1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal StoutStone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: ThreeWiseMen on 07-02-2008)

I am really tired of describing the appearance of stouts... this one is black, has a coffee colored head and has some nice sporadic lace

notes of oats and chocolate, the aroma is EXACTLY what I would expect from the label

again, dark complicated fruity flavors of dark chocolate sitting on top of the smooth oatmeal malts. Snappy there is everything that is supposed to be in a stout except the usual bit of coffee that this beer doesn't even begin to advertise. Smooth malts, smooth bitterness, good stuff.

its heavy in body, it's creamy and smooth the right ammount of carbonation

very drinkable, lots of flavor, keep wanting another sip.

Donnie2112, Jul 19, 2008

mcgwire756, Dec 23, 2011

BrewinHeadBanger, Dec 05, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours as black as an beer I have ever seen. A big head up front dissipates to a fluffy 1/2 finger head. The smell is bakers chocolate and really no hops to speak of. The taste is rather bitter with chocolate and a bit of oatmeal, the hop presence is almost no existent but its not unbalanced. This is defintalty a sipper, but its and interesting take on the style. Always interesting with the stone anniversary brews.

dickieb, Aug 16, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

Bottled in July, 2008

Purchased @ Julio's Liquors, Westborough, Mass

Price - $6.99/bomber

WoW, This beer just keeps getting better looking with time. Pours thick and midnight black with a fluffy fudge brownie colored head. Retention is short lived but leaves behind a creamy covering that lasts. Laces well after three years of aging. Impressive!

A strong scent of bakers chocolate permeates through the nose and blends well with the faint aroma of booze reminding you this isn't a dessert but a beer. Molasses and burnt malt become more noticeable as it comes up to room temperature.

The flavor follows the nose with rich bitter chocolate, molasses and booze. It's definitely taking on a port like flavor as I finish the bottle.

The mouthfeel is creamy and smooth with little heat for the octane level. The body is thick and syrupy and finishes dry.

Overall I can't get enough of this beer. I've gone through six bombers over the last three years, this being my last one. I'm not sure how much longer it can age and improve but if given the opportunity to buy it again I would without hesitation. One of the best beers I've ever had for the price.

05Harley, Jul 05, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +0.7%

A: pours jet black and looks thick, with a brown head that fell quickly.

S: smells sweet. almost like a milk stout, maybe from the oatmeal? it has a nice roastiness as well. it smells of chocolate and vanilla as well.

T: taste is quite complex. it starts off sweet and finishes bitter. you can taste dark chocolate, some toffee, some dark fruits, alcohol and roastiness.

M: it has a medium body with decent carbonation. a nice mouth feel.

D: very drinkable. i wish i had more than just this one bottle!

drank with philerup.

drank on: 04.30.09
bottled: 07.08

ottovon, May 01, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -8.3%

Served in a chalice. Pours a dark black, with a very dark brown head that cascades lovely down the inside of my chalice. Big 3 finger head that drops quickly to 2 finger head, then takes its time deflating to the level of the beer itself. This has got to be the darkest head I've seen on a beer in some time! I love the looks of this brew.

I detect chocolate and coffee aroma, burnt and roasted grains, and I also notice a little fruit poking through. Alcohol is evident here as well.

First sip reveals chocolate bitterness, with a lot of alcohol coming through. Subsequent drinks reveal raison sweetness, but not ever breaking away from the chocolate. Some coffee drifts in and out of the picture, as well as a timidly noticeable hop bitterness, but overall, bittersweet chocolate is the star here, with all other flavors playing supporting roles. I think a year minimum would do this brew proud. I will be picking up another bottle to cellar it for at least a year.

This is a thin to medium bodied brew, with a medium dry finish. I would have liked a bit more body. Appropriate level of carbonation though, as I like it a bit lower in dark beer.

Overall, a drinkable beer, but ultimately, one that I would (and will) cellar for a year at least. That being said, I wouldn't drink more than 1 of these at a time currently, this being reflected in my scoring for drinkability. I will revisit after cellaring, and edit review at that time, if necessary. Cheers.

dancinwillie, Aug 14, 2008
3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

This is the stone's 12th anniversary batch I think the btl. reads? Just came out today. This badd boy pours a big thick creamy looking head with very good lacing for a stout. The nose has mocha and some burnt coffee smell or real strong expresso. The taste is more of what the nose reveals and also some spicy hops with a earthiness and I get some some back licorice and some sandalwood. The mouthfeel is creamy just a little thin for such a big beer. The drinkabilty is very good for being 9.2% I like the fact they used two recipes combined to get this brew!!

athensbeermaster, Jul 10, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +11.7%

This looks as thick and stout as any beer I have ever put into a glass. Thick and oily looking. Black, and black again! Thin tan head similar to thier russian imperial stout.

Smells flat. Nothing really stands out. Some coffie, raisons, old oil smells, maybe even artificial smoke? Not too impressed with the smell....no hops.

Tastes incredible. I HAVE to compare this with their russian imperial stout. Just add more bitterness, more dark chocolates, take out the hops, more booze, and more smoke/burnt roastiness, and you have this wonderfull origianl concoxion. Bitter is the word. Not many will like this one.

Moutfeel is creamy with medium carbonation. The bitterness has a great effect on the mouthfeel. The creamyness comes from the oatmeal, I would assume. But the bitterness is in your face all the way through. Wonderfull chocolate and booze bitterness and "burn" make this beer one orginal masterpiece!

Trueant1, Jul 12, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +3.9%

Almost completely black in color (there is just a hint of color holding the beer right against a bright light). Minimal carbonation, so a big head never builds up. A moderate head is dark (I almost want to say "light chocolate" in color, but that's probably just because of the name).

Aroma is chocolate and roasted, slightly burned malt. Beautiful smooth mouthfeel. And smoothness makes it highly drinkable. There is a slight burn of alcohol, but despite of high ABV this beer is quite lightto drink. There is chocolate bitterness, but it's not overly pronounced. I think this beer exhibits nice balance between sweetness and dryness. It's quite sweet as you drink it, but dryness lingers in the aftertaste.

I am not blown away by this stourt. I wanted to open a full-flavor stout, and I am NOT disappointed. Writing the review, I keep coming back over and over for a sip. For some reason, I also have an urge to buy another bottle and age it.

ikats, Dec 09, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

ChanChan, Feb 16, 2014
3.83/5  rDev -7%

2+ year old bomber poured into my favorite snifter glass

A: Beer pours a very dark used motor oil like black that does not yield much head. A slight off white sheen of head quickly dissolves in my snifter glass. Limited lacing but very sticky

S: Very boozy, malty, chocolate aroma to this beer. A complex theme of flavors that seems to center around a dark malt chocolate flavor.

T: Nice dark chocolate, liquorice, roasted malt taste with a hint of bitter hops. There is a distinct bitter chocolate malt finish to this beer which also revels a very strong alcohol presence.

M: Medium body with a very light carbonation to this beer. There is a medium thickness to this beer but the taste is quite smooth.

D: - Very drinkable beer given the thickness and high ABV content. This is a delicious beer that has aged quite well over the last several years. The interplay between dark chocolate, hops and malt backbone is most excellent!

racer2k, Apr 03, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +2.4%

Bomber thanks to footbalm, bought at Lee's Liquors. Pours a pure black color with a medium tan, almost light brown-reddish head. The aroma is tons of oatmeal, roasted notes, and a strong bourbon aspect. The taste is excellent; lots of roasted malt flavors, some bitter and milk chocolates, a large oat presence, and a lesser dark fruit aspect. Very good and a bit different than I'm used to, in a good way. A lot of alcohol warmth, and a slight bitterness in the finish. Quite milky and full flavored. Just damn good.

Douglas88, Nov 13, 2008
4.15/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Black w/ a thin tan head that disappeared in less than a minute. Man this is black. Lots of lacing left on the glass (Tulip) as well. Leaves that dark syrup on the glass after you tilt it - schwing.

S: Some alcohol, coco/coacoa. Also heavy malts.

T: Very tasty. Bitterly delicious. Starts w/ the malts, and finishes w/ the coco/chocolate. Very similar to dark bitter-sweet Godiva Chocolates. The flavors last for a looong time after you drink it (10-15 min's loooong).

M: Pretty thin for an oatmeal stout, but it really fits.

D: Another exceptional beer by Stone. God I wish I lived in Cali.

gkatsoris, Jul 18, 2008
4.8/5  rDev +16.5%

Another incredible beer by Stone. Love the chocolate aroma and taste. I consider this on par with Stone's Imperial Russian Stout. Pours the same black consistency. Mouthfeel is thick and creamy and amazing. Very sweet beer. 9 ABV is a welcome component for me as it packs quite the punch.

merryjoulton, Aug 04, 2008

despond, Nov 20, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +5.6%

A: Black as night with a mocha head that kept
pace with my sippin'.

S: Smells like a chocolate shop with a hint of some guy drinking a cup of coffee in the back.

M: Thick and rich, just like I like my ... I'm an idiot.

D: Very drinkable for such a heavy beer, I could have definately drank the 22 myself but I had made a committment to share with a guy much larger than me.

Great beer with a lot more character than many chocolates stouts that I've had.

ArrogantDeadGuy, May 01, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +7.5%

Last bottle from rattle n hum. Poured room temp into a small chalice looking glass. Looks as a stout should dark deep brown with a 1 finger tan head for a solid 30 seconds while the head dissipates to nothing. Smell is comprised of dark chocolate, plum, brown sugar and alcohol. Taste is much closer to the description oatmeal stout with a definite presence of unsweetened chocolate. Mouthfeel has some definite pluses silky, mild carbonation and a slight alcohol heat. Overall I would buy this again given the oppurtunity.

STEG, Apr 09, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +5.1%

Appearance: Pours a very dark black color with a thin tan ring around the edge. Slight lacing on the sides.

Nose: A nice roasted malt scent with some chocolate and creamy oat scent. It has a slight vanilla sweetness too.

Taste: A deep rich toasted malt flavor. Not as much chocolate as the nose but its very present. Bitter chocolate gives way to the roasted oat and smooth toffee and espresso flavor. Definitely some dark fruits, maybe some prunes as well. A slight alcohol burn at the end.

Mouthfeel: Very heavy beer with low carbonation. This beer is very creamy and almost chewy in your mouth. There is a slight alcohol twinge at the end.

Drinkability: Stone made a great beer in this one. Sometimes you get tired of a plain old Oatmaeal Stout. This was a nice twist and its exactly as advertised. I wish they would make this year round.

ShrLSU, May 08, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +3.9%

The first time I tried this beer, I really didn't care for it, but I wanted to give it a second chance before reviewing it and it really blew me away the second time around.

A- Pours very thick, opaque, and jet black with a quickly dissipating mocha head.

S- The bitter chocolate definitely makes its presence known in the nose. Notes of coffee are pretty clear as well as a slightly smoky, boozy smell, almost of bourbon or rum.

T- The taste is an intensified version of the aroma. The bitter chocolate is clearly noted, however the cocoa flavor sweetens as the beer warms. A slightly bitter smokiness is present with the taste of alcohol coming through, but as more of a warming flavor. The flavor of dark fruits come through as the beer warms, namely plums.

M- The oatmeal creates a very creamy and pleasant mouthfeel, accented by moderate carbonation and a medium-dry finish (thanks to the bitter chocolate).

D- Knowing Stone, I was expecting a beer with the word "bitter" in it to be supremely and almost unbearably bitter, however, the bitterness was more than welcome and did not intrude on the other flavors of the beer. I split this bomber, but am more than ready to share a second one.

JoeMayo, Aug 16, 2008
4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured from bomber into Allagash tulip.

A: Black with small tan head. Beautiful lacing.

N: Chocolate and rum.

T/M: Chocolate and roasted/burned coffee. Alcohol flavor comes in right after. Body is creamy and the beer is very drinkable as a dessert. There is something missing from this though. Beer flavor is a bit one-dimensional.

Found this beer in the back of my kegerator a while back and decided to try it out since my buddy, MrTopher, just traded me a few that he found sitting in the back of his local bottle shop. Not sure if the prolonged cold affected this one, but it just seemed to be missing a bit of flavor I remembered it having when fresh.

peacebone116, Apr 04, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +8.5%

poured from a 22oz bomber into my arrogant bastard pint glass (half at a time of course). Right off the bat I was impressed, the pour is thick as hell, looks like molasses and is the definition of blackness. The head is barely there to start, just a thin layer on top but it too is as dark as they come, a rich deep brown color like cured oak.

The initial smell is bitter, not the bittering from hops like ipa's get but a whole new kind that is much more relaxed, a smooth bitterness that pleases my nose, almost reminds me of tart berries. I also get a little alcohol smell, not much though and it's paired with a vanilla bean (so basically vanilla extract, and not the cheap knockoff either).

After tasting this brew, it really just names itself. Each flavor in its title is represented in the stone fashion in perfect succession. The bitterness in the nose hits you first and adds an enticing spiciness which prepares you for the chocolate sweetness coming your way. Chocolate next, but with that spice there it's tones down from the extremely bittersweet kinds I like. Oppositely, the choc is a great way to tone down the spice and cleanse the palate for the smooth oatmeal finish, no spice in the end but the oats are definitely prominent with a bit of dryness in the last.

It's a stout! Actually, it's not even as thick as it looks because of that spicy addition to the body of the brew but the added oatmeal does give it a solid feel. Just an all around balance between that uber thick sweet stout and a spicy ipa in the body count.

9.2%...what?? You have to like bitter to like this beer, but seriously it's that exact flavor that completely cancels out any alcohol esters that would lay in the flavor to hinder the drinkability (or aid it depending on who you are). When I think about it, it's very revolutionary how they did that b/c the stout style usually uses a huge body and an ultra sweet choc and coffee combo to shoo away the estery alcohol flavors but this utilizes a whole new quality of chocolate. Seriously its good, I dig it.

Bottom line this brew is a great new take on bitterness, I mean hops are awesome, I love em to death, but I also like the boldness of style in this brew and it definitely paid off. This is probably something you haven't experienced before and they aren't brewin em again so get em while they're around!

dwilson01, Apr 22, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +5.6%

Served in a pint glass from tap. Appearance was pitch black with a thick tan head that dissipated quickly. Smells of sweet bitter chocolate and roasted malts. Tastes of dark chocolate, roasted coffee with a slightly bitter finish. Mouthfeel is full bodied and a very smooth drinking beer for such a high ABV.

jayfarley3, Jan 23, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -1.7%

bomber poured into a chalice.

A - Pours black, with a 1/4 inch mocha head that quickly dispersed to a thin layer and ring around.

S - Roasted malt and chocolate.

T - Wow. Bitter from the chocolate, smooth from the oatmeal. Bitter linger.

M - Thick, mouth coating. Creamy, little carbonation.

D - It's good, but at the ABV, one's the limit.

tedpeer, Aug 06, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +8.5%

The 3rd and last West coast beer for the night. This is part of the 2nd week of West coast vs. Midwest beers.

Provided by madorb, heck yes!

A screen printed bomber split between my girlfriend, madorb, and myself.

A hearty pour into each of our pint glasses doesn't give us much head. This beer is a pitch, glossy black. The small amount of head we had is now gone. There is no lacing, the sides of my glass are clean.

The nose is full of dark roasted malts, dried fruits, and red wine barrels.

The taste is great. It's complex without being too complex. It's bitter enough to make your brain run wild. I could've sworn this was barrel aged. It's very bitter and dry and leaves me wanting more. I'm not really picking up on any chocolate, but my taste could be off from tasting beers for most of the night.

This is one of the few beers I've had from Stone and I would really like to try more beers like this if they wanted to brew them.

Cheers!

beertooth, Sep 25, 2008
Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout from Stone Brewing Co.