Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal StoutStone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: ThreeWiseMen on 07-02-2008

4.52/5  rDev +10%

A=Deep mahogany with a thin cola brown head. Fades fast.

S=Roasted Coffee, Alcohol, Chocolate

T/M=Surprisingly dry with a thin body and lingering finish. Flavors of bitter chocolate and port wine. A pleasant, balanced character.

O=I will definitely have this again.

4.08/5  rDev -0.7%

A-Deep mahogany with black highlights and a thin cola brown head composed of tiny bubbles. Fades fast, leaving attractive soapy lacing.

S-Bitter chocolate, tannic bitterness, dulce de leche, dark roast coffee beans.

T/M-Moderately dry with a thin body and lingering finish. Flavors of bitter chocolate and port wine.The once overwhelming chalky bitterness has faded to a pleasant, balanced tannic character.

O-Age has improved this greatly. I wasn't a fan of it fresh. I have one more bottle, will probably hold off another year before I open it.

4.4/5  rDev +7.1%

Last bottle from rattle n hum. Poured room temp into a small chalice looking glass. Looks as a stout should dark deep brown with a 1 finger tan head for a solid 30 seconds while the head dissipates to nothing. Smell is comprised of dark chocolate, plum, brown sugar and alcohol. Taste is much closer to the description oatmeal stout with a definite presence of unsweetened chocolate. Mouthfeel has some definite pluses silky, mild carbonation and a slight alcohol heat. Overall I would buy this again given the oppurtunity.

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from bomber into Allagash tulip.

A: Black with small tan head. Beautiful lacing.

N: Chocolate and rum.

T/M: Chocolate and roasted/burned coffee. Alcohol flavor comes in right after. Body is creamy and the beer is very drinkable as a dessert. There is something missing from this though. Beer flavor is a bit one-dimensional.

Found this beer in the back of my kegerator a while back and decided to try it out since my buddy, MrTopher, just traded me a few that he found sitting in the back of his local bottle shop. Not sure if the prolonged cold affected this one, but it just seemed to be missing a bit of flavor I remembered it having when fresh.

3.21/5  rDev -21.9%

Almost made a grave mistake with this bottle. After transporting it entirely across the country for the sole purpose of sharing with my lady, accidentally took this to the disc golfing, having pulled it from my box of homemade cider. Blindly, and in a rage at my double bogey on hole 5, I pulled the bottle from my bag and popped it, neglecting to notice that, for once, a cap and bottle matched breweries. No there was no time. The brown foam showed, I knew my error. Quickly, I sipped once and sealed the bottle back up with the creasing of my knife.
Confident in my seal, I continued upon the course and upon my poor performance. Some days are not for kings.
Upon the return to Brooklyn, the bottle was opened to great fanfare and celebration. Still sporting healthy carbonation due to my advanced reflexes (beyond catlike), this sexy deep purple brown black with its sex head was right on for an imperial stout. Huge, surprisingly huge, alcohol nose blasting off with the bitter chocolate. Really not much else, very little roast or big malt and fuck the oatmeal, where is that?
It's tasty, but the alcohol is amazingly still violent in this beer after a couple years. Really amazing. The chocolate in it is good, but the violence of the alcohol is reminiscent of Huck Finn's father.
Very surprised, since I remembered liking it quite a bit the first time I had it. Still liked it, just would've thought it'd be in a much more contemplative stage of life by now. Or am I just getting older?

3.8/5  rDev -7.5%

2+ year old bomber poured into my favorite snifter glass

A: Beer pours a very dark used motor oil like black that does not yield much head. A slight off white sheen of head quickly dissolves in my snifter glass. Limited lacing but very sticky

S: Very boozy, malty, chocolate aroma to this beer. A complex theme of flavors that seems to center around a dark malt chocolate flavor.

T: Nice dark chocolate, liquorice, roasted malt taste with a hint of bitter hops. There is a distinct bitter chocolate malt finish to this beer which also revels a very strong alcohol presence.

M: Medium body with a very light carbonation to this beer. There is a medium thickness to this beer but the taste is quite smooth.

D: - Very drinkable beer given the thickness and high ABV content. This is a delicious beer that has aged quite well over the last several years. The interplay between dark chocolate, hops and malt backbone is most excellent!

4.05/5  rDev -1.5%

Pours a dark chocolate color with a small head.

Smell is of bitter dark chocolates and oats.

Smooth oatmeal and chocolates with light hop bitterness as well. Very smooth flavor from start to finish.

Mouthfeel is light and creamy, velvety almost.

Overall a very tasty beer.

3.23/5  rDev -21.4%

Another shared beer courtesy of AwYeh, thanks Luke.

Poured a deep brown/black with a nice two-finger tan head that lingers for a while. This doesn't seem as black as other beers, but maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me. Fine bubbling leaves excellent sheets of lace until swirling removes them.

Smell is a nice blend of roasted grains and deep roasted coffee to go with a good earthy, oatmeal character. Chocolate is baking chocolate quality in terms of bitterness, but lacks punch as the coffee and oatmeal cover it up.

Taste is a good blend of charred malt and dark coffee with a decent amount of booze at the back. I'm surprised that that's present after a couple years on this, but it isn't too much of a factor anyhow. Chocolate is a good bitter chocolate, but combined with the malts a strange sweetness comes about that I don't like too much. There isn't nearly enough oatmeal goodness in here either, something I was looking forward to. Solid, but disappointing.

Mouthfeel is pretty thick and and creamy, with plenty of stickiness all around. I want more smoothness though. Drinkability is decent, but not really even above average due to the weird booze and coffee combo. Oatmeal helps out a bit, but it needs to be amplified. I was looking forward to this brew, and it wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either.

3.61/5  rDev -12.2%

22oz bomber poured into tulip, in March 11. Here's hoping this one aged well; picked up at Chuck's Fine Wines in Chagrin Falls, Ohio.

A: Standard stout appearance; opaque dark brown with a finger of light brown head. Decent retention, good lacing.

S: Pretty faint aroma; I can definitely tell this is an oatmeal stout though- a hint of that tangy oatmeal flavor is present. Some light chocolate malts as well. Not a bad smell, but its weakness brings the rating down a bit.

T: Oatmeal flavor is pretty prominent once again, especially to start things off, before giving way to a very bitter, dark chocolate flavor. I hate to describe this beer primarily with characteristics included in its name, but the name is extremely appropriate. There's a big hoppy element to the bitterness; I'm picking up a good number of piny/resinous flavors on the finish.

M: Medium-thick body with light carbonation; this is smooth, thick, and creamy, just like an imperial stout ought to be to maximize its flavor. Very enjoyable.

O: This beer is better than the sum of its parts; I found my glass running low pretty quickly. I'm happy that I have another bottle of this, especially since it was a limited release.

4.12/5  rDev +0.2%

Bomber marked July 2008 poured into a stone pint glass. It's overdue that I finally take the time to dust a bottle of this off and give it a review.

As this brew sits in my pint glass, it appears a pitch black color with hardly any light showing through even the edges. When held to the light, it displays some decent clarity around the outer most edges which gives way to some lighter brown hues and redness. The cap appears a dark tan to brown color, a finger strong that quickly recedes to a thin film across the top of the brew. A light swirl hardly revives the cap's strength, it just pushes the bubble formation closer to the edges of the glassware. Faint spotty lacework clings to the glass.

The aroma of this brew is all over the place. For a label that reads bitter chocolate stout, the first things I pick up on are that of dark fruits, raisin, plum, figs that give way to licorice, chocolate, fresh grains and a slight indication of oxidation. There is a light burnt to charcoal aroma that leads into a scent that is minorly reminiscent of soy sauce. The soy in this case is not dominating or overpowering, it provides a pleasant depth to the aroma of this brew without going over the top and being distracting. The backend of this brew's scent finishes with the chocolate notes that are edging towards smelling burnt.

The taste of this brew is dark and roasty, it leaves a taste of heavily kilned grains inside the mouth that last with every sip which taste like semi-sweet chocolate. Fruity flavors of raisins and prunes accent the fruity aspect of the bold alcohol that is still evident in this brew. There is a sweet grainy flavor that meshes well with the fruity alcohol flavors of this brew before turning burnt on the tongue with a light musty character. More sips of this brew reveal a light amount of oxidation in the form of soy.

This is a medium to full bodied brew that seemingly coats the inside of the mouth with a silky smoothness. The carbonation is moderate which is peculiar because it appears visually as being inadequate but as the brew rests inside the mouth it is prickly and lively. At 3 years old I would say this brew is holding up pretty well. The alcohol is still readily evident with both flavor and warming factor down the throat. However, the soy notes elude to possible packaging fatigue at this point. I would love to be able to sit here and taste this brew fresh verse what it is now but that obviously isnt possible with a one-time brew. If you haven't had this yet, get out there and get it before it's too late.

4.67/5  rDev +13.6%

Note: surprised to find this in a bottle shop in July, 2010 - then properly cellared for a few more months

Review adapted from notes taken 2/6/11

Appearance: Very black with a small brown head - I think it has lost some carbonation over the years, but it still looks good

Smell: Roasted, burnt chocolate - both cocoa and chocolate malts - some hints of coffee, alcohol

Taste: I am not sure where this bottle was stored for nearly two years, but I guess it was in a suitable place because this tastes even better than it did back in '08 - bitter, burnt/roasted malts - chocolate, both "real" chocolate (cocoa) and chocolate malts - the flavors are great and they truly linger for a while - some heat, but it is well-hidden

Mouthfeel: Super smooth and oily, nice and full probably thanks to the oatmeal

Overall: Incredibly drinkable - just needs to be brewed again!

I loved this beer when it came out in 2008. At the time, being a certified beer noob, I didn't comprehend that it was only going to be around for a limited time. Since then I have acquired some other bottles, and I have noticed that this beer only seems to get better over time. It's not as complex as Stone IRS, but it is about on-par with its excellence. I hope this gets brewed again sometime.

4.58/5  rDev +11.4%

Received this bottle today in the Black Booty BIF from drgonzo, Thanks Paul!

Poured into a snifter.

Pours an inky black with a thin mocha colored head that doesn't last. Barely a wisp of foam left. Some lacing and legs.

Aromas of dark cocoa, licorise, dark roasted coffee and dark roasted grains. No real hop aroma, but wouldn't expect it after almost 3 years.

First sip is vinous, with dark cocoa, roasty bitterness, and anise. No hop flavor either. Some sherry/oxidation flavors, that meld rather nicely with the chocolate. Finish is long with bittersweet chocolate, sherry, and roasty bitterness lingering long after each sip.

Mouthfeel is full and silky. Roasted graininess coats the mouth.

Highly drinkable. Wish I had tried this when it first came out to compare the aged version. But this has aged rather nicely. Wish I could get my hands on some more.

3.85/5  rDev -6.3%

July 2008-Opened 02-09-11

Pours pitch black with brown hues and a bit of tan head.

Good amount of bitter chocolate and roast in the nose with a nice coffee character overall.

Really nice oily oatmeal feel. Silky smooth with a great roasted bitter character. Bitter chocolate blends well with a good amount of bitterness from hops. The roasted character shines through everything though and gives this beer a dryness without taking anything away from the overall character of the beer.

Alcohol is hidden and subdued in general. Bitter cocoa with plenty of roasted character. This turns out to be a good blend of roasted character and oatmeal along with hops to give an overall pleasant double stout.

3.58/5  rDev -12.9%

Pulled the cap off this vintage bottle and only had a tiny amount of gas and hiss that leaked out of the bomber. I poured this into my DFH bubbled pint glass straight on trying to entice a nice head. I was left with a one finger thick dark mocha almost chocolate colored head that faded away to almost nothing. This baby is as black as used motor oil with no light passing through and no yeast chunks floating around. On the swirl the viscosity appears to be pretty thick.

initial burst of dark bakers chocolate, sweet figs, and other pitfruits. Some black cherries, coffee, roast, and some earthy hop undertones. Complex sweet, and caramel like, raisins and pretzels.

Sharp notes of licorice, dark rum, chocolate ice cream, dates and caramel. A slight menthol flavor? Black burnt coffee, lingering heat alcohol, mossy earthy hops and thick molasses. In the finish there is some pipe tobacco and vanilla.

4.11/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

A - Pours beautiful pitch black with low carbonation.

S - A molasses aroma dominants all other smells. There are subtle cocoa notes that arrive late during inhalation.

T - Very bold, almost invasive, alcohol during the initial phase of tasting. The middle of the taste has a funky, indistinguishable taste for my palate. The finish has a subtle, but nice, oatmeal favor.

M - Creamy and light for this style.

D - Great for an extremely, BITTERLY cold New England winter day. Drinkability only suffers because of the intense alcohol notes.

4.05/5  rDev -1.5%

From a bomber into a pint glass.

A - The pour is brown bordering on black and appears pretty viscous. Similar to 5,000 mile old motor oil. About 3/8" of solid brown head.

S - Lots of bitter chocolate/cocoa. The thing that I found interesting was a green olive aroma. There's also some burnt malts and some smokiness that can be picked up.

T - Taste is sweet up front with chocolate. It also finishes chocolaty, but quite on the bitter side. The green olive scent reappears on the tongue as well. Burnt nuttiness in the middle.

M - Viscous and velvety smooth. Carbonation may be the very slightest bit too prickly.

D - This thing goes down quite easy and the alcohol is nearly non-existent. I'm sure two and a half years have had something to do with that. At this point it seems well balanced and very smooth. I found this better as it warmed.

I really enjoyed the bitterness as done via the chocolate. There's a lengthy explanation on the bottle, but suffice to say, it works well.

4.8/5  rDev +16.8%

Poured from a bomber into a snifter. Cellared since near the release date (first I could get my hands on anyway) about 2 ½ years I would think (I forget when the 'anniversaries' come out).

Infinitely black, like the night sky absent moon and stars. Mocha-colored, full-of-flavor-looking head. Mellow/subtle but still great lacing.

Pretty surprised at the alcohol evident in the smell considering it's only 9.2% and the amount of aging on it. Can't find the word I'm looking for exactly to describe the unique part of the nose that's coming from the oatmeal. Rest of the nose is more typical/what you'd expect.

Delicious. I know the name begins with the words bitter chocolate, but the taste begins with unmistakable bitter coffee notes. I find this interesting and unique. Usually we're use to stouts having these notes in the middle or end, so pretty cool. Of course, chocolaty throughout. And not as bitter as the title might have you believe.

Full-bodied. Just like a world-class oatmeal stout should be.

Bitter in the best way! If you're a stout and porter lover, I really hope you were able to get your hands on this brew. Straight up, can't say I've ever had a better oatmeal stout. I knew I loved it from the moment I tasted it in 2008 and feel proud of myself for the patience it took to cellar one for this long. Worth every month it took. Sad the journey is over. Happy I live in Southern California and there's always the hope of Stone holding a special event where they might break out some archived bottles or aged kegs.

4.17/5  rDev +1.5%

Dug this one out of the back of the cellar. 22oz. bomber poured into a Darkness snifter.

A: Pours a dense, motor oil slick black liquid that's so heavy it forms near no head. Just a few wisps of dark mocha atop the brew. Lacing is stringy and sparse but with excellent stick.

S: Even after 2 years, nose is still quite boozy. Rubbing alcohol, sweet soy sauce, prunes, chocolate, and roasted malt. Nicely aromatic and the flavors present are almost spot on.

T: Opens sweet soy sauce, liquorice, chocolate, and prune juice. Roasted malt bitterness provides a nice background towards the middle. Ethanol starts to creep in just a bit at the back end which ruins the experience a touch. This is quickly covered though by bitter chocolate and chocolate malt. Soy sauce prevails in the end with a bit of prune juice sweetness. Finish is slightly spicy with a lingering filmy liquorice and chocolate aftertaste.

M: Medium to full bodied and very lightl carbonated. Thick and viscous in the mouth. Oily, slick, and coats the palate as it goes down. Doesn't really get any smoother than this. Finish is slightly accented and aftertaste is subtle but lingers.

D: Stone 12th anniversary goes a long way towards showing that rare =/= good. This is a world class beer by almost all standard. Delicious through and through with a mouthfeel that crushes the competition. This one's still pretty available and I'd suspect it's still yet to peak.

3.85/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Apearance - Pours black with a one finger brown head that slowly fades and leaves intricate lacing..

Nose- Tobacco, chocolate and roast coffee predominate.

Palate- Roasty coffee mixed with chocolate milk, so... mocha I guess?

Mouthfeel- Full bodied, medium creamy carbonation.

Drinkability- Goes down easy.

4.48/5  rDev +9%

Bomber poured into an oversized snifter. Even in the widemouth glass, a 3-finger dense tan head emerges atop the oily body. Great retention and a ton of sticky lacing.

Huge chocolate aromas, bittersweet and cocoa. Exceedingly chocolatey without being exceedingly sweet-smelling. Tons of roasted and toasted malts as well. I'm seriously digging this already and haven't even taken a sip yet.

This is the chocolate beer I've been looking for. Thick and creamy body with a insanely robust roasted malt body and a just-right amount of modest chocolate sweetness. Cocoa and bittersweet chocolate run wild. Hops are a memory at this point, but burnt malts fill in nicely in the bitterness department. A touch of dark fruit, a touch of warming alcohol joins a nice dry roast in the finish.

Overall impression: Excellent example of a chocolate-infused stout that doesn't make your teeth ache with sweetness. Stone, please make this again.

4.08/5  rDev -0.7%

22oz into a Stone IRS Tulip.

Pours pitch black with a tan head. Looks a little like a chocolate chip cookie sitting atop a glass of black coffee.

Nose is lightly roasted chocolate. Not slot going on here. Nice aroma, just a little... weak?

Taste is big bitter chocolate. Two years in the bottle and the cocoa is right up front. Love it.

Mouth is silky smooth. Love it!

Drinks very well, even if it is a little one dimensional. This is an excellent stout. Let it warm and sip on it all evening. Would love for Stone to revisit this one some day.

4.32/5  rDev +5.1%

2008 Vintage Twelfth Anniversary Ale

Had this out of a snifter at Holiday Wine Cellar's special event for San Diego Beer Week 2010: "Stone Vintage Archives & Decadent Chocolate Pairings" hosted by Dr. Bill Sysack of Stone Brewing. Paired with North Park's Eclipse Chocolat - Peanut Butter Toffee Truffle (my least favorite pairing of the night).

A: Black as hell with a thin head but a ton of lace.

S: Roasted malts, grain, earthy leather notes with a boozy finish - very unique and pleasant.

T: Aged woodiness, sweet booze (bourbon), tobacco, black liquorish, with a yeasty biscuit finish.

M: Medium/full-bodied ale with mellow carbonation - very smooth an creamy.

3.91/5  rDev -4.9%

Got this bottle from Worm...thanks for this and others.
Enjoyed just over years after it was brewed (Nov 2010) in the Stone XII anniversary glass.

A- real black with a great milk chocolate colored thick head that climbs the side of the glass.

S- Lots of molasses and cocoa. Bitterness with a little "green" aroma.

T- Tons of Bitter, Bitter chocolate that is great for melted hot chocolate but a little overpowering for a beer. Tastes like cold "hot chocolate".

M- Awesomely thick and perfect for an anniversary style oatmeal stout. Rivals some of the best stouts in the world.

D- I would love to have about one of these every two years to see how it ages, but more than that is a bit much unless you are looking to drink a candy bar.

Cool for an anniversary treat but deffinately not a daily drinker.

3.63/5  rDev -11.7%

Vicious black pour, with a nice dark tan finger of forced head.

Smell is good with fair amount of malts, chocolate and coffee. There is a tart quality, but it's faint.

Good lord. I'm pretty sure they used the highest percent of cocoa that they could find because this thing is uber bitter chocolate. I presumed that it would be hoppy, but it is totally the intense chocolates. Lots of roasted malts and chocolate ones it warms.

Feel is thick and coating.

This is very good, but needs to warm in my opinion.

4.23/5  rDev +2.9%

39th review on BA
Bottle to Stone Pint

App- It's black, dense and undeniably a stone stout. Has a one finger tan head that laced quite nicely.

Smell- It's chocolate and coffee and roast. Like smelling a dark heavy coffee. I picked up raisins for some reason but after an 08.08.08 and a Redemption from RR, my nose is probably shot for smelling.

Taste- Wow, way smoother than I thought it would be. This has aged quite nicely and isn't too rough or overpowering to the palate. A touch bitter due to the chocolate but I find it to be quite nice.

Mouth- It's balanced and easy to take down. This beer has some legs to it and annouces your having a stout but doesnt overload the taste buds.

Drink- After the first two beers of the night one is enough for me, but I think if it was two years ago when this was 1st released and I was camping, this would be better than Jack out of the bottle in front of the fire.

Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout from Stone Brewing Co.