Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
4.55/5  rDev +5.8%

I haven't had this beer for a long time so I didn't really remember how it was. So, I'll write a review this time around.
This is my first hop monster in a looong time (not by choice, mind you). So I was looking forward to it quite a bit.
I almost forgot what hops taste like living in Japan. That taste? Good. Real f'n good.

Dark reddish amber color, fluffy thick off-white head. It sticks around for a bit and leaves nice lacing. The smell is possibly the best part of this beer. Strong citrusy, piney, delicious, "drink me now" smell. Taste is similar with a very strong dry bitter finish. I wish I had 5 more of these.

toweringpoo, Sep 08, 2008
3.9/5  rDev -9.3%

big thanks to nfr5069 for this one.

22 oz bomber poured into a Boulevard Smokestack goblet. This off white head stands a fingers width. Flecks of lace. Color is a hazy orange.

Smell is predominantly citrus hops with a balancing toasty malt. Taste is not overly hopped like a lot of Stone beers. Yes, there is a lot of hops, but it's not hitting me over the head. Very balanced out with the malt. It's a bit more on the citrus sweet side.

Mouthfeel is a solid medium body, with goo carbonation crispness. Very solid and approachable DIPA

bort11, Sep 06, 2008

12 oz. bottle poured into a brandy snifter. Freshness date 9.16.08

Appearance: Hazy tawny golden hue. A shallow yet dense head which persists for a few moments. Plentiful carbonation bubbles.

Aroma: Like standing in the hop yard at harvesting time holding a freshly baked steaming sweet bread. Glorious pungent floral citrus and bready malt sweetness.

Flavor: Sweet malt up front quickly followed by citrusy-herbal bitterness and then resiny-piney bitterness coating the tongue. Each sip renewing the taste buds and repeating the cycle.

Mouthfeel: Good foundation for the plentiful hops and malt. Leaves a not unpleasant coated feeling on the tongue and mouth. Perhaps a protective layer from the dense bittering properties of the hops which enables the ability to appreciate the many nuances of the hops without becoming overly taste fatigued.

Overall: A wonderful beer. As ruinous as they claim it to be to the taste buds it is anomalously balanced in its own right. Perhaps best enjoyed at the end of a tasting session. I could drink numerous pints without taste bud fatigue but realize other beers would have a hard time following this one. Highly recommended.

enso, Sep 02, 2008
4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours a very nice clear deep gold. Smells like hops. Tons of fresh floral/citrusy Cenntenial hops. Tastes like tons of fresh floral/citrusy Centennial hops. Sweet malt keeps it relatively balanced. Has a bracing bitterness that is not unpleasent. Mouthfeel is moderatly viscous with a smooth carbonation. Alchohol is not detectable. At 7.7% this is small for a DIPA wich is not a bad thing. Very and drinkable and very good. Wish I had access to it all the time.

mjryan, Sep 02, 2008
4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

One of the best beers I've had recently. Everything about it is top-notch. The blend of hops and alcohol and everything is perfect - not like most IPAs. Actually, I usually don't drink IPAs as they can be a little too hoppy and bitter for my taste, but this one is different, and I'd buy it again for sure. Highly recommended!

prsguitarsr4me, Sep 01, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Bomber poured into a pint glass with vigor. This produced a half finger a bubbly head which left a complete ring of lacing around the glass. This beer is a nice golden color.

Ooh the smell is funky strong hops- skunky, piney, slightly lemonish and complex.

Hops fix-check. Definitely more on the skunky side of the hops spectrum with lemons coming through as a backbone. Malts begin this advanture with buttery toffee flavors. Alcohol finish is noticeable but in balance. The hops taste sticks with you like a fat belly in the holidays. This beer makes me happy!

Moutfhfeel- light carbonation and surprisingly light body. The malts and hop oils stay with you for awhile.

Drinkability certainly has been established. I could drink this beer during a summer BBQ or next to the fire on a frigid winter night. Thank you to Stone and their gargoyle for this deliciousness.

THEBEERBAR0N, Sep 01, 2008
4.71/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a slightly hazy orange with a small off-white head. Smells like a fresh grapefruit, amazingly rich. Taste is is the same up front with grapefruit, biscuity malt with a piney, floral finish. Very impressive bitterness levels that cling to your tongue. Mouthfeel is rich, carbonation levels medium and smooth. Fantastically drinkable, even with its aggressive flavors. The best double IPA I have had. Truly world class.

tronester, Aug 31, 2008
4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

Glowing orange tint and a lively head with impressive retention. Another aromatic bomb from Stone. If you can manage to think past the in-your-face hoppy pine scent, you can uncover some grapefruit and peach. Taste=hops. And not just hops but IMMENSE hops, that somehow refrains from over-bitterness. My brain is screaming at the taste buds to man up, but the tongue does begin to sting a little from the hop fission reaction. I could drink a lot of these. In fact, I need to go buy another 6 right now.
Welcome to Hop Heaven.

itcomesnpints, Aug 31, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Dark brownish orange if you let the light shine through it. Smell is like hop and honey. My Dad didn't like this one. This beer is very hoppy bitter with a bit of a sweet finish, if I could discern the sweet taste a bit more it would be perfect, overall thoug, it's still pretty tasty and I'm glad I have a case of it keeping my 120 ipa case company. Mouth feel was bubbly and oily. They called it a liquid poem to hops, yeah I agree, though it's not my favorite IPA, I like it though.

hdofu, Aug 30, 2008
3.6/5  rDev -16.3%

Not a bad brew. I would prefer the Stone IPA. I felt this was lacking in hops, but made up for it in the alcohol content. I am better for trying it, and if this and the 'Busch boys' offering were all I had I would take this. IF your looking for a buzz I'm sure this would work, but I probably won't be buying it again.

therealmccoy3, Aug 28, 2008
4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

Grabbed a 6 of this one from a local liquor store. Though it was in a freezer, it had collected some serious dust.

Had tried this one before, but didn't remember it tasting quite this incredible!

Pours a cloudy copper orange with minimum head and the lace lingered as I drank.

Smelled very floral and somewhat sweet.

The mouthfeel of the beer is excellent. Very citrusy/piney tasting hops. Definitely on the hoppy side of IPA's even, but its the perfect balance of bitter hops, sweet citrus and alcohol. The carbonation is just right. The ABV is a tad under 8%, although you can't tell from drinking it as its simply one of the easiest and tastiest beers to drink of its strength.

One of my favorite IPA's for sure.

j37geogaddi, Aug 26, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

a: pours a dense off-white head with quality retention roused by each tilt of the glass, the beer is an amber-golden hay in color

s: boatloads of tropical hops at first whiff...papaya, passionfruit, grapefruit mango...pale caramel malt backbone, honeydew melon, perhaps some mild fir, not terribly complex but a terrific showcase of hops

m: carbonation delicate and on the low side, light-medium body, glides gently and effortlessly across the tongue and down the gullet

t: just delicious, tropical fruit hops upfront with some pine coming out in the end, pale malt sweetness, perfectly bitter at the finish, straightforward deliciousness

d: nearly a 5 and perhaps some future experiments will prove it so, a breeze, will be purchasing more in the near future

this beer reminded me a lot of Two Hearted

single from Whole Foods Reston

blackie, Aug 26, 2008
4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

(Before I get into this, it is possible that this was a less than perfect sample. It may have been on a shelf for longer than one would hope.)

A - Golden, slightly cloudy with a great head and long lasting lacing.

S - Slightly fruity hops, woody, sweet.

T - This beer was not as hoppy as expected. The malts and sweet alcohol dominate. Deep maltiness with hints of woodiness and honey, sweet floral aromatic, followed by slightly spicy, rindy citrus hops. The hops come out more in the finish, with a lingering bitterness on your tongue.

This is a delicious and highly drinkable beer, but not the powerhouse I expected. I enjoyed this IPA and was pleasantly surprised by how it kept some of the better characteristics of a double IPA in a toned down version.

Bottom line: Skip the shpiel on the back and enjoy this moderately hoppy and delicious IPA!

Ryanbob, Aug 26, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

Oh, Ruination... If you like IPA's (and doubles), you've probably already had this stuff. What can I say that hasn't already been posted by everyone here -- Stone makes some of the best west-coast IPA's there are. Ruination is no joke -- read the label, it tells you where the name came from and it's right on. You are hit with one of the hoppiest, most grapefruity tastes in the world of IPAs as soon as this hits your palate. The aromas coming out of it are unreal. One of the more drinkable doubles out there as <8%, and won't knock you over like a DFH 90min will. It's a heavy citrus-y smell and taste, and literally a double-IPA defined imho. Pour it into a snifter or goblet and just take in the aromas and enjoy it slowly at first, you will fall in love. As usual, great job Stone.

chuckd123, Aug 26, 2008
4.72/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Light orange color with a nice sticky head considering the abv. Carmel malts are followed by a strong rush of floral hops. Nice gradual hop bitterness that is tasted long into the aftertaste. Strong hops as expected but also balanced nicely for an IIPA. Excellent! I don't think Stone ever disappoints.

changeup45, Aug 24, 2008
4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

This one pours a orangish yellow with a white head that fades fast but leaves lacing. Smells sweet and hoppy, some malt characters. The flavor is very similar, lots of sweet flavor, good hop balance. Not as potent of a hop flavor as I thought, but still flavorful and full. A good balance, medium light body, great mouthfeel. This one is a good beer, easy drinker, higher ABV then normal. Another great beer from Stone.

wingman14, Aug 24, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

One of the most beautiful looking beers I've seen. Crystalline orange-yellow with continuous streams of fine bubbles and a pillowy, clinging head. This is all about the piney hops -- lots on the nose, lots on the tongue. This sits on top of the classic "solid malt backbone." Finishes sharp and crisp, with a lingering warming sensation.

Flyer, Aug 20, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +7%

I go the Growler at Hopcat in Grand Rapids. They have had this on tap for the last few weeks.

A: Great lacing with a thin white head (due to my pouring abilities) translucent golden straw color

S: Hops, Hops and more hops slightly citrus with just a slight carmel aroma.

T: Starts as a clean pale ale, then with seconds the hops start to to come in with a citrus bitter bite that carries through that beer to finish and leaves a wonderful after taste

M: Great carbonation and great bite of the hop bitterness

D: I love this beer, but it will kill your taste for anything else that you will drink for the day.

Roeters, Aug 20, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a rich yellow-amber color with a nice white head. It's definitely not as dark as I thought it would be. The nose is absolutely incredible: heavy on the pine, very floral, and very perfume-like. Other notes come through as well...things like grass and lemon peel (strong). The taste is fucking ridiculous as well. Holy shit! It's wonderfully hoppy and bitter, but like everything Stone does, it is perfectly balanced and so damn smooth. One aspect of the beer doesn't overpower any other aspect, and that is what makes the Ruination so unbelievable. As for drinkability, it has one of the widest ranges of settings I can think of, and with a 7.7% abv, it's possible to drink more of this than other equally as rich tasting beers that can be in the 10%+ range. It could go well in just about any situation.

Awesome beer...I could drink this everyday.

Douglas14, Aug 20, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Bomber!! High degree of anticipation for this baby. I suspect it will be a great end to a long day.

Poured into my trusty Stone pint glass. Less head than expected, but I may have poured too gingerly out of nervousness in the presence of a killer. **Note: second pour produced the head I expected. Foggy orange caramel color. Seems clear at the bottom and hazy upwards.

I smell a fresh cut lawn. Or lemon. Or grapefruit. Ok, I don't friggin know but its something fresh cut. I love the scent.

Taste is Bang! Zoom!...To the moon Alice! This sumbitch will make you pucker. A happy yum-yum kind of pucker. Proudly proclaiming 100+ IBUs. Well 200 IBUs would be 100+. Wonderfully bitter. Even the burps smell good. And bitter. I take a sip and think the bitterness has subsided so I take another sip and realize oh hell no it hasn't.

Drinkability? I just don't know. I love the taste and keep sipping away relentlessly. I could probably sip on this all night. I wonder how many bombers I could take down. I would probably stand up, beat my chest, and boast about drinking six of them, then finish one and a half. No, two, because I'd sooner die than waste some of this shit.

Overall: awesome

PatronWizard, Aug 19, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

From the beginning this brew seduces me with its alluring honey color. It pours nicely as most Stone brews do and the generous head laces well. On the nose is a strong but not sharp floral hops and grapefruit. Medium bodied and great mouthfeel. Great flavors of fresh hops, apricot, hints of pineapple. Uncommonly smooth for an IPA and appropriately dry. Classic, challenging, impressive and true to both brewery and breed.

thekevlarkid, Aug 19, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle purchased at Derby Street Liquors, Hingham MA.

Appearance: Opaque amber. Very thick head. Nice lacing.

Smell: Exceptional. Very citrusy, like a fresh cut lemon. Bright and unbelievably inviting.

Taste: Citrus dominates, like drinking a beer made with lemonade instead of water. Nice earthy hops aftertaste is reminiscent of resh lemon zest. Bitterness of 100+ IBUs is well hidden in this pleasant tasting IPA.

Mouthfeel: Slightly creamy, smooth and even.

Drinkability: This is still my favorite IPA to date. Stop reading this review and go open a bottle!

drinksandeats, Aug 13, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +3%

This beer pours a nice light clousy amber with a half a finder white head. The smell is beautiful! You can smell the hops along with the toasted malts as well as some citrusy smells. For such a high IBU beer this is VERY smooth. The mixture of the citrusy hops flavor and the toasted malts flavor are beutifully balanced. The mouthfeel is nice a slight, I just ate grapefruit aftertaste but a VERY smooth beer for such a high IBU rating. I am certain I could polish off a couple of these in a night but I would have to mix and match them with something sweet. A beautiful beer YUM!

Biggness, Aug 13, 2008
4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured into a snifter, a hazy orange color with a 1/4 inch of foam and light lacing. An excellent color for DIPA, and something to be marveled. The smell is out of this world. Citrus fruits, orange and lemon at the front, followed by some grapefruit, a ton of piney resin, and a nice alcoholic note. The aroma of this bad boy is PERFECT. Taste is hops and more hops. Big, juicy, and extremely bitter. It's like chewing on a bitter orange peel followed by a grapefruit rind. Pine sap takes third place, followed by a short-lived malt sweetness that pops it's head in, and is quickly chopped off by the hops. Mouthfeel is slick, medium to full-bodied, and nice amount of carbonation. Very oily from the hops, but only adds to the hop flavor. It's blistering on the tongue. While the ABV is not outrageous, it can be felt in the nice warming in the mouth and throat. This, mixed with numbing affect of the hops, keeps drinkability low, but worth savoring.

I sometimes dislike it when a DIPA is all hops and no malt. This one definitely has that aura about, but that's what the brewers were going for. It's unbalanced for my personal taste, but it's a hop-head's wet-dream. I enjoyed it greatly, but prefer their standard IPA.

KeefD, Aug 13, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

A - Light orange with 2 fingers of white head that leave sticky lacing everywhere.

S - Hoppy with resiny pine, oily grapefruit, sticky citrus and a touch of pineapple. Some caramel malt is noticeable.

T - Juicy, floral, grapefruit and piney hops with some caramel malt sweetness for balance.

M - Medium body, creamy but slightly sticky with a dry lingering hop finish.

D - Balanced which makes it easy to have more than one but it does hold true to its name and ruin your palette with all the sticky hops.

brewcrew76, Aug 13, 2008
Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.