Stone Smoked Porter With American Oak - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Smoked Porter With American Oak
No picture uploaded.

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: charlzm on 07-12-2008)
Reviews by vertigelt1:
3.35/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Wow. Pressure's on. Only three previous reviews...

So, I had this on cask at the Daily Pint in Santa Monica, poured into a goblet. Completely black beer, no highlights. Thick bubbly head. "Merengue" is a great deacription.

Smoke and oak are very subtle on the nose. Roastiness is the strongest scent. A little dark malt.

Taste is intriguing but not well balanced. The smokiness renders itself a little sour. The oak isn't strong enough. I was expecting a little more vanilla or earthiness.

The real problem is the mouthfeel. The flavour is fairly strong, bit the alcohol and carbonation are fairly weak. Thin body. The flavour really requires MORE from the feel.

The mouthfeel really makes the drinkability suffer, too. I'd really enjoy this if it had a bolder pressence. Otherwise, it's interesting but nothing I'd really recommend.

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

On cask poured into a plastic pint glass.

Pours a very dark brown almost brown with a small bubbly light brown head. Nose is smoke and malt and that's it.

Wow, taste is great. The oak and smoke go so well together! It's not too surprising. Really great and oncask makes it even better totally worth trying!

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

This beer blew me away when I was at Stone a couple months back. Forgive me but I am doing this on memory. I go to Stone monthly(sometimes a few times a month) being that I now live in San Diego, so I have tried almost all of what they have offered in the past 4 years or so.

Anyways

A- Beautiful. Looks a very deep brown like the regular Stone Smoked Porter, yet it had a three finger, overflowing, crramy head from being hand pumped out of the cask.

S- Sweet oak and chocolate. smokey goodness.

T- OOOHHHH YEAAAAHHH. I didn't think the Smoked Porter that Stone offered could get any better. This is more Vanilla tasing like they put a scoop of vanilla ice cream in it. They do have this also. Its AWESOME.

M- (EDIT) Had it again. this has just as thick of a mouthfeel as the original with hints of vanilla. Dont understand the thin mouthfeel reviews... Excellent

D- Pretty good. Only drawback is the approaching room temp from the cask.

I LOVE this beer. I am always keeping my eye on their menu for it. Ill make the drive just to drink it.

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

Consumed on cask 07/11/08 at The Daily Pint, Santa Monica, CA.

Black beer. Opaque. A creamy three finger tan head sits atop this cask ale like evil merengue.

A malty, roasted aroma with a hop character I can't quite indentify. Simcoe, perhaps?

The flavor is sweet, roasted chocolate malt up front. Only the slightest hint of smokiness. The oak character is subtle, restrained, almost lost in the shuffle. Finishes with a little bitterness and a slight alcohol heat.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin, though I'd stop short of calling it watery.

I'd love to A/B this with a "regular" smoked porter from Stone.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Sierra Grille, on cask for the Stone dinner. Crazy packed on a Sunday night.

Pours dark brown with a very nice frothy, bubble off-white head. Looks good the whole time and leaves great webby lacing up and down the glass.

There is a bit of roasted malt in the scent, but I am also getting some nice wood and vanilla notes from the oak.

Taste is great, oak was a great addition to this beer. I remember the smoke being pretty intense on the original version and that seems to be tamed and maybe even a little too covered up, but I still get a charcoal-y, almost grilled meat type smoke taste, which mixes excellently with roasted malt, sweetness and vanilla. Light coffee taste and hops also. Mouthfeel is a bit thin but good, carbonation is on the low side.

The vanilla+smoke combo is excellent, I wish the smoke was as strong as it is in the original though. Glad I got to try this.

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Had this on cask at the Houston Flying Saucer during their 9th birthday party.

A - Poured a black color with a tan head that leaves lacing behind

S - Is of roasted malt vanilla and some smoke

T - Follows the nose for the most part the oak gives nice hints of vanilla and the smoked malt seems more present than the regular bottled version which isn't bad to me

M - This beer has a thin body with medium carbonation to it

D - This oaked version was a very good beer but I'm still disappointed with the body definitely worth grabbing a pint of if you ever hear about it being tapped

Stone Smoked Porter With American Oak from Stone Brewing Co.