Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
4.47/5  rDev +4%

Thanks to RichBeer for sending me this in our recent trade!

A- Poured from 22oz bomber into a pint glass; body formed is a amber color, pretty great clarity, bubbles, great white head leaves lacing all the way down!

S- Great hop aroma here, full of goodness! some grapefruit, sweet malts, and more hops!

T- Bitter hoppiness up front that i do enjoy, followed by a mix of grapefruit hope goodness paired with some sweet-maltiness that balances well! Some slight pine to the flavor as well; at the end there is a light-alcohol presence, bitterness as well.

M- Medium body, feels slightly heavy in mouth, very smooth!
the light carbonation mends well here. leaves bitterness in your mouth, with a little alcohol taint as well. i thought there would be more being a double; very well balanced, great work Stone!

D- Great beer; great hoppy, well-balanced and flavored DIPA! flavors are similar to smell... as it warmed, the alcohol became more prevalent, but that is ok with me as well.

Very glad to have traded for this beer, a great beer to add to what i have tried. i truly enjoyed this DIPA!

I must say as well, Stone has great looking bottles as well! not only great time and care into the brewing process but also the delivery method/appearance!

poured into two glasses, one tulip and one snifter.

pours a nice clear orange color, with a nice off white head.

smells very hopy with some mixes of fruit and more hops.

It tastes super hopy, but not overwhelming. there are also some moalts and a bit of sweetness.

Full body that flowed creamy.

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my pint glass

Pours a hazy copper color with a three inch dense creamy off-white head. Good head retention with scattered lacing left clinging to my glass.

Smells of citrus flavors. Like grapefruit, orange zest, lemons, green apples, and that caramel malt smell that is oh so familiar with the style.

Tasty citrus flavor with a nice bitter hop bite and a mild malt caramel backbone to balance it out a bit. Could use a little more citrus flavor, but I account this to hops fading.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation and a slightly dry sweet aftertaste.

All in all this is a good IPA that has something going for it, like other reviews in which I stated, if only I could try this fresher.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

dark yellow with a nice, thick off white head.looks very nice. bubbling in glass.

smells floral hops. strong smell. hoppy, great smell.

very bitter taste. but it strangely enough goes down very smooth.

very nice mouthfeel.gets better and better with every drink.

the "ruination" of the palate makes it hard to drink more than one at a setting.

3.78/5  rDev -12.1%

Amber colour with decent head. The nose shouts grapefruit and tinned oranges with just a hint of something grainy.

The first taste seems too sweet, think a citrus candy with a hint of apple, but after the alcohol makes itself known the hops take over to surprising degree leaving a bitter but oily herbal finish: the most hoppy beer I've had in a long time, more's the pity. This really lingers on the tongue.

Given the vagaries of scoring system here it will receive a lower overall rating from me than it deserves as the appearance is nothing to write home about (which isn't something I care about too much) and it is too big to be hugely drinkable.

4.6/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Ok so this is the second best DIPA that I have ever had. Appearance was top notch, big billowing head with tons of lacing. Smell and taste are very good as well- tons of grapefruit and floral hops. YES. Also some sweet caramel malt actually tries to sneaking in an balance it out a bit. Finishes quite clean with the oily finish. Drinkability is out of this world.

4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

Hazy from the cask at The Linkery in downtown SD, has a bit of the nitro-thing going on (I doubt it's nitro, just whatever happens in the cask that makes it look like that.) The smell is heavily of Northwestern hops, maybe chinook and centennial, not as fruity as cascade though. IIRC, stone uses an assload of chinook. The taste is everything you want in an IPA. My dad was drinking a different, "normal," IPA and this made it taste and look like a german lager...muwhahaha!!! It's truely sad that I think this is a balanced beer now. Other IPA's now pale ales, and pale ales, well, weak. Look what you did to me homebrewing! A bit hard to quaff down, but boy it's tasty. Stone just destroys all.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Why have I never reviewed this one before? This is one of the best IPA craziness brews I have ever tried. I would bathe in this brew.

The appearance is really copper-gold color that comes with an off-white head. The head is crisp and leaves a medium lacing down the sides of the glass.

The smell is absolutely outstanding. There is nothing else that it smells like other than straight Stone hops. It is truly amazing how great this smell is. A citrus, honey, sweet fruits smell is the greatest, along with a bitterness that stings your nostrils, but in a good way.

The taste is great great great. The mouthfeel along with the smell are an overwhelming characteristic, and when it comes together with the taste it is just hands down excitement. You can taste the bitterness all over your tongue. You can also taste the great oily hop that just coats your palate. A taste of citrus and pine, all go great together. The mouthfeel is so unique, something that only Stone can do well. It just punches you straight in the face and doesn't give you any mercy.

Now, a lot of people have a problem with how this brew is drunk. I think that it is incredibly drinkable and that I could easily drink two bombers of this, but then again I am a Stone drinker that loves getting kicked in the face. So, different strokes for different folks. Either way this is the foundation of my beer drinking, and I love every drop that comes out of the bottle.
J

3.1/5  rDev -27.9%

Appearance: Cloudy orangish-brown, nice white head, good retention, good lacing

Smell: Sweet floral

Taste: Oranges, Tangerines, and a few flowers blended together

Drinkability: Way too over the top with the hops to be able to drink many.

I enjoy this beer once in a while becxause it's a really good ipa, but I could never drink many of them.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

22 oz. bottle poured into a mug.

(Surprised I haven't reviewed this before... have had it a bunch of times.)

Appearance: Pours a great subdued amber color, slightly hazy. Nice white head is creamy with a bunch of bubbles; leaves a nice lacing.

Smell: Nice hop aroma with a bit of pine and grapefruit - not too bitter, not too sweet, not too strong.

Taste: Nice bitter hops at the start, with a bit of malts and some sweetness coming into play. Nicely balanced, yet still keeping a great hop "bite". Maybe a tad of alcohol in the finish/aftertaste, but it is hard to distinguish from some pine & grapefruit flavors too.

Mouthfeel: Medium- to heavy-bodied and quite smooth. Light carbonation, but seems fitting for this style.

Drinkability: Really tasty and easy to drink. Strong in alcohol, but not over-the-top.

An excellent double IPA. Very hoppy, but with balance. No real weird flavors or anything either, like I get in so many beers of this style.

3.7/5  rDev -14%

Pours a golden orange with a two-finger head that laces beautifully down sides. Head dissipates slowly, but never completely. Leaves a thin frothy splotchy head for remainder of drink.

You can smell this one across the room - pure citrus.

Taste is extremely hoppy bitter - as to be expected from Stone and this style.

Tastes like super-charged grapefruit juice.

Mouthfeel is great. Not thin and not too thick - just like Goldilock's porridge.

Drinkability - I'm just now finishing this six-pack that i bought about a month ago. I'm not far enough along in my beer drinking career to fully appreciate the DIPAs - just too much for me. This one is definitely a sipper.

4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours a mouth-watering copper with a white head and solid lacing through and through.

Piney, citrusy, grassy, hoppy, lovely smells!

Same in the taste, but balanced with a nice malt backbone.

This finishes very clean and not too bitter. This is easily the best pound for pound IPA I've had. Ruination is the pretty girl next door who notices you!

4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

I've never had anything from Stone before even though I see it on the shelf all the time. IT was time to give this one a try.

A- Nice Amber hue with some amazing lacing left behind from a head that didn't stick around too long

S - Lots of pine and citrus tones coming through. Almost overpowering in the nose - not a newbie beer that's for sure.

T - Lots of hops in the front end but the finish is a suprise - it leaves a sweet tone to complete and almost a bit of a letdown when reading the bottle with all the smack about an "assault" on your palate. I've experienced that before with other really hoppy beers. This one from stone certainly doesn't do that but it's ok. The hops are balanced quite nice with the flavor. A solid IPA

M - A bit on the heavy side.

D - I'd say the drinkability is high for this beer with 7% or so ABV. A very good IPA. I will definitely look for this one again.

3.95/5  rDev -8.1%

22 ounce bomber bought at D`Agostino`s.

Upon pouring into a pint glass, this beer is a light orange color with a one finger head. The smell is of citrus and spices. Ruination tastes hoppy, some orange, lemon, other fruits, well balanced taste. Mouthfeel is very dry afterwards, have a water to the side. Drinkability is solid overall, pretty good beer.

4.43/5  rDev +3%

A friend picked this up for me in Houston. Cracked one open yesterday, poured a clear golden/bronze color with little white head, sparse lacing on the glass. Smelled of fresh hops, very citrusy, and a little piney. Tasted very citrus hoppy, mildly bitter. Well carbonated, a little dry but smooth. Very drinkable, only wish I had more.

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

A- Excellent amber to copper color, nice full white head with full lacing

S - Huge hop aroma, pine and citrus. One of the most aromatic beers I've experienced.

T - As expected, big hop profile up front. Piney hop hits first, with a milder citrus profile. Finishes with a nice caramel malt with no harsh aftertaste.

M - Very nice, heavier bodied IPA.

D - Excellent, the malt finish holds off the bitterness enough to make drinking a few of these possible despite the very high IBU profile.

4.7/5  rDev +9.3%

Great aroma, it's immediately in your face with citrus hop aroma and you want to drink it. When you do you are so glad that you did that you drink more and notice the great lacing, and then more and the taste blows you away. Pretty soon it is gone and you are sad, but then you are once again happy because you realize you just had one of the best beers you have ever had, and it doesn't hurt that you have 5 more in the fridge!

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Looks a brilliant bronze with a medium dense white head that settles quickly but never fully disappears. A blast of that patented IPA citrus-pine smacks your nose. Digging a little deeper, as this world class ale opens up a bit, more scents are revealed. I imagine some sweeter notes, lemon cookies, fresh fruit. And, for I guess the first time ever (in a beer review), I detect hop's black sheep cousin cannabis. Yup. It's there. Sticky icky.

Taste is BITTER !!! But of course there is so much more going on here. There is a solid malt presence that is realized even as it is being blown away by the super hoppy aftertaste. The flavor is huge and unique, and it lingers. Probably medium body, but such an intensity that it seems bigger. The bitterness just keeps going, ripping away the inside of your mouth from your tongue to your gums. Intense! At 7.7% it's just at the border between not so strong and STRONG. It actually tastes a lot stronger because of the insanely enormous flavor which is still eating away at my inner mouth.

I like the diatribes and I love the labels on these bombers. Stone fucking rocks.

4.47/5  rDev +4%

Tons of reviews and tons of good reviews. For good reason. This is one great tasting ale that stands up to all the hype.

12oz bottle into a generic snifter.

Not cloudy, but not clear, this beer is a couple shades shy of being what I'd call amber. The lacing is not quite what I was hoping for, but this could be the glass.
Tons of sweet grapefruit citrus in the nose. A powerful aroma fills the nostrils to say the least. It smells great!
There is more pine flavors in the taste than there were in the smell. I love IPAs that establish both the citrus and the evergreen side of things.
The mouthfeel is typical of a highly hopped beer, very sticky that ends very dry. It makes you know you are drinking something that is of high quality.
Its dangerously gulpable, but at almost 8% abv, you'd better be careful.

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

Had on tap at Fireworks Pizza in Leesburg, VA.

A - Quite hazy light amber color with a big white head. Head is sticky and tight and like latte foam and lasts for a few minutes leaving a good 1/4 inch cap all the way to the end of the beer. Wonderful lacing.

S - Very hoppy in nose. Floral hops with hints of pine and some tangerine zest. Malts come through a bit but not much alcohol.

T&M - Very creamy and smooth mouthfeel with low-moderate carbonation. Big and hoppy up front with the taste of fresh hops and light citrus. Not overly biting in the hop area which is nice, just a big kick in the taste buds. Some nice pine needles in the aftertaste but not overly sharp. The smoothness of this beer is never compromised by cloying flavors or overly sharp flavors. Nice maltiness lends to a big body. Not much alcohol in the flavor to my taste, even as it warms.

D - Scarily drinkable. I didn't know the ABV and guess that it was probably a 6% and maybe 7% at most. I was wrong - but that's how well it is masked. Wonderfully tasty and easy to drink.

4.43/5  rDev +3%

Bought this 1 pint-6 oz. bottle in New York 2009. Tasted it on March 21st, 2009.

A: Wow, nice golden color with a good head.
S: Hops, what else?! The smell is strong and the hops smells are floral. Awesome smell.
T: Strong taste again, but what to expect from a Imperial IPA. Again, this is mainly hops in the taste, but my palates ask for more!
D: A very refreshing beer nevertheless. I drank this bottle so quickly... very drinkable.

Wow, this is one great IPA. Not too over on the citrus. What amazed me is the balance in the taste and smell of this beer. Surely I need another one for future tasting. Certainly another beer to add to my MUST BUY list!

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Reviewed on 5-31-09.

Appearance - Ruination appears as a burnt orange but not quite as dark as "burnt" suggests. The head was not quite white and it provided excellent lacing down the glass (until I gave the beer another swirl - I'm a chronic swirler).

Aroma - The nose was mostly hops. Lots of floral, citrus, pine, and even a little bit of earthy business in there. It seems like Stone threw in a mixed bag of hops providing different aromas (and flavors) and I thank them for that.

Taste - After the initial bitterness shock, my palate picked up a fair dosage of malt. It seemed like it was mostly carmel malt I was tasting. Before I could even blink, the hop schedule comes back and hits me with another bunch of bitterness and flavors in much the same flavors as aromas revealed.

As another reviewer mentioned, it seems like the hops were mostly early/mid-boil additions because the aroma (a characteristic shaped by late-boil hop additions among other techniques) was quite understated in comparison to the massive bitterness and hop flavor. A little dry-hopping would balance out the aroma/flavor ratio, but I'm not sure that would improve the beer any. The understated aroma seems to help the maltiness come through.

Mouthfeel - Ruination had a medium thickness with an oily finish which seemingly coated my mouth with hops which continued to release bitterness long after the liquid had departed.

Drinkablity - I wouldn't say this is as "drinkable" as some of the finer American Adjunct Lagers (yes, sarcasm), but I couldn't stop drinking the hell out of it. I was trying to take my time with this beer knowing it's 7.7% ABV measurement but I couldn't help but keep grabbing my glass for the next dosage of Ruination. I'm a little dude, and knowing that (and even trying to avoid drunkeness in an effort to review this hallowed beer accurately), I couldn't stop drinking this beer. It was great and the slightly puckering finish left me wanting more (or maybe it was the incredible taste...).

Well, I'm drunk-ish but fairly happy with this beer. It was a good one to chalk up on to the list o' "must-have brews" board. It'll be a long time before I can get this guy again (not distributed to anywhere within a two or three states in any direction from here) but I'm super happy with the beer and I'm quite happy I went out of my way to get it when I was in an area that had it. I hope Stone can find a way to my state because this brew is special and I wouldn't be too terribly adverse to drinking this guy as often as possible.

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from a bomber into pint glass.

A - Pours a rather hazy golden-orange color with about about one finger of sticky white head that retains well and leaves a decent bit of lacing.

S - Citrus hops dominate with some floral and pine tones as well. Grapefruit and pine aromas stick out the most. Very slight, sweet maltiness in the background also.

T - Sweet, caramel maltiness when it first hits the tongue, then the intense hop flavor comes through. Complex hoppiness with hints of grapefruit, pine and some floral notes as well. Quite bitter on the finish, and the bitterness lingers on the tongue, as well as some of the piney hoppiness. Definitely leans very heavily to the hop vs. malt side of things, but in a very good way.

M - Medium bodied and very resinous. Leaves your mouth feeling like coated in delicious, bitter hoppiness.

D - Very drinkable considering its 7.7% abv and 100+ IBUs. Powerful, delicious flavors that don't disappoint. Any hophead could enjoy this one. Stone never seems to let me down.

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Served on-tap in a tulip glass at TDR Exton

Pours a coppery-brass color, with a thick fluffy head. An "attractive" beer.

The malt, surprisingly, is the front of this, then citrus hops and a hint of pine. Anticipation building.

The hops burst out in the flavor - the pine domintates, the citrus comes in second. The malt is fighting, but loses out to the hoppiness.

I drank 2 of these today (with a Nor Cal mixed in for fun) and if not for having to get home, could have had a couple more, a great beer with a good drinkability

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass, consumed two weeks before the "best by" label.

A: Pours about two fingers of cream colored head. The beer itself is a nice amber color and is crystal clear. Very nice sticky lacing. Textbook appearance for a good DIPA.

S: When I stuck my nose into it the hops smacked me in the face. I get pine, lemon, and orange notes. There is also a very pleasing malty smell I picked up and a hint of alcohol.

T: Starts nice with a nice flavor of sweet malty goodness, then comes the bitterness. An explosion of hops rages across the palette. These hops carry flavors of citrus fruits and pine, as well as the intense bitterness. There is a bitter finish with a slight taste of booze.

Overall: Even with the strong hop bomb, this DIPA is pretty damn balanced due to the nice malty start which eases the drinker into the hoppy fun. The 7.7% ABV is very well hidden. Stone fails to disappoint yet again.

Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.