Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

So here's the thing with this one. I tried a Ruination shortly after I began reading BA (I wasn't a member yet) and I thought I could handle it. I knew I wanted to like it--people seemed to love it. I just couldn't do it though. Ended up being a drain pour for me (sadly). After letting my palate mature a little more, I'm excited for this one.
Poured from a bomber into one of my favorite glasses.

A- Looks like a solid IPA-- Golden-orange with about an inch and a half of foamy head. Good retention. Laces nicely.

S- Lots of hops--mainly grapefruit and pine notes. Strong and delicious. A little malt background, but faint. I could smell it as soon as I opened the bottle.

T- Good, but not necessarily as good as I wanted it to be. The aroma hops in the nose give way to a blast of bittering hops (I guess I should expect this from 100+ IBUs). Slightly puckering in the beginning, but better as I go along. Lightly roasted malt in the background but very faint. I can't believe how much more drinkable this is to me now than it was when I started craft beer-ing. Leaves a piney aftertaste, slightly dry.

M- Medium to light bodied, a little creamy. Not bad for an IPA.

D- I could have the whole bomber, sure (this time around!), but I couldn't have much more of it. I'm kind of afraid my poop is going to smell like Pine-Sol tomorrow...

All in all, a good beer. Not so sure I'm a huge fan of the hop profile--I tend to like a little sweeter IPA. Definitely one to remember though.

LordAdmNelson, Apr 03, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass to share with a buddy.

Pours a nice rusty orange with about a finger of thick head.
I am uneasy about giving a 5 but the smell is phenomenal. A thousand hop "flavors" that make up the aroma cause instant salivation.

Taste: Bitter, and tangy, refreshing and hoppy, mainly piney hops followed by citrus and fruity and then more bitter. Alcohol is for the most part un-noticable

The ultimate palate ruiner, fairly true

This is the definitive Imperial IPA for me.

Imsothirsty, Apr 02, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

Appearance
Thin Long lasting head with little lacing. Color is a pale dirty blond color ( 7-9 srm) its a bit hazy, but it clears up.

Smell- Strong hop aroma with citrus/grapefruit undertones.

Taste- Smooth Strong hop bitterness. Little to no malt flavor.

Drinkability/Overall- Smooth strong Ipa not think and clawie as some can be. Not my every day Double IPA but I am not a hop head.

VtBrew, Apr 02, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -14.4%

Slightly cloudy light amber with moderate head. Strong hop aroma including grapefruit, pine notes, and generic citrus.

Taste is overwhelmingly hops with a hint of sweetness. Up front there is a strong bitterness that gives way to a strong sense of grapefruit. That is followed with a moment of sweetness, then like a punch in the face, the rest of the bitterness rolls in and lingers long after swallowing.

I know this is exactly what the brewer was going after, but I would have prefered more hop flavor and less hop bitterness.

joerodiii, Mar 31, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This was the beer that got me hooked on DIPA's. This has a decent appearance to it. Bright amber color with stark white head atop. Very strong bitter hop scents, mostly pine coming off this. Again, the hops take over the flavor with this one, killing whatever sweetness the malt had in mind. If you are a hop lover, the piney aftertaste will love you long time. Nice mouthfeel, rather light. Drinkability is high due to lower ABV (for a DIPA at least).

youngblood, Mar 31, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -15.6%

"A liquid poem to the glory of the hop"

Poured from a 22oz. bomber.
Pretty clear golden amber orange color with a finger and a half of white bubbly head.

I smell a florally perfumey aroma off the bat. Slightly citrus but mostly floral.

Taste is pretty much the same as the scent. Finishes somewhat on the bitter side.

This is a decent DIPA. I wouldnt say call it great but it's enjoyable.
Pretty balanced mouthfeel and finish is good.
I could drink a bunch of these.

BigMike, Mar 31, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

On tap at Abraxas, into a St. Bernie's chalice it went. Straw-ish gold, thin head. Tried alongside Maharaja, this has a more varied nose - somewhat less citrus, a little more pine. Taste follows the nose, with the hops kicking ass in the forefront. Compared to the Maharaja, very little malt backing, so this is more of a puckering hop assault. Feel is downright light for a DIPA, making this dangerously drinkable. Alcohol is on the light side for this style, further adding to drinkability.

Patrick999, Mar 30, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

From a bomber this beer pours a hazy amber-orange, very similar to the standard Stone IPA. Nice and sticky, off-white head. Huge aroma of floral hops, medicinal notes, and some alcohol.

This is a very citrusy, dry and bitter beer, but not overpowering like some other imperial IPAs. There's some biscuity malt, but this thing is all hops. The mouthfeel is incredible, very smooth and resinous, with low carbonation, which I love. Very lemony and puckering overall, but not too heavy and pretty drinkable. Alcohol is somewhat apparent. Enormously bitter aftertaste. Yep, this bomber ruined my palate for anything else the rest of the night. Awesome.

dasenebler, Mar 30, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my shaker "pint" glass. Appears a hazy apricot color with about two fingers of tight off white head. A thick lace coats the inside of the glass with each sip. Smells of citrus hops, mainly grapefruit, some orange and lemon, Caramel malt, and floral hops. Tastes of tongue puckering hops - grapefruit pith, orange peel, pine caramel, very sticky and resinous. Medium in both body and carbonation. Think I'll have another.

ClockworkOrange, Mar 30, 2009
4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

22oz bottle acquired in trade(thanks kiefdog!) Poured into pint glass. Pours a hazy golden color with a finger of foamy white head. Smell is hoppy, citrus, grapefruit mostly. Taste is grapefruit like hops upfront with a strong malt presence. Not a hop bomb like I was expecting but really good. Light-medium bodied mouthfeel. The easy drinking mouthfeel and low ABV(for a DIPA) make this extremely drinkable. Just an awesome beer from Stone. I will be buying/trading for this again.

dakid618, Mar 30, 2009
4.3/5  rDev 0%

The nose on the beer is filled with centennial hops and some fruitiness. The nose is quite pleasant. The colour of the beer is golden/light copper colour The beer come across as quite bitter with some notes of alcohol at the end, but there is a strong citrus flavour in the background. The beer is incredibly balanced even with the huge bitterness. The pale malts of the beer come through slightly, but there isn't much there. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied, so it fits well. The beer is probably the most drinkable IIPA, I've ever had. It's so smooth and subtle, but complex. Great tasting ale, but it needs more hop complexities. It's an all centennial beer, so it tastes great, but it's just lacking a bit of punch in the hop department (I know it sound weird to say that for an IIPA, but I like the complexity of mixed hops!)

swizzlenuts, Mar 28, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours a yellow-orange with a nice thick head with good lacing down the glass. There is a very sweet grapefruit/citrus zest and pine aroma. Tastes like grapefruit juice up front and pine in the finish. There is an alcohol taste and warmth also in the finish with a bitterness that lingers on and on. Very good flavor, but a little strong and can be overwhelming.

Kromes, Mar 28, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

Long week and I needed a powerful beer.

The beer pours a wonderful light copper golden color with lots of bubbles floating off the bottom. Like a hop champagne. Just a small white head that trails down the glass.

The smell is all floral hops and wonderful.

Taste is nice and bitter. It may be the same color as a beer like Pliny but it is much more bitter. A nice hop aftertaste and some lingering hop bitterness. Not much of the floral aspect of the hop but that was not what I wanted today.

Mouthfeel is thick and resiny. It stays in your mouth after the sip and reminds you that you just had an excellent beer.

I love this beer, it is much more bitter and hoppy than you would expect from an average IPA, but perfect for a Stone IPA. This beer lives up to what the brewery is doing. I love drinking one on a nice cool afternoon after a long week of work.

tjsprague, Mar 28, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -4%

poured a cloudy amber copper with a light film head that left small lacing
Smell is as if I stumbled into a pine forest
Taste is huge pine hops that seem to mellow out as it warms, or maybe it just killed my taste buds
mouthfeel is light to medium bodied and bright on the tongue, the bitterness in the end just made me more thirsty
drinkability just way to intense to have more than one

sliverX, Mar 27, 2009
2.5/5  rDev -41.9%

A--Beautiful crystal clear amber, this beer almost was shining out of the pint glass. Only got about a half finger of head from a standard pour and it dissipated fairly quickly. Decent lacing left behind

S--I was expecting a hop bomb but this is surprisingly subdued. In fact, I smell more malt than hops (but not much of either). Weird. Did I get a bad bottle? Its not that it smells bad. The smell that is there is pleasant, but I have to really stick my nose into that glass to get anything.

T--I don't get much at first but after it is in my mouth for a moment a very strong grassy/bitter hop taste comes to the forefront. A lingering bitterness overpowers anything else I get out of this. That would be fine if there were other flavors in there as well, but all I really get is grass and bitterness.

M--Very light in body, nothing special but nothing unappealing either

D--I didn't even want to finish my bomber of this. It was easy to drink, but I had no interest in it and eventually I just stopped caring.

alcstradamus, Mar 25, 2009
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I can find this one in bottles locally, but I was lucky enough to try this one on tap as took advantage of a chance to visit the Stone Brewery in Escondido, Ca while on a business trip, and we also did the tour. Ruination was one of the tastings as a part of the tour but we also had a couple at the Bistro after the tour.

A - Pours to a small head, and it has a wonderful light orange body with great lacing.

S - Grapefruity hops disseminates from this wonderful ale as it's loaded with hops. Our brewery tour guide told us that a single Ruination has a much hops as eighteen normal beer so you can definitely get your hops fix on this one.

T - The taste is not far from what you get out of the aroma. This is what you would expect from an excellent IPA. Some bitterness but not biting. A lasting after taste that makes you savor each sip.

M - Clean and crisp.

D- A very drinkable ale that I usually reserve for celebrations as it's a bit pricey, at least it is in our area.

hoppyhobby, Mar 24, 2009
2.4/5  rDev -44.2%

The workers at my local beer and wine store rave about Stone beers. I am a huge double IPA lover and go out of my way to try every IPA that my local stores carry. This is my honest opinion of this brew in comparison to all other double IPAs that I have tasted.

Appearance:
After pouring into a glass I was struck at how pale the color was and how effervescent it became. Besides the clarity, the thin head also indicated a light bodied beer. It was quick to foam but also quick to settle leaving almost no webbing on the glass wall at all. As I was drinking, webbing never quite appeared on the glass.

Aroma:
The aroma was correct, prominently hoppy, but lackluster. The bouquet of hops was there and in plenty but wasn't as aromatic and crisp as other high quality double IPAs. This indicates a one dimensional hop selection. Typically, one has to balance their hop selection of aromatic hops to high alpha-acid hops and I don't feel as if Stone did this well.

Taste:
The taste was what I expected form the appearance and I was disappointed. The beer is very nicely hopped but has no body or malty balance what so ever. It instantly had me thinking of what a Rolling Rock might taste like with a magnitude of hops. The quality of hops was not that impressive to me either. They did not taste fresh and crisp but rather dull with a powerful bitterness.

Mouthfeel:
Quite lite and effervescent. I like to think of this brew as the champagne of double IPAs.

Drinkability:
It is light and easy to drink.

Overall:
This beer is not In the league of Bell's Hopslam, Victory's Hop Devil, or Hebrew's RIPA. Ruination just doesn't compare. To me, it tastes like an amateur's attempt at a double IPA who had a small budget and wanted to get the highest IBUs as possible. I feel like Stone's only goal was to create a brew with a high IBU count. They seemed to skimp on the aromatic hop selection and completely avoid a malty support as if to trick the drinker into focusing on the bitterness. This beer lacks the complexity and balance that I like to have in a double IPA.

SpinachEater, Mar 24, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Light orange with a miniscule head that leaves plenty of lacing.

S: Hops, hops, hops. Hops in all their piney, grassy, citrusy glory. And not much else.

T: Same as the smell. All hops, all the time. Imagine sticking pine needles and grapefruits into a blender and drinking what comes out. The malt only really serves as a delivery vehicle for the hops.

M: Much lighter than most DIPAs. Almost like a pilsner.

D: Another winner from Stone. How is it that such an uncompromising hop assault is almost sessionably drinkable? I wouldn't turn down a 90 Minute or a Hopslam for one, but that's no knock against it. If you're jonesing for hops, look no further.

BarrelO, Mar 23, 2009
3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

A - Hazy golden color with a rocky white head & copious lacing.

S - Earthy aroma of citrus and grass. Actually somewhat mild compared to many DIPAs.

T - A slight touch of sweetness up front, but the piney, grapefruit bitterness takes over and doesn't let go. Not much in the way of balance here, but what do you expect with a name like Ruination?

M - Full, thick body that clings to the tongue. Carbonation is mild to medium.

D - If face-numbing bitterness is your thing, I guess you could drink it all night long. For me, I enjoyed a bomber, but that was plenty. This beer is something of a legend & it's worth a try for that if nothing else. But I'd had other DIPAs that I liked a lot more.

gabe23, Mar 22, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

A bottle from my cellar that has a little age on it and is begging to be imbibed.

A-Slightly hazed, Dark golden amber with a medium off-white head that reduced a bit and left copious, sticky lace.

S-Strong dose of sweet caramel malt up front. Not a real surprise as this bottle has aged a bit and the hops have fallen off. With a bit of warming a fairly strong citrus and spicy pine bitterness emerge.

T-Even with the loss of the hop pop this is still a damn tasty brew. Good dose of malt sweetness up front is followed by citrus rind bitterness and spicy pine.

M-Medium body with good smoothness and lingering hop bitterness.

D-Even a bit long in the tooth this brew still deserves respect. While the hops dont pop quite like they do when fresh the balance simply shifts to the malt side. Still plenty of hops....just not as bright as they use to be. I surely will not have any trouble finishing this bomber on my own.

Deuane, Mar 19, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

Amber color, nice cakey head. Very fruity smell that mimics the taste. Strong ester that tastes a bit like berries, completely hidden alcohol, good balance with the malts. The malts don't really stand out much but the bitter hops aren't really overpowering. A nice beer for a meal, alone, or whenever.

cracgor, Mar 18, 2009
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from bottle into a pint glass.

Three fingers of thick, but somewhat foamy head. Head was quite stable and about an inch of it stuck around the whole time I was drinking the beer.

Color is a slightly hazy light-tan to golden.

Nose is grassy, spicy hops with a note of grapefruit.

Flavor is dry. No malt sweetness. Really just enough malt to provide a backbone for the bitter hop finish. Bitterness develops nicely after swallowing.

Mouthfeel is actually quite light.

Good drinkability. This beer has a great flavor, and while there is an assertive hop flavor, it is not overdone by any means. This is truly one of my favorite beers.

Florida9, Mar 18, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Classic double and another good one from Stone. Solid accross the board so far with me.

appearance: golden amber and reddish hues, decent lacing residue

smell: loaded loaded hops, very plesant for a hop fans. Extreme freshness

taste: Very strong hops aroma, this beer is loaded, nice grapefruit taste

mouthfeel: high carbonation and very tasty

drinkability: classic IPA, perfect, but still like HopDevil as my #1

CampusCrew, Mar 17, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +3%

22oz Bottle poured into a big mug.

A.Beer looks slightly hazy, maybe unfiltered. Almost an orange color.

S. Wow that is one hoppy smelling beer: Perfumey, floral smell is the most prominent.

T. Hops come through strong, very floral and a little citrusy. Malts are picked up on after a few sips, initially the wonderful hops dominated my taste buds. And as the bottle says this beer really kills your taste buds, in a good way I think.

M. Medium mouthfeel, lots of oily/resiny feel from the hops. decent carbination.

D. Very drinkable, not balanced as the hops dominate, but not too bitter for my taste buds. A top notch DIPA

JamesP123, Mar 16, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -8.1%

22 oz bomber poured into a pint glass. Review from notes made yesterday.

4.0 A: Light orange color. Two fingers thick creamy head. Excellent retention and good lacing.

4.5 S: Hoppy as all hell, excellent. Orange citrus hoppiness. Some sweetness from malt, but screw the malts.

4.0 T: Damn good hoppiness again. All sorts of citrus, herbal, and grassy hops. Hops done exceedingly well with lots of complexity but the malts don't show up for the party to add depth.

3.5 M: Lacking the creaminess I want in a DIPA. Otherwise very smooth with good carbonation.

3.5 D: Lack of complexity from malts makes this hopbomb less drinkable.

DavoleBomb, Mar 16, 2009
Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.