Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
4.53/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours ever-so-slightly cloudy gold-bronze with a tight, bubbly, off-white foam that clings desperately to the sides of the glass.

Let's be honest. You bought this for the hops, and that's what you get in the nose. There might be some barley buried deep within, but what you smell is hop, pure and simple, in all its rich, bold, resiny, citrusy, floral goodness. There aren't any adjectives that haven't been used - it's just straight hop aroma and no apologies.

In the mouth, it's pretty medium, with a moderate carbonation that releases more and more hop onto the palate. There's a mineral bite in the back adding to the nose, as well as a wash of heavily hop-seasoned barley bread. Alcohol is surprisingly restrained, and the bitterness is pretty friendly for a brew with this IBU level. The finish is leafy and pleasant, inviting another sip.

You wouldn't want to drink a lot of these in a row, but you might be tempted if you're feeling in the mood for a nice cool carbonated spiked hop tea. This is a hard IIPA/DIPA to beat.

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%

A hazy copper color with a finger and a half of white head super sticky lacing

S its.the grapefruit that keeps you coming back super floral just a great west coast ops nose

T massive tropical fruit right up front the bitterness remains in check the malt is there but they just let the hops shine

M medium body that drinks light but is still sticky

D a classic superb example of the style perhaps a little better in the bottle but still great

3.9/5  rDev -9.3%

A: Light yellow, quite clear, huge lingering head with lots of lacing. Almost no visible carbonation.

S: A strong and complex mixture of hops and some spice. Really inviting overall.

T: Lots of hop bite, predominantly citrus and resin, some booze is noticeable but hardly at all. Bitterness has great staying power too, which leaves only after another sip. Surprisingly enjoyable.

M: Quite thin and with lower than expected carbonation. This puts the focus more on the awesome hop flavors and makes it more enjoyable overall.

D: Not the most drinkable beer, but far better than expected after reading the bottle. The light body and interesting complexity helps a lot. Still, it is hard to through something back with this much hops and alcohol.

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Enjoyed on 10.10.10 (make a wish...) at JJ Brewsky's in Camarillo, CA. Served in an imperial pint glass.

A: A cloudy orange-yellow, not unlike a heavy cider. Thick and viscous. Barely able to sustain a single-finger head. Good, beefy lacing.

S: Hops well present. Powerful and dry with hints of malt. Smells like it'll be nicely balanced.

T: Well-balanced for an IPA. The finish in the middle of the tongue leaves a wonderful dry, and slightly sweet, malt flavor. Truly thoughtful mixture for a double.

M: Decent, refreshing carbonation on the front and sides of the tongue. Amazing drying finish. Nice, thick & chewy.

D: Great. I could drink this any time, any place.

4.32/5  rDev +0.5%

For the past few years I haven't been able to get myself to like Stone Brewing Co. I'd tried Levitation, Vertical Epic, and the ever popular Arrogant Bastard (and Double Bastard) and just haven't gotten what the fuss was about. None of those beers were particularly bad, but they didn't strike me as being as good as I could have got for the price. However, after putting down a six pack of Ruination this week I'm a believer. Hell, I'm even convinced now that some of the other Stone beers I had could have been past their prime or infected in some way.
Ruination is an excellent example of a west coast style IPA every step of the way. It pours an orange amber with ample foamy head. Smells of evergreen, bitter hops and citrus. Feels great in your mouth, complimentary carbonation, and well masked alcohol. I also highly appreciate the fact that you can get a six pack of ruination fairly readily.

4.14/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass.

Kind of cloudy hazy light golden color.

Nice smell of hops and citrus.

Tastes great lots of hops in the front. Stay with you on the back of your tongue. Very nice.

Kind of light mouthfeel. Very drinkable. I could see myself drinking quite a few.

4.59/5  rDev +6.7%

Stone Brewing Ruination India Pale Ale

Served at 53 degrees Fahrenheit.

Appearance: Amber-red, very small head with some lacing.

Smell: Strong floral and citrus.

Taste: Floral hops, strong citrus, and clove with a tangy bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-heavy and bitter.

Overall:
Tangy bitterness explains it. This is a strong flavored beer with a citrus aftertaste. It is a very nice IPA.

This one damn proud IPA. Where other beers would hide their hops behind sweet malt, Ruination merely doubles up on them. Consider this review an homage to the only IPA to truly get it right.

Nothing subtle going on here. My glass looks and smells like concentrated hop jizz just exploded all over it. I cannot honestly compare this to any sort of wimpy citrus or pine collaboration, it is an aroma all its own, a deep dank tangy bitterness running circles around every other IPA I've ever had.

Like I noted in the scent, there is something truly subterranean about this brew. Maybe I am drinking the product of some inhuman quasi-natural disaster? Perhaps the enlivened root system of an evil pine tree has taken hold of a grapefruit tree buried somewhere deep beneath a Chilean coal mine before it explodes and vaporizes all organic compounds in proximity? If it has, this is the acid rain of that explosion, and it tastes so good!

You know how when you go back in for that last little follow up sip of a beer and it's missing the *pow* that a deeper slug would give you? Yeah, this beer doesn't either. Every little drop is dripping with flavor, tongue-curling flavor.

So easily my favorite DIPA it's not even funny. This hop monster makes Pliny look like it hasn't even earned an I much less a D.

I guess it's true. I'm going nuts. Stone has won my heart. Those insensitive jerks!

(Bomber into snifter; golden orange; seafoam bone head.)

3.82/5  rDev -11.2%

Stone Ruination IPA has a cloudy orange colour. The head is decent but fades fast due to light carbonation. The smell is of citrussy hops (grapefruit) - very nice. This initial taste is of bitter grapefruit hops and fading into an aftertaste that is bitter and tangy.

4.3/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - This beer looks great. It practically glows orange in the light and is very hazy. About a finger of white foamy head forms when pouring, settles down to a nice film that coats the glass with good lacing.

S - Very hoppy, definitely getting strong pine resin smells with small hints of citrus and floral notes, primarily grapefruit. The hops are pretty strong, they smell fantastic.

T - More subdued than I thought, which I found surprising based on the strength of the hops in the smell. The best before date on the bottle is 07/08/10 which I didn't notice before, that is too bad since I suspect it has something to do with the diminished hoppiness.

That being said, the hops are still notable and blend nicely with the notes of grapefruit. The ABV is hidden very well, I don't taste a hint of alcohol despite it being a 7.7%.

M - The mouthfeel on this beer is great, I think that they got the carbonation just right. It has a medium body that is very smooth and feels excellent.

D - Very drinkable. The smoothness and lack of harsh tones means that I would gladly have many of these. That being said, I do believe that as I mentioned earlier my hops probably suffered as a result of being two months past the best before date.

I know that this drink deserves a higher taste rating, but until I get a fresher bottle I have to go with what I tasted, which was a great smooth beer with good tasting hops that tasted a little dated and diminished. I will gladly drink my 3 of these and update my rating later when I find a fresher bottle. Otherwise, solid 4.5's all around.

4.52/5  rDev +5.1%

Holy hops, Batman! That was the expectation with this 100+ IBU touted IPA. What I found was a beer with strong hop presence nicely balanced by malt sweetness, making this a great choice for both hop-heads and non-hopheads alike. A nice consistent head and lacing, along with a pronounced floral nose, makes this a treat for all the senses. To me, what an IPA is all about.

3.37/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter

A: pours a golden color with a tad bit of darker orange. 3 fingers of slightly off-white head with excellent retention and lacing.

S: Not nearly as intense of a smelling beer as I had anticipated. Some grapefruit and floral notes, but not much else.

T: Thankfully, this was way more flavorful than the nose would have let on. Although not as balanced as I would have liked. Some grapefruit and tangerines at the start, but by and large dominated by the bitterness at the finish. I don't bind a nice crisp bitter finish for a beer of this style, but this one was out of proportion and a bit overwhelming in my opinion.

M: Pretty good, though it could use a little less carbonation. Sits on the tongue well.

D: I probably won't have this again. That's not to say that it was terrible, just not nearly as good as other beers of this style.

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%

A- A light yellow color look.

S- Smell of hops with citrus notes

T- Strong Citrus bite of the hops and light malts in the background.

M- Very dry and strong hop present and citrus notes linger through-out the sip.

D- Bold flavors and hop bite in this IPA. This one of my new favorites.

Cheers...

4.47/5  rDev +4%

A- Cloudy golden with a thick off-white head, almost had a green tint as it came out of the bottle, good head retention.

S- Nice mix of hops on this, citrus hops are the dominate smell with a few other hop scents coming in, no malt to be found in the nose.

T- Pine hops hit first with the citrus hops coming out after, lots of bitterness makes for exactly what I desire from a DIPA. Some malt flavor is there but is difficult to note the style as the hops are powerful and demand your full attention when tasting.

M- Medium body and very smooth, not crisp by any means but i would also not consider this to be very "sticky" carbonation is in more of the middle range and works well with the beer.

D- Great beer, more drinkable than it should be, have to make myself not drink it too fast. Alcohol isn't noticeable with such high IBUs, could drink a few of these but a session out of it would make for a short night, this beer is just too drinkable to have more than one at a time.

4.23/5  rDev -1.6%

Nice thick head with lots of bubbles. Its a darker gold but definintly is a clear well brewed beer.

It is one of the most bitter IPA's Ive come across but it had a smoky malty flavor to off set the hops.

Ruination has nice body but the bitterness still jumps at you.

Its a great beer but I prefer Stones normal IPA even though it has less body but it has a crispness Ruination doesnt.

Still highly recommended!

4.82/5  rDev +12.1%

Promising a full out assault on the palate, Stone's Ruination isn't short in the hype department. I was pleased to find this on the shelf (or, more accurately, in the cooler) as part of my haul from Denver. Stone is rapidly developing into my favorite beer on the planet, which kind of sucks as I'm stuck in land locked Kansas and a steady supply of stone just isn't readily available here.

The 22 ounce bottle has some great artwork and a wonderful description on the back. I really like the fact that Stone paints their bottles. I also like the gargoyle motif. I'm doing this one right, pouring it into my snifter. The beer pours a bright amber, like freshly changed fall leaves, with a big bubbly head that slowly dissipates. Pretty decent amount of lacing considering the ABV involved in this beer.

Aroma is wonderful, with a hefty amount of pine and resin. Holy cow. If I was rating this on smell alone it would probably be in the top 5, maybe top 3, of IPAs that I've smelled before.

The first sip gives you an idea of what kind of bitterness you're dealing with, with a searing bitterness that, yes, ruins your tongue. Mouthfeel is sturdy and well constructed, with just enough carbonation to do the trick. It's very sticky, though not syrupy. Again, well done. This is one of the hoppiest beers that I've had in my life, yet it's never overwhelming thanks to the fabulous malt profile. There's an incredible sweetness that comes out as your palate adjusts. It's a neat trick. It's sweet, but not too much so. Kind of tastes like glazed donuts chased by dank pine.

Trying to catalog the hop profile itself is kind of a fool's errand. Aside from the aforementioned pine, there's this thick grass note that comes to the forefront the more you drink it. Surprisingly, the hops aren't as scratchy as I expected them to be, though the dry hopping really takes the beer over the top. I also really like the lingering finish to this beer.

Overall Ruination lives up to it's namesake, and the only complaint I have is that it's not readily available to me here in Kansas. Very solid example of the double IPA style, and yet another in a long line of incredible Stone beers.

4.57/5  rDev +6.3%

12 oz poured into DFH glass.

A - Pale gold with giant head. Great retention.

S - Citrusy and spicy and hoppy. Smells so inviting

T - Kick you in the mouth with hops. They are woody and flowery. My palate is not trained to notice the malt over those hops.

M - For so much flavor it was still smooth. Good carbonation. Did not feel like a large mouthful, and I drank it faster than I drink much less hoppy IPAs.

D - A couple of these and I would be done.

4.3/5  rDev 0%

From the twelve ounce bottle into a standard pint glass
results in a hazy orange with a decent cap of foam that leaves thick lacing as the level drops, just right for an unfiltered IPA.
Aroma of citrus and floral hops upfront with just a hint of bread, letting it warm up and the hops just take over, well that's expected.
Taste is all about the hops, with a nice clean bitterness, some citrus/grapefruit rind on the back, malt is almost undetected unless you count the creamy tight carbonation that balances this fine brew out.
Alcohol is nearly undetectable.
Gimme more please!

4.17/5  rDev -3%

A: This poured golden with a significant, off-white head.
S: Smells like grapefruit. Yum.
T: Citrus hops up front with a refreshing aftertaste. Not as bitter as I expected with 100+ IBU, but bitter nonetheless.
M: Smoother than I expected. Medium-bodied and sticky at times.
D: Drinkable for the IBU rating. The alcohol is almost unnoticeable (then again there isn't too much to begin with).

Anyone who enjoys craft beer should try this ale.

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

Stone Ruination on tap at Bob's Bar in Columbus, Ohio, served in a standard pint glass (too cold).

Appearance: Beautiful pour, hazy orange color, huge head (too big, but delicious anyway). Perfect lacing.

Smell: Bitter! Citrus aromas, hops all around. Some fruitiness.

Taste: Upfront tartness, bitter aftertaste that lingers. Flowery hops, pretty unidimensional but just right.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation. Oily/resiny feel. Medium body, satisfying.

Drinkability: Good but not great. I love Ruination and I love hops, but somehow I get a lil' tired of this one after my first pint. Also, I don't feel like it is big enough for a DIPA. More of a regular West Coast IPA, a la Green Flash.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

bomber poured into tulip sept17 2010

A almost clear golden orange with a stupid amount of bubbles popping up from everywhere moving all the tiny suspended particles around. the large 3 finger head slowly falls to a island leaving a rings of lace on the top half of the glass

S tropical fruits focusing on citrus with plenty of pine and a little toffee and I'm not sure where the booze is hiding

T thank god it tastes like it smells but with a little bread and enough sweet malt to give it a little something to "try" to form a balance but it's clear hops are in charge around here.

M perhaps just a tad bitter? I'm thinking my teeth are missing some enamel after this one, my lips are sticking together a little too and I'm tasting this beer well after I swallow

D sip sip stumble, sinks like a ship and when you consider it's 7.7% you could be in trouble

thanks MasterSki for sending this gem my way, I see why this is ranked as high as it is there's very little to complain about other then the headache I'll have tomorrow

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

Forget the normal reviews. How does stone do this? I love hops but there's something about that grape fruit flavor that often doesn't work for me. No issue here. This is just a master piece. I used to like the bigger malt finishes from say a 90 minute, but this is just perfect.

Thin enough for the bubbles to be seen and oh is this well carbonated. A nice white head that lasts and pours huge. More than enough lacing if that's your thing. Not oily which might make some enjoy the lacing a bit more.

The nose is a blitz of hops. Citirus, grape fruit and just amazing

The taste is just more of the same. I can tell there is some malt in here but hell if I can tell you anything about it. This is hop forward. I recall talking to Greg once at Pazzos in Lexington and he mentioned how this was one of the first double IPAs and how others have gotten bigger with theirs. Yeah this could be just an IPA by some brewers standards (heck it comes off less heavy than stone ipa imo). I think of 90 minute as the standard for double IPAs...this just blows it out of the water.

4.32/5  rDev +0.5%

Ruination. Don't drink this if you're not ready for massive hops. It says so on the back label! Of course this is true most west coast Imperial IPAs.

Hazy, then clearing amber pour with a great head and retention and fine lacing.

An excellent nose full of grapefruit, a little pine, and a little bit of something I just could not identify. Certainly nothing I'd ever smelled in a beer. The smell promised great things.

The taste delivered. Amazing hops and a wide variety of bitter flavors to boot. Of course grapefruit, tangerine, and pine, but then that strong bitterness that is common to many Stone beers. The great thing is this one never becomes too bitter and it never escalates with each sip. As the beer warmed a little malt shone through. Almost like a joke to say "sure we could have balanced it but why bother?"

Good mouthfeel, but I felt a little low on the carbonation. Maybe they got it right though, because if the carbonation were a little stronger the bitter flavors might not be as supple.

Quite drinkable and refreshing. One bomber is enough for me.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Absolutely overwhelming DIPA which, as promised, will destroy your palate. Hops are so aggressive as to be borderline mean, and yet the beer is highly drinkable. Far more so than some of the absurdly hopped concoctions being pumped out of less adept breweries these days.

If you like IPAs/DIPAs, you have to try this. If you're not a hops fan, meanwhile, this is one to steer clear of.

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%

Out of all the Stone beers that ive got this is prob the one im most looking forwards to as its not everyday i get to drink these brews but anyway it pours a beautiful see through tangello hue with really nice carbonation that leaves behind a frothy two finger head with heaps of lacing everywhere,it really does smell as it good as it looks with massive hints of passionfruit,grapefruit,strong pine resin and some peach,it has a nice fullish sticky mouthfeel which really coats the inside of your mouth and leaves you with tastes of pine,passionfruit,lychee,stonefruits and you also get a touch of caramel malts with the hoppy fruit sensation that ends with a nice kick of biterness but not over the top bitterness for a hop head like me which really gives this brew the highest for drinkability because the alcohol is well hidden behind a beautiful taste that is nicely balanced in my mind and by all means this brew will be a staple brew for me im really digging it.

Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.