 | More by tfuchs
pershan

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%

Tried this at home in a 12 oz bottle.

A: Straw-colored with a creamy white head.

S: Pine-dominated hop aroma.

T: Smooth hop flavor followed by a stronger pine-dominated hop bitterness. The bitterness stays with you long after you swallow.

M: Consistent hop bitterness along the top, sides, and back of the tongue - a hop-head's fantasy.

D: This is what all other IPAs should try to emulate : a clean, smooth flavor profile with a strong, consistent hop presence all the way to the bottom of the glass - excellent beer.

11-27-2007 02:01:56 | More by pershan
ohoove

Connecticut

4.22/5  rDev -2.1%

Quite a few DIPA's i've had lately just seem to be an explosion of hops , hops , and more hops, but not this time. This baby was great from the get go from sight, smell and swill ! Really well balanced for the style, creamy but not thick, piney/ citrusy with a cat urine quality that one would think would be a bitter bomb but just sits well and long enough to please not overpower. I really enjoyed this and definitely a returnable DIPA. Don't worry Durge, as i type this , Tom is on his way back from Yankee Spirits with another bomber of this and the Arrogant Bastard.

11-23-2007 20:55:11 | More by ohoove
Traquairlover

22-oz. bottle poured into two pint glasses.

A = Dark honey colored, misty translucence. Huge head which left good but not incredible lacing.

S = Sweet, floral notes. I had expected a more bitter hops smell but although the hops are unmistakable, there is a sweet, honey smell in there.

T = Wow, the immediate taste has some of the sweetness I detected in the smell, but that is quickly replaced with a lot of bitters which lasts well into a long finish. There are also nice hints of pine and citrus flavors. I feel like I just sucked on a lemon that had bee soaked in a nice English pale ale. Not at all unpleasant, but quite bitter in the aftertaste.

M = Nice full mouthfeel, good carbonation with small bubbles lends to a fullness as you swish it around your mouth.

D = I liked this beer but I would give it only slightly above average in drinkability. It is very bitter without having the full hops flavors I would expect. As a result, I would probably pick another DIPA if that were what I particularly wanted and I think it might grow old quickly unless paired with a nice salty food that would help counter the extreme bitterness.

11-23-2007 14:17:20 | More by Traquairlover
mattster

3.55/5  rDev -17.6%

Poured from 22oz bottle into a snifter glass.
Very nice color - a darker gold as expected. Good light head with nice bubbles. Good clarity - very translucent.

Taste buds are innundated with hoppy goodness, but nothing bad... Actually quite good. Slight hints of citrus, bits of lemon zest, and slight spicy hues.

Mouthfeel is coating, but not overwelming. I'd love to have a good steak with this... I know I say that a lot, but this is a Definite food beer. Stone's Imperial IPA is a great beer. A new one for my favorites.

11-23-2007 08:16:20 | More by mattster
breadnerd

Kansas

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Excellent clarity. Bright, almost hums with a golden radiance.

I was expecting a bit more hop aroma here. It's present though. A faint floral, fresh hop aroma.

Aggressive, sharp, tongue-curling bitterness on the first sip. After a couple more, the hops are much more balanced with one another. Piney. Citrus. Delicious. No detectable malt characters here, but I'm not complaining.

Carbonation is just right. Nice and effervescent. Hops dance around on my palette. More please.

11-14-2007 19:54:03 | More by breadnerd
calebmills

West Virginia

4.53/5  rDev +5.1%

at first glance in a glass this beer looks almost identical to boston lager. a clear orange with little haze. it smells sort of spicy and has a lot of aroma in my opinion although its about 4 months out of date its still great. the taste is VERY hoppy like sam adams times 10 with some citrus mixed in very well. if you love sam adams boston lager like i do this will be sure to top it on your list. i love it im going to drink another now

11-11-2007 03:27:25 | More by calebmills
PhageLab

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Ahh at last I shall review the legendary Ruination. What better place to drink it than the Bier Garden? Here goes...

A - Vibrant golden swirl with a 1/2 inch of froth head that hung out for a bit. Almost glows as it goes down, and leaves a bit of lacing as well. To describe it in one word - Impressive.

S - A girl at my table said it smelled like an old gym locker. She was crazy, this is a big floral hop smell with sweet orange citrus notes.

T - Amazing. It's a hop bomb of course. High bitterness with a mellow burn to the tongue. Sweet perfume like flower profile blends it together and balances this beer out almost perfectly. It even finishes a bit sweet and it's pretty hard to taste the alcohol.

M - Perfect feel to this medium bodied brew. Excellent carbonation level with a smooth smooth finish. Can't ask for anything else.

D - Pretty good, I could do a few before having to stop. They say it's a double but by how well rounded it is, you could never tell. I'm almost sad to say, but this is my new go to IPA. Very highly recommended.

11-10-2007 15:07:53 | More by PhageLab
Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.