Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

pDev: 10%
Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
josiahschlender

Oregon

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

I'm not going to deny that I love hops and double IPAs. Ruination IPA is one of the best I've had, I'll try not to gush too much.

The color is pretty light for this type of beer. It's a clear, attractive golden orange with a good lasting creamy head. Poured from a badass gargoyle-stamped bottle.

This is one of those beers that you can smell across the room. It explodes with fresh, oily hops. Lots of bright citrus (grapefruit the strongest) and sharp pine scents. Just a little toasted malt, but not much can cut through the hop assault. Even as the head goes down, Ruination continues to waft pleasantly around.

Fortunately, the taste is more rounded. More hearty, light malts are noticeable to compliment the citrus. Drinking this beer reminds me of eating a perfectly sweet and tangy grapefruit with a golden piece of toast. Bitterness is strong, but the sweetness of the malts and citrus tang prevent it from being a pucker bitter beer. If you're eating anything, this beer will obliterate whatever you tasted last. The flavors are complex and keep going and going.

Mouthfeel is creamy, slick and substantial. It rounds out the hefty flavors, I'm glad it's not too thin.

The hops will bring me back to this beer again. Stone has done an incredible job with making this beer completely over the top and yet incredibly good. At $5+ a 22oz bomber and being such a tastebud scorcher, it's anything but a session beer, but it's not enough to drop down the drinkability in my opinion.

01-04-2008 02:47:58 | More by josiahschlender
tweeder263

3.9/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours out a hazy golden amber beer,with a moderate head. Has a raw hop smell,,what i mean by raw is, is that it smells like hops in the brew kettle. Taste is sweet with lots o hops,,im not sure what type but theres tons of em! Initial sweetness leads to a slow lingering hop bitterness.Mouthfeel is a little bold,,not too much. Drinkability is good,,but i think one or 2 would be sufficient. The longer i drink it seems the hops get a lil monotonous { and i love hops} but im not sure that whats used in here are exactly my faves. Not bad at all but given the choice i would prefer 90 min IPA.

01-04-2008 01:37:37 | More by tweeder263
Hatch

Kentucky

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle. I love the bottles Stone Brewery uses; very unique. Has a "best before" date printed at the bottom of the bottle.

Pours a dark straw color, amber, with hints of orange coming through. Forms a nice white head about a finger deep that fades into some very nice lacing that sticks around throughout the entire experience. A very nice looking beer.

Smells of hops, hops, and more hops!! Smells of fruity pine, with some slight alcohol coming through; a sweet hoppy smell.

Taste as good as it smells. You get the bite of the malt at first then the bitterness of the hops comes in, leaving a very bitter, piny aftertaste. The alcohol warms on the way down, but is well hidden. A very good balance of malt and hops. Although the label on the beer makes it out to be a little more intimidating than it actually is, it remains a very good representation of a double IPA.

Mouthfeel is very good; not really thick, but definitely not thin; almost oily. Nice amount of carbonation to give it a mild crisp feel.

This is a very drinkable beer, even for 7.7% ABV, which is well hidden throughout the entire experience. Hopheads will love this beer, but so will anyone else who enjoys a good IPA. More bitter than your average IPA, but hey, that's what they were trying to do.

Notes: Definitely one of the better double IPAs out there and it gets props for being on of the easier to find ones. This is also my first review for BA, so yeah!!

01-03-2008 07:24:30 | More by Hatch
allergictomacros

Ontario (Canada)

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

A - Clear gold with a thick and solid head. I wonder if this one's settled a little too much.

S - Nutty, woody, earthy aromas are forefront, with a touch of fruitiness and soap.

T - Assertively bitter, with a good deal of alcoholic complexity - almost boozy. Slight roast and nuttiness. Herbal/floral almost a minty-like intensity.

M - Full body, slick and soft carbonation.

D - Pretty tasty and I do like this.

NB I'm a little concerned that my impressions seem to be quite different from most other reviewers, so take this particular review with a grain of salt. Hopefully I'll get to rereview this one.

01-02-2008 18:09:23 | More by allergictomacros
peck95

Washington

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

pours a pale orange with a big creamy head. that doesn't go away.
the smell is euphoric a blend of several different hops citrus and piny with a roasted malt undertone
taste is similar to smell
this beer is not as thick as i expected but is relatively smooth
one doesn't have to be a hop head to enjoy this although liking hoppy beers would help.

01-02-2008 02:01:49 | More by peck95
abcsofbeer

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured from a 22oz bomber with a slightly cloudy and light amber color. There is a good amount of carbonation and rising bubbles. The beer is topped by a 11/2 finger head that is off-white in color and provides a good deal of sticky lacing.

The aroma is comprised of a large amount of flowery pine scents. The hop smell is quite abundant and is more than adequate for the style. The taste is a fabulous blend of hoppy but smooth and a good amount of tasty malts. The hoppiness gets more apparent and plentiful as it warms and you fall to the bottom of the glass.

The mouthfeel is held together by the spicy and bold hop flavor and body. There is a surprising amount of smoothness to this IPA too. Very nice and tasty.

01-01-2008 01:52:14 | More by abcsofbeer
WoodHammer

Colorado

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Appearance: Beautiful straw color. Decent head with a good pour, but retention is somewhat lacking; of course, typical for style and low protein content.

Smell: Hop aroma with a hint of sweetness. Personally my favorite part of this beer.

Taste: Boom - brilliantly bitter with long lingering hop effect.

Mouthfeel: Good - astringent as expected. Not thin like a lighter pale ale, but full

Drinkability: This is NOT a marathon beer and after one or two your taste buds will be shot. Oh well, you can't have it all.

12-30-2007 19:34:05 | More by WoodHammer
RblWthACoz

Pours clear straw with a one finger head and strong lacing. Nose is light - lighter than the Stone IPA. Has a mild citric smell. Flavor carries heavy citric tones with more bitterness throughout. I am drinking this one right after the Stone IPA and I find this one to be more robust and thorough. The IPA is a bit tamer and this one is a bit..."harsher", shall we say. I give them both the same ratings because I feel they are both different, but the same in quality.

12-30-2007 05:40:40 | More by RblWthACoz
speakorspasm

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

Enough has been said about this beer, but another two cents won't hurt. Everything about this beer, from the massive aromatics to the complex taste, is magnificent. On draught in a snifter, in a six-pack... This beer is partially responsible for pushing a few of my friends to beer appreciation.

12-27-2007 14:26:40 | More by speakorspasm
barleywinebrewer

New Hampshire

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

I finally decided to try this brew over the holiday weekend. Yeah, 999 reviews as of this posting. It is one heck of a hop bomb but unlike a one note song, this one has a great nose and layers of hop effect to create a killer one two punch. If hops is your thing this should be a must try.

12-26-2007 14:24:10 | More by barleywinebrewer
trill

Mississippi

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

Clear, golden honey color, 1/2" eggshell-colored head with good retention. Smell is rich, chewy, piney hops, sweet malt, and a hint of medicinal alcohol. Taste is a blast of grapefruit and earthy hops, with subtle carbonation, delicious tingly bitterness, and toasty malt that keeps things from being one-sided. Mouthfeel is really perfect for having so little malt flavor; it's thick enough to keep the hops from abusing your tongue. Similar to Three Floyds Alpha King, with broader, more complex bitterness, and a touch less malt.

12-26-2007 03:57:06 | More by trill
SkinnyElvis

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

Purchased at the Beeryard in Wayne. Pours a little clear for a DIPA. Nice lacing. Big smell of pine hops. Tastes a bit bitter with a citrus feel. Mouthfeel is smooth & it is drinkable for a big DIPA. I am spoiled that I can buy this whenever I want. Probably the definition of the style.

Cheers.

12-23-2007 22:09:03 | More by SkinnyElvis
EPICAC

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

On tap at Bukowski's in Boston.

Appearance: Pours a nice copper with a light haziness to it. Topped by a creamy beige head that fades slowly to a film, leaving sheets of lace.

Smell: The hops really dominate the aroma. There's a fainty sugary maltiness that's eveident, but herbal, resiny and citric hops are at center stage here. There's also a hint of grassiness.

Taste: Toasty maltiness followed by some caramel sweetness are evident briefly. Resiny and citric hops soon take over making for a very bitter finish with a bit of alcoholic spice.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied. Moderate carbonation. A bit of oiliness.

Drinkability: Pretty strong and hoppy.

12-23-2007 00:59:27 | More by EPICAC
NCBeernut

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

I found this bottle at New Beer while in NYC. They don't have this back home, so I had to grab a bomber.

Nice hazy golden orange, two finger head that fades to a thin layer that leaves some good lacing.

Smell and taste almost identical. Fresh pineapple, even more prevalent in the nose than taste. Floral citrusy hops are all over the place. Definite honey presence makes itself known, and is more obvious in the taste than the smell. This sweetness tries to help balance but ultimately fails. A bit of orange in the aftertaste.

Very pleasant mouthfeel at the beginning, then sticky, hop oils cling to your mouth everywhere. It seriously is almost like chewing a raw hop flower (yes, I have done this before).

This beer defines a hop bomb. It really could use a little more malt to help balance. The hop shortage is probably due to Stone Ruination. If you don't love hops, then don't even touch it. As for me, I won't have any trouble finishing this bomber.

12-22-2007 19:30:44 | More by NCBeernut
JohnGalt1

Idaho

3.95/5  rDev -8.1%

22oz from the Coop for about $4 (I think.. could be more could be less) ... shared with Brenda.. mine from a shaker pint.

nice big head atop an only slightly hazy yellow brew... lite lacing suprisingly.

smell is citrus floral and pine hops... no malts to speak of.

big bitterness and lite/medium body.. could use a touch more viscosity.. hop flavor is pretty comples... floral melts into citrus rinds... in to the pine... only enough malt flavor to be noticeable... IMHO, it could use more malt flavors and body.

I know everyone loves this one, but I would not put Ruination in my top 10 DIPA's... too one dimensional.. and yes I know that's what the Stone boys were inetending... but I would appreciate a touch more malts.

12-22-2007 04:54:30 | More by JohnGalt1
Mebuzzard

Colorado

4.64/5  rDev +7.9%

So, this is my second review of this beer almost a year after the first. I must say this is a great brew.
Glossy mahagony body with orange and slight brown tints. It glows. Very nice, smooth, conformed white head. Sticky. Laced the glass well.
Aroma is crisp and citrusy. The alcohol peaks through a bit, but remains hidden. The hops really load the nose.
Taste is very up-front. A slight hint of orang peel, grapefruit, flower, and green stems is slammed out of the way by the bite of the hops. Tingy. Almost like a spice bite, but more crisp. Nice flavor hides the alcohol. I bought a bomber, so this is gonna be a battle of my taste buds with the hops. A bit hard to drink this big bottle.

12-21-2007 20:52:59 | More by Mebuzzard
DIPAbrewer

Delaware

3.98/5  rDev -7.4%

Stone just recently began distributing here in MD so I finally got a chance to sample this extreme ale. I poured it from a 12 oz bottle into a wine glass and was struck by how light it was. Many big hoppy beers like this look a little more amber, orange, or ruby this one is a full gold.

The Aroma was grapefruit and pine backed by sweet malt. I wasn't knocked out by the aroma, but it was there and fairly complex.

The flavor is this ale's best attribute. It is sharply bitter but somewhat balanced by rich sweet malt flavor. When I say balanced you must consider the source. I am a serious hophead and haven't found a beer yet that was too hoppy.

The mouthfeel and drinkability were both pretty good as well, I could drink two but probably wouldn't. This is a good beer to end the night with, unless you've got some very hoppy Imperial Stouts lined up.

If you're a hophead you need this beer if not, why are you reading this?

12-19-2007 07:44:54 | More by DIPAbrewer
sever

Arizona

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

Wow, this is an intense beer.

This beer is all about hops. And dryness. It pours a thin head, and the aroma is super strong pine-sol grapefruit. Immediately the beer sucks all the moisture out of your tounge and replaces it with a spicy hop symphony! The aroma and taste are overwhelming!
This beer will cut through your palate and replace it with damn hoppy beer in no time flat. I If you think there's no such thing as too much hops, try this beer. You'll discover just how much of a hophead you really are.t is ludicrously enjoyable. However, it is exceptionally dry and strong, and you won't always be in the mood for it. It is an IPA, but one made with no regard to anything but itself. This is everything but a neutral beer. You will either find it disgusting or worship it. When you are in the mood, this beer is will hold its own as one of the most lovely aggressively hopped beers out there. As insanely hoppy as it is I find it pleasuring and satisfying. Brutal!

12-17-2007 05:21:55 | More by sever
caminiti

4.43/5  rDev +3%

Very drinakable brew for the high IBU and IPA.
Poured from a 22 oz. bomber from Olivers, the source of most of my beers, on a lousy, cold, snowy, icy night, this was meant to bring me in from shoveling and cheer me up, and it did.
Appearance is orange and a bit hazy, smell is exactly what you would expect from the advertising, hops, hops, more hops a little sweetness/fruit.
The beer goes down well, maybe too easily, for the 7.7%. A great beer and worth it.

12-16-2007 20:50:19 | More by caminiti
lightindarkness

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

In my search to drink the best IPAs I can put my lips to, this seemed an obvious try. I picked up this 12oz bottle the other day and saved it for a special occasion - a random Thursday night.

It poured a slightly hazy golden-orange color. There was a decent foamy head that sat down to some patchy creamy bubbles as I let it warm up a bit in the glass. There was a pretty good coating of patchy lace around the glass as I emptied it.

This beer has a very attractive aroma, with plentiful hops and some fruity sweetness. The piney bitterness is really concealed well in the richness of the scent, masked with floral tones and soft fruit.

A nice full taste with each sip, filled with plenty (maybe plenty is an understatement) of hops and fruit, some rounded sweetness of flowers. Regardless of the of the up-front taste, the complexity and flavor are shattered at the finish of this beer with an overwhelming dry, hoppy backlash of bitterness, leaving a chewy toasty, hoppy taste. This dies down with some time to a bready residual flavor. Hoppy. Hoppy. Hoppy.

The mouthfeel Is relatively calm for the 100 IBU, 7.7% alcohol content makeup of this beer. Finishes with a smoldering feel that I keep trying to quench with more sips.

I find this beer surprisingly drinkable, despite its intense characteristics. As artfully crafted IPAs go, this beer is not as intimidating as its label suggests, as long as you like hops.

12-14-2007 00:16:33 | More by lightindarkness
Tilley4

Tennessee

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

I'm not worthy of this beer.

I had delayed trying this beer because after reading some of the reviews, I was of the opinion that it was just an over the top beer that was trying to be too extreme. I was on a beer run a couple hours away from the house and saw this 12 oz bottle on the shelf and thought, "What the heck!" Best decision I've made beer-wise ever.

I can't imagine a beer being much better than this. Beautiful glowing honey color that smelled wonderfully hoppy but not overly so.

I was expecting this beer to be really bitter and extreme, but it's so drinkable, it's dangerous. It is a hoppy beer but I actually found myself wishing it was a bit more so. I was expecting something that would make me put it down and say, "What have I gotten myself into?" That being said, this may very well be the best beer that I've ever had in my life. It was a bit bitter on the finish but not overly so and all the hype that it has was worth it. It is that damn good. I will no longer pass this up when I see it. I will have this in my beer fridge at ALL times from this moment on. I'm headed up in a few weeks to grab some Dreadnaught and I'm curious to see how it stacks up.

Again, excellent beer! Highly, highly recommended!!!

12-13-2007 04:05:25 | More by Tilley4
altgeeky1

New Hampshire

4.7/5  rDev +9.3%

Pours light caramel, with a very healthy head. Head takes a while to settle down, to a lace around the edges and across the top.

Smells like an extreme IPA. You can smell this from the nose, or just by inhaling you can 'feel' the hops and alcohol in your throat. Can't say more -- you know what you're in for next!!

Tastes sweet malt, with hops moving to the front quickly. After a swallow, a slight alcohol burn moves in. The hops? The hops are beautiful and stay with you for minutes.

Mouthfeel is pretty good.. more malt body than you expect. The beer just kind of 'rolls' in your mouth from the hops and the malt. The carbonation is very comfortable.

This beer goes down very well. You can sip it, or drink it more like a session beer. IPA's are not for everyone, and this one especially is quite heavy on the hops. In terms of taste, the alcohol is surprisingly not overpowering.

12-12-2007 01:43:03 | More by altgeeky1
smurphy77

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

This beer might be a best-in-class beer it's so good. It's really an exceptional IPA.

The beer poured a golden color with a medium-sized head that stuck around for awhile before dissipating. The aromas were succulent fresh hops and perhaps a hint of apples. Lovely, bright hop aromas were really perfectly balanced and not at all overpowering, portending the taste to come.

The taste of this beer was textbook IPA. You taste the smell, you taste the bitterness, you taste the freshness. The vortex of hoppiness swirls over the tongue in such a clean, crisp, refreshing way that could just never get old.

Lucky enough to find a sixer of this at bevmo in san jose for 6.99. What a deal. Too bad I'm only here for a week.

12-10-2007 01:35:26 | More by smurphy77
mj71

Maryland

4.7/5  rDev +9.3%

A: Poured a two-fingered very white head that dissipated semi-quickly. Deep golden color with a hint of red and cloudiness.

S: This may be the best smelling brew I've ever experienced. Now I get what the hop-heads crave. Very fresh, very pungent hop scent.

T: Solid malt balance completely quashes the hop bite until well into the sip. Slight fruity characteristic detected, but I'm a little congested, so I may be missing some of the more subtle flavors.

M: Thick, creamy mouth-feel. Extremely smooth.

D: Certainly a beer to be savored. High ABV and lingering hoppy taste encourage a slow pace.

I tend to shy away from most Hop Monsters like this one because they're just bitter, bitter, bitter. I decided to give this a shot because of Todd Alström's review. What a great decision. Just wish it wasn't $14 a six-pack in my neck of the woods.

12-08-2007 23:03:32 | More by mj71
Lupe

4.47/5  rDev +4%

Golden orange in color with a foamy off white head of a cappuccino, that leaves some lace and has some staying power.

Big citrusy and piney hop aroma - perfume like. A bit of spice as well, and a touch of toasted malt and fruitiness makes for a very aromatic beer.

Hop flavors are definitely the main attraction. First soft and floral before getting more aggressive and citrusy. Finally shows all it's muscle with a heavy dose of resiny piney goodness. This is one hoppy beer, but does not fry the palate as I had expected. A nice amount of toasted grain and sweet malt flavors are melded well with the hops. Finishes dry and puckering. Great complex flavors.

Medium in body with a silky smooth mouthfeel and slightly creamy. Good drinkability for the style, but I can't see have more than two of these before needing a break. Alcohol stays well hidden.

I don't know if it was from all of the hops in this, but I was so relaxed after finishing a bottle. Great beer.

12-06-2007 03:03:56 | More by Lupe
Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.