Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

Been wanting to try this IPA ever since I saw it...let's go

(a) Pours a thick cloudy caramel color. Since its not filtered i expected this...but this is very reminicent of pouring the double bastard...just looks dangerous! Great amount of head, good inch and a half and heavy lacing. (4/5)

(s) hop Hop HOP!! Great smell, you can almost taste the bitterness. Strong floral aromas, just how it should be for an extreme IPA. (4.5/5)

(t) Perfect. Everything I want in an IPA. Sweet and light on the tongue and then the bitterness hits you. Give me more! (5/5)

(m) For an extreme beer you would think only one aspect of your palete gets laid out...but this brew takes care of the job front to back. Amazing. (5/5)

(d) As far as drinkability goes, when compared to other IPA's this beer is very drinkable, but only when I'm just setting my sights on drinking. Definetly not something to be paired with food...unless you want everything to taste like this beer...which I guess is pefectly ok! Other beer companys make a few great brews...but Stone has yet to throw anything my way that I didnt like. Spend the $ and try this beer! (4/5)

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

This may be the best IPA you can get. Yes, it does not have the hype or notoriety of other beers but it's among the best.

Poured a 22oz bomber bottle into to a snifter glass. Pours a nice bright orange color with a nice lacey head. The smell is but a glimpse of the bold and bitter hops that exist in the taste. One of the hoppiest beers out there and it does not disappoint. It has an excellent crisp finish and goes great with spicy foods. A can't miss IPA.

4.43/5  rDev +3%

I will preface this by saying(though I'm new to BA) that I am something of an IPA fanatic and I have tried about 100 different types in the past year. That being said, I found this to be an excellent IPA. The nose was classic hop-ey, citrus, pine. The taste was very crisp and bitter, and the finish was dry. I would almost consider this a regular IPA instead of a double because it is so dry. For me this is a very smooth drinking IPA. My only real complaint is the price. Overall this is a top notch IPA in my book.

4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

Several tastings over the past few years and especially a 163 park ave house favorite.

Im a fan of the IPAs, fan of hops, lots of hops, but I have a notable opinion on this beer: the only beer that feels overwhelming with the hops.

verry verry hoppy and bitter. Citrusy hints, grapefruit and pines are all there. Enjoyable IPA, but be ready for this one, no ordinary Imperial IPA. Thats the only place where I knock this beer, and its hard to do, but drinkability was not excellent, just good. Overall a beer in its own category, enjoyed it.

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

Let's take a trip down memory lane. A year ago I was a college lad, starting to develop my beer tastes. I knew what styles and qualities I liked, but didn't know much about particular beers. I saw a bottle of Ruination and was enchanted by the foreboding bottle and description. My erstwhile companion and great BA boatshoes, far more knowledgeable than I, told me it was one of the best in the category. I was expecting an assault from hop heaven. When it was finally time to drink the damn thing, I ended up disappointed. It was okay, but wasn't nearly as bitter as I'd hoped it would be. I felt jilted.

Today I'm a bonafide hophead, with a far more nuanced palate than I had then. I decided it was high time to give the gargoyle another go. Poured from a bomber into an oversized wine glass.

A: The beer pours a very slightly hazy golden color. The pour creates a soapy, oily head that never fully builds but never vanishes. A bit lighter in color than I like in my DIPAs.

S: Smells like hops thrown fresh into the boil kettle. Leafy, almost flowery, with a strong citrus edge. Dank would be a good descriptor. Excellent.

T: Super powerful, deep bitterness dominates. It's hoppy for sure, with grapefruit dominating. But there's also a root-like astringency that you feel deep in your palate. Alcohol comes out as it warms. Not a lot of malt balance to speak of, which isn't a dealbreaker.

M: Honestly, felt a little thin to me. Oily. The beer coats and clings like crazy, which makes you forget about the thinness up front.

D: Liked it way better this time around, but off the top of my head I can still think of a half dozen DIPAs that I like better. Maybe it's the iconoclast buried inside me. In any event, its a DIPA standard reference, and for at least that reason I know I'll be coming back to it again and again.

4.43/5  rDev +3%

650ml bottle purchased by my girlfriend at Beer World in Largo, Florida. Hazy chrome yellow with a finger of ivory head and blotches of lace all over the snifter. Smell and taste are aromatic pine needles, Clementine peels, white grapefruit, and resinous Centennial hops. Malt profile imparts caramel, molasses cookies, and taffy. Aftertaste is pungent and citric American hops. A biting bitterness lingers for quite some time. The nose is sweeter than I prefer (similar to an Amber Ale), but this is mostly what I want from an IPA. Fruity, resiny, and beautifully bitter. Stone delivers once again!

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured into a New Glarus shaker pint glass. The beer pours a deep gold, really very similar in color to the regular Stone IPA -- probably the palest DIPA I've had. The beer looks thicks, more viscous than the regular Stone IPA. It also pours substantially more hazy -- couldn't see much through this one. Nice head formed with fantastic lacing left behind with each sip.

Smell is all pine and citrus hop. I didn't pick up on any alcohol scents as some others have. A faint whiff of bready malt, but mostly just a good amount of citrus and pine hops -- not a crazy level of hops. Very similar aroma to the regular Stone IPA.

While the aroma wasn't that different, taste is like Stone IPA on steroids. Some good floral, citrus, and piney hops hit you first, followed by the 1-2 blow of strong bready malt and potent, long-lasting bitterness. The bitterness here really is the defining characteristic. Literally an hour and a half after finishing this beer, I could still taste the hop bitterness. Ruination, indeed!

Mouthfeel was appropriately slightly thicker than a regular IPA but not cloying as a barleywine. Nice carbonation. Easy to drink beer, though I'm not sure I'd want a second one on the same night & I'm not sure I'd be able to taste anything less assertive afterwards, but it sure went down easily.

22 oz. bottle

A: Crystal clear, golden hue. No effervescence. Cloudy white fluffy head

S: Hops, bitter citrus

T: Refreshing, dry, bold. ABV well disguised in the flavor. Extremely bitter, yet not astringent. Although the bitterness is more prevalent than I prefer, it is done very well, and gives this beer a distinctive taste.

M: great carbonation. The bitter finish is a bit aggressive, especially in a 7.7% IPA. If it was 10+ %, I might be more receptive to it.

D: A really nice IPA, and a good representation of the style.

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%

A: a great, golden beer with a solid head, only because i went harsh on the poor though.

S: hoppy, piney smell that is delicious.

T: great taste. I get pine and hops mostly. Not over bearing at all.

M: Good, solid mouthfeel.

D:I could see drinking 3 12oz bottles of this, then moving to something more light. Overall this is a fabulous beer. However for the outrageous price of a 22oz around here, I'll stick with a 6 pack of 60 minute ipa.

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

A - pours a beautiful golden/amber with a puffy head which quickly dissolves with lots of lacing

S - wow. absolutely love the smell. super piny/citrusy hops, maybe a little orange or grapefruit type smell in there

T - the taste really catches you off guard. intensely bitter and dry, super hoppy as one would imagine

M - nice carbonation, a little less than i expected, dry and a strong lingering in the back of the mouth

D - although i love just about every aspect of this beer, i couldnt see my self drinking it all night or sessioning more than a couple. it is intense!

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

A - Copper color with a nice looking, huge head. Had to stop my pour and pour a little down the sides. Moderate dissipation with minimal lacing. Nice looking.

S - Pine notes, with a brush of citrus hops and some sweet citrus. Pine comes through, but is not so overpowering as to detract.

T - Fantastic, pine starts out strong but fades into a nice blend of citrus and grassy hops. Bitterness follows on the end, but leaves the mouth feeling refreshed.

M - Solid, light-medium bodied with a nice carbonation kick. Dry finish.

D - Fantastic beer, could drink this a lot, the bitterness of the IPA actually leaves your mouth quenched, and no sweetness to become overbearing with time.

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

A: pours copper/amber with about 2 inches of while head (slight orange hue). sticks to the side of the brussels glass.

S: Not the intense hop aroma I was expecting. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely dominated by earthy, rainy, wet hop smell, but it doesn't smack you in the face. Maybe a little bit or corriander too.

T: Wow, now that's what I'm looking for. Hop flavor is not so much of the sticky, piney, floral type, but more of the true bitter, earthy and dry. Man, the aftertaste is bitter. No real malt profile or character to speak of. Very nice.

M: Carbonation approporiate for the style, if not a little light. Not heavy. Can't really say creamy, but smooth.

D: good, intense version of the style. I could drink a couple of these with ease.

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

Thanks so much Brad, much appreciated! Dark, orange pour, with a large creamy custard head, leaving scads of lacing. Hop-a-saurus aroma, witha syrupy pine and honey side, with some malt to balance out the aromatics. Piney hops fill the mouth, and the receptacle appreciates, bitter as all get out. Bready and sweet bread. Great! My palate hath been ruined due to the massive hopping! Long bitter finish. Greg , you brew good beer! Thanks!

4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

100 IBUs - do I even need to continue?

Stone Cold lock for the best IPA I've had in a while.

Amber color - great mouth feel, excellent bitterness.

The beer is a celebration of hoppiness - they claim to ruin anything that you try to taste after drinking this as it will pale in comparison.

excellent beer for those that like bitterness, IPA, etc...

4.43/5  rDev +3%

Bomber into a Samuel Smith 12 oz. nonic.

Appearance: The funniest thing about Stone is that this brew, aside from the monster head and frothy lacing, doesn't stray too far, if you're talking about the sheer look of the body of the brew, from a BMC brew, and it almost has less carbonation. Something to mention. As said, though, the lacing climbs the glass, and the head never lets the body dominate the look in the glass.

Smell: Raw, earthy, and leafy hops, dominated by rind and citrus. Clean, balanced, pungent, and effervescent, with a bit of sweetness on the nose too, along with the floral underlying bouquet.

Taste: Awesomely balanced with leafy hops, pungent citrus, and sharp fruit esters. Lingering earthy hops, finishing with grapefruit rind. Even though everyone tries to outdo the 100+ IBUs, this is still one of the best balanced brews out there for everyting that it brings to the table.

Mouthfeel: The weirdness of the body, as far as the seemingly lackluster carbonation look, makes this seem like it's out of the bizarro world. Creamy, silky, and altogether smooth. The best thing about this brew.

Drinkability: One of the pioneers, and one that still delivers. Couldn't believe I didn't have a review for this. Not only does it hold up, but it's still a staple. Always something to get in a bomber if available. At least for me.

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Thanks JosephLondon!

Ooooh boy. This is a delight. The bottle is entertainment in itself - explaining that it's called "Ruination" cuz this will ruin your palate due to the 100 IBUs and crazy ammount of hops. Bring it on!

Appearance is LOVELY. Poured it into a Sam Adams "perfect pint" glass. Big 2 fingers of sudsy off-white head. Mostly clear orange-amber, left plenty o' lace.

Open the bottle, and a whiff of hoppy goodness! Mostly sweet citrus and fine florals.

This beverage tastes strongly of hops - citrus, florals, and pines in yo' face. I also got some mild malts, sweet vanilla, and earthy notes. As it warmed the bitterness came out, but not unpleasantly, against delicious orange and lemon notes.

Mouthfeel is very smooth, medium-bodied, slightly oily, and leaves a delicious (bitter) hops residue behind.

Drinkability: I'd love many of these! But 1 22 oz. bottle is plenty, especially with 7.7% ABV. The alcohol is not noticeable in taste. But the brew is delicious and pleasurable. I don't know that my palate is "ruined," more like "delighted." Yes!

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

Ruination poured a golden amber

The nose was an attack of hops, but not a brutal assault. The profile and complexity of it was good, but the strength of the smell was not as potent or ruinous as I was expecting. A potpourri of floral marijuana, straight soap, and grapefruit. As I stuck my nose in further the malt backbone began to come out. Alcohols, toffee, and crispy biscuits kept any sort of balance more as it warmed.

The flavor is excellent, almost like a double IPA with seemingly less soapiness. Mouthwatering citrus, pine resin, grass, sour apple candy, bubblegum, and biscuits and caramel towards the end.

The body was nice and robust with very crisp carbonation. The feel was slimy and chewy, real nice.

It has to be sipped, but the dry finish has a mouthwatering effect that begged rudely for another sip. I can't say it ruined my pallet but it handed out a few good shots to the jaw. Awesome beer.

4.6/5  rDev +7%

This review comes with much anticipation on my part!

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours a light orange/copper color. Crystal clear with a billowy eggshell toned head clinging to the glass.

Scents of sweet malts, piney and citrusy hops, and a heavy fruit aroma form the powerful nose of this brew.

Sweet god of the Humulus lupulus! Thick grapefruity hop syrup goodness is like drinking pine sap. This is a good thing for the hopheads out there. Sweet malty taste with a slightly roasted biscuit taste and an appropriate level of carbonation.

Full-bodied, but not unbearable. To the contrary, this is a very drinkable big-beer.

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

a - hazy light orange color. pours a huge thich head with amazing retention. the appearance makes this beer really inviting.

s - piney citrus aroma with some hints of biscuity malts. the hop characters are out of this world.

t - wow, this brew is filled with so many explosive flavors it is ridiculous. as i sip i notice the big time warming alcohol effect. hops, hops, and more hops.

m - this beer is big and bad, but is nothing that we did'nt already know.

d - just like it says on the bottle, this beer will ruin your palate. my palate does not deserve anything but mc. donalds at this point. umm i want a double cheeseburger.

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

Awesome brew, one of my staples.

Pours a nice bright amber color with a 3 finger off white head. Head dissipates a bit faster than I would have liked, but leaves some nice lacing down the glass.

Smells like hops. pure hops. Awesomeness. Great amounts of pine citrus, and floral notes with just the faintest hint of a sweet malt backbone. Such a great smelling brew.

Taste is also awesome, and follows in the same manner as the aroma. I love the earthy notes in here, they are a bit stronger than the citrus from the hops but the citrus is absolutely present. A bit a an oily character from the hops, not unpleasant at all. Love this beer, wish I could get it for a bit cheaper than the $17 a six pack I bought it for today. I guess that's what two hearted is for.

4.3/5  rDev 0%

Stone IPA poured a very rich golden color, with a perfect head. It had a very strong hoppy smell to it. The taste was very strong, very very hopy. It had a very good taste, but it due to the extreme hopiness it leaves a very strong aftertaste, that may be a little harsh.

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

pours honey golden orange with a 2 finger soapy white head that left notches of lacing

smells like a west coast dipa should piney and citrus hops

taste is very good - with all the hops there is upfront(pine grapefruit floral some tropical) there is also a good deal of malt backbone here semi sweet honey toasted malts - also has a very bitter ash finish

mouthfeel is crisp - stings a little but overall nice

drinkability is good but i dont think i could drink more then a bomber in one sitting

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a wonderful dark amber/orange color. Off-white head sits atop nicely with about 1 finger thickness. Head retention was lacking a bit but I didn't mind that too much as it left me with a nice sticky lace.

Smell... what is their to say about such a wonderful scent? One quick whiff before I even poured the bottle told me I was in for a treat. Of course, being a D.I.P.A. it is most notably hoppy. More specifically the hops provide grassy and piney aromas and a bit of a lingering citrus scent. Other aromas appear to be present but a hard to decipher from everything else.

This being a D.I.P.A., taste is obviously heavy on the hops, but not nearly as harsh or unbalanced as others in the style can be. In fact an initial bready malt can be detected before the hops take your palate hostage. From there on out it is grassy and floraly hop flavors. Bitterness however is not as bad one would expect, perhaps from all the malt needed to reach the ABV.

Quite a full body feel in the mouth and certainly warming from all the alcohol. Leaves you just wanting more and more however with all the "ruinous effects" on your palate, maybe one is enough.

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Stone Ruination IPA. 22oz. bomber. 2010.

Appearance:
Cloudy, pale yellow with a frothy white head. Anemic head retention was a minor disappointment.

Aroma:
Sweet hop oils with a round burst of citrus. Some malt fruitiness.

Taste:
Immediate malt flavors are followed by a prolonged flow of intricate hops. Floral hops are mixed with citrusy and piney flavors. Some earthy tones in the background. Finishes semi-dry.

Mouthfeel & Drinkability:
Perfect level of carbonation for an IPA. Creamy mouthfeel. The hops abound, but work well for me. It's has a bit of a pucker-inducing finish, but the aftertaste is enjoyable even though bitter.

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a Ruination straight-sided pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep, semi-hazy honey-amber color that lights up with honey overtones when held up to the light. Has a smallish two-finger, foamy head that has decent retention and leaves some very sticky lacing on the side of the glass.

Smell: You don't have to try too hard to get a whiff of this one, and I could probably review the scent just fine with it sitting next to my computer. Immediately you know this is going to be a West Coast hop bomb. This just has a huge scent of floral, piney, resinous and citrusy hops that is wonderfully complex and bold without being too overpowering. There are also some traces of sweet malts to be found somewhere behind the enormously diverse plume of hop smells.

Taste: A very smooth DIPA. It starts with a bittering hop sensation before moving onto the citric and primarily grapefruit hop profiles. This one is certainly a hop bomb but the presence of an undercurrent of malts is also detectable and refreshing. For me, though, the taste is not so beautifully woven together as the scent, and I fear this may be because of the age of the bottle I have (it's almost about to be out of date). Nevertheless, if you're a hop head (I am), you will be glad you tried this beer.

Mouthfeel: This is almost as good as a mouthfeel as you will find in a DIPA. It's very thick for the style and nicely carbonated to prevent any cloying from the copious amounts of hops. The bitterness from all the hops lingers around for awhile, maybe a touch too long, but I bet if you had this with a spicy meal, it would be the perfect complement.

Drinkability: This is a pretty drinkable DIPA at only 7.7% ABV, but with the huge hope profile, I think I'll just stick to this one bomber. That's not a knock on the drinkability either, as this is a smooth beer that goes down easily.

Overall, this is a very nice DIPA that goes overboard on the hops, in a good way. If you are a hop head like me, you need to try this beer. The hops might be a bit overpowering in the scent and not as intricately linked as perhaps I would like to see, but again, this may be different with fresher bottles. All in all, though, this is a really interesting and powerful example of the style.

Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.