Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

Now this is a beer!
22 oz. bottle.

The beer pours a little clearer than I expected but a nice golden color. Nice finger width head.

Nice fresh hoppy aroma. The first sip is like a a party in my mouth. Smooth, creamy, great hop taste but not bitter. This beer only got better as I drank it. The second glass was better than the first because it had a chance to warm a little. The bottle recommends that you cellar the beer, but I had mine in the fridge.

I could drink this beer all night, but I would problably end up on the floor if I did. The only drawback, $6.99 for a bottle! Worth it though if you are looking to splurge.

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a clear copper color with a big fluffy white head that has excellent retention. Citrus hop aroma, with hints of pine. Extremely bitter taste with citrus and pine flavors, and a little caramel malt as well. Leaves a very bitter, dry aftertaste. Medium bodied with a fairly strong carbonation. I really enjoyed this, though with the extreme bitterness I wouldn't drink more than one at once.. this is a palate ruiner. A fantastic beer; if you're a hophead, this one's for you!

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Stone: Ruination (Bottled 05/16/10) (Tasted 07/11/10)
12 oz. bottle, poured into a cervoise goblet.

Appearance: Lightly hazed golden amber beer, big creamy bone-white head that leaves some hardcore patches of lace on the sides of the glass and stays intact until the end.
Odor: Big-time C-hop aroma, oily and fresh, featuring sharp pithy grapefruit and tangerine fruitiness.
Consistency: Smack dab in the center of light bodied with a lush, creamy carbonation.
Taste: Bruising grapefruit hop flavor lashes the tongue with a nine-tailed whip that leaves bitter hop resin in searing at the flesh wounds. It amazes me that this beer still registers as being bitter after the numerous IPAs that have gone toe to tongue with my mouth. Malt backbone comes in the form of a semi-solid crackery profile, backed by a light malt sweetness that tries to make headway on the corners of the tongue, but the hops, they do not abide, they tell that sweetness to wait in the car while it handles its business. Clean, crisp finish leaves nothing but bitterness on the palate, alcohol lashes out as well, some pleasant warmth.

This beer is an all out hop assault, with little/no attempt to check the hops with a big malt character and it is exceptional. Clean, crisp and surprisingly drinkable if you enjoy a little hop-abuse.

4.12/5  rDev -4.2%

Pours hazy yellow with a big fluffy white head.

The nose is full of floral, spice, citrus, and pine.

Citrus is up front folowed by a nice floral and pine bit. Tasty and refreshing.

The feel is light, yet full-bodied. Goes well with the style.

I greatly enjoyed this beer, much like the rest of Stone's lineup. Refreshing and full of depth.

4.32/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a nice cloudy/hazy orange color with a clean frothy 1.5 finger head.

Aroma: tropical fruits right off the bat. The big three are mango, pineapple & orange.. A citrus delight. Tropical/fruity goodness :) you also get a wave of that Stone pine aroma. But for the most part the fruits dominate. Almost no booze smell detection. A pleasant smelling brew.

Taste: sweetness upfront. Again you get hit with the same tropical fruits as the nose. Then a GIANT rush of hop bitterness takes over. Oily resin, lots of pine, lots of grapefruit/hoppyness compose the finish. Just what you expect from a Stone double IPA.

Mf is a bit creamy with a medium body. Finishes pretty crisp with a nice hoppy taste lingering on the palate.

For a Stone DIPA, its fairly easy to put down. Has always been one of my favorites..

Cheers!

3.51/5  rDev -18.4%

Stone's Pale Ale is one of my "go to" beers and as I generally prefer IPAs, I expected greatness in this particular offering. Unfortunately, I was disappointed. Maybe it was the strong citrus component of the taste that put me off. I managed to finish-off the six pack but only by drinking one bottle per session and with a meal at that.

A: Pours a frothy head 1" in my tall pilsner glass. Cloudy appearence (not transparent), but the color is golden line the sun on a summer morning.

S: The cascade hops come through with a strong citrus fragrance. Grapefruit, mandarin oranges, floral, and a hint of pine. Oh, yeah...they went there.

T: Very smooth for an IPA of this magnitude. Had it side by side with the Stone IPA (standard), and I found this one to be far smoother. Very balanced taste. Very hoppy, but the malt and alcohol counter the punch.

M: Crisp. This beer feels like a 5% beer in your mouth, but then your body starts to warm from the alcohol.

D: For me, I could not drink more than one due to the overall "size" of this beer (both hops and alcohol), but it is very balanced.

Overall, this IPA is a great example from Stone, but it greatly surpasses the standard Stone IPA with regard to balance. Regardless of what the label says, it is not that hoppy, so don't be afraid. If you see this beer and are in an IPA mood, I highly recommend it.

4.12/5  rDev -4.2%

A - Pours an opaque hazy orange color into my snifter with a nice two-finger thick foamy, milky head with pretty good retention (4)

S - Intense hop aromas on the nose with floral, citrusy and fruity suggestions, grapefruits being the obvious candidate; some grassy hints linger around in the background (4.5)

T - Massive piny hoppiness and some sweetness upfront lifts to reveal pleasantly strong fruity flavors with grapefruits, again, being the most prominent. Malts show up in the middle together with an attack of intense hop bitterness which lasts well into the finish, along with lingering grapefruit flavors (4)

M - Between light and medium bodied thickness with a good level of carbonation and a foamy smooth texture; goes down fairly dry (4)

D - Very good nose and flavors but the bitterness is probably pushing the threshold a little far with 105 IBUs. Otherwise fresh, flavorful and easy drinking; a pity the bitterness is at such an extent and this has definitely detracted the ratings for both taste and drinkability. Definitely not a session nor a starter for someone new to the style. (4)

This is my second Stone Ruination IPA tasting; thanks to Meng, who gave me this bottle after a social tasting session in which someone rejected it flat due to an expectation of what's to come. I am tasting this in a horizontal comparison with 4 other DIPAs and I have to admit that the Ruination way trumps both the DFH 90 and Southern Tier 2XIPA in terms of flavours and nose but the extreme level of bitterness has inevitably took 0.5 off both taste and drinkability. If I am in the mood to go extreme and wreck my palates, I will definitely choose this but more often, I may prefer to go easy. Nonetheless, I will still give credit for the amazing nose and flavors of this great beer.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Appearance: Lighter than i thought it would be but still a darkish yellow-golden color.

Smell: Very hoppy with some nutty backing typical of Stone.

Taste: The first beer i tried of the six i did not particularly like. I gave it another try the next day and was impressed. I think the taste was actually more unique than the Arrogant Bastard. If you think of Double Bastard as a litteral duplication of each to the standard flavors of Arrogant Bastard (nutty and Hoppy) then the Ruination would be a duplication of the hops alone.

Mouth feel: Strong on the front of the tounge but by the time it hits the throat it mellows out.

Drinkability: I will return to this beer on occasion. It is certainly worth drinking.

I loved the IPA so when I hear the Ruination IPA was not only with more hop flavor but at 6.99 a bomber at the Monroeville Giant Eagle it was mine that day.

A - Slight haze amber with incredible head and lacing. Lovely.

S - Big hops smell. Smells of strong pine, citrus and grapefruit. Little or no malt smell to speak of.

T - Very hoppy just not as bitter as the Hop Stoopid which I found to be perfect. Flavors are not only balance but refreshing. Very little malt so you have to be careful of your tolerance to bitter beers which I assume is high for me.

M - The label kind of scared me as a palate ruin but I found it opening my evening last beer to a couple other IPA's.

D - Well if I was in the Monroeville area I would have no problem getting another bomber. They were selling the same bombers at D's for 11 dollars which was ridiculous. For the price defiantly worth the brew.

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

A: light gold with a solid head that leaves a good amount of lacing on the glass.

S: From the moment I opened the bomber, the overwhelming smell of hops enveloped me. Dank resiny and citrusy hops dominate the nose. The grapefruit aroma is particularity pungent. This is a very hoppy brew.

T/M: Immediately upon taking a sip the hops hit like a ton of bricks. Major citrus and pine flavors work over my palate and live a lasting resiny hop bitterness that isn't going away anytime soon. Moderate carbonation with a medium body round this baby out. I cannot pick out any malt flavors- any that are in here are so overwhelmed by the beautiful hop assault that they might as well not exist. This is one fantastically hoppy brew!

D: I say without hesitation that this is one of the best beers I have ever had. If Stone distributed to Missouri I would drink this all the time. Since there is absolutely no balance, I wouldn't recommend it to someone who isn't hop-crazy, but for me this beer is mana from heaven. its fairly low ABV make this one of the more sessionable IIPAs around too. It will destroy your palate though, so I wouldn't try to drink anything after it!

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

My first bottle of this self-proclaimed palate-ruining beer. To be fair, I must disclose that this bottle only has about a month of ideal lifespan left to go, its freshness date is 7/26/2010.

A: Exactly what you'd expect from a DIPA, perhaps with some better filtering than usual. Nice shade of orange with a white head that has great lacing (in fact, if you look straight down into the glass, there's a soapy white haze on top of the beer throughout). Beautiful.

S: Light and citrusy. Missing the big, as my girlfriend angrily calls it, cat piss smell that accompanies a lot of hoppy beers, instead has a nice lemony freshness that makes me wish that Stone was in the car air freshener business as well.

T: Whoa. What I expected to be an overwhelmingly bitter hop bomb ends up tasting somewhere between lemon and grapefruit, a beautiful citrus fruit that exists only in this glass. Just like the magnificent Nugget Nectar from Troegs, this beer has a very juicy hop character that flies in the face of the piney hop flavor that most of us are accustomed to.

M: Dry, like a very nice glass of white wine might be.

D: This beer is extremely sessionable in my opinion, which might end in a baaad night if you don't control yourself. Has a 'yellow Pez' character (what I characterized Citron vodkas as in college) to it that is absolutely irresistible. Instantly one of my favorite DIPAs, it's just a shame about the six-pack price.

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

Great orange pour with a thick, creamy, white head. Hops on the nose. Citrus, grapefruit, orange, pine and floral hop aroma. The taste follows. BIG hop flavor. Citrus, orange and lemon zest, grapefruit, pine and floral hops out front. A small amount of dark fruit and caramel malt give the beer a hidden sweetness, but the hops overpower this before long. Alcohol has a small presence, especially as you get further into the better. This one finishes very bitter as advertised as the pine hops scold the tongue and leave a big dry flavor. Huge tasting double IPA. All about showing off the hops.

4.62/5  rDev +7.4%

A: Pours a glowing, luminescent orange-bronze. The head is fairly tall and has a similar tint, along with a very thick, frothy texture. Retention is quite sturdy, and a full lattice of lacing sticks persistently to the glass.

S: Very little in the way of malt - mostly cookielike pale malt, with a trace of caramel. Hop aromas are big and bright, with pine resin, grapefruit pith, and lemon zest. Also a bit of grassy/herbal character.

T: Some mild cookielike sweetness up front, with light caramel notes. For a purely hop-driven beer, that's a pretty ideal malt presence, since it allows the hop flavors to steal the show. Big, bitter citric notes of grapefruit and lemon, with secondary piney and grassy flavors backing them up. As promised, bitterness is bracing and long-lasting, sticking around long after each sip is swallowed. Alcohol, at 7.7%, is well hidden and a bit sneaky.

M: Medium-full body. Carbonation is medium and appropriate for the style. Smooth and resiny up front. A full, riding bitter dryness into the finish. As mentioned, alcohol is perfectly masked and adds only a subtle warmth.

D: A very nice DIPA from Stone. Certainly hop-dominated, but this demonstrates substantial finesse in a style that, to some, doesn't seem to warrant any. A textbook example of a bitter, aggressively hopped double IPA.

4.32/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The Glen Ellyn Binny's store was selling single 12oz bottles of this stuff for $2.99, so I picked one up.

The beer poured out a medium golden/orange color with a 1 finger white head that stayed around a couple of minutes before fading to a white rim. The beer left tons of lacing on the glass with each sip.

Big citrus hop aroma along with some piny hops as well.

This stuff is delicious. Grapefruit and piny hops dominate as you would expect in a beer with a 105 IBU rating, but despite the overwhelming hop presence, there is enough sweet malt in here to help smooth it out. It would be wrong to say the malt balances the hops because there is just too much hoppiness in here to ever hope to be balanced. but the malt certainly is a welcome addition.

This is smooth with a lighter than expected mouthfeel and with a moderately high carbonation level which keeps it crisp and refreshing. The finish is dry but with a slight lingering bitter aftertaste.

With a 7.7% abv. I was amazed that I couldn't taste the alcohol, but I really couldn't detect it at all. Very easy to drink and I would drink it more often if it wasn't for the $18 a six pack price.

4.77/5  rDev +10.9%

Since most people simply want to know how this beer holds up in comparison to other beers of similar price/style (IPA)..

Stone makes one hell of a beer, and this IPA is no different. It has a dry, but flavorful feel and should be enjoyed slowly. Its heavy, but not too intense, and works great for an intelligent conversation with friends.

Highly recommended

3.89/5  rDev -9.5%

Went and paid my arm and my leg for this brew, meanwhile the local denizens were looking for Victoria, why? This beer is a very pale golden color in my Sam Adams (read that right, love the glass) glassware, and very pale at the bottom of the glass, crystal clear, filtered beer. I wonder, why filter? The Bell's I drank last night was unfiltered, and that definitely adds something, a complexity...anyway, smells great!!! The smell of those citrusy hops knocks you back, I swear I wish they could just bottle those huge Cascade whiffs you get upon first crack of the bottle....mouthfeel was lighter than expected for this style of beer, CA IPA. Let me sum it up by saying Stone is a great brewery in the California high hop style, but out here in Chicagoland, i won't pay premium over SN again, I feel like Torpedo is about on the same level, and Sierra Nevada is the real deal, original homey-feel.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured a 12oz bottle into a chilled pint glass.

It was a hazy pale yellow-orange color that had a 1 finger head that shrunk after awhile, left almost perfect lacing down the glass.

It smells of lemony citrus, just a little piney, and some sweet malt.

It tastes awesome, It hits your mouth and makes your taste buds buzz. Taste is of lemon, pine, and a little malt in the background.

Feels good, not too bubbly, very smooth, gets nice a nd silky as it warms up.

Drinks very well, beer me.

4.16/5  rDev -3.3%

A - pours a light gold with a nice white head
S - very light and bright in the nose, centennial hops (a common hop from Stone) give a lemon rind character
T - extraordinarily bitter @ 105 IBUs
M - wonderful microbubbles surround the tongue
D - yes please.

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

Pours a light orange with a big, frothy head that leaves big lacing. Smell is piney hops. Taste is just right for a DIPA, subtle honey malt note that is quickly overwhelmed by a piney bitter dose of hops that explodes in the mouth. The alcohol is evident and warming, well-integrated. This falls into the "dangerous" category, a very drinkable, tasty, and deceptively light brew that packs a real punch. Beware!

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a light orange honey with a generous foamy white head. This beer leaves traces of outstanding lacing all over the entire glass.

Smells very resinous and intense, i could smell the hops as soon as I opened the bottle and began to pour. I knew what I was in for.

Extremely hop forward, I get sappy pine notes, not much citrus or fruits, but plenty of resinous herbs. Very earthen and rustic taste. Resins of hops and the perfect malt profile give it a slight sweetness.

A perfect body for this beer, medium, with moderate carbonation. On the first taste, I could feel the hops grip my palate and coat my entire mouth. finishes quite dry and bitterness lingers.

The great taste makes it highly drinkable, but I am not even a 1/3rd of the way through it and i can already feel the buzz. Something about stone brews really get me.
Wonderful double IPA, if you're a fan of hops this is a MUST try. Highly recommended.

Enjoy by date of 7/12/10

A: Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass. A nice light coppper color with a nice two finger head and good lacing.

S: The great hop aroma explodes during the pour. No guessing here. The hops take center stage. Great citrus and pine notes.

T: Grapefruit up front followed by citrus, pine and a small amount of sweetness from the malts. The aftertaste is a nice grimacing hop bitterness.

M: Nicely carbonated with a slick oily resiny feel.

D: I'm good with one of these, but I wouldn't have a problem drinking a few either. This might be the strongest beer I've had for straight up hop bitterness. Welll done Stone.

4.54/5  rDev +5.6%

355ml brown bottle poured into a Delirium Tremens snifter.

A. Deep yellow in colour with a solid looking white head.

S. Citrus, quite lemony with hints of green apple and tangerine zest. WOW!! what an aroma, I could smell the hoppiness erupting out of the bottle from around a foot away from my nose, mindblowing.

T. Charcoal notes, brutally hoppy and mouth coating. Excellent.

M. Slightly carbonated

D. I immediately fell in love with this beer so much that I ordered another couple of bottles. I am not a fan of IPA'S but I have been somewhat converted through this beer. I could happily drink this all night long. A genuine classic. Leaves a nice lacing on the glass.

Had a second tasting of this on 23/08/10 and I got one or two different aromas in this bottle but I think I prefer the strength of the aromas in the first offering yet I found this second bottle to be more to my liking yet strangely I still preferred the first bottle I had. Are you still following??

The aromas in the second one are of cloudy lemonade, not as heavy hops on the nose this time, bready, hints of honey and maybe melon. Also a whiff of vinegar but a positive vinegar scent.

This one tastes slightly salty, bready and a good hoppiness but not as overpowering as my first sample

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%

Just doing some re-reviewing, gotta check on taste and palate changes.

Bomber into Stone IRS snifter produces a body clear gold. Head was two finger as before, somewhat sticky and slowly recedes into a light foam with modest lacing.

Aroma is certainly not lacking in the hop department. For a "fizzy yellow beer" it certainly packs quite a wallop. Sticky pine and resin are quickly noted, with big notes of candied pineapple and sugar crusted grapefruit. The nose is almost as enjoyable as the beer itself; fills the room with all things hops.

First sip assaults the taste buds with pungent hop bitterness up front. The hop bitterness slowly subsides into a modest amount of pine resin, lemon peel and grapefruit. I know I sound like a broken record when I say this, but the hops just don't stop. The hoppiness is prominent throughout the entire session and leaves a nice floral aftertaste to savor before the next sip.

Mouthfeel is good, but just a tad light. It has a nice silkiness, but for a DIPA, it could be better to hold out against the hops.

Drinkability seems better than I remembered. I could hardly finish a bomber a year ago, but now it seems much easier to sip and savor for such a big beer. Big props to Stone for giving this beer a sessionable quality.

---

Reviewed 01/07/2009

4/4.5/4.5/4/4

Poured from bomber into pint glass.

A - Poured a very nice straw amber/orange color with a good two finger head that dissipates rather quickly.

S - Very intense aromas of grapefruit, pine, and HOPS! I could barely keep this thing away from my nose it was so good.

T - The taste of this beer is quite magnificent. Lots of pine and multiple citrus flavors (grapefruit, and a twang of lemon/lime). Not a whole lot malts, this was a very one sided brew. Despite this, it was still very smooth and enjoyable.

M - Good carbonation, just what I expected from this style.

D - Good drinkability, but the high ABV and palate shock after having this beer is staggering. Definitely make this the last thing to drink.

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Appearance - the pour on this beer is just gorgeous. Cloudy, light orange tangerine in color. One finger of white head with great lacing.

Smell - is light and floral. Hops and citrus are pungent. I find myself smashing my facing into my glass because I want to keep smelling it.

Taste - tart, bitter, and sweet in that order bust always in balance. Hops are very aromatic. Very refreshing beer.

Mouthfeel - is very good. Flavors stick to and line your tongue and the roof of you mouth. Carbonation keeps the beer light and prevents bitterness from dominating your palate.

Drinkability - I feel like I could have four more of these. Their smooth and refreshing while still being full bodied and complex.

Most excellent brew!

Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.