Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

pDev: 10%
Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
Tolann

Colorado

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

High expectations for this beer, and I'd have to say it's pretty good. Maybe not quite up to all the hype, but still very enjoyable. I'd order it again. This review was enjoyed in a typical pint glass.

A - golden reddish. a lil cloudy. few bubbles. Nice head that hangs around. some lacing
S - floral hops, slightly sweet.
T - orange citrus, hoppy and sweet. not too harsh
M - well-rounded, and smooth. bitter on the back of your tongue. Medium body; not too heavy, but not lively either.
D - quite nice. For some reason its giving me a wheat beer feel. It must be the orange I'm picking up. The hops are real nice.

10-20-2007 14:49:30 | More by Tolann
BeerSox

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

12oz bottle into nonic.

One doesn't need to be beer savvy to know that this one is going to be an aggressiver beer. Just looking at the label gives enough clues to figure it out. The gargoyle from your nightmares made it onto the bottle of your beer, and now you're going to drink it.

The beer itself is honey-amber in color with a light haze. A one finger khaki head slowly settles to a thin rim, leaving a solid coating along the glass. The lacing sticks pretty well to the glass. It's a characteristic of hoppy beers, they just create great lacing.

The aroma explodes with cascade hop aroma that mimics concentrated grapefruit juice. There is a bit of spice in there as well giving it a little zip. Not much of the malt makes it through, and the alcohol aromas don't fare too either.

This is the first IPA this strong I have had in a long time, and the bitterness took me by surprise. Very sharp hop flavor (again, grapefruit) pretty much summarizes the beginning. As the hops fade some of the malt slowly emerges, giving a very sweet grain flavor. Mixed in there is a little bit of citrusy zest. Lots of body (full bodied) with the right amount of carbonation, keeping it from being flat without the fizz. The grain fades quicker than the hops, which linger for a while after each sip.

I would say this one lived up to the hype. It's not for everybody, considering how bitter it is, but if that's what you're looking for, this is a great one to try. It's bitter but still allows for complexity. Careful with the amount of alcohol though, it can sneak up on you. Recommended.

10-20-2007 03:57:32 | More by BeerSox
arizcards

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

Review 10-20-07
Picked up a bomber from Sprouts back in May. It has been awhile since i sipped on one and reviewed this.

A - Beer poured an amber orange with a nice tall white head that is sustaining nicely. 4.5
S - The nose is quite pleasant, nothing but floral hops. 4.5
T - Taste is quite the same, a hop bomb thru and thru, citrus notes and pine resin overwhelming the palate. 4.5
M - Mouthfeel is medium to heavy bodied, well carbonated, and it glides nicely across the palate. 4.5.
O - Drinkability is perfect. The abv is not overwhelming like some of the malt bombs that are out there. It is a near perfect example of the double ipa style. 5.0.

Re-Review 1-22-12. Purchased 11-23-11 from Total Wine for $3.49. Best by 12.28.11. Been in the beer fridge since the purchase.
A - Beer poured orange with a nice white head that dissapated quickly. 4.0.
S - Nose is a truckload of citrus hops. 4.0
T - Hops are definitely forward, citrus and pine dominate. Malt is definitely there but the hops win in the end. 4.5.
M - This is a full bodied brew, very chewy and satisfying with each sip. 4.5.
O - Overall this is a fantastic brew, one to seek out if you are a hophead!

10-20-2007 01:04:14 | More by arizcards
hustlesworth

4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

A- 1 1/2in creamy soapy yellowish head over a nice opaque orange apricot honey colored brew, sheets of drippy lace

S- creamy cake batter and sweet tropical fruit, just like stone IPA, starfruit, guava, banana, mango, yeast, creamy caramel, chocolate covered marshmallow, toffee, whole cream

T- bitter up front, where the regular IPA was bitter-creamy-sweet, this is just an all out bitter onslaught right from the start. coarse leafy herbal hops take over the field but after a while let out some subtle creamy citrus flavors, pineapple, cashews, grains, wood, pine sap, meat, toasted malt, with a resinous finish.

MF- coarse and violent, in a good way. not soft and luxuriant like her little sister, this bitch says "like it or die". and she's right. puckering and mealy, a little powdery, with a subdued creaminess.

D- intense. full of character. hoppy. awesome. but due to its intensity, this will remain a special treat.

10-19-2007 17:05:32 | More by hustlesworth
mnstorm99

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

22oz. bomber thanks to younger35
Apperance is a nice golden orange color with a nice head that lacks a little bit of lacing for the style.
Aroma is of orange citrus from the hops with a nice malty backbone.
Taste is much of the same except now along with the nice orange flavors the hops (magnum) give it a nice spicy tinge to it.
I could definatly have a few of these, if Stone ever came to Minny, this one could be a mainstay in the fridge. This (as far as I know) is the first beer I have tried with Magnum hops and it took a few sips to warm up, but when those flavors came through, wow they were good.

10-19-2007 12:03:18 | More by mnstorm99
buffettfan

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

Poued from 22oz bottle into a glass. First apperance is great! A dark golden amber, with a thick off white head, that seemed to last for ever. Aroma was a spicey hop, slight citrus. Taste was amazing. Lots of hops! I loved it. I had wished I bought me! A very easy drinking IPA. Finished very smooth. THis is amoung my new favorites!

10-18-2007 13:11:03 | More by buffettfan
walshclimb

Nevada

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

Pours slightly cloudy pale golden with 1/2" white head that leaves decent lace. Aroma of pine and citrus hops and bready malt. The smell is surprisingly earthy to musty with a hint of soap. The taste is moderately bitter with good hop balance and a medium to long-lived bitter aftertaste. THe mouthfeel is medium bodied with a creamy texture, moderate carbonation and a slightly astringent finish. I was a little surprised by this one. I had high expectations, considering I loved their 10-year, and I really like their IPA. The smell is a little too earthy. The taste is good, and I might buy it again, but it is definitely not my favorite double IPA.

10-16-2007 16:35:17 | More by walshclimb
Homerbag

Wisconsin

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured into an ovesize wine glass, golden with finger thick head.
Smells of an IPA, nice floaral, grapefruitlike hops fill the nose.
Solid drinking DIPA. It does not have the hop attack that a Midwestern DIPA has, but it hits the back of the tounge with a pleasant grapefruity citruis hop character that is about as good as I've had.
Feels good on the palate, everything is proper and it compliments my Asian food that I had on the second filling of the glass.
A very good brew.

10-12-2007 23:23:36 | More by Homerbag
RunawayJim

Rhode Island

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a snifter. Beer pours a nice slightly cloudy amber color with about a 2 finger head. Smells of piney, citrusy hops, but it's not overwhelming. Some slight malt scents noticed as well.

Flavor is fantastic. This is a nice smooth very drinkable Double IPA. The taste is mostly of those piney citrus hops, but it's well balanced with the malt sweetness, caramel malts perhaps? The beer is moderately carbonated and doesn't feel heavy like some bigger beers do.

All in all, this is an absolutely wonderful double IPA. It is perhaps the most drinkable double IPA I have had and is now on my favorites list.

10-12-2007 03:01:38 | More by RunawayJim
bunnyhustle

3.9/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured from bomber into pint glass. Probably could have done with a better glass but that was all that was available. Vibrant golden color, clear, with "average" head and good retention. Very impressive lace left behind as the glass goes down. Smell is a bit week in my opinoin. Of course it is of hops but I think that theres almost too much going on here and it really distracts from anything particular. Taste is good. Not as bitter as I expected but strong hops tastes, some malt but mainly the hops. Somewhat bitter aftertaste with a touch of grapefruit, leaves a dry feeling. Good carbonation leaves it light and crisp and pretty drinkable beer. Has a nice kick too it, although while drinking I really didnt notice the alcohol after the bomber you're left with that warm feeling.

10-11-2007 03:59:44 | More by bunnyhustle
pwoods

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

22oz. Bomber from Party Source poured into a snifter. No dating.

A: Pours a nice hazy apricot that I love so much. 1 1/2 finger froathy head hangs out in the snifter for a bit before dieing down. Only slight patchy lacing.

S: Right when you pop the cap you know you're in for a treat. Big piney hops. Just a little bit of citrus alongside a touch of malt sweetness. Malts only adding sweetness. After a couple sips and further warming, I get some Phenols in the background reminding me to sip.

T/M: Pow, right in the kissuh(lol). I wanted hops and I got 'em. Very bitter with twang of grapefruit. Malts slide in to balance things perfectly. Nice subtle sweetness. Body is closer to a single IPA which I think is perfect for this beer. First sip lets you know this'll be dry and it doesn't come up short.

D: I could drink this brew day and night. Would /really/ like to try it on tap.

10-09-2007 01:47:38 | More by pwoods
rxdrewthejew

4.13/5  rDev -4%

Love stone, found this at Beverages and More and had to give it a try. My first DIPA too. Ah the memories.

A: A moderate amber, nice color, somewhat hazy. Very thin white head.

S: Nothing stood out to me. But my nose doesn't work.

T: Quite bitter with extremely grapefruit hops. The flavor is excellent, well balanced with the malt. Lots of citrus hops.

MF: Masks the alcohol quite well. Very light and crisp, and a nice grapefruit aftertaste.

O: I do love Stone. The caption on the bottle cracks me up. This beer is well put together, but still makes a bit of a statement. Very drinkable, I highly recommend it.

10-07-2007 06:49:21 | More by rxdrewthejew
Brad007

Vermont

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

Pours a nice pale color with a thick, frothy head (much better pour too!). Aroma is grassy and floral upfront with grapefruit in the nose. I can tell this will be one hell of a hoppy beer! Taste is malty at first and then very citrusy and floral in the middle, towards the back of the throat.This beer feels pretty well-balanced when compared to a few other Imperial IPAs I have had.

There's just enough hoppiness but not enough to overwhelm the palate. The grapefruit/citrus flavor is what I look for in an IIPA and this is no exception. Lots of lacing left behind in the glass.

10-07-2007 00:32:03 | More by Brad007
cswhitehorse

Oregon

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

The ruination ipa pours a cloudy orange hued goodness. Cool bottle with a few paragraphs spouting their pride but no freshness date. The smell is very hoppy and aromatic. The taste is strongly bittered which was good. A tad on the alocholic flavor and it was toasty and creamy. In the mouth it danced happy and left a sweet date like flavor. One of the best I have tried in this style.

10-06-2007 02:50:44 | More by cswhitehorse
ALESwhatCURESya

Wisconsin

22oz bomber bought in Cambridge, MA

A-light golden body with thin, but sticky head. Much lighter than I imagined, but very nice. Tons of carbonation activity.

S-I equate this aroma to sticking my face in a bag of fresh hop pellets. Very piney and resinous. Awesome aroma, but a little different than I have had before. Not picking up a ton of citrus.

T&M-Very crisp and dry from start to finish. Hops are strong throughout and give off a sticky, harsh (but nice harsh) flavor that is complimented wonderfully against the malt bill. Nice biscuit maltiness.

D-I have had some wonderful IIPAs in the past. This is good, but not great in my opinion. It is aggressive, and loaded with flavor. For a hophead, this is definitely one to seek out, but I dont see a whole lot of distinguishing from many other great IIPAs.

10-05-2007 02:13:39 | More by ALESwhatCURESya
sessycuban

4.7/5  rDev +9.3%

I've been drinking Ruination for several years now, but I haven't bothered to review it. Now is as good a time as ever.

A – The beer pours a rich orange. The beer is highly carbonated, but not so much so that you get excessive head. The lacing is wonderful and the beer retains well. This one is an absolute joy to look at even if you have no intention of drinking it.

S – The beer has an intense citric note. This is the foremost aroma. I’m also getting pine and floral notes. Again, fun to smell even if you have no intention of drinking the beer.

T – Hops. I’ve had my fair share of DIPAs and they all claim to be the hoppiest beer but I’ve yet to find a beer as hoppy as Ruination. Although a hopbomb, it is still easy to identify the malt in the brew. In one word, fantastic.

M – The beer is medium bodied. The high level of carbonation is a plus, as I find many DIPAs to taste a bit flat. This is perfect.

D – This is by far the most aggressive beer I’ve ever had and likely will ever have. This is both good and bad. In some ways, the beer is extremely drinkable. If you’re going to enjoy a DIPA, why not start here? On the other hand, as I said, this is a very aggressive beer, making other Stone offerings look tame in comparison. This, coming from a brewery that has never been reticent to challenge their consumers.

For those who haven’t experienced, it is well time you should.

10-04-2007 20:31:01 | More by sessycuban
Throwrug

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

After reading the bottle, I expected to be knocked out of my chair with bittnerness -- this was not quite the case, but it does have a nice bitter aftertaste.

It pours a hazy orange color with a small, quickly disappearing head. Smells intensely hoppy, and leaves a nice tingle on the tongue. I could definitely see a couple of these bottles going down. Very well done!

10-03-2007 04:26:42 | More by Throwrug
mrasskicktastic

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

A - A clear copper to amber brew with a huge, unyielding head. Minutes later, it still maintains it's presence. Lacing is scattered in large clumps.

S - Not too surprisingly, it smells like hops. A potent hop aroma of roses and pine makes it's present known with a bit of honey and biscuits underneath.

T - Everything I have ever heard about this beer relates to its alledged delightfully caustic bitterness. Seriously, I have been expecing a brew that would put devil dancer to shame and make me redefine bitterness based on the arrival of the first beer which truly goes to eleven. The reality does not compare to the hype. Maybe, I was misinformed? Of course, it is bitter, but I don't think its bitterness really stands out among other DIPAs. I suppose if there is anything to make you think it was more bitter, it would be the mild foretaste - which is a mild floral flavor with a very lightly sweet malt. I can taste a hint of vanilla too. The resiny bitterness itself is accompanied by a malty flavor with a faint hint of that vanilla still lingering. I am sorry, this is not the delightful bitter juice rumor had promised me - it is just a delicious well rounded IPA.

M - Thin, smooth, refreshing.

D - A nice brew that I will likely have again. I was really looking forward to a bitter beast tonight, I was let down on that end, but I found something nice nonetheless.

10-03-2007 02:58:38 | More by mrasskicktastic
funkengruven

Ontario (Canada)

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%

This poured into my pint glass a slightly cloudy orange with a finger thick head. Smell is pure hop heaven. It tastes, (this is where it gets interesting) like a hop bomb at the start, but has a tasty malty finish. Mouthfeel is a bit thick, but finishes pretty clean. Definitely not a session brew, but sure is good for relaxing on a nice night like tonight. Honestly I was expecting hop juice here but instead got an extremely well balanced and tasty DIPA.
Cheers for this great brew.

10-03-2007 02:03:39 | More by funkengruven
blewisg

4.93/5  rDev +14.7%

I love this beer. The only downside is having to pay rockstar prices to get it into my belly. Very strong hop aroma. Strong hop finish. Excellent color. And just and exceptional mouthfeel. I love to drink this stuff. I wish I could get an IV...keg to brain.

10-01-2007 23:21:50 | More by blewisg
PhxHorn

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. A moderate head, leaving some thin lacing on the glass. The color seems to hint of something special to me--dark yellow with almost a pinkish glow. The smell is hoppy and citrusy.

I'm coming back and editing this one a couple years later, after experiencing a few dozen other IPAs. The taste on this one isn't quite as earth shatteringly good as I remember. The citrus flavor is moderate, but not strong, and the aspirin bitterness on the finish is a bit much. I know, it's all about the bitterness on the label, but this is a bit out of balance for me. A good IPA, but not the best I've had. I like a little more citrus and a little less mouth pucker.

09-30-2007 05:53:07 | More by PhxHorn
Trueant1

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a medium brown, cloudy 1/2 inch head. Quicky dicipating to 1/8 inch with a light lace left on the glass.
Smell of pinapple malts, spices, and pine hops.
Thick taste , muddy thick. Dry bitter hop taste. Tropical fruits with white pepper within.
Chewy mouthfeel with lingering hop bitterness that was quite explosive.
Another great beer I get to rate! Bravo again Stone!

09-28-2007 01:49:00 | More by Trueant1
sfoley333

Brazil

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

I haved this beer so many times in my life, this time I pour from a 12oz bottle. Color golden orange just like always, and nice sticky white head. Smell fresh caralized candy pine smell with alcohol and spice. Taste flower resiny hop pine with nice citrus and hint of medicnal tonic. Mouth feel heavy handed hop bitterness gives this mouhtfeel a long chewy texture but more refined than rough. This beer is fun to drink but dangerous after 4 bottles your feeling pretty buzzed.

09-27-2007 08:37:35 | More by sfoley333
errantnight

4.6/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a rich golden hue with a three fingers of rich, creamy head. Decent lacing. Just gorgeous.

The aroma is really where this beer shines, at least when it's fresh. Fresh tropical fruit, pollinating flowers, tangerine and orange... phenomenal.

Taste is malty sweet with a remarkably clean finish. Hop flavors abound, the fruits at the forefront.

Creamy and smooth... just makes you want to reach for it.

I've been drinking this beer for years... and early on it was too bitter, and then for a while it seemed too sweet... and now it seems great. Happily available in 12oz. bottles, it's a regular in my fridge. Not quite as strong and over-the-top as something like Hopsickle, but it's almost unfair to compare it. Although it is rightfully categorized as a double, it bares more similarities to some of the big West Coast IPAs (think Alesmith IPA)... similar to the superb Stone IPA with even more hop presence and enough sweetness to achieve the perfect balance.

For a beer that for a couple years would have come up short for me in comparison to some of the other Stone brews, this is now one of my favorites... coincidence that that happened after I moved to the West Coast and am perhaps imbibing a fresher product? Mmmmm... I'm thinking no....

09-27-2007 06:30:12 | More by errantnight
SurlyDuff

Oregon

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

Ahh, Ruination. Before moving out west, I could count on getting a 22oz bottle once in a great while. But alas, Oregon has provided me this delicious elixir at the convenience of my local tavern.

Before reviewing, Ruination is in my top 5 IPA's, and as such, well, it may get somewhat of a biased treatment. Trying to remain as objective as possible, so here it goes...

Pours a illuminating orange copper with good head rentention and sticky (permanant!) lacing.
Aroma is of, well, hops! Lots of em. Deep pine and floral citrus. Perfume and a bit of an alcohol kick.

THe hops assail and don't stop. The bitterness comes in after a moment, but isnt in the initial second. At the same time, floral and earthy tones drop in attempting to control the hops, and isntead just compliment and add to the party. Finish is still sharp, but as it fades away, the mouth waters asking for more. Tuely a good IPA.

An end note: this one will dominate your palatte. Your food won't taste the same...Forget about trying to taste any other beers after this one!

09-27-2007 00:48:47 | More by SurlyDuff
Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.