Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 10,385 | Reviews: 3,075
4.29/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip

A: Gold with a dense, foamy head. It’s a lot more plentiful than one might expect.

S: The aroma is a concerto of oranges, grapefruit, grass, and deliciousness.

T/M: Tastes like it incorporates the citra hop, but their website claims the use of Columbus and Centennial. The hops are central in the flavor and actually subdue the obligatory citrus flavors. It’s a lot more hoppy than OAKED Arrogant Bastard Ale and has a citrus zest finish.

It’s a really great IPA with a sweet citrus twinge. Stone, you can ruin my palette any time.

Served in a stemmed flute style goblet . Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically.

Appearance: As served the beer is a clear golden tinged orange with a ¼” white head that persists for quite a while and creates good patterns of lacing. Sipping leaves lacing sticking to the sides of the glass for most of the beer but it isn’t as thick and patterned as some I’ve seen.

Smell: The aroma is filled with pine resin and grapefruit zest, but there seems to be little or no malt character to pick up.

Taste: The flavors are pretty much grapefruit zest and pine resin with little or no malt showing. But the malt does make its presence known in the control it exerts over the bitterness. This beer does not have the tongue rasping character of some West Coast beers.

Mouthfeel: The mouth feel is smooth and medium-bodied with good carbonation. The finish is long and dry and filled with resinous bitterness.

Drinkability and Overall Impression: While I enjoy sipping through this beer and expect to have another someday, its not something I’d put on my shopping list for regular consumption. My overall impression is that this is a very good example of the West Coast style (mostly all about the hops with the malt playing a very secondary role) its not a beer at the top of my list.

Probably one of the best Imperial IPA's I have ever had.

The appearance was great a nice 2 finger head and beautiful light amber color.

The smell is of hops is deep with a citrus note and slight malt note.

The taste is sweet malt on the tip of the tongue and hops the rest of the way.

Mouthfeel is medium body with a nice level of carbination.

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured from a bomber into a brandy snifter.

Appears a golden color with hints of orange and a creamy head that slowly subsides. Lately I've been appreciating super hoppy beers that are on the lighter side of the color spectrum yet still packing a punch.

Smells strongly of hops - possibly Cascade - with a lot of tart citrus, specifically grapefruit.

Taste has plenty of hops but I'm getting a strong taste of the bittering hops than what the nose imparts. Less fruity in the mouth. Not much malt flavor picked up.

Mouthfeel is a bit creamy up front and then straight into "Bittertown USA." A thinning of the tongue and a mildly dusty finish.

Overall an enjoyable beer and I'd definitely have it again but would rather have a double IPA that balances out with a bit more fruit.

4.17/5  rDev -3%

Golden-yellow straw with a plush egg shell head. Constant flow of micro-carb bubbles. Syicky pine, earthy grass and citrus, mostly grapefruit. Both aromatic and tasting hops must have been used. Full on hopped IPA. Not a trace of malts to be found. The sticky hops linger in the cheeks and on the tongue. Another flavorful IPA from Stone. They know their way around good beer.

4.24/5  rDev -1.4%

Served cooled and poured into an oversized wine glass.

Appearance: Pours a lighter color than most DIPA's (their regular IPA also seems lighter than most from my memory). I'll take this as a positive indication that malt flavor will play second fiddle to the hops. Head has remarkable staying power, lacing is equally impressive.

Smell: An intoxicating citrusy sweetness bursts forth when I open the bottle. Floral notes abound, west coast hoppiness all the way here. I could smell this all day long.

Taste: Pronounced hop bitterness, pretty damn close to pure hop nectar. A little malt on the aftertaste is a nice touch, working to curb the hop bite. As far as DIPA's go, Ruination puts those hops significantly more in your face than the malt - just how I like it.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation, no complaints there. Creamy mouthfeel is good but could be better.

Overall: Another great beer from Stone. I've had better DIPAs but Ruination definitely ranks up there with the best. Expensive at $18 per 6-pack but a nice treat.

4.64/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Just finished a litre at Closed 4 Business

A - Light golden color with a solid 2 in head, fair retention

S - Super piney and bitter, minimal halt

T - Super piney and bitter as the smell suggested, I'm sure its 120 ibu's or more, really refreshig and tasty

M - Meduim light bodied and medium carbonation, great for the style

O - So tasy, if you can handle bitterness you'll love this. very refreshing, I feel a buzz coming on

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

My pallet is ruined...

(Read the back of the bottle if you have no idea what I'm talking about).

Definitely no shortage of hops (IBU 100++). This is a must try if you like that sort of thing.

This beer STONES (ROCKS)!!-- sorry bad pun... little drunk.

3.99/5  rDev -7.2%

A: nice rich foamy head, transparent golden yellow, fizzy and clean

S: piny and grassy, slightly underwhelming

T: very satisfying, flowery freshness, pine and citrus, malt back but balanced, little alcohol taste

M: Low carbonation, smooth, nice malt coating on the tongue with dry finish

O: very nice balanced beer, expected more bitterness, very drinkable, definitely seek out again soon

4.37/5  rDev +1.6%

A: Light golden orange color with a nice two finger head. Head dissipates at an average rate and leaves good lacing.

S: Great smell. Soft piney hops with citrus notes.

T: Not what I expected but great. Pine and Floral hops at first with some citrus, pineapple and grapefruit, at the finish. Malt comes through strong on the finish and mellows out hops. Some alchohol presence. Hoppy resin aftertaste.

M: Less carbonation than I thought, nice smooth mouthfeel. Light alchohol and good hop tingle. Coats your mouth and throat with aftertaste.

O: Great Beer. Not as hoppy or bitter as I had anticipated due to strong malt presence. Very pleasant and drinkable for such a high hop content. Will definitely purchase again.

4.12/5  rDev -4.2%

First double/imperial IPA.

A: Nice amber color. Nice 1 finger white head. Decent lacing. Lots of carbonation coming off the bottom.

S: Big pine hop aroma. Citrusy scents behind it. Light alcohol scent. Light earthy, grassy, notes. Very faint malts.

T: Not as bitter as I expected. Little floral hops right at first, that didn't come through in the smell. Then Pine & Grapefruit. Citrus. Very light alcohol that leaves a very warm tingle in your stomach. Lingering hop aftertaste.

M: Medium to full-bodied. Kinda creamy. Not as fizzy as I was expecting. Dry finish.

O: As I said not as bitter as I was expecting. Had VERY high hopes for this one and it came very close to living up to them (maybe my hopes were to high and this is a perfect beer). A super good IPA for the hop lover.

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

This is as close to perfect as I've had so far. I love good strong gin, so IPAs are my thing. This beer pours a pretty light amber with a creamy head and good lacing. The smell is like a late fall pine forest in a bottle, opened on a hot summer day. On the tongue I get strong juniper and mango. Warms well also. Alcohol is not offputting, but gives a nice warm feeling in the belly. I will definitely drink this regularly.

4.39/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a light straw color, hazy & pale, with a 1 finger white head that lingers awhile. all-in-all a very unassuming appearance.

Well, what would you expect? Tons of wonderful hop aroma! Mainly citrus but also notes of freshly cut grass.

-I once heard someone describe Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale as "way too bitter." I think their tongue would implode as soon as it touched a drop of this.-
Lots of very sharp citrus bite right out of the gate. a touch of orange then lemon. Grassy/pine flavors are present but the citrus is the star here. there is some caramel sweetness also but you've got to look a little for it. There is a hint of balance here but only a hint. Finishes dry with, what else, a lingering bitterness.

Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation.

Have wanted to try this for awhile now and I'm glad I finally got the chance. While not something I'd drink every night, I did enjoy it and would defiantly have again. If you haven't tried it before, do yourself a favor and find a few bottles. Just remember before you take the first sip of this amazing brew, "fizzy yellow beer is for wussies."

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%

This beer presents as a nice orange/amber color. Poured from the bottle I get an inch or so of frothy head which transports a floral aroma to the nose. The floral notes are echoed in the flavor, along with a whomping hop bitterness which somehow does not persist long as an aftertaste. This is a very clean and crisp IPA. There is a bit of a citric note to the hoppiness as well. My palate may be ruined already from excessive hop consumption, but I find this beer quite well balanced.

This is a standby for me when I'm shopping for IPAs. This pairs well with steak, burgers, salty foods, and strong cheeses.

4.27/5  rDev -0.7%

I like this beer quite a bit, but bottles in Chicago are rarely as fresh as they should be. I was elated to discover a bottle at Whole Foods that was best before 8/18/2011 - less than two weeks old! Served in a Bell's tulip.

A - Two fingers of white foam settle to a thick ring and near-complete cap, leaving some minimal lacing. The body is a transparent dark golden color.

S - A plethora of hop aromas - tropical fruits, pine, dankness, citrus and perhaps a faint note of alcohol. Some brown sugar malt character and a hint of cereal malt.

T - Lots of piney hops, initial grapefruit bitterness that surprisingly dissipates by the time the finish rolls around. Cereal grain malt backdrop. Not as palate-destroying as I remembered - I must have undergone palate shift since the early days.

M - Medium body, super dry, lower carbonation. Resinous with plenty of residual hop oils.

D - Forgot how easy to drink this beer is - the 7.7% is well-hidden outside of the nose. I split a bomber with Mike and it went down very quickly as a warm-up for some bigger brews. Wish it was this fresh all the time.

4.27/5  rDev -0.7%

Had a sip of my friend's Ruination the other day and had to go get a bottle for myself...

a- golden color with a one inch head. Nice lacing the whole way down my Jets pint glass.
s- lots of sticky hops, resiny and piney. Citrus, mostly grapefruit.
t/m- wow, punched in the face by a fistful of hops. This is a hoppy beer, but it is not at all overpowering. The citrus provides just enough balance, and makes this a brew that hides it ABV very well.
o- this is a great DIPA from stone. I came in expecting a hop assault, especially since this is a Stone beer, but instead got a well balanced beer perfect with my Memorial Day barbeque.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Bomber poured into a tulip glass

Gold/Straw color with a good slightly off white head that lingers.

Smell is slightly citrus with pine in the background

Taste is sweet with a piney hop bitterness.

Bitterness is there but does not destroy the flavor or the finish.

Don't know what I expected but I really liked this beer. Bomber size is always a slight turn off but I would buy this again.

4.3/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Taken from notes on 3.2.11

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass. I did not notice that the best by date was 1.25.11. I would like to review this again with a fresher bottle.

A - Hazy orange, but settles clearer. Huge thick white head that leaves great lacing on the glass.

S - Strongly of piney hops and citrus.

T - Citrus first, then finish more bitter.

D - Super carbonated.

O - Enjoyed, but I need a fresher one to see if the age caused any issues with this one.

4.34/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

From Notes of a Recent Beer Tasting Pary:

The Ruination could Ruin the day after for anyone looking to session this fine crafted ale! The color is a decent golden or light amber, thin head, the nose is quite nice citrusy, the beer has a full body with a lil oil texture. The beer stars off citrusy, then beer turns more bitter as it hangs on the pallet, the mouthfeel is deterioated by the lingering bitterness and higher abv...but I love punishment and would drink this until I was stupid

4.37/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A pours a straw color with a 2 finger head with very good retention.

S a strong note of pine, with a hint of citrus.

T more pine a bit of citrus and some bitterness on the finish. with some malt sweetness.

Overall this is a great dipa well balanced dipa. Easy to drink, yet it has a lot of hop flavors. Like the bottle says it is truely a poem to the glory of the hop.

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: cool, recognizable 22 oz. bottle poured into my brand new Stone tulip glass. Beautiful and healthy sea-foam head over a hazy yellow-orange colored beer. Lacing sticks to the top of the glass already as the head slowly dissapates. Smells of floral and piney hops, and some kind of fruit. Easy on the nose and nothing but pleasant. A twinge of alcohol as it warms up.

Right of the bat, the combination of piney, floral, and citrus hops reach out and grab your palate, and don't let go. The big hop bitterness lasts a good long while after the taste. Further tastes reveal a twinge of apricot or orange right at the very beginning of the sip. But the hops then take over and begin to beat on your tongue, but in a good way. The alcohol is almost non-existent through those strongly bitter hops until it warms up, and even then there is only a small taste of it. It finishes on the dry side with a crisp and clean mouthfeel that I feel makes this beer so great.

This is of course a Stone brew so of course, a plethora of hops was expected. But what strikes me about this one compared to some of their other hop monsters is the balance acheived. For instance, Arrogant Bastard is great, but its too heavy and bogged down by the mouthfeel and it maybe seems slightly overmalted, at least for my taste. Ruination is crisp and clean and refreshing, yet super hoppy and perfect for any hop head needing his hop fix. Fantastic beer, I will buy this again.

4.29/5  rDev -0.2%

Not a bad imperial.

A- Pour a clear amber color with a nice white head. Terrific lacing and retention. Not as dark as the usual imperial ipas

S- Spicy, floral hops. A bit of grapefruit and pine.

T- Sweet caramel flavors up front, almost immediately followed by a wave of hop intensity. Pleasant hop bitterness. Piney, grassy, lemony delight.

M- Very dry. Goes down relatively smooth. Seemed to be a bit under-carbonated.

A great session beer. Will definitely return.

4.12/5  rDev -4.2%

A - Cloudy darker side of golden

S - Grapefruit, citrus, maybe a litle pine. It could be my imagination but I swear I get a little malt coming through especially once it warms.

T - Sweet without being over the top, then finishes dry. I was afraid this would be over the top hops all the way, but it does have a nice balance. Longest hop linger in an aftertaste that I have experienced to date.

M - Creamy with adequate somewhat sharp carbonation

O-For the style its probaly spot on and would be great for any hophead. For me, I would get it again but do prefer plain old IPA's.

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Got a very fresh bomber of this to try - right out of the case before it was even unpacked, approximately 3 weeks old.

A: A light amber color with a beautiful tall white head. Surprisingly light given that it's a double IPA. Head retention is top notch, takes minutes to settle down to a reasonable level and leaves a very nice lacing as well.

S: Yum! Delicious hop aroma. Somewhere in the background is the malt smell but the hops are hugely dominant here. Very citrusy and extremely strong. The kind of beer you can smell from across the room. I keep picking up my glass just to smell the beer.

T: For a split second it tastes sweet and then the hops drop the a-bomb on your tongue. Very strong and very bitter. Typical west coast hop profile, just amplified. No alcohol taste detected, probably hiding behind the hop overload.

M: Medium body with good carbonation. I would say a little lighter than most big double IPAs, it seems they focused more on making the hops big rather than making the entire beer "big" (like a Maharaja or a Double Crooked Tree for example).

D: Pretty low but it's to be expected with a hop bomb like this. I doubt anyone would willingly drink more than one bottle of this at a time. Your tastebuds would give up the ghost. Not really a true negative just a side-effect of the style. Not all beers are meant to be drunk in large quantities.

Overall, I gotta say that this is quite a nice double IPA. It's not quite as big as some of the beers I already mentioned but the hop flavor is there in spades. Very enjoyable beer in all aspects if you can handle the bitterness. Not a beginner's IPA by any stretch of the imagination.

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

As an aussie who doesnt regularly get his hands on such a powerful beer - it has two impressions on me:
1) Over the top, too bitter, hard to decipher the complexity over the bitterness and alcohol.
2) Unbelievably hoppy, complex mix of pinecones, raw tropical fruits, wood, mint. Nice bitter drawn out finish, and enough of malty backbone to take away any possible dry edge.

In short - love it.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.