Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,056 | Hads: 10,648
3.13/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

IPA is my favorite style and yet I was disappointed with this highly acclaimed beer. Consumed in a tulip glass, there was way too little in terms of scent. Barely anything. Then the taste didn't blow me away either. It was good, just not worth what I paid. I've had over 10 other IPAs I'd reach for over this. Maybe it's old or something. (338 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -26.6%

Appearance: Cloudy orangish-brown, nice white head, good retention, good lacing

Smell: Sweet floral

Taste: Oranges, Tangerines, and a few flowers blended together

Drinkability: Way too over the top with the hops to be able to drink many.

I enjoy this beer once in a while becxause it's a really good ipa, but I could never drink many of them. (346 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -26.4%

Body has a golden haze color with visible carbonation. Thick white head with medium retention. Smells sweet like candy. Strange.

Given the name, I was ready for a rather intense IPA. Kind of disappointing in that regard. Has a harsh finish. Decent flavor, I suppose, but not too much complexity. Slightly watery mouthfeel. Challenging to swallow.

One of these will do. Don't think I'll go out of my way to have another. (422 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Much maltier than expected. Bitterness and sweetness battle to achieve dominance. Not in a balanced way. Not crazy about this sweet, bitter IPA. A little sweet for my tastes, despite the bitterness. It's not my cup of tea, altogether. Too sweet and simultaneously too bitter... Not balanced for my preference.... (312 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -26.2%

Poured from a bomber that I bought about 6 months ago. I have been intimidated by this beer for a long time since I realized shortly after buying it that I was not a big hops fan. I read the back of it and it said something to the effect of "A liquid poem to the hops." On to the review. Poured into my Samuel Smith pint glass.

A Great, generous head which stayed around for at least 3 minutes and as it dissipates there is a great lacing on the side of the glass. The body is a nice orageish brown with visible carbonation bubbles rising from below. A great look, really.

S Hops for sure but there is a balance that I can already appreciate. This does not seem to me that it is going to be completely unbalanced. Behind the hops I can smell some citrus. I am looking forward to tasting it (which I had not before typing those comments).

T Wow...hops in the front and the middle but then the finish is like a strong grapefruit type of bitterness without the sting of hops. Really, there is a nice citrusy taste that lingers. I feel like I am at a breakfast table with half a grapefruit in front of me. There is a warmness also (gained from the alcohol?). This is a heck of a taste. I will struggle with rating it though since I really do not prefer a huge kick of hops and I have never very much liked grapefruit which is a big part of this taste spectrum.

M Full, biting, busy.

D With tastes I do not much enjoy (hops bitterness and grapefruit citrus) I do not find it greatly drinkable.

Notes: I had no reason to be intimidated and neither should you. Maybe some day I will develop a taste for hops and then this beer will be right up there to represent one of the best hoppy beers, indeed a "poem to the hops." (1,720 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -25.7%

Ruination IPA

Impossible to find in New Jersey but easy to Find in San Diego!!

Appearance- a nice copper/orange with a thick billowy white head. head lasted to the last sip.
Smell- strong citrus hops with a sharp bitterness.
Taste- very bitter and dry. tastes of Citrus and pine needles.

Overall- a strong IPA that wasn't a hit or a miss. (350 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -25.5%

I am slowing making my way threw the Best of BA list and came across a six pack Ruination.

A. Poured a great looking Orange and slightly cloudy beer, which in turn began the mouth watering.

S. Smell was of a citrus hopy dose, along with hints of grapefruit. Honestly a great smell for a IPA.

Taste and Drink ability was where I ran into so hills on both accounts. From the start to about half the glass I was in love with the malty sweetness and the citrus along with a taste of honey. The amount of hops you are slammed with is heavenly. After the initial half glass the taste left very quickly and became a bland bitterness.

Overall this is a good beer and I would recommend to anyone who loves a great IPA beer. I had hoped my first bottle taste and the loosing of the flavors half way threw it was the cause of food I was eating previously, but later on in the week tried it again and had a repeat result. (914 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -25.2%

This one has been aging in the cellar since '03...
Appears a nice transparent orange with a 1 finger foamy white head.
Smell is of a citrusy, resinous hop with a bit of a biscuit, or oyster cracker smell backing it up. Oh boy...I can smell the alcohol on this one too.
Taste is overkill of bitter hops. Lots of floral, citrus hops and wood undertones with the bitterness killing every last tastebud. Don't know if it's me or what but this is like drinking malt licquor. So far, not so good.
Mouthfeel is ok but again, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of balance to all the bitterness that's going on. The alcohol is listed at 7.7%. Seems much more apparent and higher.
Drinkability was very dissapointing considering the amount of time that I was hyped up while cellar aging. Don't know if I let this go too long but I love well balanced IPA's and IIPA's. To me, this was hardly drinkable. It was like trying to drink a cognac that wasn't smooth, or balanced. Maybe I'll give one another try but I'll be cautious. I've loved several other IIPA's, including ones with IBU's over 90. Maybe next time.

It's ok, dog. (1,124 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -25.2%

Good copper color, with a full white head topping the pour. Oily residue indicated a nice hop presence and it wasn't joking.
Smelled huge hops with a slight bitter fruit but that's it.
Man is this sucker bitter. I love hops but this isn't anything like I expected. Hops, and grapefruit and even then the bitterness of the hops was too powerfull. Not even close to balanced.
Mouthfeel was slick and chewy but the stinging hops almost kept me from finishing it. I'd love to give this another shot sometime just becuase I love Stone beers but I may be hard pressed to do so. I hope this was a bad batchor something. (615 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Served on-cask at The Daily Pint in Santa Monica into a New Belgium goblet. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a two finger beige colour head of some cream, nice thickness, and good retention. Colour is a non-opaque caramel-copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Heavy floral hops - cascade, certainly. Clean malts. A bit of butterscotch. Oily piney hops. A moderate strength aroma.

T: Quite light, a result of the cask serving type. Oily pine, resinous grapefruit hop character, fragrant clean floral hops, a bit of pear, and some clove. Grapefruit is dominant but not overbearing. Clean malts form the foundation. Butterscotch is present (diacetyl?). It's fresh, tasty, and clean. Nicely layered. A bit simple, but mostly balanced and enjoyable. Some dry hop bitterness surfaces on the climax - though only briefly. It's decently concealed. Not a real subtle flavour profile, but subtlety has never been Stone's strong suit.

Mf: Light, clean, undercarbonated (a victim of the cask), smooth, wet, and thin (again, the pesky cask). Doesn't suit the flavour ideally, but generally so. A bit oily.

Dr: Drinkable and enjoyable. I'd prefer it on tap, no doubt. It is nice, though. Beats my low expectations. A nice beer from Stone, but nothing to write home about. I'd like to try it on proper kegging. Hides its ABV well. Priced highly at $8.00 for the underwhelming quality.

C+ (1,400 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -25.2%

This brew poured a small head of fine to large sized white bubbles and amber orange transparent body. It has a strong hoppy aroma and a strong hoppy flavor to boot. It has an initial hop flavor and a strong hop finish. You can summarize the brew in 1 word! HOPPY. A true hopheads delight. (288 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -24.8%

Purchased at Green's in Atlanta. Beer has a cool bottle and pours a little darker than a Miller High Life. Smells pretty good with a lot of hoppy aroma. After tasting, I must say that this one does not live up to the hype. It's hoppy and all but that's about it. Maybe one-dimensional is the best way to describe it. This beer has a sweet side to it but the malts don't seem to play a role in the sweetness. Almost like there is some type of "artificial" sweetness involved here. This seems strange to me and this is the reason I'm ranking this a little low. Somewhat overrated. (578 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -24.5%

Poured from a 22 ounce bomber into my snifter. Copper, orange/brown hues. Lack of red indicates lack of cyrstal malts. Off white head with larger than normal bubbles. Nice lacing.

Smells like Cascade hops. Some grapefruit and tangerine is present. A tiny bit of malt gets through -- some raisin also.

Tastes like raw hops. Intense bouquet up front that quickly turns bitter and then a very bitter aftertaste. A little bit of sweetness saves Ruination from being an undrinkable novelty beer. Very sharp, almost harsh feeling from the CO2 which is somehow OK.

Almost no mouthfeel whatsoever. Except that your gums are burning.

This beer needs more body to be truly drinkable. Too damn thin. The aftertaste is nice and long, but the medicine like bitterness just doesn't make it enjoyable enough. It is drinkable only because it is so alcoholic.

Notes: Um, come on Stone, you can do better than this. I mean yeah, you now hold the title for world's hoppiest beer. So what? Almost nauseating to get through an entire 22oz. First four ounces are fine. (1,063 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -24.3%

22 oz bomber poured a beautiful hazy orange with huge bubbly white head which stuck to the glass nicely. Nice hop aroma with some pine and earthiness. Taste is like bam! of bitterness. Medium body. Nice hop flavor but super bitter. Quite drinkable for 7.7 abv. (260 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -24.3%

Enjoy by 06/27/13 printed on the bottle.

I've had a lot of trouble with this brew. I was initially unimpressed but supposed maybe I'd just gotten a bad bottle and gave it another shot. Then I was sold an out of date package only to later realize that the beer was not so fresh as would be intended. Thanks for having inscrutably small "best by" labeling, Stone -- now I know where to look, but to a consumer in a store one might miss it entirely as I did on first pass. So now I've picked up the freshest single I could find and am ready to review this beer, giving it the full benefit of the doubt on all previous attempts.

Poured a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a nearly clear amber with a bubbly but flimsy half-finger head, which dissipates very quickly leaving minor lacing. Points here for the clarity and color, at least.

S: I quite like this. Pine, some spice, citrus, and malt sweetness are strong and portend a flavorful experience.

T: Really a let down. The taste is thin on flavorful hop oils and malt, dominated by bitterness, which is lasting but not in a way that makes me excited about continuing. The pine, malt, and citrus from the nose are all evident (in roughly that order) but everything is just dominated by the bitterness of the hops, forming a poor balance. I've certainly tasted much worse beers and much less flavorful IPAs, but this is not a strong showing for Stone and the negative tenor of this review is probably coming from an expectation that this beer just can't fulfill. On warming the citrus shows a little stonger, the pine and bitterness mellow a bit, but the bitterness still dominates.

M: Again very nice. Well balanced carbonation with a smooth-finishing body make this a very drinkable beer.

O: If it only tasted better, this really could have been an excellent beer. As it is, I'm ready to write this one off as another offering of Stone's that just isn't nearly as good as their best. (1,946 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -24.3%

Golden color with decent lacing. Mouthfeel is a bit thin. Strong hop bitterness. Piney - resiny hop flavor. Malt was very much in the background.

Two friends and myself did a blind tasting of 4 Imperial Pale Ales, and this one surprisingly scored the lowest on all our scorecards. (284 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -24.1%

I was really excited to try this beer. But I have been unsatisfied with virtually every beer I have had from this brewery.

It must be me. All their beers are highly rated on BA and seem to have a strong following but I have been disappointed in all the beers I have tried from here.

This beer looks promising, nice color, nice head. The smell is of citrusy hops and slightly piney.

The taste was average at best. Bitter, bitter hops, no character, no depth, biting hop flavor. Did they even try? This is weak. It's just a hop bomb. I love hoppy brews but this is not a good IIPA. It tastes like a standard IPA with a touch of alcohol.

This beer doesn't do anything for me and pales in comparison to the king of IIPA's, DFH 90 minute. (738 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -23.8%

- Pardon the abbreviated review, this was sampled at a free Stone tasting. Special thanks to Big Z's in Huntington NY -

A - Light honey.

S - Nice. Earthy, floral, fresh cut grass.

T - Bright fresh green hop flavors. Some funky hay notes pop up every now and then.

M - Light, well rounded bitterness. Light-medium body. (322 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -23.8%

A: This beer pours a golden orange with yellow highlights. It has a frothy, white head, about 2 fingers, that dissipates rather quickly. Only a pinstripe head is left on the edge of the glass with average lacing.

S: Not a complex nose. Floral and citrus hops are evident with a malty backbone.

T: This beer has a balance flavor of bitter citrus hops and malts. The initial taste on the palate is sweet, then goes hoppy, and ends with a pleasant bitter finish. An aggreeable aftertaste, the malts create a nice back bone for this beer. However, this beer's flavor can be summarized in one sentence by a friend... "it taste like I'm chewing on an orange peel."

M: A lean texture with a medium body and carbonation.

D: It's a good IPA, but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it again. Not my favorite beer of this style. (821 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a pale amber with 2 fingers worth of creamy white head.

Smells of citrusy hops, grapefuit

Taste is of strong citrus and floral hops. The hops leave a bitterness in the mouth. Leaves an odd aftertaste after the first few sips. Not very complex, and lacks character.

Mouthfeel is average. A medium body, medium carbonation, that bites the tongue a bit. Finishes dry.

Drinkability is average. It's not a hard beer to drink considering the ABV. I still wouldn't follow this bomber up with another one.

Overall, this beer doesn't do it for me nearly as much as I had hoped. I had high hopes considering Stone just came into Chicago, and after reading the reviews and trying Arrogant Bastard, I was ready to be wowed. It's not bad, it's just not great. I did get "used" to it the more I drank, which made it slightly more enjoyable. Not something I'd buy again. (912 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -22.9%

A- Gold color with lots of activity and a quarter inch of white head looks creamy.

S- Clean hops but not much there

T- Big hop kick but no malt some in the background but weak.

M- good thickness and nice carbonation.

D- A slow drinker, overall solid but not as good as others from Stone. (291 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This IPA wasn't all it was cracked up to be. Appearance was great. Orange and clear with 2 fingers of frothy head. Overall taste and smell seems rotten in every sense. It tastes like rotten tomatoes except hoppy as all hell. Not watery yet surprisingly smooth. It might have been just a bad batch, but this is my review. (320 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -22.4%

ehh, they oversold this one, not really that bitter I honestly find stone IPA to be more bitter than this, smells like and tastes literally exactly like chinook hop pellets (172 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -22.4%

Aromas of grapefruit and pine upfront. Floral and spicy too. A hint of swetness. In a strannge way, it somehow reminds me of how pink lemonade smells.

Looks golden/copper in colour. Average sized white head. Head retention is not so great, but it leaves some lace.

Taste is piney, and spicy. There is some of the citrusy grapefruit flavours there that I had smelled, but they are taking back-seat to the pine, floral, and spicy hops. There is a touch of sweetness that reminds me of watermelon flavoured candy.

Mouthfeel is between medium & light bodied, but closer to medium. It's kind of spritzy & fizzy.

Overall, this is a great IPA. The malt is there, you just have to really look for it. (704 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -22.2%

Poured from a bomber into a Sierra Nevada pint glass. The color is closer to amber than orange and more clear than I expected. The bubbles keep rising promising a refreshing experience. The head is huge and when it receded it left sticky lacing.

The aroma is dominated by hops with a sweet malt presence. Grapefruit, orange, lemon peel and pine are all present. The hops are even more intense in the flavor. Notes of lemon and sweet malts describe the first couple of sips. The finish is bitter and it lingers until the next sip. At about the end of the pint I felt the flavor was a bit cloying. The citrus element became harder to find and the pine took over. Where did the malts go? When I compare this with the Stone IPA I had on Saturday and the two Hop Slams I had yesterday this is not in that league in terms of good flavor. It's not a balanced hop profile, just more for the sake of more it seems.

The mouth feel is medium and refreshing, but the drinkability is medium to low. I'm getting through the bomber, but I don't want another. Nor will I buy this again.

Is this a bad beer? No. I can see why some people might like it a lot. I like more citrus, less pine, sweeter malt and just better flavor. Of course, taste is subjective. If you're a hop head, you need to give this a try and decide for yourself.. (1,320 characters)

Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.