Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Stone Cali-Belgique - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Cali-BelgiqueStone Cali-Belgique

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian IPA |  6.90% ABV

Beer added by: gpogo on 07-23-2008

Reviews: 1,029 | Hads: 3,064
3.3/5  rDev -17.7%

poured into a perfect pint

pours a clear gold with a off white head. not to much head, not to much lace, but some tints in the hue, somewhat copper toned.

smells hoppy and yeasty. some nice mix of fruits.

bitter and hoppy, but not what i come to expect from stone. not enough bite. i loved ruination and ipa, but this is a bit to weak. obviously its a belgain ipa, but i wanted a more refined taste. still, good. light body. pretty easy to drink. (449 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

an american distinctly. pours clear with a yellow/orange hue and a head of two fingers. american foam. not tight. not much lace either. nose of belgian sugar and pineapple. palate of something along those lines but the sugar has a plastic resin quality with the hops. grit hush quality and apricot. hoppy but muted by a abnormal sweet that doesn't add but disorients the palate. i love this style. i am sympathizing that maybe the bottle was infected. but it was complete average. worst stone i've had. (502 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22-oz. bomber into a smaller class at the Courtyard Marriott in Culver City, Calif. Less than a finger of head. Color was honey pale. Light layer of gray lacing that wanted to stay, but was slowly evaporating. Light layer of soapy film on the sides.

Fruit dominated the initial smell. Got apple first with some pear, grapes and kiwi knocking on the door. Some rotten fruit as well.

Tasted pretty close to the smell, albeit a bit skunkier. Got some bitterness in there as well. Apple leading the way still. Some light pear as well.

Light body. Creamy texture. Average-to-soft carbonation. Bitter finish.

An OK beer, but nothing special. I will say that it had the “Stone” feel to it, but I just wasn’t into it from the start. (749 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -17.5%

Poured section of Cali-Belgique bomber into a pint glass:

A: Definitely appears to be an IPA. It's that perfect yellow/orange color that gets you excited. A great 2-finger head materializes, and sparse bubbles congregate around the edge of the glass. Exquisite retention; lacing is full and frothy.

S: I expect the familiar hops and citrus I've come to love, but instead there's the peppery, earthy smell distinctive to Belgian white ales. The hops and citrus are buried. I'm curious for a taste...

T: As expected from the smell: peppery, smokey, kind of burnt flavor. The IPA flavor is subtle and takes over more towards the end. After a few sips it grows on you.

M: Superb. Everything I look for is here: excellent flavor transfer, light/medium body, and dry finish.

O: This was a very interesting experience for me. Ultimately though, I think I'll stick to normal IPAs. Definitely something to check out, but not really for me. (936 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -17.2%

A- Pours a hazy amber/straw color with orange hues and 2-3 fingers of dense head that leaves clumps of lacing throughout.

S- Wow, I have to say that Belgian IPA's really smell great... Nice sweet caramel malt and bready yeast finished with a shit-ton of floral hops, only way stone knows how, but these hops are different than typical Stone hops, much lighter floral scents.

T- Immediate trippel taste, and wham bitter floral/earthy hoppy IPA taste followed by a slight caramel malt and bready yeast... I guess I just am not a fan of the style, stick to one style and to it well...

M- Medium body with ample fluffy carbonation and a decent dry finish.

D- I love IPA's and I like Belgian Trippel's, however, I cannot explain my discontent for blending the two I find them not enjoyable at all... (798 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -17.2%

Brilliantly clear, deep golden color. Pours a nice sized white head, creamy and with good retention.

Solventy pepper aroma. Almost medicinal in a cough syrup kind of sense. Belgian aromas dominate any hop aromas for me.

Slightly sweet phenolic character at start, again a bit medicinal. Nice peppery spiciness, and some piney hop flavors. Finishes with an assertive hop bitterness still coated with a peppery Belgian character.

MF - Medium body and carbonation, no astringency, minimal alcohol warming.

Overall - The merging of styles detracted rather than enhanced it for me. Some of the aroma and flavor character struck me as unpleasant. I'd take a conventionally made Stone IPA over this one. (701 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Got this as part of the Deschutes sampler pack. Not typically a fan of white IPAs but I tried it anyway and it was a great choice

A - Bright golden color that is crystal clear. Brilliant fluffy white head with strong lacing. It looks really good.

S - Huge Belgian character. Very spicy with a herbal and floral bouquet. I can't pick up on any of the American hops that I thought would be in this beer.

T - Upfront Belgian Blond beer carries throughout with that spice character, phenolic, and grain. There is some hops there with some slight unripened orange peel, herbal, resin, and some floral. There is a light grain sweetness but it is overtaken with the Belgian yeast and the bitterness of the hops.

M - Low mouth-feel with moderate carbonation. It is crisp and bitter on the finish which would make it a very good drinking beer if you really enjoy the Belgian character.

Overall, this beer is the worst Belgian IPA that I've had so far. It is just all Belgian and almost no hops. I really don't enjoy just the Belgian character but do enjoy all the other esters and flavors that go with a Chimay or Unibroue. In the future I hope they add more American hops like most of the beers of this style already have. I would not recommend this unless you like bitter and love Belgian beers.

Glass- Tulip (1,308 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -16.7%

22 oz. bomber,

A: Pours yellow with a medium, somewhat fizzy white head, fair retention, doesn't have good lacing like I would expect in a Belgian or an IPA.

S: Dominated by citrus, get a lot of tangerine, citrus, pineapple, and an earthy Belgian yeast kick, light pepper.

T: Has a strong grapefruit orange character that the regular Stone IPA has. Belgian character is there with bitter spice, pepper, and definite bubblegum esters at the end.

M: Medium body with a mild prickly carbonation on the tongue. Too astringent at times.

D: An interesting beer, but in the end I wasn't a huge fan of it, I didn't think the flavours blended well enough together and the hop character got unappetizingly bitter after a while. A nice experiment, I could see myself trying it again, but wont be a go to beer from Stone. (814 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -16.5%

pours a clear golden color with a good sized white head. Nice strong lacing. At first smell I pick up a ton of hops but after while they become overpowered by the belgian yeast. Once I pull away and go back to it I get a blend of both. It's citrusy and piney, almost like someone poured a tripel into an IPA. The taste is vastly different from the smell. It's unlike anything I've had. At first I'm a little confused then strong grapefruit breaks through and an almost grassy undertone. Mouthfeel is much thinner than I would have expected or wanted. It's also a little flatter than I would have liked as well. Drinkability is decent. This is a different beer and I'm glad I tried it. It's only my second in the style and has me intrigued enough to try others, but I don't know how much I'll be going back to this one. (818 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -16.5%

Had on tap at Daily Pint
Poured a very bright orange color with a white head. Smells like citrus and yeast. The taste is a bit more balanced, but still very yeasty with a citrus kick. I thought it was a little tart at the end. Drinkability is low. Just strange but good. (270 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -16.2%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a Dogfish Head Signature glass.

A: Pours a crystal clear amber hued orange color. Aggressive pour at first warned of huge head so I backed it down and got about a two finger rocky white head that disappeared quickly to a whispy layer. Lacing is spotty.

S: Nothing is too overpowering, slight hop presence, definite Belgian bread-yeast profile and if I had to pick one aroma that stood out, it would probably be this one but I'm not sure it's fits in with the rest of the smells.

T: Falls in line with the aroma, again nothing is outstanding, all pretty toned down flavors. Slightly more balanced than the smell.

M: Creamy feel, hop oils coat the mouth nicely. Ample carbonation.

O: Man, this is a pretty average beer all around. I was really looking forward to this one as I love a good Belgian IPA and this one just felt so safe. I feel like Stone could have taken a few shots with this one and just didn't. I won't be seeking this one out again. (984 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -16.2%

Hazy, pumpkin orange in color, poured from bomber into Carolus tulip glass. Very little head.

Belgian yeast aroma. Very little else coming through. Some faint apple.

Apple juice right off the bat, very little bittering. Honey. Slightly cloying. Hmm. I must have bought a bad bottle. Not impressed. Some lemon zest.

Under carbonated, thick, like a cider.

Overall, not horrible. But I was expecting way more.

Side note:

Let it warm up, and the idea became clearer. Still overwhelming apple cider to it. Thin carbonation. Thick mouthfeel. Obscure to say the least. Having said all of that, I keep drinking it. Hmmm.

I'm gonna buy this again, from a different store, and give this beer review another go. (707 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a nice yellow with a touch of orange. Fair amount of carbonation, and forms a 1 finger off white head.

Not a lot of smell to this one, mainly malt with a touch of floral. I was surprised to detect as much malt as I did.

Malt seems to be the first thing I taste, followed by a bit of citrus, then the hops kick in. Not overly complex, but the flavors are nicely balanced with the exception of the hops, who assert themselves at the end.

Not a bad feel to this one, pretty solid.

First off, I will say that the IPA is probably my least favorite style of beer. That being said, this one is a pretty good beer overall. There is a pronounced hops flavor to this, but not to the point of being overwhelming. The other flavors help balance it out, making this one of the better IPAs I have tried. (800 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -15.7%

Well, this looks identical to Stone IPA. Light orange, almost yellow with a white head. The smell is immediately different, still very hoppy, bubblegum, and belgian yeast, spicy. The taste is bitter hops and not much else.The belgian influence is very subdued. This was interesting and I'll always give a new Stone beer a fair shake but I won't be returning to this. I could see if using Belgian yeast with the Stone IPA recipe made for a good beer but this just feels like a cheap gimmick. (490 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This is one of a number of failed attempts to make a combined belgian/california double india pale ale. Like the others, it takes two great styles and assumes the flavors can be mixed in a sittuatio that really doesn't work. You should try but i'll be surprised if you don't feel the same way. (293 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -15.2%

A - Nice amber color with mild golden tones, cream colored fluffy dense head which leaves very good lacing on the glass.

S - At first gree apple peels with a mild caramel aroma from the malts but not too intense. good sweet yet floral aroma. Very well balanced in my opinio between hops and malts.

T- Hit with a bittnerness and you can for sure see the tastes that come out of this with them using the begin style yeast. Finishes with a some what not quite ripe great fruit appeal.

M - Good medium bodied IPA with a sharp and crisp feelin about it. Hops leave your palate with a slight coating on them.

D - IMO very well balanced, the belgin style really comes out in this one as the Name says that it should. Not my first choice when it comes to a beer or my first choice when it comes to Stone's beer but worthy of trying. (829 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -15%

Appearance is golden with a rich thick head that crowns.

The smell is Estery with hints of bubble gum and sweet malt. Oh yeah, there's hops in there.

Tastes like good Belgian yeast chased by a good hop flavor. No real strong bitterness which allows the malt and yeast characteristic to come through.

Mouth feel is medium light with good carbonation. Good bite from the dryness, finishing clean.

I buy this stuff by the case, it's my favorite style and, well, stone is a good brewery. It's well done and cheap. Good daily night ender. (537 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -15%

Appearance: Yellow-gold with slight haze, good head.

Smell: Blast of wet rag at first whiff, then settles into a floral, spicy smell.

Taste: Mild bread sweetness, spices and black pepper, underlying grassy hop flavor.

Drinkability: Kind of heavy feeling, kind of weird tasting.

Another beer I finally get to try with Stone in Minnesota. I know the Belgian IPA style is a little weird to start with, but this beer didn't quite hit the mark with me. It's like they took a middle-of-the-road Belgian ale and added more hops than usual. (536 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -14.7%

hazy golden amber in color. It has a thin foamy head but is quite persistant. Well carbonated. Aroma is quite full of hops, citrus with a good tangerine bouquet, floral and a touch of grass. Honey malts balance the hops.
Starts of nice and hoppy , true to its birth place. Bright citrus/floral hops. malts are honey sweet but don't really balance out the hop onslaught. Now here is the part I didn't like: The second half of this tasting to me has a sort of Welch's grape drink taste. Very off putting in my opinion.
Drinks smooth and clean, no aftertaste to speak of.
I looked through numerous reviews to see if anyone else picked up on the Welch's taste as did I and found none, so perhaps it me. (699 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -14.5%

Had this beer in a pint on tap at the ale house redding, ca.

A= was really good nice, dark amber color. Great lacing and good one inch head. great appearance.
S=had almost a meat smell to it, bacon hint. Some good tones.
T=the taste wast alright but to me it had a bacon flavor to it. Alright Ipa flavor and hops.. but the Belgian aspect had a little bacon flavor I thought.
M=Was alright not too bad, good palate taste and nothing too strong.
D=I couldnt give the drinkability more scores being the IPA and Belgian aspects didnt flow on my palate due to the bacon flavor.

Overall a good beer. But the two crossing style flavors didnt mesh in my book. (657 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -14.5%

Poured a 1 Pt 6 oz bottle into a Tulip.

A: Poured a 1/2 fingered head. The head appears nice and creamy in color. This holds a nice Fulvous-Amber color. A slight carbonation even rises to the top which gives me the impression that this head will be lasting. Sadly this does not lace though.

S: This does remind me of a Belgian due to the spicy yeasts that this gives off. Some hops due come off of this, but most of this is the yeasts that I smelled.

T: This starts off as a Belgian with Belgian yeasts, spices, and even a bit of banana. After this though it goes to its IPA taste. This holds a nice bitterness in the mouth, but it is far from strong. If anything this bitterness is nice and balanced. A hop taste does coat the mouth and it stays quite nicely, but it's definitely not too dominating which goes to show how they added a Belgian sense to this beer.

M: This almost feels chewy at times if that makes sense. This is nice and smooth, but it also has a moderate amount of carbonation.

O: This is definitely an interesting style. This brew definitely succeeds at what it aimed to do. The problem with this was that I really don't a Belgian, yes this includes a Duvel. A Belgian feels to light for my taste. Balancing a beer is nice, but I simply enjoy stronger flavors to emerge. (1,297 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -14.2%

This is not up to the usual Stone bar, the biggest issue is a huge metallic twang in there, like chewing on foil or licking a signpole...not like i've done the later.

The aroma is big herbal florals and sticky hop resin that defines the Stone experience.

There's some powdery floral hops and chewy resin in here. astringent lemon peel and some slices like white pepper and clove. It's just an IPA, big chewy and bitter...with some metallic funk. Drinkablility isn't really there, it's just too one-dimensional for me to enjoy in large quantities...i got bored by the bottom of my 22. You want a really good belgian ipa, go with choffe...same price, yet delicious. (666 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Entirely transparent golden yellow with a slightly orange tint. One of the most transparent beers i've ever seen, in fact. Big bubbly white head with weak retention.

S: BIG candied fruit and floral aroma. Citrus mainly, with some notes of bananas and star fruit. Mildly hoppy with a small yeast aroma.

T: Definitely a large fruit flavor. Oranges, apples, grapefruit, lemon zest and bananas are all in full effect. Fantastic Belgian yeast bite and hop bite; not strong, perfectly balanced. The floral bitterness in the body is a nice touch. Aftertaste is quite reminiscent of apple cider.

M: SWEET. Very sweet. Slightly hoppy and slightly malty. Medium body with medium carbonation.

D: Good. Not my favorite Stone, the mish-mash taste of fruit is overwhelming. (766 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

served from the tap in a snifter glass

appears a pale yellow color with bright white head. aroma is very spicy and yeasty smelling. hops are herbal and citrusy. taste follows with more of the same. minor malt profile. Medium body, high carbonation, a bit fizzy.

overall - alright, but a bit too much of the Belgian yeast flavors for me. (339 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -14%

A: Nice bright and slightly hazy golden ale with a small white head. Odd, producing really large soap-like bubbles on the pour.

S: Fruity Belgian ale yeast smells and a relatively light, fruity hop nose. Not the hop bomb I expected. A touch of bready malt.

T: Just... different. A lot of perceived sweetness coming from interplay of malt and heavy perfume of esters, with a relatively aggressive bitterness from start to finish. It tastes like a fine Belgian, such as Delirium Tremens, overhopped into a lingering and clashing bitterness that overwhelms and fights with the finer points of the yeast palate. I am a fan of both styles as they are but this beer has not sold me on trying to combine them. There are some fine Belgian pale ales out there, but this one is a little too aggressive. The flavor is really not bad, but my expectations were not quite met.

M: Appropriate to a middle of the road American IPA but a little heavy for a Belgian. (951 characters)

Stone Cali-Belgique from Stone Brewing Co.