Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

pDev: 10%
Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
OStrungT

4.63/5  rDev +7.7%

This beer popurs a golden brown color with a fluffy wihte head. The head fades slowly, leaving many thick laces.

This beer has a very plesent hoppy aroma. I detect some piney scents. Also, grassy hops are present. I slight citrus aroma is also present.

This beer tastes great. I taste pine up front. Behind that, I get a strong grassy hop flavor. The alcohol is only slightly detectable in the flavor. This beer is very well balanced. A cirtus grapefruit flavor is also detectable.

This full bodied beer is surprisingly smooth. It leaves a piney aftertaste. It is carbonated well.

This beer might not be the best session beer because it is a little high in alcohol. Also, the flavor might become a little overbearing after some time. Ultimately, this is a great beer.

06-01-2006 02:27:17 | More by OStrungT
instrumentality

3.53/5  rDev -17.9%

Let me start off by saying that Stone Brewing Company has quickly become one of my favorite breweries. Up until now, they have yet to fail to impress me with any of their offerings.

The Ruination IPA is an exception, and a highly disappointing one at that, given that I love IPA's and especially the regular Stone IPA.

The beverage poured a transparent, light, golden-carmelly sort of color, with carbonation bubbling continuously to the surface. It carried a thick, foamy, off-white head that settled to about 1/2" with lace clinging to the sides of the glass.

The odor was, as expected, a strong smell of piney hops.

My first impression upon tasting this beverage was positive. It had a similar piney, hoppy flavor to the standard Stone IPA, but there was something extra in there, a slight creaminess with a hint of caramel that I never would have expected from this style.

But then, back came the hops, burrowing their way into my tongue and the roof of my mouth, where they refused to settle down. As much as I love a good hoppy beer, I'm not big on the bitter, skunky residue left behind by this one. I find Stone IPA to be a much cleaner, crisper beer that's actually refreshing despite the bitterness, and one where you actually have to take another sip to replenish the bitterness. This one just pummels the palate mercilessly.

As I continued to drink, I also found that I wasn't quite so appreciative of that creaminess and caramel flavor, as it seemed to clash with the caked-in bitterness that had taken control of the inside of my mouth.

Overall, this wasn't a bad beer--I was able to finish the bottle, and I've recently begun to allow myself to dump beers down the sink when they really aren't doing it for me. It was just a bit too much of an assault on my taste buds. Maybe this is what I should expect from a double IPA--I believe this is my first. Again, Stone IPA is my favorite IPA and probably in my top 5 beers periods, but perhaps this is my limit in the hops department. I think I've also found that I don't want anyone messing with my hops by throwing in creamy caramel-ness (as with the Ruination) or pear-ness (as with the Avery Maharaja).

I'll give it another try and update my review if I find that it grows on me; I owe Stone that much.

05-30-2006 22:54:31 | More by instrumentality
ultralarry2006

4.47/5  rDev +4%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle. Left a one finger head with some retention and some lacing here and there. Color was a yellowy-almost-orange amber.

Smell - Piney, piney, piney. Some bread, caramel.

Taste - bitter pine, bitter pine again, resin, and some bready, caramelly malt quietly balancing pine. Piney, resiny, finish and aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - full, smooth, low carbonation, a little chewy, some hop oil slickness, pleasantly bitter with some pleasant drying.

Drinkability - goes down easy, tastes good and with low abv for a DIPA, I could go for another 22 oz. bomber in any given session.

05-30-2006 19:32:26 | More by ultralarry2006
petemorris

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%

While I cut my craft-beer teeth two decades ago on Sierra Nevada's hoppy pale ale, I can't really call myself a hophead by today's rather ambitious standards. Thus, with a bias toward "balanced" beers rather than more extreme offerings, and with a lukewarm response to Stone's Arrogant Bastard (which I find way too harshly bitter), I wasn't very optimistic about Stone's facefull-of-hops iconic DIPA. But man is this one outstanding beer! The hop aroma upon opening and pouring is indeed in your face. It's an aroma I enjoy while brewing beer, but much like black pepper and vanilla when cooking, I'd rather it be tempered and blended with other ingredients when actually drinking beer. In other words, not unpleasant, just out of place. But that's the last of my complaints. The bitterness is definitely pronounced, but the beer remains surprisingly drinkable. There are some really good sweet, biscuity malt undertones to this beer, as well as an appropriate amount of alcoholic warmth. Moreover, the longer one lingers over this beer, the more those malt aromas and flavors come through, making for an amazingly balanced beer (for something that claims >100 IBUs) and a relatively drinkable one, too, at least for a beer of its strength. I'm still not much of a fan of Stone's imagery (gargoyles, dare-you-to-drink-me marketing type/hype), but a great beer will always rise above its packaging.

05-30-2006 03:21:27 | More by petemorris
oelergud

Orange golden hazy body on the first pour. Second pour was clear. Light tan head that dissipates quickly to a thick float with mostly tiny bubbles with small ones clustering, ok lace. Low carbonation.
Very interesting and tempting scent. Citrus, grass and orange flower. Hops are clearly in the forefront and lend a mild spiced and citric character to the smell.
Strong powerful hops up front which seem to quickly progress into the lingering aftertaste of mellow yet spiked hop oils. Faint vanilla, almond skin and marzipan.
Full body and slick. Good coating.
Interesting brew. Fully hopped and delicious.

-Oelergud

05-29-2006 00:43:01 | More by oelergud
kirok1999

4.47/5  rDev +4%

I expected a monster and got a gentle giant.

Appearance- Pours a slightly cloudy ruddy gold, nice white head that clings slightly.

Smell- I expected nothing but hop bitterness but there was a huge amout of malt sweetness. Lots of citrus, floral, woody hops with the malt sweetness to back it up.

Taste- Huge, huge, huge. Malt sweetness begins, the hops battle through nicely. Citrus, perfumey floral, slightly grassy hops, and surprisingly, tons of malt to balance it all out.

Mouthfeel- Crisp, clean, and devastating on the tongue. This one assaults you from the start and doesn't let up for a minute. Rolls down and leaves you wanting more.

Drinkability- Love it. Don't plan on drinking anything else after this one, but you won't want to. I could drink a few of these with no problem. Not nearly as bitter as the >100 IBU would imply due to the massive malts. One of the best.

05-27-2006 00:43:59 | More by kirok1999
CRJMellor

Arkansas

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours an orange and golden amber color with a 2 finger bright white head.
Aroma is full of citrus and pine notes with a hint of resin as well.
Flavor is succulent yet lip puckering citurs fruit with a bitter bite with lots of hop oils curshing the tongue. almost felt like I needed a napkin and a glass of wate to get through this one. Some caramel underpinings alos present.
Mouthfeel is medium-bodied yet absolutely palate coating in its intensity. Combines grapefruit with hop oil and spicy resins. Hop lovers experiment for sure.
Drinkability is very high, although unless you have some spciy fodd to accompany it, you can write our taste buds off for the rest of the evening/day whatever. Powerful stuff but oodly thirst quenching as well. Very solid job by Stone folks.

05-26-2006 19:04:16 | More by CRJMellor
normZurawski

3.38/5  rDev -21.4%

After all this time, Stone finally comes to New Jersey. All the hype, all the waiting, for...this? There is one word to describe this beer - bitter, bitter, bitter. The front of this is tasty, an almost smooth combination of flavors that instantly hit your tongue. But the follow though is such a broadside of bitterness that anything good gets wiped out almost instantly. There seems to be a trick in drinking this. Wash it out on the side of your tongue quickly then swallow. That way, not so much of the bitterness lingers in the mouth. But then, you're pounding the beer, not allowing the taste to linger in your mouth. For me, that's not the desired intent. That's generally how you drink straight vodka.

I don't know what it is about these Stone beers. But when I finally get my hands on some of their top offerings, they never fail to disappoint. Maybe expectations are a bit high. But really, no matter I expect such a strong bitterness is going to hinder anything I drink. Maybe I'm an East Coast hack, unable to appreciate the West Coast brilliance. Or maybe this beer just doesn't do it for me.

05-26-2006 00:10:58 | More by normZurawski
Dogbrick

4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

Cask version at Barley’s 4th Annual Mini RAF (05/13/06): Easily the best beer at the event, it almost seemed unfair. Luckily it was not a competition though. Pours cloudy orange/amber with a fluffy off-white head with good retention. Quick, thin lacing. Robust hops and citrus aroma. Rich, smooth body with an achingly good hops flavor, full of citrus and floral notes. Some malt and caramel flavor in the background as well. The cask-conditioning does wonders for this beer's drinkability, and it is frighteningly easy to drink to begin with. The finish is smooth with a lingering hops taste that begs you to keep drinking. Superb.

05-25-2006 16:22:45 | More by Dogbrick
beerphilosopher

4.6/5  rDev +7%

Ahhh yes, my first experience with the infamous "Ruination." Ominous-looking bomber bottle, 22oz'er. I dig the rough textured label. Intentional? Anyway, pours a crystal clear tangerine orange color, with a white, rocky head. Thin lacing, and good retention. Nose ... I could smell this one immediately when the bottle was rendered capless! Citrus, pine, and sweet malt-like overload! I could tell this one was gonna be something special. Palate didn't disappoint ... hardcore hop bitterness, overwhelmingly citrus fruit-laden complexity. Curiously, there is a decided sweet malt subtlety underneath all the hop heaviness as well. This one hits you hard, knocks you down, then picks you back up again. Incredibly complex ...not just a "let's see how much hop punch we can get in here" kind of brew. Finished very clean, with a lot of residual fruity notes, along with a pleasant hop aftertaste. I'd say this is medium-bodied, and only lightly carbonated. This is really a masterful double IPA in my estimation ... I'm fascinated with the sheer hop power this beer has, while managing to maintain a subtle malt character at the same time. The combination is very "juice-like" to me ... moreso as it warms a bit. An incredible brew. If you're into hops, get it NOW. If you're not, it may just be complex enough for you to appreciate none the less ... my wife, for example, doesn't care for hoppy beers typically ... she liked this one, believe it or not. Superb!

05-24-2006 21:33:38 | More by beerphilosopher
sinistrsam

Maryland

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured a hazy copper-orange, with a huge off white foamy head, sticks around for a while. Good lacing throughout the tasting.
Aroma was a kick in the face of piney hops, mild fruits, not much malt. Hops and more hops, mild alcohol.
A bitter, piney hoppiness immediately gets you here, then blends into a sour sweetness, maybe citrus and other fruits? Once agian not much maltiness. Alcohol is noticable. Very good feel; bitter and sour, yes, but balanced well with mild sweet fruits and carbonation.
I had a bomber of this guy and what it says on the back was true; you're taste buds are destroyed after a few glasses let alone the whole thing. Plus the 7.7% AABV doesn't help matters. It's a phenomenal beer to drink, but in moderation. Hats off once again to one of my favorite breweries.

05-23-2006 16:59:36 | More by sinistrsam
BradBLR

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

This is a great beer. The color of this beer is a dark yellow color and it almost has an oily lite appearance. The head was thick and lasted most of glass.

The smell a strong hoppy aroma with a slight floral background. Taste was all hops, but balanced nicely with the malt. Very smoothe for such a hoppy beer. The mouthfeel was great, thick like I think a double IPA should be.

Over all a great beer when you are in the mood for hops, probably the best double IPA I've had.

05-22-2006 19:14:33 | More by BradBLR
RJLarse

Washington

4.47/5  rDev +4%

I picked up a 22 oz bottle of Stone Ruination IPA at a specialty shop to taste, review and enjoy. I poured this beer in to a tulip.

Pours an orange gold color and is cloudy. A thick foamy head forms that is moderately resilient. The head dissipates to islands of foam on the surface of the beer. Moderate lacing also forms on the sides of the glass.

The smell is quite strong and hoppy, as expected. There are fruity esters along with traces of evergreen, pine, and a hint of a spice like garlic.

The taste is also extremely hoppy as expected. There is also a sour and bitter citrus flavor, grapefruit and a hint of sweet malty, grain, flavor underlying the tremendous hop presence. There is a mildly bitter and warm aftertaste that is fairly shortl-ived. The flavors are reasonably well balanced for the style.

Mouth feel is crisp, refreshing and clean. The beer is fairly heavily carbonated.

This is a very drinkable beer, especially for the summer season, but it would be good year round. A very pungent and flavorful beer. I think Stone Ruination it is a good representative of the style, and would certainly have it again. Very nice!

05-21-2006 23:51:46 | More by RJLarse
loren01

Oregon

4.3/5  rDev 0%

A: Poured into standard pint glass a orangish/yellow color with frothy white head that dissipates rather quickly. No lacing down the glass.
S: I could just sit here and smell this beer all day long. If you are a hophead you won't be let down in this department. Smells sweet/suggary, malty, citrusy, alcohol and earthy to name a few. Very complex scent to this one.
T: Very citrusy, strong taste of hops. Really not too much sweetness to speak of. You can taste the alcohol as well.
M: Medium bodied with a slightly dry finish
D: Not something I could drink a lot of or even on a regular basis but a very good beer nontheless.
Thanks to Gclarkage for this beer!!

05-20-2006 04:51:48 | More by loren01
Sycodrummer

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from the bomber into a tulip glass the beer was a medium bronze color with ruby hues. Two-fingers of white, somewhat fluffy, head formed and carbonation streamed up the sides of the glass.

The nose is heavily hops with a piney floral background aroma. Some flowery esters and a soft fruit scent. Behind all that, a subtle malt presence.

The innitial taste greats the palate with hop bitterness and alcohol. ABV is readily apparent even at cooler temperatures. Soft citrus flavors are present but not over-power. This is not a grapefruit bomb. A sharp and crisp finish with a piney bite that suprisingly reveals an almost sweet maltiness. Just hints of malt float throughout the beer.

Medium body with a crisp finish and high carbonation.

This beer is indeed drinkable and enjoyable. ABV is potent throughout and one bomber of this makes you feel the ruinous affect it can have. Well balanced throughout given that despite how hoppy it is, tiny pockets of sweetness and malt protrude. Truly and enjoyable beer.

05-17-2006 16:56:11 | More by Sycodrummer
danielharper

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Purchased at Strong Bros. Liquor Store, Fayetteville, TN.

A: Pours an orange-yellow body, thick white head. Quite clear, but slight haziness towards bottom.

S: Strong crisp hops in nose, slight grapefruit.

T: Grapefruit flavor very priminent, with _very_ strong hop profile. Clear, crisp, invigorating hops.

M: Hops are actually painful to the palate, but in a good way. Beer foams nicely and tickles the tongue.

D: Goes down clean and with no alcohol bite. Miles better than regular Stone IPA.

05-17-2006 15:17:55 | More by danielharper
mattcrill

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

Enjoyed this @ Barley's mini-RAF 5/13/06. Cask-conditoned with Simcoe.

Aroma: A citrus hop slam! Fruity, floral, citrus with a hint of honey. This is the kind of aroma that you get when you put your nose in a bag of fresh hop leaves. Just incredible.

Appearance: Hazy river water orange fading to yellow edging with a sudsy white head. Looks impressive...it has to have a ton of hops infused to have that lovely cloudy color.

Flavor: What an awesome balance of hop resins, bitterness, orange peel, lemon zest, grapefruit rind, a touch fruity and a little sweetness to help temper this hop maelstrom. Just heavenly.

Mouthfeel: oily, slick, resiny, and it leaves a powdery hop coating on the palate.

Overall impression: Pure heaven. This is the nectar of the gods. What an awesome showcase of hop balance. World Class.

05-14-2006 15:17:47 | More by mattcrill
TheBungyo

Washington

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

Pop the cap and there's no going back. That's because of the massive hops aroma that is sure to hit your nose if you're in the vicinity of a capless bottle. It reminds me of a hop cacaphony. Pine, grapefruit, orange, and friends all screaming "notice me!"
A nice crisp looking half inch head adorns a scarlet/orange body. The taste is dominated by pine and caramel that duke it out in the main event and grapefruit, bitterness, and orange fight it out to see who'll place third. I like the balance.
Mouth is a caress of carbonation, perfectly so. I certainly will buy this again and again. Yet another brew by Stone that makes me glad to be on the left coast with easy access to their brews!

05-14-2006 05:55:18 | More by TheBungyo
Phatz

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

This beer is such a magnificent treat I am blown away! OMG! Wow!

Appearance: Pours a bright orange copper with a thick frothy cap. It is a beautiful color with little lacing.

Smell: I was knocked off my feet so quickly I am having a hard time writing the review. I must say this aroma left me salivating from the get-go. Strong aromas of toasted malts dark sugars and of course bold citrus (slightly pine) hops. This is an extremely aromatic beer. mmm.

Taste: Rich and perfectly balance bold bitter DIPA that has a bit of sweetness as well. It is just so easy to accept I would have expected something much more harsh from all that I have heard about this beer. It has a sweet toasted malty character as well and the bold woody floral (not quite piney) citrus hop character. There is a mild earthy attribute. The aftertaste leaves me tingling but salivating for more. It is big! But, it is still easy to take it! The only thing I can say is - exceptional!

Mouthfeel: This is a medium body beer with a *very* strong backbone. With 7.70 % ABV the alcohol is so well masked is remarkably smooth despite the tingle it leaves on the tongue.

Drinkability: DANGEROUS! This beer is so tasty and drinks so easily I don't even know what to compare it to. It is truly in a league of it's own. That said, one bomber is certainly plenty. I am not going to drink a beer this big all night. It is a one and done beer. mmm.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

05-12-2006 08:13:01 | More by Phatz
UncleFlip

Alabama

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

Bomber, probably picked up on a road trip- hard to keep up with where all the bottles come from!

Sits in the glass a god-looking honey-orange, just a bit hazy, with an active off white head that settles down at a somewhat quick rate.

Aroma is good, but there's nothing outstanding here. Oranges, peaches, lots of pineapple- but still a little nutty, with a nice icing of floral hops.

Spicy right up front, woodier than expected, with a thick alcohol kick. Round and fruity at the end, but with a high hop bitterness that stays strong until the end.

Liquid is hearty, but not thick- with a strong tight carbonation. The carbonation is a but much for me, but not so much it gets unpleasant.

I'll have to let it warm up on me. It's not bad by any means...just that it's not one I'd proabably have twice in one sitting.

Be well
-UF

05-08-2006 07:05:27 | More by UncleFlip
VoodooBrew

South Carolina

4.63/5  rDev +7.7%

650 ml (22 oz) bottle. Bottling date unknown, but it's possible this baby dates back to last fall or winter, judging from the age of some of the other beers at the store where I purchased this bottle.

Pours a clear orange-copper. Decent off-white head, if a little short-lived. Strong, strong aromas of bigs hops, alcohol-soaked raisins and dark fruit. A touch of licorice. No surprise here, but the hops are huge on the palate as well. First the flavor, then a robust bitterness, then more flavor hops plus the flavor and sensation of alcohol. Lest Ruination be accused of one-dimentionality, there's even some firm malt in the finish, and this increases in prominence with each sip, coupling deftly with the alcohol. Bitterness lingers into the finish, but almost unobtrusively so. There's no cloying at all. I daresay the promised "ruinous effect" upon my palate has gone unfulfilled, but only because I dig on the hops so much!

In some respects, it may be unfair to categorize this beer as a Double IPA, pitting it against such behemoths as Dogfish 90. Indeed, at 7.7% ABV it's near the lower end of the style guidelines. Ruination is really what I'd like to be drinking every time I drink a regular IPA: alcohol on the high end, hops gone amuck, eminent drinkability.

05-06-2006 02:46:49 | More by VoodooBrew
cooncat

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Serving was from a 22 oz. bottle.

WOW!

On the pour, you get a beautiful golden colored ale, with a nice, thick head. The head dimishes soon, but there remains a fine ring all the way to the bottom. Lacing is quite evident all the way down to the last drop. The nose is wonderful and fantastic, full of hop aromas to sate the most voracious hop head. The first sip will knock your socks off with a hop bitterness that astounds. Mouthfeel is, to my taste, "just right" for an IPA; not too heavy, but definitely not thin. Initially, its almost 'chewy', but then you get rather used to it by the end, and it seems just very smooth. The alcohol content is significant, so this is an ale to respect .. a couple of glasses will make a fine session.

I thought I'd had some of the best IPAs from Victory Brewing: Hop Devil and Hop Wallop. However, truth be told, I would have to rate this IPA slightly higher than either of those. If you are into IPAs and/or are a 'hop head', this is a MUST beer for you.

Cheers!

05-03-2006 22:20:25 | More by cooncat
IntriqKen

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

Damn...this is nasty stuff.
Pours a golden amber with a nice thick 2 finger head that melts ever so slowly to a very thick lacing. Beautiful!
Aroma is immediately...HOPS...lots of hops, citrusy hops and little else.
Taste surprises you with sweet malts, orange and lemon and grapefuit hops, toasted malts. The hops try to overpower, but it can't be done. Malts mellow everything out to an incredibly balanced taste.
Mouthfeel is initially smooth and buttery that changes quickly to a drying citrus from the hops and slight alcohol warming as it goes down.
This is one very nice beer.

05-02-2006 01:22:25 | More by IntriqKen
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

4.13/5  rDev -4%

Bottle (Courtesy of Hogtownharry): Poured a bright copper color beer with a nice foamy bright white head with great lacing and retention. Beautiful floral aroma with solid sweet malt as a backbone. Taste is also dominated by the floral texture of the hops with a great nice bitter finish. Great balance between bitter and floral malt and great presence of malt. Body is above average and alcohol is well hidden. I was really impress since I am not the greatest fan of IIPA.

05-01-2006 14:54:14 | More by Phyl21ca
Hautacam

Connecticut

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

22oz bottle with a nasty looking gargoyle. "A liquid poem to the glory of the Hop ".
Light orange with a foamy head that drops very quickly to a film.
Strong hop-perfume..intense...like snorting hop pellets. Fresh pineapple...very floral.
There is a sweet malt background to this, but it really is all about the hops...spruce, pine, grapefruit rind...very flavorful and bitter. Really good. Alcohol comes through as it warms up. I'll be tasting hops in my sleep ! Wow.
Medium body..medium carbonation...slightly syrupy.
A very good hop -bomb !
This is no haiku...it's an epic.

04-29-2006 00:58:07 | More by Hautacam
Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.