Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,061 | Hads: 10,697
4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

end of a long day of a long week last night. A number of disaster moments, but in the end catastrophe averted. Sitting around the table eating a very tasty pizza from a nice establishment in the hood. A pie with a tangy sauce and a sausage with a zing to match. Crack out the Ruination to commemorate my survival this week...
I have had this beer before but never reviewed. this beer Rocks! my favorite of the moment of those in the DIPA class.
The smell- piney, citrusy, flowery, all the best characteristics of Stone IPA but jacked up to the nines. This beer did not overpower me and paired great with my pizza pie. Excellent head retention, glass lacing, a pretty honied color to the pour. the taste is out of this world complex, long lingering hops, grapefruit and pine- but soo so balanced and satisfiying. Rolls through your tongue and palate to a long sustained finish. On the contrare, no ruining of my buds occured-it made me clamor for more. Great beer from one the country's premier breweries.

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

-pours out of the bottle a peach tinged orange and rust colour...hazy and a bit turbid. tight off white head. festive lace. nice citric whif of hops...lemon and grapfruit...orange and tangerine notes. sweet malt in the nose also, and a hint of some yeast, must and smoke. i love the way this smells. gotta love the taste, too. lots of plump juicy fruit notes...very citric, the grapefruit and lemon notes dominate the palate without being just plain bitter and boring. it's a bit yeasty, with a dose of alcohol spice. this bruiser brings the goods for the hophead, honest to god. just enough malt balance without getting in the way of the hop parade. perfectly balanced as far as i'm concerned, meaning the body of this IPA or double IPA is about perfect. then there is the mouthfeel, which is curiously and sublimely velvety for such a high IBU brew. fantastic. and the drinkability....outrageous for a such a plush and ample IPA.

ok, it's my opinion that this one lives up to the hype. a great IPA that caters completely to my taste hop bombs.

a huge thanks to Intiqken for this beauty!

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

This DIPA hasn't made its way to the top of most expert's taste lists by just being "average." Yes, it's strong. Yes, it's VERY bitter. Yes, it's known as "hophead heroin."

Those who complain about Ruination's lack of maltiness are not familiar with the style, nor with the philosophy of Stone Brewing Company. Stone hit a home run with this liquid gold, and those lucky enough to find it (and fortunate enough to be able to afford it) will surely have a memorable experience.

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

Enjoyed this @ Barley's mini-RAF 5/13/06. Cask-conditoned with Simcoe.

Aroma: A citrus hop slam! Fruity, floral, citrus with a hint of honey. This is the kind of aroma that you get when you put your nose in a bag of fresh hop leaves. Just incredible.

Appearance: Hazy river water orange fading to yellow edging with a sudsy white head. Looks impressive...it has to have a ton of hops infused to have that lovely cloudy color.

Flavor: What an awesome balance of hop resins, bitterness, orange peel, lemon zest, grapefruit rind, a touch fruity and a little sweetness to help temper this hop maelstrom. Just heavenly.

Mouthfeel: oily, slick, resiny, and it leaves a powdery hop coating on the palate.

Overall impression: Pure heaven. This is the nectar of the gods. What an awesome showcase of hop balance. World Class.

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

A: light gold with a solid head that leaves a good amount of lacing on the glass.

S: From the moment I opened the bomber, the overwhelming smell of hops enveloped me. Dank resiny and citrusy hops dominate the nose. The grapefruit aroma is particularity pungent. This is a very hoppy brew.

T/M: Immediately upon taking a sip the hops hit like a ton of bricks. Major citrus and pine flavors work over my palate and live a lasting resiny hop bitterness that isn't going away anytime soon. Moderate carbonation with a medium body round this baby out. I cannot pick out any malt flavors- any that are in here are so overwhelmed by the beautiful hop assault that they might as well not exist. This is one fantastically hoppy brew!

D: I say without hesitation that this is one of the best beers I have ever had. If Stone distributed to Missouri I would drink this all the time. Since there is absolutely no balance, I wouldn't recommend it to someone who isn't hop-crazy, but for me this beer is mana from heaven. its fairly low ABV make this one of the more sessionable IIPAs around too. It will destroy your palate though, so I wouldn't try to drink anything after it!

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

This beer might be a best-in-class beer it's so good. It's really an exceptional IPA.

The beer poured a golden color with a medium-sized head that stuck around for awhile before dissipating. The aromas were succulent fresh hops and perhaps a hint of apples. Lovely, bright hop aromas were really perfectly balanced and not at all overpowering, portending the taste to come.

The taste of this beer was textbook IPA. You taste the smell, you taste the bitterness, you taste the freshness. The vortex of hoppiness swirls over the tongue in such a clean, crisp, refreshing way that could just never get old.

Lucky enough to find a sixer of this at bevmo in san jose for 6.99. What a deal. Too bad I'm only here for a week.

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

I have not tried this in a while, and had a cold last time I tried it (so I couldn't smell it). This beer has me in mind. It's everything I like about beer.

I won't bother talking about the color, lacing, or anything else. This, like all Stone brews, is about perfection. Complex, but simple, and amazingly balanced. Unlike the Stone giants, this one is just right, the baby bear of IPAs. The hops are strong, but without the untasteable blast of bitterness that overpowers all else. And the nose--the nose is out of this world. It's citrus without the sickly sweetness, pine without the sap. It ends up being very floral and fruit punch, papaya, pineapple, passionfruit, blackcurrant.

My new favorite, I think. Time for a serious favorite-off between Ruination, Founder's Red, Hop Rod Rye, and Hop Slam. If I live through that, maybe I'll invite the RIS crowd. But in terms of where my present taste resides, this is it. Stone rules!

4.96/5  rDev +15.9%

Even though I'm still pretty new at this, this is the best beer I have so for. Looks awesome in the glass the pour. Instantly get a smell of hop/citrus when opening it. Smells so delicious when pouring and even better on the first sip. The hops hit you at first then malts and citrus. Has the good bitterness aftertaste. This is a great IPA.

Enjoy by 8-8-13.

The 5,888th review of this classic. Can I possibly add anything?

Every time I think I'm only going to have one of these, I eagerly want a second, and maybe third, etc. Astoundingly drinkable for such a dank-tank, in-your-face paean to hop bitterness.

Competes with the best single malt scotches, tequilas, vsops etc. in the what do I want to have for the perfect late night exclamation mark on the day drink.

The Harley-Davidson custom of IPAs? The dream racing bike with the best shimano or campagnolo components ipa? The triple-header White Stripes-Stevie Ray Vaughn-Thelonious Monk of IPAs? Something like that.

One of San Diego's contributions to world culture. Just do it.

4.96/5  rDev +15.9%

Poured from a 22oz bottle (Best Before date: 08-06-12) into a long stemmed, 12oz tulip glass

A- Pours a very clear golden yellow/orange with about a 1-1/2 finger of white, frothy head with minimal lacing.

S- Oh, glorious hops - sweet, sugar coated citrus (tangerine, orange and grapefruit) along with fleshy, tropical fruit (peach, mango, and pineapple) mingle with copious amounts of pine resin....wow!

T- Sweet tropical fruit is met with a blast of white grapefruit rind bitterness. It is with this last dose of hop bitterness that I can surmise where the name of the beer is derived. However, the hop astringency is supported (but not dominated) by the malt backbone.

M- Ample, but not overwhelming carbonation is provided by THE very, very transparent Chico ale yeast. Perfect.

O- What is there left to document that hasn't already been stated? Ruination IPA has set the standard for an entire wave of IPA's (specifically, Imperial IPA's) flooding the American craft beer market. Although it might seem 'pedestrian' at this juncture, Ruinaition IPA is a testament to Stone's influence in the US craft brewing industry and are confirmed trendsetters. Ruination IPA still ranks with high marks as one of the beers which defined the style.

4.96/5  rDev +15.9%

Before my dark descent into my beloved porters, stouts, and doppelbocks – I gave IPAs a try. I met a red IPA I fancied here and there, but was put off by the hoppy bitterness of what I now call the "good stuff." I gave IPAs a second chance and here I am: infatuated. This Ruination IPA is the good stuff.

A: Caramel gold in color topped with a bit of creamy beige head.

S: Fragrance is of citrus hoppiness.

T: And the taste! Pungent, hoppy, bitter. It's got bite. And yet it's balanced, too.

M: Medium bodied and a little fizzy/zingy.

O: Loved the hoppiness, the flavors, the bite. Can't wait to drink this again!

4.95/5  rDev +15.7%

Mouth-numbingly hoppy and at times almost to powerful, almost. Certainly one of those beers you must taste in your beer drinking lifetime. Must be the last beer of the day, anything else will not taste the way it should after this brew. This is at the pinnacle of hoppiness!

4.95/5  rDev +15.7%

12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a hazy orange color with a 1 finger head and nice lacing.

S: Extreme hop aromas, both fruity and floral. Very strong and inviting nose.

T: Wonderful mix of hoppy flavors. Grapefruit, peach, pine, and more!! Malts are present, but very subtle. Hides the alcohol very well. I'm in love. This is a hophead's dream.

M: Medium bodied with nice carbonation.

O: I absolutely love this beer! I fell in love the first time I drank it and that hasn't changed. Pretty much ideal.

4.95/5  rDev +15.7%

Excellent double IPA. Pours mostly golden with a hint of orange coloring. Smells like a bouquet of hops. Taste is out of this world with hops all over but becoming sweet especially as the beer warms beyond usual fridge temperatures. Overall one of the best beers I've tasted and definitely earns its rights as a benchmark for double IPAs.

4.95/5  rDev +15.7%

From a bottle into a tulip glass. I've only lived in places where Stone is not distributed, so these are true treats for me. Pours a slightly hazy orange color with two fingers of white, frothy head. The head lingers for eons and leaves beautiful lacing on the glass like strings of cob web. The aroma is all hops, sticky with citrus grapefruit and resin. Hiding in the nose is a waft of honey sweetness. The first taste is a blossom of pure hops; the heavy flavor is all citrus hops with a backbone of pine. It blends beautifully into that promise of honeysuckle like sweetness I found on the nose. The sweetness on the back end coupled with the unapologetic hop smack in the mouth makes this THE IPA against which I compare all others. This is the beer that turned me into a beer geek. Other IPAs are guilty of just loading you with hops for hops sake, but this beer uses them the way they are meant to be used. Cheers to the guys and gals at Stone for brewing such a gem.

4.95/5  rDev +15.7%

Wow! I love me a hoppy IPA. Not sure if this is better than Victory HopDevil or Dogfish Head 90 Minute, but certainly in the same league. Stone makes some mean hoppy brews and this is no exception. Pours out a beautiful amber with a very nice white head. Tastes of hops. True to form this brew will kill your palate. But as long as you have this taste is your mouth who cares. The balance is wonderful. This is a top notch brew. Thank you again Stone!

4.95/5  rDev +15.7%

A - Absolutely beautiful, theres a head, theres lacing. The color is amazing. Thank you hops.

S - WOW, the hops are the first thing noticed, but once you really take a smell, theres more there. Its balanced, has that nice malty undertone that a pale ale should have.

T - This is what beer should be. HOPS, bitterness, malt undertones, spices, and that fruity balance.

M - Great, could be a little more full, but still really good.

D - I'd drink this all night, and probably end up trashed, but who cares!

This stuff is great, VERY pricey, but worth it. If you have never had a beer with a lot of hops, this ain't the place to start, but if you like pale ale's find this and try it. I remember when I was in high school and thought I hated hops, couldn't stand the bitter taste, now I can't get enough! GIVE ME MORE!

4.95/5  rDev +15.7%

A: Pours a rich golden Herculean copper smoked orange with subtle amber highlights. I didn't turn the lights out but this probably glows in the dark. You could solidify it, then melt it down, forge it into gold coins, and it would be accepted as legal tender worldwide. The head is comprised of tightly nestled white bubbles that as a thriving community resonate into a chorus of huge foaming copper. Lacing is absolutely abundant, frothing, and sticking all over the glass.

S: This has to be smelled to be believed. Like being in a lush forest and having trees hold you down with their tentacle branches and bleed fresh pine tar and sap right into your nostrils. A kaleidescope of flowers combined with a bouquet of malts. This aroma reminds me of God's most pure and persecuted plant.

T: Massive hops but with sweet honey qualities. Grapefruit, citrus, lemon, and pine resin are all perfectly represented in this nectar. A flavorful peppered caramel and cinnamon malted backbone of sweetness with an intricate pineapple and citrus vertebrae. Overall this is very complex, rounded, and bitter. The alcohol is only present in that nice warm feeling that follows.

M: Very creamy and full. Excellent carbonation. So good in the mouth you want to keep it there as long as a piece of gum.

D: This is the one that opened my eyes to the world outside of mainstream beers. Despite that personal bias the reviews do not lie. Overall this beer is like an amusement park. Scaring your taste buds in the bitter fun house and numbing the mouth on the hoppy tilt-a-whirl . In a perfect world I would make this a daily indulgence. Perfection.

4.95/5  rDev +15.7%

A: Pours hazy orangish yellow, with a creamy 2 finger head. Looks really nice.

S: Smell is citrus and malt. Some pine notes show thru as well.

T:Citrus and Pine all the way, followed by some light crusty bread notes. Finish nice and dry, perfect balance of bitter and malt.

M: Crisp and refreshing, not to boozy, but it does show through a little.

O: Great IPA. One of my top 5 beers.

4.94/5  rDev +15.4%

I'll skip color since I am, alas, color-blind.

Smell - Hops! Awesome, floral, pine, hops!

Taste - This beer is one of my favorite beers, hands down. The hops are dominant but somehow not too bitter. The floral notes even act to cover up the considerable alcohol content. This beer is trouble.

Mouth - perfectly carbonated. Crisp and dry. Frames the hops in the aftertaste as if they were onstage in your mouth.

Summary - drink this beer. If you don't particularly like heavily-hopped beers, drink it anyway.

4.94/5  rDev +15.4%

Stone Ruination IPA is Perfect!!! and IS the best IPA I've enjoyed.
The bitterness is the best I've experienced in the Pale Ale beer quest. The mouth feel is nirvana and my taste-buds sing with thanks to this excellent entry. Well done and Bravo Stone Brewing!!
Had this beer on the Pacific Surf-liner on a day trip from San Clemente, Ca. to Old Town San Diego. Ask Jeff to make you Bloody Mary.. It was AWESOME as well!!!
Carry on Citizens

4.93/5  rDev +15.2%

A-pours a cloudy light orange with a nice white head
S-great citrus,maybe orange and pine
T-taste is citrus, great pine taste and a nice bitter finish
M-medium balanced with nice carbonation slight sticky and resiney
The top dog of IPAs great oily hops that is very clean

4.92/5  rDev +15%

I have a 22 oz bomber that I picked up at Citywide Liquors when I was up north for Thanksgiving.

This beer is crystal clear. The color is a deep gold/light copper. Very nice, long lasting foamy white head.

Very nice, citrus (lemons, oranges, grapefruit) some piney notes. If there's one thing Stone Brewing has over everybody else, they make the most fragrant beer.

This has to be the easiest drinking Double IPA ever. I'm going to go out on a limb and say they use something like Magnam of Horizon for bittering because there is zero harshness. Very well done. I just looked in a copy BYO. They say Magnum.

This may be one of the fuller bodied IIPAs on the market. I have had some where the brewer tries to get the alcohol up there, but it comes at the expense of the over all brew. Again, Stone has their stuff together.

Like I said before, this is the easiest drinking IIPA that I've had so far. Very dangerous. Kudos the Stone.

4.92/5  rDev +15%

Stone's Ruination IPA begins with the kind of hoppy aroma that can be detected a good distance from the actual beverage, letting you know you're in for some powerful bitterness. Up close, the effect is even more pronounced, with huge grapefruit rind and pine sap swirls almost tinging the air green. Beneath these is an obviously equally-impressive layer of malts, since the sugars (brown, with strong hints of toast and biscuit) manage to still make themselves known despite the hops.

On the tongue, the beer begins with hops, which literally assault the tastebuds and soft palate with pine, grapefruit, rosewater, and small threads of eucalyptus, leaving a noticeable buzzing feeling on the tongue when held there for a few seconds. Despite the 100+ IBUs, the hops are still well-balanced, and haven't sacrificed flavor for bitterness, which happens with lesser-quality IPAs. As well, there are, again, an equally-strong layer of malts in here, which bring apricot and berry fruit esters to the mix, as well as strong brown sugars and Grape Nuts cereal overtones, providing a nice counter to the hops. The aftertaste is a long, lingering hop parade, which does become more and more bitter as the sugars die off, and ends up tasting like dandelion stems. Mouthfeel is a creamy medium, and carbonation is medium.

Overall, only a few sips of this reveals why the label claims this has an "immediate ruinous effect on your palate": after this many IBUs, it's doubtful that any other beer is going to have much flavor at all. But since the beer is this delicious, and a bomber clocks in at 7.7% ABV, you might not need another one anyway.

4.92/5  rDev +15%

22 oz bomber poured half into a Guinness glass.

Poured a beautiful pale orange/straw color. A little hazy, maybe unfiltered. No sediment in the bottle. Awesome rocky, foamy head, retention was OK, but did leave awesome lacing on the glass.

Smells awesome! Very different than Pliny or Blind Pig. I was expecting all of these west coast IPAs to kind of follow suit with each other. Some citrus in there with a surprisingly strong biscuity malt backbone. Very nicely balanced. The more I sniff, the more I start getting some earthly piney hops. As it warms the alcohol starts coming through in the nose as well.

Its a medium body brew with a tiny amount of residual sweetness left at the end and a nice malty character. Oddly, not what I was expecting, the first thing you notice in the taste is the malt, then the hops coming racing in a overpower everything. The first hops that I taste are the citrus and piney hops together in a great balance. Then the bitterness jumps in. It tastes like orange rind maybe, with a lot of earthiness. Nice carbonation for the style. As it warms, the bitterness progresses. Nice and dry on the finish with a great malty backbone balanced by the bitterness.

Overall a great brew! For an IIPA this hits the spot. Drinkability is crazy good. Dangerous brew. I burned through the 22 ozer pretty easily. Would be fantastic to pair with some food. Very, very impressed. Unlike anything that I have ever had before, the balance is crazy amazing.

Outstanding, epic beer. Balanced, balanced, balanced. Obviously a hop bomb, but the crafting of the grain bill and malt character of this beer shows the love and care that the brewers put into it. If this was available in Missouri, this would find a nice home in our fridge. Going to be the traditional American style IIPA that I compare all others of the same style to...

Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.