1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal StoutStone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: ThreeWiseMen on 07-02-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 626-650 | 651-675 | 676-700  | next › last »
Ratings: 836 | Reviews: 698 | Show All Ratings:
mcfisty

4.45/5  rDev +8%

Appearance= Nicely done screen print label with the "anniversary" gargoyle giving you "what of it?"
Pours blacker than batman, with the tight foaming action of a two inch creamy tan head.

Aroma= Instantly pours out breakfasty oatmeal aromas followed by rich dark chocolate and freshly cracked grain. Small alcohol notes with maybe some grassy hop notes lagging behind.

Taste= Mouthfull of semi-sweet chocolate. I really like how the malt still shines through all the chocolate and oatmeal flavors. Small alcohol notes in the end of the flavor as well.

Mouthfeel= This is what really does it for this beer. It is probably the best sensation my tongue has ever gotten from a beer. Like smooth sheets of velvet rolling over your tongue as it sloshes around the mouth. With the dryness and alcohol coming right in to clean up.

Drinkability= For what it is, I believe it to be very high. The booze never overpowers the rich creaminess of this beer. I was longing for another one as soon as I was done with the 22oz. Which with a stout of 9.2% could lead somewhere really good or bad.

08-14-2008 01:26:16 | More by mcfisty
neurobot01

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a July 2008-dated bottle into a large snifter. Served at cellar temp. Cap came off with a nice pop—thank goodness! Even pouring carefully, a few chunks plop into the glass.

Appearance: Very very dark. No light passes through, even held directly up to the light. Very minimal head, but what there is sticks around.

Smell: Some grape notes, chocolate, molasses, port, lots of wood, a little vinegary tartness. More like a RIS than an American Stout.

Taste: Honestly, pretty anxious about drinking this—it's almost 6 years old, and I have no idea how it's been treated during that time. But, the first sip doesn't kill me, and doesn't contain any off notes! Lots of roasty chocolate, with a fair amount of fruity sweetness—maybe brandied figs or something. I'd believe this had been aged in red wine or port bottles. There's also a strong component of smoke. The aftertaste is really phenomenal. I don't know if the taste is actually perfect, but it's really delicious, and seems unique.

Feel: It's a 6-year-old oatmeal stout, and feels like it: smoooth. And still a bit prickly!

Overall: This review feels a bit like a pointless exercise, as I doubt there are more than a few dozen bottles of this left out there, but if you have one, drink it now—I can't imagine it'll get better with more age. And if you see one, buy it!

03-29-2014 23:39:48 | More by neurobot01
Dogfishipas

Washington

4.33/5  rDev +5.1%

I've tried two of these now. Both in 22 oz bottle. 1 cold and 1 after it sat out for an hour.

I prefer this beer after sitting out versus straight out of the fridge. The flavor seems to come out more and also I find it a lot better to drink as if it's a dessert. Because it's so rich I don't think more then 1 in a sitting is doable.

I've stashed a 3rd bottle away to save for a future date.

08-01-2008 04:54:16 | More by Dogfishipas
themedievalist

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

I picked this up for dessert and split a bomber.

A-The color is very deep, almost black. There's a slight creamy brown head which quickly disappears, leaving very little lacing in its wake.

S-Let me start by saying - I REALLY like chocolate. And this had an amazing bittersweet chocolate smell. So much chocolate. So good.

T-At first I tasted mostly the bitter chocolate, but a few sips in I started to also get a sense of the smooth oatmeal flavor. Seriously: this is a delicious beer.

M-Very thick, with very little carbonation.

D-This was awesome. I would have this for dessert every night. It's like a really dark chocolate bar, but its a beer. I mean, what could be better?

02-16-2010 02:44:44 | More by themedievalist
r3zim

3.63/5  rDev -11.9%

Pores black with 1/2 inch of dark tan head.

Smells faintly of chocolate and malt.

Medium body with foam-like texture. Very interesting.

Taste of strong roasted flavors and coffee-like bitterness. Bitterness lingers into the aftertaste. Bitterness reminds me of baking chocolate.

Smooth to drink but bitterness stays a bit too long. The heaviness also detracts from it's drinkability. This ale has some interesting characteristics but there are many imperial stouts that I'd pick far before it.

11-02-2008 22:09:28 | More by r3zim
skee1080

District of Columbia

4.38/5  rDev +6.3%

A-dark oily brown to almost black; zero head retention (probably affected by the use of oats)
S-roasted malt character; coffee; dark chocolate; no hop aroma
T-they say bitter chocolate and you can definitely taste it! definite coffee and chocolate flavors, with emphasis on the bitter roastiness rather than the sweetness; little to no hop flavor, though hop bitterness is detectable
M-the oats provide a delectable body to this beer; the liquid feels thick and hearty in your mouth; mild carbonation
D-this was a very drinkable beer--i had a split a bomber with my brother while on vacation in vermont, and i was a little irate after i tasted it that i had to share half of it with him (i clearly took the bigger half--he's more of a wine guy). it was great winter beer to warm us up as we're expecting the temps to drop to 5 F tonight!

12-26-2008 00:46:48 | More by skee1080
therealnod

Arizona

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

It took me one and a half glasses to get a real grip on this brew.

Poured into a Guinness tulip (my favorite glass).
A: Black with no light penetrating. Pretty standard. I'm sure if you backlit it with a floodlight you would see dark red, but I don't have a floodlight handy. Stiff brownish head that laces the hell outta the glass.

S: Lots of alcohol in the nose. I don't shy away from alcohol, but this has me a little worried. Also picking up the oatmeal, chocolate, and roasted malts. If the alcohol wasn't so present, the malts would smell delightfully dreamy.

T: This is where the confusion for me lies. The alcohol from the nose doesn't show up at all, and what does show up takes a while for me to put a finger on. I get a little bit of everything with every gulp. The bitter chocolate eventually lends a mild sweetness while the oatmeal only adds a very subtle effect. There's a lot of deep, dark flavor going on here...you have to pay attention to this one.

M & D: Mouthfeel was pretty standard; nothing to complain about, certainly. Surprisingly, the drinkability is a little off. The alcohol you get on the nose, but not on the taste, really hits you in the end. Quite a twist.

Notes: Wasn't so sure of this one halfway through, but in the end, it turned out quite well. After getting acclimated to the brew it shows what it's all about and becomes quite enjoyable. I'm perfectly happy to have tried it.

01-03-2009 20:28:22 | More by therealnod
ImBOBtheBEERguy

4.3/5  rDev +4.4%

On draft at Canal Street Pub Reading, PA

Its nice to let this one warm up! Great malt and dessert flavors with a hearty balance and relaxing feeling finish. Mmmnnn

Enjoyed it with fresh fruit, peanut butter cups and brownies. A grand dessert!

Cheers!

BBG

05-30-2009 22:45:34 | More by ImBOBtheBEERguy
dwalters

4.43/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours Black! Aroma is slight coffee, not much chocolate slight hop aroma, smokey. The head is light brown and creamy, mostly diminishing with a little lacing. The initial flavor is bitter chocolate lasting on the back of the tongue, a little alcohol burn in the stomach. The body is medium, the texture creamy. I loved the 11th anniversary and this is right up there, I have a few in the cellar but I'll be getting more of these to drink now.

08-24-2008 16:10:55 | More by dwalters
WindUpBird

4.18/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours a dark dark brown with a dark tan head. Smells of chocolate and roasted malt.

This bottle is about 8 months old, and has aged nicely--the bitterness has lost its edge and the resulting smoothness reveals a complex and well-balanced stout.

This stout feels full and creamy--for me this may be the strongest feature of this brew.

The 9.2% ABV and the fullness of this stout make it a one-bottle per session brew for me.

Overall, this is a very nice stout, and I'll come back to it again.

04-11-2009 00:13:55 | More by WindUpBird
FliryVorru

Alabama

4.45/5  rDev +8%

NOTE: This bottle was purchased in January 2009 and cellared until June 2010

Appearance - The beer pours jet black. Even during the pour there's very little light able to penetrate it. Very little carbonation and barely any head develops.

Smell - The smell is not smooth, but occasionally leaves me wanting more. Chocolate dominates the nose with hints of coffee, vanilla, and hazelnut.

Taste - Dark chocolate and espresso are ever present, but allow for a touch of clove and chai to emerge every once in a while

Mouthfeel - The beer has very low carbonation but the level it has is very appropriate and proportional. It almost seems to warm slower than other beers since the taste changes very little as the temperature rises.

Drinkability - I wish I hadn't cellared the 2nd bottle I bought for only 9 months! The beer is great when purchased and great after 9 months, but 18 months later it has blossomed into a complex and immensely drinkable beer.

Other comments
I'm so pleased with how this beer cellared. I'd rate this as one of my greatest successes in cellaring and my favorite Stone beer overall. I know some feel it has it's shortcomings in certain areas, but the beer isn't overpowering, drinks very easily, and only gets better with age. Well done Stone!

06-29-2010 18:44:46 | More by FliryVorru
lackingfocus

A: Pours a thick, dark earthy black. Thin head with light lacing.

S: Sweet, malty aroma. The chocolate is definitely noticeable here, and quite enjoyable.

T: Surprisingly light and sweet for an oatmeal stout. Again, the chocolate is definitely noticeable. Really delicious with a mild, pleasant aftertaste.

M: Again, surprisingly light for an oatmeal stout. Very pleasant.

D: As drinkable as any stout. Really not too heavy, and very enjoyable.

06-10-2009 16:18:15 | More by lackingfocus
cxg231

4.97/5  rDev +20.6%

Serving 22oz Bottle

Appearance - dark as pitch! I had it out of the bottle (I was thirsty - sue me!) so I cannot comment on head, but I would not anticipate a lot of head with this beer.

Smell - dark chocolate, roasted malts with a hit of dark roasted coffee and nuts.

Taste - amazing! Dark and heavy at first with the chocolate smacking you in the face. After a few sips the flavor profile mellows and and becomes more complex with notes of oatmeal and roasted coffee. No perceptible alcohol taste for such a big beer.

Mouthfeel - thin for an oatmeal stout, but still has some substance to it.

Drinkablility - exceptional for a big beer. I could really get in trouble with more than one of these around.

07-18-2008 23:58:45 | More by cxg231
eRoc

Kentucky

4.4/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

We just got a keg of this on tap where I work and man it is good. I haven't had many stouts but I think this will turn my taste. Strong alcohol and chocolate smell. Very smooth with a great after warming feel. Hints of cherry with the chocolate and a gritty cocoa aftertaste. Goes great with our beef brisket. :)

12-17-2008 22:46:48 | More by eRoc
sammib528

Iowa

4.53/5  rDev +10%

A=Deep mahogany with a thin cola brown head. Fades fast.

S=Roasted Coffee, Alcohol, Chocolate

T/M=Surprisingly dry with a thin body and lingering finish. Flavors of bitter chocolate and port wine. A pleasant, balanced character.

O=I will definitely have this again.

04-23-2011 12:26:31 | More by sammib528
rolandolopez2

Indiana

4.18/5  rDev +1.5%

Picked this bottle up from my fav package store in town.

Once I opened the bottle I noticed the nice roasted malt and subtle chocolate smell. I shared this bottle with a friend right outside the store. I couldn't wait to get home. So for this i was forced to pour into a plastic cup. The pour was very heavy, just like motor oil, leaving a nice chocolate head. First impression on taste is. Has a very smooth and velvety feeling as in enters my mouth. The taste is big on the roasted malts, with a tiny bit of chocolate. I almost don't notice it all. Very delicious. There is a slight alcohol taste that lingers afterward. Overall this beer really good, a great stout indeed. Even though it may be July this one gets me very excited for fall and winter beers. I will look foward to getting my hands on this again!

07-09-2008 15:16:49 | More by rolandolopez2
jbsmth

4.58/5  rDev +11.2%

I've been looking for a chocolate stout for years that's bitter. This one doesn't disappoint, but it could use a little more hoppiness to balance out the malt and the chocolate.

It's not overly sticky-sweet however, like some chocolate stouts I have tried.

Being an oatmeal stout gives it the telltale rocky head and velvety mouthfeel that add to it's character.

If you like stouts, and can get ahold of this one, it's definitely worth a try.

12-01-2008 10:28:05 | More by jbsmth
starvinbarley

4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours a dark deep oily black. Beautiful rich dark head to match. Aroma not quiete yet distinct with dark chocolate and hops. Taste balannced with great bitter chocolate finish right in the center of your tongue. Great beer but not as complex as anticipated.

04-24-2009 00:27:30 | More by starvinbarley
numerik2012

3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

A: Poured from a 22oz bottle into an imperial pint glass, this beer poured an intense dark brown and settled a pitch black with an inch of frothy tan head.

S: Rich chocolate aroma with alcohol, coffee and roasted oats in the background.

T: Tastes of alcohol, chocolate and sweet malts. The chocolate was not masking or too sweet which was nice. Coming from Stone I usually don't expect a saccharine beer anyway.

M: Smooth seas DO make skillful sailors

D: A bit hot for my taste, but not bad. Will mellow with age. I'll be trying this on tap today and will follow up on this overall very nice brew.

07-31-2008 18:38:11 | More by numerik2012
SweetNessa34

4.6/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

[SOURCE]: bottle. cellared in fridge (?) for 5 months. Released 7/08, fridge cellared 1/19/09...drank 5/1/2009.

[SMELL]: has developed significantly more alcohol in nose since original release... starting to detect a hint of the buttery/aged 'mature beer'

[APPEARANCE]: Satisyingly rich, chocolate head...atop a warm obsidian base

[TASTE]: YES!! No one flavor overpowers another; chocolate, oatmeal, hoppy bitterness, alcohol...
...and a deeply SMOKED after taste. (If you wait for it)

[DRINKABILITY]: Yes! I would enjoy drinking this 'well-developed' beer on a regular basis

[OVERALL]: This beer is approaching perfect at the 1 year mark. Will it continue to get better? Or will in reach it's apoethesis between now and summer '09.

05-02-2009 11:22:28 | More by SweetNessa34
pfelon

3.85/5  rDev -6.6%

I had this on tap at Pure Luck this week. I was surprised to see it there.

It looks very dark and, honestly, a bit imposing for someone who may shy away from darker beers. Smell is distinctly alcoholic and gives a resin-y sensation, which nicely sets you up for a beer that isn't saturated by a searing alcholic taste, but rather a roasty, dark chocolate sort of flavor. I found it difficult to drink this at first- the burst of cocoa was a bit overpowering. But as my mouth adjusted, the subtle underlying elements came to surface. I think this is a fine effort by Stone, though their last two Anniversary ales were more my preference.

07-10-2008 17:55:26 | More by pfelon
BeerlyAwake

Oregon

4.43/5  rDev +7.5%

Found this brew at a new sandwich shop in town that features somewhat hard to find microbrews. This is my third Stone experience, and have to say it's made me a huge fan.

Poured deep black, near the same as The Abyss. It was easy to see how thick this stuff will be with the limited carbonation barely making it to the top of this incredibly viscous beer. Being Stone and having "bitter" in the title I expected a lot more bitterness, instead it was very sweet and easy drink. Tasted of dark chocolate with an espresso aftertaste. In the end this brew didn't last long, and I will be heading back to that shop to buy a few more bottles before its too late!

01-18-2009 02:15:26 | More by BeerlyAwake
evilcatfish

Missouri

4.24/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Holy cow, this is delicious. I never had it fresh and it being a few years old I wasn't sure what to expect. Slight head, with a very dark brown color. A nice nose of bakers chocolate with a taste of bitter chocolate, molasses, and coffee roastiness. Wish Stone would bring this back as I want more

06-12-2013 03:18:19 | More by evilcatfish
« first ‹ prev | 626-650 | 651-675 | 676-700  | next › last »
Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout from Stone Brewing Co.