Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
Arbitrator

3.95/5  rDev -8.1%

Chilled bomber into a glass. I'm re-reviewing this. The last time I had it, I was really sick of hops and wrote a fairly down review of the beer. I have revisited it now that I'm really into IPAs.

A: Pours a clear orange body with 3 fingers of off-white head. Retention is spectacular, and the film collapses in sections over several minutes into a light collar on the brew. There is a thick sheet of sticky lacing down the glass as I drink. Lazy bubbles up the glass.

S: Hop bouquet. Mostly pine/herbal with a floral note, but there was plenty of citrus in there, too. Some earth.

T: Dominated entirely by hops. The showcase was definitely pine; when I agitated the beer, it was possible to pick up some herbal and floral touches. Through it all, there is an undercurrent of citrus, with particular attention to orange, grapefruit, and lemon flavors. The finish is a bright pine and grassy hop character that pulls into the finish and leaves a lightly sticky, bitter aftertaste. The beer is semi-dry, which explains why I have trouble picking up any malt.

M: Medium-bodied, with moderate carbonation. About right for the style. ABV is well masked. Flavor is a bit sticky, but not too resiny. Semi-dry body and finish.

D: I'll be honest, I've spent so much time drinking Pliny that this just doesn't do it for me anymore. It's balls to the wall hops, without a lot of refinement or balance (two things that I feel Pliny does very well). I'd buy this once in a while, but as far as DIPAs go, it's not at the top of my list.

12-18-2008 21:47:07 | More by Arbitrator
baos

Indiana

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

12 ounce bottle into my Good-Luck Atlas jar.

A: 2 finger white head over a pretty orangey-gold color. Nice lacing.

S: Spice!!! Super hops and a hint of warm malt in there. Someone poured pine resin and kind bud hash in my fresh squeezed orange juice and said, "here: smell!"

T: Now this is about as extreme as it gets before you wonder if someone gave you a glass of retsina. Super grapefruit peel and orange zest flavors that end really bitter and believe or not really good. If it is too much at first take your time and let it warm and sip it. This one will grow on you (That's what she said).

M: Nice medium feel with good carbonation.

D: It is awfully strong but I think three of these over cards of ultra spicy snacks is called for. But a whole sixer may take your taste buds on a field trip that will take a while to recover from.

12-18-2008 02:08:09 | More by baos
jdklks

Nevada

4.6/5  rDev +7%

A- deep, golden tint. very clear, with a nice white foam that lingers for awhile and then leaves traces.

S- magnificent! very very hoppy and fruity. one of the best smelling beers in my opinion.

T- again, magnificent. very hoppy with a lingering bitterness. hints of grapefruit at the end. slightly malty, but the hoppiness is so overwhelming that it establishes itself more than the other flavors. a great beer for the hophead!

M- medium bodied, and again, a lingering presence. very smooth, but at the same time it lets you know that it is there.

D- can easily get through a 6 pack of these and would more often if they werent so damn expensive. they go down easy and leave you feeling good. had to take off .5 of a point for the price as it is a beer that you want to savor, and as such, you only want to drink one or two a night.

12-18-2008 01:22:42 | More by jdklks
magictrokini

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%

Incredible Double IPA. Pours hazy orange-gold with a thick white head. Impressive lacing all the way to the bottom. Huge, massive, colossal hop aroma. Resin, resin, grapefruit, celery, and resin. Taste was immense. Resiny goodness coated evertthing from the white and pink grapefruit to the caramel cookie dough malt. No biscuits, either. I actually like this more than AleSmith's Yule Smith. The taste is stronger, hoppier, and far more bitter. If you do not like IPA's, you will truly hate this beer.

12-16-2008 18:35:15 | More by magictrokini
adamette

3.08/5  rDev -28.4%

Poured from a bomber that I bought about 6 months ago. I have been intimidated by this beer for a long time since I realized shortly after buying it that I was not a big hops fan. I read the back of it and it said something to the effect of "A liquid poem to the hops." On to the review. Poured into my Samuel Smith pint glass.

A Great, generous head which stayed around for at least 3 minutes and as it dissipates there is a great lacing on the side of the glass. The body is a nice orageish brown with visible carbonation bubbles rising from below. A great look, really.

S Hops for sure but there is a balance that I can already appreciate. This does not seem to me that it is going to be completely unbalanced. Behind the hops I can smell some citrus. I am looking forward to tasting it (which I had not before typing those comments).

T Wow...hops in the front and the middle but then the finish is like a strong grapefruit type of bitterness without the sting of hops. Really, there is a nice citrusy taste that lingers. I feel like I am at a breakfast table with half a grapefruit in front of me. There is a warmness also (gained from the alcohol?). This is a heck of a taste. I will struggle with rating it though since I really do not prefer a huge kick of hops and I have never very much liked grapefruit which is a big part of this taste spectrum.

M Full, biting, busy.

D With tastes I do not much enjoy (hops bitterness and grapefruit citrus) I do not find it greatly drinkable.

Notes: I had no reason to be intimidated and neither should you. Maybe some day I will develop a taste for hops and then this beer will be right up there to represent one of the best hoppy beers, indeed a "poem to the hops."

12-16-2008 05:33:28 | More by adamette
Dantheman4162

4.7/5  rDev +9.3%

A very good hoppy IPA. The way an IPA should be, harsh yet refreshing , crisp and clean. The name Stone Ruination seems appropriate. Highly recommended

Good off-white head, good retention, cloudy yellow amber color. hoppy sweet aroma. Initial hoppy rush followed by a sweet finish and slightly bitter after taste mouth tingles. slight foral taste and smell. light-medium body.

12-15-2008 04:58:36 | More by Dantheman4162
BretSikkink

Mexico

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Golden orange color with an attractive white head. This thing is sticky! Nice retention, nice lacing, the whole package.

Aromas of hops squared. Plenty of florals, citrics, resins, etc.

The flavor is hoppy, but very well balanced between a lightly sweet malt and strong citrics. Good mouthfeel, especially for the IBU count.

Good warming booziness with a nice bitter slap in the finish. Ruination is the shit, get yourself some.

12-14-2008 04:10:10 | More by BretSikkink
bifrostguard

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

A - Translucent piss yellowish orange in color with a small off white head that leaves minimal lacing

S - Pine hops with some citrus undertones and good amount of malt sweetness to back it up.

T - Bitter, dry and wonderful. This brew starts out piney bitter, then the malt sweetness kicks in and it's back to the bitter. Citrus acidity is present throughout. A very nicely balanced IPA.

M - Syrupy and drying. Thicker than it looks.

D - This is one of those intermediate beers that could get you into trouble. It's 7.7% so it won't get to you too fast but once the buzz begins this stuff goes down as easy as any other. Happy drinking!

12-14-2008 03:37:21 | More by bifrostguard
champ103

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden orange color. A white head of over two fingers forms and gently recedes. Rings of sticky lace is left behind.
S: A spicy, fruity, hoppiness of course. Bitter grapefruit, apples, and other citrus fruit. An odd aroma of perfume that does not mesh right.
T: Spicy hop bitterness again. Kind of a muted hop flavor though. The bitterness is not over barring like some other DIPA I have had. A very light malt backbone.
M/D: At first a snap of carbonation. A good creaminess follows as it warms up a bit. The high alcohol and bitterness always hurts the drinkablity for me.

This is really not bad. I am not a big fan of the style to say the least. The best attribute is that the bitterness does not overpower. Though the individual hop flavors are not that pronounced IMO.

12-14-2008 01:58:54 | More by champ103
swanmann

Oklahoma

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

I've been waiting to break into this one for a while. It poured slightly hazy dark orange amber with a full sticky off white head that settled into nice lacing after about 5 minutes. As it warms a bit, I detect a very nice orange and citrus aroma with a significant backbone of caramelized sugars and pungent juicy hoppyness. It tastes like hop nectar. Medium to full bodied, slightly syrupy, with sharp hop bitterness. I would call it medium sweet with a medium finish. The hops definitely dominate, but the rest of the brew has not fallen to the wayside. It's not completely dry like so many IPA's, but a delicious bold brew for sure! I give it a high drinkability score for hop and IPA fans.

12-14-2008 00:15:30 | More by swanmann
JayNH

New Hampshire

4.13/5  rDev -4%

A- pours a nice hazy reddish straw color. A foamy head that disapears quickly.

S- Sweet, very citrusy. Notes of lemon, orange, grapefruit. A piney hop scent in the background.

T- Sweet and citrusy like the smell. Finishes with a floral piney hoppiness. Sweeter than other D.I.P.A's I've had, but pleasant. The citrus balances the hops.

M- Smooth and creamy. It gets better as the beer warms and the carbonation dissapates.

D- This brew goes down easy, very drinkable. Though at 7.7% ABV I suspect that these would sneak up on you, pleasantly...

12-13-2008 18:51:41 | More by JayNH
Soneast

Wisconsin

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a semi-cloudy orange to golden color. A ton of bubbles riding the perimeter of the glass. An off-white 2 finger head that creams up to about a 1/4" layer. Has a real nice sudsy lace.

A very refreshing citrus hop aroma initially followed by some nice pine and a touch of freshly cut grass detected.

The taste is sublime. Quite smooth upfront with a very strong, in your face hoppy bitterness throughout with a delightful hint of malty sweetness towards the end and an overall bitter finish. A decidedly citrus, almost peach flavor detected in the background.

I found this to have a great mouth feel, very smooth and refreshing. Just a great beer all around, although at $16 for a six pack this is not exactly a good session beer, yet it IS very drinkable.

12-12-2008 22:14:36 | More by Soneast
beerad666

4.6/5  rDev +7%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into an Imperial Pint. The color is great, it is a cloudy light golden color. There is a nice creamy small white head the builds and quickly resides. Nice lacing. The smell is of course hops. I also get a ton of grapfruit some sugar and a very nice pine aroma. Just all around nice and earthy. Oh the taste! Hops all the way and I love it. The bite is great and I was shocked at how moist it left the mouth. The Runination is very Drinkable for an IPA, I wish I had another to have tomorrow. Recommended for all, especially IPA fans.

12-11-2008 21:49:49 | More by beerad666
cottonkoozie

4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

A - Absolutely beautiful, theres a head, theres lacing. The color is amazing. Thank you hops.

S - WOW, the hops are the first thing noticed, but once you really take a smell, theres more there. Its balanced, has that nice malty undertone that a pale ale should have.

T - This is what beer should be. HOPS, bitterness, malt undertones, spices, and that fruity balance.

M - Great, could be a little more full, but still really good.

D - I'd drink this all night, and probably end up trashed, but who cares!

This stuff is great, VERY pricey, but worth it. If you have never had a beer with a lot of hops, this ain't the place to start, but if you like pale ale's find this and try it. I remember when I was in high school and thought I hated hops, couldn't stand the bitter taste, now I can't get enough! GIVE ME MORE!

12-11-2008 02:04:45 | More by cottonkoozie
mtbbaboon

Connecticut

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%

I picked up a 22oz'er. Poured this into my unofficial offical IPA glass (a Guinness pint glass). Pours a light golden color. Moderate head that fades quickly. Nice lacing on the glass. It has a nicely balanced smell of hops, pine and fruit. Not real overpowering and well balanced. As with the aroma, the taste is very well balanced. They didn't just dump a pile of hops into this. The hops and pine complement each other nicely, and a real nice bitterness follows (makes me wonder what the IBU is). For an IPA, it's light bodied and is real easy to drink. It leaves some stick in the mouth, and the bitterness almost has me rubbing my teeth. This a real good IPA and a very enjoyable drink. The Stone Brewery is new to me and I have been very impressed so far.

12-10-2008 22:48:40 | More by mtbbaboon
hoplover82

4.3/5  rDev 0%

MMMmmmm...The aroma is of piney and citrus zest and juicy citrus. Can't barely detect any barley in the aroma.

It pours an almost clear golden hay color. With a thick and creamy but slowly dissapating head. The off white head leaves in its train thick, beautiful lacing.

The flavor is pretty bitter but not realy harsh, but not smooth as a babies behind either (a little too bitter IMO). There is grapefruit and pine resin in the flavor.

Nice lingering dry bitterness in the finish.
Full bodied. Another great big beer from the brewers at Stone. Thank folks. Thank the Lord Jesus for the hop harvest.

12-09-2008 12:56:42 | More by hoplover82
Vendetta

3.65/5  rDev -15.1%

Original Rating Date:
July 31, 2008

Unbelievably hoppy. Strong grassy, herby smell. Excellent, mouth-wetting aroma. One of the best noses I've tried. One of the better imperial IPAs I've tried. Doesn't quite compare to the Dogfish head 90 minute or Lagunitas Maximus, despite the higher IBU count. DFH/Maximus both have more of a fruity, complex, complete taste. For true hopheads, this beer can't be ignored.

12-07-2008 22:30:33 | More by Vendetta
dukedevil0

4.3/5  rDev 0%

Picked up this bomber from either Jungle Jims or Party Source outside of Cincinnati, OH...can't remember.

A: Pours a pale yellowish-orange amber with lots of frothy white head with a vigorous pour and good lacing on the glass.

S: Super hops and citrus. Smells delicious and this scent would be a great air freshener.

T: Hops are there but less than in the smell, some citrus, somewhat sweet with a muted bitter in there.

M: Refreshing with a slight bite. Thin but not in a bad way. Not a lot of carbonation, but that may have been due to the pour since lots of froth was present.

D: I think it's very drinkable. The alcohol is not very noticeable. It drinks thinner with good flavor so it'd be a good session beer.

I'd like to try this side by side with the regular Stone IPA to see what the difference is, because from memory they don't seem too different. I like this. Wish it had a little more sweetness that I prefer.

12-02-2008 17:30:53 | More by dukedevil0
SwiftyMcBeer

Indiana

4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours a very nice orange haze. Very white head, little to no carbonation. Smells fantastic, a pine forest crossed with a pineapple plantation type smell. Tastes is dominated by a burning flavor of hops. No surprises there, this punches you in the face with its hops as much as anything I've ever had. I don't know about the bottles claim that other beers will be ruined for you permanently, but maybe other beers will be ruined for you that night. It would be hard to get the taste of this beast out of your mouth. Highly recommended.

12-02-2008 16:28:46 | More by SwiftyMcBeer
mdagnew

United Kingdom (Northern Ireland)

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

355ml bottle bought from Beersofeurope.co.uk...

Poured a crystal clear golden orange colour. Slightly off white head poured quite big and foamy then faded fairly quickly to wispy covering with thick edging... no carbonation at all... light patchy lacing...

Aroma - Lots of (over) ripe tropical fruits (pineapples, limes, mangoes, grapefruits), strong piney resin, citrus and grassy hops, some rubberiness, floral honey, very perfumed, oaky traces, some vanilla, faint talcum powder / chalky notes, light almond nuttiness, some boozy esters...

Taste - Lots of strong piney and citrusy hop bitterness to the fore with some medicinal notes in the background, quite herbal - hints of basil and rosemary, very floral and perfumed, some light sweet malts come through after the hops, very spicy and juicy fruits (grapefruits, limes, sour apples, pears), some chalkiness, faint vegetal traces...

M&D - Fairly smooth with a little oiliness in the background then some sharpness comes through - your mouth will tingle for a while after drinking a bottle of this... medium bodied... probably couldn't drink too many of these in one sitting...

Overall - An excellent and very well balanced DIPA... recommended...

12-02-2008 09:53:16 | More by mdagnew
corby112

This is a perfect beer for hopheads. It pours a nice orange amber color with a thick foamy off-white head. Aroma is dominated by bitter earthy and citrus hops. Very bitter hoppy flavor that lasts throughout with a perfect malt backbone balance. It is like biting into a plant. One of the bet IPAs(or any other beer) I've ever had.

12-02-2008 07:44:17 | More by corby112
Jablonski

Louisiana

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured into a pint glass

Appearance: golden orange appearance with medium-sized head; head dissappates quickly and leaves no lacing.

Smell: the hops are most apparent; I can also pick up hints of grapefruit and sugar

Taste: Its hops and bitterness all the way; there is a small citrus undertone in the beer--just enough to give the beer some flavor besides the apparent bitterness

Drinkability: is there really any other beer you would want to have after drinking this? Honestly I wouldn't recommend having more than two in one sitting (I prefer to have one followed by a beer with specialized flavor like a Pecan Ale--really brings out the taste to me for some reason)

12-02-2008 05:25:33 | More by Jablonski
MacDomer

4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured into my standard nonic.

A - Pours a slightly hazy yellow-orange. Huge white head which lasts for quite a while. Dripping sticky lace just coats the entire glass.

S - Very strong smell, noticeable from a good foot away. Tons of hops - citrus and pine, some pineapple and orange. Some candied sugar as well.

T - Hops galore! Citrus, pine, all the way through, with some sweet malts making an appearance at the end.

M - Pretty creamy, moderate carbonation at the end. Bitterness throughout, but still very smooth.

D - Alcohol is well hidden, and this is a delicious beer.

11-29-2008 04:20:16 | More by MacDomer
etaggie09

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

appearance: honey-sand colored body with an egg shell colored head persists wonderfully. leaves heavy lacing on the glass too. i love seeing all the carbonation bubbles flying to the surface.

aroma: not too complex. this one's all about business. i smell grapefruit and pineapple. very appealing nose. there's some tangerine in there too. malt isn't coming through much though.

taste: very nice, clean, and punchy. lingers wonderfully too. feels like sucking on the straight hop nectar. this one is a lot more refined than arrogant bastard. very enjoyable. this is a very stately beer.

mouthfeel: interesting. more carbonation than i thought would be there. i like it even though i think it's a bit much. other than that, it is pretty spot on. not thin but not cloying. very nice.

drinkability: very powerful, but not heavy. very enjoyable beer that i would have again.

11-28-2008 23:16:27 | More by etaggie09
Rayek

Colorado

A: Pale copper color with a slight chill haze. Fairly active carbonation. Off-white head has good retention and leaves a nice lace behind.

S: There's no mistaking what this beer brings to the table. The nose is greeted with a wall of citrus and pine hops, with maybe a hint of alcohol. Hop scent is so pronounced, that I might as well have been sniffing a bag of freshly reaped cones.

T: Bitter, bitter and more bitter. A hop head's delight. The hops are this beer's flavor. No more, no less. Lemon, grapefruit and pine interplay nicely. Toasted malt is there, but you have to search for it to taste it. Finishes with a tart and puckering bitterness that lingers nicely.

M: Medium-heavy body is oily and leafy. Carbonation level is a bit on the high side.

D: I have to be in just the right mood for a beer like this. I like my hops, but this beer is almost too much for me. That said, this beer is excellent at doing what it's designed for. Definitely worth a revisit when the mood is right.

11-28-2008 22:26:35 | More by Rayek
Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.