Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Man, I thought it couldn’t get much better than Stone’s stock IPA. Now I’m forced to rate something better than the Trois Pistoles. Yikes.

A beautiful, hazy, dark golden / orange color filled my glass, which is something like an oblong snifter. After pouring vigorously a nice, white, sticky head formed just a bit more than one inch tall. It just wouldn’t go a way and interesting bubbles and pockets formed, reminding me of the moons surface. Furthermore the brew smelled delicious. I’m at a loss for words but I will say that it seemed to indicate the perfection of the IPA genre: sweet but mostly hoppy. Immediately the grainy, bread-like aspect (which is actually fairly minimal) of the beer was tasted but this was followed shortly by the INTENSE hops. After that some sweetness came about followed by some warm alcohol in the aftertaste. Of course the hops lingered throughout. I can’t really complain about the feel of this beer, as it is just thick enough and with minimal but still present carbonation and bite. Also, the head has continued to cling to the side of the glass and is slowly dripping or oozing down like fake blood in a B horror flick. Damn this beer is good. Highly recommended.

One final note: as I finish the Ruination, my tongue actually becomes numb from the hops. Wow.

BabaJohn, Jul 22, 2006
4.3/5  rDev 0%

WOW! There is for sure some hoppy bitterness going on with this brew. Pours a clear, medium golden amber color with a frothy looking, initially gigantic head that shrinks in size, retaining itself at about 1/4 inch rather quickly. Nice coating of lacing on the glass as the beer is sipped. I really can't decide which is better, this beer or the regular IPA from Stone. Both are fantastic! Aromas of hops are most dominant with some malt, sweetness, and maybe a hint of certain fruits such as some citrus, perhaps grapefruit, or even a touch of lemon. Taste is pretty much the same as the smell. It is dominated by hops galore! Also present are the aforementioned malts and hints of fruit. Nicely balanced though. The hops certainly make their presence known and come across as somewhat aggressive, but they are not overpowering either. It has a sort of dry and bitter aftertaste, not that this should come as any surprise. This beer has a very nice crisp yet also smooth, frothy and creamy mouthfeel. Carbonation is light to moderate. I am quite pleased how highly drinkable I found this beer to be in spite of its hop bitterness.

Eric

neenerzig, Jul 22, 2006
4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

A pretty golden amber that makes all those miller and budweiser beer commercials look like urine. Produced a very wonderful froth and head that tasted and smelled wonderful (i really can't help myself, i've always loved froth since i was a kid drinking root beer). This thing tastes like you're drinking a nice cold hop tea. I don't see a whole lot of post carbonation init but the frothy lace is sticking all over. This tastes better and better with each sip, but as with most IPA's I feel sorry for the next beer. Truly lives up to it's namesake. This beer feels great in the mouth but I doubt the next beer can live up to this, unless it's another Ruination! Definately one of the top IPA's ever.

I've noticed myself coming back to this beer over and over and over. I pay 4-5$ a bottle for the bombers here yet I will splurge every time I am out and pick one of these up. I simply must drink them if possible. Excellent.

idResponse, Jul 21, 2006
3.95/5  rDev -8.1%

This is one hoppy BITCH!! Without a doubt, the hoppiest beer I've ever had. Beautiful tan-golden color with a beautiful pillowy head and terrific lacing down the glass. It's got a good taste, but after you get towaed the bottom of the glass, the hops become soooo overwhelming, it becomes hard to drink. I do like Stone's regular IPA better, cause it is better balanced...that being said, I still think this is one heck of a brew!

bigdeuce, Jul 18, 2006
4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

I've had plenty of bottled ruination, but this is my first taste of the draft version. Seems smoother than the bottle; the hop bite is not quite as "ruinous" as it should be. This is delicious, but is slightly detuned compared to the bottle. Still highly recommended, and the carbonation level is dead on. Mouthfeel gets a big 5 on this.

Highly recommended, but try it in the bottle first.

audiojon, Jul 16, 2006
4.72/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I didn't even get to try this on tap on my trip to San Diego last year, but I managed to hit The Drafting Room while this was available. What a catch! My pint looked great - clear, golden orange with a short white head of fine bubbles, thick solid lacing throughout. Big hoppiness in the aroma, plenty of grapefruit, a bit powdery. Strong bitterness with lots of orange and grapefruit. Also, a solid malt base that gives the balance necessary for a hop-bomb. Citrus is just in-your-face from the beginning until the last bits of the aftertaste - the hops just linger and linger and linger. There's also just a hint of warmth towards the end as well. Very nice. Silky texture with fine carbonation and a medium/light body. Dryness creeps in as well. This is a hop showcase. It's balanced enough to keep things together, but still an aggressive beer. It seemed just a little more mellow on tap than in bottles, but that's really a minor difference.

DrJay, Jul 16, 2006
4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

on tap at mad mex.

12 oz. glass pour with no head at all (i would attribute this to a inept pour from the bartender or a less than beerclean glass, i think), and no lacing at all. color is a light golden with orange tint.

bouquet is surprisingly sweet/malty with little detectable hop noticeable. light notes of grapefruit, orange and apricot present.

taste is sweet and biscuity up front but soon gives way to a hoppy middle and finish, which is slightly tart and marked by notes of grapefruit and pine.

mouthfeel is medium/thin with a touch of graininess and sparse carbonation. nothing coming close to syrupy and full, as expected.

easy enough to put down.

all told, i'm not sure this pour was a fair representation of this beer on tap (maybe it had just been tapped, maybe it was nearing the end). that being said, i would have expected more "meat" from this DIPA (as experienced with the bottled version) than i got but it was still a nice beer.

unclederby, Jul 15, 2006

Served in a snifter, the beer pours yellow/orange with a good white foamy head. There's a good bit of lacing on the glass after drinking it for a while. Obviously this beer has a very strong hop smell, with citrus and pine. It tastes like hops too. A strong hop taste but not overpowering, with a bitter aftertaste at the end which stays around for a while. Not well balanced at all, but this beer is for the hopheads out there. It has a nice medium mouthfeel, slightly slick. Even with all the hoppiness, the beer does go down smooth. I'm not a hophead, but for the style this is a pretty good beer. Whenever I'm in the mood for a hoppy beer, I'd definitely pick up one of these again. Cheers!

bluejacket74, Jul 14, 2006
4.72/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bomber into a standard pint glass. Dark orange color with about a finger of head that slowly broke down to slight lacing. Very strong hop (whooda thunk!) and pine aroma. Taste was also strong in hops throughout but without overwhelming the palate. Plenty of balance makes it very drinkable for those of us who love our hops!

rgrace99, Jul 14, 2006
4.3/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to Zorro for this bomber.Finally decided to crack this one open after staring at it in my fridge for almost 3 months.
Pours a hazy yellowish orange color with a fingers worth of white head. Smells more balanced than I expected...don't get me wrong, the hops are quite dominant but the malts are easily detected. Pine and a lemony citrus followed by a nice biscuity malt aroma. The taste is all that I hoped it would be. Bitter from start to finish with doses of piney hops with just a bit of sweetness in the middle. Slick, oily mouthfeel with a dry, bitter finish. I don't notice the alcohol in this at all. Stone does it again.

Imstillthegman, Jul 12, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

A - Hazy golden hue with a slowly dissapating head that remained only rimming the edges of the glass and slight lacing

S - Overbearing hops...couldn't smell anything else. Though, the hops are really bitter and "resiny"/sticky...oily if you will.

T - So delicious the hops are very well established as they should be. The hops are definately fresh or just strait up potent. The drink ends bitter (duh!) but it goes past that...coating your whole mouth with this layer of bitter hops that sticks forever after a swallow.

M - Light, crisp, dry....from the hops.

D - Easy...though so hoppy could be a bit hard to do a session with this... Just makes me crave a nice sandwich or bbq! YUM!

Gregorious, Jul 08, 2006
4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

This is my first beer reviewed posted so some things may be a little bit off also saying I'm new to beer things might be a bit off.

Appearance- 1½-2” white head. Golden orange color with only a little “fog” (murkiness) for the most part was very clear. Also was medium amount of carbonation.
Smell- Hoppy! (which kind of hops I don’t know) strong hops with a light scent of alcohol with no smell of malt from what I could smell.
Taste- Bitter aftertaste from all the hops. While drinking it was very hoppy which was sweet at first with also some bitterness. Thick lacing all the way till last sip. Maybe a bit fruity? I couldn’t taste the alcohol in it.
Mouthfeel-Light to medium carbonation with a medium body. Kind of heavy feel to it while drinking.
Drinkabilty- I LOVED it! Very nice! Maybe a bit refreshing but not much. LOVED it from the first sip.

BlindPig, Jul 08, 2006
4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured into a pint glass from a bomber bottle ordered on-line.
It displayed a nice 1/2 inch white head. Beautiful copper/amber color - pretty clear. Some belgian lace displayed on the glass.

This beer has a strong lemony scent. A bit of a grassy scent too. Suprisingly, there's even a little malt detectable in the background. The taste is over-the-top hop bitterness. Bitter aftertaste too. Nice dry finish. The alcohol is well-disguised - the bitterness makes it barely noticeable.

It has a medium-to-full mouthfeel. The higher-alcohol content does not have a strong presence in the mouthfeel. A very drinkable Double-IPA if you're a fan. Whether or not you like this style, I can't imagine drinking many of these bitter beers in a sitting. A noteable Double-IPA!

westweasel, Jul 02, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +9.3%

Based on my experience with Arrogant Bastard, I though the Ruination was going to send me straight to heaven. Or hell. Wellll.. not quite.

Into a pint glass, pours a pretty nice orangish copper with a good finger of head and lacing was fine. Aroma was 'ooh big surprise' enormous hops, but also very nice orange rind, pine, grapefruit, and somewhere a pretty elusive but distinct caramel malt.

Taste is just a wollopping load of hops, unregretful, uncomprimising, just in your face and proud of it. After ArrBastard, this is taking a little longer, and delightfully so, as I pay more attention to waht happens after the sip. Or mouthful swishing around, for that matter. Its funny though, cause it really does just take hold of the palatte and force everything to the side. It commands your full attention, a frontal hop assault that end bitter and wanting, and I need it even more. And its just a little dangerous like that, both in that I can't taste anything else besides this beer, and that I want several more than I know I can't handle.

All in all, too much for more than a couple in one sitting, or even just one, but damned if i'm not going to gave more shipped to me.

objectivemonkey, Jul 02, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Gotta love the description on the back of the bottle! Good thing it can back that stuff up!

Golden blond/ thick creamy head. good carbonation. looks pretty inviting.

Huge citrus and pine-tree aroma's from loads of hops, slight grains and wheat with a whiff of smooth malt.

This is a very bold IPA with a monster hop attack, but the complexity and balance is still very good, The hop flavors range from bold citric fruits like pineapple and orange peel to semi-bitter, earthiness and very herbal finsih. The malt is subtle but very smooth and effective right at the end for maximum impact. I've seen other folks that are not used to this kind of bold flavor just cringe and crinkle up their face because they just can't understand how someone could enjoy such an attack of flavor...it's funny the things you get used to in life. And eventually enjoy.

This is a medium to heavy bodied IPA with a big bite that actually finishes pretty smooth, but pretty heavy overall.

Really very easy to drink to spite its 7.7 ABV!

GratefulBeerGuy, Jun 29, 2006
2.63/5  rDev -38.8%

Poured the Ruination IPA into my 23 oz. glass, which gave a huge head (possibly bad pouring on my part)

Appearance: nice gold look, white head, looks really good
Smell: hops, that's about it; smells good though
Taste: the first few sips were good, then it went downhill from there; very much a champagne flavor; I could taste a lot of alcohol in this eventhough it's only 7.7%; the hops were there, but the champagne flavor was dominant
Mouthfeel: lots of head at first; it was decent though
Drinkability: not good for this beer at all; i couldn't get the whole 22 oz. bottle into my glass, and after i finished the portion in my glass, i really didn't feel like drinking the rest of it, eventhough i did.

Overall, I wasn't very impressed with this beer for all the hype it receives.

Applesauce1, Jun 25, 2006
3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

22 oz. Bottle ordered from Liquid Solutions.

Pours crystal clear with the color of Budweiser. Nice rocky head that sticks around for a few minutes. Eventually falls to a ring surrounding the brew. The nose is dominated by pine and resin. There is a faint hint of tangerine or grapefruit along with a few pale malts. The hops are overpowering, but eventually give way to grain alcohol. The palate is two dimensional: bitter and alcoholic. On first sip I get astringent bitterness which lasts and lasts and is eventually followed by alcohol. There is a distinct lack malts in the palate to me. I love the way this beer feels in the mouth. It is highly carbonated, rough and aggressive; which is fitting for this brew. The drinkability is hampered in my mind by the alcohol however.

Note: IPA is by far my favorite style, and I have heard many a rave reviews of this beer. That being said, I have to admit that I was slightly disappointed. This is a outstanding beer, but it is not one of my favorite IPA's, even within the "extreme IPA" category. For that style I would much prefer a Surly Furious, which I find to be a much more complex beer.

hgrong, Jun 24, 2006

On tap at UJ's on the Manatawnwy on my Bday (6/22). This was my last beer of the night (after a handful of good brews) but there was still room for it. The beer poured a yellowish-orange color and fairly clear. The head did not last long but did leave some lacing on the snifter I was drinking out of. The nose and taste were a nice big bit of citrus hops but pleasant but not too much overbearing. I liken it to Pliny the Elder but a little less no steroids.

ggaughan, Jun 23, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I have to say that I am a little biased, because this is my favorite beer. I just started my "beer journey" six months ago, and I have a long way to go. But IPAs are my favorite, and Stone's Ruination is the king.

Appearance: Orange-yellow, fairly clear. Medium head, minimal lacing. No warning of the massive smell and taste of this beer.

Smell: Strong citrus, piney, and some honey. It sends a shiver down my spine.

Taste: Bowls you over with hops, but is mellowed by some maltiness. Not very well balanced, but that's the way I like it.

This is my first review, hope you find it helpful.

tr0n2ooo, Jun 17, 2006
3.73/5  rDev -13.3%

A: Pale golden amber in color with a slightly off white head that retains nicely. Really good lacing throughout.
S: Complex. Some tropical fruit-pineapple, lots of floral hops, some citrus rind smells, and some definate piney and woody smells. A sweet malt smell seems to run the gamut. My girlfriend said it smelled almost like perfume and I concor.
T: Again with the complexity. Surprisingly the sweet malt flavors seem to dominate. Sweet bread and roasted sweet nut flavors. Woody and piney flavors also. Some tropical cooked fruit flavors-cooked pineapple and also some cooked fruit rind. Hops peek through now and again, but are not bitter and usually make a presence felt in some citrus flavors. The alcohol really makes itself felt throughout and seems to be the driving force here.
MF: Chewy at times and finishes with alcohol warmth.
Overall: A unique brew with some unexpected flavors. The drinkability may be low for some because of the alcohol presence. But a strong, out of the box DIPA.

Illinick, Jun 17, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -4%

Pours a beautiful cloudy orange with a off-white head that is frothy and thick. The nose is pine, citrus, oaky, and brisk. The taste is a sharp bitter bite that starts your taste buds on crazy trip. It moves to a suttle and I mean suttle balance of malty honey vanilla sweetness but not much. This is a hop bomb and it will satisfy any hop cravings you desire. I love this DIPA, IMO it should be slightly more balanced but still fantstic.

Franchise, Jun 16, 2006

Pumpkin orange with a silky white froth driven head. Very good retention with sticky thick lacing.

Very sweet pine aromas. Some bubble gum in the deep being of this concoction. Slight citrusy background, a lemon edge, with other citrus fruit components. Of course there is a malt and hop aroma that collides in harmony.

I hate to use the same word twice in one review but the malt and thick piney malt live in perfect harmony with each other. Pine is completely dominate in this one. The one thing that hurts it's rating is a somewhat thin mouthfeel. Still a long 30-40 second finish. A lemony refreshing kick round this out. No alcohol present to inhibit any sour edges.

Cheers!

mcallister, Jun 16, 2006
4.9/5  rDev +14%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle (which has the quote "A liquid poem to the glory of the hop!") into an imperial pint glass.

A: The beer is a bright gold with a thick, foamy, white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: Strong aroma of hops with some citrus and malt and a slight hint of alcohol.

T: Nice intense burst of hops hits you right away and dominates the whole time you drink it. There's a little bit of a citrus malt background to it, but this beer is ALL HOPS.

M: Very crisp, very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation clean finish.

D: It's very tasty and there's no trace of the alcohol, definitely one I had hang with for the whole night.

This is yet another flat out EXCELLENT beer from Stone. I'm always amazed how they can consistently leave their signature in the flavor of a beer, while still representing the style magnificently, no matter what style it may be. Within the style, Dreadnaught is that only one I've had that's better and it's not by much. Since this beer is more accessible and cheaper than Dreadnaught, from now on when I want a DIPA, this is the one I'll choose.

TheManiacalOne, Jun 15, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Reviews of super hoppy beers are exciting aren't they? Smell: hoppy; taste: hoppy. Oh yeah!

The pour is clear copper with a 1/2" white head that sinks down into a thin island covering the most of the beer and a thicker ring. The smell and taste is hoppy. Piney hops upfront, followed by grapefruity hops. Crystal malts mainly stay out of the way. The mouthfeel is thinner than I would have preferred. This is a big, bitter beer, but the whole ruining your palate image is a little disingenuous next to Hopsickle and the Plineys.

goschool, Jun 14, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -4%

I had this beer in a 22 oz. glass and it poured a dark gold with a medium head. The nose instantly reminded me of the pure hops which I use often when brewing at home and had all of the piney, fruity, and... er... hoppy aromas that go along with it. The taste was impressive to me in that, although the bitterness was strong and a strong hop flavor was found, this beer was not as overwhelming as I thought it would be. I expected a ridiculously bitter beer (similar to some bad batches of beer), but instead was greeted with a good malt flavor, biting hop flavor, and a high bitterness which actually blended quite well and wasn't too bad. The carbonation was medium and the mouthfeel was good with a hoppy bite to it. The drinkability was good, but in my opinion was not superb do to the fact that I believe the high hop taste would become overwhelming over time without a switch to a milder beer. Overall, I rate this beer as good and certainly worth a try. It has a very high hop characteristic and a high bitterness that makes for a good IPA. However, I believe the beer is worth more for it's novelty factor and thus is not a beer that I would drink consistently.

jdmorgan, Jun 13, 2006
Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.