Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Stone Cali-Belgique - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Cali-BelgiqueStone Cali-Belgique

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian IPA |  6.90% ABV

Beer added by: gpogo on 07-23-2008

Reviews: 1,029 | Hads: 3,063
3.65/5  rDev -9%

Poured on-tap at the Stone Brewery. The beer poured with a honey-gold color, with a tall, frothy, bright white head. The beer looked like it had a heavy, almost syrupy feel to it. Citrus, Belgian spice, and resiny bitter-sweet aromas on the nose. The smell is very vibrant and full. The beer itself is bitter-sweet, with heavy malted and spiced flavors forming a backbone for the dry, pepper spiced hops profiles. The beer has a sweet and sour balanced aftertaste, with some bitter hops giving the beer a dry finish. The beer is sweeter than most IPAs, and the Belgian funk makes this one difficult to drink lots of, for my personal tastes, at least. (650 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -9%

This beer poured a golden amber with a 2 finger high off-white head. The head dissipated after about one minute. Lacing appeared thick. The initial smell of the beer is citrus, pine and an added sweetness. The initial taste of the beer was the citrus and pine, followed by a flavoring of fruits and some spice. There was something odd about the end of the beer and it may have been how the spices meshed together. This beer had a medium body with medium carbonation.

Overall, this wasn't the best Stone offering that I have tried. I like Belgian IPA's, but this one seemed alright, nothing really special, which caught me off guard for a Stone. Can't say it was bad, but I don't think I'll get this one again. (710 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -9%

22 fl oz brown bottle; served in a tulip.

Pours a clean, light copper in color with great clarity; noticeable beads of carbonation. Creamy white head that recedes after a moment leaving multiple pools of patchy foam. Thin and spotted lacing with good durability.

Semi-sweet candied sugar that melds very smoothly with a fresh, bright citrus aromas: lemon, grapefruit, pear, apricot. Hints of corriander amidst a slightly stiff, wheat character.

Intensely tart citrus and tropical fruit up front that is somewhat short lived on account of a burnt, bitter, floral hop presence. Apricot, pear, kiwi, and lemon. The corriander spice is pleasant following the fresh fruit flavors; however, the burnt-mustiness and faint candy sugar at mid-sip is bland and a slightly unpleasant. Unfortunately, there isn't much of a balance in this Belgian-IPA combo.

Medium bodied; crisp prior to the bland, candy-sweetness which turns the body somewhat dry and filmy.

The IPA 'portion' is definitely flavorful, but the Belgian yeast and sweetness hamper these highlights. Glad that I tried this offering, but next time I'll order a Ruination instead. (1,136 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -9%

Was looking for something else, they didn't have it, got this instead and it turned out to be a nice surprise. I must admit this is only my second foray into this style and I continue to be intrigued. Pours a bright and slightly hazy straw color. Decent sized white head that recedes slowly leaving some nice lacing behind. Nose is true to the label, a distinctly Belgian scent with some hops mixed in. Taste follows suit, Belgian yeast up front with a nice hoppy bitterness in the finish. I wasn't blown away but definitely a good drinkable brew, I'd be pouring another one if I had a second bomber. (600 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -9%

Poured out of a growler that was 1 week old.

Pulled the top off and there was a nice "pop". Poured into an allagash tulip. tons of carb in the pour, the head builds quick as I pour!

The smell is belgian yeast/bread/spice... followed by that signature stone hop smell!

The taste is similar. There isn't as much carb on the mouth as there was in the pour :-(
but the flavor is good. Strong hop presence that cuts through followed by agood amount of spice and bready presence. (477 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -9%

22 oz bottle no freshness date. I love reading the Stone stories on the bottles even though the small print leaves me cross eyed when I'm done. The story behind this one is Belgian yeast used to ferment what would otherwise be Stone IPA.

A- Pours a slightly hazy pale gold color into a chalice. One inch white, foamy head that clings to the glass.

S- The nose is unmistakable, the spicy Belgian yeast with the customary Stone hop blast.

T- The nose has me anticipating a Tripel but the taste is something else entirely. It starts dry and then I get the yeasty esters which add a banana flavor and a hint of honey like sweetness that turns sour at the finish. It reminds me of a Saison at this point.

M- Despite the modest head, the carbonation is fairly aggressive. The body is fairly light which adds to the Saison like quality.

O- This is an interesting mash up and I admire the brewer's adventurous spirit. It is enjoyable once you get beyond expectations of what it is supposed to taste like. It certainly defies any attempt to pigeon hole it. For my taste, I would prefer it to be either an IPA or a Belgian Ale. There is a bit of a clash between the IPA level hops and the Belgian yeast. (1,202 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -9%

A: The color of a light yellow straw, somewhat frothy and cottony head that sticks around, some spotty lacing down the side of the glass - 4.00, S: Quintessentially Belgian aromas, some clove and fruity esters, also a touch of sugar free bubblegum, the nose also showcases a range of hops that I can't necessarily decipher but I do get citrus and tropical fruits such as papaya, a very light and floral aroma all-around - 4.25, T: Obvious elements of the a Belgian yeast and an IPA - a solid hop bite which becomes even more evident as the glass warms, like the nose there is lots of tropical fruit, I also taste candied sugars, the beer is also quite dry - 3.50, M: Smooth and medium-bodied - 3.50, D: A very drinkable beer though a touch too edgy for my likings, I'm a big fan of the style of beer and Stone but this one just falls a shade short of what they generally produce - 3.50 (885 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -9.2%

a: golden orange, moderate pure-white head, nice lacing, very crisp

s: citrusy hops, yeast funk that becomes more prominent as the beer warms

t: not enough going on taste-wise to balance the yeast; odd to say about a stone brew, but this one needs more hops to be in balance

m: heavy carbonation; crisp as they come, somewhat creamy

d: more drinkable than i expected (370 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Dogfish Head IPA glass,

A - 4 - Poured a semi-translucent gold with slight tinges of orange. Colored is that of a standard domestic brew. Really nice had potential and retention on this beer, formed up a 3 finger, dense and creamy bright white colored head. Spotty lacing.
S - 3.75 - Aromas of clove, light smoke, light bubblegum from the yeast strain and VERY distant hops. Not necessarily bad or good, just odd.
T - 3.25 - A little weak on the flavor. Would make a good transitional IPA. Faint hints of Belgian yeasty. Nutty, bubblegummy spicy yeast is very faint and past this there isn't much else going on unfortunately. More bitterness would take this IPA a LONG way.
F - 4.5 - Nice, smooth and oily mouthfeel.
O - 3.75 - This is an alright IPA. This is what I called a food pairing, lawn mower and shower beer. Very sessionable and easy to throw back. If you're an absolute die hard fan of the Belgian IPA style, then you might want to seek this one our, otherwise, it isn't anything crazy special. (1,021 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -9.5%

Appearance -- Pours an bright, clear orange/amber with mounds of stiff, bubbly milky white head. Much lacing.

Smell -- Lots of Belgian yeast, clove, some banana, pine resin hops, and some bready yeasts.

Tatse -- Lot of grassy/resinous hops up front with some bread and biscuit maltiness to sweeten out the end. in the finish some clove/banana/yeastiness eeks out.

Mouthfeel -- Moderate carbonation, medium-light body, somewhat dry finish. Could've done with more carbonation.

Drinkaility -- The massive hop bittering really muted the cove/banana/yeast flavors that make belgian pales so enjoyable. Aside from the smell and the clove, it would be hard to distinguish this from a American IPA.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good beer, but I think Raging Bitch married the Belgian pale and American IPA elements a little better. Not a bad beer, but I was hoping for more. (870 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Great choice if your usual Belgian is letting u down. I prefer this in general because I live in MN & most STONE beers don't let me down. Cheers!!!!!!!! (154 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -9.5%

This one pours a moderate gold with a bit of creamy white head. There's a decent amount of lacing associated with it too. Smell's a little weak considering that this is a Stone IPA, but there's some hoppy grapefruit and a bit of yeastiness. You can tell that there's some Belgian influence here, although I'm not sure how much. It tastes very hoppy and bitter with a decent yeasty finish. It doesn't have some of the spice notes that I like in Belgians, and I think that that could be interesting in this brew. It's not bad, however, just a less aromatic, yeasted-up, watered-down version of Ruination IMO. A bit creamy with a slight dry finish. Herbal aftertaste. A good drink, but not my favorite IPA by far. (710 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -9.5%

Picked up at Total Wine on a recent visit. Poured a 22oz bottle into my Stone IPA Stemware.

This one pours a bright golden color with an orange tint. Perfect clarity. My pour brought on a two-finger dense rocky head that subsided to a cap and left a thick ring of lace. One of the best collars of foam I have seen.

The smell is somewhat unimpressive. Herbal hops are very faint. A hint of sweetness from the Belgian yeast. I much prefer the citrusy goodness of the standard IPA.

Taste is fairly decent. Nice herbal hops fill the mouth. A mild tartness and a bit dry. An interesting mix of flavors, but I could use a bit more sweetness to round out the hops.

The mouthfeel is good. A bit effervescent with a nice dry, almost mouth-puckering finish. The dryness enhances the drinkability, however I won't reach for this one all too often. Overall a good beer, but Stone has plenty better. (890 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served on tap at the Stone Bistro, like everyone else. Apparently this is an in-house brew only at this time as for my understanding. A run of their typical IPA but employing a Belgian yeast strain vs. their usual critters. Rather surprising to a non-home brewer what a difference the yeast alone can make, should my info. be accurate.

Pours a very hazy yeasty golden orange with a solid and sticky head. Smells typically of hops and adding a hint of sourness along with a touch of orange/clove. Taste is a bit confusing/unexpected with some malts initially, hints of citrus and a slight bitterness in the finish. All along the yeast dominates the nose. Drink and Mouthfeel are above average. The alcohol is less evident here than in their standard IPA offering, likely due to the effect the yeast has on the mouthfeel.

Note: This is not the collaboration brew that was produced with Alesmith and Mikeller, which is a Belgian Tripel IPA. (940 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Sam's Perfect Pint glass. Pours a dark yellow, not quite orange, close to a golden color with some cloudiness to it. Gets clearer as it warms up still a bit hazy, very little lacing on the glass. Smell is good. It's initially hoppy, then you can smell the Belgian characteristics to it. Taste is interesting, but gets better as it warms up again. Has the Belgian yeast but the initial taste the hops again, mostly citrus, maybe some slight pine at the end. Noticeable hops but not a very strong taste. Mouthfeel is pretty good, has a slight bite with a dry finish from the hops, but not bad. I found the beer to be pretty drinkable. I feel this is a beer that you really have to be careful if your drinking it with a meal, not a whole lot of options to have it with , maybe something lite. (803 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Big fan of stone and the initial smell of the beer had me excited, but I didn't think the hops and belgian style quite worked here.

Haven't had many Belgian IPAs, but Flying Dog Raging Bitch is what I would recommend if you want one. For stone I will stick to their other great IPAs if I want some hops (304 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Chalice. Enjoy by date of June 14, 2011.

Appearance: Slightly hazy burnt yellow with foamy head and pretty strong lacing.

Smell: Funky barnyard over a citrusy backbone. Smells very floral and almost sickly.

Taste: The fantastic citrusy hop taste of Stone IPA is still there, but strangely subdued and overwhelmed by the Belgian yeast, which is slightly tart, funky and clove-like.

Feel: Medium body, moderate carbonation and very dry.

Drinkability: Doesn't jive as well as I had hoped. Maybe Stone should have done more than simply take their standard IPA and add Belgian yeast. More finesse and thought was needed. (661 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This drinks like a beer that can't decide what it wants to be. It's an IPA first, with Belgian accents. That's how I would describe it. Reviewers who have called for a more assertive Belgian yeast presence hit the same chord I'm reaching for. I don't hold Belgian IPA as a style in high regard and this beer is just further evidence that some mash ups don't need to happen.

Anyone trying this beer should give it a few minutes to warm up from fridge temperature to something shy of cellar temp but still comfortably in the 40s. Belgian yeast esters are really muted at the low end of the temperature spectrum. (611 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Has a clean, consistent off-white head that diminishes calmly. Light brassy orange in color.

Fluid oily hop notes from the top of the glass. Lemon, orange rind and a hint of grapefruit. Yeast and spice mixed in. Complex.

Grain and citrus up front. Light bodied and thin. Mostly dry. Has a bitter bottom end that has a hint of staleness (might have been on the shelf too long).

Good take on the style that proves you don't always need in-your-face to get tasty. (470 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours a beautiful orange-amber with a nice fluffy white cap atop its head. Nice lacing patterns down the side. Very pretty.

S - The nose has a little bit of funk but is mostly dominated by pine and citrus hops. Very dry. No real malt.

T - The barnyard comes out a bit more in the taste, although the hops are still there. Still no malt.

M - Not bad, decent carbonation.

D - This beer is drinkable enough, I just don't know if I'd WANT to drink more. It's really dry with not too much flavor so that's a combination that won't keep me coming back for more.

Overall, not a horrible beer, but I've had better Belgian IPAs. (629 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -10.2%

A: Slightly cloudy amber color with a nice head and decent retention and lacing.

S: Very interesting yeasty in that typical Belgian way, but with slight citrus hoppiness in there too. Makes sense I guess. ;)

MF: Medium body with that prickly gassy belgian quality,

T: There is some bready malt, but that is quickly dominated by the yeasty-ness. I found some hoppiness in there of course, but the yeast was too much.

Overall: I split this with a friend and I'm glad I did. I don't think I would've finished the whole bomber. It certainly is interesting, but I'm generally not a huge fan of the Duvel style Belgians and this was too much of that for me. I'm trying to be fair in my grade as this was something I wanted to try, but the style is not for me. (758 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle into my FW snifter glass
Notes taken from 05/03/14

A: Crystal clear light amber honey look. Tiny streaming bubbles are present producing about a half finger of cream colored suds. Moderate retention with a few streaks and dots of lace left clinging to the glass.

S: Minty herbal hops and banana like esters on the nose. I get some apricot like stone fruit action with a twist of citrus and some coriander type spices. Has a sweet breadiness to it from the pale and caramel malts. Interesting mix and the phenols are fairly strong. Not bad but definitely different.

T: Big peppery bitterness with dashes of citrus fruit and some menthol notes. Banana, bubblegum, and clove spice are all there with a touch of caramel sweetness. Man there is a lot going on here. I get some fruity apricot and a lemony tartness as well. The phenols are super sharp and almost smoky at times and the alcohol kicks in towards the finish. Not really a fan of this one.

M: The body is moderate and slightly filling but tends to land closer to the lighter side. Nearing astringent form the high hop bitterness and sharp yeast phenols. Dash of alcohol warmth. Finish has a solid drying effort with a slight resinous after affect.

D: Not a huge fan of this one. It’s not necessarily flawed but is a bit disjointed with too much going on for my liking. The 22oz was a bit of a chore and I don’t like doing chores without some type of reward. (1,438 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -10.2%

Slight haze to an otherwise golden color. Moderate lasting head with a significant amount of spotty lace on the glass.

High fresh grapefruit-like hop aroma; background alcohol with light malt.

A dry brew with a high amount of hop. The aftertaste is long-lasting bitter hop. Relatively thin body with an above average level of carbonation. Lip puckeringly astringent. (368 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -10.2%

Had this one the other day after work. Poured a golden orange color with white head that faded quick and left good lacing. Smelled of yeast, fruit, hops and malt. Tasted yeasty, with fruit and a light hops kick. Fairly smooth. Some interesting flavors here, but the combination doesn't suit me very well. (304 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -10.2%

Draft poured a bone white head that was very quick to disperse. Pale orange and straw color that is clear.

Aromas are of the citrus variety representing a nice orange and piney hop aroma with a nice spice background of coriander and pine.

Bitter orange peel and earthy hops are pronounced followed by a surprisingly suble yeast influence and a nice amount of burnt caramel. Overall it's a easy drinker but I have not been overwhelmed by it's flavor. There was a faint chalky taste but I don't attribute that to the beer. (524 characters)

Stone Cali-Belgique from Stone Brewing Co.