Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 10,582 | Reviews: 3,115
4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

Pourd a light copper color with golden hues, large white frothy head that fades into a chunky headburg that floats in the middle. A very good looking beer.

Hop punch to the nose that makes you tear up with a smile! Citrus and pine follow, very earthy overall.

Hops and grapefruit bitterness with a good amount of malt, not alot of malt but just enough.

Would of liked this to be a little thicker but thats like saying I wish Jessica Alba was a little taller, it really doesn't matter in this case.

One of my favorites for awhile now and will continue to be.
If you plan on drinking different beer that session save this SOB for last.

4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

A: Straw. That is all. Because it's perfect. Foamy, near soapiness, in a nice 1.5 finger head.

S: A slight sweetness to the floral notes on the smell.

T: Perfect. This is one of the best IPA styles I have ever tasted. The taste is full and exhibits nothing but classic IPA. It's delicious in it's balanced floral and hoppy notes.

M: Medium mouthfeel, right in the center of the range. Not too heavy, perhaps slightly on the light side.

O: This is probably in my top two or three for IPA styles. Stone should be proud of this brew. I'm a loyal follower and this will be one of the standards by which others are compared.

4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

Beautiful light golden amber color. [served in my favorite Imperial Nonic) Nice aroma, much like a fistful of hops. Surprisingly balanced between hops and malt. It does NOT overwhelm you with bitterness, might you believe if you consider the name. Very Nice! I have enjoyed EVERY Stone ale I have tried, and this is one of my favorites. Great fullness feeling with every sip. GREAT BEER!

4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

Served out of a 1pint, 6 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass. Appearance, well...gorgeous. Mildly opaque brew, crisp golden color. Fluffy head, 2 finger-breadths, nice lacing. Scents of herbs, citrus and flowers persist in the nose. Starts with a good punch of malt flavor. Citrus and woody flavors begin to appear with warming alcohol throughout. While 100 IBU's made me think this would be a bitter offering from Stone, it was actually well balanced and had just the right amount of hops. Feels substantial in the mouth, you know you are drinking a worthy beer. Easily one of the most drinkable IPA's out there, and by far one of the most enjoyable. I will be keeping one of these around for a rainy day.

4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy golden-tan beer with an impressive 3 finger length head that slides down the sides as it dissipates and leaves a thick lacing behind.

Smell: Piney scent is screaming for attention; then you have citrus and some sweeter malty scents, Hops are all over the place

Taste: Amazing. All I want to taste right now is this, its basically a perfect double IPA. Its so balanced and tasty, mmm. If you like double IPA's you HAVE to try this beer at least once. My new favorite. Hoppiness is right where you want it, and there are hints of citrus.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and silky, carbonation is light but right where it needs to be, aftertaste is bitter but good.

Drinkability: Extremely drinkable. Its sooo good. If you love double IPA's the way I do you will never want to put this one down.

4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

I first had this beer about 5 years ago when I was just getting into better beer, and I remember thinking it was just too bitter. I liked IPA's but this one was too much for me. For some reason, I always just looked past it since then. It's about time I revisited it!

The beer pours a hazy copped with a fluffy head and beautiful lacing. I tend not to trust a clear IIPA. The aroma is grassy, herbal and overwhelmingly citrusy hops. The pungent grapefruit alludes to the bitterness to come. A bit of sweet caramel malt pokes through upfront in the flavor, followed by more big, bold grapefruity bitterness. The intense resiny bitterness lingers for what seems like an eternity, I feel like I was just chewing on some fresh cones! The alcohol is masked, but the extreme bitterness lets you know you are drinking a fairly strong beer. This is one nasty IIPA! I can feel a little heartburn coming with each sip.

4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

Split a six-pack with a friend, awesome purchase.

A: Golden, yellow almost like fruit juice in color. Good frothy two finger head that lasts.

S: Lots of citrus here with resiny hop notes..wonderful!

T: AMAZING! Citrus, hop oil/resin, a multitude of fruit flavor (pineapple, grapefruit, orange) and delightful bitterness. The bitterness lingers and refreshes for the next drink.

M: Very good medium to lighter bodied, little carbonation.

O: Phenomonal, I didn't think I was this into hops until I tried this beer. Well worth the $16 for a sixpack, but after three my palate and sobriety were (delightfully) RUINED!

4.69/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

01/29/15:
Probably , oh well, I cant even remember how many Ruinations I have had over the years. But what I can say is that after tasting so many craft beers in the past 3 or 4 years, this one from Stone still is near the top.
Perfectly balanced, the ABV, the IBU, the Malt, everything. Crisp but full, chug gable yet slow sipped.
Without a doubt my favorite beer from Stone

Oh, another great one from STONE. I read more about this ALE before I tasted it. My expectations were so high.
I popped the cap. Immediately, my senses were filled with HOP, HOPS and MORE HOPS. I loved IT.
I poured it into a tulip wine glass. The aroma and bouquets were even stronger now. I put my nose into the glass and I was in HOP heaven.
The ALE was brilliant and clear, with a small head, but a strong head. I detected some tropical fruits. Maybe some pineapple, and also some citrus like a New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs Marlborough grapefruit full wines.
Then the taste and it all began. Almost like bells going off in my head, ringing in a new year. The bitterness from the hops and yeast were so in your face, but at the same time not slapping you around.
STONE says, once you have had Ruination, you are ruined!
Well, to me, now that I've had it, I'm somewhat addicted to it.
Its not for everyone. People that say that like hoppy beer, ok, there are many others to build up to. This one, just like better wines, you have to get your palate ready for it.
I am a happy Ruination Camper!

4.69/5  rDev +9.1%

Man oh man! The hops on this beer are great. The hop smell is wonderful and powerful but it won't prepare you for the taste. You know that its going to be really hop (shoot someone warned me about the hoppiness) but man on man its like a party in my mouth and the hops are invited. I did one of those bitter, pucker up faces that I haven't done since the first time I tried beer. But this time it was good. It took a little getting used to but once your palate has become used to the taste its great. The maltiness is typical for an IPA, very light and crisp, but the hops are what really makes this beer.

If you love hops, and you can handle 100+ IBU's this is your beer.

4.69/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This original version was my favorite beer for years. Never disappointed by it. Consistency = high marks.

4.69/5  rDev +9.1%

Ruination pours a hazy orange-wheat color with plenty of visible carbonation that appears out of the mist and runs up into head, which is a little over a finger high with a creamy, off-white color and lots of thick foam. Doesn't have great retention (the alcohol content is partly at fault there), but the lacing it leaves is thick, hanging like laced drapes off the side of the glass.

The aroma is almost perfect; the fragrance is room-filling and you certainly don't have to search hard for the individual components of the nose. This thing is dripping with juicy, citrusy hops; I can clearly distinguish some grapefruit and lemon notes as well as a distinct pine aroma. Smells absolutely delicious.

The people at Stone put this together just the way I like 'em- hopped to the hilt. There is a decent amount of pale malts, but they know their place. The light buttery malts stay in the background and eventually fade from the flavor. Hops are the main event here. Up front, through the middle, and in the finish, waves of grapefruit, lemon, and pine sap all mingle together and create an awesome drinking experience.

The mouthfeel adds to the experience as well. The beer has a medium body and together with a mild amount of carbonation and the oiliness of the hops, the mouthfeel is smooth and silky. Although it's 7.7% ABV, I can't detect any alcohol in there.

All in all, this is a very well-put-together beer that I can't put down. I'm pretty much done with it and I've been trying to savor it for the sake of reviewing and enjoying it. Don't get me wrong, I've thoroughly enjoyed it, I just wish I had a lot more of it. Impressive in all facets, if you haven't tried this beer yet, then put it on your To Do list.

4.69/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Its all in the name. A complete takeover of any other taste in your current pallet. A complete hop BOMB. I poured this from the bottle into a chilled pint. With a standard pour, I yielded a very decent 1-1/2 fingers of head, which was just orange of white and a diluted amber color. The head quickly gave until it was about 1/2 a finger thick and left slight lacing, but nothing to write home about. The head stayed until the end, it should be said. Flavor follows the nose, and just as I thought it would, Ruination proceeds to wreck the palate at first sip. It's very bright, and makes it hard to pick out the flavors and components once you've begun. Some would say it grabs your attention, I prefer to say it kills any possibility of enjoying other beers after this one (at least in the same evening). Make sure to seek this out.

4.69/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured a rather normal golden honey hue, that was very clear. A nice frothy off-color white head that contained a few large bubbles.

The aroma was o so hoppy, with citrus higlights, and a very crisp nature to it. Tantalized my nostrils.

As the label suggests, my first tatse hit my mouth like a ton of hop bricks. After the intial hop whallop, the taste gave way to some nice roasted malts, then citrus/woody/floral/grassy type tastes fluttered around my tongue.

The mouthfeel is great, it is a very diverse brew, with many different levels. The alcohol is very present, yet smooth and satisfying, not burning at all. It is a pleasure to have the taste linger long after you swallow.

I am a fan of Stone, and I can't believe it took me this long to get around to this brew. But it was worth the wait. Even though it is non sequitor, the labels on the bottles are always a humorous read. It says alot about a brewery who puts in alot of work in every brew, from the actual brewing process right down to the label.

Cheers!

4.69/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My favorite IPA yet. Hops and high ABV go well together in this drink!

4.69/5  rDev +9.1%

A: Poured a two-fingered very white head that dissipated semi-quickly. Deep golden color with a hint of red and cloudiness.

S: This may be the best smelling brew I've ever experienced. Now I get what the hop-heads crave. Very fresh, very pungent hop scent.

T: Solid malt balance completely quashes the hop bite until well into the sip. Slight fruity characteristic detected, but I'm a little congested, so I may be missing some of the more subtle flavors.

M: Thick, creamy mouth-feel. Extremely smooth.

D: Certainly a beer to be savored. High ABV and lingering hoppy taste encourage a slow pace.

I tend to shy away from most Hop Monsters like this one because they're just bitter, bitter, bitter. I decided to give this a shot because of Todd Alström's review. What a great decision. Just wish it wasn't $14 a six-pack in my neck of the woods.

22 oz. bomber poured into a snifter

A- A crisp orange/copper with a two finger white head.

S- Very strong, mostly hops with a hint of pine and citrus. If you love hops the smell just screams "Drink me!"

T- Dominated by bitter hops in a good way. There are hints a semi-sweet citrus fruit taste.

M- Smooth, slightly creamy, could be a light heavier.

D- Just great. The reason I bought this was the fast the the bottle said "100+ IBU's" and it delivers. Easy to drink and enjoy.

4.69/5  rDev +9.1%

From a bottle to a glass.
This beers color was a cloudy, pale, golden-brown. The head of the beer was frothy and Lacy but didn't last very long.
The smell was of Pine and a variety of strong hoppy aromas. (Very Enjoyable)
The taste of this beer started out just as the scent had suggested. and then the complexity of the hops was ever more present. Hops definitely the largest contributing factor to this beer and kinda hard to extract lots of other flavors through it. it had the Perfect bitter taste to it (not a killer, very pleasant) More smooth and sweet than i would have expected, The hops bring out very herbal notes in this beer. the aftertaste is also dry and quite bitter as well.
Mouth-feel is very pleasing. medium bodied with the perfect amount of carbonation for this beer. leaves you feeling very warm.
The bottle warns you of how this beer wrecks your palate, so don't even try to eat anything you really want to enjoy while drinking this beer. other than that I wish I always had a steady supply of this beer because one could drink this every night. HIGHLY recommend this beer. Epitome of west coast IPAs.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

"A liquid poem to the glory of the hop!"

9 words that truly describe the elixir of life contained within this gargoyle-guarded amber bottle.

Appearance: 22oz. amber bottle with the beer brewer equivalent to the surgeon general's warning on cigarettes plainly telling you of the impending doom about to be unleashed upon your taste buds should ye be foolish enough to open it. But...deep in the darkest corners of your soul you wonder..."100+ IBU"...what does that taste like? And thus, with the ease of flicking a bottle cap, you have become addicted. Addicted to the insanity that is Stone's Ruination IPA.

Smell: You can almost see the vapor escape. It weaves a tantalizing dance of citrus, pine cone, and delicate sweetness that leaves you mesmerized.

Taste: Understandably, one might think that with an IBU of 100+ that this beer would allow you to collect the life insurance policy on your taste buds. Such is not the case. Indeed, following the first sip freshly poured from the cold bottle, I was concerned over the future functioning of my palate, given the stranglehold placed upon it by this wicked concoction. But, upon warming a bit, we see that this is one devilishly smooth gargoyle. The hops, while present in quanities to rival our national budget, are tempered by the malt character. Lke a knight battling a fierce dragon, the malt stands firm, refusing to yield to the evil serpentine abomination that is the hop. And this...this is such a wonderful thing to behold. The hops are so flavorful, not bitter as expected and that made this experience so much more enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: A prostitute for the palate. An incredible creamy smoothness that fondles your taste buds for what seems like an eternity.

Drinkability: Thank the makers that this is a 22oz. bottle. The alcohol is superbly woven into the fibers of this beer. I could drink this forever. Truly an incredible experience. "God bless the yeast, the malt, and the HOPS!"

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bomber graced by a Stone gargoyle and acerbic Stone saracasm, bravado, and hyperbole. Poured into a Delirium Tremens flared snifter, the color is pale honey with bronze and gold undertones. The white three-finger head is creamy and firms up nicely, demonstrating solid retention and copious strands of sticky lacing. A vortex of bubbles races up through the center.

The nose is spicy, fragrant, and floral, lots of hops and a bit of malt. The flavor offers some slightly sweet caramel malt, a slight accent of lemon zest, a whisper of berries in the background, some candied sugar, and a cataclysm of robust hops. The alcohol is masterfully blended into the complex mix.

The mouth is bold and complex, beginning light, sweet, and gently malty on the front, ending in a dry and bitter hoppiness on the back palate, yet a bright lemony/sugary note dances on the lips before finally decaying-- great carbonation and liveliness. The hops are intense, but is still exceptionally well balanced with the wide array of flavors and textures.

I can drink this all night. It truly is "a liquid poem to the glory of the hop!"

4.7/5  rDev +9.3%

Wow!!! I have finally gotten ahold of the Ruination IPA, and I feel that there is so much anticipation behind the rating of this beer. First of all, I love this style and equally important it is brewed by Stone. IMO Stone brewing is revolutionary from the Bastard to the Smoked Porter. So, here it goes, the beer is poured into an official Stone Brewing Co. Pint glass leaving about two fingers of head. A deep copper goldish tint is the hue that this beer represents. As the gargoyle on the bottle stares at me, I attempt my first sip of this creation. WIth my first gulp, I took a deep breath to absorb all of the hop aroma that engulfed my senses. The hop aroma is a floral, citrusy, and earthy mixture of wonderful hops, with a sharp sweetness to the nose it bitters as it splashes down on my tongue with the welcoming bitterness (100 + IBU's) a trace of sweet maltiness tags along to balance out the beer to become a masterpiece. On the back of this bottle there is a warning of the what this beer can do to the palate. I agree that it is hilarious, and that I would not start out with this beer at tasting event. However, it is not to overwhelming for my tastes.... I love hops. If this beer and the Dogfish Head 90 min IPA were tried side by side a lot would be confused about which be was delivering which flavor. I think they are both sickeningly yet amazingly hoppy, yet I think I prefer the 90 min IPA. Definitely amazing a must try for all beer advocates.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I enjoyed a bomber of Stone Ruination IPA on August 2, also known as "IPA Day." I mean, why not enjoy one of the beers most responsible for starting the Imperial IPA craze. Served this classic into a snifter. Review is from notes.

Appearance (4.5/5): Ruination has a classic IPA appearance: it has a clear copper-orange body, is topped with a 2 finger, billowy, white head of foam, and leaves a ton of lacing on the sides of the glass as it's consumed. You can se a good amount of carbonation on observing the body. This beer looks and acts like you want your IPAs to. Excellent.

Smell (4.5/5): Lots of pine and citrus smells–grapefruit and lemon especially–and some light biscuity malt peeks out from behind the massive hop smells. The smell portends great things to come.

Taste (5/5): Ruination is packed with great hop flavor: grapefruit rind, pine, and rosewater dominate the foretaste. Light biscuity and caramel malt flavors push back, balance, and add body and complexity, but are ultimately overrun by the monstrous hoppiness of the beer. A distinct lemon astringency characterizes the finish, which is very bitter, dry, and almost puckering. There is a slight hint of alcohol heat in the finish as well.

Mouthfeel (4.5/5): Ruination is medium bodied and possesses a medium level of carbonation, has a slightly resinous and prickly feel, and is drying in the finish. The mouthfeel is right where it should be for an Imperial IPA.

Overall (4.5/5): Ruination is a great Imperial IPA. It's no longer the cool, new kid on the block, but it could teach today's new kids a lot. One thing I really appreciate about it is that it keeps the alcohol levels in check and avoids the "syrup curse" that overly hot, sweet, Imperial IPAs exhibit; these bad apples resemble American barleywines in their flavor more than IPAs. Ruination, on the other hand, is beautifully hopped, highly bitter, and pleasingly dry. She's a beauty.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bomber into a standard pint glass. Dark orange color with about a finger of head that slowly broke down to slight lacing. Very strong hop (whooda thunk!) and pine aroma. Taste was also strong in hops throughout but without overwhelming the palate. Plenty of balance makes it very drinkable for those of us who love our hops!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours light amber with a full, stiff white head that leaves nice lace.

Initial hop aroma is citrus, a bit of durian then leads it into a resiny pine hoppiness. Hops. Hops.

Spicy sweetness up front quickly turns into oily resinous flavors. Leaves a huge lingering bitterness on the back of the tongue for a long time.

Medium bodied and surprisingl;y smooth and drinkable. No detectable alcohol, just hop juice deliciousness.

4.7/5  rDev +9.3%

22oz bomber poured into a tulip glass, no freshness date but a cool silk screened bottle nonetheless.

Also..big thanks to JoeyBeerBelly for this one.

A: Pours a crystal clear golden orange with a creamy pure white head, pretty but plain looking. The head of an inch and a half bubbles away into a ring in about five minutes but does leave some thick sheets of lacing down the glass, so it saves some points there.

S: Interesting to come across this beer after experiencing so many larger hop crazy beers. The aroma is citrus, citrus, citrus floral hop bouquet but covered by a solid layer of piny grassy resinyness, all of these are quiet though, that is to say while these aromas are present they do not hit you over the head

T/MF: While the aroma might be subtler than most other DIPAs the taste and mouthfeel are unlike anything I've ever come across . I finally understand what people mean by teeth pulling, tongue ripping bitterness because this beer grabs hold and does not let go. Thick sheets of piny hop resin weld themselves to my tongue and the longer they stay there the floral citrus flavors begin to become more noticeable with a slight nuttiness and , but barely. This one is all about the pine and it really hammers that point home. The mouthfeel is super sticky and it doesn't even matter that the carbonation is low, this beer just hammers and hammers away with flavor. The finish lasts for days and sticks everywhere and is when some of the grapefruit and other citrus flavors show their heads.

D: The bitterness on this beer is just about the most intense thing I've ever experienced but I really don't think it effected my drinking experience. All I wanted was to keep drinking this beer. Excellent, excellent example of the style, hops hops and more hops and really thats what this style is all about. The ABV being relatively low for a DIPA makes this one exceptionally drinkable.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It's not often I review a beer with 4.5's (with a 5.0 squeaking its way in) across the board...but anyway, here we go.

Poured into my favorite tulip glass from a 22oz bomber dated 9/20/11. Nice.

A: Pours a slightly cloudy (hey, it's unfiltered after all) amber with an inch or so of head that shows impressive staying power. Looks gorgeous in a tulip. Nice thick lacing.

S: Wow. This puts a big smile on my face, and confirms that I am an official Hop Head. Huge aroma of hops, hops, and more hops. Imposing, dank, sweet-yet-insulting, grapefruity, piney, resinous, ridiculous. The sweetness of the malts barely cuts through the fog of hop aroma, but it's there in an attempt at balance. This, my friends, is what a DIPA is all about.

T: Again, wow. And again, a big smile. Forget the beer, let me just gnaw on some hops! This beer has an incredible flavor - it's sweet and tangy and bitter and sweet again and bitter and full and oppressive. I can't say I've tasted anything like it, and I've had my fair share of DIPAs. It's exquisitely balanced. The 100+ IBUs are evident yet surprisingly managed. Just incredible.

M: Nice and full. Quite oily and coating. The bitterness is incredible, and yet very managed. This beer is one perfectly-balanced SOB.

O: This is one helluva beer. It's got everything - mind-blowing hoppiness, an understated-yet-somewhat-balancing malt backbone, and an aroma that makes me wish they made candles out of this stuff. At 7.7% it's practically a lightweight in DIPA territory, and yet it stands toe-to-toe with some of the greats. Stone has practical perfection on its hands, 8 years (at least) running. Bravo, Stone. Bravo.

Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.