Stone Cali-Belgique - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Cali-BelgiqueStone Cali-Belgique

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian IPA |  6.90% ABV

Beer added by: gpogo on 07-23-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Cali-Belgique Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,993 | Reviews: 1,043
2.84/5  rDev -28.6%

A - Nice appearance. A beautiful dark amber color. Very clear.

S - Hoppy. A little too hoppy for me. It comes down to personal preference, but I was slightly off put by how strong it was.

T - As with the smell, the hops taste was strong. At first it sucks you in, you're thinking it's not too prevalent, but then it kicks it up. If you're a strong IPA drinker, it's for you.

M - Comes out bitter in the end. Too bitter. Again, it's not my cup of tea.

O - It comes down to personal preference. Not a beer I'd try again, but I can see it's charms with other drinkers.

2.93/5  rDev -26.4%

22 oz bottle. Pours a clear golden orange with a huge creamy white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is earthy muddy peppery hops and yeast with some bubble gum and cotton candy.

The flavor is lots of flowery soapy spices, bubble gum, and peppery hops with a big bitterness in the finish. A little fruitiness comes out as it warms. The mouthfeel is medium to full and is very velvety and creamy.

Overall, it is interesting and unusual. I didn't really care for the soapy bubble gum and bitter blend. It was a little reminiscent of a British nitro ale.

A solid IPA nice burst of hop flavor

Pours a hazy golden-amber, nice Belgian look to it. Tight bubbles make and light white head. Head dissipates disappointingly quickly and there is not much lacing.

Smell is ... Belgian for sure. Kinda sour and sweet, I get a decent amount of citrus from the hops/yeast combo. A little alcohol mixed in there as well.

Taste is disappointing for me. Somewhat bitter, but no real bite. No real fruitiness from the hops, which is a disappointment given the "Cali" in the title. I am not digging what I'm getting from the yeast, was more appealing in the nose than it was on the tongue. Maybe it's as it should be, but to me it tastes a little funky/sour.

Mouthfeel is quite similar to lightly carbonated fruit juice. A disappointment. Drinkability, is low for me but other may enjoy. I've got a little ways to go to finish this bomber.

Overall this is a miss for me. Perhaps freshness was an issue, given the sensitivity of highly hopped beers. Maybe this is a world class example of the style or maybe it just isn't for me.

The bitter, resin hops doesn't mix well with the subtler dry malt / earthy tones of the Belgian style. Hop ends up overpowering it and the combo comes off like a stale ipa.

Light honey in color. An ok cream colored head. Has a good body and seems to hold well enough.

American citrus grape fruit hopes mixed with Belgium yeast. The end result is a fruity assault on the nose that then finishes with a touch of spice. So expect orange, lemon, bubble gym, clove, and other spices in this one

This beer is a touch past the best by date but with stone this happens so often I find it hard to demand the freshest beers. Anything fresher than 6 months I'll accept unless it's Ruination since that's just awful "aged." As a result the hops are not dominating this beer like they should and I believe normally do. The end result is bitter but not hop flavored belgium spice. It doesn't work that well. Sadly this doesn't stand up to the 08 vertical epic even aged. I have to give stone credit for what they're doing here, but the malt profile just wasn't done well enough.

Medium body with a clear alcohol presence. A touch heavy imo.

I can't see drinking too many of these either. It's just too thick and the taste is enjoyable but nothing to force you back to the glass for another sip over and over again.

this one was just ok for me. im starting to get into the belgian ipa thing but lagunitas little sumpin wild is alot better. maybe this bottle little old the hops are not the usual stone in your face, the bubblegum flavor not as tasty here, too refined. pass on this one.

3.02/5  rDev -24.1%

A blond pour, with a thick rocky white head. Constant activity in the glass, releasing bubbles upward to freedom. Head drops pretty rapidly, laving scant lacing.

Mostly lemon in the nose, with a citrus undercurrent. A yeast scent down there, bready and heady.

As in the aroma, lemon and citrus, though faint, are detected. Yeast comes in with a bubblegum sweetness, and a light pale malt flavor. Everything is less than impressive however, and somewhat subtle. Not what I've come to expect from Stone. And moreover, nothing to write home about.

Mouthfeel is thin, with a sweet finish.

Drinkability is low for me, I just didn't care for this too much.

3.02/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Too cloves for my taste

3.04/5  rDev -23.6%

Tastes like an ok IPA to me. Where's the Belgian yeast? Where's the complexity of flavor?
One-dimensional, leaves a bitter aftertaste I don't like. The bottle was cheap, so that's at least one good thing about it. Not gonna drink the rest. When will I learn to stop taking advice from Binny's employees?

3.06/5  rDev -23.1%

I know this beer is rated well but it's not for me. I need more of the classic american ipa flavors. Too much "European" influence for my taste. Sorry Stone, but this is the first one of your beers that I will not be trying again.

3.07/5  rDev -22.9%

Was looking forward to trying this after enjoying Le Freak.

Pours a very light color, almost weak looking, with a very small head.

Smell is nice, with Belgian trippel scents dominating - yeast and spices. There is a slight hop aroma.

The taste to me is somewhat odd. The beer constantly vacillates between bitter and sweet, the IPA and the trippel. First I taste the bitterness of the hops, which subsides to a sweeter trippel flavor before leaving a pretty strong bitter aftertaste reminiscent of an IPA.

An interesting experiment, but one that unfortunately did not create a great beer, IMO. Definitely worth checking out to sate the curiosity. At roughly $5, why not, you get a buzz out of the deal. However, this will not be a beer I will seek out again.

3.08/5  rDev -22.6%

Unless I'm mistaken, they ended up naming this beer "Cali-Belgique." I sampled it at the Stone Sour Fest.

Poured a bright orange gold with a whiote soap foam head. Smells like citrus and yeast. The taste is a bit more balanced, but still overwhelmingly yeasty with a citrus zest. Really astringent, and not particularly drinkable.

Not my fave.

enjoy by 05-10-11

pours clear bright goldenorange with a 1/2 finger white head that left some spotted lacing

smells - not strong but fruity funky a little bready

taste is very saison like but has a sour tartness to it - not very spicey and not very ipa not a lot of flavor

mouthfeel is light with good carbonation - very drinkable

overall - very underwhelmed - i might revisit this one later but after this first impression i would not recommend it

3.1/5  rDev -22.1%

Distinctly Belgian in taste. Palate cleanser on the finish. Lighter in color with vegetal aroma . Grapefruit in the finish.

3.1/5  rDev -22.1%

Clear orange amber with a foamy/frothy off-white head and good retention. Pine-floral aroma with a yeast backdrop. Floral and pine hop bitterness. Extensive saltiness. Balanced sweetness at forst shifts to bitterness. Light bitter linger. Smooth feel with a bite.

I remember enjoying this much more previously. Perhaps it was mishandled since it was best before 4/22/11. Overwhelmingly saltiness makes for a more basic, strong IPA with only minor yeast qualities. I'm going to have to search for a fresh one on this as it didn't compare to Le Freak.

3.1/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

750ml poured into a Westvleteren Goblet.

Pours a light gold color with no head. The lack of head (despite a straight pour) was surprising, especially considering the Belgian influence in this beer. Nevertheless, the color of the beer was appealing, and it looked inviting.

The nose was unexciting. It smelled like a stereotypical Belgian tripel: lots of Belgian yeasts and bread. I got no hops in the nose.

The taste was certainly unique, and resembled a sour Belgian tripel with hops. The Belgian yeasts dominate while the hops provide counterpoint. There are flavors of freshly baked bread and strawberries. No finish to speak of: once it's swallowed, it's gone.

I was generally unimpressed with this beer. Although I like many of Stone's other offerings, this seemed to fall quite short. It was too sour and bitter to be overly drinkable, and while I enjoy a hoppy, bitter beer, these hops seemed to give it more of an "off" taste. If you're looking for a Belgian IPA, stick to La Chouffe or Le Freak.

3.15/5  rDev -20.9%

A- this beer is like a slightly darker budweiser in color. But to me what gives it extra points is the head. It's foamy a sticks all over my pint glass. Very tiny bubbles coming from the bottom of the glass at all times.

S- when I smell this beer I smell apples and some lemon and banana, with some hints of some hop. Defiantly strikes me as a belgium beer, and defiantly smells likes it will be good.

T- the taste if this beer is dry, and has a firm Belgium flavor. I definatky taste apple lemon and bitter hopsand little bit of spice. The hops come in later and leave a lingering bitterness in my mouth. I really like hoppy beers and especially stone, but this one is not my favorite tasting. However it is still a solid beer anqd great interpretation, and anyone who is looking for something different should give it a try.

It's a good beer and I'm glad I got to try it while it was out. just not my specific taste.

3.17/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

too much Belgian....not enough IPA.

3.17/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

BA says I have to submit a review due to a statistical outlier.

3.18/5  rDev -20.1%

22oz bottle
Amber with golden highlights, lively carbonation and solid one finger head. Smells like belgium yeast and fruity hops. Taste of tangerine, grapefruit, hops and carmel. Bitter finish. Doesn't taste bad but just not what I was hoping from this beer. Its like the beer doesn't know what it wants to be.

3.21/5  rDev -19.3%

Appearance: Poured an almost perfectly clear orange-gold color, decent head about two fingers worth when first poured, stayed at about a fingers worth throughout drinking it.

Aroma: Very hoppy smelling, and I could pick up on a slight fruitiness but it was very hard to pick out over the hops. Smelled a little stronger than other IPAs I have had.

Taste: Citrus with some very light bready flavors. A bit of a pine aftertaste.

Mouth feel: Very high carbonation, but I guess that comes with this style of beer.

Drinkability: Not my favorite beer from stone, but still a great beer

3.21/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

08/22/12 On tap. Part of flight of Stone's stuff, this is the lighter entry at a mere 6.9%. Much lighter mouth feel than the others. I swear as it passed under my nose I caught a hint of Bologna/Bratwurst...I know...I know, but that's what I got.

Research leans toward Belgian yeast & saisson styling and who am I to argue?

3.25/5  rDev -18.3%

had this at a stone beer tasting event.

Prefer more the hoppy/ipa style beers.

a: yellow

s: slight skunky heinekin notes, which i'm not a fan of

t: ok

mf: ok

overall: will focus on other beers in the stone offering. FYI: this was my wife's favorite beer of the bunch.

3.25/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

It had a little had light carbonination. Its a very light in tast but still has good aroma to a little out doors tast to it with a belgian wheet. The hops were a little weak but still had a little critus tang to it . No date on the bottle which was odd, but for the price it wasnt bad.

Stone Cali-Belgique from Stone Brewing Co.