Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 10,377 | Reviews: 3,072
3.73/5  rDev -13.3%

A - bright pale orange, a little hazy

S - piney, outdoor, forest. Good whiffs of the alcohol

T - A bitter overwhelming hop explosion. The subtle malt undertones are represented and they do come through after the onslaught of hops takes a rest before my next sip

M - This is a serious beer and the Stoners know what they are doing. Flavor languished in my mouth for a while after every sip as this brew wants to continue 'ruining' your perception of taste as it clots your taste buds

D - I stand by the statement that I am not a fan of the IPA's. However, beers like this and the Dogfish Head 60 minute are gradually opening me up to the style.

Pours with a surprisingly white head, a little hazy amber orange. Had some nice chunky, foamy lacing.

Smells like a textbook American IPA: Piney grapefruit citrusy hops.

Taste is a big bitterness that hits the middle of the tongue and then starts to spread out past your teeth, then to the back of your jaw, then to your cheeks and it doesn't stop until it gets to your inner ear. My ears popped. True story. This is a piney grapefruit hop bomb for sure, but in a good way. It's unbalanced, the hops are shockingly at the forefront, but if you like bitter as much as I do you'll like this.

It's a smooth and dry mouthfeel with a lingering bitter aftertaste.

This beer is not for the feint of heart--I think you'll either love it or hate it. It's not the most complex beer, it's not balanced in that it's mostly all hop bitterness, but if you like that sort of thing then I don't think you'll find a beer that manages to deliver bitterness while still being tasty and delicious better than this.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

ON TAP at Stone. Disclaimer: I have to disclose that in bottle this is the beer that is my "go to beer" when I don't want my usually favored stout. This is my "every day beer" so I may taste it with some prejudice. However...

Orange color with a short white head and nice and heavy, long lasting lacing (more than from a bottle); assertive orange citrus nose that gives way to pleasant and heavy grapefruit.

Big and appealing orange/grapefruit flavor with a big, full bodied mouthfeel and with a long lasting and pleasant grapefruit/hop finish.

This is always a winner and the beer on tap mirrors the nice drink found in a bottle. Nice mouthfeel and character all around.

3.62/5  rDev -15.8%

A - bronze w/ a 2 finger off white foam head, some nice lacing to boot

S - healthy heap of citrus/piney hops, has my mouth watering...

T - opens w/ a slight sweetness but then leads to a mouthful of bittering citrus hops, very tasty. the alcohol presence gives the beer a nice warming quality

MF - tight crisp, pleasantly full bodied

D - great beer, but although i will purchase/enjoy again, i probably couldn't see myslef haveing more than one in a session.

4.27/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours medium amber with generous white head. Nose is the most amazing feature of this ale on tap - a fresh citrus candied aroma from heaven. Hard to believe the draft is so much better than the bottle. Big hop profile on the palate and incredibly smooth all the way through the finish.

4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

Believe the Hype here ladies and gentleman! Poured from a bomber into my Duvel Tulip. Very nice 3 finger head with great piney and citrusy smells happening. Taste is unreal and ranks way up there with hops attack on your palate. Not for the timid or non-IPA lover. Mouthfeel is great and drinkability is pretty good for a DIPA. In my top five for DIPA's for sure. As with all IPA's the fresher the better, so don't store em' drink em!!!

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

A- Clear golden body with a very sticky white head.

S- Citrusy and floral hops dominate the aroma. The hop oil presence is also nice.

T- Malts jump in a first but don't last very long. Then comes the huge hop presence. Citrus and floral hops are then followed by the huge hop bitterness. Some slight alcohol notes jump in as well.

M- Full body with a good carbonation level.

D- An awesome DIPA. When you craving a beer with a big hop presence, go for this one.

4.13/5  rDev -4%

A - A hazy, honey colored beer...nice fluffy head of about 3-fingers...head really sticks around for a long time and has some outstanding lacing

S - Nice grapefruit aroma, even before I'm done pouring...getting my nose in the top of the pint glass gives even more bitter grapefruit...I'm not really picking up on much of anything else...swirling gives off some sweeter alcohol aromas

T - Bitter hops...lots of white grapefruit...not much else

M - Creamy...nice amount of carbonation...bitterness sticks around, but not to the point of being overwhelming...very dry finish

D - Something that I would reach for again and again...the hops seem to be like a good, spicy food...powerful, but makes you want more

4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

A: Nice three finger head. Good retention with tons of lacing. Great cloudy, yellow/orange, slightly amber coloration. Definitely on the cloudy yellow side.

S: Both citrus and pine show up clearly. The grapefruit aroma is matched perfectly by the pine resin. Some bread and slight caramel notes are also noticeable.

T: Very clean. 100+IBUs are not at all overwhelming. Citrus, floral, and piney notes prevail as a slight caramel backbone carries through the entire swallow. A bit of bitterness on initial tongue contact and throughout the aftertaste, but very complex and surprisingly pleasant. The bitterness definitely lingers, but for hop-heads like me this is perfect. The resins take time to settle on the tongue, but as they gather they continue enhance the hop-profile. As the beer warms caramel and pine become more defined and this beer becomes more balanced. Initially clean, this beer becomes a hop-resin bomb, coating the palate with a bitter residue. A great experience of a beer!

M: Complex. Like I said, initially the mouthfeel is clean but with continued sipping the palate gets coated with a resin-bitterness. This is easily washed away with another swig, but then the cycle continues . . . Great body. Nicely carbonated (if a tad overdone). I've never had resin stick to my teeth like this before . . . a good quality in my book.

D: The one bomber will be plenty. That being said I would love to drink one of these everyday. What a beer! Smooth, and not too bitter for a high ABV IPA. Exceptionally tasty. Resin really starts to build on the palate. This lends itself to food pairing.

Wow. It's been awhile sense I've had this brew. No wonder it's $5.99 a 22oz. A hop-heads dream. This beer is both complex and balanced, floral and piney, bitter and smooth. Stone seems to possess some-sort of mastery over the hop.

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a cloudy/hazy orange-peach with a thin white head, some moderate carbonation and lacing.

Smells of hops, glorious hops! Very citrusy, floral some slight bready undertones, but hops dominate. After smelling this for a while, I find it clears out my sinuses, like vics or something, thats how hoppy it is!

Tastes like it smells, overwhelming citrusy hops, some slight bready maltines. Leaves a very bitter aftertaste which I don't mind at all. This is an incredibly hoppy beer.

Very smooth mouthfeel, and pretty drinkable considering the hop content. One of my favourite IPAs for sure!

4.39/5  rDev +2.1%

A nice hazy golden orange color body with a short soapy white head. Aroma is huge amounts of hops,piny,citrus,resin, floral, with a hint of the malty goodness.Flavor is crisp and bright, citrusy,spicy and floral hops,quite resiny,a little grainy,a,nice malty side,just enough to keep things in order, not a sticky mess or a bitter bomb,just a really nice show of hops,medium carbonation,full body,loads of sticky lacing,a long hoppy finish,this is very good stuff, I will buy this again.

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%

A- Hazy copper orange with white head. Head left quite a sticky lacing.

A- Older bottle, so I'm not getting as many hop aromas. Flowery hop aroma, some grapefruit. Sweet malt background.

T- Wow. This truly does ruin a palate, a friend said that he wants to drink this before he takes any shots so that he tastes nothing. Huge hop taste, dominates the mouth. As it comes down there is an aftertaste of a hoppy sweet malt, fruity aftertastes as well. This came nicely to me as I realized I wasn't drinking a hop smoothie and that there was actually beer in this hop juice as well.

M- Ruined? Medium-full body, incredibly smooth. For being so hoppy I would have expected this to be a bit rougher, but to my joy it is smooth. Moderate carbonation, almost dare I say, refreshing?

D- If you hate hoppy beers you won't like this. That said for being a hop delivery device this is quite delicious. If you are looking for just an IPA this is way beyond that. At 7.7% abv, you have to be careful about how many of these you go through.

4.37/5  rDev +1.6%

On tap at Taco Mac Lindbergh.

Pours a clear golden amber with a small soapy white head that shows solid retention and spotty lacing.

Massive hoppy nose with tons of citrus and pine. Lots of lemons, oranges and grapefruit with a small sweet malt aroma in the background.

The taste follows the aroma is dominated by the bitterness of the citrus hops up front. Lots of astringent lemon and grapfruit bitterness with a bready backbone that barely supports all the hops heaped on it.

The mouthfeel issticky with hop juice but goes down very smooth with soft carbonation and a medium to full body.

This is an outstanding DIPA that lets the hops shine and is a must-try for hop heads out there.

4.17/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Hazy Copper. Nice frothy/creamy head. Head falls to a ring. Leaves plenty of lacing down the glass.

Smell: Initial aroma is of hops...loads of hops. Initial burst of floral and piny notes. Thats followed by some earthy citrus/grapefruit. Theres a some bready and toasty malt notes in the background.

Taste: Much like the aroma. Initial burst of hops - floral upfront, followed pineapple and grapefruit notes. Earthy and minty notes in the middle. A very smooth hop character. There's also a constant bready/toasty malt backbone throughout. The finish is dry with a lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a crisp carbonation.

This is one hell of a beer. This beer truly lives up to its name. My taste buds have been wonderfully decimated by loads of deliscious hop flavor. It has truly ruined my palate for the evening...and that's a good thing!

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Presentation: 1 pint 6 oz bottle into a nonic.

A- Hazy clear orange/amber. Pours with ~1 finger of off white head, which fades slowly to a thin cap, leaving ample lacing as consumed.

S- Pine and grapefruit hoppiness, followed by sturdy sweet, malty notes.

T- Excellent- Substantial pine-and-grapefruit hop pop, with a fantastically bitter - though thankfully, not "ruinous"- finish. Fair amount of malt sweetness provides a modicum of balance to the bitterness. Alcohol's presence is not substantially noted. Quite enjoyable.

M- Moderately high carbonation, which provides quite the active, crisp bite. Goes down smoothly. Outstanding feeling of coating via residual hop oiliness.

D- Bitterness may be fairly high, but it is still highly consumable....Relatively low ABV% for a DIPA. Quite good.

Future outlook: Took me awhile to getting around to trying this one, but I'm happy that I did. Yet another outstanding twist on the DIPA.

22oz bottle. Hazy orange with a sticky head. Smells like hops... juicy. Sweet and malty, hoppy with grapefruit, but a broad hop spectrum that is hard to pin down; intricately hoppy. Quite bitter finish with some alcohol. medium body with small bubbles. Doesnt finish as astringent as I expected. Actually not as intense or bitter as I thought it would be. I think that this bottle might not have been fresh enough to let the hops shine as much as they could. Liked it, but nothing mad it really stand out for me.
Rerate: on tap a couple times here in DC and I have to say that I like it more than the times I had it out of the bottle back in California. Very hoppy and bitter, but with the perfect amount of malt balance and a dry finish. A great IIPA to down a pint of and not get pounded with malt and alcohol.

2.74/5  rDev -36.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Let me preface this by saying that I have been regularly consuming hoppy beers for quite some time now, and I feel confident in my ability to judge them. And let me add that overall I love Stone and respect what they do. I just don't understand why this beer is rated so highly.

Ruination pours very clear; a tawny orange color. A decent-looking head forms, but does not stay long. Hardly any lacing.

The nose is pathetic for a DIPA. You practically have to submerge your nose to detect it at all. And it's just piney... with a hint of caramel. No complexity here.

The first couple sips were bad. Just a wave of bitterness with no complex hops flavors whatsoever. After I let it warm some more, pine and citrus flavors (mostly just pine) strengthen. I found that the bitterness was only bearable by swishing each sip around in my mouth until it was thoroughly acclimated to the temperature in my mouth. Only through these means can you appreciate that there is some sweetness to this beer, even if it's very well hidden. After the beer adjusts to the temperature of your mouth, you can pick up some candied pineapple and caramel flavors. These little flavors are the only things that save this beer from catastrophe.

The body is a little light for a DIPA, but swishing contributes to a certain creamy feel.

As for drinkability... there really is none. It took me almost 2 hours to drink 12 oz. It's just so overwhelmingly bitter, you can't help but pace yourself.

Having said all that, it's definitely not the worst DIPA I've had. But I have to disagree with the quotation underneath the logo on the bottle, "A liquid poem to the glory of the hop." No. I've had so many beers that are so much better at highlighting all of the deliciousness and complexity you can get from using a good variety of hops. This beer, on the other hand, is an ode to bitterness, that's it.

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

on tap poured into standard pint glass.

a: light amber color slight prickly foam head that disipates into a very light lace cap. Slight carbaonation

s: a nice floral hop aroma

t: toasted malt upfront followed with hop flavor. Surprisingly the hops do not translate straight to a stong bitterness. Citrus adds to the complexity of the brew. Nice.

m&d: smooth creamy mouthfeel making an extremely drinkable beer.

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from 22oz bomber into DFH snifter.

A - Light orangish/copper color with a off-white head. Not too much head on the pour but what was there left a good amount of sticky lacing on the sides of the glass.

S - Really nice pine, citrus (both bitter and sweet), hoppy notes from this beer. It's a really nice combo of smells that make me want to try this beer even more-so.

T - A nice crisp bitterness right off the bat which is followed by some notes of orange peels, pine, and malts.

M - Light - medium in body, very clean & crisp, perfect carbonation. Very clean finish.

D - A top-notch DIPA that I put above Racer X, Exponential Hoppiness, and HopSlam. I really liked this one (obv)!

4.62/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm a big fan of the Stone IPA, and was surprised to find this at the post exchange on Fort Bliss. Pouring this one into a pint glass.

It gives off a nice, two-finger head. White, significant lacing. Visible carbonation. A very light apple cider yellow-amber in color. I smell strong, sweet malts and citrus. Only the slightest hint of hops in the nose.

The hops are strong, but there's an underlayer of those sweet notes, almost floral. Tastes almost nothing like the smell, with the exception of that sweet orange-peel citrus on the back end. I'm smelling the sweet malts and clover, and reveling in the piney hops, and the citrus binds it all together.

Medium-bodied. Carbonation is moderately strong, but works out to be "just right." Good drinkability for the style, but I don't really consider IPAs to be session beers.

I thought that the Stone IPA was great, but the contrast between the smell and the taste here add another layer of depth and this is my favorite brew thus far.

4.64/5  rDev +7.9%

Appearance: A beautiful off white finger and a half of head. Wow, this beer has a great deal of head retention and the lacing on this beer is crazy. A nice copper and yellow look, which is similar to honey. It is a pretty cloudy beer.

Smell: A lot of malt smell in this beer. It smells very sweet. I can smell some hops with a very mild citrus or piney odor.

Taste: This is a very different beer from the smell it has. There is a great deal more hop flavor than there was aroma in the smell. I can taste some serious pine and some good citrus mixed in. It is somewhat balanced but the hops definitely win in this beer.

Mouthfeel: The beer was perfectly carbonated and was a very smooth drink. This beer has a medium body.

Drinkability: This has easily become one of my favorite beers. I wish I had a growler instead of just 22 oz of this beer. It has an incredible smell and everything about it is truly wonderful.

3.98/5  rDev -7.4%

22oz. bomber into New Belgium glass (excess into a Sam Adams taster for girlfriend who isn't generally that into IPAs -- I subsequently finish said taster).

Pours a pale amber with an inch and a half of lasting seafoam head comprised of medium-to-tiny-sized bubbles. Decent amount of spotty lacing.

Piney-citrusy hops even as I pour it a foot-plus from my face. It's hops-hops-hops in the nose, with a little alcohol bringing up the rear - as advertised.

Tastewise, malt is there. That's the most I can say about that particular component. Otherwise, the hops just coat the tongue and club each taste bud atop the skull. It's like whack-a-mole in there.

Noticeable but not overly-aggressive carbonation.

I would have another, but I wouldn't call this a session beer by any means. After two or three, I think my taste buds might be begging for death and it would be a waste of this hop explosion.

4.67/5  rDev +8.6%

What I love about this IPA is that for people who are used to "piss" beer(Keystone, Bud, Coors, you get the idea), it is completely out of their league. "Horrible" is a word often said to me by friends who I deem worthy of a swig. One of the hoppiest beers around my neck of the woods(North Idaho) and coincidently it comes from one of my favorite breweries, Stone.

4.32/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a bomber bottle into a pint glass. Paired with some cheese and chips and salsa. Golden/copper color. Big rocky white head, leaves a lot of lacing. Smells like fresh American hops, like you're literally holding a bunch of them up to your nose. Big and piney. Theres a lot of carbonation. Definitely a big beer with enough malt to stand up to the hops. Fairly warming with all the alcohol. As it gets warmer you get a lot of citrus flavors, grapefruit I guess? Beats 90 Minute and Hop Wallop I think.

4.27/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours reddish copper with less carbonation than one would expect for an American IPA. Smells predominantly of citrus. Nicely assertive hop bitterness with lots of grapefruit flavors and some grassy undertones at first, fading onto some piney notes near the end before a slightly sweet finish. A dry bitterness remains in the mouth after swallowing. Mouth feel is as one would expect from a beer of this size.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.