Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,052 | Hads: 10,613

this one is my first 5.0 a+ beer, this one is not for the faint of heart, this is big and bold and the bitterist beer i have ever had, if you like hops as much as i do than this beer is for you, but if you are a biggner or scard of the hops than this is not for you, this beer boast 115 ibu's and the name and bottle say it all, your tast buds will be signifantley ruined to all outher tates after drinking this one. this one is perfection in a glass and the standard b y witch i judge all outher ips's (502 characters)

This one damn proud IPA. Where other beers would hide their hops behind sweet malt, Ruination merely doubles up on them. Consider this review an homage to the only IPA to truly get it right.

Nothing subtle going on here. My glass looks and smells like concentrated hop jizz just exploded all over it. I cannot honestly compare this to any sort of wimpy citrus or pine collaboration, it is an aroma all its own, a deep dank tangy bitterness running circles around every other IPA I've ever had.

Like I noted in the scent, there is something truly subterranean about this brew. Maybe I am drinking the product of some inhuman quasi-natural disaster? Perhaps the enlivened root system of an evil pine tree has taken hold of a grapefruit tree buried somewhere deep beneath a Chilean coal mine before it explodes and vaporizes all organic compounds in proximity? If it has, this is the acid rain of that explosion, and it tastes so good!

You know how when you go back in for that last little follow up sip of a beer and it's missing the *pow* that a deeper slug would give you? Yeah, this beer doesn't either. Every little drop is dripping with flavor, tongue-curling flavor.

So easily my favorite DIPA it's not even funny. This hop monster makes Pliny look like it hasn't even earned an I much less a D.

I guess it's true. I'm going nuts. Stone has won my heart. Those insensitive jerks!

(Bomber into snifter; golden orange; seafoam bone head.) (1,447 characters)

Probably one of the best Imperial IPA's I have ever had.

The appearance was great a nice 2 finger head and beautiful light amber color.

The smell is of hops is deep with a citrus note and slight malt note.

The taste is sweet malt on the tip of the tongue and hops the rest of the way.

Mouthfeel is medium body with a nice level of carbination. (347 characters)

Far and away my favorite DIPA of em all, it holds true to it's word though, in ruins you're palate but in a good way. Tast is very hoppy and very bitter but it's DIPA what really did you expect? ;-) Mouthfeel is very full feeling with the alcohol not being too overpowering to you but I could see being very well off after a few of these. My tip is to open this up and pour into a glass and take a smell right off the bat. That, my friends, is a dang good IPA. (460 characters)

No question, it's hoppy, but in the perfect way.
If you don't like bitter beers then it's probably not for you, but it is worth a try to see if you would enjoy it. It could be your gateway to the wonderful world of hops up on hops.

Stone has sort of made themselves famous for their use of hops and it truly shows.
The smell is not offensive, rather a bit sweet and enticing.
The carbonation is just right.
The flavor is very balanced. (436 characters)

Stones "smoked porter" was my favorite of Stone's beers, then i tried Ruination. a double ipa even though it doesn't say it on the bottle, how could a beer with this high of i.b.u.s not be a double! this is my favorite double ipa out there heck this is probably even my favorite ipa period. there is not one thing lacking or wrong with this beer, the PERFECT example of a double ipa. GLORIOUS. very VERY hoppy but still balanced in an amazing way...pours golden yellow with slight haziness and reeks of bitter/sweet hops. immediate shock to the palate with an overabundance of hoppiness yet still as i said perfectly balanced... i cant come close to describing how great this beer is so just TRY IT 4 YOURSELF! (710 characters)

Stone Ruination IPA
Stone Brewing Co.
Imperial IPA
7.7% ABV
OG?
100+ IBUs
12 oz bottle with an "enjoy by" date of October 19, 2010 poured into a New Belgium snifter

Appearance 5/5
Very clear orange-red; amber when backlit with white light. Big, off-white, persistent head and insanely fantastic lacing.

Aroma 5/5
Very fresh and herbal, intense, hop aroma. Piney and grassy. I can smell it without sticking my nose in it.

Taste 5/5
Starts bitter, finishes bitter; or as BJCP says, absurdly bitter. There's a decent malt backbone, but I must say that it's just a backbone: no sweetness can be perceived when the beer is cold and it's tough to let it warm (see Drinkability). But for the sake of review, I let another bottle warm up, and the hop flavor, combined with the malts renders a fruity character before the finish. But this beer is not about malt character at all. It's all it claims to be! A dry and bittering finish, with notable warming; not just mouth (tongue, teeth, even lips), even my throat is bitter. The best kind of bitter, that could have gotten annoying, which brings us to the next item.

Mouthfeel 5/5
Hard to say whether it's an IPA or a DIPA, on the basis of mouthfeel alone but this won't deter me from giving this one the best score. The body is spot on, less than this could have made this an annoying experiment. Well carbonated and crisp, but not harsh.

Drinkability 5/5
Supreme. Nobody can have just one*
*Talking about those who can have one in the first place.

Other
Indeed a liquid poem to the glory of the hop. Had been waiting to get a fresh bottle to review and I have to say, it doesn't get better. (1,639 characters)

I'm not going to go through a lot of hoops here.
I bought this beer based on a magazine review.,
Being a hophead i was hoping this was a decent beer but not that exceptional because it's a bit pricey.
But after taking my first sip it was simply the best beer i have ever had.
It's to hoppy for most of my friends so it does not even make it the beer fridge. It's only for me.
If you like Hops try this one. But be prepared to fall in love.

If there is a better hoppy beer out there please let me know. I would love to try it. (526 characters)

delicious absolutely delicious.
delicious absolutely delicious. (255 characters)

ten out of ten. absolutely awesome IPA. SO DAMN GREAT. I do not wanna get into a detailed description right now, so let me just say it is a magical, awesome IPA that I can enjoy time and time again. Thank you. ... I will be enjoying this brew in the near future because, well, it is great. Please, try one now. SO GREAT! (320 characters)

Had on-tap at Brewery Night at Flying Saucer in Raleigh.

I have seen the beer under the IPA and double IPA categories. To me, it did seem like a borderline beer that could easily go under either category. The beer definitely has more hoppiness to it than some normal IPAs. However, the hops did not completely dominate the taste of the beer like some other Double IPAs that I have had. There was a very complex array of tastes that you get in every regular IPA, but it seemed to have that much more flavor to balance well with the hops. That is why, in my opinion, it is probably the best IPA I have ever had. Not to mention, I got a sweet pint glass with it.

I highly recommend this beer, whether it be in a bottle from the store or on-tap at the bar. (755 characters)

This beer is the stuff of dreams for any dedicated hop head, such as myself. What a glorious experience indeed. The body is liquid gold, with an inch and a half thick head that crowns atop it. The carbonation in the underlying liquid is picture perfect, and the thick body slows the ascent of the tiny bubbles down noticeably. The head recedes down to a quarter inch in height, but never completely fades. Lacing is excellent as the beer goes into me.

The aroma is like being airdropped into a pine forest. The cascade hops assault the palette with their pine resin like quality from the first sip. The flavors of grapefruit, butterscotch, peach, pear, and sour apple are also evident as let the beer lap my tounge.

On most other IPAs the hop burps are the last thing to enjoy after the beer, but here, they come after just a few sips. The malt backbone is quite solid indeed, but is only there to hold up the hops. The alcohol is in there somewhere, but under the blanket of hops you never taste it, until your head starts spinning. The mouthfeal is creamy, and the drinkability is so good, it is scary.

For me this is the pinnacle of the art of brewing. A beer this good does not come around often. Every beer lover should try this at least once. If you are not a hop head before, this beer may well convert you into one. Thank God, Liquid Solutions ships to Georgia. This beer will be on my shopping list during the next beer run to Chattanooga. And when that dreaded ABV cap is lifted, it will be hard to pick up anything else when I see Ruination on the shelves. (1,576 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +16.6%

My favorite all-time beer to date. Hoppy deliousness. Great taste. Great finish. Doesn't get much better this. If you enjoy DIPAs and hoppy IPAs. then you will enjoy this. Very hopforward with the perfect amount of bitterness with a piney, citrusy finish. (255 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

Served on tap in a sample glass.

Appearance: Darker amber color, with a white head.

Smell: Holy hops! Nothing but citrus/hop smells.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Medium bodied, and smooth. A very hoppy, citrusy beer. Great taste!

Overall: Very enjoyable brew, always heard good things about this one, so I am very glad I tried it. (322 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

I love this beer. It has a wonderful aroma of citrus and pine. The taste is of citrus and its dry and sour like grapefruit. The look of the beer is great with a amber golden color, a little cloudy, and some light lacing. The mouth feel is dry and it has great carbonation. Overall another great stone ipa. In other news i have read some low reviews on this beer that say i don't really like the style ipa...my question is why keep reviewing ipas....your super low reviews just hurt the rating.... does not make sense.. if you don't like curtain styles don't drink or review them... ok i am done with my rant... (610 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

Had on cast at O' Brian's pub in San Diego in a pint glass, July 2nd, 2009 this review is a little overdue

A: A nice thick golden pour, it was noticeably more cloudy on cast then from the bottle. Nice frothy two finger head with good lacing

S: Very aromatic, the cast brings out the melon a lot more, along with this the hops. And more hopes. Very sweet tangy, but not overbearing citrus smell

T: Its hoppiness is first noticeable, and then grapefruit follows and possibly lemon. Definitely characterized by piney hops, however it wasn't over bearing and had a very nice balance with the citrus fruits. The bitterness comes out more in the Cast, which I thought it made it the perfect amount

M: Very nice mouth feel, and very crisp, and less carbonation in the cast, which I greatly preferred over the bottle. Nice lingering in the back of the palette leaving a constant reminder of how enjoyable this beer is

D: I could drink this stuff all day long, but I have to save up for a car...

Overall: I have loved this beer for a long time now, but if you have the chance to get it on cast it makes a huge difference. The flavors pop out even more and the lighter carbonation allows the beer to really linger in your mouth (1,228 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

In full-disclosure, I am an absolute hop-head. If you're not, don't even bother trying Stone Ruination---at 100+ IBU rating, expect extreme hops, with all the bitterness and flavor that goes along with it.

It's a beer that truly lives up to its name. The first time I tried Ruination, it was my first of three different IPAs I tried that night. While the other two beers were fine out of context, they couldn't come close to comparing to the complexity & sheer hop-bomb goodness of the Ruination.

Definitely in my top three favorite IPAs, slightly beating out Dogfish Head 90min. and just under my all-time fav, The Alchemist's Heady Topper. (643 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

Poured into pint glass and had a small head with a neon amber look to it very nice and inviting lightened up a bit in the light.

The smell is of apricots and hops, nice citrusy fruits and floral bouquet very nice smell. Really a great smell thoroughly enjoyed this beer.

the taste is excellent great smooth hoppy flavor with apricots in back ground. Long lasting bitterness after taste. The mouthfeel is great smooth with a little carbonation medium bodied. I could drink this all night very easy to handle and just down right enjoyable this is probably one of my top 10 especially in the IPA or double ipa style. (615 characters)

Into a chalice:

A: light caramel colored body that yields a light foamy, one finger head with some spotty lacing trickling around the edges. This head lasts about thirty seconds and then dies, also has some light slowly moving carbonation.

S: grapefruit and other citrus fruits coming out pretty powerful. There is some pine in the background and the malts are intermingled throughout.

T: the hops intertwined very well with the malts and pine.

M:medium, slightly sessionable, well balanced between wet and dry, carbonation is slightly felt

O: right now I'm thinking I didn't know this beast was going to be this good. Holy crap, yes this is a palate wrecker, I don't think I'll have another beer the rest of the night or at least not anything that good! I'm more than impressed and yet pissed because my numbers are going through the roof on this thing. However, the next time I want this thing, I want it next to an awesome East Coast DIPA with both having the same freshness date and we'll see who's standing then. I don't even consider myself a hophead. Is this thing really this good? (1,094 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

Pours a nice pale color with a thick, frothy head (much better pour too!). Aroma is grassy and floral upfront with grapefruit in the nose. I can tell this will be one hell of a hoppy beer! Taste is malty at first and then very citrusy and floral in the middle, towards the back of the throat.This beer feels pretty well-balanced when compared to a few other Imperial IPAs I have had.

There's just enough hoppiness but not enough to overwhelm the palate. The grapefruit/citrus flavor is what I look for in an IIPA and this is no exception. Lots of lacing left behind in the glass. (581 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

Noble hop profile, rich and full bodied bliss. Delightful vanilla/honey and complex floral aromas. Inviting and well centered A-IPA. The label acts as a intimidator, but dont be fooled. Many like-characteristics with Ruination and Anderson Valley Hop Ottin' IPA. Ruination being slightly superior. My advice to anyone who enjoys the IPA, sample this. First class. (370 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

A - Pours our like liquid amber and has an off-white head that has decent retention with a little bit of lacing. It's slightly cloudy but looks clean

S - The smell is magnificent and is so full of different hops and roasted grains that you'd be OK with an air-freshener filled with it.

T - For such an intensely smelling beer, I expected the flavor to be different, but I was farrrr from disappointed. Its taste carries all of the same hop notes of the smell along with a great toasted maltiness that has some citrus to brighten it up. It's not as overpowering as the smell would lead on, and this balance is one of the keys to what makes this so wonderful.

M - Really creamy and smooth, but it doesn't coat the mouth like some thick beers can. It feels really cleanly, but leaves behind a strong scent that's not obnoxious or grainy

O - This beer imbodies how you can make an intensely hoppy beer (100+ IBUs) without making the taste overwhelming or too bitter. Easily the top of its class (994 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

WOW. I don't think I can do this one justice or add to what has already been said, but this is one big, bad, malty, insanely hoppy, kick-ass beer that has everything I love in beer. When you pour this mother out, you can tell it is thick and malty and will have the mouthfeel of syrup. The grapefruity, floral, earthy, and herbal hop aromas can be smelled from across the room. After I poured my first pint, my roomate asked if I had been brewing earlier, and said he could smell the hops as soon as he walked in the room. The flavor of this beer is the closest I have come to heaven. The hop flavors are demanding of your attention by hitting you in the face as well as exhibiting some complex subleties. I detect some grapefruit flavors, pineapple, and pine needles in the hop profile. The bitterness is there but not as bad as you would think because the ultra sweet malt sure subdues it. The malt background is sweet like molasses with some buttery and butterscotch flavors that seem to melt in your mouth. All in all a greatly complex beer that is so drinkable for all of its bigness. All other beers taste like water in comparison. (1,137 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

This is what a massive IPA should be. This beer is delicious... Heed the bottle's warning label though, this is a beer for the dedicated hop-head only.

Appearance is very, very good - an almost glowing light amber color. Full of promise. The aroma is out of this world. Like Hop perfume! Taste is almost indescribably goood. Unlike other big-hop beers, there is no competition among the hops for taste or character. The hops in this brew are all singing the same, wonderful song. Very well done indeed. Mouthfeel is refreshing, smooth and zesty. As you may have guessed, I had no problems drinking this beer down either. I could easily have several over some pool or darts. (If only distro was a bit better for Stone in my neck of the woods.) A truely exceptional brew! (772 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

end of a long day of a long week last night. A number of disaster moments, but in the end catastrophe averted. Sitting around the table eating a very tasty pizza from a nice establishment in the hood. A pie with a tangy sauce and a sausage with a zing to match. Crack out the Ruination to commemorate my survival this week...
I have had this beer before but never reviewed. this beer Rocks! my favorite of the moment of those in the DIPA class.
The smell- piney, citrusy, flowery, all the best characteristics of Stone IPA but jacked up to the nines. This beer did not overpower me and paired great with my pizza pie. Excellent head retention, glass lacing, a pretty honied color to the pour. the taste is out of this world complex, long lingering hops, grapefruit and pine- but soo so balanced and satisfiying. Rolls through your tongue and palate to a long sustained finish. On the contrare, no ruining of my buds occured-it made me clamor for more. Great beer from one the country's premier breweries. (1,006 characters)

Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.