Stone Cali-Belgique - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Cali-BelgiqueStone Cali-Belgique

rAvg: 4
Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian IPA |  6.90% ABV

(Beer added by: gpogo on 07-23-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
TurdFurgison

4.43/5  rDev +10.8%

I bought the first bottle I saw in OH, $6.99 at Whole Foods. The beer is yellow as corn but clear as water, thick white foamy head that laces dry onto the glass. The smell is a near-perfect coupling of west coast hops with Belgian yeast, the citrus from the hops and the esters from the yeast. The taste is likewise representative of both styles, much better suited to my tastes than the Belgian IPA's I've tried in the past (Urthel Hop-It, Chouffe tripel IPA, etc). Lots of grapefruit with spiciness and cloves, very tasty. A real winner from Stone.

12-08-2008 01:40:17 | More by TurdFurgison
dmorgan310

Panama

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

07-06-2012 19:00:43 | More by dmorgan310
billab914

4/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Portsmouth snifter glass. Pours a hazy orange color with a one finger white head. Laced nicely on the glass.

Aroma is hoppy and citrusy with strong Belgian yeast spiciness. Taste starts out with the citrus and hoppy flavors but then the big spiciness of the belgian yeast hits your pallet. The yeast gives it a very strong spice kick that dominates the flavor.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is good.

Overall this was pretty good, it was more on the Belgian side of the spectrum than the American IPA. If you like Belgians and hops you would probably like this one.

01-03-2010 02:56:01 | More by billab914

xnicknj

12-06-2011 01:27:44 | More by xnicknj
scruffwhor

3.93/5  rDev -1.8%

Slightly cloudy copper and bronze hue with an awesome two to three finger head that leaves craggy foam on the glass after each sip.

Great citric and floral mix in the aroma. Orange zest with a little fresh picked wild flowers. All on top of a light biscuit.

Starts with lots of carbonation and bitter orange marmalade. The middle turns into sweet oarnge candy with a little caramel. The finish goes from citric bitterness to floral bitterness on the linger.

This beer is well carbonated on the toongue upfront, then finishes a little resiny. Nicely done.

03-22-2011 05:21:02 | More by scruffwhor
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

4.1/5  rDev +2.5%

650ml bomber poured into tulip 11/10/12 thanks liamt07 for sending me the bottle

A not quite clear golden yellow with various sized bubbles throughout, tight two finger off white head sits long enough to leave 4 thin rings of lace followed by lots of random patches, sexy looking stuff

S lemon hits me first with some soapy pine and toffee, faint spices with some more citrus fruits and candied pineapple, the yeast profiles Belgian but the hops are American and there's a little something I can't quite place but its fruity and good

T some bitter greens and lime rind, sprite perhaps with very faint banana, earthy weedy notes and there's still fruit I can't place

M a nice bitter bite with a little grit, well concealed booze and a big citrus finish, good carbonation and slick after the fact for a short time

O this ones going to bug me because there's a fruity aspect I can't quite place but its positive. If anything it could use more Belgian yeast to get it more on line with the style but I liked it no matter how its labeled

I feel like I'm being hard on this one even though it gets a high score, not quite 4.25 in many areas maybe I should start complaining that we need a .10 increment on the site

10-12-2012 08:08:42 | More by wordemupg

08-28-2013 00:12:48 | More by GraduatedCashew
ccrida

Oregon

3.65/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bomber poured into my large Gulden Draak tulip, Cali-België (I got the Walloon labeled spelling) is a clear dark gold with an orange tinged off-white head that has long last and leaves fantastically dense, baby swiss cheese lace. The bottle is the typical Stone silkscreen with all the pretentious babble on the back, but uses a gold pigment for most of it that is flaked off and generally sloppy looking. The laces reigns supreme though, earning the high score.

Smell is great, definitely a Stone IPA, big resinous west coast hop nose, some fruitiness that I assume are the Belgian esters, as it's not really the citrus you get from Cascade family. I give this points for being the closest to what I expect from this style - not just a Belgian with an extra dose of noble hops, but decidedly a West Coast IPA. The problem is, that's pretty much all it is, I'm really not getting a lot of Belgian character behind the hop blast.

Taste is heavy on the spicy, piny hops and rather yeasty. I served this at fridge temp, like I prefer my IPAs (for both keeping and serving, to maintain the hops). Let it warm up some while I walked the dog didn't really open up many esters. Honestly, Stone's isn't my favorite IPA, and here the dankness of the hops overpowers the Belgian esters, it's just a bit to resinous for my taste. I'd like a better balance of both styles, this one swings too wide to the West, and without the hop profile I prefer out here. I guarantee that if I gave this to 9 out of 10 Portland IPA fans they wouldn't peg the Belgian character in a blind tasting.

Mouthfeel is pretty oily, nice foamy carbonation flirts with the trademark Belgian mouthfeel, but it's on the chewier, heavier side.

Drinkability is pretty good. I'm most impressed with their restraint in the ABV, it's plenty big enough to warm your cheeks without being gratuitous, as many west coast IPAs are, especially Stone. On the other hand, this was so limited, that I suppose getting a bit extra punch out of my only bottle wouldn't have hurt, but I certainly wouldn't have wanted to sacrifice the cleaner alcoholic taste. If you love Stone's IPA, you will love this, and while I like the more overt west coast influence, it's still not my favorite.

01-04-2009 02:03:34 | More by ccrida
Zaphog

05-07-2012 00:12:53 | More by Zaphog
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

4.13/5  rDev +3.3%

22 oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. "Keep refrigerated", 6.9% ABV, Enjoy by 05 13 10 stamped on the bottom of the bottle.

A - Carbonation bubbles swirl through the glass from the moderate pour. A densely packed, creamy white head rises without hesitation and slowly lowers to a thick pile. Wispy lace accents the brilliantly clear golden IPA.

S - A noticeable banana ester and dry clay aroma come from the distinctly Belgian yeast which adds a dimension I've never experienced in an IPA before. Toasted white bread falls to the background with a sweet light candi sugar kiss that holds up the floral and lemon citrusy hops.

T - Cali-België assaults the tongue with American hops instantly which certainly takes me off guard. Very bitter citrusy, floral hops overshadow the malts heavily. A tiny touch of candi sugar and caramel malts almost falls by the wayside. The Belgian yeast on the other hand still remains prominent in the flavor giving the finish a citrusy, earthy, distinct different yeast finish. The flavor has good balance.

M - Medium-light bodied, Cali-België has a sharp bitter citrus finish from the hops but a lingering balanced citrus from the yeast. Fully carbonated, it also has a tingle as it goes down smoothly.

D - Great drinkability from this one, I'm a little peeved I waited so long to finally pick up a bottle, but it's still worth it. Very excellent.

07-08-2010 02:22:59 | More by BeerFMAndy
liamt07

Ontario (Canada)

02-05-2013 20:16:13 | More by liamt07
GarthDanielson

3.63/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured on-tap at the Stone Brewery. The beer poured with a honey-gold color, with a tall, frothy, bright white head. The beer looked like it had a heavy, almost syrupy feel to it. Citrus, Belgian spice, and resiny bitter-sweet aromas on the nose. The smell is very vibrant and full. The beer itself is bitter-sweet, with heavy malted and spiced flavors forming a backbone for the dry, pepper spiced hops profiles. The beer has a sweet and sour balanced aftertaste, with some bitter hops giving the beer a dry finish. The beer is sweeter than most IPAs, and the Belgian funk makes this one difficult to drink lots of, for my personal tastes, at least.

01-02-2011 21:20:06 | More by GarthDanielson
jrallen34

3.55/5  rDev -11.3%

I drank this from a 22oz bomber into a Rochefort chalice.

The beer pours a light golden orange. The head is white, but pretty non-existent.

The aroma is all hops very bitter, not much else. A little sour citrus, lemon.

The taste is sweet to start but sour grapefruit sweet. The end is light bitter, not as bitter as the aroma. There is a light metallic finish.

Feel is ok, drinkability decent.

01-10-2010 00:09:35 | More by jrallen34
avalon07

4.43/5  rDev +10.8%

A: Poured from a bottle to a tulip glass. Had a yellowish color and a clear consistency. There was an inch of creamy/foamy, fairly long-lasting head. Good lacing.

S: A sharp, fruit, hoppy aroma, with some traces of malt and yeast.

T: Tasted of hops, Belgian yeast, citrus, and a good amount of malt. A nicely balanced, vibrant, flavor.

M: A highly carbonated beer with a somewhat slick finish. Medium-bodied.

D: An eminently drinkable Belgian IPA.

07-06-2010 13:13:35 | More by avalon07
thagr81us

4.08/5  rDev +2%

Served from tap into a tulip. Pours golden yellow with a one finger white head. Maintains phenomanol lacing throughout. The aroma is of fruit and malt with a slight hint of hops. The flavor is of malt, grapefruit and subtle hops. It had a light with mdeium carbonation. Overall this was very nice and smooth. The grapefruit flavor combined with the malt balanced this brew very nicely giving it great drinkability. I will be drinking this again given the opportunity.

07-28-2010 12:09:32 | More by thagr81us
Rhettroactive

District of Columbia

3.65/5  rDev -8.8%

From bomber to nonic pint glass

A: Pale golden sunset in color. Massive 3+ finger head on a reasonable pour. Sticky lacing consumed the top of my glass as the head fell.

S: The highlight of this beer. Melted butter and caramel - the moment I pop the cap it hits my nose like a sack full of half dollars.

T: Not your Daddy's IPA. Pork belly and liquid smoke on the forepalate. The malt makes an appearance too, though apparently the hops didn't get invited. It is quite apparent that this is a Belgian style brew, as the yeast used changes the profile of this one completely (the bottle states this is the Stone IPA, brewed with a special Belgian strain).

M: Like most of Stone's brews, it's the perfect level of carbonation for the style. It's creamy and luxurious, yet not so heavy as to be offputting.

O: I like that Stone has done something different here. I can say with sincereity that I prefer their standard IPA, though I'm certainly glad I picked this up. I don't know if I'll return to this one.

01-27-2011 20:09:20 | More by Rhettroactive
DrDemento456

4.03/5  rDev +0.8%

Grabbed this one at my local place for 8 bucks (kind of steep) with no noticeable "best by" date

A - Carbonation seems a bit lacking since I only got a layer of foam and some moderate bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass. Head does seem sticky.

S - Smells of fruity yeast and a nice bit of hops that blends into a sort of lemon hop smell.

T - Hops are kind of subdued but I do get a bit of bitterness in the finish and a nice bit of bubble gum fruit flavor from the yeast. I bet fresh this would be amazing.

M - Light to medium it's very balanced and tasty.

Overall if I ever get a chance to try this with no yeast on the bottom (or with a best by date) I will re-review it. It still was a very solid offering and surprisingly hoppy and balanced.

10-02-2011 00:50:19 | More by DrDemento456
flagmantho

Washington

3.9/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured from 22oz bomber into a mug.

Appearance: light orange hue with plenty of haze and three fingers of foamy white head. Not a bad looking beer at all!

Smell: flat, musty saison-like aroma with hops smelling like cut grass and earth. There is a bitterness to the aroma, which I find interesting. Not bad, but it's not grabbing me.

Taste: very earthy, funky flavor. Dry grass, wet blanket and a little bitterness are all present, along with a bit of citrusy hops. I'm finding that I'm liking this more the more I drink it. I would guess that this beer is not for everyone, but I'm enjoying it.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a nicely-integrated carbonation which yields a pretty creamy mouthfeel. I like it.

Drinkability: pretty tasty and it has some refreshing character. I would have this again.

09-19-2010 22:17:04 | More by flagmantho
tavernjef

4.35/5  rDev +8.7%

Pale golden hay, clearish body with some carbonation streams moderately brimming within. Nice tall crown of crusty, big bubbly whitish foam grows firmly after a vigoruos pour into my Stone Ruination goblet. Lots of thick lacing in droopy strings and sheets is caked across the glass.

Aroma is a pretty decent combo of citrusy hops and Belgian yeast. Tangerine fuzz, lemony spritz, orange spray, and a twist of lime are co-mingling well with a dryish yeastyness that adds some clovish spice and slight medicinal tones to its nose.

Taste is crisp and steady with a good amount of hop flavors in the citrusy realm of bite and bitterness. All handled well with a good balance as the yeast pulls in a light puffy/airy dryness of yeast and mild bubblegum layered low underneath. Spiced mildly with a bit of brightness in citrus with lime, lemon, white grapefruit, and over ripe starfruit. Spiced in yeast with clove, floral pollen things, and some tannin. Overall, the balance is well-rounded and easy on the palate with a mellow tone that build slowly and gracefully into a stronger finish of complexity. Nice!

Feel, as mentioned within the taste, is crisp and steardy, round and a solid medium if not more so. Just a scootch more bubblegummyness and biscuity/doughy malt and this would be sublimely yummy. As is however, is still far more drinkable then one would think. The bomber flows fast and the glass drinks easy with this one.
Stone is finally making waves in Minnesota! Only took, what, like 8 years? But its here, at last!

04-23-2011 01:25:50 | More by tavernjef
Cyberkedi

Georgia

4.33/5  rDev +8.3%

Strong aroma is hoppy and evergreen with a firm, sour citrus overtone, a mixture of lemon and orange with just a whisper of lime. It pours an average golden amber with a decent off-white head, but appearance is this beer's weakest suit. Flavor is fairly hoppy, but pleasantly sour citrus dominates with orange and lemon and a little bit of lime. Texture is exceptionally smooth, yet tingly and fizzy enough for a beer. Recommended to all hop-heads.

03-31-2010 02:15:35 | More by Cyberkedi
bluejacket74

4.03/5  rDev +0.8%

22 ounce bottle. Served in a snifter, the beer pours a slightly hazy golden orange color with almost an inch white head. Head retention is good, and there is a lot of lacing. The aroma is citrusy hops (grapefruit), orange, ginger, Belgian yeast and a bit of piney hops. It tastes like bready malt, pine and citrusy hops (grapefruit and orange peel), Belgian yeast, peppery spice and ginger. There's good balance in this beer, it's not too sweet and not too bitter. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit creamy with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is good, it's smooth and goes down easy. With the relatively low ABV it wouldn't be hard to drink a couple bombers of this at all. It reminds me a little of the Vertical Epic 08/08/08 I just drank, but I think this is a bit better. If you get the chance to try this beer, you should.

01-02-2009 01:02:27 | More by bluejacket74
WOLFGANG

07-08-2013 04:52:55 | More by WOLFGANG
Stone Cali-Belgique from Stone Brewing Co.