Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale (Red Wine Barrel Aged) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale (Red Wine Barrel Aged)
No picture uploaded.

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-15-2008)
3.78/5  rDev -0.8%

From 10/04/10 notes. Had on tap at Churchkey yesterday for the Stone Tap Takeover event.

a - Pours a clear, golden color with an inch of white head.

s - Smells of floral hops, cloves, spices, citrus, light red wine, light oak, and fruit.

t - Tastes of cloves and spices mostly, but also some red wine, spearmint, oak, fruit, citrus, and ginger.

m - Medium body and low carbonation.

d - While I enjoyed this beer, I was a little bit let down. This was one of the beers I was most excited for, and it was good, but I did not think the wine or oak was prominent in the smell or taste. I thought the ginger, cloves, and spices dominated both. Would drink again but wouldn't seek it out again.

mdfb79, Oct 05, 2010

Pours an odd reddish color with a nice off white head that takes a while to dissipate but leaves no lacing on the glass. Smell is dominated by red wine. Hard to make out the Belgian pale beneath the wine notes, although I can detect a tiny bit of spicy hop presence.

Taste follows the aroma. Completely dominated by the red wine aging. Not a bad flavor, but I wish the belgian pale was allowed a bit more room to shine through. Again can only detect a tiny bit of hop presence.

HURTemHIZZY, Oct 05, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +28.1%

Sampled at the Stone 14th Anniversary Festival 8/21/10. This is very different then the 07.07.07 bottle I had recently and I like this better.

Pale straw color with good carbonation. White head that dissipates quickly. The red wine barrels lends a nice smooth oaky quality to the beer. It's not hoppy at all and I do get some vinous aroma and taste. Light bodied and very smooth, I love how this feels in my mouth.

Fortunately I live close to the brewery so I've had this a few times.

ZX6Chris, Aug 26, 2010
2.8/5  rDev -26.5%

On tap at Beachwood BBQ last week.

A: The pour is a cloudy, light red color with a small white head.

S: A bit of fruity red wine character, but not much. A lot of spice, such as clove, nutmeg, and some yeast in there as well.

T: Can you say cloves? There is an overpowering clove flavor to this that just does not do it for me. There are other spices and maybe a bit of malt sweetness in there somewhere. The wine barrel didn't really contribute any flavor at all.

M: A nice medium body with moderate carbonation provide an enjoyable sensation on the tongue.

D: This one was really hard to drink. The spices just so overwhelmed the beer that I didn't find it enjoyable. I was hoping for some more wine character and a bit of sourness, perhaps, but I was sadly disappointed.

womencantsail, Dec 24, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +10.8%

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ,

A: Pours a lightly cloudy red, with a soft mild white head, nice lace. Pretty colour for sure.

S: Wine barrel notes - cherry, red currant is quite noticable. Not as aromatic as the base beer though.

T: Has the sweet red fruit - cherries, strawberry, some notes of apricot and peach as well. Still has the spice and orange Belgian character of the original, but it's not the star of the show. Very well balanced, great taste overall.

M: Smooth, silky, with soft carbonation, medium-bodied.

D: A dynamite barrel aged beer out of Stone. Gabe at Beachwood added some lactic acid to this turning it into a sour and that made it that much better, putting out my request now for Stone to make a 7/7/7 Wine barrel sour.

Halcyondays, Dec 17, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +28.1%

wow... i had this on tap on saturday at pizza port in san diego. it was aged in red wine barrels, and im not sure if that was done originally at stone or if they did it themselves at pizza port, but damn, this shit was good.

a nice dark golden, almost amber body with a huge frothy white head. the smell is of spices, bready with begian yeast, and fruits galore.

the flavor is oh so sweet. the fruit complexity is ridiculous. apricot, peaches, cherries, and raisins. the bready flavor mixes nicely with everything else without taking over. the finish is full of sugary alcohol that leaves a sweet fruity after-taste, begging you to take another sip. the wine barrel aging is perfectly presented.

the mouthfeel is full and perfectly carbonated. simply fantastic. this is the only beer i had at a pizza port, and i went back for more. that says enough about drinkability.

honestly, one of the best beers ive ever had.

jdklks, Sep 23, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

I purchased this beer from Stone Brewing Co. in a 2L growler, special filling night. There was a considerable line of people at the time.

Appearance: This beer pours golden, with a small head that looks more like a soda head. Carbonation is *really* noticeable.

Smell: Definitely close to a sour. It has that smell very close to wine, with a fruity hint on it.

Taste: Did I mention carbonation? This beer was really carbonated. The taste floats between sweet/sour and it leaves a slightly bitter and hoppy aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: First thing that comes to mind is the heavy carbonation, then a slight sourness, and it feels most like a lighter type of beer. Sour hints hang around a while, then leave place for a slight bitterness.

Drinkability: Very easy drinkability, alcohol isn't really noticeable, but at 8.4%, this beer will hit fast.

dantecl, Sep 14, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +9.7%

A: Gold with a slight orange tint. A little haze. Unfortunately, served in a small plastic cup with the beer all the way up to the top, so any possible head this beer have had was likely spilled on to the floor before the cup ever met my hand.

S: Interesting. Very interesting. The aroma of wine is quite present with an overwhelming tart red wine grapiness to it. However, this wine smell kind of hangs on this sweet malty backbone. Difficult to describe, but I can say, it definately works.

T: Tastes just like it smells. There is this ying/yang, sweet/sour, candy tartness of the wine flavor action going on. But it's quickly followed up with a pleasant, light maltiness. Notes of orange and lemons. No tannins.

M: Medium in body with good carbonation allowing for the beer to end crisply. For being so sweet, you'd expect a much more cloying, syrupy mouthfeel, but I believe the carbonation lightens this beer significantly.

D: Definitely enjoyed this beer for what it is: a very complex, slow drinker that needs to be appreciated to be enjoyed. However, it is just that complexity, along with the sweet and sour flavor, that makes it too over the top to drink more than one at a time (though I am doubtful I will ever have the opportunity to purchase this beer again in my lifetime, but that is beside the point). Certainly enjoyed the chance to drink yet another excellent Stone product.

Florida9, Jun 07, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

Extreme Beer Fest 2/15/08: Light gold color. Aroma/taste of Belgian yeast. Only a faint wine presence. A good beer, but I didn't get the complexity others have mentioned. Hardly different from the regular 070707.
Aroma: 7/10
Appearance: 4/5
Flavor: 7/10
Palate: 4/5
Overall: 14/20
(3.6/5)

LilBeerDoctor, Dec 28, 2008
3.65/5  rDev -4.2%

I was lucky enough to try this over at Tria in Philadelphia. Not only was it cool to get to sample this rare beer, but I got to talk to the brew master, Mitch Steele, for quite a while about how he got involved with beer.

Served in a wine glass, this beer was headless and when swirled, nothing appeared. It was a light pumpkin color, simple but nice looking. Head really would have complimented the color though.

The smell was sweet and all spice, cinnamon, and strawberry aromas were noticeable. All the flavors blended well together and the smell was overall very nice.

Due to the aging in wine barrels, I was able to taste an oak flavor as well as some kind of red wine essence as well as pumpkin. I felt that this beer was a tiny bit thin, which was definitely a disappointment. I felt that it also lacked a little bit of hoppy flavors.

A very solid beer, but I felt like it had much more potential.

Finkel, Nov 10, 2008
4.13/5  rDev +8.4%

Draft at Tria in Philly: pours a golden amber color with a wispy white head, aroma of banana, yeast, taste has some sweetness up front but finishes with tastes from the wine barrel. Very nice tasting brew. I also got to meet Mitch Steele during this tasting which was an extra bonus.

bpelowski, Nov 05, 2008
3.65/5  rDev -4.2%

On tap at Stone during RBSG. Pours orange with a touch of hazy rust. Minimal wet white head. Aroma is rather winelike, with a vinous woody character that overpowers the traditional fruity esters found in the standard version of this beer. Flavor starts out sweet with banana and sweet spices, but then a thinning, tannic, vinous wine character dominates the finish. Honestly this beer tastes exactly like you'd imagine: part Belgian strong pale, part red wine. Not really a complementary combination. Finish is quite dry from the tannins and the winey astringency. Herbal tannic bitterness lingers. Overall this was an interesting and tasty beer, but it doesn't all fit together quite right for me.

illidurit, Aug 19, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

A- Pours a slightly hazed copper color. Looks exactly like an iced tea. Minimal off white head that quickly pops into a semi-circle rim.

S- Oooh that's nice. The sweet sugary banana jump out in front then as I continue my deep whiff I get the subtle jammy woody wine notes.

T- Once again, I get the belgian banana candied sugar jumping out at me. Subtle berry jam flavors weave in and out with light woody flavors. I wonder how long this was in the red wine barrels. I would love to have some that has been in there longer.

M- Medium body. Coats my tongue, but dries up a little with the tannic finish. Low carbonation.

D- I've never had the 02 and besides the 04, this is my favorite VE. I realize this is a variation, but damn this is good. Now that I think about it...I love Craftsman Cabernale, Allagash Victor and Victoria and CL Smoke from the Oak (red wine barrelled). I sense a theme.

m1ked, Aug 14, 2008
3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours a reddish amber color with a nice 1/2 finger white head.

Huge Syrah notes in the nose that borders slightly on the too sweet side. Nice, all in all.

The taste? Syrah. Light tartness. Sweet toffee. Slightly spicy. Strawberry. Could have a bit more complexity.

Mouthfeel could be improved. More carbonation would suit this nicely.

Drinkability is altogether decent.

Recommended. A touch less Syrah and some more carbonation would have been just right for this beer.

rallison, May 21, 2008
3.68/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I sit up in my bed, unsure of the time. It's Saturday morning, & I'm alone(:cry:) in my hotel room. I can't quite gather the strength to crawl out of bed, but I could use a meal. What's on the menu I wonder? $18 for a fruit salad, $19 for eggs over easy & hash? Pass. Half growler of barrel-aged beer stuffed between the $4 water & $7 Heineken in the hotel's generous pay-per fridge? Score. :)

So I sit up in bed like a little kid, flip channels around whatever Saturday morning passes off as cartoons these days & get chewing.

I pour into a pretty thick low-ball & breathe it in deep. Besides the newly acquired orange/brown "Pledge"-esq color, it's pretty average, so I down my first one without much notice. Mmm... hurts like a screwdriver on a sore throat at 4am. After that wake-up call I line up the pillows for reinforcement & dig a little deeper.

Second pour gives my nose loads of caramel, cindered lump, a fair amount of alcohol, vinegar, & some cherry cough syrup. Almost like barrel-aged Hawaiian Punch. Almost. :P

It begins with the wood, but cuts deeply with a tart bite & lots of evenly toasted malt all over. Macerated fruits, almost like an overly alcoholic sangria. It's full of rind & very acidic. This sweet tooth would of appreciated a little more sugar. The end just collapses into malt. A decent shot of sour, then dry, but all malt in the finish.

A somewhat greasy feel to it all. I didn't notice much carbonation from the pour, but while what was there was good, it didn't wash down very easy.

The alcohol fumes bring some flavor with them, but damn, if anyone noticed I looked a little loopy on Saturday afternoon, well now you know why. :o

PEBKAC, Feb 25, 2008
3.55/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Had this on tap at winter storm. I have to say, this was probably my least favorite beer of the day. This and the 06 vertical epic. Considering that it was still decent beer, I'd say the whole day was a complete success.

The appearance was slightly more reddish orange than I remember it. It seemed odd considering the style. The foam started off fluffy and orange white and then faded to nothing quickly. Plenty of carbonation in the beer.

The smell was fruity and malty and strongly of redwine. I thought that was pretty interesting and gave it some complexity. Also some sweetness as well as some sourness present in both smell and taste. The redwine was a bit more subtle in the taste than it was in the smell. There was plenty of spices to be noticed in this beer. It was kinda fun trying to pick out which ones I could recognize from the recipe on the website. Very interesting flavor but it wasn't really a spectacular flavor, just alright.

It would be fun to see how this one ages along side the regular version but like so many of the stone one offs, I doubt I'll get to try it again.

t0rin0, Jan 29, 2008
4.18/5  rDev +9.7%

On tap at the Stone Storm

Appearance is a murky light orange hue, minimal head dissipates, minimal lacing

Smell is sweet and tart fruits, red wine and oaken wood, light fruits and alcohol

Taste is sweet fruits along with dry red wine and oak from the barrels, green apples, pears, and raisins in the background, finishes tart and dry, overall very wine-like but pleasant and unique

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, watery texture, lively carbonation

Drinkability is good, this is an interesting variation on the Vertical Epic style that has definitely been imbued with a good deal of wine character, borders on a sour ale, the sweet and dry mixture is both unique and refreshing, but probably better enjoyed only in small quantities

Stoneman78, Jan 29, 2008
3.78/5  rDev -0.8%

8 ounce glass at the first day of Stone's Winter Storm this afternoon for four dollars, split with my girlfriend who is usually a fan of these type of beers but was not particularly fond of this one

Color was a golden yellow with a slight orange tint in the light, 3/4 inch white creamy head that settled quickly, not much retention or lacing, tons of small bubbles rushing to the top the entire time

Smell had a lot red wine not to my surprise, also some sweet Belgian sugar, various fruit aromas, some sweeter malt scents than its regular version, some bananas, coriander, and a few other spices

Taste was similar to the non-barrel aged version with just a little tart, not as sour as I had hope for but still not bad, lots of spice and herbs throughout, some nice subtle fruit flavors that included bananas, cherries, and raspberries, when it warmed there was a little cinnamon and the coriander I originally smelled came to the surface, could have used some hops in my opinion, did not seem like it spent very long in the barrel, would be curious about finding exactly how long, very similar to normal 2007 Vertical Epic, just with a stronger sour fruit flavor

Body was fairly thick for a pale ale, probably thanks to how it changed in the barrel, lots of carbonation unfortunately did not go well with its thicker feel, taste lasted a long time, had a somewhat herby and sweet mouthfeel

Could not drink much more than I had of this, pretty heavy on the stomach and I am sure the ABV is pretty high considering it was to begin with before being thrown into a barrel, taste does not get tiresome though which is a plus

One of the beers I was really looking forward to trying today, not as good as I hoped but still not a bad experiment, glad I tried it regardless, many people did not seem to like this one around me, cannot argue with the price, expected to this to be more like ten dollars a glass, one of the better beers I had at the event but near as good as I orginally though it would be, recommended to anybody that checks out the Winter Storm this week

Floydster, Jan 28, 2008
Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale (Red Wine Barrel Aged) from Stone Brewing Co.