Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured a hazy orange color with a nice looking off white head. The tiny bubbles were rushing up after the pour. Significant lacing... Nice!

Smell... Very nice aroma. Floral scents... Grapefruit...pine... Definiteley coming from liberal use of HOPS.

Taste. This is Good. This is strong, but very tasty. MMM I like this a lot. Citrus, and pine. That is a good thing for an IPA to taste like Pine by the way.

Mouthfeel. Great. Medium bodied. slightly oily but nice feel.

Overall Far above average, fairly easy to drink too. I will get again. YUM.

latercol, Feb 22, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

12 ounce individual bottle purchased at Ledger's. Poured into snifter. Enjoy by date is unreadable, can make out 09. Comes in at 7.7%.

A-Very nice glowing yellow-orange. No much head. Little ring stays on the side of the glass. Not much lacing.

S-To me it has the characteristic of a great DIPA. Beautiful citrus hits the nose. From the first whiff I know I am going to like it.

T-Citrus hops wallop the tongue. Pine comes through on the back of the mouth. Afterstaste can best be described as hop mouthwash.

M-Thicker body. Nice carbonation is pleasing on the tongue. Finishes crisp on the palate.

D-Crisp...hoppy...good. Alcohol is well hidden. Love the convenience of 12 ounce bottles.

Such a great beer. Deserves to be the in the upper echelon of DIPAs. Need to revisit this guy more often.

mjl21, Feb 22, 2009
3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

Pours a perfect hazy golden glow...not much of a head but still a really nice pour. I hardly ever rate high on appearance but this one is quite nice and reminds me of my favorite, Switchback.
Hops and citrus smells are prominent with a background I cannot quite identify but its a bit earthy.
Really great tasting beer...big hops flavor but not much balance and not too complex. If you are really into hops this is worth a try. It's one sided with hops headed right into alcohol. Despite its lack of complexity I really like this one and would do it again...and again.

WalterSobchak, Feb 21, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +4%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. It pours a lovely golden/copper mix with a ~1 inch off-white head that reduces to a very nice lacing. No sediment and overall transparent.

The smell is, as expected. There is an excellent level of citrus with some pine notes. There is a mild caramel smell behind the other aromas.

The taste is strong in citrus and pine. It also has a mossy component to me with a subtle sweetness from the malts that is quite pleaseant and definitely balances nicely. Quite bitter and a well hidden alcohol level.

The mouthfeel reveals a medium/full bodied brew with an excellent bitterness that lingers on the tongue and feels dry. It is not overwhelming and is quite smooth in my opinion. The carbonation is also well balanced with the flavor.

Overall, this is a very good beer. It is my first time having it and I'm quite impressed. I don't quite think it is at the caliber of Hopslam, but it is very good and I will keep my eyes open for it in the future. It does not overwhelm and prevent future enjoyment in the evening, which makes it even more drinkable to me.

SykDoc, Feb 20, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +9.3%

Stone Ruination IPA
Stone Brewing Company
Style: American Double / Imperial IPA
ABV: 7.70 %

Reviewed @ home 1/4/09, 12 oz bottle > pub pint glass
A big thanks to Carolyn @ Broudy's for "gifting" this to me during our Holiday home brew tasting!
A 4.0 - 2 finger head, solid lacing, golden amber color
S 4.5 - Bold hop aroma as expected, hints of citrus, mild pine notes
T 5.0 - It delivers palate wreckage for sure. Not overly intense as I expected. Enjoyable.
MF 4.5 - Medium carbo, mid-heavy body, bitter but balanced finish
D 4.5 - Excellent for a double IPA, almost sessionable but intensity and ABV could ruin you if you are not careful!

unclejimbay, Feb 20, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

Appearance: Somewhat hazy, rich amber-orange body with a two solid fingers of sticky, off-white head. Good lacing.

Aroma: Pungent, floral, citrusy, and piney hops are the focus here. There's booze and caramel malt underneath, but they're very much subservient to the hop onslaught. This smells damn good.

Taste: Aggressively bitter hops take charge of your mouth from the second they hit the palate, not letting go until they say so. Not just bitter, the hops are still grassy, floral, and citrusy. It's not all one-sided though, with enough caramel malt to keep it from being an absolute blowout. The alcohol is kept in check well. There's a terrifically long bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body that coats the mouth, allowing the aftertaste to linger for minutes. Moderate carbonation and a dry finish.

Drinkability: A little above average for the style, that is to say a relatively fast sipper. There are a lot of hops to contend with, but the alcohol is hidden rather well.

Verdict: Ruination is simply a massive beer. Stone have pulled off something masterful here, by keeping a beer so absolutely drenched in hop oil somewhat balanced. This is a must try for all hopheads.

BeanBone, Feb 20, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +4%

Fist off... Coolest bottle ever. Not cuz of the image so much as the fact that it's painted/ink screened(?) on.. Pour is good but in some ways nothing extraordinary. It sort of looks just like Sam Adams lager or such.. The aroma is AMAZING- I'm not a huge hop fan but this is the sweetest hop aroma I've ever smelled. Flavor is interesting, not just like other hop bombs, this has a smooth balance. Hoppiness isn't biting up front, it's strong but mellow. Has an earthy base with some hint of malt which keeps it's crisp. Mouth is nice. Sort of full, definitely not thin. The aftertaste is pleasant and not overwhelmingly bitter. This certainly lives up to it's A status.. Very enjoyable for hop heads and those who aren't.

BirdFlu, Feb 18, 2009
4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

It's been too long since I've had this beer. It was my first venture into truly hoppy beers. I can't believe I haven't reviewed it yet. Oh yeah, I bought an old bottle last time and it sucked ass so I held off from reviewing. Let's hope this one is fresher!

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Piraat glass.

Appears a slightly hazy orange color with a one inch off-white head that sinks to a skim. Leaves a tiny bit of lacing.

Aromas of heavy citrus and pine, lots of grapefruit, a bit of herbal spiciness. Malt is basically nonexistent here.

Taste is exploding with the hops! What a surprise! Tons of citrus is coming through - grapefruit and orange. Piney flavors come through more in the finish. Believe it or not there actually is a slight sweet malt presence that makes itself known for a split second right at the start of the swallow before the ruination. Finish is bitter as hell.

Mouthfeel is medium, with a very nice creaminess that is crisp towards the end.

I can't believe I've gone this long without. Must have been the $16 per sixer price tag. Definitely one of the best DIPAs out there.

roadhouse, Feb 17, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -8.6%

Brew poured to a cloudy yellow to orange color with a thick off white head that had good retention and left thick lacing along the sides of the glass. From the pour you could clearly notice the heavy amounts of hops that have been used in this brew. That aroma brings forth noticeable pine scent with a slight citrus mix. While this aroma was expected I was expecting it to actually be more pungent as it is labeled as over 100 IBUs. With this being said the hops is all I could pick up. The flavor is about the hops as well, though I feel that it is more like a grapefruit flavor. You do notice a unbalance malt flavor, that mixed together seem to give a slight sweet flavor. As I said the hops are very pungent and the hop resin like favor just sticks to the back of the tongue/mouth. Though this brew weighs in at 7.7% the alcohol does not come out. Nice brew, I am not a big hop head but once in a while they work for me. This one worked and is one I would get again.

Stimack, Feb 16, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

A - One and a half fingers of bone white head on a yellow-orange body with good clarity. The head settles slowly and leaves a thick ring of lace on the wall of the glass.

S - Strong, grapefruit hop aroma with an underlying note of earthy, pine resin. It is hard to get past the hops, but there is a malty aroma under there with some mild caramel notes.

T - Strong, spicy bitterness with lots of pine resin and astringent, almost sour texture. Some malt breifly tries to break through but is beaten back down by sour grapefruit and intense bitterness.

M - Moderate carbonation, medium body, and a dry finish with very high astringency.

D - Take the description on the back of the bottle seriously; if you are not the kind of perverse hop head who enjoys masochistically high levels of astringent hop bitterness then this beer isn't for you. I found the aroma a bit weak and one dimensional, and the flavor more so. I hoped for more flavor and aroma emphasis, but sadly, this was the kind of flat, bitterness oriented IPA that I don't care for. Drinking this was kind of like sucking on a grapefruit filled with juniper berries, and while I do enjoy both grapefruit and gin (often together), that is not the experience I am looking for in a beer, even an IPA.

nickfl, Feb 15, 2009
4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

A - Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Pours crystal clear, goldenrod, with a viscous, creamy white head that slowly dissipates.

S - Floral hops mixed with a bit of sugary sweetness.

T - Piny, floral, bitter hop bite, some sweetness mixed in, cheek puckering bitterness, but sort of a complex, multilayered bitterness. Bitterness. There, I said it again. Bitterness.

M - Crisp, creamy, good carbonation.

Notes - A hop bomb that did indeed ruin my palate for a while, but it'll recover, and be better for the experience. Bitterness.

HeyItsChili, Feb 15, 2009
3.15/5  rDev -26.7%

I am slowing making my way threw the Best of BA list and came across a six pack Ruination.

A. Poured a great looking Orange and slightly cloudy beer, which in turn began the mouth watering.

S. Smell was of a citrus hopy dose, along with hints of grapefruit. Honestly a great smell for a IPA.

Taste and Drink ability was where I ran into so hills on both accounts. From the start to about half the glass I was in love with the malty sweetness and the citrus along with a taste of honey. The amount of hops you are slammed with is heavenly. After the initial half glass the taste left very quickly and became a bland bitterness.

Overall this is a good beer and I would recommend to anyone who loves a great IPA beer. I had hoped my first bottle taste and the loosing of the flavors half way threw it was the cause of food I was eating previously, but later on in the week tried it again and had a repeat result.

BZero007, Feb 14, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

A- An bright orange, very orange, like the color of orange dye #7 orange soda orange, globe forms in my glass. There was just a touch of head on the top, and that soon formed into a pattern, no not the Mona Lisa, or the Virgin Mary, but a tree. There was definitely a tree in the foam of my beer.

S- Strong and hoppy. I mark down beers so often because I don't find the aromas to be strong enough, but no complaints here. There is tangerine, a touch of lime, some crushed pine needles. And it's overlayed on a thick biscuity malt, with a splash of caramel.

T- My first impression is hops. Not, any sort of citrus or pine or earthiness, but pure unadulterated hops. Is it ruinous? I wouldn't say so- certainly bitter as hell, especially if you work it across your tongue. I do notice some malt coming through, but I wouldn't call this a balanced beer. It is absolutely hops forward with no qualms about it.

M- Syrupy, deep mouthfeel. Lasts on your tongue.

O- A delicious beer. This fills my hop requirement for the next month or so. While it's unbalanced, that doesn't really bother me. If you're going to make a hoppy as hell IPA then make it hoppy as hell. So good job Stone.

zdk9, Feb 14, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +3.5%

A - Poured a clear honey amber with a lovely, massive, nicely retaining 3" white head in a tulip. Generous amount of lacing leaving islands of bubbles everywhere. Bubbles continuously stream from the apex of the glass. Beautiful.

S - A beautiful bouquet of hoppy citrus tang, pine resin, and light herbal tones balanced with sweet amber malts and a touch of alcohol. Hops are quite prominent and contribute significantly to the citrusy/piney aromas.

T - A small touch of malty sweetness initiates a full blown hop invasion of the palate. They weren't joking when they stated "all other food and drink items suddenly become substantially more bland than they were..." Incredible complexity of hops starting with an acidic saliva-inducing pucker followed by an intense herbal bitterness similar to lime peels and home-remedies, ending with a small note of sweet caramel malts, honey, and a touch of alcoholic warmth.

M - Medium bodied with a nicely balanced level of carbonation, not too soda like but not flat either. Perhaps it could use a touch more. Incredibly smooth.

D - Quite drinkable! A bomber is easily enjoyed and I could dig another one!

Overall - "Enjoy by 11/19/08" on the side. Do you like being attacked by a relentless onslaught of hops? Do you like how hops take over your palate and hold you hostage until after you have finished the entire bomber? Well this is the beer for you. Intense hoppiness and happiness bundled into one bittersweet package. This is not for the non-hophead. This is the hoppiest beer I have had yet and I love it! The only complain I have is it could use just a touch more carbonation. Otherwise, a hop lover's dream.

PS: Reviewed from notes on 2/12/09, I still have the hoppy goodness in my mouth 2 hours after finishing this beer. What an experience!

DmanGTR, Feb 13, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a clear, yellow-orange with a minimal bright white head. Carbonation cascading to the top.

Smell is of big eye-opening grapefruit and citrus hops. Huge fresh dry-hop smell. Very light malt hiding in the background.

Taste is pineapple, followed by bitter citrus. Very clean with a lingering hop bitterness. Intense dry-hopped taste comes out from hiding as it warms...Nothing too exotic, but very solid indeed. Complex and balanced hop profile. Definitely coming through as it warms-great melding of the dry hop character, citrus, and hop bitterness. Pink grapefruit coming through now--excellent. I think it is giving me cottonmouth--all these hops are drying out my palate!

Mouthfeel is brilliant- allowing it to glide over the tongue with no problem indeed.

Drinkability- After having the Hopslam and Double Simcoe recently, (both at around 10%) this one is much easier to throw down. Great offering.

darklordlager, Feb 13, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured a hazy golden color with a pillowy head and showed massive lacing down the glass. The smell was of huge hops; grapefruit, grass, pine, citrus. The taste up front was very floral and of citrus, with huge hop bitterness on the back of the tongue and down the throat. This is very delicious in every way, a hop lover's dream. Mouthfeel was good, very lively carbonation embraces the entire mouth. Drinkability IMO is high, despite the 7.5% ABV, it just tastes so darn great.

BeTheBall, Feb 12, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a very clear golden honey color from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass. Nice thick dense foamey head that leaves nice sticky lacing all the way down the glass.
Smells like I walked into the middle of a hop field. LOTS of nice citrus hop aroma and I detect a hint of sweet malt in the background, and I do mean a hint and its definitely in the background.
Taste is very similar lots of citrusy hops and some nice piney bittering hops with the finish. again just a hint of some sweet malt.
Nice mouthfeel, good carbonation a little thick.
Great drinkablity considering the amount of hops in this thing.

scifan, Feb 12, 2009
3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

Kudos to grandq for this one. hell of a trader.
A= A thick dense mess of hazy dark yellow with a small head that lasts throughout the drink with great lacing
S= from the moment I took the cap off of this one I got a hop blast. Very piney and grapefruity but there is still a malt backbone to speak of that comes through later leaving you with a little sweetness in the nose.
T= well played Stone, first the malty sweetness is there followed quickly by a bit of hops and a hint of alcohol. finishes bitter with a nice hoppy bit to it.
M= thick and creamy I think. Much thicker than anticipated
D= this one will definitely ruin the ol taste buds. well deserving of the name and a very good beer. somewhat of a sipper though so I'm gonna have to take some points off for the drinkability.

jjanega08, Feb 10, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

thanks to markwise for the trade of this much anticipated brew...

appearance: pours a mid-light amber color into a goblet. decent head retention with little lacing

smell: grapefruit

taste: nice grapefruit hoppiness coming through. this packs a nice hop punch, but not over whelming.

mouthfeel: appropriate amount of carbonation. not too thick and not too thin.

drinkability: this is a nice drinker at 7.7%. by the "100+ IBU's" and the "immediate ruinous effect on your palate" i was expecting this to a a kick you in the face hop. instead it's a very nice brew that i would definitely revisit.

jcompton, Feb 10, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Stone Ruination, on tap ... somewhere, I can't remember, but these were in the notes on my phone, so I figured I might as well upload it!

Appearance: Comes a slightly hazed, sunset orange colored brew with a one-finger, foamy, hop-protein induced (or at least supported) head of definite above-average retention. The carbonation is slow and relatively sparse. The lacing is sheetlike at first, and erratic and glittery thereafter. A solid looking brew, attractive and inviting.

Aroma: Huge herbal grapefruit greets the nose warmly, followed closely by hints and flourishes of strawberries, spicy, hay-like grass, orange peel, lemon zest, a few mint-like notes. This one's wonderfully complex.

Taste: Huge, biting, herbal bitterness, bucketloads of grapefruit and orange zest, mint, grass, and a lot of very high and estery notes. There's also - surprise! - tons of bitterness, but also some balancing sweetness, slightly roasted, but with enough simple sugary notes to keep the bitterness from truly "ruining" your palette (which is in my opinion, a good thing). Again, very complex and well rounded on the hop side of the ledger.

Mouthfeel: Reasonably well carbonated. This one manages to be crisp, despite the fairly thick and sticky body.

Drinkability: A classic. This is an intense brew, bitter yet flavorful, surprisingly low in alcohol for the style (7.7% is nothing to sneeze at, but when DIPAs regularly clock in at double-digits, this one's refreshing), attractive, and crisp. A go-to for hop heads and rightfully so. If you haven't try it, do so. If you have, well, try it again.

CrellMoset, Feb 09, 2009
4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Pours a light brown/goldenish color with a thick white head with great lacing throughout. Aroma is somewhat fruity very hoppy with pine as well. Taste is hoppy and malt with a balance of pine blended in. Mouthfeel is really close to that of a barleywine. This beer is awesome, Stone never dissappoints.

beernut, Feb 06, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

Appearance - Absolutely fantastic. Pours a wonderful light brown color that every IPA should seek. Has a great head and magnificent lacing all the way to the bottom of the glass.

Smell - I wish I could harness this smell and put it in a candle. Obviously, very hoppy, fruits, lots of pine. Very distinctive.

Taste - Are you kidding me? This brew kicks you in the face upon first sip to last. It's crisp, rich, and very balanced. Stone did a marvelous job of balancing so much hops and not ruining the IPA with malts. You still get great malt flavor without hindering the dryness of the hops. There are a couple of fruits that stick out but the pine flavor is overbearing in the greatest of ways.

Mouthfeel - Simply put, amazing. I don't know what else to say about this beer. I wouldn't recommend drinking this with a meal. I would wait until after as you won't be able to taste your food if you drink with it. It definitely lets you know he's there.

Drinkability - Surprisingly good. I found myself sipping on it quicker than I expected. For something so overbearing, it's easy to find yourself picking up your glass so often.

Overall, this beer is absolutely incredible. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. I drank Ruination IPA around 10:30 PM, brushed my teeth later that night, and still had this flavor on my tongue the next morning. INCREDIBLE.

haningj2, Feb 06, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

Simply put, amazing. An IPA which doesn't forget about the barley. A smooth rich barley taste hits your mouth followed immediately by a perfect hop finish. The barley seems to deliver the hops to your taste buds. Expensive, $14.99/six pack at BevMo near San Francisco or about $5.00/22oz bottle...but definitely worth every penny.

Shane94941, Feb 06, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +3.5%

Classic DIPA nose, full of pine, tropical fruit. It's something that all of Stone's beers have in common. The taste is wonderful, with a big blast of hops at the end -- much like Stone says with Arrogant Bastard, I'm not worthy. This is the one beer that is a constant in my fridge, and easily one of my all-time favorites.

Intelligentsia, Feb 06, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +7%

From a bottle with an enjoy by date 4/07/09 so it must be fairly fresh. Pours clear amber with a fat one finger cream color head. Moderate amount of lacings. Aroma is piney resinous hops. Taste is orange grapefruit resinous hops with a surprisingly rich caramel malt partner. The mouthfeel gets fairly close to a barley wine but the taste remains in the IIPA realm. It has a pine needle dry bitter finish. Overall a fine beer. One that I would highly recommend.

Spikester, Feb 06, 2009
Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.