Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal StoutStone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: ThreeWiseMen on 07-02-2008

3.74/5  rDev -8.1%

This beer is a nice Chocolate Oatmeal RIS.
Appearance: The beer poured dark brown-black with a small dark brown head.
Smell: dark chocolate, roasted malt and slight alcohol at the end.
Taste: warm alcohol, roasted malts and finishes like a 70% Cacao chocolate bar.
Mouthfeel: full bodied and silky from the oatmeal.
Drinkability: I would recommend this beer to chocolate lovers and RIS drinkers, Very enjoyable, not a beer I will stock up on but I will cellar at least one for later enjoyment. (497 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +4.7%

Dark dark brown, close to black with a thick brown colored head. Chocolate roasty bitterness with slight lingering aftertaste broken up by carbonation. Mouth feel is solid but not as sweet as expected probably combated by the bitterness. Coffee aroma, with slight hints of brown sugar.

Awesome beer, need to buy more.. (319 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +13%

This is one amazing stout.

Pours dark brown to black with a coffee/cream head. Good retention.
Smell is chocolate, bittering hops, and chocolate malt.
Taste is amazing, bitter up front but not overpowering, followed by chocolate, with hops following after. Long finish but sooo enjoyable. Little to no alcohol taste or wamth detected.
Mouthfeel is also incredible. I don't know how they did it but this beer is so smooth it's like "wiping your [tongue] with silk." Must have copius amounts of oatmeal in the mash. Very full bodied!
Drinkability is very high for such a large beer. I found myself drinking this way too fast. This is the best chocolate stout I have had to date. (677 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +17.9%

Poured from a bomber into a snifter. Cellared since near the release date (first I could get my hands on anyway) about 2 ½ years I would think (I forget when the 'anniversaries' come out).

Infinitely black, like the night sky absent moon and stars. Mocha-colored, full-of-flavor-looking head. Mellow/subtle but still great lacing.

Pretty surprised at the alcohol evident in the smell considering it's only 9.2% and the amount of aging on it. Can't find the word I'm looking for exactly to describe the unique part of the nose that's coming from the oatmeal. Rest of the nose is more typical/what you'd expect.

Delicious. I know the name begins with the words bitter chocolate, but the taste begins with unmistakable bitter coffee notes. I find this interesting and unique. Usually we're use to stouts having these notes in the middle or end, so pretty cool. Of course, chocolaty throughout. And not as bitter as the title might have you believe.

Full-bodied. Just like a world-class oatmeal stout should be.

Bitter in the best way! If you're a stout and porter lover, I really hope you were able to get your hands on this brew. Straight up, can't say I've ever had a better oatmeal stout. I knew I loved it from the moment I tasted it in 2008 and feel proud of myself for the patience it took to cellar one for this long. Worth every month it took. Sad the journey is over. Happy I live in Southern California and there's always the hope of Stone holding a special event where they might break out some archived bottles or aged kegs.

Cheers! (1,552 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

I let this one sit out of the fridge for about 30 minutes. I was going to read the lengthy story on the back.. but by the time I got to it, I was a bit to distracted.

A- Black and think coming out of the bottle, I lick my lips in anticipation as I see the caramel brown head form.

I was going to drink this out of my Chimay chalice, but opted for my Duvel tulip.

S- Smell was great, I picked up on cocoa and I could smell the roasted malt goodness.

T- the taste didn't fail to deliver. It was everything I was hopping it would be. Nothing overpowered in this, complex, rich, yet very smooth. It wasn't too bitter, the chocolate was in perfect check, and the oat was right in line.

M - Thick and savory. The oat was very appreciated in this, gave it a creamy mouth feel

D- This was over 9% abv? Wow, never would have guessed. This beer could make me happy as a sipper, or as a more aggressively consumed drink.

This wasn't a crazy hopped up, out of whack beer. And I love it for that. If the hop shortage leads to more of these, then I would be happy.
I picked up 6 and I am looking to make the 100 mile round trip to find more.

I enjoyed some aged cheddar with this. Went very well. The wife hated the smell of this and kept complaining that she could smell it across the room. (1,288 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -3.4%

Drank this 22oz bomber at Gaslight brewery and restaurant. Since it's 9.2% ABV and the fact that I was in the mood for a good stout I drank the whole bottle on my own (was the only beer I drank that night). I enjoyed this brews drinkability, bitter chocolate, coffee flavors, and roasted malts. However, I couldn't really taste much oatmeal. In the end I settled with thinking that the oatmeal was hidden by the alcohol and revealed by adding creaminess and some sweetness. (473 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +16%

Another fine effort from Stone. I've tried a bunch of "chocolate stouts" from various brewers. This is probably my favorite one. As the name says, it is "bitter," apparently made from bitter chocolate. I usually dislike the added sweetness in other chocolate stouts, but this one is not sweet and has a complex bitterness. There is a pretty pronounced alcohol taste. The color is pitch black with a very dark brown head....looks like a good imperial stout.

Excellent beer, definitely worth a try. (497 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

On tap 2-14-11 at the Brew Kettle.

The pour yields a thick brownish-black head that sticks around. The nose is strong with chocolate, coffee, and roasty goodness. The flavors are sweet roasted malts, dark chocolate, and raisins. The finish is a tad bitter, but not unpleasantly so. Velvety smooth on the tongue. The moderate boozyness keeps me from chugging it. Nummy. (369 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

1/10/2010: - 4.75
---
22oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Bottle cellar aged for 15 months.

Been a while since I cracked one of these open.

Appearance: - 5.0
A little bit more head than last time, but still really lightly carbonated for its style. Lacing is even better than before -- sticking very well to the glass.

Smell: - 4.0
Significantly sweeter than before, flavors don't seem to jump out as much, but are much more blended. Nowhere as roasty as I remember. Dark / Bittersweet Chocolate dominates the nose now, with lightly roasted malts and nutty coffee flavors. Oddly, the oatmeal is completely missing now. Not as complex as before.

Taste: - 5.0
This beer has changed significantly -- with the bitter chocolate flavors dominating this beer. The oatmeal is very distinctively present in the finish (and the texture). The alcohol is readily apparent in the finish also. Still extremely complex -- with the nutty and malty flavors coming out to complement the bitter chocolate. The toffee notes have disappeared, and the coffee flavors are very muted, only coming out near the end. Still very tasty, but significantly different. I love how it has developed, although for some people, it might be a little more of an "acquired" taste than before.

Mouthfeel: - 4.5
Still sticks to your mouth like I remembered. Almost mimics the grainyness texture of oatmeal. That bitter chocolate taste definitely lingers afterwards (and the bitter chocolate has gotten more bitter). The feel definitely has gotten stronger, but it is still very excellent -- chewy and tasty.

Drinkability: - 4.0
The ABV before was very hidden -- now it is very apparent. I can feel this beer after just half a pint, and the alcohol is very apparent. Nowhere as drinkable, and it feels like it's gotten much thicker. Despite that, it still doesn't seem like a sipping beer.

6/7/2009: - 4.65
---
22oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Bottle cellar aged for 9 months. I've had this beer on draft as well as bottle several times, and it has been one of my favorites of stone's anniversary ales.

Appearance: - 4.5
Pours pitch black with a minimal, coffee colored head. The head is extremely brown. Head dissipates very quickly. Head laces the glass pretty nicely, with a fine foam.

Smell: - 5.0
Aroma has very heavily roasted flavors, with malts, oatmeal, and coffee all coming out. There are significant bittersweet chocolate flavors. The nose also has a slight nutty hint to it. Overall very nicely done, and very different from most stouts.

As the beer warms a bit, the burnt flavors start coming out a little bit more, and overpower some of the more subtle flavors.

Taste: - 4.5
The roasted malt and oatmeal flavors dominate this beer, with a strong tone of bitter chocolate and coffee. There is a good amount of hoppiness and bitterness. There is definitely a earthyness that comes out of the flavor. Finishes with a very tasty bitter and smoky flavor. Molasses and toffee notes comes out near the end. Very complex, and very tasty.

From the initial tasting as well as well as 3 months ago, this beer has definitely sweetened up a good amount. However, it is not overly sweet, and has a good balance. Some of the previous, bolder flavors have been muted a bit. The complexity is still there, but seems a little better blended, and a little more subtle. Still wish there was more bitter chocolate in the taste, although that flavor seems to have come out a little bit more with the age.

Mouthfeel: - 4.5
Thick, heavy, with a very distinct coffee like feel. Sticks to your mouth afterwards. Minimal carbonation, but just enough to remind you that it's a beer. Full bodied and very chewy.

Drinkability: - 5.0
ABV is very well hidden. Very drinkable for this type of beer. Tasty, and well worth it. (3,785 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

July 08' Poured from 22oz bomber to snifter

A - Black as the depths, dark tan almost brown 1/2" head, "falling" lace, mild amount of sediment towards the end
S - Dark chocolate, vanilla/molasses, light hints of bourbon and alcohol
T - Similar to the nose with the chocolate, vanilla/molasses, hint of bourbon, heavy cream, oats for sure giving it a mellow sweet flavor. Finishes with the bitterness of chocolate covered espresso beans
M - Medium, sticky body
D - Takes a minute to finish and should not be drunk too fast. One might miss some of the flavor if drinking too cold too fast

Notes: A great brew from Stone...will definitely develop for a few more years (665 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

a: pours black with medium dark brown head that quickly fades

s: chocolate, coffee, slightly earthy

t: cocoa, malt with bitter hints of coffee

m: thick but medium carbonation, doesn't linger too long

d: perfect balance of bitter/sweet, no burn despite 9% abv, though i didn't review it, this is much smoother than one when it first was released. it's just about the perfect stout. (384 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

22 oz. Bomber

This beer comes out black as oil with a low tan head that has little retention. The aroma is very pleasant with chocolate, hops, and cream. At first sip you realize this is a Stone creation as they still love their hops for sure. The taste is full of chocolate and whipped cream. A creamy mouthfeel makes this surprisingly smooth and easy to drink. The only thing that keep you from drinking a lot is the residual bitterness imparted by the cocoa. Overall, a very tasty beer. Another great one from an outstanding brewery. (537 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +3.9%

This is my first stout from Stone, I was curious and excited to see what it had to offer.

A- Oil slick black with a 1 inch mocha head that faded to leave a smooth glaze on the surface of the beer. This beer gives a very attractive pour, looks like pure black syrup cascading into the glass, you could write your name in the head as you poured if you really wanted to.

S- Out of the fridge you don't get the full effect, you HAVE to let this stout warm a bit. When it is at cellar temp you get dark chocolate, espresso, dried fruit, and alcohol.

T- As the name implies you get lots of bitter chocolate. You get the alcohol up front but it fades into a smooth bitter chocolate finish. You get small hints of dried figs and coffee all the way through, but the dark chocolate shines. This beer is beautifully bitter all the way through. With a few years in a cellar I think the alcohol would calm a little bit and the flavors would be be even more complex. I can't wait!!

M- Thick, Creamy, Smooth...what more could you ask for?

D- Pretty good drinkability. The alcohol can be a little harsh up front at times, but that doesn't affect the overall appeal. A pairing of a sharp creamy blue cheese, or goats cheese would be great.

Overall I really liked this beer. This would be a perfect beer after dinner on a cool fall night. i Will cellar a few bottles and might drink another fresh. Give this one a try. (1,406 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -32.2%

LOOK. Black opal with a reddish tinged lacing. Head dissipates quickly into a red-tinged ring of lace.

AROMA. Damp wood chips. Dark chocolate and just a bit of alcohol.

BODY & TASE. Roasted coffee bitterness mixed with notes of bitter chocolate and tobacco jump out immediately. A slight woodiness is also noticeable upfront. Booze dominates the mid-palate while leading into an burnt-tasting finish--more like used coffee grounds than coffee. Full-bodied and quite dry.

AFTERMATH. I drank this one at about one-year old. Smooth and luscious, but too much booze and little else to balance it out. (599 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +11.8%

This was poured from a bomber that had been aged for 2 years.
The pour was black as night with a rich tan head. The smell of delicious roasted malt, chocolate, and some oaty notes. Then came the best part....taste. It had a chewy mouthfeel that was followed by mellowed out chocolate flavors, mixed with some hearty roasted notes and finished clean. I wish I could try this beer again. (385 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

Pours a deep, dark black, with a small, quickly dissipating medium brown head. No light shing through this one. It's as dark as it gets.

Rich, roasty smell, with a bit of dark, dried fruit aroma.

Heavy, thick mouthfeel, with a slight, but not unwelcome, tinge of alcohol at the end.

Drier than originally expected, and very pleasantly bitter. Chocolate is hard to find, but it hits right when it enters your mouth, with a dark, roasty finish. Surprisingly little aftertaste.

Highly drinkable, despite the full bodied feel. The bitterness helps keep you coming back for more.

Overall, excellent. Very interesting, and not too scary of a deviation from a basic stout. As mentioned earlier, very pleasantly bitter; combine that with the dryness of the beer and you get something almost addicting. Not enough aftertaste to keep you content for more than a minute, which can be good or bad, depending on how much you drink. Obviously not a great hot-weather beer, but great for anything 70 degrees and cooler. I could drink this and find the courage to go rake the leaves on a cool autumn day, or, just drink a second one and forget about the leaves. (1,194 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

A - black, thin brown head with good retention.

S - bitter chocolate, roasty, toasty, a bit nutty

T - much the same as the nose, cocoa powder, hints of oat nuttiness, alcohol on the finish.

M - nice mouthfeel. heavy and full bodied. Also creamy and smooth

D - this beer was surprisingly easy to drink. Great job by Stone, i wish i had another bottle. (354 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

On tap at Cato's poured into a 10 oz. glass.

The beer pours a solid black color with a small head due to the small size of the glass.
The taste is strong and sweet. There are hints of chocolate taste. The alcohol level is also apparaent. Small sips are what to take as it provides almost a dessert feel to the end of the meal. (329 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

Can't believe I waited so long to try this one. I've had a half dozen bottles sitting in my cellar for going on a year now, and just opened the first one last night. Wow!!! This is an incredible stout.

Can definitely taste the maltiness coming through on this one, with the bitter chocolate as the follow-on taste.

Pours nice and black, very little carbonation, which actually helped the mouthfeel on this one. Very little lacing on the glass, no head, great smell.

I'm going to have to track down every place that still has this sitting on their shelves...

Big fan of this one. I know Stone has one of the best RIS' on the planet, but this would make a great permanent addition to their line. (699 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +10.1%

I picked up a few of these at my local liquor store... not bad if you ask me! I poured a 22oz bomber into a 16oz pint glass, and gave the remainder to my brother to try.

A: The beer pours pitch black with the most delicious looking chocolate colored head. One look at this beer and you know it has hardy written all over it.

S: A few aromas permeate from this brew such as coffee and dark chocolate, a closer sniff will reveal some hops well. As you drink the beer, a slight alcohol smell develops as the beer warms, but eventually goes away.

T: When poured, the beer starts off with an awesome combination of flavors, to me it is like the oatmeal stout creates the base and is layered with the chocolate flavors of a porter. The use of real dark chocolate really brings out a different type of bitterness for those used to hop bitterness. In my opinion, this is a huge plus because it really gives the beer a nice balanced taste without swinging into extremes. The only fault is as I reached the middle of my beer, the taste of alcohol became a little more noticeable.

M: the only word to describe this is hardy. A nice thickness enhanced by a perfect carbonation gives this stout a great feel.

D. This was hard to score because stouts in general can never really have the drinkability of a lighter bodied beer. It is not wise to pound this beer after beer, it should be enjoyed slowly. However, as stouts go, this is pretty easy to drink. As before it loses a point do to its odd alcohol taste in the middle (considering it is hidden very well at the beginning and the end). Thankfully, it finished very clean with a sweet chocolate taste and a hint of coffee.

Stone did a great job with this one, only a few flaws. (1,728 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance:
Very dark black in color. Poured with about 1/4" dark brown/burgundy head that dissipates quickly.

Smell:
Mix of roasted and chocolate malt with a hint of sweetness.

Taste:
Quite a mix/burst of varying flavors from beginning to end. Feels a bit tingly at first then a strong taste of the bittering hops and chocolate malt ended by a hint of roasted malt. Balance is toward the hops and the unsweetened chocolate.

Mouthfeel:
Feels light/medium in body with semi-high carbonation but is incredibly smooth.

Drinkability:
This beer is fairly easy to consume and the robust flavors that come out between the chocolate/hops/malts is quite stunning at first. I would drink another. (718 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +6.1%

I've tried two of these now. Both in 22 oz bottle. 1 cold and 1 after it sat out for an hour.

I prefer this beer after sitting out versus straight out of the fridge. The flavor seems to come out more and also I find it a lot better to drink as if it's a dessert. Because it's so rich I don't think more then 1 in a sitting is doable.

I've stashed a 3rd bottle away to save for a future date. (394 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I let this warm-up a bit from the fridge hoping to tame some of the heavy alcohol presence others have commented about.

Pours jet-black with a sparse chocolate head that disappears quickly. The nose is excellent with a nice toasty, maybe a little sweet, chocolate aroma.

Taste starts off with a bit of carbonation zing that quickly turns to a strong malty alcohol followed by the bitter chocolate. It's a lot happening in a single sip. Mouthfeel starts aggressive then quickly smooths-out nicely. The bitterness is really held in check to the end of the sip.

Drinkability is very good and gets better as the beer warms. Be careful. The ABV will sneak-up on you. (664 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -7.1%

Tasted 1/6/09, big wine glass.

Pours black as pitch, with a cordovan head that BA jnobler points out, "is darker than most beers." Holding it to the light almost causes an eclipse in the living room.

Chocolate and some not-too-sweet dark fruit smells stand out. Smells vaguely Belgian, but not as sweet. Some leather also stands out - like a baseball mitt just taken out for the spring.

Tastes surprisingly sweet at first with some alcohol. A late dryness creeps in with some bitter dark chocolate and cherry flavors. There's a bit of licorice taste with a bit of grape-y brandy like taste, somewhat reminiscent of SA Triple Bock.

Oatmeal lends some smoothness to the beer's mouthfeel.

Very nice... I'm interested to try one in a year or so. (748 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +7.4%

poured into an oversized wine glass....

A: poured like liquid molases into my glass. A blacker than black opaque body supports a small yellowish-tan head with mild retention,(a sign that this might not be too carbonated)

S:a good swirl agitates the beer and releases a coffee dark caramel and chocolate nose. pretty true to its style.

T: Wow! the alcohol is truly evident in this drink. a black licorice like flavor sits on top of the tounge, while and the bitterness of the chocolate plays at the tip.(no pun intended). definitely "imperial" worthy. mild lacing. after the bitterness has gone, your left with a nice sweet after-taste from the oatmeal.

M: full bodied; a very silky feel(just as the pour). Very light carbonation. Sometimes can be a bit overwheming with the whole mouth taste of ethanol.

D: the strong ethanol alcohol may not give it much drikability in comparison with other imperial stouts, but this beer definitely lives up to its name and style...Beautiful! (983 characters)

Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout from Stone Brewing Co.