Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

pDev: 10%
Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
DackAchan

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

A- Pours a nice amber gold with a thick head that really sticks to the glass as it dissapates.

S- A very distinct powerful hops aroma.

T- This is where this beer really shines. I was surprised by the first sip. I expected a bitter beer and wasn't sure what kind of flavor it would have. It is a complex taste that stimulates the entire palate. While it is a bitter beer, the bitterness is realitively mild, the hops taste is perfect and there is a slight hint of citrus. An excellent beer for anyone who likes their beer slightly bitter.

M- Excellent mouthfeel. Starts off smooth and develops well leaving a nice little bite at the end.

D- Decent drinkablility, higher than average alcohol content and the residual bitterness takes it down a little but it is definately a good beer.

11-08-2007 14:02:43 | More by DackAchan
MobBarley

Oregon

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

I finally stumbled across a source for this legendary brew in our area and am pleased that it lives up to the hype. It's mellow golden color lulls the victim into thoughtful repose, its nose a stark and mysterious, sharp one. The taste is as one would expect...a razor thin foundation of malt only serving as a launching point for the hoppy pyrotechnics. The flavor is complex and satisfying, but the medicinal quality of the hop oils in this one make the mouthfeel my favorite aspect. This heavy dose of lupulin also leads to the one less than awesome facet of this beer experience. The drinkability suffers, in my case, because great care is required to avoid the spins and drowsiness and thus it is, as we say, a "sipper". But...I've got time. Top notch beer.

11-07-2007 07:32:24 | More by MobBarley
dedrinker

Kansas

3.98/5  rDev -7.4%

My favorite Stone beer. Especially when you live on the east coast and manage to get a bottle that is just two weeks old. Medium Amber color with a thin white head. Nose of bitter citrus oils and sweet malt. Medium body with a sticky, lush malt feeling sliding over my tongue, delivering a blast of grapefruit hop flavor that I can feel on the sides of my tongue. The finish is like a glass of grapefruit juice without as much acidity.

11-05-2007 04:26:20 | More by dedrinker
paskinsj

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

most IPA's I didn't care for too much but, this is not for the faint of heart. This beer is in class about the rest with the hops aroma hitting you the moment the bottle is opened. you could not get more if you were in the barrel of hops them selves.

Will always recommend.

11-04-2007 01:39:20 | More by paskinsj
bobbyc881

South Carolina

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

Not much to say after 979 people have already said something about it. Pours out slightly hazy, light amber. Medium head. Piney hop aromas. Taste is utter bitterness, held barely in check by a slightly sweet malt core -- just enough to let you know this beer has some punch. Amazingly drinkable for 7.7 ABV and this many IBUs. The tongue hurts but wants some more. Fine example of a DIPA.

11-03-2007 02:12:50 | More by bobbyc881
BigJTrucker

Oregon

4.47/5  rDev +4%

Pours a apricot color, foamy white head settles fairly quickly. Smells very citrusy sweet , surprisingly not overly bitter aroma. Taste is absolutely amazing. A fairly well balanced DIPA. A nice bit of citrus bitterness, and just enough malty sweetness to keep it from being too overwhelming. Smooth, slightly oily, and very long moist finish. A very drinkable beer.

10-28-2007 08:01:48 | More by BigJTrucker
thisisbigrob

Kentucky

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

12 oz. bottle poured into an oversized wine glass.

A: Golden with a slight burnt-orange tint. Minimal white head that disappeared quickly.

S: The high ABV is apparent just from the smell. Citrousy and tangy.

T: Bitter but not overly so. Not much malt sweetness evident. The alcohol is noticeable.

M: Lighter than I would have imagined, but makes sense without the syrupy sweetness a lot of beers use to balance the hops. Carbonation was a little on the light side, which was a good thing.

D: High ABV keeps it to a single serving per session, but slowly sipping on one of these will certainly make for a good night.

I'll keep this beer in mind if I ever see it on tap somewhere, but I personally prefer the hops I love to be better balanced with malt. I'd recommend this to anyone who likes the hops to dominate, as this certainly had everything else going good for it.

10-27-2007 22:50:40 | More by thisisbigrob
wspscott

Kentucky

3.63/5  rDev -15.6%

12oz bottle in Sam Adams glass

A: Huge white fluffy head, leaves a ton of lace. The color was much lighter than I expected, a light gold color.
S: A hint of sweetness with a ton of citrusy hops
T: Mostly bitterness, doesn't come across as very complex. A hint of malt comes though to try to balance things out.
M: This is not a thin/watery beer. There is an oily feel, not unpleasant but there.
D: This is a good IPA but I like others better. Glad to try it and would pick up more if the price was right.

10-25-2007 00:00:58 | More by wspscott
HombreWing

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

I don't consider this a Double IPA ...My opinion

Eyes: Deep hazy gold to orange ...head leaves faster than I thought it would....but I do prefer the lighter coloured IPA's which this is.

Nose: Piney...some minty-ness...a mild vegetal aroma

Tongue: Bitterness that says I can last a journey....some malt that comes out after it breathes a little...again some vegetal...more than likely from so much hops... the green parts of course.

Texture: Medium bodied...enhanced by hop oils

Mouth-happiness: It's IPA ..the kind to eat with spicy food....or the kind to drink all afternoon.

10-22-2007 02:53:29 | More by HombreWing
scoobybrew

Indiana

4.47/5  rDev +4%

This was poured from the bottle into a snifter-like 'Piraat' glass.

A - clear dark gold/light amber color with a decent head that settles, but is retained well enough considering the amount of alcohol

S - Strong hop scent: citrusy, pineapple-like American hop quality; malt in the background; as it warms the wonderful hop scent really comes out stronger and more dominant

T - strong hop flavor but a solid malt backbone; very clean in the sense that I don't get a whole lot of yeast character and in this aspect it's somewhat lager-like, but not entirely; I've always been impressed (and intrigued) with how 'clean' Stone's ales are

M - medium body with moderate carbonation

D - This is a fantastic double IPA, another great Stone beer, it's a classic

10-21-2007 22:41:09 | More by scoobybrew
dnichols

Washington

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

I shared a capped 22 ounce bottle with imacoug at the Tony Roma's restaurant bar in Richland, WA.

A: It poured a bright strawberry blond (gold with an amber hue) with a moderate sticky head, mild carbonation and lacing that followed the brew through the bulk of the session.

S: It had a very distinct and earthy and spicy hop aroma that was tempered by an under current of sweet malts.

T: There was an initial semi sweet profile on the front end of the sip followed immediately by a bold but not obnoxious bitter profile that lasted until I swallowed. I enjoyed the tangy citrusy flavors (lemon and yellow grapefruit) and spicy peppers. The taste of this brew follows the nose providing a nice rounded experience.

M: It had a classic IPA hop bitterness that permeated my mouth with each sip. This medium bodied brew did not have a hop profile that lingered leaving an aggresively bitter or sour aftertaste. I was pleased at how clean and refreshed my mouth was after each sip.

D: A bit to bitter for my taste but for an IPA this is undoubtedly a brew that I could enjoy over and over during a long session. I would prefer letting it breath and drinking it very cold.

Comment: I am not a hop head yet I enjoyed this brew. I was especially surprised to read on the bottle that it was rated by the brewer at 100 IBU (normally about 40 IBU tops my taste tolerance). The excellent balance and ABV of 7.7% made this among the finest IPAs I have experienced recently. I might not seek it out but I definitely will never turn it away.

10-21-2007 03:48:27 | More by dnichols
sleazo

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

I lived in San Diego for 2.5 years and I finally review this in NY?
Oh well.

A-Beautiful burnt amber haze. A fluffy two fingered head sits nicely atop the brew with Peter North like staying power. Lacing is impressive to say the least. Rings cling to the sides of my stange.

S_A real nice caramel sweetness offsets the brash piney and grapefruity abrasive hop scent. Vague hints of alcohol are the only thing keepig this from a 5.

T-The initial hint of sweetness is combatted by a brash in your face pine/grapefruit scented hop taste. There is a balance of taste here that is excellent. The aftertaste leaves a resinous hop bitterness that one would want in their 2xIPA. The grapefruit zest is evident clearly throughout. the alcohol does peek through a bit when you belch.

M-Medium bodied but with that good resinous hop feel to the aftertaste

D-This definitely leans to the hop side of the fence but there is a good balance from the malt. This is a good hop bomb, and a bomb I wish was dropped in NYC more often. I think this is also a beer that can usse a bit of time to get some of the harshness out. Newer bottles tend to be a bit harsh.

10-21-2007 03:13:47 | More by sleazo
Tolann

Colorado

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

High expectations for this beer, and I'd have to say it's pretty good. Maybe not quite up to all the hype, but still very enjoyable. I'd order it again. This review was enjoyed in a typical pint glass.

A - golden reddish. a lil cloudy. few bubbles. Nice head that hangs around. some lacing
S - floral hops, slightly sweet.
T - orange citrus, hoppy and sweet. not too harsh
M - well-rounded, and smooth. bitter on the back of your tongue. Medium body; not too heavy, but not lively either.
D - quite nice. For some reason its giving me a wheat beer feel. It must be the orange I'm picking up. The hops are real nice.

10-20-2007 14:49:30 | More by Tolann
BeerSox

12oz bottle into nonic.

One doesn't need to be beer savvy to know that this one is going to be an aggressiver beer. Just looking at the label gives enough clues to figure it out. The gargoyle from your nightmares made it onto the bottle of your beer, and now you're going to drink it.

The beer itself is honey-amber in color with a light haze. A one finger khaki head slowly settles to a thin rim, leaving a solid coating along the glass. The lacing sticks pretty well to the glass. It's a characteristic of hoppy beers, they just create great lacing.

The aroma explodes with cascade hop aroma that mimics concentrated grapefruit juice. There is a bit of spice in there as well giving it a little zip. Not much of the malt makes it through, and the alcohol aromas don't fare too either.

This is the first IPA this strong I have had in a long time, and the bitterness took me by surprise. Very sharp hop flavor (again, grapefruit) pretty much summarizes the beginning. As the hops fade some of the malt slowly emerges, giving a very sweet grain flavor. Mixed in there is a little bit of citrusy zest. Lots of body (full bodied) with the right amount of carbonation, keeping it from being flat without the fizz. The grain fades quicker than the hops, which linger for a while after each sip.

I would say this one lived up to the hype. It's not for everybody, considering how bitter it is, but if that's what you're looking for, this is a great one to try. It's bitter but still allows for complexity. Careful with the amount of alcohol though, it can sneak up on you. Recommended.

10-20-2007 03:57:32 | More by BeerSox
arizcards

Arizona

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

Review 10-20-07
Picked up a bomber from Sprouts back in May. It has been awhile since i sipped on one and reviewed this.

A - Beer poured an amber orange with a nice tall white head that is sustaining nicely. 4.5
S - The nose is quite pleasant, nothing but floral hops. 4.5
T - Taste is quite the same, a hop bomb thru and thru, citrus notes and pine resin overwhelming the palate. 4.5
M - Mouthfeel is medium to heavy bodied, well carbonated, and it glides nicely across the palate. 4.5.
O - Drinkability is perfect. The abv is not overwhelming like some of the malt bombs that are out there. It is a near perfect example of the double ipa style. 5.0.

Re-Review 1-22-12. Purchased 11-23-11 from Total Wine for $3.49. Best by 12.28.11. Been in the beer fridge since the purchase.
A - Beer poured orange with a nice white head that dissapated quickly. 4.0.
S - Nose is a truckload of citrus hops. 4.0
T - Hops are definitely forward, citrus and pine dominate. Malt is definitely there but the hops win in the end. 4.5.
M - This is a full bodied brew, very chewy and satisfying with each sip. 4.5.
O - Overall this is a fantastic brew, one to seek out if you are a hophead!

10-20-2007 01:04:14 | More by arizcards
hustlesworth

4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

A- 1 1/2in creamy soapy yellowish head over a nice opaque orange apricot honey colored brew, sheets of drippy lace

S- creamy cake batter and sweet tropical fruit, just like stone IPA, starfruit, guava, banana, mango, yeast, creamy caramel, chocolate covered marshmallow, toffee, whole cream

T- bitter up front, where the regular IPA was bitter-creamy-sweet, this is just an all out bitter onslaught right from the start. coarse leafy herbal hops take over the field but after a while let out some subtle creamy citrus flavors, pineapple, cashews, grains, wood, pine sap, meat, toasted malt, with a resinous finish.

MF- coarse and violent, in a good way. not soft and luxuriant like her little sister, this bitch says "like it or die". and she's right. puckering and mealy, a little powdery, with a subdued creaminess.

D- intense. full of character. hoppy. awesome. but due to its intensity, this will remain a special treat.

10-19-2007 17:05:32 | More by hustlesworth
mnstorm99

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

22oz. bomber thanks to younger35
Apperance is a nice golden orange color with a nice head that lacks a little bit of lacing for the style.
Aroma is of orange citrus from the hops with a nice malty backbone.
Taste is much of the same except now along with the nice orange flavors the hops (magnum) give it a nice spicy tinge to it.
I could definatly have a few of these, if Stone ever came to Minny, this one could be a mainstay in the fridge. This (as far as I know) is the first beer I have tried with Magnum hops and it took a few sips to warm up, but when those flavors came through, wow they were good.

10-19-2007 12:03:18 | More by mnstorm99
buffettfan

Arizona

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

Poued from 22oz bottle into a glass. First apperance is great! A dark golden amber, with a thick off white head, that seemed to last for ever. Aroma was a spicey hop, slight citrus. Taste was amazing. Lots of hops! I loved it. I had wished I bought me! A very easy drinking IPA. Finished very smooth. THis is amoung my new favorites!

10-18-2007 13:11:03 | More by buffettfan
walshclimb

Nevada

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

Pours slightly cloudy pale golden with 1/2" white head that leaves decent lace. Aroma of pine and citrus hops and bready malt. The smell is surprisingly earthy to musty with a hint of soap. The taste is moderately bitter with good hop balance and a medium to long-lived bitter aftertaste. THe mouthfeel is medium bodied with a creamy texture, moderate carbonation and a slightly astringent finish. I was a little surprised by this one. I had high expectations, considering I loved their 10-year, and I really like their IPA. The smell is a little too earthy. The taste is good, and I might buy it again, but it is definitely not my favorite double IPA.

10-16-2007 16:35:17 | More by walshclimb
Homerbag

Wisconsin

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured into an ovesize wine glass, golden with finger thick head.
Smells of an IPA, nice floaral, grapefruitlike hops fill the nose.
Solid drinking DIPA. It does not have the hop attack that a Midwestern DIPA has, but it hits the back of the tounge with a pleasant grapefruity citruis hop character that is about as good as I've had.
Feels good on the palate, everything is proper and it compliments my Asian food that I had on the second filling of the glass.
A very good brew.

10-12-2007 23:23:36 | More by Homerbag
RunawayJim

Rhode Island

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a snifter. Beer pours a nice slightly cloudy amber color with about a 2 finger head. Smells of piney, citrusy hops, but it's not overwhelming. Some slight malt scents noticed as well.

Flavor is fantastic. This is a nice smooth very drinkable Double IPA. The taste is mostly of those piney citrus hops, but it's well balanced with the malt sweetness, caramel malts perhaps? The beer is moderately carbonated and doesn't feel heavy like some bigger beers do.

All in all, this is an absolutely wonderful double IPA. It is perhaps the most drinkable double IPA I have had and is now on my favorites list.

10-12-2007 03:01:38 | More by RunawayJim
bunnyhustle

3.9/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured from bomber into pint glass. Probably could have done with a better glass but that was all that was available. Vibrant golden color, clear, with "average" head and good retention. Very impressive lace left behind as the glass goes down. Smell is a bit week in my opinoin. Of course it is of hops but I think that theres almost too much going on here and it really distracts from anything particular. Taste is good. Not as bitter as I expected but strong hops tastes, some malt but mainly the hops. Somewhat bitter aftertaste with a touch of grapefruit, leaves a dry feeling. Good carbonation leaves it light and crisp and pretty drinkable beer. Has a nice kick too it, although while drinking I really didnt notice the alcohol after the bomber you're left with that warm feeling.

10-11-2007 03:59:44 | More by bunnyhustle
pwoods

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

22oz. Bomber from Party Source poured into a snifter. No dating.

A: Pours a nice hazy apricot that I love so much. 1 1/2 finger froathy head hangs out in the snifter for a bit before dieing down. Only slight patchy lacing.

S: Right when you pop the cap you know you're in for a treat. Big piney hops. Just a little bit of citrus alongside a touch of malt sweetness. Malts only adding sweetness. After a couple sips and further warming, I get some Phenols in the background reminding me to sip.

T/M: Pow, right in the kissuh(lol). I wanted hops and I got 'em. Very bitter with twang of grapefruit. Malts slide in to balance things perfectly. Nice subtle sweetness. Body is closer to a single IPA which I think is perfect for this beer. First sip lets you know this'll be dry and it doesn't come up short.

D: I could drink this brew day and night. Would /really/ like to try it on tap.

10-09-2007 01:47:38 | More by pwoods
rxdrewthejew

4.13/5  rDev -4%

Love stone, found this at Beverages and More and had to give it a try. My first DIPA too. Ah the memories.

A: A moderate amber, nice color, somewhat hazy. Very thin white head.

S: Nothing stood out to me. But my nose doesn't work.

T: Quite bitter with extremely grapefruit hops. The flavor is excellent, well balanced with the malt. Lots of citrus hops.

MF: Masks the alcohol quite well. Very light and crisp, and a nice grapefruit aftertaste.

O: I do love Stone. The caption on the bottle cracks me up. This beer is well put together, but still makes a bit of a statement. Very drinkable, I highly recommend it.

10-07-2007 06:49:21 | More by rxdrewthejew
Brad007

Vermont

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

Pours a nice pale color with a thick, frothy head (much better pour too!). Aroma is grassy and floral upfront with grapefruit in the nose. I can tell this will be one hell of a hoppy beer! Taste is malty at first and then very citrusy and floral in the middle, towards the back of the throat.This beer feels pretty well-balanced when compared to a few other Imperial IPAs I have had.

There's just enough hoppiness but not enough to overwhelm the palate. The grapefruit/citrus flavor is what I look for in an IIPA and this is no exception. Lots of lacing left behind in the glass.

10-07-2007 00:32:03 | More by Brad007
Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.