Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

It's as if the year is 1849 and I have struck gold. Pure, California gold. The Stone Ruination pours an intense burnt orange and gold. It looks like a sunset wearing a lot of bling-bling. The creamy, white head is like the halo atop an angel. The lacing prefers to linger, slithering down the glass at its own pace.
It smells like a supernova of hops. If you inhale too aggressively, you can smell the strong bittering hops. A nice sniff will suffice for getting the full aromatic experience. The hop combination renders the alcohol in the nose somewhat weak, inferior. Columbus and Centennials join forces to create a hop combination to be reckoned with. In the words of Greg Koch, this would be an "angry beer."
As you willingly bring the beer to your mouth, the hops begin their charge. They'll take no prisoners. And don't fight it. If you're prepared for a hoppy experience, then you and Ruination will strike an accord. The citrus hops are outstanding followed by some intense bittering action.
The mouthfeel reveals the softer, more sensitive side to this beer. It's smooth, soft, fluffy, and dare I say caring? For 100+ IBUs the abrasiveness behaves itself.
It's like I'm a freshman in high school all over again, and Ruination is the cool senior boy hitting on me. I wanna get as much of it as I can, but I know I must keep my distance down inside. But indulging in it makes for purely hedonistic adventure.

ajr24, Apr 18, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz. bottle poured to a bright golden orange hue...lighter than I had anticipated. Smell was strong with oranges and pine. Fluffy head that quickly dissipated to a thin veil. The bitter hops overwhelms with the first sip leaving an aftertaste of grapefruit. Almost a resin mouthfeel that sticks in the back of your throat. This is an aftertaste that is not fleeting. That lovely taste hangs out for quite some time, which is a good thing. Overall, a very tasty hop assault.

alkemy, Apr 18, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

22oz This beer has been worked up so much that I am nervous about reviewing it because my expectations are so high. I must put myself "in a state of vulnerable open mindedness, chaotic, confused, vulnerability, to inform myself. Think for yourself." - Timothy Leary

Appearance is a golden orange body. No carbonation bubbles, tall head with good retention.

Heavy hopbomb! Smells of a sweet, bitter intensity that tickles the tiny hairs in my nostrals.

Taste is slippery smooth as it travels across my tongue, until a viper-bite of hops stings the palate and leaves you numb and confused. 100+ IBU's!! What a beautiful flavor! Although, not as intense as the description on the back label makes it out to be. I don't think this is "ruining" my palate as bad as they say it would but it is a bitter sweet symphony. There is a little something in the beer that separates this from another DIPA but I can put my finger on it.

This beer is surprisingly drinkable considering the high IBU's and almost 8% ABV. It does destroy your chances of tasting your next beer fully. Very good! Cheers Stone!

dankbrew21, Apr 18, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

Pretty 12 oz. bottle, into a pint glass.

A: Rich, hazy gold. The head pours a finger and a half and remains for a bit. Very intriguing. Lacing holds extremely well.

S: Hoppy hop oils. Undertone = fruit, malt.

T: Great. A phenomenal taste that starts with a palate punching strong hop and opens up into a faint malt sweetness with faint hints of a citric fruit and some wood. Wow what a hoppy brew. It lingers and haunts on the palate like a welcome pine tree should.

M: Pretty thick, especially for an IPA. Very enjoyable and carbonated well.

D: I could have 3 or maybe 4 but this beer would steam roll me if I tried to session.

This is such a damn good IPA. It doesn't wreak havoc on the palate but that's because it's well balanced. The hops linger. It's crisp. A 6-er is far from cheap but you will be rewarded.

mafiasentinel21, Apr 16, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +4%

I had this at a Stone beer dinner tonight held at the Old Village Post House in Mt. Pleasant, SC. The southeast rep of Stone Brewery, Scott Sheridan attended and told some great stories behind the inception of this brew. The chef paired this beer with a Cheese Plate featuring Fiscalini, Surchoix Gruyere, Smokey Blue, Fig Compote, Candied Walnuts, & Bartlett Pear. IT WAS INCREDIBLE! I highly recommend attending any Stone beer events in your area - most definitely those held at gourmet establishments.

Appearance: Dark Amber with beautiful lacing

Smell: Ocean, Fishy, "the sticky icky"

Taste: Everything an American Double/Imperial IPA should embody. I love this style and this beer is why.

Mouthfeel: fullbodied, dry finish

Drinkability: I'd sip and savor because this is my favorite style beer. Definitely session if you can stand it.

LauraAlberts, Apr 15, 2009
3.73/5  rDev -13.3%

Well, I've had Hopslam and both the DFH 60 & 90 minute IPA's, this could either be my next step into hop head initiation, or something that deters me. Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into my tulip glass.

A - Very nice dark amber with a thick, pillow of bright white foam. Good retention and lacing.

S - Pine, floral, citrus. One of the best hop aromas I've ever had the privilege to smell, with an excellent malty sweet backing.

T - This is where I got kind of disappointed. It's by no means bad, but it's not as complex as I was expecting. Sure, it's got a lot of bitterness and good hop flavor, but it's just so obnoxiously in your face that the rest of the flavors have a tough time getting through. But, it does open up as it warms up. Good bit of grapefruit and smokiness, but it's a tough nugget to crack.

M - The hops leave a slight resiny, tingly feel, but the body is medium weight and the carbonation is good.

D - I seem to have a high tolerance for bitterness, so I could easily finish off the bomber, but the enjoyability declines as the bitterness continues to assault one's palate.

overall - I loved Arrogant Bastard because it doesn't talk bullshit about it being a tasty, complex brew. This one seems to complete its own mission of being an unabashed ode to hops, which I guess isn't a bad thing, it's just not as balanced or as enjoyable as their flagship brew. Whenever I braced myself with other DIPA's for the bitter hop grenade that never came, this is where it all went.

I am, however, finishing (and enjoying) the whole bomber, just out of spite. Once again, take that, Gargoyle dude!

DannyS, Apr 15, 2009
3.55/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

A=Thick plentiful head, nice golden coloring

S=Hoppy bitterness, citrus nosings

T=Hoppy, Hoppy, Hoppy, bitterrr

M=Nice feel smooth, oily

D=If prepared, drinkable, if not no way.

This is the first beer that has been so bitter that I have had a problem wanting to get to the bottom.

jacobseyb, Apr 14, 2009
3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

Number 2 of my Stone IPAs.

This one is not as good as their normal IPA.

Pours a nice copper with a small, lacy white head. Nothing special.

Smells a bit grassy, not the big west coast hops I was expecting, but still nice. Taste is better than smell, lots of citrus, pine, flowery hop flavor, with a real nice clean bitterness. Smooth and creamy, a little thin for a double IPA, but that's okay.
This one is a bit harder to drink, although still very good, but more than one would likely put me on my ass.

Fatduck, Apr 13, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

4/11/09 Review:

A: Radiant amber color that just glows from the bottle and even provides a blinding brightness when poured out. A good amount of white, lacy head forms.

S: HUGE scent of hops. The typical smells associated with hops: tropical fruits, lychee, jackfruit, starfruit... it's all there.

T: I never knew using so much hops could still lead to so many layers and so much complexity. First layer has resounding notes of grapefruit and other citrus, punctured by a strong, aromatic hop note. Peels back to reveal the second layer of slightly smoky fruitiness, like oranges on a grill. Third layer hits back again with a chinese herbal medicine-like hoppiness. Not bad, just different from the first hop note. The bitterness stays with you forever if you don't cleanse your palate.

M: Nicely carbonated with somewhat of a slickness. Hops assault the tongue and leave a numbness afterwards.

D: Here's something to ruminate over. Even one taste can leave you thinking about the complexities for a long time. Great for sipping, but I don't think you can drink all that much before this destroys you and leaves all other foods/drinks unpalatable.

6/3/09 Review (somewhat a different experience than the first time I had it):

A: Deep, hazy gold bordering on amber which creates ruddy hues when held up to light. Extremely sticky, lacy head envelops the side of the glass.

S: Hop City. Huge hop complexity that has lychee and other tropical fruit overtones, with a citrus undertone.

T: Like the name suggests, causes ruination on your taste buds. Gigantic hop, evergreen, floral, and citrus taste. Bitter melon-like bitterness is omnipresent and lasts long after the liquid has been downed. Overall, extremely unique and unlike any other beers I've ever tasted (even this time, it was somewhat different than my previous experience).

M: Juiciness with a powerful sting that numbs the tongue. Bitterness lingers forever, destroying all other flavors and sensations in your mouth until only the numbing intensity remains. If your tongue was ever carpet bombed, this would be the sensation afterwards.

D: Can I just have large quantities of this instead next time I need general anesthesia for dental work? This was mind-blowing in its sheer power. While I wouldn't have this often, I will look forward to every time that I do.

thekanna, Apr 13, 2009
4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

Poured into pint glass and had a small head with a neon amber look to it very nice and inviting lightened up a bit in the light.

The smell is of apricots and hops, nice citrusy fruits and floral bouquet very nice smell. Really a great smell thoroughly enjoyed this beer.

the taste is excellent great smooth hoppy flavor with apricots in back ground. Long lasting bitterness after taste. The mouthfeel is great smooth with a little carbonation medium bodied. I could drink this all night very easy to handle and just down right enjoyable this is probably one of my top 10 especially in the IPA or double ipa style.

BringusKilkenney, Apr 12, 2009
3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

really cloudy mix of brown and amber. sap from a tree. whitish head with good lacing.

wow, hops. the scent is all hop. slightly sour bite in there.

god, I know this is supposed to be hoppy. but ny god, it drowns out all other aspects. barely noticeable aspects of orchard fruits. an absolute hop bomb.

really dry feel, obviously. but not as much as you might expect.

this is liquid hops. I have enough of an understanding of what I like to desire multiple aspects and qualities to a beer. some balance, maybe. and there is no balance here. it is hop, straight up, no exceptions.

cnally, Apr 11, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

The color is a slightly cloudy yellowish gold with a white foamy head.

The smell has a strong hop flavor, some citrus and alot of piny hop flavor.

The taste is a bit strong. A surprise a bit to the taste buds. The hops slide over the tongue and really kicks with spicy hope feel. Some citrus flavor in the background as well.

The flavor comes right to the front. Like most Stone beers you can not ignore the taste of their beers. IMO the straight forward strong flavor of the beer looses a slight degree of drinkability. It ends up being worth the trade off. The pallete does take a second to get used to the hop explosion but once it's up to speed, you enjoy it all the more.

Duhast500, Apr 11, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -8.1%

Ruination IPA is definetly another american tribute to hops.

pour is an orangey golden tone quite transparent with a light tan head that dissipated fairly quickly and leaves poor lacing.

Smell is definetly the best part- a combination of orange with perhaps some celery, some sort of a tangy feel back there.

but the taste is overwhelmingly bitter, however there is a citrusy tangy feel at first- sort of like drinking an overhopped tripel, which for me is nice, because i love tripels and am starting to appreciate hops.

but still, couldn't take too many of these at a time. nice beer, nonetheless.

Andreji, Apr 11, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -16.3%

10oz serving at Union Jacks.

A- Nice burnt orange with golden spots and a thin white head always on top. The foam also had some legs and sticked leaving a mess on the glass. Some slow rising bubbles while a bit cloudy looking through the glass.

S- Ruination woke me up. Big scents of strong hops from top to bottom. More on the bitter side with not alot of backlay from any malts, (Is there any here?) Reminds me of a triple IPA. Some citrus with the usual characters. Any alcohol is soaked up by the hop punch to the nose.

T- And another punch to the whole palette in general. The hops open like a flood gate rushing and somewhat ruining any senses. Bitter pine sap with an intense way about itself. Some relief from the malt 1/2 way in this serving. Would like more deep citrus flavor.

M- It just explodes, the hops rule, there is no turning back. A medium bodied mouth with a whole lot of bitter bite. Some malty sweet spots here and there with carbonation. This one is a monster and kills.

D- Bring water. 10oz was good enough for me. I could not imagine polishing off a bomber of this. Small sips were needed as I got through this. Not my favorite but far from the worst. I knew what I was getting myself into, which is key when ordering this one.

BARFLYB, Apr 11, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +4%

A: Lighter gold, straw-like color. Head was as close to white as possible.

S: Smell is orange zest up front, with some biscuit-like malts and a bit of pine as well.

T: Taste is pretty much on point with the orange zest and pine. The hops overpower the malts, obviously intentionally, but there are some biscuit/bready malts that attempt to cut into the hoppy bitterness.

M: Great; syrupy and sticky, lasts a bit longer than the beer itself. Excellent carbonation.

D: Given the abv, I could drink this all night long.

aglose45, Apr 10, 2009
4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured a very light golden sunshine color with a small head that refused to give way the whole glass. Smells of grapefruit foremost, with pines and sea water following. Taste is just plain bitter. Mouthfeel is full and just the right carbonation. I could drink this all night, ABV is pretty reasonable for a DIPA.

merryjoulton, Apr 10, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A- A nice gold color with a small short head
S- Hops, hops, hops
T- The hop monster. Drink one of these and go back to a beer you thought was strong and your opinion might change. A remarkable hop flavor
M- A very nice blend of hops and bitterness. Leaves a good tingle in your mouth
D- I would love to drink a few of these but this beer is not for the light hearted

sjclay00, Apr 10, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured into a pint glass, the color is a golden orange with a small white head. There is a good amount of lacing on the side of the glass. Smells of grapefruit, floral, pine. Not as bitter as I thought it would be. Hops and grapefruit hit me the most when drinking. Good amount of combination. I really enjoyed this one; could definitely see myself drinking more than one.

BigBoochDaddy, Apr 09, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +4%

Bottle Pours an orange gold with a big off white head. The head produces very nice lacing. Has a wonderful hoppy aroma of grasses, citrus and pine. Has good mouthfeel and perfect carbination. Good bitterness and a nice aftertaste. This is a good one.

Birdiebeagle, Apr 07, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

One of my all-time favorite beers. This tasting report is from a 22oz bomber, poured into an imperial pint glass:

The beer pours an orange/amber hue, dense enough to have solid color at the center of the glass but not as deep as a red ale. Decent head, about two fingers, somewhat frothy and leaves a lot of lacing on the glass as it goes down.

Smell is amazing. Candied citrus and floral notes, hops that smell like ginger.

Taste follows the smell. Very crisp and smooth. Hoppy, but not bitter. I know the IBU's on this beer are very high, but honestly Guiness will curl my tongue before the Ruination does. I suppose if I had three bombers that hops would certainly pile up, but at two or three pints the yeast and sweet notes balance the hops very nicely.

Speaking of which, drinkability is excellent as long as I'm not having more than a couple of pints an hour. More than that and the hops do start to pile up and "turn" the beer for me.

LieutenantWort, Apr 07, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -4%

I poured a bomber into my pint glass and it produced a two finger white head that settled to a thick lace. The body of the brew was a clear golden-orange in color.

Huge aromas of hop's floral and citrusy fill your head. The flavor is hugely piney and bitter citrus. This one is oily and slick feeling in the mouth. It really is hoppy but it is drinkable.

I easily put away the bomber I don't know if I could drink more than one at a time but I suppose it would be great with buffalo wings.

joepais, Apr 05, 2009
3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

OK, I'll admit it, I didn't have high hopes going into this one...I'm yet to develop my Stone palate, if there is such a thing, but keeping in respect with the style and the brewery, here goes...

This beer pours a very beautiful orange color - not too clear, but not very dense either - it looks extremely appetizing, with an slightly off-white head that rises just over the brew - some decent lacing as well. It smells of pine, other citrus, and wood cleaner all mixed into one - still surprisingly good. What I really like about this Stone brew, as opposed to the standard IPA, is that it waits a moment for the bitterness to kick in - it lets you enjoy the citrus, hops, and especially the grapefruit before kicking your ass with the bitterness. I have to say that I'm actually enjoying it. The lingering mouthfeel, however, doesn't appeal to me all that much - bitter stickiness on both sides of the mouth and with the high carbonation makes it a little much to handle.

All in all, one of my better liked Stone brews, with plenty of positives, and only minor imperfections.

raoulduke37, Apr 05, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

The first time I tried the ruination the bottle was more than a year old and let be honest the hops faded a bit.

so now, I had a fresh bottle in my hand and I said let's drink it, even if I'm stuck with a cold.

Golden amber orangish in color, my glass the head let iself die very quickly leaving just an oily lace, while the other glass there was an indeed very nice head.

smell is bitter, hops, hops and more hops, citrus, piney, pinneapples and a tiny hint of caramel.

Taste is a nice kick in the face, the bitterness hits you right away followed by the citrus, piney aromas of the hops, not shy in mouth, no bitterness aftertaste, just a sweet like malty flavor that comes in and seems to balance everything out.

3Vandoo, Apr 04, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -4%

A-Deep reddish-copper amber w/great lacing and frothy off-white head, nice retention, and good lacing.

S-Fresh malt, floral hops, hops, and more hops. Lots of resiny pine notes, citrus, and a bit of mineral.

T&M-Nice fresh malt backbone despite the bold hops. Resiny mouthfeel complements prickly carbonation and moderate body.

D-Excellent drinkability. The light nature means teh alcohol is deceptively well-hidden. The taste is also extremely clean, as I find to be a common feature w/Stone. The water they use is high-quality.

BoitSansSoif, Apr 04, 2009
3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

So here's the thing with this one. I tried a Ruination shortly after I began reading BA (I wasn't a member yet) and I thought I could handle it. I knew I wanted to like it--people seemed to love it. I just couldn't do it though. Ended up being a drain pour for me (sadly). After letting my palate mature a little more, I'm excited for this one.
Poured from a bomber into one of my favorite glasses.

A- Looks like a solid IPA-- Golden-orange with about an inch and a half of foamy head. Good retention. Laces nicely.

S- Lots of hops--mainly grapefruit and pine notes. Strong and delicious. A little malt background, but faint. I could smell it as soon as I opened the bottle.

T- Good, but not necessarily as good as I wanted it to be. The aroma hops in the nose give way to a blast of bittering hops (I guess I should expect this from 100+ IBUs). Slightly puckering in the beginning, but better as I go along. Lightly roasted malt in the background but very faint. I can't believe how much more drinkable this is to me now than it was when I started craft beer-ing. Leaves a piney aftertaste, slightly dry.

M- Medium to light bodied, a little creamy. Not bad for an IPA.

D- I could have the whole bomber, sure (this time around!), but I couldn't have much more of it. I'm kind of afraid my poop is going to smell like Pine-Sol tomorrow...

All in all, a good beer. Not so sure I'm a huge fan of the hop profile--I tend to like a little sweeter IPA. Definitely one to remember though.

LordAdmNelson, Apr 03, 2009
Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.