Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal StoutStone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: ThreeWiseMen on 07-02-2008

3.71/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured into my imperial pint glass.

This stout pours absolutely jet black with no light penetration. A small dirty brown head sits on top of the beer. This is a gorgeous looking stout. I served just below cellar temp to give this a chance to warm up a bit. The nose is really nice on this offering with plenty of roasted grain, bitter and rich chocolate notes, coffee, and black licorice. Once the beer warmed past cellar temp though plenty of hot alcohol notes quickly came on and overtook everything smelling like fingernail polish. The flavor profile starts out with plenty of bitter chocolate notes, light espresso, dark fruit, oats, and roasted grain. The alcohol I smelled in the nose comes across in flavor profile in the finish. The mouthfeel is velvety smooth from the oat addition with very low carbonation. It isn't nearly as viscous as some other stouts, but I like that actually. I do start feeling the warming alcohol though as I get near the bottom of this bomber. The drinkability is quite nice with how easy to drink this was both in the flavor profile and on the mouthfeel.

Bottom line I think in six months this is a huge winner, but it tasted a bit hot to me. (1,182 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours pitch black with a dark, bubbly head that settles to a thick halo. Moderate lacing.

S: Not much smell with just a light mocha aroma.

T: Lots of bitter, not much flavor. Taste is an earthy bitterness and flavors of chicory and coffee. A bit boozy.

M: Thick and heavy with a super smooth texture. Very light carbonation - just how I like my stouts.

D: Decent, but there just not much going on in the taste or smell for me to love this one. (451 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -8.4%

The big 12 from Stone, couldnt wait to try! First of all, like all Stone bottles, I love this bottle. This one stand out against their others, I dont know why, but for me it stands out and is a work of art...now on to the beer. As I could have told you before even opening the beer, it pours thick and black, a slightly thick tan head forms. Lacing and retention are a little poor I thought. Smell is strong of chocolate, almost a syrup-like chocolate. There is a strong alcohol presence in the smell that I didnt care for. Taste is good, not as complex as I thought though. Strong taste of the bitter chocolate, as expected. A small trace of caramel, some burnt grain, and perhaps some dark fruit. A bit of alochol on the back of the tounge. Low carbonation and a thick mouthfeel.

Something just didnt impress me TOO much about this beer. I dont know if I had higher expectations or if its the fact that its 115F ourt and I'm drinking a thick stout. Overall I did enjoy it, loved the bottle and liked the beer. (1,013 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -8.4%

JohnGalt1 sent me this one a while back in a fantastic trade!

A- Inky black, very viscous on the pour. A finger of mocha colored head rises and disappears down to a thin crown of head. Thin veils of lacing throughout the session.

S- Chocolate and dark, roasted malts. A touch sweet with a slight amount of bitter aroma. Somewhat complex, but it doesn't seem to have that extra dimension like other RIS's have.

T- Relatively sweet and bitter. A good mix between the two, flavor reminds me of chocolate and coffee. No real amount of detectable hops, but the bitterness gives the illusion of hops.

M- Heavy, creamy mouthfeel. Not much carbonation. Pretty much what I expect for this style. Very good.

D- Sweetness gets to me after a while. It also has a detectable amount of booziness to it. Still a good beer though.

Many thanks go out to Toby, a truly epic trader! (869 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours a great thick black opaque color, but with just a small bit of creamy tan head that goes away quickly and almost no lacing. Nice scent, but not as strong as I would've expected; it's dominated by a nice bitter chocolate, but there is not much of a coffee/burnt grain stout aroma and no oatmeal sweetness scent. Nice taste, hints of coffee, but mostly a nice bitter chocolate taste with a good aftertaste with it, but almost no oatmeal tones, just a little sweetness in there to offset the chocolate. It goes down creamy, but there is a definite alcohol feel that detracts from its smoothness. (598 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -8.4%

Looks thick off the pour. Very dark brown foam that settled to a thin cap with some chunky bubbles forming a collar. Spotty lacing clung to the glass. The beer was pretty much black with very thin reddish edges. Big roasty coffee aroma initially, which gave way to notes of dried fruit, dry cocoa, burnt malt, slight licorice and booze. Balanced bitterness with a nice chocolate and roast flavour. Sweet malts filled out the middle. Fruit character appeared towards the end with alcohol rounding out the finish. Full bodied, but not heavy, with fine carbonation and creamy texture. Alcohol warmth. This one's tasty as it is, but it's still a bit young and hot. Some time in the cellar should smooth things out a bit. As it is, drink it a little on the warm side or let it warm up as you're drinking. It takes the edge off the alcohol and makes for a more pleasant drink. (870 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

22 oz. bottle served in a Deschutes snifter. Thanks stxSS07 for the share.

A: Pours a dark black color with a dark mocha head forming on the pour. It recedes quickly to a thin ring that leaves some splotchy lace down the glass.

S: Some oxidation as you would expect, but in a sherry kind of way. No real paper or cardboard notes, but slightly dark and pretty fruity. Dark chocolate bitterness with some dried oats.

T: Much like the nose. Bitter dark chocolate, steel cut oats, light dark fruit with minimal oxidation. The booze is well hidden behind a touch a char.

M: Medium thick bodied with a lower carbonation level. Smooth and creamy finish.

O: This held up very nicely and the slight oxidation gave it a dark fruit character that complimented the bitter dark chocolate nicely. (787 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -8.1%

This beer is a nice Chocolate Oatmeal RIS.
Appearance: The beer poured dark brown-black with a small dark brown head.
Smell: dark chocolate, roasted malt and slight alcohol at the end.
Taste: warm alcohol, roasted malts and finishes like a 70% Cacao chocolate bar.
Mouthfeel: full bodied and silky from the oatmeal.
Drinkability: I would recommend this beer to chocolate lovers and RIS drinkers, Very enjoyable, not a beer I will stock up on but I will cellar at least one for later enjoyment. (497 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

Poured from the bottle a deep solid black with two fingers of rich, creamy tan head.

Aroma of sweet roasted malts, a bit of chocolate, and a freshly baked oatmeal cookie.

Tastes of roasted malts, dark chocolate, a bit of bitter hops, and some booze. Some dark fruits appear in the finish.

Lighter bodied, smooth, and moderately carbonated.

A pretty easy-drinking stout from Stone. (384 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

Stone IRS stem. Purchased somewhere in Nashvegas last year. Really black pour with espresso colored finger of froth. Aroma of bitter chocolate, Kit Kats.

Pretty bitter...dark chocolate meets cocoa nibs. Easy drinking, but all bitter chocolate. Well, bitter hops too, but a big roasty chocolate stout with a mostly chocolate taste.

Drinkability is good and I certainly appreciate Stone's efforts here. (403 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

I remember fartingdog bringing this over but can't remember if it was from him or not. Thanks! Also had a glass at the brewpub a couple days before.

Pours an opaque dark brown, almost black, thin tan head forms, quickly settles to a flimsy ring, some lace spots. Smell is licorice and chocolate, some roast, caramel, oats, biscuit, alcohol, bit of fruitiness, kind of interesting. Taste is quite sweet, licorice, chocolate milk, toffee, some roast, oatmeal, biscuits, very malty beast, dark fruits and cherries, yeast, alcohol, decent balance in the finish, touch of roasty bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation, some warmth going down. Smooth for its strength, just didn't do much for me. Found it a bit too sweet and was expecting more of an intense chocolate rather than so much fruit. (811 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

Serving type- 22 ounce bomber poured into a snifter glass.

A- Pours black in color with enough subtle head to tell that it is tan in color. The head disipates rather quickly. There is no cling to the glass after pour.

S- There are subtle chocolate and alcohol notes in the smell. I am also getting a roasted malt smell as well. Overall nothing to prominent or particularly appealing.

T- There are flavor combinations of roasted malt, chocolate, cocco and an alcohol finish. I am not really getting any tastes of the oatmeal portion but I have been hanging on to tihs for awhile so that might be a reason.

This has been sitting in my cellar for 8-9 months and I finally decided to pull it out and give it a try. I must say I am not overly impressed with this beer, especially since all the other beers that I have had from Stone have been top notch. Probably won't get this again. (883 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

I considered aging this one based upon what I've heard from others, but I couldn't help myself. Also, I've only one bottle.

The beer pours a serious inky black. It looks as if it would permanently stain my skin if I were to touch it. Not much of anything in the way of a head as there's only a thin collar of tan.

Smells of rich dark chocolates, but doesn't have the immense bitterness I had anticipated. There is a presence of brown sugar and a faint scent of plums.

Taste is somewhat muted in comparison to the smell. There's a roasted bitter chocolate. The bitterness balances out any residual sweetness. There's a slightly grainy cocoa, but beyond this there isn't much.

Mouthfeel is creepily smooth, but not as thick and viscous as it looked when pouring. The feel comes off as a bit of paradox in my mind. There's an interesting rich fullness that builds on the palate. Pretty damn drinkable as the alcohol doesn't come off as intrusive even during the later days of August. (984 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

Appearance: Pours a dark motor oil that a bystander described as "disgusting." But us beer wisemen knew to be a defining and awesome quality. Not much head here, but the little head that does permeate is a dark brown. It looks gorgeous.

Smell: Unique smell, downright badass. Chocolate mixed with oatmeal. The chocolate presents itself as a dark smokey bitter smell. The oatmeal mixes and overwhelms the chocolate smell. One wisemen describes it as 'oatbread' or 'oatflour'.

Taste: Peculiar, the mixture of chocolate, oatmeal, and hops doesn't mesh as well as you would think. A definite taste of alcohol, with an ashy finish. Smokey aftertaste that hangs around. A real heavy malt presence. Not the most delicious beer but a challenge for your taste buds. One wiseman gave this a 4; the other a 3. We did a little algebra and came up with a 3.5.

Mouthfeel: Feels thick, but lighter than it looks. The taste lingers around in the mouth. Not dancing on the tastebuds, but stomping a good stomp.

Drinkability: I dunno if I'd sit around drinking these over better beers. Reminds the wisemen of old rasputin with oatmeal. (1,123 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

Aroma included chocolate and roasted malts. Alcohol was rather heavy and solvent-like and detracted from the malt characters. This restrained itself over time but was still unwelcome. Little to no hops were noticed.

Appearance was a deep, dark black color. Opaque. Formed a thin dark tan head which didn't last. Nice legs formed when swirled in the glass.

There was a rich chocolate flavor, dark and bittersweet. Roasted grain character. Bitterness was moderate and lingered on into a dry finish. Hop character very restrained and hard to detect. Coffee and smoky notes also present. This beer might benefit from additional sweetness that simply wasn't there.

Medium-full to full-bodied with a light creamy texture and a moderate level of carbonation. Smooth. Mouthfeel was my favorite part of the beer.

Overall I'm fairly disappointed I picked up 4 bottles of this. Anyone up for a trade : ) The solventy alcohol aroma really hurt my impressions at first. Chocolate character is nice and the oatmeal seemed to lend a little creamy/oily mouthfeel. Some hop character and sweetness would have increased drinkability in my opinion. A bomber was simply too much for my tastes. (1,179 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -7.6%

A - Opaque/black with a beautiful deep copper/espresso colored head that leaves moderate lace.

S - Not too much there... a touch of chocolate and hops.

T/M - Splendid espresso, cocoa powder, green olive, leather, and hops all coming together in a silky, creamy stout that's firing on all cylinders. The alcohol is there but it's very supportive in this sophisticated brew.

D - More than drinkable and would be great with BBQ, cigars, on its own - you name it. Wonderful stuff I intend to buy again and even let a couple of them age. (535 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle (Bottled On July 2008) into a snifter glass.

A vigorous pour yields a 1-finger mocha-colored head that slowly recedes to a thin, clumpy dusting and thick foam ring. The body is a nearly perfect black with no traces of color when held to light. Light lacing is noticed throughout consumption.

Dark bittersweet chocolate and creamy milk chocolate aromas blend nicely with dark, roasted malts. Notes of burnt coffee beans and dark fruits can also be detected.

Smooth and creamy milk chocolate and dark fruit notes begin each sip but are quickly overtaken by dark, bitter chocolate flavors. A dry coffee bean and sweet dark fruit aftertaste finishes each sip.

Medium bodied with great carbonation, this beer has a nearly creamy mouthfeel. The carbonation allows the beer to coat your mouth fully without being too sticky.

While the appearance and nose are great, the flavor and mouthfeel are not as spectacular. The flavor is too sweet in my opinion which detracts from the coffee and chocolate flavors that should be center stage. The mouthfeel, which allows for great drinkability, is too carbonated in my opinion, as it does not allow the darker flavors to develop properly on your tongue. (1,221 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured from a Stone bomber, $6.99 in OH. The beer is black with an unreal head, chocolate milk colored and thick, loads of lacing. The aroma is strong with chocolate, more than any chocolate-style beer I've had to date. The taste, however, is not as good as I'd hoped. While the chocolate flavor is nice, this is way more bitter than I'd expected. A little acrid perhaps. The body is smooth but not as silky smooth as I'd hope for an oatmeal stout. Overall a disappointment for me, I'd hoped for more. Grade A on appearance and smell though... (543 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -7.1%

Served in a chalice. Pours a dark black, with a very dark brown head that cascades lovely down the inside of my chalice. Big 3 finger head that drops quickly to 2 finger head, then takes its time deflating to the level of the beer itself. This has got to be the darkest head I've seen on a beer in some time! I love the looks of this brew.

I detect chocolate and coffee aroma, burnt and roasted grains, and I also notice a little fruit poking through. Alcohol is evident here as well.

First sip reveals chocolate bitterness, with a lot of alcohol coming through. Subsequent drinks reveal raison sweetness, but not ever breaking away from the chocolate. Some coffee drifts in and out of the picture, as well as a timidly noticeable hop bitterness, but overall, bittersweet chocolate is the star here, with all other flavors playing supporting roles. I think a year minimum would do this brew proud. I will be picking up another bottle to cellar it for at least a year.

This is a thin to medium bodied brew, with a medium dry finish. I would have liked a bit more body. Appropriate level of carbonation though, as I like it a bit lower in dark beer.

Overall, a drinkable beer, but ultimately, one that I would (and will) cellar for a year at least. That being said, I wouldn't drink more than 1 of these at a time currently, this being reflected in my scoring for drinkability. I will revisit after cellaring, and edit review at that time, if necessary. Cheers. (1,464 characters)

22 oz. bomber, into a nonic pint

The usual roasty malt flavor and aroma. Chocolate takes a while to present itself. A touch watery for a stout, which I appreciate. Alcohol hides itself well, but is present after about a pint or so.

Surprisingly solid head, with warmth gets much more complex and smooth and creamy.

Not a world beater, but solid and different, worth a try or two. (382 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass.

A - Poured pitch black with foamy tan head and minimal lacing.

S - Very astringent aroma. Malty aroma of dark chocolate with lots of alcohol mixed in. Slight hint of smoke.

T - Bitter and slightly medicinal. Hints of dark chocolate and smoke.

MF&D - I was actually a little let down with this one at first, but after it warmed it got a lot better. The warmth really brought out the flavors. Still, not as good as the RIP, but definitely worth checking out. (505 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -7.1%

Tasted 1/6/09, big wine glass.

Pours black as pitch, with a cordovan head that BA jnobler points out, "is darker than most beers." Holding it to the light almost causes an eclipse in the living room.

Chocolate and some not-too-sweet dark fruit smells stand out. Smells vaguely Belgian, but not as sweet. Some leather also stands out - like a baseball mitt just taken out for the spring.

Tastes surprisingly sweet at first with some alcohol. A late dryness creeps in with some bitter dark chocolate and cherry flavors. There's a bit of licorice taste with a bit of grape-y brandy like taste, somewhat reminiscent of SA Triple Bock.

Oatmeal lends some smoothness to the beer's mouthfeel.

Very nice... I'm interested to try one in a year or so. (748 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -6.9%

For something called bitter chocolate ... i was expecting alot more chocolate bitterness i mean rogues chocolate stout has more upfront chocolate than this.

It pours damn near like Hershey syrup and is pitch black

To be honest i dont really smell alot at all

the taste is good the chocolate isnt nearly as upfront as the rogue but its still there

mouthfeel is good not as smooth or creamy as id expect from a oatmeal stout

drinkability is good despite the abv (465 characters)

On Tap

Stone Brew Co.
Escondido, CA

(Aged 2 years at the brewery)

A menacingly thick and black pour with a thin brown, persistent head. Thick and oily in the glass and leaves plenty of lacing. Looks mean and menacing but beautiful.

Roasted malts, caramel malts, and plenty of dark chocolate in the nose. Unlike most stouts that smell of melted, bittersweet chocolate, this chocolate seems roasted or burnt. It's a bit sharp and not easily accessible nor obviously pleasant, but it contributes to this beer's menacing profile. It's certainly unique.

This beer tastes better than it smells. The dark chocolate works better on the palette than it does in the nose, as it loses some of that burnt and astringent profile. No alcohol presence at all, little hop presence, but mainly just a thick, menacing, chocolatey, big stout...which is never a bad thing!

Creamy, thick, chewy in the mouth, which is appropriate and expected for this style, but not quite as velvety and full as the standard Stone RIS.

I think this beer has aged particularly well. There's no obvious presence of alcohol, the chocolate may have mellowed a bit; an enjoyable sipper I'm glad I got the opportunity to experience at the brewery/bistro. (1,218 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -6.9%

On tap at Shady McGrady's in Harrisburg, PA on 7/25/08.

A - Dark chocolate brown body with more than a finger's width of frothy mocha-colored head that left decent lacing around the glass. This puppy reminded me of a milkshake!

S - Surprisingly muted nose with faint notes of dark chocolate and a bit of coffee. Some roasted malt as well, but overall the aroma is quite subdued.

T - Chocolate and roasted malt up front that quickly seques into more of a bitter coffee aspect with a dash of earthy hops for good measure.

M - Smooth, creamy texture with a bit of oily slickness and a slightly chewy mouthfeel. Finishes moderately bitter on the palate.

D - Not as chocolately as, say, Suthern Tier Choklat, but still highly drinkable for such a big beer (9.2% ABV). Nice bitterness all around with this one. (812 characters)

Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout from Stone Brewing Co.