Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal StoutStone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: ThreeWiseMen on 07-02-2008

4.37/5  rDev +6.3%

Appearance: Pours a very dark black color with a thin tan ring around the edge. Slight lacing on the sides.

Nose: A nice roasted malt scent with some chocolate and creamy oat scent. It has a slight vanilla sweetness too.

Taste: A deep rich toasted malt flavor. Not as much chocolate as the nose but its very present. Bitter chocolate gives way to the roasted oat and smooth toffee and espresso flavor. Definitely some dark fruits, maybe some prunes as well. A slight alcohol burn at the end.

Mouthfeel: Very heavy beer with low carbonation. This beer is very creamy and almost chewy in your mouth. There is a slight alcohol twinge at the end.

Drinkability: Stone made a great beer in this one. Sometimes you get tired of a plain old Oatmaeal Stout. This was a nice twist and its exactly as advertised. I wish they would make this year round.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

The first time I tried this beer, I really didn't care for it, but I wanted to give it a second chance before reviewing it and it really blew me away the second time around.

A- Pours very thick, opaque, and jet black with a quickly dissipating mocha head.

S- The bitter chocolate definitely makes its presence known in the nose. Notes of coffee are pretty clear as well as a slightly smoky, boozy smell, almost of bourbon or rum.

T- The taste is an intensified version of the aroma. The bitter chocolate is clearly noted, however the cocoa flavor sweetens as the beer warms. A slightly bitter smokiness is present with the taste of alcohol coming through, but as more of a warming flavor. The flavor of dark fruits come through as the beer warms, namely plums.

M- The oatmeal creates a very creamy and pleasant mouthfeel, accented by moderate carbonation and a medium-dry finish (thanks to the bitter chocolate).

D- Knowing Stone, I was expecting a beer with the word "bitter" in it to be supremely and almost unbearably bitter, however, the bitterness was more than welcome and did not intrude on the other flavors of the beer. I split this bomber, but am more than ready to share a second one.

4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

Served in a pint glass from tap. Appearance was pitch black with a thick tan head that dissipated quickly. Smells of sweet bitter chocolate and roasted malts. Tastes of dark chocolate, roasted coffee with a slightly bitter finish. Mouthfeel is full bodied and a very smooth drinking beer for such a high ABV.

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from bomber into Allagash tulip.

A: Black with small tan head. Beautiful lacing.

N: Chocolate and rum.

T/M: Chocolate and roasted/burned coffee. Alcohol flavor comes in right after. Body is creamy and the beer is very drinkable as a dessert. There is something missing from this though. Beer flavor is a bit one-dimensional.

Found this beer in the back of my kegerator a while back and decided to try it out since my buddy, MrTopher, just traded me a few that he found sitting in the back of his local bottle shop. Not sure if the prolonged cold affected this one, but it just seemed to be missing a bit of flavor I remembered it having when fresh.

4.48/5  rDev +9%

poured from a 22oz bomber into my arrogant bastard pint glass (half at a time of course). Right off the bat I was impressed, the pour is thick as hell, looks like molasses and is the definition of blackness. The head is barely there to start, just a thin layer on top but it too is as dark as they come, a rich deep brown color like cured oak.

The initial smell is bitter, not the bittering from hops like ipa's get but a whole new kind that is much more relaxed, a smooth bitterness that pleases my nose, almost reminds me of tart berries. I also get a little alcohol smell, not much though and it's paired with a vanilla bean (so basically vanilla extract, and not the cheap knockoff either).

After tasting this brew, it really just names itself. Each flavor in its title is represented in the stone fashion in perfect succession. The bitterness in the nose hits you first and adds an enticing spiciness which prepares you for the chocolate sweetness coming your way. Chocolate next, but with that spice there it's tones down from the extremely bittersweet kinds I like. Oppositely, the choc is a great way to tone down the spice and cleanse the palate for the smooth oatmeal finish, no spice in the end but the oats are definitely prominent with a bit of dryness in the last.

It's a stout! Actually, it's not even as thick as it looks because of that spicy addition to the body of the brew but the added oatmeal does give it a solid feel. Just an all around balance between that uber thick sweet stout and a spicy ipa in the body count.

9.2%...what?? You have to like bitter to like this beer, but seriously it's that exact flavor that completely cancels out any alcohol esters that would lay in the flavor to hinder the drinkability (or aid it depending on who you are). When I think about it, it's very revolutionary how they did that b/c the stout style usually uses a huge body and an ultra sweet choc and coffee combo to shoo away the estery alcohol flavors but this utilizes a whole new quality of chocolate. Seriously its good, I dig it.

Bottom line this brew is a great new take on bitterness, I mean hops are awesome, I love em to death, but I also like the boldness of style in this brew and it definitely paid off. This is probably something you haven't experienced before and they aren't brewin em again so get em while they're around!

4.05/5  rDev -1.5%

bomber poured into a chalice.

A - Pours black, with a 1/4 inch mocha head that quickly dispersed to a thin layer and ring around.

S - Roasted malt and chocolate.

T - Wow. Bitter from the chocolate, smooth from the oatmeal. Bitter linger.

M - Thick, mouth coating. Creamy, little carbonation.

D - It's good, but at the ABV, one's the limit.

4.49/5  rDev +9.2%

The 3rd and last West coast beer for the night. This is part of the 2nd week of West coast vs. Midwest beers.

Provided by madorb, heck yes!

A screen printed bomber split between my girlfriend, madorb, and myself.

A hearty pour into each of our pint glasses doesn't give us much head. This beer is a pitch, glossy black. The small amount of head we had is now gone. There is no lacing, the sides of my glass are clean.

The nose is full of dark roasted malts, dried fruits, and red wine barrels.

The taste is great. It's complex without being too complex. It's bitter enough to make your brain run wild. I could've sworn this was barrel aged. It's very bitter and dry and leaves me wanting more. I'm not really picking up on any chocolate, but my taste could be off from tasting beers for most of the night.

This is one of the few beers I've had from Stone and I would really like to try more beers like this if they wanted to brew them.

Cheers!

4.41/5  rDev +7.3%

NOTE: This bottle was purchased in January 2009 and cellared until June 2010

Appearance - The beer pours jet black. Even during the pour there's very little light able to penetrate it. Very little carbonation and barely any head develops.

Smell - The smell is not smooth, but occasionally leaves me wanting more. Chocolate dominates the nose with hints of coffee, vanilla, and hazelnut.

Taste - Dark chocolate and espresso are ever present, but allow for a touch of clove and chai to emerge every once in a while

Mouthfeel - The beer has very low carbonation but the level it has is very appropriate and proportional. It almost seems to warm slower than other beers since the taste changes very little as the temperature rises.

Drinkability - I wish I hadn't cellared the 2nd bottle I bought for only 9 months! The beer is great when purchased and great after 9 months, but 18 months later it has blossomed into a complex and immensely drinkable beer.

Other comments
I'm so pleased with how this beer cellared. I'd rate this as one of my greatest successes in cellaring and my favorite Stone beer overall. I know some feel it has it's shortcomings in certain areas, but the beer isn't overpowering, drinks very easily, and only gets better with age. Well done Stone!

3.61/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 22oz bomber purchased from Texas Liquor. Poured into a Duvel snifter, pours a jet black with big foamy brown head with nice lacing for such high alcohol content. Smell is roasted malt with plenty of chocolate and coffee aromas a touch of acetone on the finish. Taste was a little messy with such a strong hot alcohol flavor that got even stronger as my beer warmed, the strong bitterness seemed less from the chocolate and more from the burnt roasted malt finish. However the oatmeal did leave a nice creaminess to both the flavor and mouthfeel. The mouthfeel is full body with a nice for mentioned creaminess and light carbonation level. The chocolate and oatmeal really addd to the beer but the unability to mask the alcohol really detracts from it. I think that a little aging will do wonders for this beer but still a worthy beer right now.

4.31/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours thick, almost oily dark brown/black with about 1" medium brown head after a relatively aggressive pour. Leaves good continuous lace around the glass. Intriguing chocolately malt aroma that is a little subtle but interesting nonetheless. The initial flavor is warm, rich roasted malt and chocolate with a pleasant bitterness but not overly so. Complex and evolving roasted malt and chocolate aftertaste that is long lived with a tip of the tongue bitterness that is nicely balanced. Very full bodied, creamy mouthfeel that coats your tongue and keeps the flavors around. Another successful anniversary beer from Stone. I am glad I managed to pick some up. It seems that I almost missed it.

4.11/5  rDev 0%

Who's the man with the master plan, a gargolyle with a badass motherfucking brew. The epicurian's review has just come in; magnafique! No coffee present yet it begs to be paired with an expresso; so mucho impresso. Smore's anyone? I got just the milk!...The rusty trumbone of stouts; dark, dirty, tasty, naughty. The gargolyole has done it again with black water, beautiful inside as well as out. Raw cocoa bean transformed into the beverage of gods...Myans would be shittin their thongs. The name and name only...simple, delicious.

4.05/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured a thick almost black color with a half inch brown head. Little retention and lacing during the drinking period.

Dark chocolate aroma with a bitter citrus hop twang.

First impression was a glass of milk chocolate! The bitter dark chocolate mixed with the oatmeal smoothed it out a bit and made it a bit sweeter, producing a mellow flavor with a slight dark chocolate bitterness at the end.

Thick mouthfeel, the flvaors stick around on the palate only for a little bit after each drink, reminiscent of a raisin oatmeal taste with a hoppy bite.

Very good drinkability if it weren't for the 9.2% abv. Not too rich or sweet and I polished off a bottle and wanted a second one but I didn't want to be stumbling around after choking down 2 bombers back to back.

4.87/5  rDev +18.5%

Pours extremely dark with a very minimal, yet thick brown head.

Smells very sweet, definite chocolate notes with a hint of caramel and brown sugar.

Tastes amazing. It has a great sweet foretaste of chocolate, with a slight bitter and roasted aftertaste. The chocolate is not overwhelming, like Young's Double Chocolate can be.

Mouthfeel - It feels like a full bodied oatmeal stout - comparable to Sam Smith's Oatmeal or Southern Tier's "Oat" - both A/A+ beers, in my opinion. (Again, the chocolate is not overwhelming at all)

Drinkability - I'm impartial to oatmeal stouts and chocolate stouts, so for me, this is heaven. You'll probably get full pretty quick, however.

Overall, I like this beer a lot - I'm going to look into putting it on tap at home later this winter. Maybe a holiday present to myself.

3.88/5  rDev -5.6%

22 oz. bottle received in trade.

Pours a jet black with a moderate sized light brown head, great lacing here also. Smells somewhat surprised me, I thought it would smell stronger of the chocolate and oatmeal. Still smells good though. Taste was great also but still not what I was expecting. The alcohol didn't really come out in it like others are describing, pretty mellow for %9.2.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

4.31/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This might be the darkest beer I've ever had. It lets no light through whatever--not even any highlights around the edges of the glass! Just a little head and the head is super dark brown. The smell is roasted malt and alcohol. Not much alcohol in the taste, though (none at first, more as the beer warms). I also had Oak Aged Yeti this week and it was much "hotter" with alcohol. I only get chocolate in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is very nicely dry, the way I like my stouts. Not quite as creamy as some oatmeal stouts, but definitely in the creamy direction. The oatmeal flavor comes out more as the beer warms.

I'm also nibbling on a dry, sharp cheddar cheese, some potato chips, a bit of chicken that I grilled earlier in the day, and a couple of squares of dark chocolate. I'm a bit surprised at how the beer gets overpowered by each of these things--none of them are super strongly flavored. This isn't really a knock on the beer; rather it's a recommendation that you might want to enjoy the beer on its own. The flipside of this, is that the beer is very drinkable. Normally a big, bold stout would drain away more slowly for me, but this one is going too quickly!

Overall this is nearly, but maybe not quite, on par with some of my favorite stouts--AleSmith Speedway and Bear Republic Big Bear Black Stout.

4.12/5  rDev +0.2%

Had that back when it first came out at Daily Pint, but finally getting around to reviewing it in bottle form. Poured into my Stone IRS tulip.

A: Pitch black and thick, but not much head. Head is almost reddish brown but leaves very little retention although it appears solid lacing.

S: Nose it dominated by chocolate, as you might expect, as well as a rich roasted malt.

T: Very subtle opening with hints of chocolate quickly blossoms to full blown bitter chocolate and dark fruit. Then the malt takes over, huge and toasty with even a bit of sweetness at the end.

MF: Medium bodied with a solid bit of carbonation. Surprisingly light, really, considering what the beer looks like. The bitterness of the chocolate and the strong toastiness gives the finish a biting and somewhat dry feel. Alcohol is pretty well masked and doesn't really feel like 9.2%.

D: I feel like this was a bit more chocolaty on tap. Still, the flavor is very good and unique. Certainly not the hop bomb you'd expect from a Stone anniversary beer, but this is extremely good for the style. The alcohol is not overstrong, so drinking a bomber is not out of the question, but I couldn't drink this all night long, either. Personally I like their imperial stout more, but this is a very nice brew and I'm glad I had the chance to enjoy it.

3.91/5  rDev -4.9%

What an interesting concept. Replacing the hoppy bitterness with a different variety entirely. I like Stone's style. They're willing to do whatever the hell they want, in or outside the box.

A - One of the darkest beers I have ever seen. Like a shadow poured from under the cloak of death. The thickish head is the color of gourmet hot chocolate. There is little lacing.

S - Surprisingly muted aroma. Probably because the scent-giving qualities of the hops are absent. The toastiness of the malt is there- Bordering on burnt.

T - Less of a distinct chocolate flavor than I was anticipating, but still quite pleasant. I enjoy this. It's a different flavor, but quite true to many of the stout qualities that I have come to love. There is a tart/fruity element, with coffee, carmel and toasted nuts. Good bitterness throughout. Interesting application of chocolate. I would like to know how much was used.

M/D - The moutfeel is very soft and rich, medium-full bodied, somewhat light on carbonation. This certainly isn't a session beer, but it's one worth trying. It's an interesting interpretation for sure. check it out!

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

Got my hands on a growler of 12th anniversary brew this weekend and can't wait to drink my fair share of this rich brew treat this summer.

A: Pours black with a dense brown-foamed head. This froth is very bubbly and laces my glass heavily.
S: Immediate bitter dark chocolate aroma. Very strong with notes of coffee beans.
T: Continued bitter chocolate with flavors of strongly-brewed black coffee. A bit of sweet malt is apparent, as well.
M: Coates the palate with a warm alcohol characteristic. Long lasting flavors don't give way to high(er) ABV.
D: A nice transition from more recent anniversary brews. Conversational. Intriguing. Tastefully chuggable. This beer would go great in my coffee mug at work. Deliciously brewed.

4.16/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

First thing I need to tell you about this beer is give it 5-6 months in the fridge. I had a fresh one and it was all right, but got a bit harsh and bitter towards the end. Everyone was raving about it, but I couldn't see what all the fuss was about. Having polished another one off last night dated "July 2008", now I know what everyone was talking about.

It poured jet black with a chunky brown head into my tulip glass, with lots of sheeting action on the glass. Not much in the aroma department. I have a weak nose, but could only barely detect some chocolate in the aroma. Lots of big, yet mellow flavors in there, with plenty of roasted malt, chocolate bitterness, a touch of molasses sweetness, and a little detectable alcohol. At 9.2%, the alcohol is well hidden, but not totally. This brew also got a little grainy as it warmed.

Stone often succeeds not by hitting you over the head with big flavors, but doing a great job blending and balancing big flavors, and this is another example of well blended, balanced, and moderately complex brew of theirs.

Pretty creamy mouth feel, and the brew resembles motor oil visually, what was all right with me. Very drinkable for all the big stuff going on, with a slight subtraction for the alcohol note.

Just make sure you age this puppy at least 5-6 months, OK?

4.13/5  rDev +0.5%

This beer pours dark black like motor oil but not quite as think, with a medium offwhite head. Smells of chocolate flavors and some coffee. Tastes of dark chocolate, burnt coffee and oats. The taste is in fact quite bitter upfront but it also has a nice sweetness that balances out nicely. Like others have said, the mouthfeel is much more carbonated than I expected. That is not a bad thing, this one goes down quite smoothly. Drinkablity is good. i had no trouble finishing the bomber.

3.98/5  rDev -3.2%

Had this out of a 22oz Bomber from the brewery itself, poured into a pint glass for tasting.

Appearance: Beautiful Stout color with brownish head with nice lacing. Poured thick, brown-black, and head receded a few seconds after pour to leave a one-finger brown head.

Smell: Coffee, bitters, hops, chocolate, and malty undertones. There is a bit of pine and cirtus here, but it's dwarfed by the chocolate stout. Low hops here, but Stone was going for something different here.

Taste: A sipper of a stout with the chocolate, malts, and alcohol all coming quickly and coating the tongue. Bitter alcohol is laced throughout, and the drink is heavy and filling like a dark coffee. Thick, dark, and stouty through and through.

Mouthfeel: Thick and tongue-coating, much like a heavy porter or stout should feel in my opinion. The coffee like bitterness is all over the mouth, and the carbonation is both smooth and efficient. A very nice feel and not too bad aftertaste either.

Drinkability: It's every bit of it's 9.2% ABV. Slow drinker for sure. I had the 13 Anniversary from Stone recently too, and the 13th drinks much quicker as a bigger beer. Stouts fill and slow, but overall, a really interesting and different beer from what I'm used to, but enjoyable through and through. My roommate who is not a beer connoisseur type thought it amazing, so take that for what you will too.

3.86/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle served into a pint glass

pours a hellish black with a reddish tan head.. bubbles are staying put

slight alcohol in the nose. chocolate,malty toastyness, belgian yeast in the nose

heavy chocolate, espresso hits right away, toasted malts soon follow it up, finished up clean

kinda acidic in the mouthfeel but pretty heavy.

i was kinda scared at first pouring this, got it at a pretty seedy liquor store for about 6 bucks. well worth it. broke my oatmeal stout cherry

4.16/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

The beer poured a viscous, thick black crude, with a dirty brown head into a pint glass. A strong burnt toast/roasted malt smell. The taste was of bitter black malt (maybe a touch of the un-sweetened chocolate as well) and burnt toast, which got more and more pronounced with each sip. The alcoholic phenols were quite evident as well, making this taste exactly like the big-time, high gravity beer that Stone is known for, especially with its anniversary brews. Not something to be chugged, but savored slowly.

Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout from Stone Brewing Co.