Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,059 | Hads: 10,669
3.33/5  rDev -22.2%

Good but not what this hophead expected after I read the label. Poured IMO a more of a golden pale ale color with almost no head. The aroma was hoppy and only hoppy but not overwhelming. It had the bitter hop tatse but a very boring one, the character of this beer was the same from the first sip to the last. I would drink it again but there are many other IPA's out there that put this one to shame............CHEERS

3.35/5  rDev -21.7%

This is one of those beers that for me was just overhyped, and I never came around on it. Really nice amber appearance with very little head. I consider myself a big hophead, but this is one of the few big IPAs that I find really undrinkable. There is a really nice piney hop aroma and boy is the taste just a magnification of that smell. I just find Ruination to be too uncomplicated in its bitterness--an overload on hops as I often enjoy, but just in an unpleasant manner. Certainly a solid beer, but not one I will continue to seek out. I have had it four or five times now, including on tap, and it just doesn't do it for me.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

The smell of this beer is extrordinary. The looks is marvelous! A nice aroma of fruits and look of orange amber color.

Almost no head at pour, nice.

The taste...well i can say that there is a very hoppy taste, almost as hoppy as an iperial ale. The aftertaste is very bitter. On a second sip, it definetly hits my palatte better. Still too bitter for my tastes but i would not throw it away if finishing off a six pack or someone bought it for me.

Also feels a bit watery on the tongue

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: It is a medium shade of amber, with more hints of orange than brown. The beer is mostly transparent, showing limited haze through the glass. The head is a fluffy white billow that sticks well to the side of the glass.

S: I get a nice hop scent. I get a light resin scent, layered with more citrus on top. There is a hint of what smells like noble hops, with a light earthiness. Mostly I get a citrus scent though, which is like grapefruit and lemon peel.

T: There's more bitterness in the beer than hop flavor. I get what tastes like a bitter lemon rind. I don't get as much of the refreshing hop flavor that I expected from the scent. The malt character is very subdued in this beer. The aftertaste consists of what tastes like spruce fronds. The bitterness is right there, but I want more flavor.

M: The mouthfeel is very smooth with great carbonation. There is a punch of bitterness and it lingers strongly in the aftertaste. The beer is medium bodied, and leaves a light puckering of astringency.

O: Overall the beer is alright, but I wanted more hop flavor out of this. I can't call it average because it's better than some of the other average IIPA's I've had, but it also strongly lacks the flavor of many others. It's hard to call this one, because a bottle can lose a lot of flavor based on how long it's been shelved. I bet this is a lot better on tap. I would drink it again, but only if I could figure out how to verify the date, and only to re-review the beer. As it stands right now, I wouldn't pick this up if I had a chance to buy an IIPA from another brewery.

3.35/5  rDev -21.7%

I'm going to start off with my overall opinion saying I wasn't impressed by this considering all the praise. It lacks the wow factor in the taste department, and honestly I thought it was unpleasant. I was able to finish one, but on my second it ended up in a drain poor. My other two are going to be freebies.

A - Nice deep gold color which started with a foamy one finger head. No lacing on this.

S - Probably the strong suit of this beer and even in this category it wasn't special. Notes of hops, pine, and citrus.

T - Just wasn't as robust as advertised. It was standard IPA of hops, Pine, and Citrus. I've had cheaper IPAs with more complex flavors. This was just boozy and bland.

M - For something marked with over 100 IBUs it lacked serious kick. It's balanced and doesn't leave much for aftertaste aside of alcohol.

3.36/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 22 oz. bomber into a snifter

First off - WOW! This is extremely intense beer!

Appearance - One of the best-looking IIPA's - and beers in general - I've ever seen. A beautiful crystal clear orange color. The head was a good 2 fingers and was off-white, almost a slight orange color. It looked like apple juice with a foamy head. Looking at this beer in a snifter would make your mouth water!

Smell - Definite hop presence (duh). American hops - citrusy, orange-grapefruit almost. A slight fruity characteristic and a little bit of malty sweetness.

Taste - KA-POW! I wonder why they call it Ruination... Right away, ridiculous bitterness from the hops. I am 3/4 of the way through the bottle now, and so far they are still hanging around. My tongue is sort of adjusting, but I still taste a huge amount of the bitterness. Usually with IPAs and IIPAs, the bitterness sort of disappears after about halfway through the bottle. Not this one! There's a lot of orange flavor, as well as some slight piney-ness. Very slight grapefruit flavor, especially compared to other IIPAs (Double Trouble, Pliny, etc). There's a slight lemony characteristic - more so in the "sting" than flavor. After awhile, there's a fruity/malty sweetness but I have to say it's kind of difficult to find it on the tongue due to the hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel - A moderate body on this one, not as thick as other IIPAs I have had. There's a little bit of carbonation toward the beginning, but not nearly enough to scrub the tongue. There's also a slight sting from the bitterness - the kind of thing that would make you really notice a mouth sore if you had one. All of that being said, though, it is quite drinkable. It's very smooth once you get past the hop mine field.

Overall - This is not your average, every day IPA! I have a friend who dislikes hops and he said this beer was the worst thing he has ever had. I disagree with him, but I will definitely agree that if you don't like hops then you should STEER CLEAR from this beer (it says so right on the bottle!). If you are a hop head (like me), then you will find this beer quite enjoyable and very, very interesting! I feel like if you drank this too often, you would no longer be able to taste hop bitterness.

It's definitely a tasty beer, I found it quite enjoyable and I would definitely drink it again! (But not too often)

3.37/5  rDev -21.3%

I must first preface this review is coming from a non hop head. Keeping that in mind as well as havin g a healthy respect for beers of all types I will review this as best I can.

I poured the ruination from a 12 oz bottle into a goblet at about 45 degrees. It poured a nice golden amber with cream colored head.

The nose was all about the hops with a heavy lean towards the pine side of the spectrum with maybe a subtle note of citrud but I had a hard time detecting it.

The taste follows the nose with a heavy piney hops bitterness with a very subtle citrus note and a non existent floral note.

Overall, this beer was well outside of my hop liking parameter and too one sided for me to truly enjoy but I know that it is well loved and it is a well crafted beer packed ful of flavor. If hoppy bitterness overload is your thing that this IPA should be on your list. Enjoy!!!

3.37/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter

A: pours a golden color with a tad bit of darker orange. 3 fingers of slightly off-white head with excellent retention and lacing.

S: Not nearly as intense of a smelling beer as I had anticipated. Some grapefruit and floral notes, but not much else.

T: Thankfully, this was way more flavorful than the nose would have let on. Although not as balanced as I would have liked. Some grapefruit and tangerines at the start, but by and large dominated by the bitterness at the finish. I don't bind a nice crisp bitter finish for a beer of this style, but this one was out of proportion and a bit overwhelming in my opinion.

M: Pretty good, though it could use a little less carbonation. Sits on the tongue well.

D: I probably won't have this again. That's not to say that it was terrible, just not nearly as good as other beers of this style.

3.38/5  rDev -21%

22 oz bottle purchased at Bauer Wine and Spirits in Boston. Poured into an Ommegang glass.

Pours an orangey pale color with an invitingly frothy head. This beer also has an inviting, fruity scent, with easily enough hop oil to foreshadow the hop attack that is about come. The taste is all hops, but it is without the usual sweetness that accompanies big American DIPAs. I find Ruination to be too dry to really enjoy; it is just too rough.

3.38/5  rDev -21%

After all this time, Stone finally comes to New Jersey. All the hype, all the waiting, for...this? There is one word to describe this beer - bitter, bitter, bitter. The front of this is tasty, an almost smooth combination of flavors that instantly hit your tongue. But the follow though is such a broadside of bitterness that anything good gets wiped out almost instantly. There seems to be a trick in drinking this. Wash it out on the side of your tongue quickly then swallow. That way, not so much of the bitterness lingers in the mouth. But then, you're pounding the beer, not allowing the taste to linger in your mouth. For me, that's not the desired intent. That's generally how you drink straight vodka.

I don't know what it is about these Stone beers. But when I finally get my hands on some of their top offerings, they never fail to disappoint. Maybe expectations are a bit high. But really, no matter I expect such a strong bitterness is going to hinder anything I drink. Maybe I'm an East Coast hack, unable to appreciate the West Coast brilliance. Or maybe this beer just doesn't do it for me.

3.38/5  rDev -21%

Pours a great golden cloudy orange. Nice foamy head that fades to some nice lacing. Nice citrus/pine aroma with pleny of hop scent. First sip is nice an hoppy, but then ends quite bitter.
The bitter stays in my mouth and lingers. Not sure if this is a beer for me. I love hops, but this seems to have distinct bitterness that I don't seem to like. It gets a little better as it warms up. The bitterness tends to fade. I'm glad I tried it, but not sure how many I could have in one night.

PS. It is one of the coolest bottles, I love the etched gargoyle.

3.39/5  rDev -20.8%

Serving: 22 oz. bottle

Appearance: Dark golden, huge fluffy head, lots of lacing. Nice.

Smell: Strong alcohol that almost stings the nose, lots of hops, and maybe a touch of citrus

Taste: Hops, hops, hops, hops, and hops. The intensity is mild at first and increases long after you've swallowed. Definitely "over-hopped" as advertised on the bottle.

Mouthfeel: Tingly and medium-bodied, a quality I like with the style, but perhaps a bit too carbonated.

Drinkability: The extreme bitterness and high ABV would make it difficult for me to drink more than one.

Perhaps I should have heeded the warning on the label and should not have attempted this beer yet, as I can't consider myself a "confirmed hop head". Granted, this is definitely a respectable brew, as expected, but in my short time as a serious BA, there have been other IPA's that I would rather drink before purchasing this one again.

3.4/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into tulip
(enjoy by 12/15/14 printed on bottle)

L: gold pale with just a hint of amber (peach ... classic IPA/DIPA look); relatively clear for a DIPA; big sticky head, about 1-inch tall, maybe offwhite ... loads of bubbles in the column; pour this into a pilsener and it would look German-lager like with the clarity and bubbles; some lacing of note

S: very floral but as it warms becomes almost 100% caramel/mango

T: bitter up front with that floral note like in the nose dominating; it's what I'd imagine rose petals taste like ... holds onto the floral note much longer than the nose; shows a lot of the mango/caramel sweetness as we go, but the nose is sweeter to the much bitter taste

F: very nice all around, good weight but super drinkable for an 8+ ABV brew

O: good and I can see why it rates so high because the DIPA lover gets everything they want on the mango/caramel end of things with this one. my taste and overall numbers will be a bit off that because I hate the mango/caramel end, much prefer the citrus/grapefruit, but hey ... I can still admit this a well-made beer and more than that, I can tell how it's one of the blueprints for the craft beer craze -- at least half of the DIPAs I've tried taste just like this one

3.4/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Was a clear orange color with a white head that dissapated and left little lacing.

Smelled of lots of piney hops, some orange peel, and the slightest touch of malt and caramel.

Tasted of full on hops, to the point of them being over bearing. Leaves your mouth numb after a while. If you're looking for a well balanced IPA this is not it. Very bitter and dry finish with alcohol overtones. Smallest amount of malt in the background

Mouthfeel was good with carbonation maybe slightly high, but OK all in all.

Drinkibility was was not great due to the hop overkill that renders your tastebuds useless.

Overall this is a beer made to be extreme and nothing else. It succedes in that sense, but it is devoid of any type of balance to it.

Poured from 22 oz. bottle into founders snifter

A: Great light brown/orange hued pour with an off cream/orange colored head, about 1.5 fingers.

S: Cider like smell with sweet apples and green grapes coming through. Big hops at the end.

T: Not as impressed with the taste as with the smell. None of the sweetness notes from the smell come through in the taste. There is a slight bitter taste at the front end fades in the middle to almost nothing then kicks back in at the end and lingers.

M: Pretty crisp with good carbonation. Goes down smooth and has a lingering hop taste.

O: This beer did not match the hype for me. The flavor profiles of the hops and dried fruits fell flat and it most falls to a less enjoyable bitter state.

3.41/5  rDev -20.3%

I'm not a fan of IPA's but Stone has a good rep and I wanted to see what people were talking about.
A-Into a Stone glass. Pours an amberish goldish color with about 1cm worth of an off whitish head. It looks pretty.
S-Citrusy hops dominate. I detect floral notes and even some tropical ones like pineapple and mango.
T-I went into this wondering what I would get. I felt like I was sucking on a Christmas Tree. Syrupy and piney were on my palate forever. That being said though, the peppery spice flavors and some malt backbone helped to balance that out somehow. Alcohol...what alcohol? I never noticed! Kinda impressed here. I just couldn't get over the pineyness though. Took it down a notch.
M-Moderately carbonated. Prickly and offers a dry finish. Medium body. Not too shabby.
O-I try to be objective as possible, but honestly for this beer, one time is enough for me. I don't like the piney hoppy taste. Seems to be a popular thing in the USA but I'm just not catching on. One thing I can say is though is that this is probably the most drinkable IPA that I have ever drank. The balance was there and the other flavors made it quite refreshing. The alcohol was something I never noticed so the ABV is deceiving. Amongst the hopheads, I can understand why this beer is loved. Just not for me.

3.42/5  rDev -20.1%

On tap at Brixies in Brookfield IL served in a 10oz. snifter. This was my first local Stone beer purchase since they came to Chicago a few days ago.

It pours a hazy amber with a dense head and just a touch of lacing that clung to the glass.

The nose was just an absolute explosion of piny resinous hops. A little bit of orange citrus sneaks in there as well at the end. Its a huge noseful of hops and as the name suggests this is probably going to be an assault on my mouth.

First and foremost an overwhelming spicy type bitterness hits me and doesn't let go until well after I had finished the beer. The flavor of the bitterness is piny and grassy and seems as if I had extracted pure alpha acids and mixed it with some tre sap. Make no mistake this is the most one sided DIPA I've ever had and doesn't even attempt any sense of putting some malt flavor in the beer. While I don't fault that approach on principle this example lacks the cohesiveness I've found in other similar beers. In addition to the hop flavors, a fair amount of alcohol taste was present. This was surprising at only 7.7% ABV and I'm sure a pound of hops per bottle and it didn't make for a better taste.

The redeeming feature in this beer was the mouthfeel. The beer was full bodied with a nice creamy mouthfeel and a perfect amount of carb in order to put forth an effort to rid my mouth of the pure bitterness.

Drinkability was average at best but not all of that was attributed to the insane bitterness. The alcohol presence was just off putting.

I can appreciate this beer for what it claims to be, an utter assault on your palette, but i just don't see what the long term appeal to this beer is. I guess I just prefer my DIPA's with less bitterness and a better hop taste.

3.42/5  rDev -20.1%

Served in straight pint glass. Poured a hazy yellow with about an inch of white head that that had average retention and very good lacing.

Very pleasant mix of pine/floral/citrus hops on the nose. No noticeable malt foundation. The flavors lead and the taste follows obediently, nothing special, just what is expected from this type of beer.

The body is typical for the style. Drinkability is good, this is not as tongue-numbing as some examples of the style, but moreso than others.

Overall, a good, solid brew from a good solid brewery, that may be starting to believe their own hype.

3.43/5  rDev -19.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours cloudy orange translucent with receding white foam. Leaves some islands of foam floating in the top.

Grassy pine smell, some malt.

Firm hop taste that builds over time. Bitter throughout and lasting long into the aftertaste. Grapefruit notes.

Very powerful in the mouthfeel. I'm no hop head, but this was much mellower than I would have expected - it wasn't mellow by any means, but didn't kick my ass.

3.43/5  rDev -19.9%

Beautiful 22oz. bottle. These guys know how to make a bottle!

Pours a clear yellow/orange, with a creamy white head. Beautiful lacing on the glass.

Smells like hops, and plenty of em. I could sit and smell this sucker all night.

Tastes like hops, and plenty of em. Bottle says 100+ IBU and it's no lie. Hops up front, in the middle, and kicks you in the ass on the way out. Could use a hint of malt somewhere in the mix, a litte too unbalanced for my liking.

Body is good, about perfect for the style.

I can drink one of these from time to time. But nothing like Alpha King, which I can dink all night.

3.43/5  rDev -19.9%

A medium golden/orange color with a large foamy white head. Good lacing.

Smells of citrus, hops and a bit of pine.

Taste wasn't as balanced as I'd like. The hops just dominate everything else. Grapefruit is in there somewhere, along with some malt if you really go looking for it.

Mouthfeel was crisp, if a bit on the thin side. Still, one of the better brews in this regard.

This isn't something I'd care to session. While not as over the top as some of Stone's beers, it's still a little hop heavy for my taste. I'm sure there's a market out there for it though.

3.43/5  rDev -19.9%

22oz. bottled poured into my Half Acre pint glass...

Pours a hazy pale orange/golden yellow with a couple finger pancake batter-esque head that leaves a thin white cap on the beer for the whole glass, some lacing sticks around as well...

Rather weak nose hints towards a dry and earthy/piny hopped beer...

Taste is very west coast. Herbal dry hop onslaught with no malt backing to even things out. Grassy and piny, very bitter and drying, not much else...

Somewhat thin on the palette, good carbonation and a slight alcohol presence. Very drying with an undesirable aftertaste that won't go away...

One bomber is enough for me. I really like my IPA's/DIPA's but I prefer them with more balance...a more substantial, sweeter malt base is what I am looking for, not my style for a DIPA...

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle.

A: Lovely orange-gold color. Very little head which is somewhat surprising. Some pretty nice legs and good carbonation.

N: Plenty of hops in this one, but there’s also plenty of malt. Lots of pineapple and mango. Some pine. Some apricot and tangerine.

T: A lot sweeter than I expected, but there’s still plenty of hops to be found in here. Really well balanced and drinkable, but it’s no longer as assertively aggressive as it used to be on the DIPA landscape. It’s also rather muddled as though it wants to be part of both worlds of West and East coast.

M: Resinous with lots of alcohol given how light it is relatively speaking.

O: It seems like it would be very easy to pick Stone IPAs out a lineup given how their yeast is one of a kind. I remember when this beer used to kick my ass; now I realize it’s just not my kind of thing. Stone needs to tame the alcohol in these beers.

3.44/5  rDev -19.6%

Poured this from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass. A hazy, surprisingly light amber color (I was expecting something much darker) with small white head that quickly dissipates. Sticky lacing throughout.

Smell is a whopping floral bouquet with hops, hops and more hops. citrus, caramel and molasses are also present.

Taste. Hop bitterness crashes through and takes hold of my taste buds. Ruination, indeed. The flavor turns ever so slightly sweet with strong caramel a citrus touch, some biscuit and then back into the cheek sucking bitterness of the hop.

Mouthfeel. Crisp, oily and sharp. This brew certainly rolls around on the palate and gives it a medium bodied feel.

Drinkability. Most DIPAs I can put away one after another appreciating the hops, but also the sweetness balanced with it. This is not a balanced brew. And, for all those extreme hop heads who love their fix, this is certainly one to examine. For my tastes however, it was just a bit too much. Something about seemed... artificial. I really had to search out those other flavors besides piney, resiny, almost sickly overwhelming hops. I don't think I'll be grabbing for this one any time soon.

3.45/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Split a 12oz bottle with my wife, poured into a pint glass.

A) Light/golden color, small white head that lingers but doesn't stick much to the glass.

S) Some hops and citrus are the most prevalent.

T) Wow.... a lot of citrus and hops fight for center stage.... overall it's a very citrus-heavy DIPA.

M) Dry, and overall typical of the style, but I think there is a little more alcohol bite than I would expect from a beer with such a low ABV at 7% or so.

O) Tasty, I just wish the weather outside would cooperate so I could enjoy this refreshing brew even more. I have the remainder of the 6-pack that I'm sure to enjoy.

Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.