Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
4.18/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Hazy Copper. Nice frothy/creamy head. Head falls to a ring. Leaves plenty of lacing down the glass.

Smell: Initial aroma is of hops...loads of hops. Initial burst of floral and piny notes. Thats followed by some earthy citrus/grapefruit. Theres a some bready and toasty malt notes in the background.

Taste: Much like the aroma. Initial burst of hops - floral upfront, followed pineapple and grapefruit notes. Earthy and minty notes in the middle. A very smooth hop character. There's also a constant bready/toasty malt backbone throughout. The finish is dry with a lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a crisp carbonation.

This is one hell of a beer. This beer truly lives up to its name. My taste buds have been wonderfully decimated by loads of deliscious hop flavor. It has truly ruined my palate for the evening...and that's a good thing!

Sweasty, May 13, 2009
4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

Presentation: 1 pint 6 oz bottle into a nonic.

A- Hazy clear orange/amber. Pours with ~1 finger of off white head, which fades slowly to a thin cap, leaving ample lacing as consumed.

S- Pine and grapefruit hoppiness, followed by sturdy sweet, malty notes.

T- Excellent- Substantial pine-and-grapefruit hop pop, with a fantastically bitter - though thankfully, not "ruinous"- finish. Fair amount of malt sweetness provides a modicum of balance to the bitterness. Alcohol's presence is not substantially noted. Quite enjoyable.

M- Moderately high carbonation, which provides quite the active, crisp bite. Goes down smoothly. Outstanding feeling of coating via residual hop oiliness.

D- Bitterness may be fairly high, but it is still highly consumable....Relatively low ABV% for a DIPA. Quite good.

Future outlook: Took me awhile to getting around to trying this one, but I'm happy that I did. Yet another outstanding twist on the DIPA.

DoctorDog, May 12, 2009

22oz bottle. Hazy orange with a sticky head. Smells like hops... juicy. Sweet and malty, hoppy with grapefruit, but a broad hop spectrum that is hard to pin down; intricately hoppy. Quite bitter finish with some alcohol. medium body with small bubbles. Doesnt finish as astringent as I expected. Actually not as intense or bitter as I thought it would be. I think that this bottle might not have been fresh enough to let the hops shine as much as they could. Liked it, but nothing mad it really stand out for me.
Rerate: on tap a couple times here in DC and I have to say that I like it more than the times I had it out of the bottle back in California. Very hoppy and bitter, but with the perfect amount of malt balance and a dry finish. A great IIPA to down a pint of and not get pounded with malt and alcohol.

bulletrain76, May 12, 2009
2.8/5  rDev -34.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Let me preface this by saying that I have been regularly consuming hoppy beers for quite some time now, and I feel confident in my ability to judge them. And let me add that overall I love Stone and respect what they do. I just don't understand why this beer is rated so highly.

Ruination pours very clear; a tawny orange color. A decent-looking head forms, but does not stay long. Hardly any lacing.

The nose is pathetic for a DIPA. You practically have to submerge your nose to detect it at all. And it's just piney... with a hint of caramel. No complexity here.

The first couple sips were bad. Just a wave of bitterness with no complex hops flavors whatsoever. After I let it warm some more, pine and citrus flavors (mostly just pine) strengthen. I found that the bitterness was only bearable by swishing each sip around in my mouth until it was thoroughly acclimated to the temperature in my mouth. Only through these means can you appreciate that there is some sweetness to this beer, even if it's very well hidden. After the beer adjusts to the temperature of your mouth, you can pick up some candied pineapple and caramel flavors. These little flavors are the only things that save this beer from catastrophe.

The body is a little light for a DIPA, but swishing contributes to a certain creamy feel.

As for drinkability... there really is none. It took me almost 2 hours to drink 12 oz. It's just so overwhelmingly bitter, you can't help but pace yourself.

Having said all that, it's definitely not the worst DIPA I've had. But I have to disagree with the quotation underneath the logo on the bottle, "A liquid poem to the glory of the hop." No. I've had so many beers that are so much better at highlighting all of the deliciousness and complexity you can get from using a good variety of hops. This beer, on the other hand, is an ode to bitterness, that's it.

sarahspat, May 10, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -4%

on tap poured into standard pint glass.

a: light amber color slight prickly foam head that disipates into a very light lace cap. Slight carbaonation

s: a nice floral hop aroma

t: toasted malt upfront followed with hop flavor. Surprisingly the hops do not translate straight to a stong bitterness. Citrus adds to the complexity of the brew. Nice.

m&d: smooth creamy mouthfeel making an extremely drinkable beer.

UDbeernut, May 09, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +3%

Poured from 22oz bomber into DFH snifter.

A - Light orangish/copper color with a off-white head. Not too much head on the pour but what was there left a good amount of sticky lacing on the sides of the glass.

S - Really nice pine, citrus (both bitter and sweet), hoppy notes from this beer. It's a really nice combo of smells that make me want to try this beer even more-so.

T - A nice crisp bitterness right off the bat which is followed by some notes of orange peels, pine, and malts.

M - Light - medium in body, very clean & crisp, perfect carbonation. Very clean finish.

D - A top-notch DIPA that I put above Racer X, Exponential Hoppiness, and HopSlam. I really liked this one (obv)!

Sean9689, May 09, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm a big fan of the Stone IPA, and was surprised to find this at the post exchange on Fort Bliss. Pouring this one into a pint glass.

It gives off a nice, two-finger head. White, significant lacing. Visible carbonation. A very light apple cider yellow-amber in color. I smell strong, sweet malts and citrus. Only the slightest hint of hops in the nose.

The hops are strong, but there's an underlayer of those sweet notes, almost floral. Tastes almost nothing like the smell, with the exception of that sweet orange-peel citrus on the back end. I'm smelling the sweet malts and clover, and reveling in the piney hops, and the citrus binds it all together.

Medium-bodied. Carbonation is moderately strong, but works out to be "just right." Good drinkability for the style, but I don't really consider IPAs to be session beers.

I thought that the Stone IPA was great, but the contrast between the smell and the taste here add another layer of depth and this is my favorite brew thus far.

aristeros, May 09, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +7.7%

Appearance: A beautiful off white finger and a half of head. Wow, this beer has a great deal of head retention and the lacing on this beer is crazy. A nice copper and yellow look, which is similar to honey. It is a pretty cloudy beer.

Smell: A lot of malt smell in this beer. It smells very sweet. I can smell some hops with a very mild citrus or piney odor.

Taste: This is a very different beer from the smell it has. There is a great deal more hop flavor than there was aroma in the smell. I can taste some serious pine and some good citrus mixed in. It is somewhat balanced but the hops definitely win in this beer.

Mouthfeel: The beer was perfectly carbonated and was a very smooth drink. This beer has a medium body.

Drinkability: This has easily become one of my favorite beers. I wish I had a growler instead of just 22 oz of this beer. It has an incredible smell and everything about it is truly wonderful.

OnThenIn, May 08, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -7.4%

22oz. bomber into New Belgium glass (excess into a Sam Adams taster for girlfriend who isn't generally that into IPAs -- I subsequently finish said taster).

Pours a pale amber with an inch and a half of lasting seafoam head comprised of medium-to-tiny-sized bubbles. Decent amount of spotty lacing.

Piney-citrusy hops even as I pour it a foot-plus from my face. It's hops-hops-hops in the nose, with a little alcohol bringing up the rear - as advertised.

Tastewise, malt is there. That's the most I can say about that particular component. Otherwise, the hops just coat the tongue and club each taste bud atop the skull. It's like whack-a-mole in there.

Noticeable but not overly-aggressive carbonation.

I would have another, but I wouldn't call this a session beer by any means. After two or three, I think my taste buds might be begging for death and it would be a waste of this hop explosion.

TripelDouble, May 08, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

What I love about this IPA is that for people who are used to "piss" beer(Keystone, Bud, Coors, you get the idea), it is completely out of their league. "Horrible" is a word often said to me by friends who I deem worthy of a swig. One of the hoppiest beers around my neck of the woods(North Idaho) and coincidently it comes from one of my favorite breweries, Stone.

Mrbassjedi, May 06, 2009
4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a bomber bottle into a pint glass. Paired with some cheese and chips and salsa. Golden/copper color. Big rocky white head, leaves a lot of lacing. Smells like fresh American hops, like you're literally holding a bunch of them up to your nose. Big and piney. Theres a lot of carbonation. Definitely a big beer with enough malt to stand up to the hops. Fairly warming with all the alcohol. As it gets warmer you get a lot of citrus flavors, grapefruit I guess? Beats 90 Minute and Hop Wallop I think.

drunkboxer1, May 06, 2009
4.3/5  rDev 0%

Pours reddish copper with less carbonation than one would expect for an American IPA. Smells predominantly of citrus. Nicely assertive hop bitterness with lots of grapefruit flavors and some grassy undertones at first, fading onto some piney notes near the end before a slightly sweet finish. A dry bitterness remains in the mouth after swallowing. Mouth feel is as one would expect from a beer of this size.

zoso1967, May 05, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle into Tulip.

A. Big fluffy white 2 finger head. Not much lacing left on my glass, but very nice head retention. A beautiful Orange/Apricot color.

S. One word Hops. Citrusy, Piney, Floral hops.
Great Smell.

T. Taste is a hop blast. Same citrus, pine hops as the aroma. There is definitely some balance with the malt, but the hops tip the scale over the malt.

M. Rich, full. Medium bodied beer.

D. A very good DIPA.

siradmiralnelson, May 05, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured on tap into a 14 oz. glass.

a: Nice yellowy/orange color, sunlike, with a creamy off-white head and lots of lacing.

s: Citrus and pine, with a woody undertone. A bit of an alcohol twinge/esters.

t: Very hoppy, with the citrus and pine flavors supported by a grainy, toasty maltiness.

d: A great sipper, but don't think you'll be able to taste anything else with any sort of discrimination after this one. There's a reason it's called Ruination, and that's your palette after drinking it.

hsway, May 05, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

22 oz. awesome looking bottle poured into an Imperial Pint. Best by date of 5/14/09

A - Ruination poured a well carbonated, brilliant clear orange amber color with a large pillowy dense off-white head. Some lacing.

S - A good combination between fruity and floral hops with a large piney citrus aroma on the nose. Some sweetness lingers in the background. A very small but detectable malt backbone too.

T - Overly hoppy in a good way with a well balanced malt nose. Pine, citrus, and a lively sweetness. As you continue drinking the malt becomes much more apparent and rounds out very well.

M - Smooth and somewhat dry, this beer is slick on the palate going down. If has a higher viscosity than any other IPAs I've had.

D - The bottle tells you that if you haven't had any IPA beers, this beer is not the place to start, and I'd agree. For a beer with 100+ IBUs it's pretty drinkable but by the end I was really sick of it. I'd suggest sharing this with a fellow hophead.

BeerFMAndy, May 05, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

pours a semi-clear pale orange with a medium size egg-shell head, and good lacing.

smells of pink grapefruit, and some caramel.

taste is of grapefruit, caramel, pine, a touch of sweetness, and some citrus, ends bitter, some dryness, and tangy on the tongue.

froghop, May 05, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +9.3%

A - Pours a clear copper with a decent off-white head. Good retention and moderate lacing.

S - Quite a bit going on here. Hop aromas are floral, piney, and citrusy all at once, with some faint malt sweetness coming through in the background. Grapefruit and pine dominate though.

T - Very well-balanced despite the incredibly strong hop profile. A subtle malt presence keeps the tart grapefruit notes from being too harsh. There's a slight earthiness to it as well.

M - Medium-bodied with a dry finish. Understandably, there's a good amount of hop bitterness in the aftertaste that's assertive without being overbearing.

D - Probably one of the most drinkable DIPA's I've had. It's very enjoyable and the relatively low ABV makes it easy to put down a few before your palate gets weary.

pwsoldier, May 03, 2009
4.3/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a 16oz Sam Adams draft glass - going to take 2 for this one.

A: Pours a glorious body: a bright, golden hues around the edges of a the glass with a deeper, hazy amber-orange core; looks fiery. A thin, moderately creamy white head bubbles on top, about a finger thick, but dissipates after a couple minutes.

S: Whoa, huge citrus nose from the hops hits quickly - tart grapefruit, tangerine, fresh orange juice. I'm also picking up floral aromas - delicately sweet flowers petals, freshly chopped garden herbs and then the burst of grassy hops. The citrusy/floral punch is followed quickly a sharp pine resin. I'm not really getting much of any malt backbone in the nose - hops characters dominate here.

T: Citrusy up front with very tart grapefruit blending with sweeter tangerine. The citrusy top note is followed closely by a delicately sweet floral flavor (orange blossom, honeysuckle, even some very light clover honey) which quickly transitions into astringent hoppy/pine-like bitterness. Only in the finish does some maltiness sneak in, with a slightly doughy, biscuit flavor hiding underneath the lingering bitterness. Finish is slightly drying. As I work my way through the bottle, it the finish starts to hint at more of a grainy, nutty malt background, but big, bold hop bitterness still rules the roost.

M: My bottle had huge carbonation - very crisp, very prickly on the tongue and even across the roof of my mouth. Works great with the hop bitterness and citrusy punch.

D: Bottle says its 7.7% ABV, but I'm really not picking up much of the alcohol. I never got much of a spicy, medicinal alcohol note at any point, but probably because the citrus and pine notes put the palate into submission. However, I know its there, and I know one bomber and I'll be good for the evening. Could probably get through 2 12oz bottles the same.

I really enjoyed the Stone IPA I had, so I thought it was a no-brainer to give their Ruination DIPA a try, and I must say it lives up to the hype - as is my experience with most of the Stone offerings I've tried. Ruination is bolder than the standard IPA, piling on more of the citrus flavors I find pleasing, making the beer bigger and more complex; yet Ruination still cleverly disguises the more potent alcohol punch it carries. I definitely recommend this beer. Stone has gone 2 for 2 on their IPA/DIPA in my book.

Buschyfor3, May 03, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

22oz. into a wine glass

Pours the color of translucent fossilized amber. I got a slight head which subsided to a group of largish soapy-looking bubbles clinging to one side of the glass.

This beer smells like a bouqet of flowers. The hoppiness is intense. Made me think of marigolds and roses.

This beer starts with a bit of caramel-malty-sweetness and then slams you with floral, spicy, nuggety hops. As the hop rush is dying down I noticed a bit of citrus orange peel which is gradually replaced by a bitterish woodsy aftertaste. Also, the beer got a bit fruitier tasting as it warmed.

Mouthfeel is full and very tangy. This beer tingles on the back of the throat.

Excellent beer, I would definitely drink again. Seems like it would be especially good on a chilly autumn evening for some reason.

iNHaze, May 03, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +3%

22oz bomber poured into a Stone Imperial Pint Glass

A-Beautiful hazy orange. Kinda like a sunset would look after a few of these. Nice white head that stays around a while, but nothing outstanding.

S-Wow! This knocks my socks off. What a bouquet of citrusy/hoppy aromas here. Its Ruinating my sinus passages but I'm lovin' it.

T-Hops baby! Up in front and representin'! Quite the hop bite with those citrusy notes chiming in. A bit of maltiness to boot.

M-Nice carbonation level, good medium body brew.

D-This is surprisingly drinkable for a DIPA. But don't be fooled, it is a BIG beer.

Hats off to Stone. Those guys really know how to do it!

Lerxst, May 02, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Twenty two ounce bomber poured into a wine glass. Pours a bright golden color topped by about a finger of white head. The beer is a little hazy. Head retention is ok but could be better and there is a lot of lacing. Some bubbles rise in the glass. Very visually appealing.

This one smells great as well. Tons of citrusy, hoppy aroma. Grapefruit, tangerine, and maybe some tropical fruits. Also a little floral. Some malty aromas too. Lightly toasted bread and some caramel sweetness.

Fantastic all around. Starts out kind of grassy and floral. Some citrus too, but not as much as I thought there would be, given the nose. A very nice malt backbone showcased here as well. Flavors are the same as in the nose. Toasted and caramel malts. A little buttery too. Then piney bitterness takes over on the finish, along with a little alcohol bite. A bit of pine resin in the aftertaste.

Good medium body on this one. Carbonation level is great and provides for a nice creamy feel. There is some alcoholic heat from this on the finish. Not too dry though.

This one definitely does ruin your palate to some extent. However, it is delicious, and that keeps me going back for more. I don't know that I would want to drink the whole bomber all at once, but twelve ounces is about the perfect serving size. This would pair great with any spicy meal.

jimj21, May 02, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Ruination. Definitely lives up to its name.

The first 2x/Imperial IPA I've tried. It pours a great translucent golden and orange color color with a white head. Ridiculous amount of citrus, pine and earthiness scents off the bat. The scent is so prevalent - it's great around the nose. Taste is full of hops and citrus. The bitterness immediately presents itself in the aftertaste. 100 IBU's is no joke, it's very noticeable. Great taste nonetheless. Drinkability is not hard, it's sippable. Try it with a burger - it's great! The bitterness shouldn't deter you from trying the beer, it's definitely worth trying and tasting!

infi, May 02, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -7.4%

Pours a dark gold with a nice sized head. Nose of resinous pine and grapefruit hops. Such an intense smell. The taste had a sweet, malty start, but was decimated with a sour, syrupy finish. At times, it had an ice wine feel to it. Drinkability was average. This is another great beer by the guys at Stone.

gameface23, May 01, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

A: Pale orange and slightly hazed. Good white head.

S: Lots of floral hops that overwhelm the nostrils in a very good way.

T: Continuing from the nose, there is an overwhelming sense of fresh floral hops in addition to a nice bready malt base. Some citrus and tropical hops as well.

M: Medium-bodied with good carbonation.

D: Drink this FRESH. I've sampled this several times, and the fresher it is, the better it is. Fresh hops overwhelm in a good way, almost to a sweetness rather than a bitterness. An amazing DIPA.

Thorpe429, May 01, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured a hazy orangy gold with a small head that disappeared quickly. I had practically no lacing at all on this one, but the head may have been from an overly cautious pour on my part.

Big scent of pine and citrus rind here. Good luck finding anything else.

Big hop bite, with a nice combo of pine and citric notes. There is a little sweet malt, but it is immediately kicked into the background by some alcohol. I wish I could split the flavor rating a bit, because they get big points for the hop flavor -- but the residual tastes (meaning all that is left) seem a bit raw and out of place. but this beer is made for hop heads, and it will not disappoint.

Smooth, a bit oily, and a little flat.

Overall, I enjoyed this one. A little more fruit sweetness would have put this over the top for me. But a great brew just the same.

OtherShoe2, May 01, 2009
Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.