Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
4.3/5  rDev 0%

I've been craving this beer, but my usual store only had bottles past best by date. I finally found a bomber at a different store with an acceptable amount of time left. Well, it pours a hazy, golden color, with a smallish head. The smell is your typical pine, with light citrus that you expect in a DIPA. The taste for me is more resinous pine than citrus. Jacked up bitterness, which I love in an IPA, double or otherwise. It doesn't have that malty balance that other DIPAs usually have, which, in this case, is fine with me. The mouthfeel is less creamy than I expected. Very good overall. I dig most Stone beers and this one is no exception.

3.71/5  rDev -13.7%

Today Sietse (apophis666) paid me a visit. He loves the IPA beers so i cracked a few open. I got this bottle in a trade with listenatjoes.

This beer is not my style to be honest and this beer was an exeption (happy!!).

This beer has a light citrus taste ans there is some creamyness. There is no real bitter aftertaste and that makes this beer a good one for a non IPA lover.

3.02/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Aromas of a boat ton of citrus and grapefruit hoppiness. Underlying light pale malt sweetness beneath the hops.
The taste is big big citrusy hops upfront along with lots of bitterness; extremely dry finish. Citrus returns in the aftertaste along with some lesser grapefruit and some sticky pine as well.
The mouthfeel is medium bodied with average carbonation. This brew really dries out the mouth; I need a pretzel to clean my palate after this hop monster.
Overall this beer is just too resiny and bitter with zero malt backbone that I just can't get into. It literally ruins your palate as it promises and I appreciate the purpose but this is over the top. Some may like this but I am not one of them.

4.04/5  rDev -6%

Poured from a 22 in Blythe, CA. Tasted fresh and such a nice sharp hop flavor.
A - nice golden, orangy hue. two finger head that fades quickly. nothing notable.
S - a little lite on aroma out of the bottle, subtle hints of malt, sweet hops
T - sweet touch to the string of the hops. lots of bitterness but balanced nicely with the malt. all around nicely balanced.
M - carbonation is pleasant, maybe a touch light.
O - really nice IPA with a pleasant balance to this 100+ IBU beer. Nicely done and a really drinkable brew.

1.51/5  rDev -64.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

I have to start out saying this is probably my least favorite style of beer so hop lovers can likely disregard my ratings. I am one of those people that is really sensitive to bitter tastes so it is not a surprise that I wouldn't be a big fan of this style.

A-Clear with orange amber appearance, weak head

S-Oh shit, this one is going to stick with me. Welcome to hopland!

T-Yep hop bomb, 10 minutes later it's still there, bitter, grapefruit, astringent mouthdrying NW US hops. There might be some alcohol in there too-but it doesn't matter I'd have to choke down another drink.

M-Pine sap? Gross

D-I'd rather drink yak piss.

Tastes like other double IPAs I've tried except it's exceptionally lingering so I guess it's average for the style. If you like in your face hops-give this one a try. If you're not a hop bomb fan-I guess stay away like I normally do.

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

Appearance: Pours a light orange glow

Head: Big frosty yellow head with a heavy lace

Smell: Big clean citric on the nose

Taste: Floral hops scream on my palate with bitters on the roof of my mouth

Weight: Quite light for a DIPA with a medium to low carbonation

Finish: Floral notes stick around for a long time next to a subtle heat and stickiness on the lips

351st review on BA
Bottle to tulip
12oz bottle

App- Deep orange with striking yellow accents and a great two finger head.

Smell- Huge hops, very hop forward and strong citrus more orange vs. grapefruit.

Taste- This is just a palate wrecker. My tounge was done after this and this is why I saved it till last. Big hops and a matching bitterness make this a classic and even has a nice tangerine finish.

Mouth- Medium bodied with a medium carbonation and a dry hop finish. Just one of the most well finishes for a hop head.

Drink- I'll have this again. Just too good not to. A very good DIPA and the spicy, bold, dry hops are just a tounge overload but well worth it.

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Best by date of 5-3-11 on the bomber which I poured into my duvel tulip.

A--Bright orange with a little bit of cloudiness. I aggressively poured it and the bright white head was beautifully thick. With each sip, the beer retained on the walls of the glass. It was a very sticky retention.

S--Hops, hops, and then more hops! On another level there is sweet fruit, grapefruit and lemon. Then there comes a wave of pine which is either like an evergreen forest or freshly cut grass. Get a little bit of malt in it too.

T--Piney hops. The bitterness punches you in the face over and over again. Get a bit of grapefruit with each sip. I was drinking this while eating a lime cupcake and that really helped bring out the fruit in the beer. Love the taste.

M--Bit of carbonation in the tongue. Other than that, the tongue and the whole mouth just tastes bitter with the sips. Seriously,this is one of the bitterest drinks I have ever tasted.

O--I love hops, and I love bitter IPAs. This makes this beer perfect for me. If you are a hophead like myself, give this a try if you haven't. One of the best DIPA on the market

4.62/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours a hazy amber color into a snifter with only slight head and a small amount of lacing. The aroma is of flowers, citrus, and hops. It tastes of all of the above and very dry with a mouthfeel of dryness also. This has recently become one of my favorite DIPAs.

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Crystal clear strawberry blond liquid with tiny dancing bubbles keep the creamy head afloat a long time. Glass etched all the way down with spider webs.

Smell is all hops: pine, resin, citrus, grass. Well balanced among assertive players.

Taste starts warmly bitter and dry. Wrings your palate like a washcloth. Then lingers long enough for your taste buds to come-to, then slams them again with lingering bitterness, particularly as it slowly dissipates from the palate. There is enough sweet malt to keep this from becoming harsh. Finishes floral & astringently dry. It s just a little too-light bodied, but that's me quibbling.

Overall, this is an incredible peak in the IPA world: lives up to its name as it's hard to pop open lesser beers. This one will be craved. I'm thrilled I was able to find a 6 pack of 12 oz bottles.

There's a throaty-into-the-chest warming that I've only ever experienced with Hoptimum. I likened that to the chili-high that chiliheads get with the spiciest dishes.

4.12/5  rDev -4.2%

Enjoy by 4-10-11. Glad to find this fresh(ish) on the shelf.

A - Crapload of bubbly offwhite head from the first pour...I was being nice, too. Dark yellow body with some bubbles rising. Good lacing.

S - I can smell some pretty killer hops from here...under my nose it's kind of like a bitter pine tree that sprouts light smelling flowers and grows some sweet oranges. or something

T - It's my fault that this isn't very cold, but I can't be blamed for the light bitterness that this beer has. It's also got kind of a muted grapefruit flavor. I thought it would be (i.e. it probably should be) bigger and crazier. Still good.
Edit: corked the bottle, stuck it in the freezer, now it's much better. these flavors pop a lot more when cold

M - Somewhat bland and smooth, not so good for the style. Big body, though.

O (D) - Ya know, this is good, and since it had a pretty bad pour and wasn't very cold, I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt. I'll try it again and pour it better, and I'll expect more. As it is, it's a good beer.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

On tap, poured into a pint glass and reviewed from notes taken at the bar.
Beautiful creamy foam head one and a half fingers and a nice small layer remains throughout the beer and leaves leaves beautiful creamy lacing with amazing retention. Resiny hops in the nose. Bitter smell. Grapefruit tropical mango and very bitter as the name indicates. I typically would say this beer was too bitter but its just so delicious Dry bread-like mouthfeel highly cabonatrd with small light bubbles. . Incredibly drinkable at such a high bitterness. Ended up sessioning it because it truly ruined my palate.

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

served in pint glass

A = creamy 2 finger head over clear amber liquid.

S = VERY citrusy hops (mainly orange) with trace of caramel malt

T - largely follows aroma, but starts sweet before strong bitter! (brewer says IBU > 100!) hop hit. Excellent with spicy food.

M - smooth but unremarkable.

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

Beer labelled "enjoy before" 04-11-11.

Beer is a translucent golden orange in colour, with a generous finger width of white head that slowly reduces.

Hops are present in the smell, of course. Bitter citrus, grapefruit. Very faint pine smell.

Taste-wise, the bitterness comes through strongly. The citrus is more subdued, but certainly present, grapefruit in particular. The juicy citrus flavours become more pronounced the more I drink it, perhaps as I get more used to the bitterness which was initially almost all I tasted. A floral taste abounds as well. A bit of caramel near the end, but the aftertaste is all bitterness. Alcohol is quite subdued.

As for mouthfeel, it is moderately carbonated, and very nicely medium bodied. Flows around really nicely, feels great to swish around. It really does have a big juicy feel to it.

Overall, a very good beer. The bitterness is almost too much, particularly the aftertaste, which is quite mouth-drying. However, as the bottle progresses, it gets very tasty. I was underwhelmed at the beginning, but it started to open up for me. Very enjoyable.

4.14/5  rDev -3.7%

22oz brown glass pry-top bottle. Neck dated Enjoy Before 5/22/11.

Quick review: Crystal clear orange with some thin white head. Nose is like fruit loops: orange, lime, lemon and a little cereal grain. Palate is crisp and bitter right off the bat! Lemon, lime and the big orange. A little pine, but very citrusy. Bitter and dry finish. Texture is a little lacking in bottle form. Draft version I recently enjoyed had better texture.

4.23/5  rDev -1.6%

Found this beer very fresh at my local liquor store.

Appearance-Light Golden/Orange color, white head that leaves plenty of lacing, it's nice to just stare at.

Smell-Hops, Grapefruit, Floral Notes, alot like the IPA.

Taste-Hops. 100+ IBUs is no lie, hops are the star. You do get the citrus and floral notes as well. It tastes like a roided up Stone IPA. The bitterness and dryness makes you keep going back for more.

Mouthfeel-Medium bodied with lots of carbonation. Bitterness coats your mouth but the citrus really keeps it balanced.

Overall-Stone says this beer will "Ruin your Palate" which is pretty true, don't think I can drink something after this one. I recommend sipping it, especially if your planning on drinking a bomber on your own. As the beers temp rises you get more citrus which is really nice. Great beer to finish the day with.

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

Been working my way through the best of the best of DIPA's. Stone Ruination was next on the list.

A - Pours a nice golden yellow. A good two finger head recedes to leave a nice lacing around the top of the glass.

S - Strong hop scent, not as piney or flowery as one might like.

T - A very good DIPA. Maybe a little more bitter than I typically like but otherwise very well done. Definitely deserves to be in the top tier of IIPA's.

D - Goes down easy, a little aftertaste from the bitterness, but otherwise an all around tasty beer.

M - Good body and carbonation, no complaints here.

I've definitely rank a couple of IPA's higher on my list than this one. Pliny and Green Flash to name two West Coast and Captain Lawrence and Flower Power on the East Coast. This one is easily in the top 10, just not at the very top of the list. Will drink this again.

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

In tap poured into a snifter.

Pours a nice light pale orange with a small white head. Nose is fruity, bitter and hoppy.

Taste is obviously very hoppy. Lots of vegetal and grassy flavors along with some earthy and sweet notes. Mango fruit flavors are nice and balance out the bitterness.

Medium carbonation with a light body make this very easydrinking.

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from a bomber into my DFH snifter.

A: Poured a bright golden hue with 2 fingers of white frothy head. The head slowly dissipated while I drank my glass but left great lacing down my glass.

S: Pungent to say the least. Great piney and citrus(grapefruit, orange peel) hops dominate the senses. Has a very sweet caramel background , very very enticing.

T: Hops, hops and more hops!! The taste follows the nose. Has a great grapefuit/orange peely citrus taste that mixes perfectly with the sweet pine notes. Has a great caramel background complimenting all of the hop domination.

M: Medium bodied with just the right amount of carbonation. You get all of the flavors with a drying bitter after taste.

O: This is an amazing beer. It is very hopforward but very complex at the same time. Stone did a great job on keeping this a west coast styled IPA and still keeping it somewhat balanced. Don't hesitate, pick up a sixer or a bomber today! Cheers

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass. Best by date is 4/11/11. Pours a bright, slightly cloudy yellow orange with a finger of foam. Nice carbonation. Great lacing. I love the way this beer smells. Lightly sweet and oh so hoppy. Mango, orange peel, and peach. The malt lies submissively underneath it all. It knows its roll. Carbonation is spot on. Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Grapefruit and pine flavors play lightly on the palate. Not too resiny so it goes down relatively light and easy. Finish is dry, long, and hoppy. This is where the IBUs get you. Its not until long after you swallow that you feel like you've been chewing on a mouthful of fresh hops. Still one of my favorite DIPAs. I don't know how Stone managed to craft such a hoppy, bitter beer and keep the flavors light enough to make it very drinkable but I'm glad they are keeping it up!

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

From our bomber we pour a beautiful brew of golden honey color. Despite a relatively hard pour a minimal one finger head of white bubbles is produced. It recedes at a medium pace, leaving little bits of particulate lace, and a nice film of hefty bubbles across the top of the beer. There is a definite haze to the beer, but no sediment is noted. Carbonation look slowed by the syrupy thickness of the beer. As we sniff, bitter leaf and pine hops hit the nose hard. There is a sickly sweet orange citrus twang floating among them, and earthiness pops through. Malts act to balance the aromas nicely, imparting a bit more sweetness to the bitterness that is the hops. Yeast and a pinch of booze are just palpable over each hop wave. The taste begins with grassy hops that seem, briefly, somewhat floral. Cleanliness and sweetness of malt immediately balance what would otherwise be extreme hop bitterness. The middle shows more bitterness, but it rides tight against the top of the palate. The rest of the mouth is filled with malts and some simultaneously biting and sweet citric character. As the taste rounds out for the finish, earthiness bubbles up. This is, again, from the hops, but also from a faint mineral flavoring prickling the tongue. The aftertaste breathes with sweet and bitter hoppy nectar, with hints of more grassy hops and some booze thrown into the mix. The body is medium and the carbonation is medium. Each sip imparts a thickness to the lips, with a generous coating down the throat with every pass. The mouth, in the end, is left astringently dry, and suckling. The brew is creamy to sip, and nicely palpable. The abv is within range and the beer drinks with ease.

Overall, what we found most enjoyable about this brew was its unabashed hoppiness. Many IPAs and even DIPAs will go lighter on the hop flavoring, while delivering much of it to the nose. Here there is a wonderful amalgamation of taste and aroma, where the flavors and smells seem to match up expertly, making this a contender for the style.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

A - Beautiful hazy orange yellow color with tiny hints of amber. Very nice white foamy sticky resiliant head and very nice lace.
S - very nice aroma of hop, sweet malty pine notes, grapefruit, sweet citrus, and some earthy notes on the back.
T & M & D - Great pine sweetness that opens to citrus juice and some pinapple. There is a tiny roast caramel finish to the front end. Then the hop bitterness comes in a great way and finishes the middle taste with a after burn of floral exhale. There is a slightly earthy bitterness and alchohol warmth that sits on the back of the palate after each sip.

Very good and complex IPA that is hopped up but still manages to be balanced and a great all around beer.

-Cheers

4.02/5  rDev -6.5%

22 oz bomber with a enjoy by 3-27-11 date.

Pours a hazy orange tan color. A nice fingers worth of off white head. Quickly subsides into wispy patches across the top. Chill haze clears up as the beer warms. A bit underwhelmed by the smell, more then likely due to age. I pick up grapefruits, and cedar at first. Also there is some alcoholic scents, if you know what I mean. Hop smell diminshes as time passes and im left with malty aromas of fresh dough and a bit of maple. This beer is mighty tasty and more balanced then you might think. Hop flavors have subsided but the bitterness aspect has not. I pick up pine, grapefruit, a cedar wood like taste. I get tastes of vanilla and maple from the malt. There is a pleasing charred taste tha kicks in at the end of each sip, its very nice. This beer clears the palate quickly and leaves a dry taste in your mouth.
This beer held up well despite consuming near its best by date. I know its not what it is fresh but it is still nice with some time on it. I definetly want to try this beer as fresh as possible.

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured from 12oz bottle into tulip glass. Best by 4/11/11
A) Slightly hazy, but still transparent golden orange color with a thin off-white head. Lots of carbonation. Leaves good lacing on the sides of the glass as well as some alcohol feet.
S) I can smell the hops from 2 feet away. When I stick my nose in the glass, I get lots of citrus, grapefruit notes. Underlying malty sweetness beneath the hops. Smells great.
T) Big citrusy hops upfront along with lots of bitterness. Dry finish. Citrus returns in the aftertaste along with bready malts and a lingering bitterness.
M) Medium body. Not overly carbonated, but not flat either. Dries out the mouth but not as much as other West Coast IPAs that I've had.

Overall, this is a solid Double IPA, but I've had better. Looks and smells great, but I would have liked a more robust flavor.

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Great initial appearance. Clear amber with 2 thumb head that has lasting lacing.

S: Scent of citrus and resin. Very fresh and inviting. I hint of carmelly malt towards the end.

T: Extremely tasty. Hop heavy smoothly transitions into a warm finish. Love it.

M: Slightly thicker and less carbonated than some other double IPA's, but it is very enjoyable.

D: Extremely drinkable from a taste perspective. Deliciously smooth and flavorful. The slightly high ABV at 7.7 keeps this from being an all nighter.

Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.