Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros

myteam24, Sep 16, 2014

thatdavegy, Apr 08, 2012

cmsimeur, Jan 29, 2012

thegerm87, Mar 25, 2013

Kyrojack, Nov 08, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -41.9%

not really feeling this one. this beer is so out of balance it's rediculous. Every sip is painful with bitterness. I would consider myself a hophead but this just doesn't seem to work to me. This is liquid hop juice. If that's your thing, cool; i'd perfer to drink beer. I'm kind of suprised this is avaliable year round when double bastard and the stout come out in limited qualities, both miles beter than this.
Appearance: looks like thier regular ipa. can't really knock that
smell: it's unique, i'll give you that. strange mix of rubbing alcohol and weird hoppiness. different but not all that pleasant.
taste: bitter. very bitter, can't real enjoy the hops. It's not about IBU's people, it's about high IBU's with balance. i like me some hop flavor with the bitterness, the regular Stone Ipa is very good in this resepct. no tasty hop flavor here. This beer is only 7.7 which is the lowest "double" i've seen. Needs more malts. There is a slight sweetness in the backround, but it doesn't mesh at all with the hops. for this many hops this beer "should" be 10 percent.
mouthfeel: too damn thin.
drinkability: it takes one bad beer for me to drain pour. I'll finish this but never again will i get this.

Notes: I'm going against the grain on this one since the score is 91 as of this writing but i have to ask, what are people smoking? this tastes like crap( it's hurts you stomach too) I'm not impressed and this is the worst stone offering ever. I'm sure everyone will want to try it once. Spend you r time and money trying to get some Pliny the Elder if you want to taste a hophead beer done right. I could name countless others better than this. To me this isn't really even a double IPA, just some crazy experiment. My palate was ruined and I won't be coming back. To each their own, if you like this good luck to you.

pjwilson, Jul 31, 2005
2.55/5  rDev -40.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a snifter from a 22oz bottle.
Best by 8/31/11, consumed on 8/7/12

Appearance
Cloudy orange/gold with 1 finger of head that dissipates quickly.

Nose
Grapefruit, navel orange, lemon, sugar and caramel.

Taste
Surprisingly this is still viciously bitter. Resinous pine needles, grapefruit zest, grapefruit pith, lemon zest and a light caramel maltiness.

Mouthfeel
Medium bodied, bitter, dry and uber-crisp.

Overall
I’ve never been impressed with this beer, fresh or otherwise. Harsh and overly bitter. Gimmicky. GRRRR…Gargoyles…awesome, Stone.

justintcoons, Aug 08, 2012
2.55/5  rDev -40.7%

This is the 3rd or 4th time I have tried this beer but this is the first time I got the whole thing to myself ;-) thanks Indybeer. I poured it into my Sam Smith Imp pint glass and sat back waiting for the head to settle. It was a nice orange tinted golden beer with a healthy head. The first snif went up my nose, but the after that it was fine. Grassy tannin bitterness (yuck) with a sweet malt and citrus blend. This had way more grass bitter than I remember and it really turned me off. I set it down as I played some ran around killing Zombies in the mall and as it warmed the grassyness mellowed out but never went away. I had a 60 minute after this to wash away the taste and the 60 rocked.

Higravity, Aug 11, 2006
2.58/5  rDev -40%

A - Has a golden brown tint to it. Very small particles of something in the beer from what I could tell.

S - Smells hoppy, kind of grass smell.

T - Has a strong tettenang hop flavor. Not much else there that I could taste.

D - Very bitter, hard to take down.

This is the most bitter beer I have had so far. Every sip was like I just put a hop pellet in my mouth.

slackerlack, Jan 16, 2011
2.58/5  rDev -40%

On tap at The Valley Tap House, a solid new place in the South Metro with good food & very decent taps. That qualifies for a win/win down this way. Pint quaffed while having lunch & waiting for a new windshield to be installed.

Pours a clouded pale yellow, unfiltered. Nose on this IPA is very nice initially, bitter, citrusy, but after the beer begins to warm, the onion comes through & messes with the experience.

Ruination is a beer I've revisited a few times to try to understand its sterling reputation. Massive doses of onion throw me off immediately, with a rank bitterness that makes me think of chewing onion bubble gum. There might be pine or something else pleasing hereabouts, but I can't get past the bulbous sharpness. It's a chore to get down.

I specifically sought this out because the keg was put on the day before, thinking I'd had bad experiences with, perhaps, old bottles. But no. I just don't like this beer. Doesn't even reach mediocre for me.

maximum12, Feb 10, 2012
2.6/5  rDev -39.5%

Bottle. Pours amber, smells citrus and piney. Intense hoppiness does ruin the palate just as promised once consumed. It was almost spicy because of all the hops, definitely unlike any other DIPA I've ever had. I wouldn't say it was a bad beer, I just felt it didn't necessarily live up to the hype and I found it to be kind of one note. Not really a bad brew, just not anything I'll be drinking again anytime soon.

onecrazybreeze, Dec 26, 2008
2.63/5  rDev -38.8%

Reviewed from notes taken on 4-8-11.

Light gold color is held within my Darkness snifter. Six feet of head that lasts forever. Very light pine and citrus on the nose. This smells pretty good.

I wish it tasted as good as it smells. I think there could be a tad more carbonation. Bitter pine is up front. Hop bite is non existent.Slightly dry on the backend. I will say as the beer warmed the taste did improve.

Way to go Stone for making a terrible example of a dipa. People are excited about the brewery being released here. I am not in that camp. This beer is less than stellar. So why should my beer dollars be given to a less than average product when there is local superiority already established? Good luck Stone you are going to need it. Surly is king in this state and you will soon find out.

TheDudeRules, Apr 20, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -38.8%

Poured the Ruination IPA into my 23 oz. glass, which gave a huge head (possibly bad pouring on my part)

Appearance: nice gold look, white head, looks really good
Smell: hops, that's about it; smells good though
Taste: the first few sips were good, then it went downhill from there; very much a champagne flavor; I could taste a lot of alcohol in this eventhough it's only 7.7%; the hops were there, but the champagne flavor was dominant
Mouthfeel: lots of head at first; it was decent though
Drinkability: not good for this beer at all; i couldn't get the whole 22 oz. bottle into my glass, and after i finished the portion in my glass, i really didn't feel like drinking the rest of it, eventhough i did.

Overall, I wasn't very impressed with this beer for all the hype it receives.

Applesauce1, Jun 25, 2006
2.63/5  rDev -38.8%

I just can't get behind this beer. Tried it the other day, took notes, tried again a few days later and still...

A- Light copper, thick hop-sticky head with surprisingly little retention and moderate lacing. Color is a pretty standard IPA shade.

S- I understand their tale of "ruination", I just think there is a big difference between constructing a good beer full to the brim of intense hops and just throwing high alpha hops in a brew kettle. The real ruination, to me, is in the execution of this ale. Sweet, floral, with undertones of bitter grapefruit, all kind of lost on one another, stepping on the others' toes. It all gets mashed up in the nose; unbalanced.

T- I think Stone is capable of making great beer, but this is a failed attempt. Over-powering bitterness to the point of unpleasantry. Astringent, tart and citric...like sipping a solvent. Definitely has the ruining effect on the palate, which isn't necessarily a good thing. Hops are unbalanced and ward away any sign of malts or yeast. A simple retooling could improve this clumsy ale.

M- Again, astringent, tart, bitter, dry...ruins the palate in irony.

D- Not recommended. Very many imperials that are better constructed.

Maudite, Apr 01, 2008
2.63/5  rDev -38.8%

The bottle graphics and story/poem were quite impressive and i really enjoy discovering the relationship of graphic creativity and taste of the craft brewers. Based on the reviews, I anticipated an above average hoppy IPA only to be disappointed with a weak hint of hop bitterness, smell and complexity. Color was nice orange but no foamy head and very weak carbonation. Served this beer in a tall beer glass at 38 degrees; serving at a warmer temperature may bring out the flavors, aroma and complexity others commented, I just couldn't find it in my pour. "Rather boring IPA"

EMPotter, Mar 18, 2012
2.65/5  rDev -38.4%

Consumed on cask 07/11/08 at The Daily Pint, Santa Monica, CA.

Fairly clear golden hue with a one finger white head that lasts to the bottom of the glass.

Aroma is old cheese and used sweatsocks. Ack.

Mouthfeel is dead average (nothing notable), which is odd for a cask pull.

A little grassy flavor, a fleeting flirtation with crystal malt, but mainly lots and lots of hop character which is mainly expressed as bitterness. Some earthy green hop notes as well, but they were hard for me to pull out.

Not a very good beer to my palate.

charlzm, Jul 12, 2008

IPAs4me, Sep 12, 2014

Tapped into a tulip.

Appearance - Pale hazy amber body. Small head with decent to low retention.

Smell - Very complex and grassy. Slight manure smell. Very distinct wet paint smell with a hint of mold. Good smell other than the wet paint off-smell that can't be unsmelled.

Taste - Astringent taste combined with the smell makes me think of paint remover.

Mouthfeel - Good smooth mouthfeel.

Overall Drinkability - The wet paint smell was a beer ruiner. Talk about ruination. Had high hopes for this beer coming in, so I'm surprised that this was such a let down. Maybe I got unclean glassware, or there were bad tap lines, but for whatever reason this is the first high expectation beer that has bombed so horribly for me in a long time.

ZenAgnostic, Apr 18, 2011
2.68/5  rDev -37.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Bought a bottle. Pours out nice with a nice slow falling head. Dark golden color.

Smells yeasty and piney.

Tastes like bitter pine sol....Aftertaste makes me thinking maybe i've been sucking on pennies instead of drinking beer....

I'm wondering if i got an old bottle or something because this is in no way a 'good beer'....

dkfick, Jun 01, 2010

12oz bottle, standard pint glass

A - poured a massive head of big pillowy egg shell colored foam, becoming more and more dense as it sits there, and lacing all the way down. the beer is a nice bright golden color and slightly hazy

S - loads of citrus hops, both bitter and sweet. some pine, floral, grassiness...the entire spectrum of the hops world. mouth watering.

T - not sure if this is a bad bottle, an old bottle, or what...all of the yummy hop smells are gone and replaced with all i can describe as, burnt bitter grass. not that good kind of grassy hops, just way off. i used to LOVE this beer, havent had it in a long time - so again i dont know if this is off or my tastes have just changed.

M - trying to ignore the flavor, the mouthfeel is a bit thick, but carbonation is spot on.

D - really struggling with this. ill leave this review as-is, and give it another shot in the future. down the drain this goes.

Note: I have revisited (bottles and tap) this beer a few times since the review, same results. Maybe I outgrew it, but I'm just not feeling it anymore.

Stigs, Nov 25, 2009
2.7/5  rDev -37.2%

Appearance - Nice clear amber color with a little foamy head.

Smell - Great smells of citrus and hops. Flowery.

Taste - Orange, lemon zest. Sharp and bitter. Good flavors, but hops are over-dosed in this brew...on purpose too!

Mouthfeel - Light body.

Drinkability - Got used to it quickly. Very much appreciated the freshness. Fun and worth trying again. But far from being a favorite.
Over-hyped.

SaltyLime, Apr 27, 2007

22oz poured into a pint glass

Crystal clear yellow gold with a slight orange tint. A big fluffy white head with some visible carbonation

Smells of pine and citrus. Some sweetness is there as well. The scent is much like their standard IPA just more intense. This one lets you know its gonna get you.

The taste is much the same, just in GREAT excess. This one hits you... hard. Big bitter hop flavor, right up front. Pine is right behind, if not right along side the bitter taste. Then a tart citric flavor of lemon and orange comes in. After I swallowed, that bitterness comes back and bites yet again.

Feels medium bodied. This one had a real astringent quality to it. There's this stinging feeling, kind of like the way sucking on a lemon feels, bitter, tart and harsh. Difficult to get down at times. The drying quality of the alcohol comes in at the very end.

I enjoy hoppy IPAs but this one is just too much. The flavors are there but are there in EXCESS. Hops. Pine. Citrus. All there. All in a big big way. Stone's regular IPA is delicious, far more enjoyable and much more drinkable for my palate.

jggibbs, Apr 25, 2011
2.73/5  rDev -36.5%

Pours a faded butterscotch coupled with a nice fluffy milky froth which dissolves in clusters. Smells floral with orange citrus and fruit. Hop is strong and up front as usual. I taste astringent grapefruit with an everlasting linger and a touch of sweetener. Good for the style, but it's my least favorite Stone thus far.

grindcore666, Oct 18, 2005
2.75/5  rDev -36%

GrumpyGirl, Apr 23, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -36%

Adamnimmo, Nov 30, 2013
Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.