Stone Cali-Belgique - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Cali-BelgiqueStone Cali-Belgique

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian IPA |  6.90% ABV

Beer added by: gpogo on 07-23-2008

Reviews: 1,021 | Hads: 3,027
Reviews by Thingus:
2.24/5  rDev -44.1%

I have been on an IPA kick lately and I picked this up on one of my recent shopping sprees... I feel like I had it at some point in the past but couldn't remember for sure so I snagged one...

Appearance; pours a lovely crisp goldenrod color, head went kinda crazy for me on this one (I may have had a violent pour...) i got three fingers of nice white head, started off with super fine bubbles, with a few large ones interspersed, the head gave way to larger bubbles not unlike bubble bath... Lacing is ok, retention is poor, all that's left of the the three fingers of head is a thin film.

Smell; smell is just kind of off... It's got a slightly pungent aroma similar to other belgians I can remember with a hint of honey and some slight pine hop aromas in there...

Taste; unfortunately was not what I was expecting... Its kind of a mish mash of an IPA and a Belgian, as if a drunken bartender somewhere starting pouring an IPA for someone who ordered a Belgian and rather than dumping or setting aside the IPA, added the belgian to what was already in the glass... Belgian yeast flavor dominates this and I get the slightest pine and hop bitterness on the finish.

Mouthfeel; effervescent, much like Belgians I've had in the past, but aside from that fairly unremarkable, generally speaking I prefer thicker, full bodies beers, and this falls in the light body category in my opinion, which isn't bad, just not exactly what I was expecting...

Overall; I really feel like I'm trashing this beer unfortunately, however I am being honest with my impressions. I feel like Cali-Belgique does two things half as well as a beer that does one thing pretty well... Kind of brings the saying "jack of all trades, master of none" to my mind. Perhaps this is simply a style I am incapable of appreciating and I'll likely revisit this one at some point a couple more times at varying intervals to give it (and any changes my palate goes through) another shot. (1,954 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Dogfish Head IPA glass,

A - 4 - Poured a semi-translucent gold with slight tinges of orange. Colored is that of a standard domestic brew. Really nice had potential and retention on this beer, formed up a 3 finger, dense and creamy bright white colored head. Spotty lacing.
S - 3.75 - Aromas of clove, light smoke, light bubblegum from the yeast strain and VERY distant hops. Not necessarily bad or good, just odd.
T - 3.25 - A little weak on the flavor. Would make a good transitional IPA. Faint hints of Belgian yeasty. Nutty, bubblegummy spicy yeast is very faint and past this there isn't much else going on unfortunately. More bitterness would take this IPA a LONG way.
F - 4.5 - Nice, smooth and oily mouthfeel.
O - 3.75 - This is an alright IPA. This is what I called a food pairing, lawn mower and shower beer. Very sessionable and easy to throw back. If you're an absolute die hard fan of the Belgian IPA style, then you might want to seek this one our, otherwise, it isn't anything crazy special. (1,021 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +0.7%

Stone brew new to Alberta number two, bomber poured into a tulip. Nice looking brew, light bronze amber with a fluffy, resilient off-white head rather like meringue. Leaves nice concentric rings of lace around the glass. Aroma of fresh grapefruit, burlap sack, cloves, a little orange as well, light caramel. Ample rustic Belgian yeast and sturdy citrus and pepper hops. Palate is quite wonderful, one of the better compromises between yeast and hops I've observed in this rather murkily defined style. Impressive resinous green bitterness coupled with grapefruit, lower key orange and pineapple, green banana, medicinal phenols to a surprising degree. Moderate body with some heft and similarly robust carbonation. Finishes intensely bitter and dry, decent pucker power that recalls more citrus rind (lemon with no juice to sweeten things), floral tobacco, herbal tincture and flinty minerals. I am enjoying this brew's bucolic intensity and unapologetic spicy edge. Smooth mouth feel despite these traits. Stone may be old news down south but this ought to make waves up here. (1,078 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Big fan of stone and the initial smell of the beer had me excited, but I didn't think the hops and belgian style quite worked here.

Haven't had many Belgian IPAs, but Flying Dog Raging Bitch is what I would recommend if you want one. For stone I will stick to their other great IPAs if I want some hops (304 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -8.2%

On tap at the Mellow here in Greensboro.Poured into a standard pint glass a peach infused medium golden with a thinner white head atop,medicinal and citric aromas mainly.Flavors have a slight medicinal quality and deep fruity esters,a citric pine hop component comes into a lingering finish.Not a bad beer but Iam not a fan of the medicinal yeasty quality it has to it. (369 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +7.2%

Appearance - This is an amazingly brilliant orange in color with a modest white head that nonetheless left some good lacing.

Smell - The aroma here is modest even as the ale warms but I got some soft citrus hops that mixed well with a rich malt base. There's a nice sense of Belgian yeast to this nose as well delivering on the promised American/Belgian marriage.

Taste - This is much lighter in flavor than I expected. It is a very delicate ale. The hops show a particularly deft touch when considering past Stoner ales. The citrus from the nose I thought announced a heavy hop hand here but I was mistaken, and the obnoxious malt base that I anticipated was absent as well. This is a very balanced beer really with crisp but not overpowering orange-flavored hopping, little malt, and a clean, sophisticated yeast.

Mouthfeel - This is nowhere near as big as I thought it would be. I wouldn't even consider this medium-bodied, and the bitter feel is throughout the drink but again very reserved.

Drinkability - This is a very quaffable Cali/Belgian ale and proof that Stone can offer subtle quality when needed. This one grew on me as I went. (1,146 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

I purchased this bottle skeptical about how well Cali would meld with Belgique, but with a deeply-rooted trust in Stone. The best Belgian ales are powerful and complex yet delicate, a quality American brewers often disregard. Stone, however, can seemingly do it all.

A smell unlike anything I've ever encountered, save a greenhouse, greets me kindheartedly, as if presenting me with a wreath of flowers for my triumph in bringing it home to be released to my senses. It's massively floral, hops blending perfectly with the earthy, fruity, and bubble gum/lemon pound cake sweet yeast aroma. Very suitable for the seasonal warmth and dampness.

The head is modest at first, a finger's worth in a fairly wide snifter. It settles thin and wispy but forms a very fine patch of lacing on the glass. The second (more vigorous) pour produces two fingers, The body is a crystal clear, brilliant golden poppy color, and I was surprised to see it was a filtered beer.

The beer is wet on the palate like morning dew. Earthy, fresh, berry fruit with a touch of lime (think mojitos), blending so well with gentle malt sweetness and again some bubble gum, that it seems the ingredients have aged together for centuries. Alas, being filtered I'm not sure how long you could age it. This is unfortunate as my only real gripe with the flavor is that it's maybe a bit too bitter for that Belgian yeast delicacy. It grows on you though.

Hops and spice coat my mouth, pleasant for me but not for all. Definitely an IPA sharpness to it. Trademark Stone.

Not really a session ale, but not supposed to be. I could see drinking a couple because it's so good, but for most, one will satisfy, if not sit heavy. (1,687 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

4.34/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Bright copper color, like a classic west coast IPA, tight bubbles, almost no head.

S: Enormous mixture of belgian yeast and northwestern US hops. An intriguing, awesome blend. Really well executed. No malt on the nose at all.

T: Again, fruit and citrus from the hops mix very well with the fruit flavors from the yeast. An assertive yet transparent malt backbone, not too thin.

M: Not too thin, but not enough body to withstand the bitterness, almost. Like mostly pefect but a little bit off for my preference in the style.

D: Very drinkable beer with a reasonable, sessionable-for-Belgian IPA.

Lovely all around. I heart stone and this is no exception. (662 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

4.25/5  rDev +6%

3.53/5  rDev -12%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

More of a Belgian Ale in appearance, light in color with a white head which sticks around for a while. The ABV and hops are more consistent with a toned down American Pale Ale than a revved up British version. Stone, as per usual, puts forward a refreshing brew that is very drinkable. Though expected hints of fruit in this IPA aren't all that present, the sweetness of a Belgian Ale is there. This is a good combination ale but I do prefer Stone's individual efforts in regard to these two styles individually. (512 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -20%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.83/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.2/5  rDev +4.7%

A - Gold, low carbonation, 1 finger head that fades to a covering and leaves some lacing. (Growler from my Whole Foods which is notorious about low carbonation)

S - Pineapple, sweet fruit, a little spice with a touch of Belgian funk.

T - Hops take the front seat, although not overpowering the malt just provides a nice backdrop for them to shine. The hops are a nice balance of citrus and floral, which gives it an almost succulent fruit like flavor...like lychee. Sweet malt in the back to balance it all out.

M - Fermented dry, could use a bit more carbonation, but I am certain this is because of my growler distributor and not Stone.

O - This is an interesting and very solid beer. If you like IPAs and you like Belgian beers like I do, it is a no brainer. (765 characters)

A- The beer pours a bit crisper than the standard STONE IPA, the smallest hint more clear and lighter. Mott's AJ color almost to the T
S- The Columbus/Chinook/Centennial are having a slap fight with the proprietary Belgian yeast. With hops coming out victorious
T- So very similar to the STONE IPA, but with an unmistakable/very confrontational (in a good way) Belgian yeast forward. Definite hop smack though
M- Very Belgian feeling en la boca. But quick hop bitter/floral palate punch When you sip its a 'Tripel' and when it sits your mouth it's an IPA
-This is a good beer. A very easy to drink good beer, that happens to pair nicely with almost anything else you can put in your mouth. (689 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -6.5%

Pours a slightly hazy orange yellow color with a half inch of creamy off white head on top. Aromas hit first thing with citric hops that begin to conjoin with spicy, fruity, slightly funky Belgian yeast tones. Hints of caramel malt in the background along with herbal, resinous accents. Earthy.

First sip brings some slightly sweet caramel malts upfront that quickly move into a collusion of citric, resinous hops and earthy Belgian yeast flavors. Fruity, spicy and funky flavors all play a part as the beer flows down with a bit of a dryness. Bitterness from the hops kicks in full well on the back end also. Finishes with a lingering spicy, estery bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and a little more carbonated than the standard Stone IPA. Overall it goes down smooth and easily. I'm still not sold on the Belgian IPA myself and it seems to clash a bit to my taste buds. This was nice but I'd rather have the regular IPA or Ruination. (943 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -56.4%

4.33/5  rDev +8%

I really enjoyed this beer, thought that the West Coast and Europe went very well together.
A 22oz bottle poured into a tulip. Slightly hazy gold color, medium white head, a little clumpy, nice lacing.
Pretty much equal amounts earthy/yeast and floral/citrus in the aroma. They went well together.
The taste mimicked the aroma: funky/earthy with grapefruit and pine. I thought the grapefruit was the more predominant taste.
A well-constructed beer, and a pleasure to drink. (473 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -0.7%

Very light, frothy mouthfeel is misleading to the flavor of this beer. Definitely torn between the Belgian styling (whatever that means) and the hoppiness that I bought this beer for. I'm a fan of the Stone IPA, no doubt which is what led me to a bottle of this. From what I understand, that is what provides the malt for the Cali-Belg. No doubt it was enjoyable, very drinkable. (379 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +14.2%

On the bottle neck: "Enjoy by 12/01/11"
Nice pour into my Chimay chalice. Moderate head. Dissipates quickly. Golden clear appearance.
Wow factor in force. Initial impression of taste blew me away. Fantastic experience. Semi-sweet up front followed with a lemon peel back end.
A very enjoyable beer so full of flavor it's sipable without the extreme ABV. (353 characters)

Stone Cali-Belgique from Stone Brewing Co.