Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
4.43/5  rDev +3%

Poured into a snifter, presenting a somewhat cloudy deep peach color with a thin white head that vanished quickly to a sheen, leaving some moderate lacing behind. I thought I'd see more head. The smell was a highly aromatic combination of piney and floral notes with sharp, grapefruity hoppiness. The taste was a bold complex panoply of malty sweetness and citric acidity with a strong, dry, extraordinarily bitter, hoppy finish. Extraordinary balance. The mouthfeel, however, was a glaring weakness and keeps this selection out of my pantheon. Very flat -- I didn't expect a lot of carbonation with a DIPA, but certainly more than I got. Kind of the consistency of a thick apple juice. Perhaps a bad bottle? I'm going to have to assume so (one of the downsides of Julio's in Westboro, Mass. -- despite their famous selection, I've had an awful lot of bad bottles there -- but I guess BeerFly is the place for that). Anyway, despite the lack of physical zest -- and again, I don't want too much in a DIPA -- it's drinkable and refreshing. The dry, hoppy, bitter finish leaves me puckering for more.

I wish I had another handy. And I wish I didn't have to get up at 5 AM tomorrow or I'd go and get myself another one.

eberkman, Jun 12, 2007
3.55/5  rDev -17.4%

Pours with 1/4 inch light head, light retention, clear orange/tan.

Aroma of heavy citrus, floral, honey, grapefruit hop notes.

Flavor of citrus and floral notes, mild malt backbone, fairly bitter but compliments flavor. Not as aggressive as the label suggests.

Overall fairly drinkable, not as pallate ruining as Stone purports. Decent pale ale, nothing spectacular.

BrewMonkey, Jun 11, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured out of a bomber. The brew poured a clear golden-orange color with a nice fluffy cream colored head which dissipated into a small cap. Not as much lacing as I would expect. The smell is of citrus/grapefruit, grapefruit rind, and caramel malt. The grapefruit hop flavor blasts your palate. a bit of pine and resin. The bitter blast is followed by a semi-offsetting caramel sweetness. Definitely not as sweet as other ADIPAs, which is good in my book. I find that overly sweet IPAs bring the drinkability down. This brew has a nice balance. The feel is moderately bodied and has a creamy feel. It is bitter but doesn't blast your taste buds. This is probably the best IPA that I have tried. I wouldn't want to drink a lot of these in a session but a 22oz bomber goes down nice and easy.

Gmann, Jun 09, 2007
4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

Tried this one on tap at Mad Mex in Columbus, Ohio.

Appearance: A cloudy dark orange with a fluffy white head that left some very nice lacing.

Smell: Hops were quite lemony but not overpowering. Not quite indicative of the hop assault that you experience in the taste. Subtle and pleasant.

Taste: Oh Boy. Comes on just gradual enough to pull the many complex flavors. Hops were juicy and citrusy, with nice floral notes. For as hoppy as this beer is though, I also thought that it was pretty well balanced with decent malt presence for the style. Long hoppy finish lets you appreciate this one long after your last sip. (By the way, as other reviewers note this one does mellow out as it warms, letting you get past the initial hop puch about half way through.)

Mouthfeel- Very smooth, with good carbonation.

At 7.7% this is still quite drinkable. One hell of a hoppy brew, but an outstanding taste that dwarfs other IPAs. All others pale in comparison.

OSUbrewman, Jun 09, 2007
3.93/5  rDev -8.6%

This is a hoppy beer that does mellow a bit as it warms. It pours a nice orange with some head and not much lacing. The smell is very nice, hops, sweet malts, citrus, grass. The taste is a bit too hoppy for me right out of the refrigerator, but as the beer warms its true character emerges. There is a very nice sweetness that complements the hoppy bitterness. It is medium to full bodied and the sweetness works with the consistency of the beer and reminds me of some of the weaker barley wines I've tried; we are not talking syrupy barley wine here, but there is some hints at it. The hoppy esters remain on the tongue and the after taste is not nearly as bitter as one would expect with this hoppy brew. This has been a nice change of pace for me, since I've been reviewing really bland Saranac summer ales the past few days. L'Chaim

albern, Jun 08, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +4%

Poured from the 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Bright orange body topped by a couple of fingers of thick, sticky white head that takes its sweet time in melting away, leaving some nice lacing on the glass. Aroma of assertive, piney, bitter hops, which pretty much overpower any other nuance that may be presence. A little bit of sweet malt comes through, along with some grapefruit notes and a whiff of alcohol.
Palate is actually somewhat balanced up front, with a light malty sweetness counteracting the hop assault. Never fear, though - the serious bitterness soon takes over, coating the entire mouth in lupulin-laced delight. A mild citrus flavor comes through on the finish.
Body is sticky, but not too thick - just about right for an imperial IPA. Highly drinkable for such a strong, bitter beer. Well done.

ElGordo, Jun 08, 2007
4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Presentation: 22 oz bomber, no dating of any kind, poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear pale copper color. The head formed thick but faded quickly into a layer on top that retained nicely.

Aroma: Lots and lots of hops, mainly floral, very inviting.

Taste: Faint malt character at the beginning, but then the hops take over. Again mainly floral and citrus, not as bitter as one would imagine but the flavor really packs a punch. The finish is all hops, slightly bitter, and hangs around for a while. My taste buds are tingling right now.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, very smooth. The carbonation balanced out nicely as well, enough to let you know it's there but not so much that it interferes.

Overall: This beer is a hop-head's dream come true. Leave it for the end of the night, though, as the name "ruination" fits quite well.

FenwaySquid, Jun 06, 2007
4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

Big thanks to my little bro "The Major" for hooking me up with a boat load of Stone stuff, still have the DB and the Russian IMP to try yet, oh boy! Well, I may be a newly converted hop-head. The bottle said if you are new to big hops maybe don't start here, well I am, and I did, and I don't regret it in the slightest. Amber in color bubbly head with great lacing. Smell is floral, citric, hops. Taste is great, not over-powering in the bitterness dept. and has a nice malt character. This is a standout beer and if anything may just "Ruin" me for other IPAs.

jp62099, Jun 06, 2007
3.68/5  rDev -14.4%

Pours cloudy amber with a thinnish resinous head, a giant clump of soap bubbles, and lacing out the ass. Very nice but standard DIPA appearance.

Aroma is all hops, grapefruit with a little grassiness. There's a little hint of tropical aroma-- mandarin orange and mango.

Opens up with fruity, hop-derived sweetness that fades into heavy bitterness. Biterness lasts for ages. Hops pretty much run the whole flavor profile, but flavor-hopping is a decent match for bittering. Mouthfeel is creamy and oily, with very light carbonation.

Drinkable for a double IPA, and ridiculously drinkable for a Stone beer.

This is way, WAY better than the Stone IPA.

NOTE: After warming up to a little under room temp, the bitterness really starts to take over. I think having this beer fridged actually made it more complex because it kept the bittering balanced-- a lot of the nice stuff I tasted before is getting harder to pick out. I hate to do it, but I have to dock this beer for taste and drinkability. For the love of God, Stone, PUT YOUR HOPS IN LATER.

(But this is still better than the IPA, and for that matter all of the other Stone beers I've tasted other than the imperial stout.)

kajerm, May 31, 2007
4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured from a bomber into a Stone glass.

Pours a cloudy orange/gold with a 2 finger slightly off-white head that is a little chunky. Head dissipates rather quickly. Lots of carbonation seen rising. A nice beer to look at.

Aroma is hops, citrus and a sort of honey sweetness.

Taste is of hops, sweet malts, citrus, piney. Actually, I was expecting to be blown away by overpowering hops, and this is not the case [I'm not a hophead, so this is good]. I found this quite nicely balanced.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, cleansing, dry and quite smooth.

Overall, I liked this even more than I was expecting. Very drinkable. Very refreshing.

atigerlife, May 27, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Served slightly chilled in a pint glass from a twenty two ounce bottle. Poured a clear golden copper like color. About three quarters of an inch of thick bubbly off-white head formed. Smelled hoppy, piney, malty and bready. Taste was equally as pleasing. Nice smooth piney hops with short citrus tones. Nice malty character that balanced it out well . Somewhat yeasty and earthy. Had a bitter hoppy bite in the finish. Alcohol was very mild in the mouth. Medium amount of carbonation. Mouthfeel was full bodied, somewhat thick, and actually quite refreshing. Drinkability was good. A very solid brew from Stone.

jaxon53, May 27, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

A nice white head tops this giant of an IPA off, with a nice lacing as the beer quickly vanished from my glass. The beer has a nice looking amber glow to it, and has a smell filled of hops and maybe some grapefruit? The front end of the taste is nothing but hops (maybe some caramel with it) as it rolls down your tongue, as the back end finishes with oranges and spices. Very drinkable, hard to put down, this beer feels great in my mouth, with little notice to the fact of the higher alcohol content. A good beer that I might be picking up more often.

ekempey, May 26, 2007
4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

Having recently tried a wide variety of IPA's, I decided to give this bad boy (7.70% abv) a try. Pour was good, nice foamy head, amber color, slightly fruity smell. I agree with several other reviewers that it has a slight grapefruit-like taste. The flavor is hoppy and complex, but not too strong on impact, and no lingering aftertaste. It is a very smooth IPA, in fact, and less bitter than some. I enjoyed this beer a lot. Would buy again!

cbrakel, May 26, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

It's time to show my manhood by finally giving this brew a test drive. On to the beer:

Light orange in color with some blonde hues and a creamy head that leaves lacing all over the glass as it's sipped. Hops are certainly present in the smell, with a metallic twist and a hint of melon. The flavor - hop attack! As intense as the taste is, there's something about it that makes me want to take another gulp. The bitterness lasts long on the palate, interrupted by the occasional tropical Gummi-Saver flavor to keep me going. I didn't get much of a malty backbone, but lots of pine and citurs. Be sure to train your palate before jumping into this one. (updated 8-29-08)

DoubleJ, May 24, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +3%

Poured into nonic pint from bomber.

A- Burn straw color with a light small white head that lasted thru sample. Good carbonation.

S- A great hoppy grapefruit smell that was very inviting to a hophead.

T- Both pine and grapefruit with a resiny aftertaste.

M- Thick and full; exactly what you would expect from a Stone beer.

D- A great beer IMHO. The alcohol is there (7.7), but it is well hidden under the hops. This is another fine Stone product that I will have to try ontap soon.

mobud, May 21, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured a deep amber hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was good retention and lacing.

The smell was upfront sticky oily citrus and peppery hop.

The taste was also upfront heavy hops. Piney, citrus, peppery - you name it. Mild alcohol warmth.

The mouthfeel was full and a bit chewy even.

Overall a superior DIPA.

plaid75, May 21, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured into a Watou chalice, the head is light and one finger thin but nicely frothy and creates adequate lacing. Deep orange in color but not quite amber. Just how an IPA should look.

Wonderful aroma, smooth floral notes up front with thin pine hop finish.

Taste...oh wonderful taste. The hops definitely stand out as the should, but you can really taste the hop flavor without receiving too much bitter punch though it definitely packs one. Very nice balance, smooth flower and citrus with a tight hop finish. Hints of orange and grapefruit.

Medium body, smooth and creamy but not thick at all. Very crisp and refreshing dry finish.

This is such a great, mouthwatering IPA. The ABV is reasonable as well which makes this a very sessionable beer. I could drink this all day long. Great hop flavor but not overkill. Doesn't numb your tastebuds. Definitely give it a shot it's a fantastic brew.

greenbeaner, May 19, 2007
4.55/5  rDev +5.8%

I just realized I'd never reviewed a Stone beer on BA, despite Stone being one of the great little breweries (little back in the days when I had my first Smoked Porter at least) that got me into craft beer, so I decided to break out with a Ruination tonight.

Beer pours a great pale ale color, a nice golden shade. A beer with this much hop could easily also get a good dose of darker malt and grain to even it out, but Ruination doesn't, and stays a great pale shade. The smell is great, I can detect hop aromas as soon as the bottle is opened, still a couple feet from my nose. Big citrus and pine aromas dominate. Heavenly.

Sure its got some pucker-inducing bitter, but really its the great hop flavor that dominates over the bitterness and the slight toasty malt notes. Big citrus, herbal, and floral tastes overwhelm all else. A liquid poem to the glory of the hop indeed.

Mouthfeel is good, have to watch for astringency on a beer like this, but it avoids that well. Drinkability is great for a stronger, hoppy beer. I've gotten on a little run of pints of Ruination before and it doesn't get much better than this.

Pooba001, May 18, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +3.5%

A - Poured carefully into a room temperature, 10 oz. fluted glass, the white head is small, but fluffy, and diminishes quickly with little lacing. The color is a murky deep orange, not quite amber. The cloudiness is intriguing in an IPA.

S - even the scent on this brew is muti-tiered, with a heavy hops prescense, but a deep tone of grapefruit and walnut cask aging.

T - it starts sweet on the front of the tongue, and converts the entire landscape to bitterness. The long, long finish is slightly acidic, but by no means in a bad way.

M - a light, dry body with a soft carbonation. It has some great drinkability level, but you have o be a hop head first, as the label states.

D - oh, boy, I can't really expand too much on that. Yes, you can drink of this. This brew takes alot of levels of flavor, and amplifies them beyonf nuances, and ,makes them major playres.

boelker62, May 18, 2007
4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours into a pint glass, pours an amazing peach color with a fluffy head that leaves some thick and heavy lace. Intense smell of some serious hops very citrusy and weedy. Taste is also very bitter no alcohol detected adn simply well balanced for a serious tasting ipa, little bubbles of carbonation dance upward in the glass. The beer is very smooth and goes down all to well, I could drink this all day , "liquid sex." I can taste sweet nector followed by intense bitterness; awesome crafted and a damn fine ipa.

gunnerman, May 17, 2007
4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

I was very surprised when I poured this IPA. The head that was produced was a bit thinner than I expected. It was only about a finger thick, with the whole 22oz bomber poured out in to a liter stein glass. The head sticks pretty good to the end though, and is nearly pure white. The body of this brew is mildly cloudy and orangish in color, with a light amount of CO2 action.

This gives off grassy and piney aromas right off the bat. Very hop dominant in the nose at the initial crack before the pour. There is also a strong pronounced lemon fragrance here too.

I taste the very dominate hops characters of spicy pine and lemon.

This is actually quite nice. It doesn't feel as dry as most double IPAs and finishes warmly from the moderate amount of alcohol.

Overall a great IPA and I'd gladly have seconds.

TheSarge, May 17, 2007
4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours a crystal-clear copper color with a nice 2-finger beige head.

Aroma is immediately (and I mean when you open the bottle) of super piney hops. If you spend some time analyzing the hop aroma, I believe you can detect several different types interlaced. Perhaps it's my imagination. Usually there's a bit of grapefruit or citrus in the aroma of an IPA, but this one was pure, piney, beautiful hops.

Taste is of. Um. Hops. Lots of delicious hops. Piney at first, more citrus comes out as the glass warms. Much fun was had attempting to guess the types of hops I was tasting. I don't know about what these other reviewers were saying about malt. Is there malt in here? Hello? Malt? Are you there? No answer.

Mouthfeel is peppery, spicy, with a slightly oily ending. The hops excite the tongue like they should in a good IPA.

Drinkability? Well. You know. You can't have more than one of these. Unless.. well.. we won't talk about that.

kosmoraios, May 16, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

Appearance- Pours a very clear amber/orange, with continueing efervecance and a an off-white head that is bigger than the whole outdoors. Attempts to stick to the sides of the glass, but the head is so heavy that it leaves very little lacing.

Aroma- Incredibly fresh hops with undertones of pine, and a very nice malt sweetness. Also a tad of citrusy hops as it warms.

Taste- WOW! Huge hop flavors dominate everything. You can sense a subtle underlying malt and malt sweetness character, but hops almost overpower the maltiness of it. You also get hints of an earthiness that is incredibly enticing. If you are a hophead, you will love this.

Mouthfeel- Fairly thick without being heavy. Just the perfect amount of carbonation to make it dance over your toungue without deadening your tastebuds.

Drinkability- Not great. As a hop-head, Ilove it, but a full bottle will give me heartburn. One is the perfect amount tho!!!!

theopholis, May 15, 2007
3.8/5  rDev -11.6%

Pours out a copper-toned marmalade with no bubbles in the body and a decent sized head that fizzles to next to nothing. I've had DIPAs with higher abvs that have better heads than this. Smell has a general sweet to it, with tons of citrus and earth from the hops. Has a medicinal alcohol smell, which is disappointing considering the relatively low abv on this one. This one tastes rather sweet and a little tart. Some toastiness is welcome. Loads of hop flavor. Tons of grapefruit and tangerine. Doesn't get really bitter, but there is a pleasant lingering bitter after each sip. This can't be 100+ IBUs. Has a slight medicinal quality which makes it not totally work for me. Mouthfeel is excellent, and what I typically look for in a DIPA. Moderate to full body with a buzzing carbonation. I like this as it isn't really over-the-top. Tasty beer, but the medicinal quality starts to work on me after a while.

goochpunch, May 09, 2007
4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Beer poured a somewhat clear golden color into a pint glass with not too much of a white head to speak of. The aroma was excellent-- citrus, pine, earth, and a certain sweetness added for good measure.

This is a tasty DIPA, but it is a bit similar to others I've had. There's a big, pounding influence from the pine and citrus hops, that is counteracted by a cloying sweetness. Earthy and biscuity, this beer wraps your tastebuds into submission, but that certainly isn't a bad thing. Mouthfeel is oily, but crisp and full bodied. This is a drinkable beer, even at the high ABV. Overall it's an excellent, if a bit too standard, DIPA.

BBM, May 08, 2007
Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.