Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros

At first I really liked this one, so I can't explain why I hate it so much now, other than that my palate has developed in a non- favorable way for this particular DIPA. This bomber I have had is extremely bitter, fine, but with NO piney resin, grapefruit notes, etc. that you expect from a West Coast IPA.

I just really don't like this one. Way too bitter for me, and without the juicy hop notes that I really like in some IPA's. It's just not my thing and I love Stone's Enjoy By. I'm not sure if there was an issue with my bomber, but this wasn't my cup of tea at all.

2.04/5  rDev -52.6%

I'm pretty lopsided in my verdict with the Ruination IPA. In fact, I demand a fresher keg! Maybe this time it will suit my hop friendly palate.

Appearance - Flat

Smell - Atrocious

Taste - Average IPA

Mouthfell - Gargle & Rinse?

Drinkablity - Serve this to your dormitory frat wannabe's

2.07/5  rDev -51.9%

Well, this beer came highly recommended and also suggested by my server at a nice restaurant to go with my main course. When my wife started reading the back of the bottle before I tasted it I already knew it was a poor choice, why would I want something that was going to "ruin" my palate with a nice dinner? The pine and citrus scents that are referred to by other reviewers just hit me as a insect repellent / citronella and the taste was no better. Not only did it taste bad, but it made my dinner taste worse, I will not be drinking this one again.

2.12/5  rDev -50.7%

2.18/5  rDev -49.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

I guess I'll be the dissenter here...

Pours a very nice hazy amber with a thick white head, as it should with the hop presence. Decent retention, though the head eventually disappears to leave some very nice lacing. The aroma is obviously largely hoppy, with quite a bit of citrus in the background. On the palate, the bitterness is extreme. I'm getting light hints of dish soap (and it's not the glass). Really unbalanced, even for its style.

I like IPAs well enough, along with the occasional DIPA, but this is an unbalanced hop bomb.

2.24/5  rDev -47.9%

2.32/5  rDev -46%

2.36/5  rDev -45.1%

2.36/5  rDev -45.1%

2.44/5  rDev -43.3%

The workers at my local beer and wine store rave about Stone beers. I am a huge double IPA lover and go out of my way to try every IPA that my local stores carry. This is my honest opinion of this brew in comparison to all other double IPAs that I have tasted.

Appearance:
After pouring into a glass I was struck at how pale the color was and how effervescent it became. Besides the clarity, the thin head also indicated a light bodied beer. It was quick to foam but also quick to settle leaving almost no webbing on the glass wall at all. As I was drinking, webbing never quite appeared on the glass.

Aroma:
The aroma was correct, prominently hoppy, but lackluster. The bouquet of hops was there and in plenty but wasn't as aromatic and crisp as other high quality double IPAs. This indicates a one dimensional hop selection. Typically, one has to balance their hop selection of aromatic hops to high alpha-acid hops and I don't feel as if Stone did this well.

Taste:
The taste was what I expected form the appearance and I was disappointed. The beer is very nicely hopped but has no body or malty balance what so ever. It instantly had me thinking of what a Rolling Rock might taste like with a magnitude of hops. The quality of hops was not that impressive to me either. They did not taste fresh and crisp but rather dull with a powerful bitterness.

Mouthfeel:
Quite lite and effervescent. I like to think of this brew as the champagne of double IPAs.

Drinkability:
It is light and easy to drink.

Overall:
This beer is not In the league of Bell's Hopslam, Victory's Hop Devil, or Hebrew's RIPA. Ruination just doesn't compare. To me, it tastes like an amateur's attempt at a double IPA who had a small budget and wanted to get the highest IBUs as possible. I feel like Stone's only goal was to create a brew with a high IBU count. They seemed to skimp on the aromatic hop selection and completely avoid a malty support as if to trick the drinker into focusing on the bitterness. This beer lacks the complexity and balance that I like to have in a double IPA.

2.5/5  rDev -41.9%

Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.