Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

pDev: 10%
Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
inhoc00

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Ruination in Chicago. Thanks again to eric.

A- pours a light orange with a bit of head and nice retention

S- nice classic hops, pine, grapfruit. nothing overpowering.

T- So good. Hops in your face but nicely done. Really tasty

M- Good crisp carbonation.

D- Wonderful IPA.

11-28-2008 01:11:47 | More by inhoc00
kemoarps

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

Now I will preface this with a disclaimer: I'm not a huge hop fan. Not a big IPA guy. Not a huge fan of the more bitter beers. So this is more a comparison to other IPAs I've had than an absolute scale of my enjoyment.

Poured a cloudy amber, that settled into a pretty, straw gold colour. Nice white head, probably half an inch with decent retention.

The spices that hit you rnose when you hold it up to your face are admittedly enticing. Kind of a sweet and spicy scent to it, reminscent almost of white pepper

The taste follows the aroma, with an obviously high hop profile, I almost expected it to be legit spicy (like jalapeno chip spicy), but it wasn't. Bitter, something almost like the taste of rosebuds in the middle of the body.

Fairly smoothe brew, goes down easy. Drinkable, if it is to your taste. As one who is generally not a fan of IPAs, I probably wouldn't go get another one, but as IPAs go, it's pretty good. My best friend really likes it (she likes hops), and I bet my dad would too.

11-27-2008 04:25:41 | More by kemoarps
PhillyStyle

Georgia

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from a 22oz bottle:

A: The beer appeared a nice deep amber with a very nice white head that was well retained. No lacing.

S: Hops, hops and more hops. There were also some notes of citrus, pine and I also got a little maple.

T: Outstanding. Overwhelming hoppiness with hints of the citrus and I got that very faint hint of maple as the beer warmed and I got near the end. Very interesting.

M/D: This is really an exceptional beer. Smooth, easy to drink, good carbonation, full-body, and creamy. Started with a bitter dry taste and end with a bitter aftertaste. Highly drinkable, the 22oz went down very smooth. This will be a staple for a long time to come.

11-26-2008 17:49:55 | More by PhillyStyle
dfolmste

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Appearance: Pours a 2 inch + bubbly head. Color is a cloudy amber. Retention is awesome and head is not going anywhere.

Smell: Hops, hops and more hops. Bottle does not lie. Smallest hint of malt, but this is a hop driven style and I am happy to finally taste.

Taste: Extremely bitter taste complemented by the smooth and somewhat fruity finish. A Pine/Licorice and spice meets citrus at the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with medium carbonation. Licorice taste is more present the longer I hold it. A little too much pine here. I'm starting to think about soap when I describe the aftertaste. This beer's weakest point, but not enough to hate on this beer.

Drinkability: My favorite style of beer does not disappoint. This beer comes as advertised; full of hops, bitter and 7.7 ABV. I have another half bottle that will not last long. Would buy this any day...money permitting.

11-24-2008 19:05:41 | More by dfolmste
davexisxrabid

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

Bought a 22 oz. bomber and poured most of it into my pint glass. Nice amber coloration, very clear with good carbonation and a thin white head that fizzles down pretty quickly.

The aroma was rather pleasant and smelled of grapefruit, sweet and sour bubblegum and honeysuckle. You can tell the complexity of the malts and hops were in there from the intense sweet and bitter characters fighting it out.

The taste was sort of a creamy grapefruit like flavor with a strong hop element throughout but far more pronounced at the end. Mild alcohol feel throughout. To be honest, I'm not a major hop-head and tend to shy away from brews with very high IBU's, but this offering from Stone was very pleasant and palatable.

This medium bodied ale had a full flavor with the citrus-like hops sticking around on your tounge and the carbonation wasn't overblown, so it feels like what a good IPA should feel like.

This beer is very drinkable and I was surprised, considering I've heard some of my friends say this ale was just to bitter for them. I found this ale smooth and although a bit too high abv to have more than one or two in a night, I'd happily sit back and enjoy sipping this brew for some time to come.

11-24-2008 19:03:44 | More by davexisxrabid
gonzo46and2

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

22oz bomber from the World of Beer in Westchase.

Pours a golden copper with a huge white head that stuck laces all over the glass and took a while to recede. This is a good indication of a well made IPA.

Aroma is full of citrus orange peel, grapefruit, lemon and lime. There was also a big smell of pine resin and malt. There is a lot of character in this beer.

Taste is very well balanced with a solid malt backbone and sweetness to cut the huge amount of hoppy taste.

Finishes strong and bitter.

This is easily one of my top 5 DIPAs.

11-24-2008 05:05:44 | More by gonzo46and2
MrHurmateeowish

Maine

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

12oz bottle from the liquor store in Tyngsborro, Mass. Pours a light amber-yellow body with an impressive inch and a half of off-white head. Smells intensely hoppy, like few beers I've had - citrus and pine most notably, with just a tinge of caramel malt in the background. Smells like smelling a packet of hops when homebrewing. Tastes like orange, grapefruit, pine, pith... Just the slightest hint of caramel malt, just enough to balance the flavor and make the beer obnoxiously bitter. Medium in body with ample effervescent carbonation, both of which help aid the drinkability. One sip most definitely invites another. Perhaps the best DIPAs I have ever had. An absolute must for any hop-head.

11-22-2008 01:17:16 | More by MrHurmateeowish
stephens101

Oklahoma

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

A hazy golden orange pour supports three fingers of light tan head. Retention is excellent, with a prolific amount of spotted lacing left behind. Aroma consists of striking citrusy hops up front with a bit of astringency in the background. Notes of earth and pine float around. on the palate the hops are wrapped in a blanket of citrus and malt. They don't stand out as much as some DIPA's, but the balancing act here is pulled off perfectly, which results in a drinkable, yet very tasty example of the style. Mouth-feel is medium bodied. This one goes down pretty smooth, with an essence of orange peel as an aftertaste. This is a highly rated, and most talked about brew which, in my humble opinion does not quite live up to all the hype, but is for sure a good damn beer.

11-21-2008 20:33:28 | More by stephens101
dojobrewco

Alabama

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

My "go to" beer store normally doesn't have any of Stone Brewing Companies products but I saw a few cases of this stuff sitting on a cart and I took it upon my self to do a little downstocking. Anyway as i poured the brew in my pint glass I got the full floral aroma before I even put my nose to the edge of the glass. It's almost like a pine tree just fell on top of me. The appearance was nice as well glowing a nice amber/orangey hue thru the glass. If you like hops this is the beer for you. Not over done in anyway but like another review said the 100 IBU's is slightly questionable. I was expecting my tongue to just fall off from the bitterness but that wasn't the case. ruination IPA is a very drinkable beer and i will definately be partaking in some more very soon.

11-21-2008 12:42:12 | More by dojobrewco
Shumista

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

12 oz bottle into a Chimay goblet.

A- Ruination pours a thick, hazy, golden orange with a small amount of head. Lots of lacing sticks to the glass.
S- Huge aroma, you don't even have to get your nose very close to it to smell it. Lots of citrusy hops and a noticeable sweet malt presence.
T- Very nice flavor, not as overpowering as some DIPA's. Bitter citrusy hops, and a very strong malt presence. The hoppiness is noticeably a fruity hop taste. There is a lingering bitter aftertaste.
M- Full-bodied ,thick, creamy, highly carbonated.
D- Very, very high for a Double IPA, I could see myself going through 3 or 4.

I feel like that Stone, who I normally associate with over the top, in your face beers, shows some restraint with this one. Nothing in the taste is overpowering, and 7.7 percent alcohol is fairly low for a Double IPA. This is an excellent beer that I will definitely be buying again and again.

11-20-2008 07:24:37 | More by Shumista
daledeee

Iowa

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

Picked this one up in Wisconsin the other day.

Poured from the 22 oz bottle and found a nice dark reddish brown with a nice head. The aroma was floral with some hops.

This one is mostly a beautiful perfectly balanced blend of hops and malt. Not as hoppy as others but a nice change of pace. Very easy to drink with a warming finish and oily mouthfeel.

Topshelf stuff. Welcome to my refrigerator.

11-20-2008 01:32:00 | More by daledeee
HomebrewPgh

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

Awesome IIPA. Aroma was all hops. Strong citrus and pine. Pour wsa a nice deep orange with plenty of bubbles and a one finger off white head. Taste is strong and hoppy. Citrus and grapefruit with nice carbonation and just a hint of malt in the aftertaste. The carbonation makes this an extremely drinkable IIPA. It's not as thick and syrupy as most.

11-14-2008 15:39:41 | More by HomebrewPgh
jkendrick

Colorado

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Appearance: Golden color with some orange tints. Cloudy as one would expect. The head is nice with larger bubbles than I was expecting; not quite as creamy looking as I was expecting. The retention is fair to good, but there is decent lacing.

Aroma: Not as overpowering as many DIPAs, but is very nice. Some pine hints but mostly citrus. Very sweet smelling!

Mouthfeel: Very nice and creamy with even and "small" carbonation. The hops oils linger on the tongue while the carbonation push the bitterness across the taste buds.

Taste: There is an immediate malt presence that is very bready, but that is quickly overwhelmed by the "100+ BTUs." The hops, of course, is the defining flavor. Here its character is difficult to discern however. There is a little bit of pine, a little bit floral and a little bit citrus. The finish is very dry and the alcohol is very present. I would say you get a distinct series of flavors: malt to hops to alcohol. There is, however, an ever-present bitterness. It is just tad more bitter than I would like.

Overall impression: This is a very good DIPA. I would rank it behind some of my favorites though (my current favorite being Russian River's Pliny the Elder). I am a hophead and this brew has more malt and alcohol flavors than is optimal for me in a DIPA. And, as strange as it may sound, I like my hops a little less bitter. That said, I will definitely be drinking this on a regular basis, though a little goes a long way. As the bottle says there is an "immediate ruinous effect on your palate." You won't be tasting much for a while after this beer.

11-12-2008 01:45:53 | More by jkendrick
mnj21655

4.43/5  rDev +3%

12 oz. bottle.

Pours a golden orange in color with a bit over a finger of fluffy white head that has pretty good retention. Great aroma, hops seem to jump out of the glass. Citrus aromas dominate. Citrus might actually be a bit vague, its mostly oranges. Floral, pine and resin notes are also present. Taste is like the aroma but, in a way, its a bit more balanced. The citrus hops that dominated the aroma play a more complimentary role in the flavor but still dominate. Piney and resiny hops are more prominent here and really come to the fore towards the finish when the bitterness really hits. This beer is indeed solidly and strongly bitter but it doesn't seem like the 100+ IBUs the bottle claims. Mouthfeel is quite good, medium-light body with moderate+ carbonation. Drinkability is pretty darn good, this brew is very flavorful and enjoyable and a darn good representation of the style. I recommend buying this beer in bombers or sixers because a single 12 oz. bottle really isn't enough.

11-11-2008 02:26:08 | More by mnj21655
GoodOldDuke

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%

As many of the BA population have come to expect this beer has just all the makings of a great brew. With a perfect white half inch head, that leaves a trail of gorgeous lace when it descends slowly into a slightly amber haze with caramel colored ribbons as the beer matures in the glass (a stein in my case). The smell of fruit and hops makes your mouth want for the bitter perfection that is this beer. So you drink, the taste is refreshing and full of variety, then the bite hits and you enter pure hop heaven. Glorious.

This beer is truly one of my favorites if you could not tell. I picked up my latest bottle at Consumre Beverage on Como Park in Lancaster, NY. They have an increasingly amazing selection, and their cooler is supremely cold. As always, this beer is best drank out of a heavy glass to let it breathe and to allow for a more wide and even entry into your mouth for feel.

11-10-2008 21:18:23 | More by GoodOldDuke
wescj

Tennessee

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter.

Pours thin and lightly cloudy, honey amber in color. Starts out with a decent half inch of head, which reduces to nothing but little whisps a bit too quickly. Lace is alright.

Aroma is excellent. Smells citrusy, specifically lemon. Nice hops, piney. A touch of alcohol.

Hops are first on the tounge, as expected. Palate isn't as ruined as I thought it would be, but in a very good way- tastes smooth, woody, but suprisingly malty. Very well rounded.

Mouthfeel is good and dry. Medium bodied, not over-carbonated.

Drinkable, despite the super-hops. Very good beer all around.

11-10-2008 02:06:05 | More by wescj
JohnWaynes44

Wisconsin

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle, a hazy copper with a beautiful frothy white head that sticks to the glass nicely. Retention was just average.

Wow, the nose is wonderful, floral and pine hop burst. Malt aroma comes through subtly at first and more noticeably after a few sips which leads me to the taste...

Very hoppy with the first drink. Bold, sharp and complex up front, lingering sharp pine taste. Malts come through at the end and stay there until the next drink. After several sips, the malts really become noticeable, very nice balance of bold hops and toasty malts. Alcohol is there but not overpowering, slightly warming though.

The mouth is rich with a pretty full body. Carbonation is just enough to help smooth out the bitterness of the hops.

I think this is very drinkable. Wish I hand a whole sleeve of it instead of just one. Overall, I love this brew. Hop lovers will really enjoy it obviously, but it has enough malts and balance and alcohol to appeal to many palates. Very well made.

11-08-2008 21:28:51 | More by JohnWaynes44
Buebie

4.43/5  rDev +3%

Bottle courtasy of a friend on a road trip.

Poured from a 22 ounce bomber with no bottling date. Cellard for 3 months at 50 degrees.
2 finger foamy white head. Long lingering retention, with spotty drapes of lace. Color is a pale cloudy golden yellow. No transparency. The beer seems to glow even when not held to light.

Smell is rich, elegant buttery hoppy lingering aroma. Pinnaple, pine, pulling alcahol fumes with a rigerous swirl, fresh off the tree apples. I just want to keep sniffing this, I dont need to drink it.

Starts out sweet with earthy hop grassy flavor.
Creamy laid back carbonation, very smooth and buttery with a mild oily texture.
Through the middle alcahol bites and warms my pallett. Becoming increasingly bitter with a burst of pine and grapefruit hops. Finishing quite dry with a lingering hop flavor. A bit of minerally chalkieness, not in a bad way.

A great well balanced brew, each sensation, flavor and scent complimenting the other.
Well done!

11-06-2008 02:35:05 | More by Buebie
midaszero

4.13/5  rDev -4%

A - Clear golden body with one finger of tan head that produces some okay lacing and doesn't go down to quickly

S - Very noticeable hop presence but a good fruit background to go with it that carries a little bit of sweetness

T - Huge hop flavor up front, hop bitterness in the middle followed by a mellowed out fruity hop mixture in the back. Not a lot of malts to pick up on but there existence is noted. The flavor could be a little more balanced and the alcohol presence comes on strong for a 7.7% ABV.

M - Medium body with medium carbonation a little sharp

D - Good to switch things up and overall enjoyable but not a main stay. If they could balance out the taste and hide the alcohol a little more this would be one of my favorite DIPAs.

11-06-2008 01:09:00 | More by midaszero
caddybuyer

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

A- Medium lightly veiled light copper amber with a beautiful head and gorgeous lacing...(really, the head and lacing just kills me on this...it is the best)

S- Floral hops sweetness...a very slick sweet and enticing smell with a hint of alcohol and malt, of course....can a beer smell sexy? This is as close as it gets.

T- Incredible....floral, pastoral, creamy and well balance between hop and malt, woody, yet a tad of citrus...A whiff of perfume....can a beer taste sexy?...

M- well balanced as the taste and smell....the guys at Stone work magic on this....

D- What else can I say. I'm in love. I love IPA's, and this one throws all the others aside.
Far more balanced than some other reviews may suggest...this is not a bitter beer...but clearly has an emphasis on the hops...hands down....This is not an extreme beer....This perhaps the best balanced DIPA known to man.

Save for a late session treat when the tastebuds can't take more....absolutely...but try it...you will like it.

11-02-2008 01:37:59 | More by caddybuyer
lynx1245

4.13/5  rDev -4%

Appearance: Poured a dark amber with a nice 2 finger white pillowing head that receded fairly quickly leaving a thin layer of "stratus cloud" head. A very pretty amber; looks like honey.

Smell: Very sweet and heavy floral scent. The hops provide a very intense earthy aroma along with some citrus. Someone should bottle this and sell it as a perfume. "Hey baby, you smell good enough to drink."

Taste: "A liquid poem to the glory of the hop!" I'll admit it here first: I'm not the biggest hop head around. That being said, I love hops, but I usually don't reach for the hoppiest beers at the market. The hops bring a big punch in the bitterness department, but it is surprisingly balanced and not overwhelming like some other hop heavy beers I've had. It has a fresh lemony aftertaste as well.

Mouthfeel: Not a very heavy body. The bitterness is so well balanced that it isn't hard to go in for another sip.

Drinkability: This isn't a beer you will drink all night. That's pretty much to be expected though. One 22oz bottle sounds like it could do the trick. I still haven't finished it and I'm already feeling the 7.7%ABV.

Bottom line: If you love hops you will love this beer. If you don't, then why are you reading this review? It's an IPA. Still, excellent balance that I think anyone could enjoy.

11-01-2008 03:58:20 | More by lynx1245
MerkinMan

Georgia

3.98/5  rDev -7.4%

A: Orange gold hue with head that looks like the surface of the moon. A little hop haze going on, which has me kind of excited.

S: Could smell it as soon as I popped the bottle. Citrusy hop aroma along with a hint of malty sweetness.

T: To cram this many hops in there and to have the beer still taste good is quite impressive. None of the soapy hop tastes I have experienced with some beers. The bittering hops and the flavor / aroma hops are separated well and show up after one another.

MF: Good body on this one. Lays down a nice blanket for the hops to dance on.

D: A good beer, but it would be tough to drink a lot of them. Certainly a good specimen for major hop loads. Better than others in the category.

10-31-2008 21:32:27 | More by MerkinMan
tadowdaddy

4.7/5  rDev +9.3%

A - Clear amber color with 2 fingers of head and consistent lacing throughout the glass.

S - Very floral smelling, very earthy smelling.

T - Bitter, DELICIOUS! Bitter piney taste followed by a nice malty/hoppy aftertaste.

M - Medium body, leaves an aftertaste that just tempts you to drink more.

D - I would drink this beer whenever I had the chance. Just passed 60 minute IPA on my top 5.

10-28-2008 02:38:08 | More by tadowdaddy
Larrytown

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

The color is golden-orange with lots of lacing from top to bottom. Some sweetness in the nose with floral hops.

The hops are the first thing we notice in the taste, but once past the initial burst, the other flavors start coming through. More of a solid base than I first thought, no doubt.

Obviously we're dealing with a hoppy beer here, but for a DIPA, this is pretty well balanced. I don't see myself drinking a ton of them, but if I'm on a one-bottle night, this does the trick nicely.

10-27-2008 22:58:01 | More by Larrytown
SickBrew

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Another great beer Stone Brewing.

Purchased this beer from By the Bottle, in Vancouver WA. Poured from a bomber into a pint class and marveled at the way the head formed. Almost reminded me of a certain nitrous beer. Head left loads of bountiful lacing on top of a great copper orange full bodied IPA! Aromas exploded into my nasal cavities with piny, flowery, citrus and just plain outstanding aromas. Taste definitely follow nose with a luscious, piny, dry, bitter, sweet, malty , caramel, acidic and altogether complex pallet sensation gong on. I would say complex is the operative word. Mouthfeel is medium with great carbonation. This beer is freak'n awesome!

10-24-2008 01:26:00 | More by SickBrew
Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.