2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 8,041 | Reviews: 2,916 | Show All Ratings:
walshclimb

Nevada

3.75/5  rDev -13%

Pours slightly cloudy pale golden with 1/2" white head that leaves decent lace. Aroma of pine and citrus hops and bready malt. The smell is surprisingly earthy to musty with a hint of soap. The taste is moderately bitter with good hop balance and a medium to long-lived bitter aftertaste. THe mouthfeel is medium bodied with a creamy texture, moderate carbonation and a slightly astringent finish. I was a little surprised by this one. I had high expectations, considering I loved their 10-year, and I really like their IPA. The smell is a little too earthy. The taste is good, and I might buy it again, but it is definitely not my favorite double IPA.

10-16-2007 16:35:17 | More by walshclimb
thisisbigrob

Kentucky

3.75/5  rDev -13%

12 oz. bottle poured into an oversized wine glass.

A: Golden with a slight burnt-orange tint. Minimal white head that disappeared quickly.

S: The high ABV is apparent just from the smell. Citrousy and tangy.

T: Bitter but not overly so. Not much malt sweetness evident. The alcohol is noticeable.

M: Lighter than I would have imagined, but makes sense without the syrupy sweetness a lot of beers use to balance the hops. Carbonation was a little on the light side, which was a good thing.

D: High ABV keeps it to a single serving per session, but slowly sipping on one of these will certainly make for a good night.

I'll keep this beer in mind if I ever see it on tap somewhere, but I personally prefer the hops I love to be better balanced with malt. I'd recommend this to anyone who likes the hops to dominate, as this certainly had everything else going good for it.

10-27-2007 22:50:40 | More by thisisbigrob
alysmith4

District of Columbia

3.75/5  rDev -13%

Wow! This beer is bitter! Very fresh and flavorful.. just what you would expect a Double IPA to be. It could be a tad hoppier and a tad less bitter for me, but that is just my taste.

The color was good. Nice and orange, with a good amount of carbonation. The smell was good as well.. a lot fruitier than I would have expected, with a nice earthy tone.

The taste was knock-your-socks-off bitter. For me, the bitterness (100 IBU's) was too much, and it overwhelmed any of the other flavors. As it warmed however, the bitterness mellowed and the hops came through. This is one that I would recommend, but I would suggest having it on the warmer side.

02-26-2008 02:51:57 | More by alysmith4
kemoarps

Missouri

3.75/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Now I will preface this with a disclaimer: I'm not a huge hop fan. Not a big IPA guy. Not a huge fan of the more bitter beers. So this is more a comparison to other IPAs I've had than an absolute scale of my enjoyment.

Poured a cloudy amber, that settled into a pretty, straw gold colour. Nice white head, probably half an inch with decent retention.

The spices that hit you rnose when you hold it up to your face are admittedly enticing. Kind of a sweet and spicy scent to it, reminscent almost of white pepper

The taste follows the aroma, with an obviously high hop profile, I almost expected it to be legit spicy (like jalapeno chip spicy), but it wasn't. Bitter, something almost like the taste of rosebuds in the middle of the body.

Fairly smoothe brew, goes down easy. Drinkable, if it is to your taste. As one who is generally not a fan of IPAs, I probably wouldn't go get another one, but as IPAs go, it's pretty good. My best friend really likes it (she likes hops), and I bet my dad would too.

11-27-2008 04:25:41 | More by kemoarps
LilBeerDoctor

3.75/5  rDev -13%

Reviewed on 6/11/08. Bottle. Pours an orange/amber with a light tan head. Aroma of citrus, grapefruit, and pine. Flavor of bready malt, bitter hops (pine, citrus), and spices/salt. Really an onslaught of hops in this beer. Nice strong malt presence to mesh with the strong hops. A very good IPA, very well-balanced.
8/4/9/4/15 (4.0/5)

Update 12/30/08. Had a fresh bottle of this again. It is good but super bitter. Not as good as I originally thought but still tasty. Your palate really does take a beating.
7/4/8/4/15 (3.8/4)

12-20-2008 15:23:57 | More by LilBeerDoctor
bowersdm

12oz bottle poured into a bavarian pilsner

A - amber color with an ~2cm head that eventually settled into a 1cm head which crowned the beer the whole time.

S - lots of hops: grapefruit, pineapple, pine

T - more hops: grapefruit, pineapple, pine resin. it has a pretty bitter finish too, more so than Arrogant Bastard or Double Bastard. i didn't taste any malt, which in a DIPA, usually doesn't happen. As it warmed, there was a strong herbal/unsweetened tea flavor.

M - good. normal for an IPA.

D - I don't like DIPAs. To me, anyone can make an exceptionally hoppy beer. Plus, all DIPAs end up tasting the same. there's really no variety among them.

03-02-2009 03:45:09 | More by bowersdm
JAStheAce

3.75/5  rDev -13%

A - bright pale orange, a little hazy

S - piney, outdoor, forest. Good whiffs of the alcohol

T - A bitter overwhelming hop explosion. The subtle malt undertones are represented and they do come through after the onslaught of hops takes a rest before my next sip

M - This is a serious beer and the Stoners know what they are doing. Flavor languished in my mouth for a while after every sip as this brew wants to continue 'ruining' your perception of taste as it clots your taste buds

D - I stand by the statement that I am not a fan of the IPA's. However, beers like this and the Dogfish Head 60 minute are gradually opening me up to the style.

05-26-2009 04:09:57 | More by JAStheAce
jampics2

3.75/5  rDev -13%

On tap at the Winking Lizard. Served in a tulip. I've had this before, just finally getting the rating in :)

A: Orange, even some tangerine. This looks great!

S: Sweet, slinky hops. Some funky dankness. Chronic leaves, no seeds.

T: Hop overload. These are those really sticky dark hops, that provide maximum enamel melt. Smooth considering the high bitterness. Body goes a bit flat at the end and has a slightly watery finish. Tea and citrus notes linger.

M: Super carbed, light viscosity, oily and sticky but crisp at the same time.

D: Hopheads only. And even most won't put down more than one. Catch-22 is that you won't get to taste what you have next ;)

12-05-2009 15:45:22 | More by jampics2
chaz410

3.75/5  rDev -13%

Got this beer at the flying saucer in Charlotte NC.
Pours a straw colored yellow body with a finger length white head.
Smells of intense pine and grassy hops. Very dry smell with very little malt undertone.
The taste is similar to the smell, very dry, piney, hoppy and some citrus note. There's some basic caramel like quality to the malt but it's mostly the hop dry kick. Very bitter on the end and very dry.
It's mouthfeel could be thicker in comparison to other IPAs in this ABV field.
It's not very drinkable because of the intense hop dryness but that's what most people order this beer for. I knew what i was getting into when I ordered it and I don't regret a sip

08-26-2010 02:55:57 | More by chaz410
SacredBeverage

3.75/5  rDev -13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: A nice golden color with a reddish hue. Slightly cloudy.

S: A strong citrus aroma but not too overpowering. Good overall.

T: It is a good IPA, but with a slight bitter aftertaste, almost like an orange rind. The bitterness seems to take away from the taste some, but the beer quality is still great. It does have a nice refreshing taste to it.

M: The Mouthfeel might just be the best part to this Beer. Very smooth feel to it, very nice.

D: The drinkability is not very high for me because I'm not a real big fan of IPA's in general but this was definitely the best I've had. I wouldn't have this over and over again though. Overall, a good Beer but just not my style.

02-18-2011 20:05:49 | More by SacredBeverage
dizknee24

3.75/5  rDev -13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

CLoudy amber with little to no head apparent. Smell was great. yeasty hoppy malty. It smelled like one great ipa. this taste was not what im looking for in an ipa. too strong for my liking. I want to be able to taste something after. i understand that ipas will do this but it should be the first one that i have had all day. over all i will not be getting this again. not saying its bad just not for me.

03-13-2011 20:49:40 | More by dizknee24
Brabander

Netherlands

3.75/5  rDev -13%

Today Sietse (apophis666) paid me a visit. He loves the IPA beers so i cracked a few open. I got this bottle in a trade with listenatjoes.

This beer is not my style to be honest and this beer was an exeption (happy!!).

This beer has a light citrus taste ans there is some creamyness. There is no real bitter aftertaste and that makes this beer a good one for a non IPA lover.

04-03-2011 19:33:53 | More by Brabander
ActualAir

3.75/5  rDev -13%

Pours into a glass chalace a clear honey color with a solid head of off-white foam. Stone beers always impress me with how well constructed they are in this regard. Skunky, floral hops on the edges of the glass with notes of malt coming from the middle. Bitter hops dominate the palate with floral pine and grapefruit notes not far behind. Dense but not heavy in mouthfeel with the bitter hops leaving the edges of the tongue tingling.

Overall, it's a bright, bold and bitter double IPA that's not overpower and, ultimately, drinkable.

04-04-2011 01:36:45 | More by ActualAir
themind

3.75/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

What can one say about Stone? they continually produce quality beers and this is one of them. This is a good, solid everyday beer that is refreshing. Pours a nice head and has a good aroma. This beer is perfect for introducing a novice beer snob into the World of craft beer. Watch out for the bitterness though...it's strong!

Bottom Line: Looking for a flat out good, drinkable beer...here it is.

02-02-2013 15:34:13 | More by themind
screamking

3.75/5  rDev -13%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle poured into snifter.

Look:light amber, thin of white head,
Aroma notes:grapefruit, orange, caramel, honey, vanillia.
Tasting notes:orange, caramel, clove honey, brown sugar, lemon zest.

This beer is very balanced, the malt notes play of the hop bitterness very well. It sits close to the edge of greatness for me, but it still has a ways to go. I wouldn't put it ahead of some of the major players, but it can stand on its own.

12-07-2013 04:23:55 | More by screamking
Litterbean

3.73/5  rDev -13.5%

Pours a golden orange, with a thin head that leaves a bit of lace. Slightly hazy but bright and vibrant.

Smells primarily of hops. Hints of mint leaves, orange, and assorted other fruits and spices. A sort of sweet and spicy smell is also in there.

I expected this to taste a bit more hoppy. It's very sweet, and I feel that Stone's regular IPA is more palatable. Still, it's a good taste. Some sweet candy like flavors with a real biting chewy hoppiness. The mouthfeel is smooth, but the hoppiness is a bit oily and chewy. Still, refreshing as hell on a hot night.

06-14-2005 03:23:41 | More by Litterbean
Illinick

3.73/5  rDev -13.5%

A: Pale golden amber in color with a slightly off white head that retains nicely. Really good lacing throughout.
S: Complex. Some tropical fruit-pineapple, lots of floral hops, some citrus rind smells, and some definate piney and woody smells. A sweet malt smell seems to run the gamut. My girlfriend said it smelled almost like perfume and I concor.
T: Again with the complexity. Surprisingly the sweet malt flavors seem to dominate. Sweet bread and roasted sweet nut flavors. Woody and piney flavors also. Some tropical cooked fruit flavors-cooked pineapple and also some cooked fruit rind. Hops peek through now and again, but are not bitter and usually make a presence felt in some citrus flavors. The alcohol really makes itself felt throughout and seems to be the driving force here.
MF: Chewy at times and finishes with alcohol warmth.
Overall: A unique brew with some unexpected flavors. The drinkability may be low for some because of the alcohol presence. But a strong, out of the box DIPA.

06-17-2006 18:34:48 | More by Illinick
Atlas1

3.73/5  rDev -13.5%

I know, I know... I'm not worthy, and all that other Stone stuff. So let's get down to business, shall we.

Pours a good looking golden amber color with a big sparkly two-finger head that settles down a bit in time but leaves some sticky-looking lace in its wake. Smells hoppy, with a very floral piney/grapefruit aroma. More pine than citrusy here, but a very pleasant scent for sure. Hmmm... a big hoppy taste, but not quite what I was expecting. I mean, yes it's big and yes it's bursting with all sorts of hop goodness, but it doesn't really seem all that complex to me. The hops are almost overdone a bit, and what little malt character is present doesn't seem to balance things out very well at all. Sure, it's a tasty brew, if you like hops, but it doesn't add much to the whole double IPA movement sweeping the American landscape beyond being big and hoppy. Sturdy, almost creamy (but dry) mouthfeel. A drinkable beer, but again, only if you like lots and lots of hops. Otherwise, I honestly believer there are better, more evenly balanced double IPAs out there worth visiting. I'd take an Oaked Arrogant Bastard over the Ruination any day.

06-13-2007 22:39:52 | More by Atlas1
Offa

3.73/5  rDev -13.5%

I'm not the biggest fan of IPA, which is overall one of my least favourite styles but, ironically, I generally prefer double IPAs. This is a good one, although not something I would drink often. I think the extra alcohol and malt, along with the use of hop flavours rather than simple bitterness really is the key.

It's gold with a thick, lasting white head and good lacing. The aroma is extremely hoppy, but pleasantly so, being very floral and even soft and sweet, with some malty caramel quality underneath.

The taste is bitter and very hoppy in flavour. It's somewhat complex and interesting with a lot of flowery pine and citrus and has a good, fairly strong malt body, richness, with smooth sweetness to balance the hops. My biggest problem is that it feels, especially in the finishing bitterness, like it's drying my toungue with a thick towel, which is rather unpleasant. This is a rough, unnecessarily harsh hop element that I don't care for in the least and I cannot remotely understand why anyone would enjoy it.

It's somewhat interesting and flavourful, but for me not all that drinkable.

04-18-2008 23:04:05 | More by Offa
DannyS

3.73/5  rDev -13.5%

Well, I've had Hopslam and both the DFH 60 & 90 minute IPA's, this could either be my next step into hop head initiation, or something that deters me. Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into my tulip glass.

A - Very nice dark amber with a thick, pillow of bright white foam. Good retention and lacing.

S - Pine, floral, citrus. One of the best hop aromas I've ever had the privilege to smell, with an excellent malty sweet backing.

T - This is where I got kind of disappointed. It's by no means bad, but it's not as complex as I was expecting. Sure, it's got a lot of bitterness and good hop flavor, but it's just so obnoxiously in your face that the rest of the flavors have a tough time getting through. But, it does open up as it warms up. Good bit of grapefruit and smokiness, but it's a tough nugget to crack.

M - The hops leave a slight resiny, tingly feel, but the body is medium weight and the carbonation is good.

D - I seem to have a high tolerance for bitterness, so I could easily finish off the bomber, but the enjoyability declines as the bitterness continues to assault one's palate.

overall - I loved Arrogant Bastard because it doesn't talk bullshit about it being a tasty, complex brew. This one seems to complete its own mission of being an unabashed ode to hops, which I guess isn't a bad thing, it's just not as balanced or as enjoyable as their flagship brew. Whenever I braced myself with other DIPA's for the bitter hop grenade that never came, this is where it all went.

I am, however, finishing (and enjoying) the whole bomber, just out of spite. Once again, take that, Gargoyle dude!

04-14-2009 23:22:10 | More by DannyS
david18

3.73/5  rDev -13.5%

A little hotter than a typical double ipa, particularly given the low abv but a good double none the less . Like the arrogant bastard, i don't get it as much as i might sinces it's become so available but i think it's worth getting over many double ipas.

07-21-2009 23:19:42 | More by david18
akorsak

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A 1L swingtop growler filled at Al's yesterday.

A: The DIPA is a golden orange, a glow that has sunset written all over it. Moderately hazy, the ale pulls off, on third pour, a finger of head that has legs.

S: Orange peel and grapefruit dominate, a syrupy sweet bitterness that is wicked bitter. The hoppiness is as floral as it is sharp, covering up all traces of malt (and therefore all semblance of balance).

T: The floral intricacies of the nose disappear in the face of an all-out assault on the senses (at least taste). The hops are a wall of bite, sharp and nearly unending. The devil is in the details though, as smaller sips reveal the breadth of the hops. The floral flavors are there, just look for 'em, along with the orange peel. Unfortunately a heavy-handed alcohol comes along for the ride. The ale lacks balance, plain and simple. Lots of hops, I like that. Too much booze, I don't like that.

M: Without the booze I really like the ale. The hops are floral and full, awesome in their own right.

D: Under 8%? That surprises the hell out of me. It feels like it should be twice that. I'm not worthy anymore, methinks.

Serving type: growler

05-15-2010 01:42:46 | More by akorsak
WastingFreetime

Wisconsin

3.73/5  rDev -13.5%

Hazy deep orange in color with a quickly receding single finger eggshell colored head.

Smells of white pepper sprinkled on lemon and grapefruit rind with loads of pine tree sap. Cowering in the shadowy background is a faint glimmer of toasted malt.

Tastes just as peppery as the nose, but leans more toward citrus peel elements than pine elements, and quickly changes into a straightforward power chord of boiling-step addition hop bittering (boiled pine) that absolutely blasts away the feeble malt presence. It does often feel unbalanced because there just isn't quite enough malt to make a solid canvas for the astringency of the muscle-car engine that is the hop bittering to truly shine upon. And that transition from one kind of hop profile into the other is clunky and sudden, like a switch suddenly being thrown.

Mouthfeel is a bit on the thin side of medium, but damn is it ever creamy and smooth in texture, which makes up for the thinness. The ABV is well hidden, at no point at all does it behave boozey or "hot".

This brew is just like the muscle car metaphor I used earlier. Simple, straightforward, delivers one thing (powerful straightforward bitter) with exquisite speed, gusto, and showmanship. But just as a muscle car is not good for complicated cornering or subtlety, this beer is not the best for drinkers seeking an IPA with malt balance against the bitterness, or a subtle display of multiple aspects of flavor profiles that different kinds of hops can create working together in tandem harmoniously. Be sure that you are looking for the muscle car ride and not some other kind of racing car experience before you buy this brew, and you won't be disappointed.

07-23-2011 15:18:43 | More by WastingFreetime
rtaps

3.73/5  rDev -13.5%

pours golden with some oarnge tinge to it, about a 1 finger head good retention with spotty lacing left behind

wouldnt have guess it, but it smells like an IPA nice floral hops some tropical fruits,

floral up front witch leads straight into the hops and there is about of them. mild citurs and tropical fruits throughout. good but hops arent balanced out all that great.

medium bodied and carbonation

overall the hops are a little over powering on the palet, for the other flavors to really come out. but they do warn you about it so there is NO reason to be caught off guard by it

12-26-2011 23:46:43 | More by rtaps
srandycarter

3.73/5  rDev -13.5%

A - Nice, fairly clear, has good head retention for a cask.

S- As expected, the hops take the show. Overwhelming. Malt is a background.

T - Malt comes up front, unexpectantly, then those hops take over!

M - Medium body, good balance, and pretty good carb for a cask.

D - Very easy to drink and I think my favorite cask to date!

Serving type: cask

09-14-2012 02:48:17 | More by srandycarter
Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.