Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal StoutStone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: ThreeWiseMen on 07-02-2008

3.21/5  rDev -21.9%

Almost made a grave mistake with this bottle. After transporting it entirely across the country for the sole purpose of sharing with my lady, accidentally took this to the disc golfing, having pulled it from my box of homemade cider. Blindly, and in a rage at my double bogey on hole 5, I pulled the bottle from my bag and popped it, neglecting to notice that, for once, a cap and bottle matched breweries. No there was no time. The brown foam showed, I knew my error. Quickly, I sipped once and sealed the bottle back up with the creasing of my knife.
Confident in my seal, I continued upon the course and upon my poor performance. Some days are not for kings.
Upon the return to Brooklyn, the bottle was opened to great fanfare and celebration. Still sporting healthy carbonation due to my advanced reflexes (beyond catlike), this sexy deep purple brown black with its sex head was right on for an imperial stout. Huge, surprisingly huge, alcohol nose blasting off with the bitter chocolate. Really not much else, very little roast or big malt and fuck the oatmeal, where is that?
It's tasty, but the alcohol is amazingly still violent in this beer after a couple years. Really amazing. The chocolate in it is good, but the violence of the alcohol is reminiscent of Huck Finn's father.
Very surprised, since I remembered liking it quite a bit the first time I had it. Still liked it, just would've thought it'd be in a much more contemplative stage of life by now. Or am I just getting older?

3.21/5  rDev -21.9%

This is a beautifully viscous stout as it pours from the bottle and forms a pitch black body with a large mocha head. Sheets of lace adorn the glass as the foam slowly dies down to a wispy film. Certainly a looker, regardless of the style.

An oddly subdued aroma reveals little more than dark roast. I'm really getting my nose in there to try an pick up other flavours, and perhaps there are ghosts of chocolate, fruit and oatmeal but they're very faint. Stone decided not to make this one as highly hopped as their other offerings, and they seem a bit lost without it in this instance.

The taste is undeniably bitter, and while I applaud the brewer's attempt to find a good alternative to hops, I'm not sure chocolate is the answer. The bitterness is astringent, acrid, and occasionally inky, seemingly lacking everything I love about hops. Its too bad, really, because it detracts from an otherwise attractive beer. There's a strong roastiness, verging on burnt, which is tames somewhat by a prominent and rich dark fruitiness. Mild notes of oat add some depth and do wonders for the body, which is full and chewy. There's no getting away from the bitterness, though, and its lingering presence in the aftertaste isn't doing anything for this lover of uber-hopped brews.

Even with 18 months on it, this beer is still too unbalanced for my liking, and while some flavours have obviously rounded out, the bitter nature of the chocolate remains overpowering. Thankfully business reverted to normal with Stone 13th, but I'll have to chalk this one up as a rare Stone miss for me.

3.22/5  rDev -21.7%

This one's (bomber) been in the cellar for at least 6 months.

Pours pretty thick and black as night. A loose 2" head quickly dissipates to a mere 1/4". The still dark khaki head looks very ominous. Not much lacing to speak of.

Smells very similar to a Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout - which is a very good thing. Sweet oat malts and a big blossoming aroma of freshly shaved 70% chocolate (cocoa). A few swirls of my Whitbread Extra Stout stemmed tulip chalice (LOVE this glass) evoke an even deeper yet softer dimension of the chocolaty goodness.

Man, the label tells the truth...'Bitter' is the initial flavor when tied to the generous dark chocolate notes that really engulf the entire pallet at first. There is a strong hit of fusel alcohol right out of the gate as well. I'm trying to get more flavor components out of this beer, but the rigid fusel alcohol is all up in my grill. I'm trying to detect more redeeming qualities from the flavor, aside from the generous and heavy bitter dark chocolate, but I really cannot. I'm getting a little iodine/salty flavor way at the back.

Mouthfeel is great. Fine gentle carbonation is well placed making the soft oatmeal body glide. Just a tad shy of heavy bodied for me.

Drinkability for me is really low, due to the fusel alcohol. Just can't shake this.

Overall a great execution of using chocolate as a main ingredient in a big beer. I sure hope this bottle isn't infected as the carbonation is fine and there were no signs of funk around the cap, etc... It's a shame I don't have someone here to share this bomber as I'm going to move on to something else quickly. The first less-than-great beer I've had from Stone to date. I feel sad this beer didn't keep the excellent Stone streak alive. Glad I tried it though.

3.23/5  rDev -21.4%

That's a lot of words for just one bottle. Pours a black hue with lighter darker brown hues. Mostly hazy when held to the light. Some lighter tan colored head with good retention and lacing.

The nose has a nice malty aroma with some lacto/milky notes. The malt to start has a rich smell with noticeable chocolate and coffee notes. Some milky notes are there but some what subtle. Noticeable solvent and fusel note but not over whelming. A earthiness that isn't all hops on the back end as well.

The taste has more of a malty backing and less of the chocolate and lacto. To start there is some astringency from the malt. There is more of a roast characteristic than chocolate. Some minor coffee notes as well. There are some hints of oats on the back end but very limited overall. Would like more chocolate and milky flavors. There are some yeast notes but nothing over the top. Noticeable fusel notes. Some minor mint and rose esters as well. There is a noticeable hop flavor on the back end which is odd for style.

The body is moderate to full. Some astringency from malt and hops. Would have liked more of a milky/silky feel. Overall a interesting beer. I think it will age nicely but for now, eh.

on tap -> 12 oz goblet

Arrived a dark black with a nice dirty brown head.

Nose: Malty, some cocoa, alcohol

Here's where it went wrong for me. The chocolate flavors were present, and the bitterness was medium and lasting, but i just couldn't get past the smokey meat flavor. Made me think rauchbier, over the top rauchbier. I let some friends sip and they had the same feeling, taste like bad meat.

I love stone and will give this a try next time a see it, to see if i was mistaken, but my advice is to avoid on tap and grab a bottle to age.

3.23/5  rDev -21.4%

Another shared beer courtesy of AwYeh, thanks Luke.

Poured a deep brown/black with a nice two-finger tan head that lingers for a while. This doesn't seem as black as other beers, but maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me. Fine bubbling leaves excellent sheets of lace until swirling removes them.

Smell is a nice blend of roasted grains and deep roasted coffee to go with a good earthy, oatmeal character. Chocolate is baking chocolate quality in terms of bitterness, but lacks punch as the coffee and oatmeal cover it up.

Taste is a good blend of charred malt and dark coffee with a decent amount of booze at the back. I'm surprised that that's present after a couple years on this, but it isn't too much of a factor anyhow. Chocolate is a good bitter chocolate, but combined with the malts a strange sweetness comes about that I don't like too much. There isn't nearly enough oatmeal goodness in here either, something I was looking forward to. Solid, but disappointing.

Mouthfeel is pretty thick and and creamy, with plenty of stickiness all around. I want more smoothness though. Drinkability is decent, but not really even above average due to the weird booze and coffee combo. Oatmeal helps out a bit, but it needs to be amplified. I was looking forward to this brew, and it wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either.

3.29/5  rDev -20%

A sexy, sexy beer. An Exotic and impenetrably opaque obsidian. Aggresive pour rewards a fading finger of firm foam with only moderate lacing.

What aroma there is smells mostly of very toasted malt. A hint of something sweet, hiding in there as well. No hops to speak of.

It is quite bitter, almost solely from the dark malt. I do detect some minor hopping, a touch more wouldn't go astray. A pleasant sweetness is evident in the middle, quickly followed by more coffee bean espresso. As my girlfiend pointed out, some miso soup in the mix as well. The alcohol is a touch prickly. There's not a lot really going on. A dark chocolate coated arabica bean.

Body is robust enough with good carbonation encouraged by a good sloosh between the teeth.

One was fun.

3.29/5  rDev -20%

22oz Bomber

I received this bomber in a recent trade with russpowell, thanks again Russ! Stone's 12th Anniversary glugs out of its bomber and fills my snifter with an inky black liquid. The head is dark brown, so dark in fact it seems to be laced in purple. The head leaves behind some sticky lace and never falls below one finger. The body lets zero light come through.

The alcohol is big upfront along with bittersweet baker's chocolate. The alcohol gets more and more solvent like as this beer warms and it gets to the point it's hard to pull anything else out. Darks berries and roastiness flash through but only make short appearances before the baker's chocolate and booze take over again.

The flavor is a little smoother then the nose but still somewhat harsh from all the noticeable booze. Although the chocolate is still bitter there seems to be a nice helping of deep dark chocolate thrown into the mix as well. Roastiness kind of shoots all over the place and never really straightens itself out. I can see this beer being better after some time but the alcohol is too big right now.

I was hoping to get more body out of this big oatmeal stout but was let down in the mouthfeel department. The body is on the heavier side of medium and works through quickly. I would have liked to see the silky smoothness that I expect from oatmeal stouts, especially of this size. The booze gets in the way here with fumes rising through the mouth and nose after each drink and before the somewhat drying finish.

The drinkability just isn't here. The alcohol is way too noticeable and the bitterness is too sharp for the style. This bomber will be more then enough for me.

I like all of Stone's lineup but this one falls short by a long ways. There's too much booze, too much baker's chocolate bitterness, too many big flavors that don't come close to meshing. This is a big overdone mess that aims for every direction. I have another bottle of this that I'll give a couple years which I think will help this beer immensely. I think over time the flavors will mellow and come together much better.

3.31/5  rDev -19.5%

Pored out of a bomber too cold @ fridge temperature. Black liquid, easily compared too used motor oil! Almost no head. The foam that was present was a beautiful mocha, but faint way to quickly. dated july 2008. Drank in april 2009, so it's a 9 months old brew.... i wonder if that's responsible for the "no head" beer.

Nose is a bit disappointing for a brew that claim using artisanal chocolate. Cold, nothing very special comes up. Let it warm a bit and then chocolate and roasted coffee comes up. Alcohol is definitely involved in here.

Mouth is revealing a full bodied beer. You cannot miss the bitter chocolate flavour in here. Roasted coffee comes up as it warms up. Would risk myself to say burn chocolate too ! As bitterness comes more from the chocolate then the hops, bitterness is "twisted" and unusual for those like hoppy beer.Medium-low carbonation

after taste is long and bitter, traces of coffee and brown sugar.

Finally, This brew would have been better if it was a bit more creamier. I would have expected something more refined since it is an anniversary brew.

3.33/5  rDev -19%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Pours a ridiculously dark black; even the pour is black and opaque. Possibly the darkest beer I've ever seen. Not much carbonation here, and the head suffers a bit for it, receding to a ring quickly and leaving no lace.

Smell: Loaded with dark chocolate goodness, molasses, charred grains and a hint of dark fruit.

Taste & mouthfeel: Dark chocolate, like a 100% cacao chocolate bar; as the name implies, there isn't much sweetness here. Instead, it's all about the charred grain, cacao and burnt whole grain bread. The body is medium-full, not quite as full as I was hoping for an imperial oatmeal stout however. There's some heat in the finish, more than I was expecting from a beer of 9%, along with a slightly acrid bitterness. Hopefully this mellows in time, because with a bit more smoothness this would be a great beer.

3.33/5  rDev -19%

750 bomber picked up at steves awhile back when it first came out

A-Gives a good fluffy tan/chocolate colored head on top after a medium pour. sticky to the glass, and slow falling.

S- pretty bitter smelling, chocolate and roasted scents all over. other than the strong bitterness seems pretty standard for a stout.

T- thick malty characteristics, the chocolate is less intense then i was expecting, pretty tasty. theres a solid hop presence to it, which im not really pro or con on it, however this one gives me a wierd aftertaste and i feel like the hops are part of the mis-match. ohh well, still ok, just a little annoying

M- full body, smooth light carbonation

D- its alright, the aftertaste hurts it, but its still a decent beer, but a 1 and done for me.

3.34/5  rDev -18.7%

Like Night time pouring from a bottle into a glass this is a midnight black. Put that baby up to the light and saw some wooly mammoths in there.

Smells of alcohol, some cocoa, roasteyness, bakers chocolate. Not great though. Very faint, mostly alcohol.

Quaker oates, bitter, chocolate, mocha, too hot for the hottub says the quaker oats man. You can feel the alcohol warming you up like hot chocolate on a winter day.

Mouthfeel is sweet which gives me new hope, like Star Wars episode IV, when Lucas didnt suck.

If this beer was meant to be aged it will rock, right now its all thumbs. This is the beer equivalent of ADD, but I think in 6 months or so it will be fantastic. Here's to hoping!

Poured into a snifter.

A- Ok, it's a dark beer with almost not head forming and I was pouring it straight down the middle. Upon swirling a very transient cap of foamy bubbles forms.

S- I get alcohol, anise and dark chocolate. It actually smells like it might be roasty sweet.

T- Starts out hitting you with bitter roasted malt. There seems to always be a bit of dark unsweetened chocolate behind there (surprise huh?). It is very stout like.

M- good, thick I guess you could say, not the thickest beer ever which is good. carbonation is really fine.

D- Just not the kind of beer I like I guess. Not feeling it much.

3.35/5  rDev -18.5%

Pours black with a thin brown head that immediately disappears.

The smell is of baker's chocolate, something rubbery and slightly burnt. Aroma improves a bit with progress.

The taste is of bitter chocolate with boozy alcohol. Bitter with restrained sweetness, though some chocolate chip oatmeal cookie does come to mind in the aftertaste, at first. As it progresses, it takes on more of a burnt coffee taste. Then, oddly switches back and forth. Acidity pretty high on a whole.

Almost full bodied, with a bit of thinness showing through at times.

Despite booziness/high abv, and some characteristics that seem to pop through throwing it off, it does have a certain "sipping" drinkability. I do have mixed feelings about this one, with some smells and sips better than others. As a whole, though, the burnt edges and small other "detractors" (i.e. some aroma that is rubbery/overly tar-like) make this stand in the way of what it could be.

3.35/5  rDev -18.5%

Inky black body. Thin coating of brown cream on top. Moderate amounts of lace are left behind. Aroma is chalk full of bittersweet chocolate, anise, rum soaked raisins and cherry. Flavor is some of the same, but also some fusel alcohol contributions that bring it down. A little too much heat for my liking. Didn't expect this much from a 9.2 beer. But other than that, there is the bitter chocolate notes and anise oil and coffee. Body is medium at best and carbonation fairly low, which doesn't detract from the experience. Not one that'd I'd need more of anytime soon.

3.36/5  rDev -18.2%

Bottle shared by Ryan011235. Issued July 2008.

Dark black with a nice lacey head. The thick foam looks a lot like an oatmeal cookie.

A portion of this aroma is oxidation, but this beer takes it in stride. The majority of the nose is sharp, potent burnt bitter chocolate. There is a shot of alcohol as well, which came as a surprise.

Extremely bitter with a lot of long, powdery, burnt cocoa. There is a big, vinous, almost tart, acidity from rich malts. Notes of cranberry, smoke, and very bitter black cocoa.

I like the dry, gritty, powdery cocoa feel here. The alcohol is a bit warming.

Not bad. This one is very bitter, a little more than I wished for.

3.38/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Stone XII

A- Deep brownish black with a small light head, no lacing.
S- Big smokey BBQ sauce with a touch of chocolate.
T- Smokey pork flavoring?, BBQ sauce honey, cumin, paprika, and pepper spices with a good background of milk chocolate.
M- Very sweet up front with a solid smokey center and a thick molasses/black licorice finish.

Overall- Good, but I didn't detect a good choc. oatmeal stout background (like a Founders Breakfast Stout) More of a Rauchbier to me. Good but not impressive.

3.4/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A healthy pour produces a cresting, initially four-finger thick, richly browned, frothy head. As the head slowly collapses it leaves quite a bit of lacing on the sides of my 25cl tulip glass. The beer is quite simply black and remains opaque no matter how close I hold it up to the light. Bitter burnt grain aroma and substantially toasted malt aromas are easily noticeable. At times a rich chocolate note is noticed, but at others it is drowned out by the roast character. The burnt malt notes at times can be overwhelmingly sharp, acrid and acidic and that once noticed chocolate note seems to be a faint memory. Hot alcohol notes are noticeable as the beer gets near room temperature.

Thick and creamy feeling up front and not any where near as sweet as the body would suggest. Lots of bitter burnt malt notes linger from beginning to end and in fact really lingers on in the palate after the beer has gone down my throat. Some thin, bitter, dark chocolate notes are found in the middle of this beer and the finish has a lingering note of dusty, dark cocoa powder. Even as the beer gets substantially warmer it does not lose its aggressive, acrid burnt flavors. They become perhaps a touch more tempered, but still overly influence the finish and make this excessively bitter. On the plus side, while it is quite burnt in character, the flavor does note get overly acidic from the burnt notes.

This beer is going to need some time before I can really get into it. The question remains though if it will mellow before it becomes overly oxidized. A great beer for those who like aggressively roasted flavors, I can't quite get into this though as it makes me think I am chewing on charcoal.

Purchased: Plaza Liquors, Tucson AZ

3.41/5  rDev -17%

This beer pours a thick, black, gooey, used motor oil black with a tiny, dark brown head on top. On the nose is mostly alcohol. Lots and lots of alcohol with hints of roasted malt and chocolate. But...yeah...mostly alcohol.

The taste is better than the smell, though it's still dominated by the alcohol. There is some bitter chocolate in there, along with roastiness. The bitterness of the chocolate shows up at the end, and the bitterness is much milder than the hop bitterness you get from a lot of Stone's beers. The mouthfeel is very thick with low carbonation.

I would not classify this beer as very drinkable, mainly due to the high alcohol content, but it's a very interesting beer and it was fun to try.

3.43/5  rDev -16.5%

A - Pours solid black with a thin brown head.

S - Coffee, bittersweet chocolate, cocoa powder, roasted malt followed by a milk chocolate, cream, vanilla aroma.

T - Roasted malt with black coffee followed by bittersweet chocolate and a creamy oatmeal flavor. The bitter chocolate with a hint of coffee linger on the tongue and create a good deal of dryness.

M - Medium and creamy, slightly slick with some warming alcohol.

D - Not bad but the different flavors do not blend very well. Tastes like several different beers blended together.

3.46/5  rDev -15.8%

Poured from a standard issue 22oz bomber into a a 20oz pint glass. Firm pour evokes a quarter inch head with dramatic staying power, and an picturesque coco hued head. Color is black as night, absolute motor-oil black.

Nose- Not much, coco, peat, slightly smoky, hints of booze.

Palate- Bakers chocolate, peat, some smoke. Mild bitterness but no where near as much as I was expecting from the reviews of others. Guiness-esque on some levels. Very smooth and creamy mildy hot.

Mouthfeel- slightly cloying, creamy smooth.

Drinkability- A bit strong at 9.2% and slightly cloying. A nice stout, but I think more then one is too many.

3.46/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This might one of the darkest and thickest beers I've poured. It looks almost like hershey syrup mixed with top soil as the body settles into the glass. Head is a full two fingers of carmel brown that lasts a couple of minutes. Leaves a bit of crown like lace. Nose is more of roasted coffee, dark malts and a hint of rich coco. First sip is a mix bold alcohol, burnt malt, zesty dry spices and bakers chocolate. The chocolate feel develops more as you drink and starts to include black vanilla, pie crust and toffee on the back of the palate. Alchol really stays dominate on the tongue. The bitter dry thickness left long after the swallow hurts the drinkability a bit.

3.46/5  rDev -15.8%

Jet black-sizeable tan head. Ok aroma. I get a heavy bourbon smell. Bitterness upfront-cant necessarily say it is chocolate. Roasted sort of burnt coffee flavors. Somewhat of the silkiness you would expect from an oatmeal stout. Lingering dark cocoa flavor. Mild alcohol tinge. Good body. I am a bit dissapointed overall more of a stout then anything. None of the chocolate character I was expecting. Nothing really stands out and says "hey". The bourbon aroma was a bit unexpected. Won't dis this entirely but will try my other bottle and review again.

3.46/5  rDev -15.8%

Poured from 22oz brown bomber into a clear glass snifter. July 2008 vintage date. Single purchased at Market Street Wine Shop (Charlottesville, VA) for $6.99.

A: Pitch black with 1-2 finger beige head with good retention and scattered lacing.

S: Unfortunately, the nose is not complex and basically bitter cocoa powder with some slighltys weet toasted dark malts.

T: Bitter dark chocolate dominates with a substantial dark malt contribution. There isn't a lot more here, but it is bold and pretty intense.

M: Medium-full body with low carbonation and bitter chocolate aftertaste.

D: A sweeter chocolate stout would have been more enjoyable but this is high-quality Stone brewing nonetheless.

3.48/5  rDev -15.3%

I got this bottle in a trade with russpowell. Thanks Russ!

This pours a pitch black with a 1 finger head of tan foam. Head retention is so-so and there's very little lacing.

The smell has a good bitter chocolate nose...surprise! Oh, I also get some notes of coffee, roasted malt, and a slight citrus hop smell and quite a bit of alcohol.

The taste has a big dark chocolate bitterness up front followed by some roasted malt, coffee, good dark fruit, and some hop bitterness. Some alcohol peeks its way through as well giving me some warming.

It has a fullish mouthfeel making it silky smooth, the carbonation is on the light side of medium, and it finishes with a nice oatmeal taste that brings some dryness...pretty drinkable and tasty but...I don't think I'd seek it out again. Like they said in the "old" days, it just doesn't turn my crank. Try some and see what you think,

Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout from Stone Brewing Co.