Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
pd360

Maine

2.03/5  rDev -52.9%

Well, this beer came highly recommended and also suggested by my server at a nice restaurant to go with my main course. When my wife started reading the back of the bottle before I tasted it I already knew it was a poor choice, why would I want something that was going to "ruin" my palate with a nice dinner? The pine and citrus scents that are referred to by other reviewers just hit me as a insect repellent / citronella and the taste was no better. Not only did it taste bad, but it made my dinner taste worse, I will not be drinking this one again.

01-19-2009 22:40:33 | More by pd360
InIBUsWeTrust

2.08/5  rDev -51.7%

I'm pretty lopsided in my verdict with the Ruination IPA. In fact, I demand a fresher keg! Maybe this time it will suit my hop friendly palate.

Appearance - Flat

Smell - Atrocious

Taste - Average IPA

Mouthfell - Gargle & Rinse?

Drinkablity - Serve this to your dormitory frat wannabe's

Serving type: growler

02-18-2011 20:27:12 | More by InIBUsWeTrust
philipquarles

Connecticut

2.1/5  rDev -51.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

I guess I'll be the dissenter here...

Pours a very nice hazy amber with a thick white head, as it should with the hop presence. Decent retention, though the head eventually disappears to leave some very nice lacing. The aroma is obviously largely hoppy, with quite a bit of citrus in the background. On the palate, the bitterness is extreme. I'm getting light hints of dish soap (and it's not the glass). Really unbalanced, even for its style.

I like IPAs well enough, along with the occasional DIPA, but this is an unbalanced hop bomb.

09-12-2008 03:57:17 | More by philipquarles

Oregon

06-23-2013 01:12:09 | More by wichiee
SpinachEater

2.4/5  rDev -44.3%

The workers at my local beer and wine store rave about Stone beers. I am a huge double IPA lover and go out of my way to try every IPA that my local stores carry. This is my honest opinion of this brew in comparison to all other double IPAs that I have tasted.

Appearance:
After pouring into a glass I was struck at how pale the color was and how effervescent it became. Besides the clarity, the thin head also indicated a light bodied beer. It was quick to foam but also quick to settle leaving almost no webbing on the glass wall at all. As I was drinking, webbing never quite appeared on the glass.

Aroma:
The aroma was correct, prominently hoppy, but lackluster. The bouquet of hops was there and in plenty but wasn't as aromatic and crisp as other high quality double IPAs. This indicates a one dimensional hop selection. Typically, one has to balance their hop selection of aromatic hops to high alpha-acid hops and I don't feel as if Stone did this well.

Taste:
The taste was what I expected form the appearance and I was disappointed. The beer is very nicely hopped but has no body or malty balance what so ever. It instantly had me thinking of what a Rolling Rock might taste like with a magnitude of hops. The quality of hops was not that impressive to me either. They did not taste fresh and crisp but rather dull with a powerful bitterness.

Mouthfeel:
Quite lite and effervescent. I like to think of this brew as the champagne of double IPAs.

Drinkability:
It is light and easy to drink.

Overall:
This beer is not In the league of Bell's Hopslam, Victory's Hop Devil, or Hebrew's RIPA. Ruination just doesn't compare. To me, it tastes like an amateur's attempt at a double IPA who had a small budget and wanted to get the highest IBUs as possible. I feel like Stone's only goal was to create a brew with a high IBU count. They seemed to skimp on the aromatic hop selection and completely avoid a malty support as if to trick the drinker into focusing on the bitterness. This beer lacks the complexity and balance that I like to have in a double IPA.

03-24-2009 19:04:58 | More by SpinachEater
Azntaiji

Washington

2.46/5  rDev -42.9%

Drank straight out of bottle. So I can't comment on appearance except for it looks cloudy.

S - sweet citrus, floral, pine. Love how it smells

T - wow. Stone IPA is my all time favorite beer. But Ruination is just too much. A hop bomb to say the least. Extremely bitter, it was difficult to put the whole beer down. As much as Ive tried to like this, it's too much of a taste bud overload for me.

M - lots of hop oils, medium body with nice carbonation.

O - the smell Of this beer is fantastic, and it's got a nice mouthfeel. But the taste is too overwhelming - this is a beer for only hardcore hop lovers.

01-27-2013 07:06:29 | More by Azntaiji
jiffymon

10-11-2013 19:56:30 | More by jiffymon
Sailracer

03-24-2012 13:54:28 | More by Sailracer
alcstradamus

Washington

2.5/5  rDev -42%

A--Beautiful crystal clear amber, this beer almost was shining out of the pint glass. Only got about a half finger of head from a standard pour and it dissipated fairly quickly. Decent lacing left behind

S--I was expecting a hop bomb but this is surprisingly subdued. In fact, I smell more malt than hops (but not much of either). Weird. Did I get a bad bottle? Its not that it smells bad. The smell that is there is pleasant, but I have to really stick my nose into that glass to get anything.

T--I don't get much at first but after it is in my mouth for a moment a very strong grassy/bitter hop taste comes to the forefront. A lingering bitterness overpowers anything else I get out of this. That would be fine if there were other flavors in there as well, but all I really get is grass and bitterness.

M--Very light in body, nothing special but nothing unappealing either

D--I didn't even want to finish my bomber of this. It was easy to drink, but I had no interest in it and eventually I just stopped caring.

03-25-2009 20:24:51 | More by alcstradamus

Indiana

11-08-2013 16:38:35 | More by Kyrojack
pjwilson

2.5/5  rDev -42%

not really feeling this one. this beer is so out of balance it's rediculous. Every sip is painful with bitterness. I would consider myself a hophead but this just doesn't seem to work to me. This is liquid hop juice. If that's your thing, cool; i'd perfer to drink beer. I'm kind of suprised this is avaliable year round when double bastard and the stout come out in limited qualities, both miles beter than this.
Appearance: looks like thier regular ipa. can't really knock that
smell: it's unique, i'll give you that. strange mix of rubbing alcohol and weird hoppiness. different but not all that pleasant.
taste: bitter. very bitter, can't real enjoy the hops. It's not about IBU's people, it's about high IBU's with balance. i like me some hop flavor with the bitterness, the regular Stone Ipa is very good in this resepct. no tasty hop flavor here. This beer is only 7.7 which is the lowest "double" i've seen. Needs more malts. There is a slight sweetness in the backround, but it doesn't mesh at all with the hops. for this many hops this beer "should" be 10 percent.
mouthfeel: too damn thin.
drinkability: it takes one bad beer for me to drain pour. I'll finish this but never again will i get this.

Notes: I'm going against the grain on this one since the score is 91 as of this writing but i have to ask, what are people smoking? this tastes like crap( it's hurts you stomach too) I'm not impressed and this is the worst stone offering ever. I'm sure everyone will want to try it once. Spend you r time and money trying to get some Pliny the Elder if you want to taste a hophead beer done right. I could name countless others better than this. To me this isn't really even a double IPA, just some crazy experiment. My palate was ruined and I won't be coming back. To each their own, if you like this good luck to you.

07-31-2005 05:30:37 | More by pjwilson
justintcoons

2.55/5  rDev -40.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a snifter from a 22oz bottle.
Best by 8/31/11, consumed on 8/7/12

Appearance
Cloudy orange/gold with 1 finger of head that dissipates quickly.

Nose
Grapefruit, navel orange, lemon, sugar and caramel.

Taste
Surprisingly this is still viciously bitter. Resinous pine needles, grapefruit zest, grapefruit pith, lemon zest and a light caramel maltiness.

Mouthfeel
Medium bodied, bitter, dry and uber-crisp.

Overall
I’ve never been impressed with this beer, fresh or otherwise. Harsh and overly bitter. Gimmicky. GRRRR…Gargoyles…awesome, Stone.

08-08-2012 17:40:51 | More by justintcoons
Higravity

2.55/5  rDev -40.8%

This is the 3rd or 4th time I have tried this beer but this is the first time I got the whole thing to myself ;-) thanks Indybeer. I poured it into my Sam Smith Imp pint glass and sat back waiting for the head to settle. It was a nice orange tinted golden beer with a healthy head. The first snif went up my nose, but the after that it was fine. Grassy tannin bitterness (yuck) with a sweet malt and citrus blend. This had way more grass bitter than I remember and it really turned me off. I set it down as I played some ran around killing Zombies in the mall and as it warmed the grassyness mellowed out but never went away. I had a 60 minute after this to wash away the taste and the 60 rocked.

08-11-2006 12:59:39 | More by Higravity
slackerlack

2.58/5  rDev -40.1%

A - Has a golden brown tint to it. Very small particles of something in the beer from what I could tell.

S - Smells hoppy, kind of grass smell.

T - Has a strong tettenang hop flavor. Not much else there that I could taste.

D - Very bitter, hard to take down.

This is the most bitter beer I have had so far. Every sip was like I just put a hop pellet in my mouth.

01-16-2011 19:26:56 | More by slackerlack
maximum12

2.58/5  rDev -40.1%

On tap at The Valley Tap House, a solid new place in the South Metro with good food & very decent taps. That qualifies for a win/win down this way. Pint quaffed while having lunch & waiting for a new windshield to be installed.

Pours a clouded pale yellow, unfiltered. Nose on this IPA is very nice initially, bitter, citrusy, but after the beer begins to warm, the onion comes through & messes with the experience.

Ruination is a beer I've revisited a few times to try to understand its sterling reputation. Massive doses of onion throw me off immediately, with a rank bitterness that makes me think of chewing onion bubble gum. There might be pine or something else pleasing hereabouts, but I can't get past the bulbous sharpness. It's a chore to get down.

I specifically sought this out because the keg was put on the day before, thinking I'd had bad experiences with, perhaps, old bottles. But no. I just don't like this beer. Doesn't even reach mediocre for me.

02-10-2012 02:41:49 | More by maximum12
onecrazybreeze

Colorado

2.6/5  rDev -39.7%

Bottle. Pours amber, smells citrus and piney. Intense hoppiness does ruin the palate just as promised once consumed. It was almost spicy because of all the hops, definitely unlike any other DIPA I've ever had. I wouldn't say it was a bad beer, I just felt it didn't necessarily live up to the hype and I found it to be kind of one note. Not really a bad brew, just not anything I'll be drinking again anytime soon.

12-26-2008 10:43:12 | More by onecrazybreeze
Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.