Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
auburngrad82

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from a bottle to a pint glass.

A- Pours a beautiful clear golden with a half-inch head. Lacing is great and remains until the beer is finished.

S- Nice floral hop aroma.

T- Wonderful. Very hoppy, but not overly bitter. I taste citrus- specifically grapefruit, pine, and a bit of pepper.

M- Nice medium bodied beer. Leaves you with a pleasantly warm feeling on your tongue.

D- Very good, very drinkable beer. Very hoppy but not too bitter and, while there's an obvious presence of alcohol, it's not overpowering. Very well made beer.

01-25-2009 16:21:47 | More by auburngrad82
jimsimply

Georgia

4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured from bomber into pint glass (twice...mmm)

A: Beautiful cloudy golden color, with a tall and lingering head. Lacing tremendous.

S: Smells like delicious. Lots of citrusy aroma, like fresh, warm oranges, with a strong herbal, almost spruce-ish undertone.

T: Wonderful, full, complex flavor that balances the huge hop taste with high enough alcohol that it's not overpowering. More of the herbal flavors come through for me.

MF: Perfect.

D: While perhaps not a session beer, I had no problem putting away the bomber.

Really enjoyed this beer. Looking forward to having other Stone offerings.

01-22-2009 19:25:06 | More by jimsimply
sonicdescent

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours a nice murky gold with a one finger head that turns into a crown with heavy lacing.

Hop scent is more floral than fruity, but very nice indeed.

Wow this is good. For the palate breaker this supposedly is, it is very nice tasting and refreshing and well worth it's place in the top 100. Fruity hops are the emphasis with less on the (IMHO) less pleasant casade area.

Mouth is medium with medium carbonation. Works here.

I could drink this all the time. I am thinking more often that West Coast DIPAs kick the asses of those from our end.

01-22-2009 04:11:01 | More by sonicdescent
Cunningham26

4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

A- pours a dark blonde haze into an oktoberfest dimply glass, my first unfiltered IPA! a great head that looks a little green! Ok maybe its just the eco friendly fluorescent lights, but hopefully not.
S- Amazing, like the meadow in my dream where a beautiful german beer maid is running towards me, and I towards her, to embrace in the middle.
T- Really great, they did a great job balancing these huge flavors. although a DIPA, it's really well balanced and the bready malt comes through clear with some caramel sweetness and butteriness. i get some of the fruitiness, mostly the high end of citrus, but the combination of that with the malts definitely gives a faint tobacco wisp.
M- really great, does it's job of ruining.
d- For a DIPA, this has probably the best drinkability due to its balance. while i couldn't session, a 22oz bomber isn't hard to get down.

While i loved this, i also love their regular IPA, and don't feel that this is too far above that. Their regular IPA has a great hop profile that is intensified in this brew, but that's not always necessary and for a couple extra bucks i can get a 6 pack of the regular stuff! A great job by the boys in Cali though, I would approach this again, and once again approach with caution.

01-22-2009 03:00:41 | More by Cunningham26
popery

4.47/5  rDev +4%

Very good DIPA. Ruination was one of the first beers to get me hooked on craft beer, and I still like it very much. It has a caramel sweet malty backbone that serves to bring out the hop profile beautifully. Having tried many other DIPAs now, I find that I'm more impressed with the maltiness than the hops. A lot of big IPAs have too little malt sweetness to realize their hop flavors fully. This beer does not suffer from this flaw. The caramel malt is strong and assertive and cuts out most of the hop bitterness, allowing the rich, oily grapefruit flavors of the hops to push to the forefront. I find the hop profile just a tad on the boring side at this point. Let me qualify that quite a bit. I love the hops in Ruination, however it tastes a lot like many San Diego DIPAs. Of course, this is most likely down to other breweries looking to Stone, rather than the other way round. That said, I find the hop profile dominated by bitter grapefruit, without a lot of pine, spruce or floral aspects like you get in some DIPAs. All that said, this is a minor point and it's still a delicious, very hoppy beer. The beer looks pretty great, although after seeing some of the gigantic DIPAs with heads that are almost orange with hop oiliness, my standards are set unbearably high. The feel is very nice. It certainly doesn't "ruin" your palate as much as some overly aggressive DIPAs. I'm surprised at how close I now find Ruination and DFH 90 min, as that seems like an obvious comparison to make. Sure, Ruination has a bit more bitterness, and the hop profiles differ, but both beers have very rich malt characters as compared to many beers in this style. I wonder if their rich malt backbones at somewhat lower alcohol contents plays into their popularity. Now, I'm rambling and I'll wrap this thing up. Ruination is a great beer, and Stone is a great brewery.

01-21-2009 02:36:44 | More by popery
LeftonJackman

4.47/5  rDev +4%

Enjoyed this bully of an IPA with a good friend on a cold Tuesday night.

Served in a pint glass from the well, a right amber with glimmers or orange. Nice head with a pleasing lace striped down my glass.

A very hoppy pine aroma in the nose and a little something citrus that I cannot place. Until...

Strong presence of ruby red grapefruit and imposing hops. A very very delicious IPA!

A warm draw washes down nicely leaving me thirsty enough for another taste, but hard to think of as anything more than a one drink beer. Destined to be one of my favorites!

01-21-2009 01:09:01 | More by LeftonJackman
TStandley13

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

A: Looks like most IPA's, burnt orange color. leaves a decent lace on my glass from a two finger head.

S: uh...hops! Smells like regular Stone IPA.

T: BITTER and SWEET - if thats even possible. Definite IPA taste but bitterness lingers on tounge long after beer is drained.

M: nothing notable

D: pretty drinkable, but leaves you with some serious cottonmouth.

01-20-2009 00:59:54 | More by TStandley13
pd360

Maine

2.03/5  rDev -52.8%

Well, this beer came highly recommended and also suggested by my server at a nice restaurant to go with my main course. When my wife started reading the back of the bottle before I tasted it I already knew it was a poor choice, why would I want something that was going to "ruin" my palate with a nice dinner? The pine and citrus scents that are referred to by other reviewers just hit me as a insect repellent / citronella and the taste was no better. Not only did it taste bad, but it made my dinner taste worse, I will not be drinking this one again.

01-19-2009 22:40:33 | More by pd360
MPLS

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

First off, really cool looking bottle. Stone sure likes to embrace dark creatures and this stamped/etched beer bottle is awesome.

A: A pleasant murky orange with a nice bubbly 2 cm head.

S: 100 IBUs? Floral, with a pronounced hop nose.

T: Expected more bitterness. Good when I am fighting with sweet malts and want some more hops in my life.

M: Medium body, carbonated, hop characteristics.

D: Pretty drinkable, especially with the hops leaving you with a dry palate that beckons you drink more.

01-19-2009 20:54:42 | More by MPLS
farrago

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

Bright amber-red color with plenty of cloudiness to deepen it, good froth with some lacing, hard to see any bubbles. Mixed citrus gives the nose a zesty character, oatmeal, leans heavily on the hops, oily pine and tea leaf, too dense to parse out much else. Medium-bodied with again the kind of density which makes it appear heavier than it is. Some malty softness on the attack but, like duh, it's the hops which run the show. The grapefruit, lemon, orange citrus does slightly sweeten things. Weight and density consistent to finish. Subtle floral notes. Very good beer that I could not drink very frequently.

01-18-2009 00:29:57 | More by farrago
markaberrant

Saskatchewan (Canada)

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

A - crystal clear, light orange, creamy white head leaves behing intricate webs of lace

S - fresh pungent hops, lots of pine, some sweet notes, grapefruit

T - hoppy goodness from beginning to end, really flavourful and tasty, but you still get a nice balance of sweetness from the malt, even a biscuit note in the finish, which is also plenty bitter, aftertaste is more piney hops

M - lip smacking bitterness, slightly oily, medium body and carbonation, touch of alcohol warmth after a couple sips, dry finish

D - a powerful beer, yet still approachable (for those accustomed to a blast hops), which combines to make it a dangerously drinkable choice.

Very impressive. Yeah, Stone is all about the hops, and smashing you over the head with them, but the malt profile is damn tasty, a perfect match for the hops. An outstanding beer, and one I will most certainly seek out again.

01-16-2009 19:45:37 | More by markaberrant
therealnod

Arizona

4.47/5  rDev +4%

Bought this at Sunflower Market. 22oz bomber into a Stone nonic.

A: Gold/orange/copperish, much like Stone's regular IPA. Stark white head with good retention, some lacing.

S: Smells like...their regular IPA with some hops added. A kinda woodsy component comes in.

T: A lot like their, well, their regular IPA with some extra hops thrown in. A big bitter finish that lingers untill the malts come to clean up...quite nice. The only departure from the IPA I detect is that the finish is longer and more bitter with the malts coming later (making the finish...well, longer and more bitter).

M: If I said it was just like their regular IPA, would that surprise you? True to style.

D: As drinkable as...their regular IPA, which means quite.

Notes: Well, it definitely isn't Stone IPA, but it isn't far off. This breew seems lazy to me...just brew the regular IPA and add more hops. That doesn't make it bad, or boring, just unoriginal.I love Stone's IPA, so this can't possibly be a negative review, I'm simply expressing dissapointment that I didn't sample a significantly different beer; it certainly didn't ruin my palate. Stone delivers tons of macho marketing hype, but they brew incredibly balanced big beers.

01-16-2009 18:12:13 | More by therealnod
Grandwazoo

3.93/5  rDev -8.6%

Burnt yellow with orange hints. Okay head.

Big nose of hops with orange and a hint of cinnamon. Wonderful smell.

Sweet apricot and orange malt with cappuccino cream. Nice long flaovor that builds and then setlles into a long hoppy finish. Very -- almost too --- dry at the end....made me a little thirsty!

01-16-2009 11:02:23 | More by Grandwazoo
Riccymon

3.8/5  rDev -11.6%

An average pour from the bottle yielded more than two fingers of pillowy-white head on top of a good-looking, orangey-golden beer. Not surprisingly, hop aromas, particularly of the floral and pine variety, are present, though not overpowering. Ruination's taste is by no means unique among IPAs, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. The herbal, flowery hop notes come through head-on, with a little of the alcohol joining in toward the finish. Despite the intense hopping, I found this beer to be less bitter than expected; the finish even seemed slightly sweet. In addition to a pleasant finish, Ruination was creamy in the mouthfeel, and just generally drinkable.

01-15-2009 01:57:57 | More by Riccymon
Docer

Washington

3.7/5  rDev -14%

Purchased a 22oz. bottle from Belmont Station. Poured into a tumbler glass...

What a nice foggy golden amber look... very little head as poured... minimal lacing as well. To me... a crap-load of lacing doesn't make a beer better than an other.

Smell is quite mild really... almost like the ale is holding on to it's every bit of flavor... locking it all in.Little bit of spice, and pumpkin. Slight banana yeast scent.. but mild.

Bright citrus background on a rather smooth malt finish... yeast is present..

Doesn't leave a dry pallet.. actually doesn't taste nearly as strong as it says... very easy to drink... and really goes right to the brain! Not bad! Not my favorite IPA either..

01-14-2009 01:27:48 | More by Docer
MashMouth

Colorado

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

I was quite suprised by this beer. It pours with a bright golden color and has just the right head. The smells and aromas of this beer are awsome if you like the smell of hops. It reminds me of when I cut open a bag of hops for homebrewing. It has good drinkability the hop bitterness is not so overwhelming as you might think. Ballance was very well achived for such a strongly hoped beer. Although I personally would not tip back a number of these in a row, I find it a good beer to enjoy on occasion.

01-14-2009 00:46:32 | More by MashMouth
JBogan

Nevada

3.4/5  rDev -20.9%

A medium golden/orange color with a large foamy white head. Good lacing.

Smells of citrus, hops and a bit of pine.

Taste wasn't as balanced as I'd like. The hops just dominate everything else. Grapefruit is in there somewhere, along with some malt if you really go looking for it.

Mouthfeel was crisp, if a bit on the thin side. Still, one of the better brews in this regard.

This isn't something I'd care to session. While not as over the top as some of Stone's beers, it's still a little hop heavy for my taste. I'm sure there's a market out there for it though.

01-13-2009 18:59:06 | More by JBogan
Beerbuddha

Louisiana

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Appearance: This beer poured an orange-y yellow with a nice fluffy white head. Lacing was present the whole time.

Smell: Hops and more hops! A nice subtle hint of sour grapefruit.

Taste: A nice toasted bread flavor in the front that is quickly masked by a HUGE bitterness. This beer is HOPPY! Again, as in the nose, a subtle hint of grapefruit. The piney hoppiness dominates here though.

Mouthfeel: Slightly heavy body with medium carbonation. Kind of thick and syrupy.

Overall: Overall this beer appeals to the hopheads only. For the style of beer(Imperial IPA) it is a great beer. It fits the style quite well. I see why they call it Ruination because it completely ruined my palate.

01-13-2009 03:32:57 | More by Beerbuddha
bfields4

Colorado

An appealing pale gold haze gives way to a nice frothy head.

Distinctly hoppy smell lets you know this is def an IPA maybe a little pine also.

The piny bitter taste hits me right away as it is then subdued by a citrus sweetness that gives this beer lasting drinkability for me.

Great mouthfeel with a good balance to its taste that's not to creamy and not to smooth.

This and their regular IPA have sold me on IPAs (not to mention their Belgain IPA). Was starting to turn around and with the help of Boulevard. A trip out to Colorado helped me really appreciate this style.

01-12-2009 03:42:05 | More by bfields4
colts9016

Idaho

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured into an oversize wine glass at about 42 degrees.

Appearance: A medium gold color with an orangish tint. There is a nice one finger head that has some retention. As the dissipates it leaves a nice lacing on the glass. There is some carbonation in the beer. The clarity of the beer is slightly cloudy.

Nose: A heavy grapefruit, pine and floral aroma. There is a subtle sweetness in the maltiness.

Taste: A nice grapefruit, pine and floral, follow a nice malty backbone. There is a subtle sweetness in the beer.

Overall: An astringent chalky mouth feel, with a bitter finish that last on the palate. The IPA is well built and is very nice to enjoy. I don't usually like IPAs but this one is an exception. I like the way it was make and I like Stone brewery. The only thing I can think of is try to bring the maltiness forward a bit.

01-12-2009 02:36:20 | More by colts9016
DeepSix

Maryland

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Had it on tap at Max's. Was a nice cloudy amber/orange color. Lacing lasted pretty much the whole beer.

Smell was a deep hop note, with next to no malt noticeable, unsurprising in the style. Very rich smell.

Continuation of the smell. A rich hop taste, where the malt is a bit more noted here then in the smell. A floral taste in a sense. The hops are noted in the mouthfeel as well so its medium to almost thick, with just a bit of carbonation.

This is a great beer, maybe my favorite DIPA, I could drink a couple of these a night, but I probably shouldn't do too many of them. The alcohol is why, not the hops.

01-11-2009 23:32:59 | More by DeepSix
Brewnami

4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

A- Looks a lot like a hefeweizen- cloudy, light gold appearance. Very fluffy white head.

S- Smells of pine and citrus.

T- Tons of hops. Orange peel, citrus, and pine are present in the after taste.

M- Not watery at all (I dont want to say creamy). Bitter with moderate carbonation.

D- Excellent Imperial IPA. I would say I like the regular Stone IPA better, however. This one is a little heavier than the regular Stone IPA, which makes it a little less drinkable in my opinion. Would prefer just drinking about 3 of these as opposed to an entire 6 pack in one sitting. Highly recommended if you are a big hop fan.

01-11-2009 21:46:24 | More by Brewnami
dalion037

4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

Hoppy, hoppy, hoppy. Oh yeah and it's hoppy too.
If I rank this beer on the hoppiness scale I would have to say that very few beers can beat it. The beer is designed to shock the taste buds with so much hop flavor and bitter bite that the carbonation is almost an after thought. I love this beer. I am a true hophead and this beer is not for the faint of heart. Lift up your glass and sip it down.

01-11-2009 16:23:07 | More by dalion037
Bananaman

Sweden

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

This is my third beer from Stone Brewing, and they are still to dissapoint me. This is almost as excellent as an IPA gets.

The beer pours a burning golden/orange color with a huge white head that stays until the beer is finished. It leaves quite a lacing on the glass aswell.

Smells great of hops and tropical fruits, you can really tell that this one is packed with hops due to the almost parfumy smell of hops.

The taste lives up to the smells with huge amounts of hops. The fruity notes from the smell can really be felt in the taste aswell. There are also notes of pine-needles and some fudge candy. The beer is suprisingly malty for an IPA.

All and all, a great IPA from a great Brewery.

01-11-2009 11:47:51 | More by Bananaman
Beernoisseur

Utah

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Aah, the legendary Ruination from Stone. I've been wanting to try this one for a long, long time.

Poured from a bomber style bottle into a pokal.

A - Beautiful orangey amber with a touch of haze. Nice nuggety head that looked as if it intended to maintain itself forever.

S - Wow. Where to begin? This is a massively complex beer. Citrus with floral. Pine with Herbs, and grasses. Woody and sweet. Dusty, with minerals. I think that about covers it.

T - Wow again. There's just so much there. Fruity esters and alcohol. Citrusy with loads of hops. Pine and herbs (rosemary, lavender?) all over the place. Floral and woody, almost sawdusty. Definitely a huge bitter element, but it's all part of the grand scheme. Excellent flavor in this beer.

M - soft and wonderful

D - I could drink a terrifying number of these beers. They could truly be my ruination.

01-11-2009 08:40:47 | More by Beernoisseur
Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.