Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale (Red Wine Barrel Aged) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale (Red Wine Barrel Aged)
No picture.

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-15-2008

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
1.91/5  rDev -49.2%

On tap at Small bar into a tulip...Murky copper with very light retention...A very medicinal aroma, eucyaliptis comes in as well. A touch of red wine and sugar...The taste is more medicine, yeast, and euca. This is horrible and totally undrinkable. Not sure how this is wine aged as besides a hint on the aroma none comes through.

This is an undrinkable and terrible beer that should be avoided.

2.58/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

On-tap at Small Bar Logan Square. Generously(?) shared by Mike and Jason. Served in a tulip.

A - Looks OK. Thin foam settles to a thick ring, leaving behind no lace. Transparent golden orange-red.

S - Red wine, candi sugar, apple juice. Sickeningly sweet, and not particularly pleasant.

T - Cheap red wine, apples, caramel finish. Very strange. Medicinal with some Belgian yeast. Bah.

M - Smooth, low heat, low carbonation, vinous and slightly watery medium body.

D - Ugh. This supremely unpalatable, and none of us was particularly interested in finishing it. I'm not sure if the wine barrel-aging ruined a decent beer or if it just sucked to begin with. Glad I didn't pay for this crap.

2.85/5  rDev -24.2%

On tap at Beachwood BBQ last week.

A: The pour is a cloudy, light red color with a small white head.

S: A bit of fruity red wine character, but not much. A lot of spice, such as clove, nutmeg, and some yeast in there as well.

T: Can you say cloves? There is an overpowering clove flavor to this that just does not do it for me. There are other spices and maybe a bit of malt sweetness in there somewhere. The wine barrel didn't really contribute any flavor at all.

M: A nice medium body with moderate carbonation provide an enjoyable sensation on the tongue.

D: This one was really hard to drink. The spices just so overwhelmed the beer that I didn't find it enjoyable. I was hoping for some more wine character and a bit of sourness, perhaps, but I was sadly disappointed.

2.98/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had the 05, 07 and 07 wine barrel all side by side at Churchkey the other night, and those three were all rather disappointing.

Wine barrel 07, first of all, it smells like spiced wine, this was the first thing I noticed. It looks a lot like the 07, amber but this version is really hazy. I was semihoping that this beer would be a soured version of the super spiced 07, but its not, its just wine mixed with beer as far as I can tell.

I was talking with Oldsock the other day about barrel aging beer and he is convinced that breweries are either buying barrels that still have liquid in them (whether that be wine or bourbon) and adding beer to it. The math holds up this argument pretty well. This beer TASTES like there was red wine added to this beer and they don't play well together, its oddly tannic but not very oaky, it tastes like grapes / grape juice, and is drier than the 07. Unfortunately the spice level held up nicely. I'm glad I got some but I won't be fooled again.

3.01/5  rDev -19.9%

Pours an odd reddish color with a nice off white head that takes a while to dissipate but leaves no lacing on the glass. Smell is dominated by red wine. Hard to make out the Belgian pale beneath the wine notes, although I can detect a tiny bit of spicy hop presence.

Taste follows the aroma. Completely dominated by the red wine aging. Not a bad flavor, but I wish the belgian pale was allowed a bit more room to shine through. Again can only detect a tiny bit of hop presence.

3.1/5  rDev -17.6%

A- Poured a hazy light red color. Half finger whtie head shows poor retention. Some streaks of lace on the glass while I drank.

S- This was interesting to say the least. Lots of red wine notes in this over some light begian candi sugar. Spicing in the backend of the beer with hints of clove and light notes of belgian yeast. Kind of a funky pairing and it kind of works.

T- The Belgian yeast comes out first it seems like in the beer. Tons of clove as well that masks pretty much every other flavor. Light oak tones in the ending but the clove really does overpower anything else. Midway through the beer I get some light sweet malts but that is it.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style. Clove is left everywhere from the palate to the aftertaste with hints of alcohol in the aftertaste. Medium drying on the palate from alcohol. Flavors were off balance with the clove really cutting through every other flavor. No off flavors present just over flavoring.

D- This beer was average at best. Not my favorite thing from Stone although it was a good try. The barrel didn't come out like I hoped for and the clove really overtook most everything I think they were going for.

3.14/5  rDev -16.5%

On tap at Lord Hobo, served in a goblet for $7. I'll state first off that I didn't finish the entire goblet, I didn't completely care for this beer and want to move on to actual favorites. Just thought I'd try it as I'd never seen it before.

The regular 070707 was on tap also, but I didn't get it for a side-by-side. My recollection of the original was that it was kind of tripel-like and hot with alcohol.

The red wine barrel aged version didn't look strictly like a tripel, the barrel may have added a ruby hue to the beer. It looked really appealing, dark reddish orange and hazy with a creamy looking white foam. The smell wasn't really hot per se, but it was a bit of a mess nevertheless. Lots of esters and phenols and maybe spice. The wine came through too but not very strong compared with the yeast byproducts.

It tasted of all sorts of Belgian yeast, but in some way the flavors don't mesh well. Bitter with a slightly acidic twange that didn't match well for me. A lot of flavor but the flavor wasn't to my liking overall. I still think aging in wine barrels was a good experiment, but in this case I'd prefer not to see it again with a tripel.

3.23/5  rDev -14.1%

On tap at Churchkey.

Pours a nice moderate brownish red with an off white head. The nose brings forward a good deal of red wine alongside some caramel notes. A bit of spice, although not much. The taste is completely dominated by the flavor of generic red wine. There isn't much character to it, yet that's the liquid beverage I would most closely identify it with. Not really any notes of barrel aging; it could have been added wine. Mouthfeel is medium. Interesting, but does not drink terribly well.

3.37/5  rDev -10.4%

Review from notes taken on 10/1/10 at the Alewife during the Stone total tap takeover.

This "one off" of VE 7/7/7 appears a slightly hazed light orange color. A light offwhite head forms with a swirl and quickly dissolves. There is no lacing to speak of left along the glass despite sipping and swirling.

The aroma of this brew is strong with a scent of orange rind and light belgian phenols. There is a wine barrel influence here that comes across with a light and unexpected bretty and lactic smell. The backend of this brew however is quite enjoyable and vinous once it reaches proper temperature.

The taste of this brew initially is mostly the character of belgian yeast that imparts a bit of clove and an overall spiciness that hangs inside the mouth. Lingering notes of orange rind come to mind and a very light touch of hops. Very mild bitterness to this brew and it finishes dry. There are indications of wine barrel present that suggest some lactic quality that doesn't really fit in with the other flavors.

Medium to light feel with a light level of carbonation. This brew looks almost flat when sitting in the glass but has a prickly level of carbonation once it hits the tongue. In the days leading up to this Stone event I got to have a normal 7/7/7 so I have a basis to judge this brew from. I can't say that the wine barrel made this beer any better and if anything I dont have very high expectations for how the older VE's are holding up.

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

Extreme Beer Fest 2/15/08: Light gold color. Aroma/taste of Belgian yeast. Only a faint wine presence. A good beer, but I didn't get the complexity others have mentioned. Hardly different from the regular 070707.
Aroma: 7/10
Appearance: 4/5
Flavor: 7/10
Palate: 4/5
Overall: 14/20

3.53/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Imported from my ratebeer.com profile - FEB 23, 2008

Poured golden-orange with lots of carbonation and ample head. Smells of fruit, spice and alcohol. Tastes like a good Belgian ale should: fruity, tart, complex, yeast, a little hops and some spice (cloves?). This beer is full-flavored and medium-bodied, it is not light but not overly heavy. Not bad.

3.55/5  rDev -5.6%

Sampled at the 5th Annual West Coast Barrel Aged Beer Festival. Poured into a tulip. Reviewed from notes.

A: Served a hazy even amber color with a thin white head that faded into a faint collar that left spot of soapy lace down the glass.
S: Notes of berries, blueberries and a slight funk with hints of lemon and apple cider. Not bad.
T: Vinous notes of red wine, red grapes, strawberries, peaches, doughy yeast and still some slight BSPA notes underneath.
M: Medium body, viscous mouthfeel that's slippery and has some drying tannins.
D: Overall a decent brew. There wasn't really anything wrong with it but it didn't blow me away.

3.55/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Had this on tap at winter storm. I have to say, this was probably my least favorite beer of the day. This and the 06 vertical epic. Considering that it was still decent beer, I'd say the whole day was a complete success.

The appearance was slightly more reddish orange than I remember it. It seemed odd considering the style. The foam started off fluffy and orange white and then faded to nothing quickly. Plenty of carbonation in the beer.

The smell was fruity and malty and strongly of redwine. I thought that was pretty interesting and gave it some complexity. Also some sweetness as well as some sourness present in both smell and taste. The redwine was a bit more subtle in the taste than it was in the smell. There was plenty of spices to be noticed in this beer. It was kinda fun trying to pick out which ones I could recognize from the recipe on the website. Very interesting flavor but it wasn't really a spectacular flavor, just alright.

It would be fun to see how this one ages along side the regular version but like so many of the stone one offs, I doubt I'll get to try it again.

3.62/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A little bit over everything in the color, dark gold to light red running through it. Aroma had a wine like bitterness and astringency.

Taste really fell flat, had to take a couple of sips to really negotiate anything coming out of this. Cabernet tannins with the oak. Really makes me think of non descript red table wine. Dry. Coriander. Too much weird spice, maybe its the coriander in too high of a ratio. I have never been a big fan of the vertical epic series anyways.

3.62/5  rDev -3.7%

I was lucky enough to try this over at Tria in Philadelphia. Not only was it cool to get to sample this rare beer, but I got to talk to the brew master, Mitch Steele, for quite a while about how he got involved with beer.

Served in a wine glass, this beer was headless and when swirled, nothing appeared. It was a light pumpkin color, simple but nice looking. Head really would have complimented the color though.

The smell was sweet and all spice, cinnamon, and strawberry aromas were noticeable. All the flavors blended well together and the smell was overall very nice.

Due to the aging in wine barrels, I was able to taste an oak flavor as well as some kind of red wine essence as well as pumpkin. I felt that this beer was a tiny bit thin, which was definitely a disappointment. I felt that it also lacked a little bit of hoppy flavors.

A very solid beer, but I felt like it had much more potential.

3.67/5  rDev -2.4%

On tap at Stone during RBSG. Pours orange with a touch of hazy rust. Minimal wet white head. Aroma is rather winelike, with a vinous woody character that overpowers the traditional fruity esters found in the standard version of this beer. Flavor starts out sweet with banana and sweet spices, but then a thinning, tannic, vinous wine character dominates the finish. Honestly this beer tastes exactly like you'd imagine: part Belgian strong pale, part red wine. Not really a complementary combination. Finish is quite dry from the tannins and the winey astringency. Herbal tannic bitterness lingers. Overall this was an interesting and tasty beer, but it doesn't all fit together quite right for me.

3.71/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I sit up in my bed, unsure of the time. It's Saturday morning, & I'm alone(:cry:) in my hotel room. I can't quite gather the strength to crawl out of bed, but I could use a meal. What's on the menu I wonder? $18 for a fruit salad, $19 for eggs over easy & hash? Pass. Half growler of barrel-aged beer stuffed between the $4 water & $7 Heineken in the hotel's generous pay-per fridge? Score. :)

So I sit up in bed like a little kid, flip channels around whatever Saturday morning passes off as cartoons these days & get chewing.

I pour into a pretty thick low-ball & breathe it in deep. Besides the newly acquired orange/brown "Pledge"-esq color, it's pretty average, so I down my first one without much notice. Mmm... hurts like a screwdriver on a sore throat at 4am. After that wake-up call I line up the pillows for reinforcement & dig a little deeper.

Second pour gives my nose loads of caramel, cindered lump, a fair amount of alcohol, vinegar, & some cherry cough syrup. Almost like barrel-aged Hawaiian Punch. Almost. :P

It begins with the wood, but cuts deeply with a tart bite & lots of evenly toasted malt all over. Macerated fruits, almost like an overly alcoholic sangria. It's full of rind & very acidic. This sweet tooth would of appreciated a little more sugar. The end just collapses into malt. A decent shot of sour, then dry, but all malt in the finish.

A somewhat greasy feel to it all. I didn't notice much carbonation from the pour, but while what was there was good, it didn't wash down very easy.

The alcohol fumes bring some flavor with them, but damn, if anyone noticed I looked a little loopy on Saturday afternoon, well now you know why. :o

3.73/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours a reddish amber color with a nice 1/2 finger white head.

Huge Syrah notes in the nose that borders slightly on the too sweet side. Nice, all in all.

The taste? Syrah. Light tartness. Sweet toffee. Slightly spicy. Strawberry. Could have a bit more complexity.

Mouthfeel could be improved. More carbonation would suit this nicely.

Drinkability is altogether decent.

Recommended. A touch less Syrah and some more carbonation would have been just right for this beer.

3.8/5  rDev +1.1%

From 10/04/10 notes. Had on tap at Churchkey yesterday for the Stone Tap Takeover event.

a - Pours a clear, golden color with an inch of white head.

s - Smells of floral hops, cloves, spices, citrus, light red wine, light oak, and fruit.

t - Tastes of cloves and spices mostly, but also some red wine, spearmint, oak, fruit, citrus, and ginger.

m - Medium body and low carbonation.

d - While I enjoyed this beer, I was a little bit let down. This was one of the beers I was most excited for, and it was good, but I did not think the wine or oak was prominent in the smell or taste. I thought the ginger, cloves, and spices dominated both. Would drink again but wouldn't seek it out again.

3.8/5  rDev +1.1%

8 ounce glass at the first day of Stone's Winter Storm this afternoon for four dollars, split with my girlfriend who is usually a fan of these type of beers but was not particularly fond of this one

Color was a golden yellow with a slight orange tint in the light, 3/4 inch white creamy head that settled quickly, not much retention or lacing, tons of small bubbles rushing to the top the entire time

Smell had a lot red wine not to my surprise, also some sweet Belgian sugar, various fruit aromas, some sweeter malt scents than its regular version, some bananas, coriander, and a few other spices

Taste was similar to the non-barrel aged version with just a little tart, not as sour as I had hope for but still not bad, lots of spice and herbs throughout, some nice subtle fruit flavors that included bananas, cherries, and raspberries, when it warmed there was a little cinnamon and the coriander I originally smelled came to the surface, could have used some hops in my opinion, did not seem like it spent very long in the barrel, would be curious about finding exactly how long, very similar to normal 2007 Vertical Epic, just with a stronger sour fruit flavor

Body was fairly thick for a pale ale, probably thanks to how it changed in the barrel, lots of carbonation unfortunately did not go well with its thicker feel, taste lasted a long time, had a somewhat herby and sweet mouthfeel

Could not drink much more than I had of this, pretty heavy on the stomach and I am sure the ABV is pretty high considering it was to begin with before being thrown into a barrel, taste does not get tiresome though which is a plus

One of the beers I was really looking forward to trying today, not as good as I hoped but still not a bad experiment, glad I tried it regardless, many people did not seem to like this one around me, cannot argue with the price, expected to this to be more like ten dollars a glass, one of the better beers I had at the event but near as good as I orginally though it would be, recommended to anybody that checks out the Winter Storm this week

3.88/5  rDev +3.2%

Had on tap at the Stone Total Tap Takeover in Baltimore

A-pours a hazy golden amber color with a thin white head.

S-nice dry oak with some juicy red wine aromas. a light yeast presence with notes of green apple.

T-follows the nose, there is a fair bit of oak in the flavor with juicy ripe red wine grapes, sweet like zin. the green apple is faint and the spice is light in the back.

M-light bodied with a smooth refreshing feel. mellow in the finish and very easy to drink.

D-its pretty tasty and very easy to drink. the barrel aging was done pretty nicely and I thought it added some nice flavors. the green apple was slightly out of place to me but still a refreshing beer and better than the base.

3.88/5  rDev +3.2%

on tap at RnH during Total Takeover event. review from notes.

Pours a completely hazed copper orange with barely any head or lacing.

Surprisingly fruity nose bursts forward with hints of wood and hops.

Begins with some yeasty qualities and sweetness, and plenty of lighter, pale hoppiness. Continues with oaked smoothness, and dark fruit. Red wine flavors permeate more toward the end, as dryness builds towards the end. Tangy sweet and dark red wine wrap up the finish.

Medium bodied, fairly smooth drinking but some unusual flavors in there. Some people really didn't like this one but I was into the interesting profile.

3.97/5  rDev +5.6%

Had at the Stone Tap Takeover in Charlotte. Served from tap into a tumbler. Poured red-orange with a minimal off-white head. Maintained decent lacing throughout. The aroma was comprised of malt, red wine spices, subtle hops, and peppercorn. The flavor was of massive malt, red wine, and a subtle hop note. It had a light feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall this one was better than the original 07.07.07 that I tried right before this one. The flavors all seemed to fall into their own rather than just explode onto the palate. This version of the 07.07.07 is definitely worth a try if you can get your hands on it.

22oz bottle that had been aging in my cellar. Poured into a tulip glass

A: Pours a hazy amber-gold with a fluffy white long lasting head that leaves lacing on the glass

S: Fruity with spices apparent and a background of oak-vanilla

T: a fruity wine-like taste followed by vanilla. After you swallow you get the alcohol warmth though the alcohol doesn't have the "hot" taste.

M: Light bodied.

O: Nice. A quenching beer on a hot evening. A good subtle mixture of flavors that compliment each other.

4.08/5  rDev +8.5%

This offering was served to me clear yellow in color, which surprised me. I would have expected the barrel aging to make the body more cloudy, not less so. Still wasn't any head on it. 4

The red wine has cut the medicine, thankfully. It is still there, slightly haunting the beer, but this time there's way more to enjoy. The aroma I keep coming back to this time is peppermint, which actually brings the beer towards some sort of balance. 3.5

The medicine is gone! It's smooth and balanced, or, at least, more balanced than the previous '03 through '06 Vertical Epics I had prior to this one. The booze is not at the forefront, as it was with some of the others. The taste starts with red wine, before the peppermint comes back, and is finished with some clove. It's really nice. 4.5

Light and crisp, like its non-barrel-aged brethren. This time, the drinkability is improved by the taste! 4

This was the best of the Vertical Epics to this point. Spoiler Alert: There might be a few beers below that ended up being better. I really enjoyed this one, and was pretty shocked to taste the difference between the two. 07.07.07 is definitely better from the barrel. 4

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale (Red Wine Barrel Aged) from Stone Brewing Co.