Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal StoutStone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: ThreeWiseMen on 07-02-2008

Color: Pours a pitch black color with a thin brown head with the consistency of cocoa.

Aroma: Creamy with the aromas of cocoa powder, mild coffee and dark fruits. Not too bitter.

Taste: Creamy and bitter upfront with a decent helping of cocoa, dark fruit, decent hop bitterness and very mild roastiness. Smooth.

Mouthfeel: Silky and creamy due to the oatmeal. The perfect amount of roastiness. Very nice cocoa flavor lingers.

Drinkability: Highly drinkable and feels more like a regular stout than an imperial stout due to the ABV. With some aging, the cocoa will show through once the bitterness subsides. Try to get at least two bottles if you pick this up. I can't wait to see how well it mellows over time. A very worthy purchase.

22 oz. bomber poured into a Duvel Tulip style glass. Liquid comes out extremely dark brown with deep amber to brown highlights on the side. Head is a bit smaller than one finger thick, lots of different sized bubbles, slight glass retention from the head. The color of the head is sort of a mahogany/black cherry color to dark brown. The liquid itself provides some glass retention.

Smell is a huge malt bomb. Provides a dark, bitter chocolate smell, but not completely bitter. Some milk chocolate as well, even smells creamy, if that makes sense. Sort of a decadent chocolate sauce. Some dark coffee to espresso aromas as well, but sort of a back lash of it. The blend of all the aromas is absolutely great.

Taste is just as good, as perfect as it gets. Like the bottle says, plenty of dark bitter chocolate. Super dark fudge and some dark grains somewhere in the mix. There is some sweetness as well, sort of like espresso with hints of sugar. Milk chocolate as well. I can't quite figure it out, but there's almost a bourbon flavor and I don't think this is barrel aged.

Mouthfeel is perfect. Strong, full bodied. Great carbonation level, that's held up great since the aging. Smooth, creamy, thick to almost chewy mouthfeel, it's great. Hop presence detected in the mouthfeel. Great drinkability too, nice sipper, but way to easy to drink if you don't want to. On top of that, the value is perfect. I think this was like $7 when it was out as a seasonal. So bummed this beer is retired. I could drink it year round. Just a perfect beer to have around. I miss you Stone 12th! Huge props to everyone who traded with me for this beer over the last 3 years!

Appearance: It's dark, black and down right evil and sinister looking. Complete with a beige mocha color creamy frothy head. Oh yeah it's beautiful and I love it.

Aromas: Massive aroma from the roasted malts which was incredibly dark and deep like the Marianas Trench. Big hop aroma big chocolate big everything that a beast like this could have.

Taste: The bitterness from the hops of this evil soul from this beer to say massive is an understatement. Big and I do mean big chocolate notes and huge coffee notes make this an Emperor.
It will only hurt you upon first taste then in comes the nuke along with a mouhtfeel smoother than silk.

Notes: Warning if you have a heart condition stay a long way from this evil beast maybe in another solar system. But to many stout lovers it's heaven. I abosolutely adore this artwork and or masterpiece. To quote one of the host's of the tv show Top Gear Jeremy Clarkson describing the Ferrari Enzo. "It's the division bell between the ordinary and the absolutely astonishing." Cheers to all.

4.97/5  rDev +20.9%

Serving 22oz Bottle

Appearance - dark as pitch! I had it out of the bottle (I was thirsty - sue me!) so I cannot comment on head, but I would not anticipate a lot of head with this beer.

Smell - dark chocolate, roasted malts with a hit of dark roasted coffee and nuts.

Taste - amazing! Dark and heavy at first with the chocolate smacking you in the face. After a few sips the flavor profile mellows and and becomes more complex with notes of oatmeal and roasted coffee. No perceptible alcohol taste for such a big beer.

Mouthfeel - thin for an oatmeal stout, but still has some substance to it.

Drinkablility - exceptional for a big beer. I could really get in trouble with more than one of these around.

4.92/5  rDev +19.7%

This has been aging for about a year.

Pours a deep dark, very little head brew. Thick lacing present for the little carb there. Did I mnetion it was dark.

Sugar sweet malt. Quite strange, like unmalted light malt. Very nice as long as it doesnt taste like unfermented beer! ;). All kidding aside, very orignal smell, I like the direction.

Wow, what a representation of chocolate. I have nothing to compare it to. Not sure I would call it bitter sweet, but if that was the ingredient, I need to buy stock for my homebrewing process. I dont taste dark malt, but there is roasted med malt. Not sure where the color comes from, no biscuit or bitter present.

Sits extremely well considering the ABV. Typically this ABV and sweet will be headache-ville, population 1. The sweetness, come before the malt, and ends with the chocolate. Awesome.

I want more. I only have 1 more from last season. I obviously need to get some more. There isnt 1 thing I can really find wrong with this brew.

4.88/5  rDev +18.7%

4.87/5  rDev +18.5%

Pours extremely dark with a very minimal, yet thick brown head.

Smells very sweet, definite chocolate notes with a hint of caramel and brown sugar.

Tastes amazing. It has a great sweet foretaste of chocolate, with a slight bitter and roasted aftertaste. The chocolate is not overwhelming, like Young's Double Chocolate can be.

Mouthfeel - It feels like a full bodied oatmeal stout - comparable to Sam Smith's Oatmeal or Southern Tier's "Oat" - both A/A+ beers, in my opinion. (Again, the chocolate is not overwhelming at all)

Drinkability - I'm impartial to oatmeal stouts and chocolate stouts, so for me, this is heaven. You'll probably get full pretty quick, however.

Overall, I like this beer a lot - I'm going to look into putting it on tap at home later this winter. Maybe a holiday present to myself.

4.8/5  rDev +16.8%

Poured from a growler that I got at the end of winter storm into a pint glass

A: Dark, Black viscous pour. A small tan head from the cocoa powder. Little lacing but not much.

S: Chocolate, coffee, molasses, toffee...

T: Suprisingly good. The cocoa powder doesn't dominate the flavor and rather complements the oatmeal stout. The malt flavors dominate. Over all a well balance oatmeal stout. It aged well.

M: Silky. Almost like milk chocolate but closer to Guinness.

D: As much as I could drink this all day I know some can't. It takes me a while to go through but that enhances the experience.

4.8/5  rDev +16.8%

Another incredible beer by Stone. Love the chocolate aroma and taste. I consider this on par with Stone's Imperial Russian Stout. Pours the same black consistency. Mouthfeel is thick and creamy and amazing. Very sweet beer. 9 ABV is a welcome component for me as it packs quite the punch.

4.8/5  rDev +16.8%

Poured from a bomber into a snifter. Cellared since near the release date (first I could get my hands on anyway) about 2 ½ years I would think (I forget when the 'anniversaries' come out).

Infinitely black, like the night sky absent moon and stars. Mocha-colored, full-of-flavor-looking head. Mellow/subtle but still great lacing.

Pretty surprised at the alcohol evident in the smell considering it's only 9.2% and the amount of aging on it. Can't find the word I'm looking for exactly to describe the unique part of the nose that's coming from the oatmeal. Rest of the nose is more typical/what you'd expect.

Delicious. I know the name begins with the words bitter chocolate, but the taste begins with unmistakable bitter coffee notes. I find this interesting and unique. Usually we're use to stouts having these notes in the middle or end, so pretty cool. Of course, chocolaty throughout. And not as bitter as the title might have you believe.

Full-bodied. Just like a world-class oatmeal stout should be.

Bitter in the best way! If you're a stout and porter lover, I really hope you were able to get your hands on this brew. Straight up, can't say I've ever had a better oatmeal stout. I knew I loved it from the moment I tasted it in 2008 and feel proud of myself for the patience it took to cellar one for this long. Worth every month it took. Sad the journey is over. Happy I live in Southern California and there's always the hope of Stone holding a special event where they might break out some archived bottles or aged kegs.

4.78/5  rDev +16.3%

A - Crazy dark and thick with little head

S - Chocolate but not overpowering with something sweet in there

T - Definitely chocolate and oat with a slight sweetness to finish, and does not taste like the alc % it brings

M - Thick and creamy in an amazing way

D - Perfect, probably shouldn't have too many, but I could enjoy a few in a row

Probably one of my favorite beers of all time. Perfect balance in a big dark beer, with an amazing chocolate flavor that doesn't kill everything else

4.77/5  rDev +16.1%

Got this bottle as en extra in a trade with iconoklaztor. Thanks a bunch Don!

Poured into a tulip glass. This brew is as black as motor oil, and about as thick. About a half finger of dark brown head is produced on the pour, but it doesn't stay long. Only small spots of lacing appear here and there. The lack of head and lacing are ok though, because this brew doesn't need it to look good. A good swirl leaves a visable brown film on the glass.

The nose is sweet and lightly toasted malts. There is also a semi-sweet chocolate smell, which threw me off because the bottle says "bitter chocolate" not "milk chocolate" but alas, I write what I sense. Maybe the year and a half has done away with the bitterness leaving an evolved sweet character. All I know is that it's good. Slight warming alcohol right in the finish.

The taste is spectacular. Chocolate and roasted malts, molasses and coffee. Creamy smooth, this is some really tasty stuff. Everything I said in the nose hold true here.

Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth, thick and heavy bodied. This stuff coats the inside of your mouth much like it coats the glass.

Drinkability is amazing. I wonder what this was like fresh, but I can only assume that the year and half has made this even better. This is extremly tasty and easy drinking, I'll easily finish the bomber myself.

Overall, a very good offering from Stone. I haven't had a big stout this drinkable in a long time. So much flavor and complexity, all jam packed into a small bottle. It's a shame this was a one time thing, as I would definitely buy more of this if I could. Thanks Don for the chance!

4.76/5  rDev +15.8%

I never thought that I would ever get my hands on this beer!

pours black with a dark chocolate head. the aroma is very dry and chocolatey. the taste is dark roasted malts, chocolate, subtle oatmeal. very full bodied! to describe this beer you could sum it up with one word...BIG!

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

22oz. bottle poured into a snifter. July 2008 release.

(A)- Pours incredibly thick and black as the darkest night. Produced a sienna, almost dark brown head that reduced down to bubbles.

(S)- Mountains of nutty roastedness with vanilla. Lots of brown sugar in this guy. Hints of creamy oatmeal & dark cocoa. Breakfast, yet dessert smells galore. Very much like burnt french toast(with cinnamon) with melted dark chocolate & sprinkled brown sugar on top with a cup of coffee on the side!

(T)- Velvet-like roasted malts of molasses, cocoa, coffee, & toast. Definitely more subtle yet more profound than the aroma led me to believe. Creamy oatmeal rolls off your tongue into dense roasted coffee with molasses & dark, almost bitter cocoa. I still taste it minutes after each sip.

(M)- Smooth as a baby's bottom! Has enough carbonation in it yet. Creamy & so damn smooth that it just rolls of the tongue & down the throat. Has just a tiny bit of heat from the 9.2%abv, but barely noticeable behind the silky malts & light sweetness. If I could give the mouthfeel a higher score I would. One of the smoothest stouts I have ever experienced, but I am sure the age helped in that regard.

(D)- An awesome beer that has obviously aged to near perfection in a glass. It has everything that makes a good stout. Awesome roasted malts with a light sweetness rolled into perhaps the smoothest drinking stout I have ever had. If you have this in your cellar, now is the time to open & enjoy it!

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

Can't believe I waited so long to try this one. I've had a half dozen bottles sitting in my cellar for going on a year now, and just opened the first one last night. Wow!!! This is an incredible stout.

Can definitely taste the maltiness coming through on this one, with the bitter chocolate as the follow-on taste.

Pours nice and black, very little carbonation, which actually helped the mouthfeel on this one. Very little lacing on the glass, no head, great smell.

I'm going to have to track down every place that still has this sitting on their shelves...

Big fan of this one. I know Stone has one of the best RIS' on the planet, but this would make a great permanent addition to their line.

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

a: pours black with medium dark brown head that quickly fades

s: chocolate, coffee, slightly earthy

t: cocoa, malt with bitter hints of coffee

m: thick but medium carbonation, doesn't linger too long

d: perfect balance of bitter/sweet, no burn despite 9% abv, though i didn't review it, this is much smoother than one when it first was released. it's just about the perfect stout.

4.74/5  rDev +15.3%

I picked this up for dessert and split a bomber.

A-The color is very deep, almost black. There's a slight creamy brown head which quickly disappears, leaving very little lacing in its wake.

S-Let me start by saying - I REALLY like chocolate. And this had an amazing bittersweet chocolate smell. So much chocolate. So good.

T-At first I tasted mostly the bitter chocolate, but a few sips in I started to also get a sense of the smooth oatmeal flavor. Seriously: this is a delicious beer.

M-Very thick, with very little carbonation.

D-This was awesome. I would have this for dessert every night. It's like a really dark chocolate bar, but its a beer. I mean, what could be better?

4.74/5  rDev +15.3%

A: This is one of the blackest, thickest beers I've seen. Like pouring oil into a pint glass. Black/dark espresso brown with a thin mocha brown head with little retention.

S: Toasty malt smell, with a strong sense of milk chocolate. Hint of oatmeal. A very nice smell.

T: Wow, simply delicious. Smooth, love the chocolate and oatmeal flavors together. Like drinking gorp. There is a slight hop flavor in the finish which is a nice compliment. Not overpowering, just enough to show you it is there. Very similar to Young's Double Chocolate, just with a small kick of hops. Really, really good. After a while, you get a strong alcohol flavor on the tongue.

M: Thick, chewy - just like a stout should be.

D: This is one of the best stouts I've ever had. ABV is 9.2% so it will take care of you for a while. It's smooth and the flavors are amazing together. A little strong on the hops for a stout, but it is a welcome change. Wow, just a great beer.

4.73/5  rDev +15.1%

Enjoyed by me on-tap earlier tonight. Served in a pint glass. Draws a very dark brown, almost black color. The tan head is about 1/3-1/2 inch when served to me. Settles to a nice brown ring lining the inside of the glass along with a very decent surface coating. Has very nice lace. Has roasted sweet malt aromas with hints of coffee and chocolate notes. Tastewise there are sweet, roasted chocolate malt, bitter coffee and some hops, rounded out with a sort of oatmeal taste. Very good balance here, a bit better balanced than out of the bottles. Has a crisp, smooth full bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Extremely drinkable, especially considering the high ABV here. Very good indeed!

4.73/5  rDev +15.1%

A cold rainy day in Minnesota calls for a stout.
A= Pours straight black no light is able to get through this black hole. A nice thick three finger head comes from it that is brown pushing a black color in places with a beautiful lacing left behind and great lacing.
S= chocolaty greatness. Some coffee is there but mostly great chocolate odor. The oatmeal is there but definitely muted.
T= Soo smooth with dark chocolate. The finish almost tastes like I licked glass though... Still really great. The oatmeal I think captures the chocolate and really shows the flavor off. Great taste!
M= Thick and chewy as hell. One of the most chewy beers I have ever had. Fabulous.
D= Amazing. I can't say enough great stuff about this beer. It's really great drinking right now. The chocolate is so smooth and bitter. The mouthfeel is amazing. Really just all around great right now.

4.72/5  rDev +14.8%

Another fine effort from Stone. I've tried a bunch of "chocolate stouts" from various brewers. This is probably my favorite one. As the name says, it is "bitter," apparently made from bitter chocolate. I usually dislike the added sweetness in other chocolate stouts, but this one is not sweet and has a complex bitterness. There is a pretty pronounced alcohol taste. The color is pitch black with a very dark brown head....looks like a good imperial stout.

Excellent beer, definitely worth a try.

4.72/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a July 2008-dated bottle into a large snifter. Served at cellar temp. Cap came off with a nice pop—thank goodness! Even pouring carefully, a few chunks plop into the glass.

Appearance: Very very dark. No light passes through, even held directly up to the light. Very minimal head, but what there is sticks around.

Smell: Some grape notes, chocolate, molasses, port, lots of wood, a little vinegary tartness. More like a RIS than an American Stout.

Taste: Honestly, pretty anxious about drinking this—it's almost 6 years old, and I have no idea how it's been treated during that time. But, the first sip doesn't kill me, and doesn't contain any off notes! Lots of roasty chocolate, with a fair amount of fruity sweetness—maybe brandied figs or something. I'd believe this had been aged in red wine or port bottles. There's also a strong component of smoke. The aftertaste is really phenomenal. I don't know if the taste is actually perfect, but it's really delicious, and seems unique.

Feel: It's a 6-year-old oatmeal stout, and feels like it: smoooth. And still a bit prickly!

Overall: This review feels a bit like a pointless exercise, as I doubt there are more than a few dozen bottles of this left out there, but if you have one, drink it now—I can't imagine it'll get better with more age. And if you see one, buy it!

4.7/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

Pours a deep, dark black, with a small, quickly dissipating medium brown head. No light shing through this one. It's as dark as it gets.

Rich, roasty smell, with a bit of dark, dried fruit aroma.

Heavy, thick mouthfeel, with a slight, but not unwelcome, tinge of alcohol at the end.

Drier than originally expected, and very pleasantly bitter. Chocolate is hard to find, but it hits right when it enters your mouth, with a dark, roasty finish. Surprisingly little aftertaste.

Highly drinkable, despite the full bodied feel. The bitterness helps keep you coming back for more.

Overall, excellent. Very interesting, and not too scary of a deviation from a basic stout. As mentioned earlier, very pleasantly bitter; combine that with the dryness of the beer and you get something almost addicting. Not enough aftertaste to keep you content for more than a minute, which can be good or bad, depending on how much you drink. Obviously not a great hot-weather beer, but great for anything 70 degrees and cooler. I could drink this and find the courage to go rake the leaves on a cool autumn day, or, just drink a second one and forget about the leaves.

4.7/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: 22 oz. bomber bottle, bottling date of July 2008 printed on the bottle, poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours completely opaque and black. Perfect. The head formed small, one finger thick of tan brown bubbles and had decent retention.

Aroma: Appropriately enough, bitter chocolate.

Taste: Chocolate, coffee, and caramel up front. The chocolate takes over in the middle and dominates through the finish, lingering for quite a while.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, very smooth and creamy. The carbonation was subdued and fit nicely.

Overall: Excellent. I'm going to have to buy a few more of these for my cellar.

4.68/5  rDev +13.9%

A: Pours like I like my metal. BLACK! (I'm sorry for that last sentence. So incredibly sorry.) Looks syrupy coming out of the bottle. The head is thick and dark-ish tan but dissipates quickly. Overall, this beer is beautiful. Truly a sight to behold.

S: Sweet chocolate with a little bit of caramel and coffee.

T: I have absolutely no problem whatsoever rating this a 5. This is a nice and complex beer with a good robust roasted dark chocolate flavor coming out in front of everything with a few subtle toffee, caramel, and coffee tones coming out in the back of it. A substantial bit of well-balanced alcohol comes out in the aftertaste.

M: Thick, syrupy, and delicious.

D: A good beer to take your time with. A high alcohol content and a very substantial and complex flavor reward more involved drinking.

Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout from Stone Brewing Co.