Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal StoutStone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: ThreeWiseMen on 07-02-2008)
« first ‹ prev | 776-800 | 801-825 | 826-850  | next › last »
4.53/5  rDev +10%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours as black as any beer I've ever seen. About one finger of brown head that faded with little lacing.

Smells like roasted malt with an amazing chocolate smell. I don't really detect much alcohol.

The chocolate is prevelant throughout without taking over. Has a smoky taste. This is a damn fine stout. Has a warm finish, I have no experience with aging, but from what I've read the bottle I have stashed now should mellow out a bit.

The mouthfeel is about what I expected, perfect for a stout.

22 ounces will be enough for a sitting, and above 9 abv more than the 22oz might take me from sitting to laying down.

I have one extra bottle stashed, I'm giving strong consideration to going back to the stor to pick up a few more. They will make a fantastic gift for the holidays (keep a few for myself as a special gift to myself).

Stone has yet to let me down and this is no exception, they may have raised the bar a bit further.

mikejk305, Jul 14, 2008
2.63/5  rDev -36.2%

Bought from a no name liquor store in Ridgecrest, California. Poured from a 22oz bottle into a chilled tulip glass. Before I give my review I have to clarify that this is the second time I have tried this particular craft, the first time I bought it right from the brewery and it was great. This is a review of the second bottle, not nearly as good, please keep that in mind.

A - Black like motor oil. Barely any head, what is there is slightly brown in color. There is vitually no lacing. Looks like a good stout.

S - Coffee. Chocolate. A little bit chemical like.... ethonol or acetone. Very earthy. After it sat for a bit the chemical smell went away and everthing else settled down quite a bit.

T - This should just be called Bitter-Stout, I initially got no chocolate or oatmeal. Again with the coffee. After a few sips the chocolate starts to come through.

M/D - Overall a bit of a let down. Like I said, I remember this being much better the first time, so I may have gotten a bad bottle. But the review is for this bottle and this bottle was sub-par.

I would say, if you are a fan of stouts then try this for yourself, otherwise pass it up and get what you love.

k3punk, Nov 23, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -1.7%

22oz. bottle into my big 16.9oz snifter. No freshness date but, duh.

A. Pours black with a great 2-finger head. Somehow creamy and rocky at the same time. Fades but laces really nicely.

S. I loved the nose on this. Sweet toasty malts and heavy dark chocolate. There's another faint sweetness in there, like some dark fruit, will never be able to place it. Subtle alcohol waft lets you know she's a heavy hitter.

T. Dig, sweet, dark, roasted malts from the off followed by the bitter chocolatiness. I'm surprised actually by how smoky this tastes. Just a great balance of sweet and bitter roasted chronic. I'm going to include the mouthfeel here, which is a fabulous velvetly wave over the tongue, almost as if a superb quality chocolate has imparted a dryish creamy feel. Awesome.

D. This is certainly a big beer, but it's not syrupy like some RIS's and such. More drying in the finish than I expected. I might not be thinking about bomber #2 afterward, but I'm certainly still stoked to quaff some more of something!

Another one I really like from Stone. The 12th would probably lie down really well but it's in no way overpowering. If another one finds its way to my house it won't be around for too long.

Prost!

misterdmac, Oct 03, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +8%

Appearance= Nicely done screen print label with the "anniversary" gargoyle giving you "what of it?"
Pours blacker than batman, with the tight foaming action of a two inch creamy tan head.

Aroma= Instantly pours out breakfasty oatmeal aromas followed by rich dark chocolate and freshly cracked grain. Small alcohol notes with maybe some grassy hop notes lagging behind.

Taste= Mouthfull of semi-sweet chocolate. I really like how the malt still shines through all the chocolate and oatmeal flavors. Small alcohol notes in the end of the flavor as well.

Mouthfeel= This is what really does it for this beer. It is probably the best sensation my tongue has ever gotten from a beer. Like smooth sheets of velvet rolling over your tongue as it sloshes around the mouth. With the dryness and alcohol coming right in to clean up.

Drinkability= For what it is, I believe it to be very high. The booze never overpowers the rich creaminess of this beer. I was longing for another one as soon as I was done with the 22oz. Which with a stout of 9.2% could lead somewhere really good or bad.

mcfisty, Aug 14, 2008
4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

I picked this up for dessert and split a bomber.

A-The color is very deep, almost black. There's a slight creamy brown head which quickly disappears, leaving very little lacing in its wake.

S-Let me start by saying - I REALLY like chocolate. And this had an amazing bittersweet chocolate smell. So much chocolate. So good.

T-At first I tasted mostly the bitter chocolate, but a few sips in I started to also get a sense of the smooth oatmeal flavor. Seriously: this is a delicious beer.

M-Very thick, with very little carbonation.

D-This was awesome. I would have this for dessert every night. It's like a really dark chocolate bar, but its a beer. I mean, what could be better?

themedievalist, Feb 16, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -11.9%

Pores black with 1/2 inch of dark tan head.

Smells faintly of chocolate and malt.

Medium body with foam-like texture. Very interesting.

Taste of strong roasted flavors and coffee-like bitterness. Bitterness lingers into the aftertaste. Bitterness reminds me of baking chocolate.

Smooth to drink but bitterness stays a bit too long. The heaviness also detracts from it's drinkability. This ale has some interesting characteristics but there are many imperial stouts that I'd pick far before it.

r3zim, Nov 02, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours Black! Aroma is slight coffee, not much chocolate slight hop aroma, smokey. The head is light brown and creamy, mostly diminishing with a little lacing. The initial flavor is bitter chocolate lasting on the back of the tongue, a little alcohol burn in the stomach. The body is medium, the texture creamy. I loved the 11th anniversary and this is right up there, I have a few in the cellar but I'll be getting more of these to drink now.

dwalters, Aug 24, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +4.4%

On draft at Canal Street Pub Reading, PA

Its nice to let this one warm up! Great malt and dessert flavors with a hearty balance and relaxing feeling finish. Mmmnnn

Enjoyed it with fresh fruit, peanut butter cups and brownies. A grand dessert!

Cheers!

BBG

ImBOBtheBEERguy, May 30, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +6.3%

A-dark oily brown to almost black; zero head retention (probably affected by the use of oats)
S-roasted malt character; coffee; dark chocolate; no hop aroma
T-they say bitter chocolate and you can definitely taste it! definite coffee and chocolate flavors, with emphasis on the bitter roastiness rather than the sweetness; little to no hop flavor, though hop bitterness is detectable
M-the oats provide a delectable body to this beer; the liquid feels thick and hearty in your mouth; mild carbonation
D-this was a very drinkable beer--i had a split a bomber with my brother while on vacation in vermont, and i was a little irate after i tasted it that i had to share half of it with him (i clearly took the bigger half--he's more of a wine guy). it was great winter beer to warm us up as we're expecting the temps to drop to 5 F tonight!

skee1080, Dec 26, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

It took me one and a half glasses to get a real grip on this brew.

Poured into a Guinness tulip (my favorite glass).
A: Black with no light penetrating. Pretty standard. I'm sure if you backlit it with a floodlight you would see dark red, but I don't have a floodlight handy. Stiff brownish head that laces the hell outta the glass.

S: Lots of alcohol in the nose. I don't shy away from alcohol, but this has me a little worried. Also picking up the oatmeal, chocolate, and roasted malts. If the alcohol wasn't so present, the malts would smell delightfully dreamy.

T: This is where the confusion for me lies. The alcohol from the nose doesn't show up at all, and what does show up takes a while for me to put a finger on. I get a little bit of everything with every gulp. The bitter chocolate eventually lends a mild sweetness while the oatmeal only adds a very subtle effect. There's a lot of deep, dark flavor going on here...you have to pay attention to this one.

M & D: Mouthfeel was pretty standard; nothing to complain about, certainly. Surprisingly, the drinkability is a little off. The alcohol you get on the nose, but not on the taste, really hits you in the end. Quite a twist.

Notes: Wasn't so sure of this one halfway through, but in the end, it turned out quite well. After getting acclimated to the brew it shows what it's all about and becomes quite enjoyable. I'm perfectly happy to have tried it.

therealnod, Jan 03, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +10%

A=Deep mahogany with a thin cola brown head. Fades fast.

S=Roasted Coffee, Alcohol, Chocolate

T/M=Surprisingly dry with a thin body and lingering finish. Flavors of bitter chocolate and port wine. A pleasant, balanced character.

O=I will definitely have this again.

sammib528, Apr 23, 2011
4.97/5  rDev +20.6%

Serving 22oz Bottle

Appearance - dark as pitch! I had it out of the bottle (I was thirsty - sue me!) so I cannot comment on head, but I would not anticipate a lot of head with this beer.

Smell - dark chocolate, roasted malts with a hit of dark roasted coffee and nuts.

Taste - amazing! Dark and heavy at first with the chocolate smacking you in the face. After a few sips the flavor profile mellows and and becomes more complex with notes of oatmeal and roasted coffee. No perceptible alcohol taste for such a big beer.

Mouthfeel - thin for an oatmeal stout, but still has some substance to it.

Drinkablility - exceptional for a big beer. I could really get in trouble with more than one of these around.

cxg231, Jul 18, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +7.5%

Found this brew at a new sandwich shop in town that features somewhat hard to find microbrews. This is my third Stone experience, and have to say it's made me a huge fan.

Poured deep black, near the same as The Abyss. It was easy to see how thick this stuff will be with the limited carbonation barely making it to the top of this incredibly viscous beer. Being Stone and having "bitter" in the title I expected a lot more bitterness, instead it was very sweet and easy drink. Tasted of dark chocolate with an espresso aftertaste. In the end this brew didn't last long, and I will be heading back to that shop to buy a few more bottles before its too late!

BeerlyAwake, Jan 18, 2009

A: Pours a thick, dark earthy black. Thin head with light lacing.

S: Sweet, malty aroma. The chocolate is definitely noticeable here, and quite enjoyable.

T: Surprisingly light and sweet for an oatmeal stout. Again, the chocolate is definitely noticeable. Really delicious with a mild, pleasant aftertaste.

M: Again, surprisingly light for an oatmeal stout. Very pleasant.

D: As drinkable as any stout. Really not too heavy, and very enjoyable.

lackingfocus, Jun 10, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

We just got a keg of this on tap where I work and man it is good. I haven't had many stouts but I think this will turn my taste. Strong alcohol and chocolate smell. Very smooth with a great after warming feel. Hints of cherry with the chocolate and a gritty cocoa aftertaste. Goes great with our beef brisket. :)

eRoc, Dec 17, 2008
4.18/5  rDev +1.5%

Picked this bottle up from my fav package store in town.

Once I opened the bottle I noticed the nice roasted malt and subtle chocolate smell. I shared this bottle with a friend right outside the store. I couldn't wait to get home. So for this i was forced to pour into a plastic cup. The pour was very heavy, just like motor oil, leaving a nice chocolate head. First impression on taste is. Has a very smooth and velvety feeling as in enters my mouth. The taste is big on the roasted malts, with a tiny bit of chocolate. I almost don't notice it all. Very delicious. There is a slight alcohol taste that lingers afterward. Overall this beer really good, a great stout indeed. Even though it may be July this one gets me very excited for fall and winter beers. I will look foward to getting my hands on this again!

rolandolopez2, Jul 09, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +11.2%

I've been looking for a chocolate stout for years that's bitter. This one doesn't disappoint, but it could use a little more hoppiness to balance out the malt and the chocolate.

It's not overly sticky-sweet however, like some chocolate stouts I have tried.

Being an oatmeal stout gives it the telltale rocky head and velvety mouthfeel that add to it's character.

If you like stouts, and can get ahold of this one, it's definitely worth a try.

jbsmth, Dec 01, 2008
4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours a dark deep oily black. Beautiful rich dark head to match. Aroma not quiete yet distinct with dark chocolate and hops. Taste balannced with great bitter chocolate finish right in the center of your tongue. Great beer but not as complex as anticipated.

starvinbarley, Apr 24, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

brewhaha110, May 10, 2013
3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

A: Poured from a 22oz bottle into an imperial pint glass, this beer poured an intense dark brown and settled a pitch black with an inch of frothy tan head.

S: Rich chocolate aroma with alcohol, coffee and roasted oats in the background.

T: Tastes of alcohol, chocolate and sweet malts. The chocolate was not masking or too sweet which was nice. Coming from Stone I usually don't expect a saccharine beer anyway.

M: Smooth seas DO make skillful sailors

D: A bit hot for my taste, but not bad. Will mellow with age. I'll be trying this on tap today and will follow up on this overall very nice brew.

numerik2012, Jul 31, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

[SOURCE]: bottle. cellared in fridge (?) for 5 months. Released 7/08, fridge cellared 1/19/09...drank 5/1/2009.

[SMELL]: has developed significantly more alcohol in nose since original release... starting to detect a hint of the buttery/aged 'mature beer'

[APPEARANCE]: Satisyingly rich, chocolate head...atop a warm obsidian base

[TASTE]: YES!! No one flavor overpowers another; chocolate, oatmeal, hoppy bitterness, alcohol...
...and a deeply SMOKED after taste. (If you wait for it)

[DRINKABILITY]: Yes! I would enjoy drinking this 'well-developed' beer on a regular basis

[OVERALL]: This beer is approaching perfect at the 1 year mark. Will it continue to get better? Or will in reach it's apoethesis between now and summer '09.

SweetNessa34, May 02, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -6.6%

I had this on tap at Pure Luck this week. I was surprised to see it there.

It looks very dark and, honestly, a bit imposing for someone who may shy away from darker beers. Smell is distinctly alcoholic and gives a resin-y sensation, which nicely sets you up for a beer that isn't saturated by a searing alcholic taste, but rather a roasty, dark chocolate sort of flavor. I found it difficult to drink this at first- the burst of cocoa was a bit overpowering. But as my mouth adjusted, the subtle underlying elements came to surface. I think this is a fine effort by Stone, though their last two Anniversary ales were more my preference.

pfelon, Jul 10, 2008

phoenix155, Jul 06, 2014
« first ‹ prev | 776-800 | 801-825 | 826-850  | next › last »
Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout from Stone Brewing Co.