Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Stone Cali-Belgique - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Cali-BelgiqueStone Cali-Belgique

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian IPA |  6.90% ABV

Beer added by: gpogo on 07-23-2008

Reviews: 1,036 | Hads: 3,100
4.53/5  rDev +13.5%

From notes 3-29-09

Eye: This beer pours clear and orange with gold in there too. Head is a creamy 1 1/2 fingers in height and is creamy in appearance. Really nice looking, quite inviting. Lacing is composed of nice rings connected by sheets.

Nose: Real nice nose on this. Fruity tones and citrus....both mingle to give this beer an overall aroma that smells of fresh cantaloupe. Not really much more to it than that. There's a malt backbone to it that supports it. This isn't the first occasion I've drank this beer, but I can tell you now that the aroma is much weaker than I remember it being. From memory and from what I've in front of me this one really does smell nice. Some belgian yeast aroma in there, like a tripel. Getting other fruit hints as well, a bit of orange.

Tongue: Bitterness strikes the tongue first, then some sweetness from malt, then phenols from yeast. Just when you think that the flavor of this brew has worn itself out it keeps going, transferring to belgian flavors after some transitionary phenols/esters, malt becomes different, and the whole perception of the beer changes. This is probably one of the most complex beers I've drank. This thing has a lot going on in it. Hop flavor is everywhere, citrusy notes come and go, play with the malt and ester/phenols then fade to reveal new esters/phenols. When tasting this citrus hop flavor first comes into play as an agent that acts as a barrier or transitionary agent. After that first taste of citrus hops, new flavors emerge and then give way back to the citrus hop. Wow! this is one hell of a beer, complex and full, just awesome. After the first citrus its kinda like a tripel then going back to an IPA with the hops leading to the finish which ends up finishing somewhere between the two. This beer is the Prime Meridian, East meets West, figuratively speaking. It straddles both Belgian and American, just awesome.

Feel and Drinkability: This one has a medium-full body with just the right amount of carbonation. Carbonation is lower overall, but this beer is packed with so much flavor that any more carbonation would be devastating to it. There is nothing I would change about the way this beer feels. This is one that I'm definitely going to pick up again, after all this isn't the first time I've had this beer, the first time I've really studied it...yes. I'm not sure if I'd call this a Belgian IPA, its more like exactly in between and Belgain Tripel/BSPA and an American IPA. It seems to me that Belgian IPAs such as Chouffee's Belgian IPA and Piraat, are a bit different. To me this seems to be different than either of those.

3.58/5  rDev -10.3%

22 oz bomber.

Slightly hazy golden color, with a thick, tight sticky head. Nice retention.

Fruity Belgian yeast with notes of banana and candi sugar yields to pineapple and mango.

Flavor is pine and resin, slight woodiness and spice. Balanced malt flavor, enough to keep the hops fom running wild.

Alcohol warming on the slightly dry finish.

3.48/5  rDev -12.8%

A - Looks identical to the regular Stone IPA. Light honey copper with a creamy head and some nice lacing

S - The C hops are all you smell but as it warms the yeast really begins to show and it starts smelling similar to a tripel.

T - I like IPAs I like Belgian beers... but I dont get this. It seems like a waste of hops or waste of yeast. It seems like the beer is fighting to be an IPA and then a Belgian. Tastes like half a tripel mixed with half an IPA.

M - Finishes dry and the hoppy oiliness I want isn't there

D - Not a bad beer by any stretch and quite a novel idea. Just not for me.

4.3/5  rDev +7.8%

22 picked up over the weekend at John's Marketplace in Portland for $5.99... really.. just charge $6... poured into my waiting shaped SA glass...

2 finger head is bubbly and lasts forever.. great lacing atop a slightly hazy honey straw brew.

Nose is a very nice mash-up of Belgian yeastiness and some citric hoppiness.. what little pale malt essence that is there is completely drowned out (in a good way) by all the above fantastic aromas.

The flavor is "pretty much" everything I had hoped it would be.. tons of bubblegum and a citrus zest.. spicy and fairly phenolic.. as it warms there is a grapefruit and pineapple component that becomes more prevalent.. but the yeastiness is just about perfect.. the body is light side of medium with a nice smooth small bubble carbonation...

I like this brew a bunch.. Brenda had a taste and amazingly she asked if it was "the Green Flash beer that I like". She meant "le freak".. this brew is pretty damn good.. but it does not verge on le freak category..

I am damn happy I have another glass to enjoy... now.... we just need to get this delicacy into boise.

3.86/5  rDev -3.3%

Chilled bomber into a glass.

A: Pours a clear coppery amber color with very light carbonation. Has no head whatsoever, but pours with a slight film on top of the brew and a little collar around the glass. Leaves no lacing down the glass.

S: Fruity Belgian yeast, bubblegum, a little funk, and several spices: cloves, coriander, and pepper. Some citrus hop and caramel malt presence.

T: Follows the nose pretty well. A nice groundwork of bready and caramel malt, followed by a lightly tart blend of pineapple and grapefruit. The mid-palate is defined largely by funk and a spicy kick. Some bubblegum taste is noted in the transition to the finish, which is fairly dry. Aftertaste is all hop bitters.

M: Medium-bodied with low carbonation. Still provides a nice tingle, but I think it would benefit from more. I wonder if I got a flat bottle, given some of the other reviews. The ABV is well-masked, and there's a nice sticky finish that impresses very well.

D: This was more to satisfy my curiosity than anything else. I thought it was good, but not great, and I don't think I'd really seek it out again.

4.2/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured from a bomber into my Stone Levitation Ale goblet. Very clear amber to light copper liquid topped with a very dense, white head. The head fell reasonably slowly and left very attractive lacing and a bubbly splotchy coat.

Aroma is initially Belgian yeasty and a bit of funk. Deeper breaths reveal quite of alcohol presence and citrus hops. Caramel malts bring up the finish.

Like with the nose, there is an initial hit of Belgian yeast. This is followed by significant levels of spiciness; cloves, pepper and even a touch of cinnamon is detectable. The net to come through is the citrus op presence. Lemon and grapefruit are here in spades. The middle brings on the malts of caramel and biscuit. The finish has the hops return with a pretty moderate to high level of bitterness and lemony pucker that lingers quite a long time.

This beer has a light body with a vibrant refreshing carbonation.

Very, very drinkable chuggable in fact. This is very good high quality beer.

3.6/5  rDev -9.8%

A: Slightly cloudy amber color with a nice head and decent retention and lacing.

S: Very interesting yeasty in that typical Belgian way, but with slight citrus hoppiness in there too. Makes sense I guess. ;)

MF: Medium body with that prickly gassy belgian quality,

T: There is some bready malt, but that is quickly dominated by the yeasty-ness. I found some hoppiness in there of course, but the yeast was too much.

Overall: I split this with a friend and I'm glad I did. I don't think I would've finished the whole bomber. It certainly is interesting, but I'm generally not a huge fan of the Duvel style Belgians and this was too much of that for me. I'm trying to be fair in my grade as this was something I wanted to try, but the style is not for me.

3.78/5  rDev -5.3%

22oz. bomber into Imperial pint glass on 4/7/09.

A - Poured a brilliant, crystal clear golden/light amber body with a lively effervescence and almost two fingers of dense, off-white foam that settled to a half inch cap and deposited lots of thick lacing on the glass.

S - Quite a vibrant hop bouquet suggesting citrus and floral notes, as well as hints of perfume. Equally representative is the "Belgian" aspect of this brew with spicy, yeasty notes and some fruity esters. Malt is quite sweet and caramely. Some alcohol peeks through as the liquid warmed up.

T - Hop profile melds together with the spicy, yeasty character to create a subtle bitterness and funky sour flavor. Hints of citrus rind, wildflowers and mint mingle with fruity notes. Finish is mildly bitter, but with an odd herbal, minty character that threw me off a bit. A slight funky, yeasty tang persists throughout and lasts through to the finish.

M - Light to medium bodied with a smooth texture and soft carbonation, but a pretty thin mouthfeel overall. Finish is mildly bitter with a touch of sourness on the palate.

D - This is definitely an interesting brew from Stone. I wish it was a bit heavier on the IPA, but it still drank easily and displayed some nice complexities.

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

22 oz. bottle, poured into a tulip glass:

Pours golden with a thin white bubbly head.

The smell is interesting - tart-ish funkyish Belgian yeast with a citric hoppiness. The yeast strain seems to dominate the hops at times. I found that they don't necessarily clash - but almost.

The taste follows the nose to a tee - tartish, bready yeast with a firm, but not strong, citric American hop bitterness with some maltiness. Finishes bready and dry.

Doesn't quite have the Belgian body, more of a medium IPA-ish one, which is fine, but nothing particular special about the body, to me.

As much as I love American hops, I think this is decent, and a great idea, but it just wasn't what I was hoping it would be. There have been Belgian IPA's I preferred over this, and another American brewery's attempt that I prefer as well. Nice enough, but didn't come together quite the way I was hoping. Still, worthwhile to try, as it is interesting and creative.

According to the label, about half say Cali-Belgie (Flemish) and the other half (the one I have) is as it is listed here (French). Cool that they thought of both Belgian cultures.

3.53/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours a transparent golden straw color with a one finger foamy white head.

S- Scents of orange/ ruby red grapefruit and bubblegum.

T- Leads with toffee malts, mid palate is of citrus hops and baseball card bubblegum, finishes with a medicinal herbal hop.

M- Over carbonated and thin.

D- Not my favorite of the Stone offering the flavors are all over the place. I really don't think that this strain of yeast works all that well with the aggressiveness of the Stone IPA.

A-Amber gold w/slightly off-white head. Nice retention.

S-Spice, clove, banana, apricot, orange, earth tones, faint citrus.

T-Spice, clove, banana, pale malt, citrus-orange/tangerine, spice, apricot, with a spicy finish.

M-Light-to-medium bodied w/moderate carbonation and nice balance.

D-First time I've had this one, and I am a fan.

3.75/5  rDev -6%

Pours a slightly hazy orange yellow color with a half inch of creamy off white head on top. Aromas hit first thing with citric hops that begin to conjoin with spicy, fruity, slightly funky Belgian yeast tones. Hints of caramel malt in the background along with herbal, resinous accents. Earthy.

First sip brings some slightly sweet caramel malts upfront that quickly move into a collusion of citric, resinous hops and earthy Belgian yeast flavors. Fruity, spicy and funky flavors all play a part as the beer flows down with a bit of a dryness. Bitterness from the hops kicks in full well on the back end also. Finishes with a lingering spicy, estery bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and a little more carbonated than the standard Stone IPA. Overall it goes down smooth and easily. I'm still not sold on the Belgian IPA myself and it seems to clash a bit to my taste buds. This was nice but I'd rather have the regular IPA or Ruination.

3.83/5  rDev -4%

Pours the colour of unhealthy urine, kind of orangey-yellow. Good healthy bead feeding a modest but good snowy head that's still there. Thin but sticky and delicious lacing. That's a quite fucked-upingly good looker. I could fuck this beer.

Tropical, pale ale-y kind of nose. Lot of American hops - probably Cascade, but not sure. Smells very refreshing, with those hops mixing with a citrusy pineapple kind of smell. It's wonderfully tangy and light.

Taste is quite bitter throughout, but especially on the back palate and finish. First flavour is again kind of tangy with quite a refreshing bent, and descends quickly (maybe a bit too quickly) into that very hoppy finish with a slight lemon squash flavour to go along with it. Mouthfeel is light and frothy, like toothpaste. But yeah, really pleasant and drinkable, main palate is a bit short but otherwise very nice.

4.1/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a dark gold in color with a nice two inches of head. Smell is some hops, not much. There's some belgian yeast and a good amount of a peppery spice in the nose as well.
I like that this isn't a hop dominant beer. Really lets the other belgian characteristics of the beer come forward. It's quite enjoyable. I can't seem to figure out what is giving me that peppery spice flavor that I'm getting in the flavor. It's there and shocking, but I'm finding myself liking it.
I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. Well done and I wouldn't mind picking up a few more bottles.

3.68/5  rDev -7.8%

I'm usually a huge fan of this style, but was not super impressed by this offering which I find strange since Stone makes such good IPA's. Not a bad beer, just nothing special. Pours and orangish brown with a tan head. The nose has Belgian yeasts and fruity hops over candy malts. Taste is light on the Belgian spice and on the bitter hops. Medium to full body is well carbonated.

3.85/5  rDev -3.5%

22oz bottle poured into a tulip.

Color is somewhere between pale amber and gold. Moderate white head, but really good lace.

Very floral and piney in the nose. Fruity and hoppy, but there's something, maybe about the yeast, which is a bit odd.

Taste is almost all hops and yeast. The yeast, agian, adds an odd characteristic. This may be a typical aspect for belgian yeasts, but it just isn't meshing with the rest of the beer. Hops are very citrusy, nice and flowery.

Moutfeel is alright. Drinkable enough, but I might want something else over the course of an evening.

4.2/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured into an oversize wineglass from a 22 oz bomber.

A-Beautiful Medium copper orange filtered brew with a moderate amount of white head that laces nicely as would be expected from Stone.

S-I'm smelling mostly Stone IPA here...not much else...(not that this is a bad thing!)

T-Very interesting....they seem to have pulled this one off. The trademark Stone IPA flavors are mellowed well by the Belgian undertones. I wasn't quite sure how this could be carried out, but it works well, A very well balanced and drinkable beer. Kudos. More than that. This is an excellent balanced beer that has me anticipating the next sip.

M-Well balanced overall. Hey...these guys are pros... Nothing to report here other than well done.

D-Surprisingly well done....why? I didn't think that such dissimilar styles could be combined to such a good effect. The sum is definately worth more than the parts. Tomorrow, I head out to but more to stockpile before the stores run out. Nuff said.

22 oz. bottle poured into a chalice.

Appearance: Pours a copper-orange color, quite clear. Light white head with lots of big bubbles, becoming a film. Little lacing.

Smell: Light spicy/citrus flavor with a bit of yeast.

Taste: Has a spicy hop flavor (grapefruit, etc.) offset against some yeasty strains in the flavor. Bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with minimal carbonation; generally smooth.

Drinkability: Alcohol is a bit present in the aftertaste after a while. Nice to drink, but not for more than a couple, probably.

I've had this on tap a few times, but this is the first time in the bottle. I found it to be much better on tap; in the bottle is it just a decent Belgian-style IPA. Definitely worth trying, but I recommend it on tap.

4.53/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Drinking from a bomber purchased mid-08.

The color is a very nice orange. Nice head, no lacing on the glass. Perfect presentation.

The smell has a mild citrus aroma, which is also present in it's taste. It does have a hoppy aftertaste that real adds depth.

Very good and something that I would drink often.

3.95/5  rDev -1%

A - Deep, golden colored body with good clarity and one and a half fingers of white head. The head settles quickly to a loose layer of big bubbles and leaves a nice, thick ring of lace.

S - A nice, big spicy/ citrus hop aroma up front, backed by clove and tropical fruit aromas from the yeast. Some subtle sweet malt lurks in the background along with anise, clove and a hint of allspice.

T - Moderate, spicy hop flavor and big, mouth coating bitterness in the front. Subtle yeast flavor appears in the middle, light pineapple and clove, but fades quickly. Some bready malt in the finish along with renewed bitterness than dominates and lingers on the palate.

M - Moderate-light body, medium carbonation, and a dry finish.

D - Interesting and drinkable. The aroma is excellent, but the flavor doesn't live up to it. There is a lack of Belgian character in the flavor even though the nose exhibits lots of yeasty goodness. In the end it comes off as mostly IPA and just a little bit Belgian.

4.23/5  rDev +6%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber into a snifter.

A: Pours clear copper with a small head that recedes quickly.

S: Hoppy citrus with some belgian sweet & spice.

T: Belgian Yeast + American Hops are a little strange to me. Not bad, just not my preference. Spicy & sweet front with a pale, bitter finish.

M: Solid, medium body & carbination.

D: 6.9% ABV is well masked. A few of these in the summer heat would sneak up on me.

4.17/5  rDev +4.5%

I have to admit, I'm a sucker for a good stone. I like the hops and I love belgian beer. This is a really good beer. I can't comment too much on the appearance, it was dark in the room I was drinking this. It was light in color and had a nice head. Great smell, a combination of the malty sweetness of a tripel overlayed with a good hop freshness. The taste mimicked this scent but with a little stronger hops flavor bordering on citrus. I drank this with some moderately spicy thai food and it complimented the panang curry squid nicely. I could drink a lot of this. If you like stone, belgian or anything with hops, give this one a try.

4.82/5  rDev +20.8%

I had been waiting to try this one since I saw that they were making it. To me it was the best of both worlds...belgian style yeast and a california IPA. It did not disapoint one bit.
It poured a very nice Dark amber color, the aromas were very much like the name suggests very true to a belgian spciy and citrusy,floral with hints of honey, then you get the aroma of the hops which added to the citrus gave it an almost blood orange scent. Taste was just outstanding typical belgian triple flavors spicy and slightly yeasty but with a nice blast of hops which gave it a nice grapefruit/ citrus like finish.In my opinion the best beer I have had in a long time... This is a perfect food beer. I had it with sauteed red snapper with a lemon butter sauce and it went perfect!! I can't wait to get some more!!

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a New Belgium globe glass.

A: Pours a golden copper color.

S: American citrusy hops with spicy Belgian yeast.

T: Tropical fruity hops mix with the spicy Belgian yeast. A bit of spice from the yeast as well. Drinks like a Belgian tripel with American IPS hops. Slightly sweet as well with some bubblegum flavors.

M: Average carbonation, medium bodied.

D: A very good experiment by Stone. I really enjoyed this one.

4.3/5  rDev +7.8%

Pours out hazy orange into tulip glass. Small white head that disolves quickly. Great lacing all the way down. The smell is very Belgium-like. Almost smells like a good wit. Lots of spiced scents. The taste was much the same. The hoppy bit of an IPA with the orange spice of a belgium wit. This made for a absolutly great compliment to the Grilled Tuna I had with this beer. The carbonation was just right for a great mouthfeel and overall a very drinkable beer.

Stone Cali-Belgique from Stone Brewing Co.