Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros

Poured from a 22-ounce bomber into a Ro's pint glass.

A: Poured a vibrant golden orange color with a chilled haze and a thick two-finger head of dense white foam. Carbonation was lively and the lacing left was ample.

S: Smells of toasted grain and a lot of resinous hop oil aromas: hop leaf, grass, grapefruit and clove.

T: Taste reveals a quick hit of sweet toffee malts at first, but its just a flash in the pan. The real flavor pours hop resins all over the palate in a puckering manner. Big time herbal and lemongrass hop flavors combine with a bit of white pepper, coriander and spiciness. The burn tastes so good.

M: Mouthfeel is full bodied and oily, but citrus flavors thrown by the hop makeup with some sweet, lighter sips.

D: Start and end with Ruination, and you won't have a problem, besides a splitting headache the next day, probably accompanied by heartburn. A really nice DIPA for the hop fan, and a nice high ABV to keep it fresh tasting off the shelf, which it certainly is. Palate shot. Thanks, Stone!

Gambrinus1184, Oct 11, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from a 22oz bottle.

A- Pours a semi-hazy deep copper orange color. Good sized 1 1/2 finger fuffly cloudy white head. Leaves nice sticky lacing on the sides of glass....I mean lacing is everywhere with this beer.

S- This is all hops everywhere in the nose. Big upfront of sweet citrus (pineapple, grapefruit, orange) hops with a piney/floral hop hint to it as well. Sweet malts make up the backbone of this beer and are present in faint clashing with the hops. Vey hop forward to say the least.

T- Big bitter hop bite right off the bat on this beer. This leads to a citrusy hop kiss right afte that with pineapple and grapefruit highlights in there. Middle of the beer is where all the sweet caramel malts in the nose of the beer come into play. Nice malty balance on this keeps it from being just a overly hopped beer for the sake of hops. Don't get me wrong I like hoppy beers too. Clean citrusy/light bitter ending on this beer makes it for a complete and balanced beer. Very tasty!

M-Medium mouthfeel. Very crisp and clean feeling in the mouth. Carbonation is good and helps glide the hop bomb across the palate leaving hop resin over everything you could think of. NIce clean bitter/citrus hop combo on the aftertaste wanting you to go back for some more. Very nice to say the least.

D- This is a highly drinkable beer that I would recommend to someone who wants to take the hop plunge but wants something that is not going to wreck it for them. I only wish I could drink more than two bombers of this before going onto something else. I mean I could drink it all night but who wants to stay with one beer?

alleykatking, Oct 08, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a beautiful mix of golden brown and yellow straw. Small head that fades. Heavy lacing, and a beautiful aromatic nose of hops. Definitely drink this in a snifter.

The taste, is intense. Very balanced hops, not too piney. A really fantastic DIPA.

The mouthfeel is great: syrupy, thick, but never excessive.

The intense tastes makes it a little less drinkable than, say, an equally ABVd beer (like Founders Centenial) but for an DIPA, very drinkable.

rickmick, Oct 08, 2009
4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

Appearance - Pours into my SA perfect pint a light hazy orange leaving about an inch and a half of thick head which leaves great lacing.

Smell - Smells of bitter hops, some pine, grapefruit, then the sweetness/maltiness comes through. Very pleasant. Not overly floral - a nice balance.

Taste - Tastes similar to how it smells. Begins with a smack of hoppy bitterness which lends itself to a nice grapefruit peel that then ends with a thicker, malty taste. Honestly, I was expecting it to be bitter the whole way through but it had a nice malt back to it (maybe this sat on the shelf for a while and mellowed a bit? I keep hearing about how the hops destroy your mouth and I did not get that feeling).

Mouthfeel - Light to moderate thickness. Not overly carbonated but just enough

Drinkability - This was the first drink of the night and it was a bit tough to finish it but only because I was so incredibly full from eating fondue. Overall I was impressed and look forward to getting some fresher bottles soon.

SpdKilz, Oct 06, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

Consumed on 9/29/2009 on tap at Stone. The beer is copperish orange with a fluffy white head. Retention and lacing are both decent, and that's all I'm going to say on the subject.

The beer was served ice cold. It seriously seemed like it was in the low thirties. I couldn't smell anything for nearly 25 minutes. If there's some point in serving a craft beer that cold, I'm missing it. At about the 30 minute mark the nose opens up and reveals orange pith, pine, and grapefruit. It's all very dry, and malt imparts a low level of caramel. Tropical notes become apparent with further warming.

The beer is very dry with an upper moderate level of bitterness. It tastes of bitter grapefruit, orange pith, and pine resin. Caramel notes are quickly overrun by the delicious hops. The finish is very, very dry.

HopHead84, Oct 06, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

Man O Man this is good!

Poured a light bronze with a thick creamy white head. Head hangs around for quite some time before receding to thin clumpy bubbles and a thick ring around the glass.

Smells of hops, hops, and more hops. Floral, citrus and pine. A woody barley tries to poke through. Also I'm getting a bit of the booze.

Taste is actually well balanced for a beer this hoppy. I expected by the 100+ IBUs, that I would be making a pucker face after the first swig. Flavor is all over. Grapefruit, pine, sweet grain (pretty bready), pineapple... some others in there too, one I can't put my finger on. Oh, this is good!

Mouthfeel is good. Carbonation is perfect for this style.

Drinkability is frighteningly good for this style. I could drink quite a few of these bombers in one sitting.

Not sure that this is a beer to drink on a regular basis. This is a beer to get for those times when you need a hop fix. Like the label says, I think my pallet is ruined for trying anything else tonight. I'm actually new to the hop bus, but I now understand why these beers are so popular. Thank you Stone! This one is amazing!

ditch, Oct 05, 2009

This is the IPA that got me into IPAs. Simply put. I haven't had this beer in well over a year, and in that time, I have had dozens and dozens of stellar IPAs. Lets see if it is as good as I remember.

A: Pours a cloudy golden color. Head is not very large, but lacing is very nice.

S/T: Smells very hoppy and citrusy. A touch of pine in there as well as some grassyness. Taste is actually very well balanced and not overpowering at all. I get a lot of citrus fruit upfront. Lots of lemon and orange. Not as piney as I would like. There is an almost mint leaf like quality in there. Malt is right behind the hops and give off a strong bready flavor. Overall, a solid IPA, but far from the best of the best.

M/D: Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Finishes dry with some lingering bitterness. Drinks like an IPA should. Not overpowering and the dryness makes you go for another sip.

I am admittedly not a huge Stone fan as I find their beers very one-noted and simply lacking. This is one of their better efforts, however. Very nice hop flavoring with a nice balance make this a very good IPA. Not as good as I remember it, but still a nice IPA I would revisit in the future.

OldSchoolGamer, Oct 04, 2009
4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

A lucid, dazzling orange that is blindingly bright when held into the light. Whether it's a naturally occurring haze or those florid rays that bewilder the eyes, one or the other is preventing me from seeing my finger on the other side. Its surface is bundled up with a thin but bubbly strip of white twine.

Chinook and Centennial hops make for a heavenly scented balm. We've since seen this again and again with American IPAs (and DIPAs) but Ruination may have been the first and the one that continues to most clearly illustrate it. Its perfumy solution combines festering, candied and ethanol-soaked citrus fruits and tickles the nose like a feather.

Dissecting these hops turns up flavours of spiked coconut milk, candied pink grapefruit and bubble-gum wrapped tangerine wedges. The flavour is fresh, fruity, floral and lively - like a citrus fruit salad infused with crushed mint leaves, roasted pine nuts and drizzled in honey.

The malts are not entirely inconsequential either. Bready, bakery-fresh muffins and syrup coated pastries make a fairly sturdy base for all this acidic, near-spicy hoppiness. The bitterness isn't crushing, as its name would suggest, it's brisk and snippy and massages the tongue. One thing it isn't is overpowering.

In fact, I'm looking forward to having, not a full bomber, but a full growler of this to drink today. The beer is quenching, its electric blanket-like warming effect notwithstanding. The alcohol is ever-present but fuses well into the acidic citrus. Besides, I'd much rather take the extra percent or two and go with the Ruination over Stone's regular IPA.

Ruination IPA will ruin your chances of ever enjoying an industrially produced lager again. It will ruin your taste for mass-processed beer and even ruin your tolerance for others drinking them. This is a lesson in how beer should be made: with character and with pride. Look at the American micro scene - Ruination IPA has actually built a lot.

biegaman, Oct 04, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -7.4%

Had this one before, but thought it was time to put a review up after getting it again...
Pours a clear marigold color with miniscule bubbles on the sides, minor lacing following down the glass.

Smells of an evergreen forest and a slightly sweet afterthought.

Tastes extremely piney, almost like I have been chewing on a pine tree. Extremely bitter with some two row malt flavor which becomes hardly noticeable with the overpowering flavor from all of the pine hops.

Medium mouthfeel, and a dry afterbite make this drinkable. If you love northern pine, drink away. You may feel like a logger after drinking this one.

alpinebryant, Oct 04, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

I was expecting a brighter taste, but overall not a bad beer. The finish is what one would expect from an IPA, but the mid was a little off as far as I am concerned. This would work well if it had more of an Imperial feel too it. Overall, I would not buy it again, but it was certainlly worth the money to try it.

jd6stringman, Oct 02, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured into a pint glass.

Sunshine orange with a two inch rocky head that dissapates to a half inch frothy white wisp and ample lace.

Smells of juicy ripe citrus fruit, earthy lemon grass and spicey herbs.

Taste is explosive cirtus hops, ripe mellon blended with carapil malts a wonderful blance in the middle and a bitter slick finish with lingering spicey hot pepper.

Love it! Complex, and enjoyably drinkable.

GordonQuid, Oct 02, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

A- light orange peel brown. smaller head, and mild lacing on the way down.

S- sweet at first but then a little tartness comes in towards the end. Flowers and fruits.

T- Pow. extra bitter goodness. Bitter orange/grapefruit peel.

M- light and easy to drink. crisp, refreshing.

D- very well put together. a tought looking label for a tough beer to put down.

ChugsMugs, Oct 01, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

Appearance: Had this in a snifter-style glass out of a bottle. It poured a nice golden yellow, almost resembled a pale lager. Not much head after the initial pour, maybe a half-inch thin layer. Strong lacing throughout the duration of the drink.

Smell: This is rather aromatic. A few fruits hit you up front, mainly citrus and orange notes.

Taste: Now this is unique. It starts off with a slight hint of malt, but it is soon brushed aside by the dominant flavor of citrus, which bridges the gap from the smell. This is literally the most bitter beer I've ever had, but it fits rather well considering the citrus-y, orange-y flavors. Imagine taking a bite out of a lemon. This all sticks with you on the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: HOPS HOPS HOPS. My tongue got raped by hops, took me completely by surprise. It complimented the flavor well though, and they pop around on your tongue after you've swallowed the sip. The alcohol presence isn't too hidden; you can feel a sort of tangy kick to the alcohol. It was stronger than I expected; one bottle buzzed me, but then again I hadn't eaten in like seven hours beforehand.

Drinkability: Exceptional. It was weird at first, but the hops lingered around on my tongue and made me want more. As I grew used to it, I realized that the bitterness actually gives this one its defining characteristic. This is the Stone's unique quality that really gives it personality, and it grew on me.

It was good, but not something I would drink over and over again. I don't agree with the "world's best IPA" label it seems to get.

PappinAce, Sep 30, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

Saw this on the top 100 list so I bought a bomber.

Poured into a 16oz. glass. Had an orange/golden color with cloudiness. A nice head clinging to the glass throughout. The hops, I loved the hoppiness.

Very crisp and refreshing to drink.

I'm going back for more

InspectorBob, Sep 28, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

On tap at Cole's in Buffalo. Arrives a nice tawny golden with a layer of off white head, light lacing down the glass.

Nose is all hops, oranges, grapefruits, pine resin, floral, a touch soapy but bright and beautiful.

This is pretty much an all out hop attack and yet it doesn't seem overwhelmingly unbalanced, reminds me a little of Green Flash's IIPA. Tons of hop bite, lemons, grapefruit, tall on the pine resin, just a hint of malt to ride shotgun and keep it from being all hops. Bright carbonation, a really drinkable IIPA.

Need a hop fix? Hard to say no to this one. Looking for balance? Probably not your thing. As for me, loved it.

ritzkiss, Sep 28, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Stone Ruination IPA

Appearance:Very light, cloudy, orangish color, perhaps 7 SRM. Poured off tap into pint.

Smell: Very hoppy, cant pick out any specific hops, although citrus is certainly predominant

Taste: Burns so good! Very hoppy and tangy. I think I can taste the liquor and the malts but mostly the hops are just destroying my palate. Maybe its due to that but I thought I got something liquorish like for a second there. The finish is well, it doesn't really finish at all, hops just stay with you. Very harsh, yet refreshing

Mouthfeel: Light and burny.

Drinkability: Fantastic sort of a catch 22, its probably not the kind of beer you want to drink a lot of , but once you start drinking it your not going to be able to drink anything else. So, quite drinkable. I had three

Shakujin, Sep 28, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

From a 22oz bomber into a clear pint glass. Paid $6.25 at local health food store.

From the label: "God bless the yeast, the malt, and the HOPS!"

Amen. Good beer and faith mix just fine with me.

A-Pours a beautiful orange amber with a two finger head that recedes into a sticky lace all the way down my glass, whether I drink this slow, or faster. A nice effect. Head is bone white.

S-Wow. Very fragrant hops. Piney and citrus. Reminds me of very ripe, sweet tangerines. This is wonderful.

T-Bitter. Yeah, bitter. Insane at 100+. Stone won't disclose the IBUs, at least not publicly. Ruinous to the palette? Could be for some, but not mine. I guess mine has been matriculated. Gotta read the label. I love Stone's labels. There is just enough malt presence to balance this. But the overwhelming flavor characteristic is bitterness. Taste improves as it warms.

M-Surprisingly smooth for a beer this bitter and with a 7.7% ABV. Carbonation is spot on. Not as smooth as Russian River's PtE, but very nice.

This is a very good DIPA, but not great IMO. I gave drinkability a lower score since there are other much more affordable DIPAs, including PtE, that are better, or nearly as good. I especially enjoyed this today after my 100-mile Salem Bicycle Club "Peach of a Century" bicycle ride after enjoying Arrogant Bastard Ale. A nice combination on what appears the last warm day of summer-early autumn in the PNW.

velosuds, Sep 28, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured into a 22 oz snifter.

Pours a cloudy golden orange color, thick creamy head which leaves a beautiful lacing on the glass as it dissipates.

Smell is of hops, very hoppy nose. Citrus, grapefruit and grassy notes.

Definitely lives up to the name, a ruinous amount of hops, very bitter with a smooth malty finish which nicely compliments the bitter hops. Lots of hop oils, bitter hop tastes which linger for minutes on the tongue.

Thick viscous mouthfeel, medium carbonation which feels very refreshing in the mouth.

Great DIPA, just not very drinkable, one bomber is enough. Ruination is on the more bitter end of the DIPA spectrum, but this is a must try for hop heads everywhere.

pmccallum86, Sep 27, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +3.5%

Take Stone IPA and hop-it-up several notches. Terrific amber/orange color and a clean white head on the pour. The aroma is much stronger than most double IPA's due to the quality of hops used...you can tell. Lacing is absolutely beautiful. You can tell Stone takes great pride in this offering....from every detail. If you're not that into hops, you will hate this beer. It's not balanced at all, nor is it intended to be. This is a must on every hop-head's list.

ITK4ever, Sep 25, 2009
4.93/5  rDev +14.7%

poured from the bottle into a pint glass

Poured a dark gold in color, with a nice off white head

Smell - This one smells absolutely amazing. It is unbelievable the aroma that this one puts out. Lots of citrus notes, pine, grapefuit. Smells good in the bottle, but even better when poured.

Taste - this is probably one of the best IPA's i've had so far. I've had a few east coast IPA's and this is my first westcoast IPA. The hops are definitely different for sure, but this is a good difference. Very crisp, lots of citrus and pine notes, defiitely not over the top hops, but well balanced.

Mouthfeel - I would have to say it has a medium body.

Drinkability - I could definitely have a few of these without any problems at all.

Genuine, Sep 25, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

Another silkscreened bottle with the usual daunting "Stone Story" on the back. I don't know why but like a fluffer girl, it's putting me in the mood and getting me ready before I bust it open to enjoy.

Review notes taken from a month ago: 8/20/09

Pours a pale yellow/light orange color with a hearty head of single finger semi off-whiteness. Smell is wonderfully filled with hops boasting citrus, pine, grass and nearly lemon-like aroma as well. Taste is a blast of hop bitterness, almost oil-like the way the bitterness rolls around the tongue. However, it gives way to malt sweets as well. Finish is long and bitter reminding me for some reason of the sacks of lupulin clinging to hops responsible for this madness taking place in my mouth right now. Could easily drink another but my ability to taste is now desensitized...I'll save another bottle for a different day.

stakem, Sep 23, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +7.7%

Served into a pint cup from a 22 oz bomber

A- Beautiful clear pale orangey color with a thick cream (and creamy) head, leaves lacing everywhere

S- HOPS! Citrus and Grapefruit and of course piney, malt comes out as it warms

T- wonderful. i was expecting a lot more hop bite, especially considering the 100+ IBU's. Having said that I'm not at all disappointed with the flavor. its very smoothed out, the malt balances it out perfectly although it is balanced toward hops (the way i like it)
although i cant taste anything else anymore but that's okay because i dont know why you would want to
the alcohol isnt present at all althought my head can tell very soon after that there is a lot in there.
malty ending just before the hoppy, long lasting finish

M - very smooth and viscous. love it

D - i could drink this all day long if i didnt get pretty buzzed off of one bomber bottle of it

Notes - another wonderful beer by the guys at stone. i love it.

Rguardian989, Sep 23, 2009
4.28/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Apearance - Pours a hazy light copper with a one finger head that sticks around about half way through the glass. Strong lacing.

Nose- Complex hoppiness. Grapefruit and pine with floral notes.

Palate- Malts come through first just for a moment as the hops start their show. Aroma, flavor, bitter, all were very nicely done and compliment each other. Spicy/floral at first followed by a kick in your mouth grapefruit/pine.

Mouthfeel- Not too thick and syrupy like some DIPAs. In fact very nice.

Drinkability- After the first, I thought extremely high. After the third, not quite so high. A few of these really dry your mouth out.

Overall- Great name for a great beer.

wknight167, Sep 22, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

You're not cool unless you drink this beer. The name is cool, the bottle is extra cool, and the contents are terrific. Poured into a snifter, it has a cloudy orange color with a foamy, cream-colored head that dissipates to leave a bit of lacing on the side of the glass. The aroma is pungent with scents of grapefruit and pine hops. The first sip is powerfully bitter without being overwhelming. The next taste is a big gulp that leaves my tongue saturated with hop oils so that the bitterness lingers for a few seconds. Despite this powerful hop character, you could almost call the flavor balanced because of the bit of malt sweetness, and the carbonation makes it go down surprisingly easy. It is just fun to have this beer in the fridge, because every once in a while you want to be reminded how you can brutally assault your taste buds and enjoy every sip of it.

devilben02, Sep 20, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Yummy

Appearance: Pours a nice orange with about half an inch of pale tan head. Fairly good lacing.

Smell: Floral and sweet. Very good hops were used and it comes through in the aroma.

Taste: Big hoppy taste! No attempt at balance this is hop heaven :)

Mouthfeel: Hoppy resin makes this beer very smooth on the tongue. Lots of bitterness can be found in this beer.

Drinkability: I love this beer. Its very enjoyable and you want to pace yourself because it tastes soooo good. A very enjoyable beer and the glass won't leave your hand once you poor this beauty.

TheFlern, Sep 20, 2009
Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.