Stone Cali-Belgique - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Cali-BelgiqueStone Cali-Belgique

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian IPA |  6.90% ABV

Beer added by: gpogo on 07-23-2008

Reviews: 1,019 | Hads: 3,015
3.86/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured from a brown 22 oz. bottle. Has a deep golden color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of yeast, a bit fruity. Taste is citrus, yeast, hoppy but not bitter, more fruits, complex and tasty, well done. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall this beer is worth a try. (271 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -0.7%

On tap at the brewpub last week.

Pours a clear orange, nice looking, chunky but thin white head forms, settles down to a ring around the glass, touch of lace. Smell is neat, bubblegum, bananas, honey, light floral character, bready yeast, grass, light spice, refreshing aroma. Taste is honey and that bubblegum, banana, floral, nice bit of light fruits, pretty standard fare but well done, the spicy bitter finish is quite nice. Mouthfeel is medium to light bodied with medium carbonation, goes down easy, not too bad. I'd drink this one again. (545 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pale and hazed dim golden body. Big frothy white head that has great retention. Nose is fruity, estery, yeasty, doughy and spicy. What a nice aroma. Great flavor. This one is done right. The belgian yeast gives the beer some nice fruitiness and doughy yeastiness and a little spice. The hops give the beer a nice quenching and vibrant feel. Citrus with orange and lemon zest. Nice clean bitterness. Medium bodied and agressively carbonated, though not gaseous in the least. This would have to be my favorite Belgian IPA so far. This is outstanding. (548 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +5.5%

Was on tap at Hollingshead. Was amazed at the appearance, very clear, surprisingly. Fantastic lacing, a golden color. Great aroma, everything you'd expect out of this style: hops and sweet yeast.

Taste, more hops, good. Not a big Belgian fan, but this really makes it more palate-able having the customary Stone goodness to walk you along the path to something new.

Mouthfeel, very complex, you get bits of honey, grass, sweet, but hops is still at the forefront. F'n yum. Price is ouch. What'd I pay $10 for a pint/imperial pint? Worth it? You know it. (555 characters)

22oz bottle

A- Pours a golden orange color with an off-white head.

S- The aroma is pale malts with a touch of citrus, spices and some hops.

T- The taste like the aroma is pale malts up front with some spices, citrus and a good amount of citrusy hops in the dry finish.

M- The mouthfeel is between light and medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D- Overall, Stone Cali-Belgique is a solid beer that is definitely worth a repeat purchase. Hightly recommended!   (478 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +2.7%

650ml bomber poured into tulip 11/10/12 thanks liamt07 for sending me the bottle

A not quite clear golden yellow with various sized bubbles throughout, tight two finger off white head sits long enough to leave 4 thin rings of lace followed by lots of random patches, sexy looking stuff

S lemon hits me first with some soapy pine and toffee, faint spices with some more citrus fruits and candied pineapple, the yeast profiles Belgian but the hops are American and there's a little something I can't quite place but its fruity and good

T some bitter greens and lime rind, sprite perhaps with very faint banana, earthy weedy notes and there's still fruit I can't place

M a nice bitter bite with a little grit, well concealed booze and a big citrus finish, good carbonation and slick after the fact for a short time

O this ones going to bug me because there's a fruity aspect I can't quite place but its positive. If anything it could use more Belgian yeast to get it more on line with the style but I liked it no matter how its labeled

I feel like I'm being hard on this one even though it gets a high score, not quite 4.25 in many areas maybe I should start complaining that we need a .10 increment on the site (1,216 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +4.7%

Hazy bright golden colour with creamy, dense, off-white head. Nice head retention and sticky lacing.

Nice, slightly funky Belgian yeast aroma with some lemon notes, clove and herbal character as well. The hop aroma is interesting with some tropical fruit and citrus lying underneath the yeast. Reasonably well integrated.

Sweet, fruity and yeasty. This is really quite good. The slightly sweet malt works well against the moderate bitterness. Nice lemony, herbal hop character. Good peppery note in the background. A well balanced Belgian IPA.

Medium-light body with moderate carbonation. Soft and very nice.

An easy drinking Belgian IPA. While I don't normally like the Stone Belgian yeast, this works well with the hops provided and the malt character. (758 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

From the 650 ml. bottle. Sampled on June 10, 2013.

The look is a handsome amber-gold with a delicate white head that sticks around for the session.

Fragrant nose of floral and earthy hops up front but then the Belgian characters kick in including the Belgian candied sugars, yeast strain, soft biscuit malts, and a slight citrus ester.

The body is around medium.

The taste is bother Belgian mellow with a hopped up bitterness. What I mean is that I get the roasted pale malts, nectarine and pear, warming subtle sweetness with a full hoppy and dry finale. I liked this "hybrid" for lack of a better word. It is one of the more interesting and unique IPA's I have tried. (675 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a nice dark-golden color with a two finger head into my glass. Looks about right.

Aroma is full of grassy hops and spice in the nose. A hint of grapefruit peeks out. Very decent for the hops part.

Taste is full of floral hops with a pronounced spice bite upfront. Elements of a west coast IPA and belgian IPA are abound but the hops dominate as with most of the Stone lineup that I've had. The malt shows through only a bit.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering hops and spice and malt. Not bad. Alcohol is well hidden, though it's not that high anyway.

Not bad at all. I like this example of the style. It has a definite Stone feel to it. My only problem is that Belgian part of this beer seems lost. Regardless, you cannot go wrong with giving this a shot. (762 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -2.5%

Slightly cloudy copper and bronze hue with an awesome two to three finger head that leaves craggy foam on the glass after each sip.

Great citric and floral mix in the aroma. Orange zest with a little fresh picked wild flowers. All on top of a light biscuit.

Starts with lots of carbonation and bitter orange marmalade. The middle turns into sweet oarnge candy with a little caramel. The finish goes from citric bitterness to floral bitterness on the linger.

This beer is well carbonated on the toongue upfront, then finishes a little resiny. Nicely done. (560 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +1.7%

A: Bright, clear gold color with an orange sparkle. Pired a 2 finger stark white head with fair retention to an even skim. Rings of lace slipped down the inside of the glass. Lazily decanted.

S: Big yeast esters up front. Sweet caramel malt follows along with citrusy hops (grapefruit, lemon and pine) and tropical fruits.

T: Just like the aroma only hops exert more character over the malt. Sharp bitter to balance all thats going on.

M: Medium body. Ample carbonation. Smooth and coating ahead of the finish with all the complex flavors.

D: Very enjoyable, complex and balanced; there's a lot going on this beer that sems to work pretty well - moderate abv too. Just get a little full (and taste-bud-shock). (715 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

I bought the first bottle I saw in OH, $6.99 at Whole Foods. The beer is yellow as corn but clear as water, thick white foamy head that laces dry onto the glass. The smell is a near-perfect coupling of west coast hops with Belgian yeast, the citrus from the hops and the esters from the yeast. The taste is likewise representative of both styles, much better suited to my tastes than the Belgian IPA's I've tried in the past (Urthel Hop-It, Chouffe tripel IPA, etc). Lots of grapefruit with spiciness and cloves, very tasty. A real winner from Stone. (550 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

22 ounce bottle. Served in a snifter, the beer pours a slightly hazy golden orange color with almost an inch white head. Head retention is good, and there is a lot of lacing. The aroma is citrusy hops (grapefruit), orange, ginger, Belgian yeast and a bit of piney hops. It tastes like bready malt, pine and citrusy hops (grapefruit and orange peel), Belgian yeast, peppery spice and ginger. There's good balance in this beer, it's not too sweet and not too bitter. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit creamy with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is good, it's smooth and goes down easy. With the relatively low ABV it wouldn't be hard to drink a couple bombers of this at all. It reminds me a little of the Vertical Epic 08/08/08 I just drank, but I think this is a bit better. If you get the chance to try this beer, you should. (832 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -3.2%

Picked this up at Tower on Piedmont in Atlanta.

Pours a crystal-clear gold color with a bright white two-finger head. The head shrinks down into a thin layer of bubbles on top, leaving decent lacing.

Smells of light fruits - bananas and pears - with a medicinal and almost spicy hop aroma.

Tastes good. Light fruit flavors are backed up by a good hop bite that ends with a solid bitterness. There's a sweet malt backbone throughout and hints of Belgian yeast.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a good thickness with active carbonation that make it go down smoothly.

Drinkability is good. It's by no means the tastiest Belgian IPA I've had, but it's no slouch.

Overall this is a tasty offering from Stone, and one that is worth a shot. (734 characters)

Pours a hazy golden-amber, nice Belgian look to it. Tight bubbles make and light white head. Head dissipates disappointingly quickly and there is not much lacing.

Smell is ... Belgian for sure. Kinda sour and sweet, I get a decent amount of citrus from the hops/yeast combo. A little alcohol mixed in there as well.

Taste is disappointing for me. Somewhat bitter, but no real bite. No real fruitiness from the hops, which is a disappointment given the "Cali" in the title. I am not digging what I'm getting from the yeast, was more appealing in the nose than it was on the tongue. Maybe it's as it should be, but to me it tastes a little funky/sour.

Mouthfeel is quite similar to lightly carbonated fruit juice. A disappointment. Drinkability, is low for me but other may enjoy. I've got a little ways to go to finish this bomber.

Overall this is a miss for me. Perhaps freshness was an issue, given the sensitivity of highly hopped beers. Maybe this is a world class example of the style or maybe it just isn't for me. (1,024 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -2.7%

22oz Bomber - thanks to Phyl21ca for this one

Appearance – Hazy amber colour with a large size fizzy/frothy white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is some fair lacing. The head lasted for over 5 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Grains/wheat, hops, lemons, yeast, banana/bubble gum

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an average amount of carbonation and I can taste lots of hops mixed with lemons, yeast, and some caramel. There is also a lot of banana/bubble gum flavour and something else that I can't put my finger on.. It ends with a fruity and hoppy aftertaste.

Overall – There was this one odd taste to the beer but it was only subtle. While I've had other beers within this style that were better, this one was still above average and quite drinkable. Stone rarely disappoints. (830 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +0.2%

Grabbed this one at my local place for 8 bucks (kind of steep) with no noticeable "best by" date

A - Carbonation seems a bit lacking since I only got a layer of foam and some moderate bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass. Head does seem sticky.

S - Smells of fruity yeast and a nice bit of hops that blends into a sort of lemon hop smell.

T - Hops are kind of subdued but I do get a bit of bitterness in the finish and a nice bit of bubble gum fruit flavor from the yeast. I bet fresh this would be amazing.

M - Light to medium it's very balanced and tasty.

Overall if I ever get a chance to try this with no yeast on the bottom (or with a best by date) I will re-review it. It still was a very solid offering and surprisingly hoppy and balanced. (760 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -11.5%

I drank this from a 22oz bomber into a Rochefort chalice.

The beer pours a light golden orange. The head is white, but pretty non-existent.

The aroma is all hops very bitter, not much else. A little sour citrus, lemon.

The taste is sweet to start but sour grapefruit sweet. The end is light bitter, not as bitter as the aroma. There is a light metallic finish.

Feel is ok, drinkability decent. (398 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

A: Poured from a bottle to a tulip glass. Had a yellowish color and a clear consistency. There was an inch of creamy/foamy, fairly long-lasting head. Good lacing.

S: A sharp, fruit, hoppy aroma, with some traces of malt and yeast.

T: Tasted of hops, Belgian yeast, citrus, and a good amount of malt. A nicely balanced, vibrant, flavor.

M: A highly carbonated beer with a somewhat slick finish. Medium-bodied.

D: An eminently drinkable Belgian IPA. (451 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +9%

22oz bottle, finally spotted this one at steve's - university

appearance: poured into my hopleaf tulip...bright, clear golden-orange body, light beige film. very clean

smell: zesty citrus hops, very bright and clean, fresh belgian yeast. aromatic, pungent, lovely

taste: lovely belgian yeast...clean, crisp citrus hops - grapefruit, tangerine zest. Really enjoy this one - beautiful belgian IPA from stone

mouthfeel: clean, crisp, relatively light with a zingy hop bite

drinkability: good (493 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bomber poured into my large Gulden Draak tulip, Cali-België (I got the Walloon labeled spelling) is a clear dark gold with an orange tinged off-white head that has long last and leaves fantastically dense, baby swiss cheese lace. The bottle is the typical Stone silkscreen with all the pretentious babble on the back, but uses a gold pigment for most of it that is flaked off and generally sloppy looking. The laces reigns supreme though, earning the high score.

Smell is great, definitely a Stone IPA, big resinous west coast hop nose, some fruitiness that I assume are the Belgian esters, as it's not really the citrus you get from Cascade family. I give this points for being the closest to what I expect from this style - not just a Belgian with an extra dose of noble hops, but decidedly a West Coast IPA. The problem is, that's pretty much all it is, I'm really not getting a lot of Belgian character behind the hop blast.

Taste is heavy on the spicy, piny hops and rather yeasty. I served this at fridge temp, like I prefer my IPAs (for both keeping and serving, to maintain the hops). Let it warm up some while I walked the dog didn't really open up many esters. Honestly, Stone's isn't my favorite IPA, and here the dankness of the hops overpowers the Belgian esters, it's just a bit to resinous for my taste. I'd like a better balance of both styles, this one swings too wide to the West, and without the hop profile I prefer out here. I guarantee that if I gave this to 9 out of 10 Portland IPA fans they wouldn't peg the Belgian character in a blind tasting.

Mouthfeel is pretty oily, nice foamy carbonation flirts with the trademark Belgian mouthfeel, but it's on the chewier, heavier side.

Drinkability is pretty good. I'm most impressed with their restraint in the ABV, it's plenty big enough to warm your cheeks without being gratuitous, as many west coast IPAs are, especially Stone. On the other hand, this was so limited, that I suppose getting a bit extra punch out of my only bottle wouldn't have hurt, but I certainly wouldn't have wanted to sacrifice the cleaner alcoholic taste. If you love Stone's IPA, you will love this, and while I like the more overt west coast influence, it's still not my favorite. (2,238 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +1%

22oz bottle received as an extra from seaoflament. Thanks for knocking off a want, Carlos! Chilled and poured into my Duvel tulip.

A: Crystal clear orange capped with a solid almost pure white head that's frothy and dense with decent retention with some lacework

S: Wonderful citrus hops up front with sharp tangerine fruitiness and bitterness. There's a good deal of hop character but as the beer warms up, there's some classic Belgian spiciness that comes with some pepper and clove with a yeasty sweetness. Not very strong with the Belgian character and that's the reason I like it. As it warms up over an hour, this definitely get spicier with white pepper, mace and a hint of cinnamon.

T/M: Opens up with a ton of hops with citrus, tangerine and floral characters dominating the palate. Again, the Belgian yeast character is over-powered by the hops (which, according to my tastebuds, is a good thing) and appear towards the end of the sip with some spice and sweetness. Like the IPA, this beer is pretty light in body (a plus) with a long, bitter and dry finish. It is here that the spices become a little more prominent with a white pepper and clove blend becoming noticeable. As with the regular IPA, the carbonation is excellent and this beer is a pleasure on the palate.

D: This is one easy drinking BIPA, probably my favorite of the bunch so far. Well done, Stone!

Notes: This is not a style I dig because I don't like the conflicting use of hops and yeasty characteristics. This beer subdues the yeast and lets the hops do the talking - if this doesn't sound appealing to you, don't try this.

As this warms up over an hour, it's quite remarkable how the balance shifts in this beer from being hop-driven to yeast-driven. All told, it's still delicious, (1,771 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +3%

22 oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. "Keep refrigerated", 6.9% ABV, Enjoy by 05 13 10 stamped on the bottom of the bottle.

A - Carbonation bubbles swirl through the glass from the moderate pour. A densely packed, creamy white head rises without hesitation and slowly lowers to a thick pile. Wispy lace accents the brilliantly clear golden IPA.

S - A noticeable banana ester and dry clay aroma come from the distinctly Belgian yeast which adds a dimension I've never experienced in an IPA before. Toasted white bread falls to the background with a sweet light candi sugar kiss that holds up the floral and lemon citrusy hops.

T - Cali-België assaults the tongue with American hops instantly which certainly takes me off guard. Very bitter citrusy, floral hops overshadow the malts heavily. A tiny touch of candi sugar and caramel malts almost falls by the wayside. The Belgian yeast on the other hand still remains prominent in the flavor giving the finish a citrusy, earthy, distinct different yeast finish. The flavor has good balance.

M - Medium-light bodied, Cali-België has a sharp bitter citrus finish from the hops but a lingering balanced citrus from the yeast. Fully carbonated, it also has a tingle as it goes down smoothly.

D - Great drinkability from this one, I'm a little peeved I waited so long to finally pick up a bottle, but it's still worth it. Very excellent. (1,388 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +7.5%

Strong aroma is hoppy and evergreen with a firm, sour citrus overtone, a mixture of lemon and orange with just a whisper of lime. It pours an average golden amber with a decent off-white head, but appearance is this beer's weakest suit. Flavor is fairly hoppy, but pleasantly sour citrus dominates with orange and lemon and a little bit of lime. Texture is exceptionally smooth, yet tingly and fizzy enough for a beer. Recommended to all hop-heads. (448 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured into a wine glass for a nice opaque orange body with bubbly carbonation (one-finger white head) and it looks like little yeast floaties (doubt it), plus a ring of lace. A floral hop smell is what I notice first (so typical of Stone) and then also picked some citric and lemon-zest smells. Also some orange and/or heavy fruit in the smell along with that Belgian smell of yeast and sweet/caramel malts. The taste is similiar with this being a medium-bodied beer that is balanced between both styles. Has some caramel and sweet malts and bread to make it a little chewey and sweet, while the hops are clearly evident in both passing (citric, floral taste) and on the backbite (crisp and dry). Also minor fruit notes include orange and a tad of grape and tartness - has a VERY minor champagne like quality (could also be from carbonation). Warms a little as you sip but with a lower than usual ABV from Stone and my affinity towards them I wish they would make this a permanent offering. (991 characters)

Stone Cali-Belgique from Stone Brewing Co.