Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

pDev: 10%
Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
Nipitato

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Picked up a bottle at Julio's Liquors in Westborough, MA.

A: Moderate copper hue ringed with a thin just there off white head. Not clear but glowing.

S: A sharp and resinous grapefruit hop aroma. Sweet caramel malt aroma add balance. Alcohol aroma also adds character - of booze.

T: Very puckering hop flavor dominates. Hop character is intensely grapefruit. Some other fruity notes (melon) are also noticeable. Malt flavor provides background support. No alcohol flavor. Malt flavor is sweet - almost sugary.

MF: Light for a double IPA. Well carbonated adds to a filling mouthfeel. Alcohol is well masked - no warming.

D/notes: A double IPA that sets itself apart from its higher level competition due to light mouthfeel, sugary sweet malt, and relatively clean and non-dry finish.

08-21-2007 16:03:47 | More by Nipitato
jackorain

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

A-Dark straw to light amber. Slight haze. 3/4 inch head, great retention, okay lace.

S-big grapefruit hops, green hops, perfumy hops, caramel and biscuit malt are here too

T-Green and grapefruit hops hit right up front with an assertive bitterness. Tangerine hops come in the middle supported by a caramel sweetness from the malt. Third to come is a perfumy hop flavor. Big bitter finish that lingers quite a long time.

M-medium body, even carbonation. Hop oils are prevalent and coat the mouth.

D-This is quite drinkable. Not quite session but I could have several of these babies

Overall-A really good beer, not as bitter as I expected from the build-up from others and on the bottle.

08-21-2007 15:58:26 | More by jackorain
kkipple

South Carolina

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

A: Clear, fizzy, orange-gold, a long lasting tight white head caps it off leaving behind some lacing. Pretty.

S: Sweet grapefruit, fresh citrus hops, slightly sappy, mild pepper, caramel. I like it.

T: A nice blend of fresh citrus hops, pine sap, luscious sweet malt and hints of medicine, apricot, and grain. The hops take center stage here, as they should. What's that? Mandarin oranges? Hmm. Will have to drink another pint to be sure...

M. Excellent. Dry, smooth, and finishes bittersweet. Not harsh at all, which is appreciated.

D: Good for the style. Not unlike Stone IPA on juice. Recommended for the hop head.

08-21-2007 03:50:56 | More by kkipple
ArrogantB

Colorado

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

The first time I drank this beer I instantly tasted a nice bubblegum flavor. This time I am not sure I taste that but I do taste a very perfume, floral, and extremely bitter taste. The smell reminds me of Stone IPA, no surprise there. The bitter aftertaste is strong with this one but in a good way. Appearance is yellow with a perfect white head filling the top two inches of the mug. There is a little astringency in the mouthfeel. This beer was nice to revisit. This really is ruinous to the palate, thanks Stone!

Update 3/15/14

Nice grapefruit aroma and flavor. Nice IPA, just wish it had some pine or dank.

08-20-2007 15:09:38 | More by ArrogantB
MiguelMandingo

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

I had been waiting to try this one for a long time. It was worth the wait. Big thanks to "Once Upon a Vine" in Richmond, VA for supplying me with some bottles.

Poured part of a Bomber into a tulip glass.

Appearance - it has a 2 finger frothy head, and is a golden transparent caramel color. Left tons of lacing.

Smell - It smells of hops, and a lot of it. Notes of citrus grapefruit, and pine. It has an underlying caramel malt smell as well. Very balanced.

Taste - It tastes just like it smells. Tons of hops in front with a nice caramel malt background. It is far more balanced than Stone's original IPA. Alcohol is almost completely absent from the flavor.

Mouthfeel - Near perfect level of carbonation. Goes down crisp and smooth.

Drinkability - Incredible. It would be very easy to drink many
more of these if I had access to them.

I don't know what else to say. This is one of the best DIPAs I have ever had. It is a shame that these aren't sold in Texas. It was worth the wait, and it was worth the search. Find this one if you haven't had it yet.

08-17-2007 03:28:12 | More by MiguelMandingo
genog

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle pours a bright orange color into a pint glass. A creamy thick white head sits on top of this tasty brew. Smell is grapefuit, and pine, and it smells absolutely delicious. First taste of this beer is bittering hops, followed by a caramel malt that is a powerful one-two punch. Carbonation is strong and creates a very refreshing finish. One of my favorite IPAs, and right up there with Two Hearted.

08-16-2007 02:36:49 | More by genog
ommegangpbr

4.47/5  rDev +4%

Ruination in 6 packs of 12 ounce bottles... what a fine idea.
Seems pricey at around the $15 range for a 6 pack, but considering that it costs $4-6 per bomber, the price is reasonable. I'm sure the cost of the hops that go into this guy is considerable.
This review would be for one of them bottles.
Loooks... like a beer. Not as deep in color as I recall; resembles sparkling cider. Offwhite head that intends to stay for quite some time leaving rings of lace as it reluctantly recedes.
The scent is killer. Nearly knocks you off your feet then pummels you into the ground. Sharp, spicy and floral with a suggestion of malts underneath.
Flavors are pretty in your face with them there hops. The malts are almost like a slender young woman trying not to be dragged down the street by her 150 pound rottweiler. Layers of hop flavor doing different kinds of magic.
Mouthfeel manages to stay restrained. Bitterness is there but it's not ugly. Layers of texture are interesting and enjoyable.
While I'm not about to guzzle gallons of this stuff I always mean to seek it out again and again. A 12 ounce serving can be plenty but that doesn't mean you don't want to consume more.
A double India pale ale standard.

08-16-2007 01:53:16 | More by ommegangpbr
chefnash51

Connecticut

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

The HYPE is true.. I have been hearing about how good this beer was for sometime now. Finally made my way North to Mass and picked some up. It wasn't cheap, but I had to go with a 6 pk. (15.99)

So glad I did. This is not a 6 pk I will be sharing with anyone. It is just too good and expensive. I will however, encourage all I know to seek this out, maybe offer a sip or two.

This to date is the best IIPA I have had.

Beautiful Golden colors.
Smells like a hop bomb dream.
Tastes like I want to have another one. So hoppy, great malt base brings as much balance as I could want in a Double IPA.

Exceptional.

08-15-2007 17:52:55 | More by chefnash51
jayfarley3

Nevada

4.7/5  rDev +9.3%

from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass pours a coppery clear color with a big foamy white head. smells of flowery piney hops. taste is very hoppy, a hint of alcohol and nicely balanced bitterness, this is an amazing beer. this is a nice medium-body brew with low carbonation and very good drinkability. definitely try this if you haven't yet.

08-15-2007 00:12:54 | More by jayfarley3
Keitherduder

4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Normally I'll only get 22oz bottles if I was gonna split it with someone. But Once I got a wiff and a taste, I'm glad my friend bailed on me!
The appearance was great. A very nice orange cloudiness. Not too cloudy. Just enough to let me know that I'm in for a full bodied heartfelt beer!
The nose made the smile on my face even bigger. Very nice citricy hop aroma. I may have even picked up on a bit of carmely maltness as well.
The taste was great. Full bodied. Great balance between the bitterness and sweetness... which is normally where i find fault in IPA's.
I just may have to head back to pick up another because the drinkability on this great IPA is outstanding!

08-12-2007 20:27:42 | More by Keitherduder
onthefarside

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

Holy crap where do I start with this beer. Picked it up at Oliver's Beverage, the best place to buy beer in upstate NY. I took it out of the fridge for about 15-20 minutes for it to warm up and then poured it into a pint glass. I saw a delightful amber/apricot colour with a respectable head for an IPA, let alone a DIPA, which at only 7.4 i find hard to really consider a double. However it left good lacing on my glass and smelled absolutely delicious. When Stone says ruination they mean it. It totally dominates every sense. the smell is of a beautiful hop medley and makes my mouth water. Taste wise, at first the bitter of hops attacks the tounge, followed by a bit of a sweet malty taste, then more hops and long after it is swallowed you can feel the hops lingering. mouthfeel is perfect, although i love it, i find dogfish head 90 minute to be rather thick where this is perfect, not too watery. swishing around on the tounge is pleasurable. Finally drinkability, despite being 7.7% abv, you cannot taste the alcohol AT ALL, wether this is due to the hops or a tasty malt, I do not know, but if you drink a bomber of this you probably will feel it. Be careful with this one!

Overall this is a great beer, a little pricey but that's what BA high reviews do. I would definately keep buying this, espeically in 6 packs would be great.

08-12-2007 00:40:47 | More by onthefarside
ThatWineGuy

Ontario (Canada)

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%

This was a gift from someone's Buffalo jaunt the other day, received with thanks and anticipation. Having just poured it, I was required to answer the doorbell, then returned to find a whisp of thin, white cloud suspended in the middle of the glass with a few bubbles like tiny eyes peaking up at me. At arms length, this was a hazy, blurry amber/gold with a hint of apricot in appearance. Upon closer examination, however, there was a healthy, energetic multitude of tiny bubbles rapidly moving upwards - more than in some sparkling wines I've known!

Ahhh, an aroma of hops abounds with a full hoppy taste, I feel like I'm swishing a mouthful of fire. The finish is long and drawn out, a pronounced bitterness that envelopes to the top of the throat and doesn't want to quit. Tell me, why isn't every IPA made like this? I forgot, I live in Ontario! With a quarter glass left after some 30 minutes, a second pour from what remains in the one pint, six fluid ounce bottle produces a generous, cream-coloured frothy head with plenty of carbonation continuing.

It's at this point that I stop to admire the bottle and read the wordy label. I find Stone Breweries true to their word: this is one hoppy IPA as the assault continues to delight and satisfy. Keep up the good work Stone Breweries and thanks too for a bottle that's a devilish work of art.

08-10-2007 16:30:33 | More by ThatWineGuy
MrMcGibblets

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

poured from a bomber, this was a light copper/apricot in color with surprising clarity-just a bit of haze even through the last pour. a quickly diminishing, smallish white head. this certainly doesn't look scary...smell is quite inviting, with sweet doughy malts and resiny, piney citrus predominating. the tasting is where this beer really shows itself, with the moderate malt sweetness lasting only for a moment before the waves of hop bitterness rush in. bitter like few other beers i've had, and i enjoy dipa's. the only beer i could compare to this in it's balance of bitterness is fantabulous resplendence x fresh. the bitter finish goes on and on. i doubt that there are any living microbes in my mouth after a bomber of this. if this were a pepper, it would be a scotch bonnet. medium to full in body. the spicy, peppery, resiny bitterness really coats the back of the tongue and throat. this is a sipping beer that could stand up to everything and overwhelm most anything.
definitely improves as it warms, i would recommend taking this out of the fridge for about 15 minutes before pouring.

08-10-2007 04:50:22 | More by MrMcGibblets
nightcrawler

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Great carbonation with a thick, foamy head that left tracings down the entire pint glass.

The smell is sweet and fruity. Enough hops in this to clear even the worst sinus congestion. The taste was sort of fruity with almost no bitterness. Just a slight alcohol taste mixed in with malt taste.

Way too easy to drink with the high alcohol content. Yes, the buzz on this beer may be a bit over the top, but there are other beers getting more press that are far worse.

08-10-2007 00:23:21 | More by nightcrawler
Rainintheface

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

My first bottle of Stone, I've sampled at tastings, but now it's time to dig in.

A: orange, copper with nice frothy off white head; decent retention with attractive lacing.

S: flowery hops, citrusy grapefruit

T: hoppy but not overly bitter just a slight grapefruit twang. malt plays nicely off the hops

M: fruity, moderate carbonation and medium body. hops on the tongue. dry finish

D: Hell yeah it's drinkable but beware the alcohol is fairly well hidden

22oz bottle I was always turned off by Stone's labeling, it never did anything for me. Which I know: Don't judge a book... but foolishly that's what I did. I've certainly missed out on a fine beer.

08-09-2007 22:50:33 | More by Rainintheface
soupyman10

District of Columbia

4.13/5  rDev -4%

Pours a solid copper color with a nice two fingers of fluffy head on top. Nose is strong on hops with caramel malt backing it up. Taste is similar. Hops and sweet malt are surprisingly balanced for a DIPA, with a good amount of grapefruit tossed in as well. Body is medium to full, with good carbonation. This one is fairly surprising for a DIPA. I'd almost expect it to be a second IPA, because, while not particularly hoppier than the Stone IPA, it has a quite different flavor (lacking in some of the sourness?). Because of this, I think it'd be a perfect beer to introduce people to DIPAs. It also makes it much more drinkable than a lot of DIPAs. It's a tasty beer that's in keeping with Stone's consistent excellence.

08-09-2007 21:34:40 | More by soupyman10
slagle9480

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

A: Poured a nice orange, with a foamy head. Loved the bottle it came in, too. Stone outdoes most other brewers when it comes to labeling, etc.

S: Ruination smells like what I imagine a man's favorite flower would smell like, if that makes any sense. The aroma is explosive. I didn't have the glass within 6 inches of my nose and I caught the citrus-y, flowery smell.

T: Good god... This must be what heaven is like. If I die tomorrow I'm glad I tried this beer. The hops are out of this world. The flavor is uncomparable to most IPA's. Ruination takes the cake kids. I wish I had a keg of this.

M: Ruination is banging. The mouthfeel is perfect for an IPA. You can't go wrong with this beer.

D: Get real. I could drink this all day and all night. I'd be drunk as hell, but I couldn't be happier. Big props to the boys down at Stone Brewing Company. Excellent brew.

08-08-2007 23:28:48 | More by slagle9480
warmstorage

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

22 ounce bottle, $3.99 (on sale) at Brown Jug Warehouse in Anchorage, AK.

Visual: pours a deep gold, lots of visible carbonation present. Light, white head moderately dense. Minimal lacing.

Aroma: Perfume-y and piney hops, slightly sweet hops, minimal malt.

Taste: perfume and pine and resin and slightly spicy hops, hints of orange/tangerine. Nice hop bodied.

Mouth: slightly slick and moderately full, little of the heat one might expect from a 7.7% ABV beer.

I like Ruination: a lot. So don't get me wrong when I say that I think it's a seriously overhyped beer, and that it's silly to consider it an excelletn example of DIPA as a style. It's an OUTSTANDING West Coast style American IPA. As a DIPA, it would be a little lacking in hop blast and alcohol presence. It's way to easy to drink, and lacking hops, and power, and sheer strength, for me to put it into the same category as Pliny (especially Younger but also Elder), Exponential Hoppiness, Great Divide Hercules, Bristol DIPA, Moylander, or even Stone 10th, which I consider benchmarks of the style.

I actually slightly prefer the pronounced hops in Stone IPA, but Ruination is a really nice diversion now and then.

As an aside on pricing, cult following, and perceived scarcity/value: the same Brown Jug that is charging $3.99 a bomber for this on sale is charging the indefensible price of $15.99 for a six pack of 12 ounce bottles. (Yet only $9.99 for a sixer of Stone IPA.) Do I really think they are paying 60% more for Ruination than IPA? Not for a second. They just know they can get a shitload for Ruination, so they do.

08-06-2007 04:40:20 | More by warmstorage
TheBierBand

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured from the 22 oz. bomber into an oversized wine glass to form a nice 1/2" head of a dense beige foam. The beer is honey colored and a touch cloudy. The lacing is nice and clumpy.

The scent is subdued citrusy hops.

OK.... after all the hype.... and the intimidation of reading the bottle....here goes.... the taste... NICE!.... I'm still here.... and very much alive.... as are my tastebuds.... This is a fine example of an American DIPA!... Great hops.... more citrusy than piney.... but I can taste BOTH. But that's not the end of it.... there is also a nice malt balance in the background. Hey, wait a minute.... there's also a hint of earthy woodsy flavor.

The mouthfeel is just a tiny bit too fizzy for my taste. IMO could be slightly less on the carbonation.... not much.... perhaps 10% less.... then it'd be perfect...(IMO). Perhaps even a harder pour would take care of that. (and, as I poured the remainder of the bomber in my 12 oz. oversized wine glass... I tested this theory by pouring from a steeper angle.... this dissipated the carbonation into more head.... and essentially fixed the carbonation issue for me). Still, this ale provides a nice mouth coating and aftertaste.

Drinkability.... Still quite good.... This is a very good example of the style (ADIPA). You're not going to chug back 3 or 4 of these bombers in an afternoon.... but 2 wouldn't be out of the question.... to satisfy your inner Hop Head. The Bier Band highly recommends Stone Ruination IPA for the serious hop enthusiast. BMC Lovers... stay away!

08-05-2007 15:52:37 | More by TheBierBand
bigman147

New Hampshire

4.43/5  rDev +3%

Appearance: Pale straw color, slightly hazy in the glass with an even white head that gives way to some sticky resiny lacing on the glass.

Aroma: Fresh cut hops, very piney/grapefruity resiny hops. Lots of hops. A hint of alcohol on the nose and a slight malt sweetness. Very juicy aroma.

Taste: Mouth watering juicy hops. Well balanced combination of alcohol, malts and hop bitterness. A bready yeasty character that hides behind the citrusy sweet finish. Bitterness is strong but not as strong or unbalanced as most IIPA.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is medium. Body is somewhat full with a good amount of malt sweetness. Slightly drying with the hop flavor.

Drinkability: This is a very tasty and flavorful beer. A perfect everyday drinking Double IPA. The alcohol is probably one of the big detractor for drinking alot of this.

08-01-2007 02:34:02 | More by bigman147
kcillini77

Kansas

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

As good as expected. Brought this back with me from a trip to CA and saved it for a lazy Sunday evening. Hops are the key on this one, but actually tastes like it has a higher alcohol content than it does. Very well balanced and smooth. Heaven in a bottle (or, actually, a Duvel glass).

07-30-2007 03:12:32 | More by kcillini77
WillieMoe

4.63/5  rDev +7.7%

This is a hophead's dream. It pours a beautiful amber color and gives off a subtle hop smell. This is a delicious IPA, maybe the best I've ever had. It has a great balance about it's flavor. Not too bitter, and doesn't have a strong aftertaste. This is very drinkable, and recommended for any hophead out there.

07-29-2007 12:51:42 | More by WillieMoe
Risser09

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

12 Oz Bottle Poured Into A Wine Glass

Appearance: Golden orange with a cakey white head. The head flows up to and inch and is slowly dissapating. The beer itself is a bit cloudy and has bubbles fleeting to the top of the beer.

Smell: Hop flowers, grapefruit (and plenty of it). Alcohol, seashells, and roses.

Taste: Wow. A pleasant mix of pine and grapefruit, with maybe a little more grapefruit. I like the balance of the two together. Other tastes include strawberry and some honeysuckle. I am giving this beer a 5 for taste because of the complexity and balance. It's not completely mindblowing, but the flavor is full and strong, is nicely floral and hasn't weakened throughout the beer. Well Done.

Mouthfeel: Another 5. Very creamy upfront and all the way to the end. A bittering finish in the throat is all you ask for when it comes to the strong hop flavor. The subtle carbonation lets me focus on the sweet smell and flavor. Alcohol is present but not overwhelming.

Drinkability: Awesome. Probably one of my favorite DIPAs at this point. Low on the ABV and high in flavor, aroma, and mouthfeel. I could and would drink plenty of these in one night. To me this is up there with Double Simcoe, with better taste but not better aroma. One of the top 3 DIPAs I have ever had. Bravo.

07-27-2007 22:17:20 | More by Risser09
TexIndy

3.98/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured from a 650ml bottle with no dating info into my trusty pint glass. It was opaque orangish color kinda like a dark butterscotch. It had a smaller head that I expected but still decent. Good lacing. The aroma was of course insane hops - more citrusy than floral. Was a combination of smells but one of them I definitely didn't like so hurt the score a bit. The taste had the same problem. Starts off really good but has this weird aftertaste. Not sure but what it is but don't like it. Fortunately, it's not dominant enough to ruin the whole experience. Mouthfeel is good with nice hop attack. Overall, it's a good beer but that weird smell/taste keeps it out of the top ADIPA's for me. Need to try again to make sure a good sample but the review is for this bottle. (3.5, RB-TA, T, O)

07-27-2007 02:21:22 | More by TexIndy
OWSLEY069

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

Pours a clean orange-ish color with a tan head. Aromas of cittrusy hops, and in the taste a dryer grapefruity hop taste. A extreme hop aftertaste and a dry end. A small stickiness and lacing on the glass as well. Hoppy, smooth, and hides alcohol quite well.

07-26-2007 20:29:04 | More by OWSLEY069
Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.