Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

a: pours a dense off-white head with quality retention roused by each tilt of the glass, the beer is an amber-golden hay in color

s: boatloads of tropical hops at first whiff...papaya, passionfruit, grapefruit mango...pale caramel malt backbone, honeydew melon, perhaps some mild fir, not terribly complex but a terrific showcase of hops

m: carbonation delicate and on the low side, light-medium body, glides gently and effortlessly across the tongue and down the gullet

t: just delicious, tropical fruit hops upfront with some pine coming out in the end, pale malt sweetness, perfectly bitter at the finish, straightforward deliciousness

d: nearly a 5 and perhaps some future experiments will prove it so, a breeze, will be purchasing more in the near future

this beer reminded me a lot of Two Hearted

single from Whole Foods Reston

blackie, Aug 26, 2008
4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

(Before I get into this, it is possible that this was a less than perfect sample. It may have been on a shelf for longer than one would hope.)

A - Golden, slightly cloudy with a great head and long lasting lacing.

S - Slightly fruity hops, woody, sweet.

T - This beer was not as hoppy as expected. The malts and sweet alcohol dominate. Deep maltiness with hints of woodiness and honey, sweet floral aromatic, followed by slightly spicy, rindy citrus hops. The hops come out more in the finish, with a lingering bitterness on your tongue.

This is a delicious and highly drinkable beer, but not the powerhouse I expected. I enjoyed this IPA and was pleasantly surprised by how it kept some of the better characteristics of a double IPA in a toned down version.

Bottom line: Skip the shpiel on the back and enjoy this moderately hoppy and delicious IPA!

Ryanbob, Aug 26, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

Oh, Ruination... If you like IPA's (and doubles), you've probably already had this stuff. What can I say that hasn't already been posted by everyone here -- Stone makes some of the best west-coast IPA's there are. Ruination is no joke -- read the label, it tells you where the name came from and it's right on. You are hit with one of the hoppiest, most grapefruity tastes in the world of IPAs as soon as this hits your palate. The aromas coming out of it are unreal. One of the more drinkable doubles out there as <8%, and won't knock you over like a DFH 90min will. It's a heavy citrus-y smell and taste, and literally a double-IPA defined imho. Pour it into a snifter or goblet and just take in the aromas and enjoy it slowly at first, you will fall in love. As usual, great job Stone.

chuckd123, Aug 25, 2008
4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Light orange color with a nice sticky head considering the abv. Carmel malts are followed by a strong rush of floral hops. Nice gradual hop bitterness that is tasted long into the aftertaste. Strong hops as expected but also balanced nicely for an IIPA. Excellent! I don't think Stone ever disappoints.

changeup45, Aug 24, 2008
4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

This one pours a orangish yellow with a white head that fades fast but leaves lacing. Smells sweet and hoppy, some malt characters. The flavor is very similar, lots of sweet flavor, good hop balance. Not as potent of a hop flavor as I thought, but still flavorful and full. A good balance, medium light body, great mouthfeel. This one is a good beer, easy drinker, higher ABV then normal. Another great beer from Stone.

wingman14, Aug 23, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

One of the most beautiful looking beers I've seen. Crystalline orange-yellow with continuous streams of fine bubbles and a pillowy, clinging head. This is all about the piney hops -- lots on the nose, lots on the tongue. This sits on top of the classic "solid malt backbone." Finishes sharp and crisp, with a lingering warming sensation.

Flyer, Aug 20, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +7%

I go the Growler at Hopcat in Grand Rapids. They have had this on tap for the last few weeks.

A: Great lacing with a thin white head (due to my pouring abilities) translucent golden straw color

S: Hops, Hops and more hops slightly citrus with just a slight carmel aroma.

T: Starts as a clean pale ale, then with seconds the hops start to to come in with a citrus bitter bite that carries through that beer to finish and leaves a wonderful after taste

M: Great carbonation and great bite of the hop bitterness

D: I love this beer, but it will kill your taste for anything else that you will drink for the day.

Roeters, Aug 20, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +5.8%

Pours a rich yellow-amber color with a nice white head. It's definitely not as dark as I thought it would be. The nose is absolutely incredible: heavy on the pine, very floral, and very perfume-like. Other notes come through as well...things like grass and lemon peel (strong). The taste is fucking ridiculous as well. Holy shit! It's wonderfully hoppy and bitter, but like everything Stone does, it is perfectly balanced and so damn smooth. One aspect of the beer doesn't overpower any other aspect, and that is what makes the Ruination so unbelievable. As for drinkability, it has one of the widest ranges of settings I can think of, and with a 7.7% abv, it's possible to drink more of this than other equally as rich tasting beers that can be in the 10%+ range. It could go well in just about any situation.

Awesome beer...I could drink this everyday.

Douglas14, Aug 20, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Bomber!! High degree of anticipation for this baby. I suspect it will be a great end to a long day.

Poured into my trusty Stone pint glass. Less head than expected, but I may have poured too gingerly out of nervousness in the presence of a killer. **Note: second pour produced the head I expected. Foggy orange caramel color. Seems clear at the bottom and hazy upwards.

I smell a fresh cut lawn. Or lemon. Or grapefruit. Ok, I don't friggin know but its something fresh cut. I love the scent.

Taste is Bang! Zoom!...To the moon Alice! This sumbitch will make you pucker. A happy yum-yum kind of pucker. Proudly proclaiming 100+ IBUs. Well 200 IBUs would be 100+. Wonderfully bitter. Even the burps smell good. And bitter. I take a sip and think the bitterness has subsided so I take another sip and realize oh hell no it hasn't.

Drinkability? I just don't know. I love the taste and keep sipping away relentlessly. I could probably sip on this all night. I wonder how many bombers I could take down. I would probably stand up, beat my chest, and boast about drinking six of them, then finish one and a half. No, two, because I'd sooner die than waste some of this shit.

Overall: awesome

PatronWizard, Aug 19, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

From the beginning this brew seduces me with its alluring honey color. It pours nicely as most Stone brews do and the generous head laces well. On the nose is a strong but not sharp floral hops and grapefruit. Medium bodied and great mouthfeel. Great flavors of fresh hops, apricot, hints of pineapple. Uncommonly smooth for an IPA and appropriately dry. Classic, challenging, impressive and true to both brewery and breed.

thekevlarkid, Aug 19, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle purchased at Derby Street Liquors, Hingham MA.

Appearance: Opaque amber. Very thick head. Nice lacing.

Smell: Exceptional. Very citrusy, like a fresh cut lemon. Bright and unbelievably inviting.

Taste: Citrus dominates, like drinking a beer made with lemonade instead of water. Nice earthy hops aftertaste is reminiscent of resh lemon zest. Bitterness of 100+ IBUs is well hidden in this pleasant tasting IPA.

Mouthfeel: Slightly creamy, smooth and even.

Drinkability: This is still my favorite IPA to date. Stop reading this review and go open a bottle!

drinksandeats, Aug 13, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +3%

This beer pours a nice light clousy amber with a half a finder white head. The smell is beautiful! You can smell the hops along with the toasted malts as well as some citrusy smells. For such a high IBU beer this is VERY smooth. The mixture of the citrusy hops flavor and the toasted malts flavor are beutifully balanced. The mouthfeel is nice a slight, I just ate grapefruit aftertaste but a VERY smooth beer for such a high IBU rating. I am certain I could polish off a couple of these in a night but I would have to mix and match them with something sweet. A beautiful beer YUM!

Biggness, Aug 13, 2008
4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured into a snifter, a hazy orange color with a 1/4 inch of foam and light lacing. An excellent color for DIPA, and something to be marveled. The smell is out of this world. Citrus fruits, orange and lemon at the front, followed by some grapefruit, a ton of piney resin, and a nice alcoholic note. The aroma of this bad boy is PERFECT. Taste is hops and more hops. Big, juicy, and extremely bitter. It's like chewing on a bitter orange peel followed by a grapefruit rind. Pine sap takes third place, followed by a short-lived malt sweetness that pops it's head in, and is quickly chopped off by the hops. Mouthfeel is slick, medium to full-bodied, and nice amount of carbonation. Very oily from the hops, but only adds to the hop flavor. It's blistering on the tongue. While the ABV is not outrageous, it can be felt in the nice warming in the mouth and throat. This, mixed with numbing affect of the hops, keeps drinkability low, but worth savoring.

I sometimes dislike it when a DIPA is all hops and no malt. This one definitely has that aura about, but that's what the brewers were going for. It's unbalanced for my personal taste, but it's a hop-head's wet-dream. I enjoyed it greatly, but prefer their standard IPA.

KeefD, Aug 13, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

A - Light orange with 2 fingers of white head that leave sticky lacing everywhere.

S - Hoppy with resiny pine, oily grapefruit, sticky citrus and a touch of pineapple. Some caramel malt is noticeable.

T - Juicy, floral, grapefruit and piney hops with some caramel malt sweetness for balance.

M - Medium body, creamy but slightly sticky with a dry lingering hop finish.

D - Balanced which makes it easy to have more than one but it does hold true to its name and ruin your palette with all the sticky hops.

brewcrew76, Aug 13, 2008
4.93/5  rDev +14.7%

Received this bottle from wagevolks on a trade.

Stone Ruination pours from one of the coolest looking labeled bottles with lots to read.
The body is orange hued with a white head leaving good lacing.

Smells are citrus hop in the grapefruit variety with good maltiness as well.

The first sip allows the malt to say hi then the hops go to work creating a wave of flavor. Lots of grapefruit on the palate. Wow. A great beer. The mouthfeel is just about perfect as well with steady carbonation that isn't too much.

I can't wait to get this regularly in NC.

rtratzlaff, Aug 12, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +7%

Got this monster as an extra from Jeager-thanks bro!
Fairly vigorous pour into my Surly pint glass shows a hazy, light amber ale with a creamy off-white head. The head slowly goes away, but not totally.
Smells...wow. Just wow. I could smell this beast after I set the bottle down, 3 feet away! Strong grapefruit, citrus scents tell me that this is going to be one hell of a beer!
Tastes exactly how it smells. Those hops really come at you full force, but not so much to overwhealm. Very nice malt backbone here as well, balances out the hops well, or as well as can be expected for an Imperial.
Mouthfeel is just swimming in juicy, sticky, resiny hops, with nice sweet malts. Loving this one..
Ruination has scary drinkability for it's style..I have to pace myself with this badboy, or it could catch up to me quickly! Hope that Casanova's has some of this as I head east to Eau Claire in a couple of weeks. Great, great beer.

Packforever1976, Aug 12, 2008
4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

Stone has a great line of products that I am only starting to unmask.

The Ruination IPA says that it will destroy your palate, but I think that it is about perfect for an IPA and I have had many that did much more damage.

My Ruination was poured into a Trappist Ale Goblet and pours as expected and produced a great frothy head that slowly dissapated as I drank this wonderful beer.

The smell is that of pine resin and earthy malt.

The taste was just like the smell, but with a strong hop bite that would not let go. This must be the ruination they fortold. Despite the strong hop bite this beer begs you back sip after sip until you find yourself asking how it could evaporate so quickly.

My only disappointment is that it was gone soon, but luckily the buddy who's house I was at had another one and we devoured it next!

PerzentRizen, Aug 12, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

I remember having this one many years ago, before IPA was all the rage, before I really had an appreciation for hops and just drank ambers, browns, and reds. I hated it. I also hated the arrogant bastard and figured Stone just made beers to piss people off.

But now I'm a bit of a hop head so I thought it might be worth a second try.

Then I read the back - here's a small section from the lengthy prose: "By the time you develop a taste for this beer, you may find that you are permanently ruined from being able to enjoy lesser brews. Good." Well, the time has come.

Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into the stone ruination IPA pint glass that I've had for about 8 years. I always enjoy a beer in the proper vessel. "I am very bitter. And I LIKE it!" it states on the back.

Hazy golden yellow color with good head, retention, and lacing. It continues to maintain a thin film of bubbles on the top.

Aroma is rich in citrus fruity hops.

Taste is exceptionally hoppy and bitter... and I like it! It's not balanced, it's not subtle, and it's not appologetic.

Mouthfeel is good for an imperial IPA and drinkability is what it is at almost 8% ABV and over 100 IBUs.

I'm really glad I came back to this one. I realize now that I was too young and immature to appreciate what Stone was doing. I would say they pioneered the "extreme brew" movement that we enjoy today and I thank them for it!

GilGarp, Aug 08, 2008
4.13/5  rDev -4%

A. Poured a light cloudy orange. This one had a thin white head that settled down to a thin halo. Nice lacing as the foam sticks to the glass quite well.

S. The scent is of piny hop and citrus taste. It has some definite bready/biscuit scent as well.

T. Fruity hops are at the front then the piney hops give a bitter taste. Some bready yeast taste as well as a slight sweet malt taste. I could use a little more malt balance.

M. This one was very creamy and a bit oily. Light carbonation and pretty easy going down.

D. This is a pretty good DIPA. Stone doesn't disappoint at all. It could use a little more balance overall but that's being nitpicky on a very solid beer. Wish I could get more of this in Louisiana.

ShrLSU, Aug 07, 2008
4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

Appearance - Looks like a good one. A very hazy orange gold color with a foamy clumpy white head. Generous amount of the head hangs around on top the rest of the way through.

Smell - Very citrusy, but a lot more malty than I expected. Hops are piney, yet very smooth and somewhat oily.

Taste & Mouthfeel - Crisp bite but not overly harsh. It's paired with just enough smoothness to give it balance in the mouth. A little bitter bite comes through in the end due to the hop bitterness. The malt creaminess really gives this beer it's identity. Stone did a great job blending it together with the hops. Citrus melon flavor with a gentle breadiness adds to the overall experience.

Drinkability - Stone really doesn't make a beer I don't like, and this was another winner from Cal. A wonderful job of not letting the hops kill the palate with the blend of sweet malts and bready notes. A great experience!

ryrust5301, Aug 07, 2008
4.13/5  rDev -4%

Poured into a pint glass.
A. Pours a copperish orange with lots of carbonation racing up to a thick soapy head. There is an orange glow that surrounds this beer that gives the head an orangish tint. Great sticky lacing at the pour and some left clinging after every drink.

S. The aroma of piney/citrusy hops in abundance upfront. You can detect the bitterness within the aroma. Citrusy as in grapefruit rind and piney as a fragrance of a ripe pine cone. The malts are present as well but not so much as a balance. Sugary bicuits.

T. Hops, bitter and resinous dominate the flavor. Bitter pine with a touch of citrus. Citrusy grapefruit with a touch of floral lemon. Caramel bicuity malts are of a light backbone. This beer finishes bitter and sweet.

M. The mouthfeel is creamy and oily. Bitter and warm with alcohol.

D. Drinkability is great if you are a hophead. Easy to drink and bursting with hops every drink. Once you have your first one, it will be all that you crave for the rest of the night.

oneeye, Aug 05, 2008
4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

Leave it to Stone to take it over the top and do is successfully. What a fabulous Imperial IPA. Aroma is hops of course, but there are hop aromas of pine, citrus, flowers, and fruit. I can hold the glass about 8" from my nose and still detect the aroma, it makes the hair on my arm stand up. Pours a great gold hue with lots of thick white head that creates a decent amount of lacing. Great mouthfeel, surprisingly full and creamy. Flavor is jam packed with hops which wasn't a surprise. Fortunately you can also enjoy a good amount of malts. What is truly spectacular is that although it bites you right away the incredible amount of hops actually blend well and fade into a nice smoooth finish. I'm sure that I shouldn't be talking very close to anybody right now but this one works well. 100+ IBU's is crazy and for this beer to mesh and work out as great as it does deserves a round of applause.

kinger, Aug 05, 2008
3.63/5  rDev -15.6%

Wow! Talk about a beer that is appropriately named!

A: Poured nicely with a 1.5" head. Light orange, cloudy color and leaves nice lacing.

SM: Total hops and citrus, fruity and alcohol.

M: Light to medium body, very quick finish. The quick finish gives it a dryness.

T: BIG HOPS flavor! Spicy on front of tongue at first, citrus-orange/lemon zest, then bitter finish.

D: Big, Bold and Bad! And as much as I like hoppy beers, this one was a little too much with no balance with the malts, probably as the brewer intended. It's straight up a hop-head's beer. I do think it would go well with a spicy meal though as the hops would complement such a dish well.

Also, about the name... forget tasting other beers after this one! Your palate will be Ruined.

BeachBumC, Aug 05, 2008
4.3/5  rDev 0%

A: Cloudy orange with a 1/2 inch head that dissipates quickly but leaves some very nice lacing

S: spicy and piney in the nose

T: Aggressively hoppy up front with an oily and resinous hop flavour. slight alcohol warmth comes through with some sweet maltiness. the hops finish with some high fruity notes and some bitterness dwindles on the aftertaste

M: Beautiful creamy medium body gives something to hold up the huge flavours of this beer. Soft and smooth to balance out the cutting hops.

D: This bomber will be enough for me at 7.7%. a beer to savour and sip for sure.

mike24, Aug 05, 2008
4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

A: Dark-peach color, with hazy golden edges. Thick, white foamy head, lacing down the glass.

S: Strong hop smell. Very earthy, slighty floral. With strong hop smells, I always sense a smell of spearmint, which I definitely get with this one.

T: Talk about a beer that attacks your entire mouth. One sip gave a full on attack on my tongue, throat, and nostrils. Obviously very hoppy, but the hops flavors are definitely layered. I get a little leafy taste, a little astringency, and I can tell this is a little on the heavy alcohol side. The hop flavor in the aftertaste is nice, and it definitely leaves a taste of alcohol on the palate.

M: Good body, a little slick on the tongue.

D: This IPA punches you in the face. So, one bomber of these is plenty. But, a great imperial IPA and a nice treat here and there. It does have a refreshing quality to it.

Beefeater57, Aug 03, 2008
Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.