Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros

49er, Apr 24, 2014

Nichols33, May 04, 2014

CeasarB, Nov 09, 2013
2.03/5  rDev -52.8%

Well, this beer came highly recommended and also suggested by my server at a nice restaurant to go with my main course. When my wife started reading the back of the bottle before I tasted it I already knew it was a poor choice, why would I want something that was going to "ruin" my palate with a nice dinner? The pine and citrus scents that are referred to by other reviewers just hit me as a insect repellent / citronella and the taste was no better. Not only did it taste bad, but it made my dinner taste worse, I will not be drinking this one again.

pd360, Jan 19, 2009
2.08/5  rDev -51.6%

I'm pretty lopsided in my verdict with the Ruination IPA. In fact, I demand a fresher keg! Maybe this time it will suit my hop friendly palate.

Appearance - Flat

Smell - Atrocious

Taste - Average IPA

Mouthfell - Gargle & Rinse?

Drinkablity - Serve this to your dormitory frat wannabe's

InIBUsWeTrust, Feb 18, 2011
2.1/5  rDev -51.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

I guess I'll be the dissenter here...

Pours a very nice hazy amber with a thick white head, as it should with the hop presence. Decent retention, though the head eventually disappears to leave some very nice lacing. The aroma is obviously largely hoppy, with quite a bit of citrus in the background. On the palate, the bitterness is extreme. I'm getting light hints of dish soap (and it's not the glass). Really unbalanced, even for its style.

I like IPAs well enough, along with the occasional DIPA, but this is an unbalanced hop bomb.

philipquarles, Sep 12, 2008

wichiee, Jun 23, 2013
2.36/5  rDev -45.1%

sewhitehead, Sep 16, 2014
2.4/5  rDev -44.2%

The workers at my local beer and wine store rave about Stone beers. I am a huge double IPA lover and go out of my way to try every IPA that my local stores carry. This is my honest opinion of this brew in comparison to all other double IPAs that I have tasted.

Appearance:
After pouring into a glass I was struck at how pale the color was and how effervescent it became. Besides the clarity, the thin head also indicated a light bodied beer. It was quick to foam but also quick to settle leaving almost no webbing on the glass wall at all. As I was drinking, webbing never quite appeared on the glass.

Aroma:
The aroma was correct, prominently hoppy, but lackluster. The bouquet of hops was there and in plenty but wasn't as aromatic and crisp as other high quality double IPAs. This indicates a one dimensional hop selection. Typically, one has to balance their hop selection of aromatic hops to high alpha-acid hops and I don't feel as if Stone did this well.

Taste:
The taste was what I expected form the appearance and I was disappointed. The beer is very nicely hopped but has no body or malty balance what so ever. It instantly had me thinking of what a Rolling Rock might taste like with a magnitude of hops. The quality of hops was not that impressive to me either. They did not taste fresh and crisp but rather dull with a powerful bitterness.

Mouthfeel:
Quite lite and effervescent. I like to think of this brew as the champagne of double IPAs.

Drinkability:
It is light and easy to drink.

Overall:
This beer is not In the league of Bell's Hopslam, Victory's Hop Devil, or Hebrew's RIPA. Ruination just doesn't compare. To me, it tastes like an amateur's attempt at a double IPA who had a small budget and wanted to get the highest IBUs as possible. I feel like Stone's only goal was to create a brew with a high IBU count. They seemed to skimp on the aromatic hop selection and completely avoid a malty support as if to trick the drinker into focusing on the bitterness. This beer lacks the complexity and balance that I like to have in a double IPA.

SpinachEater, Mar 24, 2009
2.46/5  rDev -42.8%

Drank straight out of bottle. So I can't comment on appearance except for it looks cloudy.

S - sweet citrus, floral, pine. Love how it smells

T - wow. Stone IPA is my all time favorite beer. But Ruination is just too much. A hop bomb to say the least. Extremely bitter, it was difficult to put the whole beer down. As much as Ive tried to like this, it's too much of a taste bud overload for me.

M - lots of hop oils, medium body with nice carbonation.

O - the smell Of this beer is fantastic, and it's got a nice mouthfeel. But the taste is too overwhelming - this is a beer for only hardcore hop lovers.

Azntaiji, Jan 27, 2013

jiffymon, Oct 11, 2013

Sailracer, Mar 24, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -41.9%

A--Beautiful crystal clear amber, this beer almost was shining out of the pint glass. Only got about a half finger of head from a standard pour and it dissipated fairly quickly. Decent lacing left behind

S--I was expecting a hop bomb but this is surprisingly subdued. In fact, I smell more malt than hops (but not much of either). Weird. Did I get a bad bottle? Its not that it smells bad. The smell that is there is pleasant, but I have to really stick my nose into that glass to get anything.

T--I don't get much at first but after it is in my mouth for a moment a very strong grassy/bitter hop taste comes to the forefront. A lingering bitterness overpowers anything else I get out of this. That would be fine if there were other flavors in there as well, but all I really get is grass and bitterness.

M--Very light in body, nothing special but nothing unappealing either

D--I didn't even want to finish my bomber of this. It was easy to drink, but I had no interest in it and eventually I just stopped caring.

alcstradamus, Mar 25, 2009

myteam24, Sep 16, 2014

thatdavegy, Apr 08, 2012

cmsimeur, Jan 29, 2012

thegerm87, Mar 25, 2013
Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.