Stone Cali-Belgique - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Cali-BelgiqueStone Cali-Belgique

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian IPA |  6.90% ABV

Beer added by: gpogo on 07-23-2008

Reviews: 1,021 | Hads: 3,026

Pours a hazy golden-amber, nice Belgian look to it. Tight bubbles make and light white head. Head dissipates disappointingly quickly and there is not much lacing.

Smell is ... Belgian for sure. Kinda sour and sweet, I get a decent amount of citrus from the hops/yeast combo. A little alcohol mixed in there as well.

Taste is disappointing for me. Somewhat bitter, but no real bite. No real fruitiness from the hops, which is a disappointment given the "Cali" in the title. I am not digging what I'm getting from the yeast, was more appealing in the nose than it was on the tongue. Maybe it's as it should be, but to me it tastes a little funky/sour.

Mouthfeel is quite similar to lightly carbonated fruit juice. A disappointment. Drinkability, is low for me but other may enjoy. I've got a little ways to go to finish this bomber.

Overall this is a miss for me. Perhaps freshness was an issue, given the sensitivity of highly hopped beers. Maybe this is a world class example of the style or maybe it just isn't for me. (1,024 characters)

The bitter, resin hops doesn't mix well with the subtler dry malt / earthy tones of the Belgian style. Hop ends up overpowering it and the combo comes off like a stale ipa. (173 characters)

Light honey in color. An ok cream colored head. Has a good body and seems to hold well enough.

American citrus grape fruit hopes mixed with Belgium yeast. The end result is a fruity assault on the nose that then finishes with a touch of spice. So expect orange, lemon, bubble gym, clove, and other spices in this one

This beer is a touch past the best by date but with stone this happens so often I find it hard to demand the freshest beers. Anything fresher than 6 months I'll accept unless it's Ruination since that's just awful "aged." As a result the hops are not dominating this beer like they should and I believe normally do. The end result is bitter but not hop flavored belgium spice. It doesn't work that well. Sadly this doesn't stand up to the 08 vertical epic even aged. I have to give stone credit for what they're doing here, but the malt profile just wasn't done well enough.

Medium body with a clear alcohol presence. A touch heavy imo.

I can't see drinking too many of these either. It's just too thick and the taste is enjoyable but nothing to force you back to the glass for another sip over and over again. (1,131 characters)

this one was just ok for me. im starting to get into the belgian ipa thing but lagunitas little sumpin wild is alot better. maybe this bottle little old the hops are not the usual stone in your face, the bubblegum flavor not as tasty here, too refined. pass on this one. (270 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -24.7%

A blond pour, with a thick rocky white head. Constant activity in the glass, releasing bubbles upward to freedom. Head drops pretty rapidly, laving scant lacing.

Mostly lemon in the nose, with a citrus undercurrent. A yeast scent down there, bready and heady.

As in the aroma, lemon and citrus, though faint, are detected. Yeast comes in with a bubblegum sweetness, and a light pale malt flavor. Everything is less than impressive however, and somewhat subtle. Not what I've come to expect from Stone. And moreover, nothing to write home about.

Mouthfeel is thin, with a sweet finish.

Drinkability is low for me, I just didn't care for this too much. (654 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -24.2%

Tastes like an ok IPA to me. Where's the Belgian yeast? Where's the complexity of flavor?
One-dimensional, leaves a bitter aftertaste I don't like. The bottle was cheap, so that's at least one good thing about it. Not gonna drink the rest. When will I learn to stop taking advice from Binny's employees? (304 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -23.7%

I know this beer is rated well but it's not for me. I need more of the classic american ipa flavors. Too much "European" influence for my taste. Sorry Stone, but this is the first one of your beers that I will not be trying again. (230 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -23.4%

Was looking forward to trying this after enjoying Le Freak.

Pours a very light color, almost weak looking, with a very small head.

Smell is nice, with Belgian trippel scents dominating - yeast and spices. There is a slight hop aroma.

The taste to me is somewhat odd. The beer constantly vacillates between bitter and sweet, the IPA and the trippel. First I taste the bitterness of the hops, which subsides to a sweeter trippel flavor before leaving a pretty strong bitter aftertaste reminiscent of an IPA.

An interesting experiment, but one that unfortunately did not create a great beer, IMO. Definitely worth checking out to sate the curiosity. At roughly $5, why not, you get a buzz out of the deal. However, this will not be a beer I will seek out again. (763 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -23.2%

Unless I'm mistaken, they ended up naming this beer "Cali-Belgique." I sampled it at the Stone Sour Fest.

Poured a bright orange gold with a whiote soap foam head. Smells like citrus and yeast. The taste is a bit more balanced, but still overwhelmingly yeasty with a citrus zest. Really astringent, and not particularly drinkable.

Not my fave. (345 characters)

enjoy by 05-10-11

pours clear bright goldenorange with a 1/2 finger white head that left some spotted lacing

smells - not strong but fruity funky a little bready

taste is very saison like but has a sour tartness to it - not very spicey and not very ipa not a lot of flavor

mouthfeel is light with good carbonation - very drinkable

overall - very underwhelmed - i might revisit this one later but after this first impression i would not recommend it (454 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -22.7%

Clear orange amber with a foamy/frothy off-white head and good retention. Pine-floral aroma with a yeast backdrop. Floral and pine hop bitterness. Extensive saltiness. Balanced sweetness at forst shifts to bitterness. Light bitter linger. Smooth feel with a bite.

I remember enjoying this much more previously. Perhaps it was mishandled since it was best before 4/22/11. Overwhelmingly saltiness makes for a more basic, strong IPA with only minor yeast qualities. I'm going to have to search for a fresh one on this as it didn't compare to Le Freak. (550 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

750ml poured into a Westvleteren Goblet.

Pours a light gold color with no head. The lack of head (despite a straight pour) was surprising, especially considering the Belgian influence in this beer. Nevertheless, the color of the beer was appealing, and it looked inviting.

The nose was unexciting. It smelled like a stereotypical Belgian tripel: lots of Belgian yeasts and bread. I got no hops in the nose.

The taste was certainly unique, and resembled a sour Belgian tripel with hops. The Belgian yeasts dominate while the hops provide counterpoint. There are flavors of freshly baked bread and strawberries. No finish to speak of: once it's swallowed, it's gone.

I was generally unimpressed with this beer. Although I like many of Stone's other offerings, this seemed to fall quite short. It was too sour and bitter to be overly drinkable, and while I enjoy a hoppy, bitter beer, these hops seemed to give it more of an "off" taste. If you're looking for a Belgian IPA, stick to La Chouffe or Le Freak. (1,008 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -21.4%

A- this beer is like a slightly darker budweiser in color. But to me what gives it extra points is the head. It's foamy a sticks all over my pint glass. Very tiny bubbles coming from the bottom of the glass at all times.

S- when I smell this beer I smell apples and some lemon and banana, with some hints of some hop. Defiantly strikes me as a belgium beer, and defiantly smells likes it will be good.

T- the taste if this beer is dry, and has a firm Belgium flavor. I definatky taste apple lemon and bitter hopsand little bit of spice. The hops come in later and leave a lingering bitterness in my mouth. I really like hoppy beers and especially stone, but this one is not my favorite tasting. However it is still a solid beer anqd great interpretation, and anyone who is looking for something different should give it a try.

It's a good beer and I'm glad I got to try it while it was out. just not my specific taste. (921 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -20.7%

22oz bottle
Amber with golden highlights, lively carbonation and solid one finger head. Smells like belgium yeast and fruity hops. Taste of tangerine, grapefruit, hops and carmel. Bitter finish. Doesn't taste bad but just not what I was hoping from this beer. Its like the beer doesn't know what it wants to be. (311 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -20%

Appearance: Poured an almost perfectly clear orange-gold color, decent head about two fingers worth when first poured, stayed at about a fingers worth throughout drinking it.

Aroma: Very hoppy smelling, and I could pick up on a slight fruitiness but it was very hard to pick out over the hops. Smelled a little stronger than other IPAs I have had.

Taste: Citrus with some very light bready flavors. A bit of a pine aftertaste.

Mouth feel: Very high carbonation, but I guess that comes with this style of beer.

Drinkability: Not my favorite beer from stone, but still a great beer (583 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -20%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

08/22/12 On tap. Part of flight of Stone's stuff, this is the lighter entry at a mere 6.9%. Much lighter mouth feel than the others. I swear as it passed under my nose I caught a hint of Bologna/Bratwurst...I know...I know, but that's what I got.

Research leans toward Belgian yeast & saisson styling and who am I to argue? (325 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -19%

had this at a stone beer tasting event.

Prefer more the hoppy/ipa style beers.

a: yellow

s: slight skunky heinekin notes, which i'm not a fan of

t: ok

mf: ok

overall: will focus on other beers in the stone offering. FYI: this was my wife's favorite beer of the bunch. (273 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -19%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

It had a little had light carbonination. Its a very light in tast but still has good aroma to a little out doors tast to it with a belgian wheet. The hops were a little weak but still had a little critus tang to it . No date on the bottle which was odd, but for the price it wasnt bad. (285 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -18.7%

On tap at Stone World Bistro in Escondido, CA. Served in a stemmed glass 12/14/14.

A- Clear yellow body, two finger white head with long retention time, very nice lacing and longevity. Nice film. Looks like a clear, filtered version of Stone IPA.

S- Unlike Stone IPA though, this is dominated by the Belgian yeast. Esters, minerals, cloves, caramel. Smells very weird and not what I would expect from any kind of IPA.

F- This doesn't work for me. Bitter pine mixed in with banana and cloves from the yeast. Dry, caramel pale malt sweetness. I don't know, it could certainly work for some people but it isn't something that I find to be an effective combination.

M- Medium bodied, similar to Stone IPA, nice crisp mouthfeel that is both dry and refreshing. Finish is that odd mineral-forward Belgian flavour mixed in with pine bitterness.

O- The Belgian yeast just doesn't work for me here. Much rather have the regular Stone IPA than the Belgian counterpart. It's still cool to see as the effects of the particular yeast you use in a beer, because the rest of the beer is identical to Stone IPA. The yeast can really change things up, and in a way it's a cool accident that Stone accidentally pitched in Belgian yeast into a batch of Stone IPA and are now making this year-round.

Final score: 3.23 (1,303 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -18.5%

On the light side for an IPA--perhaps that involves the Belgian yeast? The head is thin but solid, and the retention is excellent.

I'm ordinarily a big fan of belgian aromas, and this one smells much more like an IPA. Without detecting what's usually a distinct Belgian smell, it offers more of a citrusy effect. Nothing extraordinary, but certainly pleasant.

Ooooh--I can taste the Belgian aspect. Having already disclosed I'm more of an IPA guy, I'm a little let down after my wafting. Where the smell is only subtlely Belgian, the taste is only subtlely IPA. Since "Belgian" is only an adjective describing the main "IPA" noun, I've got to judge this here beer relative to IPAs.

Belgian yeasts and quality carbonation combine for a good mouthfeel. It's almost like an alka-seltzer the way it fizzes and cleanses the palate. This effect would make the Cali-Belgique an effective transition beer among different foods and drinks.

The beer is easy to drink, and it's appropriate for just about any occasion. Thing is, it'd have to taste better to go to it more consistently. (1,081 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

26 days old (bottled 03/01) - calculated by subtacting 120 days from exp. date of 6/29/2013 (according to Stone's website).

A: Copper color. Clear. Small head.
S: Sweet spices dominate: clove, pepper. I actually don't sense the usual hop flavors: citrus or pine. Bubble gum.
T: Some sugary sweetness.Bready maltiness. Slight acidic tang.
M: Medium-light, definitely on the light side of the style.
O: I would classify this as a Belgian Pale Ale more than an IPA because I don't sense much hop aroma or flavor. Nothing offensive about it, just not crazy about the flavors. (573 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -18.5%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a nonic. No date stamp, but bought from a generally reputable retailer.

This brew pours a very hazy apricot color crested with three fingers of head that leaves nice retention and lacing. The aroma is a nice mix between some Belgian yeast funkiness and some nice west-coast hop dankness. Citrus aspects are also noted. The taste is a little less balanced then I thought, the Belgian aspects are really the stars of the shows here. There's a bit of a nice hop kick in the center, but the slightly funky Belgian yeast and fruity ester qualities really dominates the start and finish of this brew. More hops, please.

The mouthfeel is pretty good, it's firmly carbonated and a bit light on the mouth, and the drinkability suffers just a little bit from the Belgian dominance. Overall, still not my favourite style. I wish there was more of a focus on the IPA side of the "Belgian IPA" equation. (923 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -18.5%

Bomber poured into a Three Philosophers mini snifter.

Appearance - Clear bronze-copper. Small white head.

Smell - Sour apple. Almost like a Flemish. Don't know how to interpret this. Stale bottle or innovative style? I'll take it for what it's worth.

Taste - A cross between an IPA and a Flemish sour. Both characters being mild. Weird and interesting.

Mouthfeel - Watery. Acidic.

Overall Drinkability -There's no real style or frame of reference by which to grade this. They apparentlycall it an IPA but it's not like any I've had. I'll have to simply rate it on sheer enjoyment factor, and there it does well. (616 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -18.2%

At OBF

A - Poured light golden with a 1 fingered head white head. Dissipated slow and left no lacing.

S - Light honey and flowers.

T - Light honey, flowers, heavy mint, and a little funk. Possibly from yeast.

M - Moderate bodied and hop dominated.

D - The flowers and mint dominated this beer, which was really too much for my personal tastes. Crafting a good Belg-IPA is such a fine art. (393 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -17.7%

Hadn't heard of this one in Stone's line-up upon seeing a bottle, price was right, so here we are. Pours somewhere between a dingy gold and a highly bright copper with very little visible carbonation, firm two inches of creamy white head a thin layer of which is VERY persistent.

The usual piney IPA smell is first, followed by lemon and something like pineapple. Faint candy in the background too. Swig...

The citrus notes are surprisingly obvious, even for a style that is pretty deeply associated with that kind of hop character. Yet it doesn't get annoying; oddly enough, the amped up dryness cuts in rather well. Speaking of which, the bitterness is more imparted by being dry than by being hoppy. There was little fizz in the pour, and there is little fizz in the go-down, which is oily.

I think there's two ways something like this has to be judged: accuracy of style, and simple beer-as-beer. Stone's stated intention (it's right on the bottle) is California-meets-Belgium, and on that I think they could've used a touch more west coast g-funk. On beer-as-beer merits, it still works though. I averaged the two. (1,123 characters)

Stone Cali-Belgique from Stone Brewing Co.