Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 10,387 | Reviews: 3,075
4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

I was quite suprised by this beer. It pours with a bright golden color and has just the right head. The smells and aromas of this beer are awsome if you like the smell of hops. It reminds me of when I cut open a bag of hops for homebrewing. It has good drinkability the hop bitterness is not so overwhelming as you might think. Ballance was very well achived for such a strongly hoped beer. Although I personally would not tip back a number of these in a row, I find it a good beer to enjoy on occasion.

3.43/5  rDev -20.2%

A medium golden/orange color with a large foamy white head. Good lacing.

Smells of citrus, hops and a bit of pine.

Taste wasn't as balanced as I'd like. The hops just dominate everything else. Grapefruit is in there somewhere, along with some malt if you really go looking for it.

Mouthfeel was crisp, if a bit on the thin side. Still, one of the better brews in this regard.

This isn't something I'd care to session. While not as over the top as some of Stone's beers, it's still a little hop heavy for my taste. I'm sure there's a market out there for it though.

4.3/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: This beer poured an orange-y yellow with a nice fluffy white head. Lacing was present the whole time.

Smell: Hops and more hops! A nice subtle hint of sour grapefruit.

Taste: A nice toasted bread flavor in the front that is quickly masked by a HUGE bitterness. This beer is HOPPY! Again, as in the nose, a subtle hint of grapefruit. The piney hoppiness dominates here though.

Mouthfeel: Slightly heavy body with medium carbonation. Kind of thick and syrupy.

Overall: Overall this beer appeals to the hopheads only. For the style of beer(Imperial IPA) it is a great beer. It fits the style quite well. I see why they call it Ruination because it completely ruined my palate.

An appealing pale gold haze gives way to a nice frothy head.

Distinctly hoppy smell lets you know this is def an IPA maybe a little pine also.

The piny bitter taste hits me right away as it is then subdued by a citrus sweetness that gives this beer lasting drinkability for me.

Great mouthfeel with a good balance to its taste that's not to creamy and not to smooth.

This and their regular IPA have sold me on IPAs (not to mention their Belgain IPA). Was starting to turn around and with the help of Boulevard. A trip out to Colorado helped me really appreciate this style.

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into an oversize wine glass at about 42 degrees.

Appearance: A medium gold color with an orangish tint. There is a nice one finger head that has some retention. As the dissipates it leaves a nice lacing on the glass. There is some carbonation in the beer. The clarity of the beer is slightly cloudy.

Nose: A heavy grapefruit, pine and floral aroma. There is a subtle sweetness in the maltiness.

Taste: A nice grapefruit, pine and floral, follow a nice malty backbone. There is a subtle sweetness in the beer.

Overall: An astringent chalky mouth feel, with a bitter finish that last on the palate. The IPA is well built and is very nice to enjoy. I don't usually like IPAs but this one is an exception. I like the way it was make and I like Stone brewery. The only thing I can think of is try to bring the maltiness forward a bit.

4.32/5  rDev +0.5%

Had it on tap at Max's. Was a nice cloudy amber/orange color. Lacing lasted pretty much the whole beer.

Smell was a deep hop note, with next to no malt noticeable, unsurprising in the style. Very rich smell.

Continuation of the smell. A rich hop taste, where the malt is a bit more noted here then in the smell. A floral taste in a sense. The hops are noted in the mouthfeel as well so its medium to almost thick, with just a bit of carbonation.

This is a great beer, maybe my favorite DIPA, I could drink a couple of these a night, but I probably shouldn't do too many of them. The alcohol is why, not the hops.

4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

A- Looks a lot like a hefeweizen- cloudy, light gold appearance. Very fluffy white head.

S- Smells of pine and citrus.

T- Tons of hops. Orange peel, citrus, and pine are present in the after taste.

M- Not watery at all (I dont want to say creamy). Bitter with moderate carbonation.

D- Excellent Imperial IPA. I would say I like the regular Stone IPA better, however. This one is a little heavier than the regular Stone IPA, which makes it a little less drinkable in my opinion. Would prefer just drinking about 3 of these as opposed to an entire 6 pack in one sitting. Highly recommended if you are a big hop fan.

4.67/5  rDev +8.6%

Hoppy, hoppy, hoppy. Oh yeah and it's hoppy too.
If I rank this beer on the hoppiness scale I would have to say that very few beers can beat it. The beer is designed to shock the taste buds with so much hop flavor and bitter bite that the carbonation is almost an after thought. I love this beer. I am a true hophead and this beer is not for the faint of heart. Lift up your glass and sip it down.

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my third beer from Stone Brewing, and they are still to dissapoint me. This is almost as excellent as an IPA gets.

The beer pours a burning golden/orange color with a huge white head that stays until the beer is finished. It leaves quite a lacing on the glass aswell.

Smells great of hops and tropical fruits, you can really tell that this one is packed with hops due to the almost parfumy smell of hops.

The taste lives up to the smells with huge amounts of hops. The fruity notes from the smell can really be felt in the taste aswell. There are also notes of pine-needles and some fudge candy. The beer is suprisingly malty for an IPA.

All and all, a great IPA from a great Brewery.

4.7/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Aah, the legendary Ruination from Stone. I've been wanting to try this one for a long, long time.

Poured from a bomber style bottle into a pokal.

A - Beautiful orangey amber with a touch of haze. Nice nuggety head that looked as if it intended to maintain itself forever.

S - Wow. Where to begin? This is a massively complex beer. Citrus with floral. Pine with Herbs, and grasses. Woody and sweet. Dusty, with minerals. I think that about covers it.

T - Wow again. There's just so much there. Fruity esters and alcohol. Citrusy with loads of hops. Pine and herbs (rosemary, lavender?) all over the place. Floral and woody, almost sawdusty. Definitely a huge bitter element, but it's all part of the grand scheme. Excellent flavor in this beer.

M - soft and wonderful

D - I could drink a terrifying number of these beers. They could truly be my ruination.

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

12oz bottle at Dain's, dated 1/14/09
After just having a regular stone ipa, noticed darker and richer color in this one. Loaded with good stuff, obviously. Blows competition out the water with the flavor. There can only be one, and seriously, one - I wouldn't even ask for another of these in the same night.
Mad respectable as an annihilating hopfix. Makes up for all the other little pissy beers you've ever had to drink. Will probably give one of these to my son on his 21st birthday (or 18th). Teach a man to fish...

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

on tap @ Blind Tiger.

When I had the bomber of this brew, I thought to myself it can't possibly be any better on tap, and I was dead wrong.

It poured a beautiful peach-y orange body with a huge creamy head. TONS of lacing, very fresh. The aroma hit me before I even put my nose to it - those great Stone hops, pine, citrus, pineapple. Delicious. The taste was of smooth malts, ripe pineapple and peaches followed by the welcoming pine-y hop kick.

It was so crisp and intense on the palate it's hard to describe. Went down so well and so smooth. If you've never had this beauty on tap before, do not pass up the opportunity if one surfaces.

3.25/5  rDev -24.4%

I was really excited to try this beer. But I have been unsatisfied with virtually every beer I have had from this brewery.

It must be me. All their beers are highly rated on BA and seem to have a strong following but I have been disappointed in all the beers I have tried from here.

This beer looks promising, nice color, nice head. The smell is of citrusy hops and slightly piney.

The taste was average at best. Bitter, bitter hops, no character, no depth, biting hop flavor. Did they even try? This is weak. It's just a hop bomb. I love hoppy brews but this is not a good IIPA. It tastes like a standard IPA with a touch of alcohol.

This beer doesn't do anything for me and pales in comparison to the king of IIPA's, DFH 90 minute.

4.82/5  rDev +12.1%

12 oz. bottle poured into an American pint glass

A: Pours a hazy dark gold, with a small white head (maybe I should have poured a little harder), but leaves a decent amount of lacing.

S: Like walking through a pine forest while drinking gin and carrying various lemons and grapefruits. An abundance of complex hoppy aromas.

T: Marvelous. Just...beautiful. Very, very piney and bitter. Some slight citric flavors as well, but mostly piney. Very little malt presence...it's unbalanced, but beautifully and intentionally so.

M: Extremely crisp, though not quite puckering. Just the right amount of carbonation as well. It's tingly all the way down.

D: If this weren't 7.7% ABV (and also expensive), I could be happy only drinking this beer. And I'd drink many of them every day. It goes down very easily, especially considering how bitter it is.

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%

12 oz bottle poured in to a goblet

pours a clear dark golden color with a steady white head.

Crisp clean smell of grapefruit, pine, and malty sweetness.

Great taste of bitterness and malty. Very sharp bitterness that leaves each taste better than the last.

Good mouthfeel, but the dry bitterness makes very drinkable.

3.95/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This is my favorite IPA, rich with Hops and heavy on the palate, but very enjoyable once you develop your taste for IPA's! Stone brews are all similar in their high alcohol percentage but still very enjoyable for the micro-brew connoisseur. There short story's on the back of all their brews are enjoyable to read as well and I find Ruination's to be true, the part about not being able to enjoy lesser brews after developing a favorable taste to the double IPA! Great Brew! and cheers to all the Hop Heads!

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass - no freshness date

Straight out, I love this beer. This beer takes a risk and it pays off. It makes a bold statement and does not spare the exclamation point at the end.

Pour: Light colored, like straw. Ruination has a healthy foamy head, 2.5 fingers that last. It leaves a thick sheet of beautiful lacework once it does settle.

Smell: In a word, HOPS. The hops are ever present, yet this beer still isn't bitter. The malt and alcohol keep the hops in check. Yes, there is a citrus undertone, and some toasted muffin scent underneath.

Taste: This is where this beer really wins out. Yes, it is a powerful IPA, but this is no one trick pony either. This beer continues to impress with a complex array of flavors from the citrus lead in to a more refined cookie or biscuit taste in the end. Some people think this beer is bitter, I would say it is strong. There is almost an edge, but just as you think it has an edge, it lets off and gives you desert.

Drinkability: I could drink this beer all day, but I love the hops and complexity.

Notes:
I don't like to claim I have a favorite beer because there are beers for every occasion. This beer is definitely one of my tops though. I can enjoy this beer any time.

I like this beer, it is the good stansd by for all occasions,

A- golden orange in color, this looks good

S- BITTER and more BITTER but good very piney and citrus orange peel

T- as the label claims, destruction of your palate, this is the only beer i have had that i still taste the next day.

M- normal for an IPA and IIPA but good and very drinkable and enjoyable.

D- Good, i have had several half barrels of this and continue to enjoy it in my home draft system. not my number one draft but pretty close.

overall great beer with great availibilty..

4.73/5  rDev +10%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a pint glass; no freshness date

P: Pours light gold from the bottle, and looks a golden honey color in the glass. Huge, healthy pearly white head is thick and creamy, showing amazing retention! Leaves a thick sheet of beautiful lacework as it finally settles. One of the better lace jobs I've seen yet.

A: Hops, hops, and some more hops. Got a little lemon pine sol aroma to it, with some oranges and pineapple as well. Buried underneath all of this mind-blowing hop goodness is a toasty biscuity malt presence.

T: Wow! I was pretty sure that I'd like this by the smell of it, but this is even better than I expected. It's fantastic! Huge waves of delicious citrusy hops come crashing down on the tongue in the somewhat sweet start, then the bitterness begins to take over from there. Mouth-watering hop flavors full of lemons, clementines, and some pineyness has me hypnotized under it's spell. It's no one trick pony, though, as there is a nice clean biscuity malt presence with some caramel in the background. But, make no mistake, the hops are being showcased here front and center. There is a pungeant flavor that emerges halfway through that I find extremely pleasant, only adding to the depth of character. Finishes dry & full of bittering hops just as it should, but they are gentle IBU's if you can believe it. Aftertaste leaves your tongue tingling like crazy and yearning for some more hop-a-licious goodness. Outstanding!!!

M: Medium-bodied, deceptively smooth, and perfectly carbonated to provide the ideal bite to compliment the bitterness.

D: Excellent. What else can you say?

Notes: I love Stone beers! They are always incredibly full-flavored, bold, robust, and full of that signature character they always bring to the table. Ruination is no exception. To tell you the truth, it reminds me a bit of Hop Wallop. But, this blows it out of the water as far as I'm concerned. I think Ruination is, obviously, hop-forward in the taste, but does a great job of staying somewhat balanced and never crosses the line into the territory of being overwhelming. One of my favorites for sure! Highly recommended

4.52/5  rDev +5.1%

Golden color with thin head. Smells of citrusy hops and a little bit of malty sweetness. Very pleasing smell, the hops are well present. Taste starts with herbal, sour hop bitterness with some grapefruit, a little bit of malt in the background, then finishes with INTENSE bitterness and a small touch of alcohol. The carbonation is at a nice level and does not seem to attenuate the grapefruit flavors of the hops too much. Excellent feel in the mouth, and very easy to drink.

What a delight. The bitterness of this brew is what really makes it great. There is not too much sweety maltness going on, at least that I can taste, compared to some other double IPAs. That said, I did not taste any exceptional flavors or oils from the hops, but the ones I noticed were very good.

4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

Hazy yellowy orange color and a smallish cloudy white head. The smell of hops is insanely huge with hops and the flavor hits you with an equally insane hop feel and hints of fruit, mainly orange and pineapple. Extremely tasty brew, and it just might ruin you.

3.3/5  rDev -23.3%

A- Gold color with lots of activity and a quarter inch of white head looks creamy.

S- Clean hops but not much there

T- Big hop kick but no malt some in the background but weak.

M- good thickness and nice carbonation.

D- A slow drinker, overall solid but not as good as others from Stone.

4.82/5  rDev +12.1%

The story ptinted on the label warns "if you are not already a confirmed hophead... ...this is
NOT a place start."

I wish people would read this before buying and reviewing. If they were allergic to peanuts I would just assume not read their review of Skippy peanut butter either.

I consider myself a hophead. I do love this beer. I remember the first time I tried it. It was a WOW experience. It is not just a highly hopped ale. It is a short intense tongue-trip.

I drank a bottle last night with the intent to review. Here is what I wrote:

L - Attractive amber color - clear not hazy. Nice foamy head that forms rings with lacy patterns between.

S - Hops! Smells gorgeous like a bag of centenial. After tasting you can continue to smell the hops when you exhale through your nose with your mouth closed.

T - Hop bitterness is pronounced but the malt side is present and in good form - honey buns or donuts. This beer tastes very good.

M - Medium full. There is a nice sticky foam on the lips after each sip

D - If I had another I would drink it. Thoroughly enjoyable.

2.7/5  rDev -37.2%

Bottle. Pours amber, smells citrus and piney. Intense hoppiness does ruin the palate just as promised once consumed. It was almost spicy because of all the hops, definitely unlike any other DIPA I've ever had. I wouldn't say it was a bad beer, I just felt it didn't necessarily live up to the hype and I found it to be kind of one note. Not really a bad brew, just not anything I'll be drinking again anytime soon.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

A - Pours a cloudy golden straw color with a thick off white head that has great retention. Good lacing.

S - Hops, citrus, pines, fruity, just damn good.

T - Mmmm... Really good and balanced with just the right amount of bitterness. Tastes of citrus, probably grapfruit.

D - With a low abv for a DIPA and a good clean taste I could drink a coupld 22ozs with no problem.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.