Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

This DIPA hasn't made its way to the top of most expert's taste lists by just being "average." Yes, it's strong. Yes, it's VERY bitter. Yes, it's known as "hophead heroin."

Those who complain about Ruination's lack of maltiness are not familiar with the style, nor with the philosophy of Stone Brewing Company. Stone hit a home run with this liquid gold, and those lucky enough to find it (and fortunate enough to be able to afford it) will surely have a memorable experience.

3.55/5  rDev -17.4%

22oz. Bomber poured into my pint glass.

A: Golden yellow with a significant white head. Beer is a bit cloudy, which would make sense, as I believe this is an unfiltered offering.

S: As expected - it's all hops. Citus and pine all the way.

T: Obviously, the hops are front and centered here. Very good and refreshing. As the name indicates, your palate is ruined after consuming this bomber, so be forewarned.

M: Medium-bodied.

D: I can't very well rate this low on the drinkability scale, since it's a DIPA and you're not supposed to be able to pound these! I rated it average, though I could not consume more than a bomber of this in a session.

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

12 Fl. Oz. bottle poured into pint glass. Served 45-50 F.
A: Golden brown with thick frothy white head. Many CO2 trails form on bottom of pint. Thin head retention. Leaves large splotches around pint.
S: Hops. Very fruity and sweet.
T: Bright citrus and resin filled hops. Pale malts are sweet and spicy. Bitter linger.
M: Medium light on tongue. Very crisp.
D: Big hop flavor. Solid beer.

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

A: a nice orange color with lace head retention is not that good it goes down rather quick

S: I only get peaches from the smell I know thats not what most people get but I swear to god peaches peaches peaches and nothing else. hoppy peaches thats it.

T: bitter peaches in the taste I am thinking this is the freshest ruination I have ever had! or the hops that they used in this batch was off the hook! like some grapes have good years this was a good year for the hops in the beer man

M: med-light mouth med carbonation

D: yeah very drinkable hops build on you but hell if you like hops its a good thing

overall: I never got this much peach from any beer its bitter peach that is very refreshing. I always like this beer but this bottle was off the hook!

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from 22oz bomber into my Duvel chalice.

I am not a huge hop head and only rarely go with the IPA's so I admit I am not the best judge for this beer. However I know a good beer when I drink it.

Pours medium-golden color, with a cloud like white head, and good lacing. A cacophony of hop aromas mixed together with good malts.

Taste is all IPA. Man, the hops steal the show and are sharp and spicy. Has a nice rich body, as it slides over the tongue. I know there is some malt and yeast in there behind the hops!

Deep in the end there may have been some phenols and citrus.

Stone was right, it caused ruination to the palate.

I am no extreme hop head but I can tell its a winner of an IPA.

I wont be jumping back in right away but its not Stone's fault I dont like IPA's in general.

Cheers to Stone.

4.63/5  rDev +7.7%

poured from 12oz bottle into generic pint glass.

A: pours cloudy, probably chill haze, dark yellowish orange, two finger white head that fell slowly to a finger then to a thin layer. lacing is almost creepy, one long sheet to almost the bottom of the glass.
S: far from the glass its a mainly lemon citrus. right in the glass its more of a heavy sugared lemon, light pine.
T: hops are more piny on the palate than on the nose, sweet lemon citrus. strong bitterness on the aftertaste as well a pine.
M: coating hop flavor sticks to the roof of my mouth, the rest lingers long, carbonation is in the medium range.
D: other than the 7.7%abv its very easy to drink

4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

22oz bomber obtained at McKinnon's in Salem NH. Pours a hazy golden color with about an inch of off white head that leaves a bit of lacing. scents of herbal/earthy hops immediately hit the nose and dominates the smell. tastes of earthy hops with a bit of wood with bitter taste in the finish. medium bodied and light/moderate carbonation. definitely a sipper but a great beer even though the resin from the hops leaves a very bitter quality to the finish but also very dry as well. Two Thumbs way up!!

Cheers!!

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured from a bomber into a tulip.

Orange-amber pour with about two fingers of dense white foam. Head retention is pretty good. Most of the glass is coated with sticky lacing. Perfection.

Hugely hoppy nose. Hugely hoppy, in that I got a solid whiff of pine as I removed the cap. Once the beer is in the glass, it explodes with citrus (grapefruit/orange) and pine scents. Very pleasant aroma, surprisingly pleasant for a beer with a name like Ruination.

It's funny. I first had Ruination in the very early stages of my craft beer exploration. Now, having tried it again for the first time in months, and after having countless world-class IPA's and Double IPA's, Ruination's palate-wrecking bitterness is even more apparent. Definitely tasting much more citrus than pine, which always works for me. The finish is very resinous and bitter, yet not harshly so. It's certainly a very bitter beer, and, weirdly, my tongue even feels different after finishing it, yet it's still delicious and a treat to drink.

I say this way too often, but Double/Imperial IPA's have my favorite texture of any style of beer. Ruination follows suit. Just shy of full-bodied, full-flavored, and with soft carbonation. Very silky, creamy feel. I don't notice the 7.7% ABV in any way.

Who knew a bazillion IBU Double IPA could be so drinkable? Maybe I am worthy, after all. Another absolute classic from Stone.

A terrific offering from Stone. I have had plenty of the regular Stone IPAs, and wasn't sure how different this one was going to be, but it did deliver. Color is a tad deeper golden than the regular IPA. Hops aroma is a bit more complex, although not overwhelmingly so. Taste seems to me like a richer, hoppier Stone IPA, with more emphasis on the citrus flavors, rather than the uni-demensional hop profile of regular IPA. So smooth and easy drinking for a 7.7% beer. Would highly recommend checking this one out, and would advise drinking a 12 oz serving of this before sessioning other beers to appreciate the excellent blending of flavors Stone did here.

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from a 12-oz. bottle into my Terrapin pint glass.

Appearance: Golden and a little hazy with a one-finger white head. Good retention and very good lacing.

Smell: Strong floral hops and a somewhat nutty malt aroma.

Taste: Very bitter. Intense bitterness characterizes this beer, living up to the 'ruination' moniker. There's decent balance from the malts, but this is really a hop poem, as the label states. Additionally, and rather curiously, there's a certain "ashenness" here. This threw me off at first, but now I really enjoy it.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and tangy; medium body.

Drinkability: This IPA is just a little bit different from most others I've had, and I like it a lot. It's strong, but not as strong as many American IPAs, and I could easily drink two or three of these in a session (and wind up pretty drunk as a result, probably).

Stone Brewing Company, for all its humorous boasting, never really fails to deliver great beer, and they certainly didn't botch this one. Wassail, my friends. Wassail.

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

Fantastic IPA. Classic style with a good malty compliment to the robust hop flavor. Not "pine cone" hop at all, very drinkable. Pleasant mouthfeel without feeling heavy. Hop up front with a bitter and malty aftertaste. Served on draft - tasted fresh but not a lot of head so aroma seemed a little subdued.

3.73/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A 1L swingtop growler filled at Al's yesterday.

A: The DIPA is a golden orange, a glow that has sunset written all over it. Moderately hazy, the ale pulls off, on third pour, a finger of head that has legs.

S: Orange peel and grapefruit dominate, a syrupy sweet bitterness that is wicked bitter. The hoppiness is as floral as it is sharp, covering up all traces of malt (and therefore all semblance of balance).

T: The floral intricacies of the nose disappear in the face of an all-out assault on the senses (at least taste). The hops are a wall of bite, sharp and nearly unending. The devil is in the details though, as smaller sips reveal the breadth of the hops. The floral flavors are there, just look for 'em, along with the orange peel. Unfortunately a heavy-handed alcohol comes along for the ride. The ale lacks balance, plain and simple. Lots of hops, I like that. Too much booze, I don't like that.

M: Without the booze I really like the ale. The hops are floral and full, awesome in their own right.

D: Under 8%? That surprises the hell out of me. It feels like it should be twice that. I'm not worthy anymore, methinks.

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Had this one on tap at Mad Mex in Columbus, Ohio.
A: Clear amber with a nice fluffy white head that leaves lacing.
S: Grapefruit citrus hops up front, which are very green, with a sweet malty backbone and some alcohol. It is very inviting.
T: Caramel roasted malt sweetness in front of a rapid shock of green piney hops that linger.
M: Mildly syrupy and frothy.
D: Pretty good.

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22oz bomber, bottled Mar 26, 2010.

Pours clear light gold, a bit of amber, with a large fluffy white head, served in a Duvel tulip and has a Duvel-like appearance at first, but fades quite a bit.

Aroma is citrus, grapefruit, pine, grass, citrus rind, some yeast, bread. Quite strong.

Taste is deliciously bitter pine, resinous hops, some citrus rind/peel, a little malt balance, but not much. The bitterness is perfect, very refreshing, no noticeable alcohol.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with medium carbonation.

Ahhhh, so glad to finally get my hands on a fresh bottle of Ruination and it was worth the wait. After being hit with some boozy DIPAs recently, I really enjoyed the lower alcohol content in this one, the hops really get to steal the show here. Excellent.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Served from tap into standard pint. Pours a nice golden color with a one finger white head that lingers. The aroma was quite hoppy. The flavor of this beer was bitter enough that it became spicy while in your mouth, but massive hop flavor is lurking and hits you upon swallowing. It had a medium feel on the palate with mild carbonation. There was minimal lacing throughout the brew, but some was evident. Overall this is an awesome IPA from Stone (my personal favorite IPA actually). If you are a big hop flavor lover and haven't tried this, you definitely owe it to yourself to track this one down.

3.68/5  rDev -14.4%

22oz. Bomber poured into my pint glass.

A: Pours a nice straw yellow with a 3/4" off white head. Very cloudy all the way threw with some lacing left behind.

S: Deicious, hoppy, pine, and lemon.

T: Pine, lemon, citrus, and a bitter after taste.

M: Thin bodied with light carbonation.

D: This is my first Stone brew since it has hit IL. This is a good DIPA/IIPA! Not sure if I would buy it again because I'am interested in checking out the other Stone brews. Overall good beer!

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

I drank this from the bottle into a chalice.

It pours a medium clear gold with an off white head and great lacing.

Aroma is very subtle of hops with flowers with a light citrus finish.

I like this taste much better than the original Stone IPA. Its not as bitter throughout just where it should be and in the right amount. The end hoppiness is also a combination with floweres which is very interesting. The mouthfeel is great and lasts several seconds and its an easy drink.

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

Guess I had my sights set to high for this one. Found it to be on the high end of average, but did find myself liking it more and more as I went through the twelve pack that I had bought.
Dont get me wrong, was a very good brew but seemed to me it should have fallen into the single IPA category. Hope to re-review this after a while with perhaps some fresher material.

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

Appearance: golden, slightly cloudy, white pillowy head, nice lacing.

Smell: pine herb, citrus

Taste: malt upfront, spicy citrus and grapefruit in the back of the finish. A little on the earthy side.

Mouthfeel: substantial yet creamy, very pleasant.

Drinkability: a very good DIPA. I will definitely get again.

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a hazy light yellowish amber color with a one finger head that retains and leaves a nice trail of white lacing. The nose is hops hops and more hops. very very citrusy as well with a notable malt sweetness. After a good swirl I can slightly smell the alcohol. The taste is very similar. Lots of piny hops and very citrusy with a good malt backbone that causes this beer to be even more enjoyable. Very heavy, velvety and thick mouthfeel. Nice and drinkable as well. This is one of the finest IPAs I have ever had.

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

22oz bottle served in a pint glass.

A- Poured a golden yellowish orange with a 2 finger white fluffy head that left splotchy lacing on the side of the glass.

S- Strong pine, earthy, and grassy hops with some decent amount of orange or lemon cirtus.

T- Strong earthy and pine hops up front with a sweet more citrus lemon and orange finish. Not to many malts come through but has a slight caramel sweetness and a slight alcohol flavor as it warms a bit. Also has a slight off taste to it, can't quite figure it out.

M- Medium body with moderate carbonation and a strong brutal bitter finish.

Overall this beer is great but other than it's strong brutal hopiness this beer doesn't have to much going for it. Seems like stone tried to hard to make it insanely hoppy and didn't worry to much about the overall flavor.

SkÅL!

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

22oz Bomber into my favorite over sized glass.

A- Hazy deep amber, two finger fluffy white head, lacing is incredible it just doesn't want to let go of the glass.
S- Pine, grapefruit, lemon and grassy hints.
T- Pine, orange, grapefruit, quite bitter (and I like it!)
M- Juicy, perfect carbonation, makes my cheeks tingle, outstanding mouth feel for a beer like this.
D- Super drinkable.

I was actually planning on splitting this and I'm glad I didn't. The alcohol is masked very well. Be careful this could get dangerous it tastes so good!

3.9/5  rDev -9.3%

Appearance: Pours a golden yellow with a slight orange hue. The head is a creamy white the sticks with you throughout the session and leaves a lacing drooling down the glass. Good for the style but nothing spectacular.

Smell: Citrus with a huge hop presence. Slightly grapefruit and piney smell brought on yet again by the hops.

Taste: Citrus and hops attack up front with a crisp aftertaste that makes me crave more. Easy on the palate if you're a hop-head but destroys the palate's of those who aren't into super bitter beers.

Mouthfeel: Crisp with a slight bite. Leaves a nice floral hops taste on the tongue.

Drinkability: Able to finish a bomber but that's about it. Satisfying and a good representation of the style.

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: It has a slightly hazy golden color. There was a finger to a finger and a half of stark white head that faded to leave some nice lacing on top.

S: It has a robust citrus aroma characterized mainly by orange notes with some grapefruit. They no doubt did not refrain on the aroma hopping.

T: The taste opens with a citrus jab. I was expecting more of a haymaker from the aroma. It is then followed by a semi-sweet malt presence and then finished with some crisp bitterness. It has a excellent body and mouthfeel.

This is a well balanced double IPA. I was expecting a little more of a hop assault, but all in all an excellent beer. The aroma is the star of this beer. I would love to have this extremely fresh and on tap. I think it would be incredible.

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Second taste of a Stone product.
Quick sniff of the bottle: This is the smell I think of when I think of an IPA.

A- My girlfriend exclaimed: ''Yellow!'' as I poured but it's more of a very nice almost artificial gold. Dirty white head, a bit yellowish even. I really think better head and retention is possible but my glass might have some soap residue.

S- Strong citrus hops with a little something rotten. Tiny bit of woodiness. Hot alcohol. Smells great but seemed better while still in the bottle. Once you get used to the hops and it gets warmer, some sniffs only reveal the hot alcohol.

T- This really surprised me. I've had stronger and more bitter but never such a hop kick. Hard for me to describe the malt because the citrus/pine/bubblegum hops are all over the place. Vodka like alcohol. I'm still tasting something rotten in it.

M- Good mouthfeel. Perfect carbonation. More body would help I think.

D- Very easy to drink. I'm holding myself back so I don't down it in a single gulp.

Although it's not the best DIPA I've had it's right up there and definitely a surprising brew.

Was very tasty with sushi.

Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.