Follow our progress ...

Stone Cali-Belgique IPA | Stone Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

A California-style IPA with a Belgian twist
AKA Stone Cali-België IPA
First Release:
September 2008

Stone Cali-Belgique IPA features a complex and surprising combination of flavors, but behind the fancy title is the simply delicious Stone IPA. The addition of a carefully selected strain of Belgian yeast adds banana and spice notes to the hoppy brightness of our flagship IPA. Think of it as an otherwise identical twin to Stone IPA that was raised in a Belgian culture. Literally.

Added by gpogo on 07-23-2008

Reviews: 1,088 | Ratings: 3,354
4.22/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Enjoy By 9/6/15.

L -- Pours a hazy golden color with a thick white head that sticks around for a long time and clings to the side, leaving a little lace behind.

S -- Yeasty and a little spicy. Hoppy to a lesser degree, mostly in the form of a light pine scent.

T -- Yeast and hops wrestle together for attention, with the yeast winning out at first. The hops add light citrus, floral flavors to it. The yeast leaves a spicy feel on the tongue in the aftertaste. Letting it warm on the tongue, I get more grapefruit rind and pine. Nearly room temp and banana becomes more prominent.

F -- Crisp, dry, bitter. Light-to-medium body. Reminds of the feel from some of the better Belgian tripels (not the same, but to me, similar).

O -- At first I was a bit confounded, trying to make this into an IPA or Belgian beer in my head. When I gave up making it one or the other, and let it be, it started to grow on me quickly. I ended up enjoying it quite a bit. The flavors seem to work well together, blending into something more than the parts. My favorite sips were the ones that came in piney and ended up yeThe Belgian yeast lends a lot to the scent/flavor/feel and is a good step away from hop bombs or malty marauders. If you have a friend who loves IPAs but was never sold on Belgians, this could be a good transition beer.

4.9/5  rDev +22.8%

Didn't know what to expect from a Belgian IPA with California balls, but I gotta say, this beer kicks ass. It's like drinking a spicy pilsner, but in the style of an IPA. It looked great on tap at Stone, smelt slightly clovey-belgian-y and tasted awesome. Really quite balanced, and actually, when compared to the house IPA at stone, very clean. In fact, the sag you get out of a worn out California yeast compared to this is strikingly noticeable. I'd recommend this to anyone as an interesting beer to try out. Really drinkable too!

4.56/5  rDev +14.3%

Appearance: Color is lighter than I expected, a rather light amber. One and a half finger head that recedes steadily into a nice ring of lacing.

Smell: Fantastic aroma with a great amount of hops and definitely some belgian smell. Very inviting.

Taste: Excellent. Completely unique in comparison to Stone's standard IPA. Lots of hops in excellent balance with the sweetness of the grains. Really shows some Belgian character.

Mouthfeel: Nice carbonation with a very smooth finish. Very good body.

Overall: I really enjoyed this beer. Its original appearance had me going in with lower expectations but then it impressed the rest of the way. This taste was right up my alley and I will be on the lookout for more Belgian IPAs in the future.

4.42/5  rDev +10.8%

I purchased this bottle skeptical about how well Cali would meld with Belgique, but with a deeply-rooted trust in Stone. The best Belgian ales are powerful and complex yet delicate, a quality American brewers often disregard. Stone, however, can seemingly do it all.

A smell unlike anything I've ever encountered, save a greenhouse, greets me kindheartedly, as if presenting me with a wreath of flowers for my triumph in bringing it home to be released to my senses. It's massively floral, hops blending perfectly with the earthy, fruity, and bubble gum/lemon pound cake sweet yeast aroma. Very suitable for the seasonal warmth and dampness.

The head is modest at first, a finger's worth in a fairly wide snifter. It settles thin and wispy but forms a very fine patch of lacing on the glass. The second (more vigorous) pour produces two fingers, The body is a crystal clear, brilliant golden poppy color, and I was surprised to see it was a filtered beer.

The beer is wet on the palate like morning dew. Earthy, fresh, berry fruit with a touch of lime (think mojitos), blending so well with gentle malt sweetness and again some bubble gum, that it seems the ingredients have aged together for centuries. Alas, being filtered I'm not sure how long you could age it. This is unfortunate as my only real gripe with the flavor is that it's maybe a bit too bitter for that Belgian yeast delicacy. It grows on you though.

Hops and spice coat my mouth, pleasant for me but not for all. Definitely an IPA sharpness to it. Trademark Stone.

Not really a session ale, but not supposed to be. I could see drinking a couple because it's so good, but for most, one will satisfy, if not sit heavy.

3.85/5  rDev -3.5%

22oz bottle poured into a tulip.

Color is somewhere between pale amber and gold. Moderate white head, but really good lace.

Very floral and piney in the nose. Fruity and hoppy, but there's something, maybe about the yeast, which is a bit odd.

Taste is almost all hops and yeast. The yeast, agian, adds an odd characteristic. This may be a typical aspect for belgian yeasts, but it just isn't meshing with the rest of the beer. Hops are very citrusy, nice and flowery.

Moutfeel is alright. Drinkable enough, but I might want something else over the course of an evening.

3.48/5  rDev -12.8%

This one pours out a dark gold/orange color, with very minimal head and little lacing. At first there is a lot of carbonation, but it recedes as quickly as the head.

The smell is interesting. It is clearly a combination of a belgian style ale, with a bit of Stone's pale ale scent. There is a definite clove part, along with some light malt sweetness.

There is a lot of spice and herb in the taste, which was expected given the Belgian yeast. There is a bit of hop bitterness, but it is drowned by the sweetness of the malt and the spices.

The mouthfeel is fairly light, but has a distinct bite at the end, probably from the carbonation.

Very drinkable for a Stone beer. Not a whole lot of flavor or heaviness to weigh you down, and enough carbonation to make you feel refreshed, not groggy.

3.83/5  rDev -4%

Poured from a bomber into an oversized wine glass.

A: Golden in color with a very thick and fluffy white head. Retention was very good, and thick layers of lacing coating the glass. Left some nice puddles of foam floating on the surface too.

S: Floral and yeasty, clearly Belgian. The faintest note of IPA-like bitterness. I thought I detected an almost bubblegum-like sweetness like you'd expect with a good wheat style. Very pleasant aroma, but almost a little too muddled at times.

T: Sweetly bitter with a very clean finish. Loads of yeast and toasted malt counterbalanced with the citrusy pine notes of the hops. Very nice light alcohol taste.

M: Lighter in body than what I was expecting. Would have preferred something a bit fuller and thicker for something that would have been characteristic of either a Belgian or an IPA.

D: Very easy to drink, and has a little something for everyone. Two almost completely opposite styles that work well together and should be a good starter for someone looking to expand into either IPAs or Tripels.

3.97/5  rDev -0.5%

Into a tulip.

Nice nose on this one, a little of the yeasty character creeps out from under the massive juicy hops. I take issue with the Cali-heavy approach, but it definitely doesn't make this a bad beer even if I would be hard-pressed to differentiate this from some of the other IPAs from Stone. Would definitely put this above Raging Bitch, too much wheat in that one for me, and looking forward to see how it compares to the Houblon Chouffe chilling in my fridge.

3.52/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pale golden orange, half inch bubbly head
lemon zest, esters, grapefruit, pineapple, wheat, pepper
lemon and orange zest, wheat, ester, yeast, florals
very dry and light, a little abrasive
i hate that belgian shit, so its not great, but I like it better than most belgian shit. gets better as it warms a little

3.94/5  rDev -1.3%

Found this baby in my cellar, I can't remember when I bought it, maybe a year ago. So maybe the hops mellow out.

Very nice straw color, lots of head and lacing, really nice appearance overall.

Smell a bit on the lemony side with some nice hops.

Taste, a bit mellow than I would have thought but that was probably due to age. Some what heavy on the hops, the belgium yeast was a little present but not in your face.

Overall, I enjoyed this and next time will not wait a year to drink it.

4.14/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from a bomber to a tulip glass.

Poured surprisingly hazy. Medium gold color with a white head that didn't last we well as expected.

Surprised to be hit with a bready malt aroma up front. Quickly followed by grapefruit citrus hop aroma, and low levels of spice - a bit of clove an vanilla. Very interesting blend of aromas.

Flavor is complex. Low levels of malty sweetness, with a strong citrus hop flavor. Belgian yeast character is evident in spicy, peppery flavors all through the mouthful. Bitterness builds to that tongue-stripping finish I love about Stone beers. Bitterness and malt become more balanced as the beer warms.

Medium-bodied with medium carbonation. I would like a higher carb level on this beer. Low alcohol warmth. Bitter, dry finish.

Overall a very nice interpretation of the Belgian IPA. I somewhat prefer Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Wild over this one.

3.15/5  rDev -21.1%

A- this beer is like a slightly darker budweiser in color. But to me what gives it extra points is the head. It's foamy a sticks all over my pint glass. Very tiny bubbles coming from the bottom of the glass at all times.

S- when I smell this beer I smell apples and some lemon and banana, with some hints of some hop. Defiantly strikes me as a belgium beer, and defiantly smells likes it will be good.

T- the taste if this beer is dry, and has a firm Belgium flavor. I definatky taste apple lemon and bitter hopsand little bit of spice. The hops come in later and leave a lingering bitterness in my mouth. I really like hoppy beers and especially stone, but this one is not my favorite tasting. However it is still a solid beer anqd great interpretation, and anyone who is looking for something different should give it a try.

It's a good beer and I'm glad I got to try it while it was out. just not my specific taste.

3.83/5  rDev -4%

Poured this into my new goblet and it formed a nice head that slowly died to a small dusting of foam which stuck around. Decent lacing and your typical Belgium golden color to the beer. Instant Belgium candi sweetness hits then the hops right after it. Floral and citrusy with a slight bitterness. As it warms up the sweetness backs off and the hops come to the forefront with more of a bittering hop presence.

~Jonathan Passow

3.7/5  rDev -7.3%

It has a aroma of a typical Belgium ale, it has the scent of banana and bubble gum. The taste has a good flowerily hop taste and luckily, the Belgium yeast does not completely carry through into the taste. Overall, a cool variation on the American IPA.

4.08/5  rDev +2.3%

Ok. If I didn't like cheeseburgers I wouldn't buy a cheeseburger then rate it. If you don't like Belgium yeast why would you buy a beer made from said yeast then give it a bad review knowing beforehand that you don't like the yeast used in brewing. Seems crazy. With that being said.

This beer is good. It's a sweet ipa with a great mouthfeel. It is not far off from what Stone always does and to be honest, it's worth every penny.

Try it once at least. But for Christs sake don't review cheeseburgers if you don't like meat.

3.98/5  rDev -0.3%

With the only difference being the yeast supposedly, there are some major differences. Unlike the Stone IPA (IPA) being a hazy gold color, the Cali-Belgique (CB) is crystal clear. The smell is also drastically different, the aroma is overwhelmed by spicy, belgian yeast aromas with only hints of the pine and citrus. The taste reflects this exactly, tastes like the IPA but overwhelmed by the flavors created by the Belgian Yeast. Overall an ok beer, but I definitely prefer the regular stone IPA. I feel the Belgian yeast hinders the flavor instead of improving it. Still an ok brew though, worth trying out. Especially if your into Belgian style beers.

4.47/5  rDev +12%

Dry peppery and can't believe this is 6.9 for an Abv. A lovely example that I would be happy to belly up to again and again. Just so I can pad the would count from one of my favourite chalices for tastings the Schiltz American Abbey series. Nice residual sweetness balanced against aggressive dry hopping all making for a nice brew.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass. Bottle etching says enjoy by 3/24/11. Pours a very clear and bright golden/banana yellow with two fingers of frothy foam and good carbonation. Great lacing! The nose is rich and complex. A well balanced malt strikes first with classic Belgian ale notes of coriander and banana but there is an extra crisp element to it. It doesn't come across like a classic IPA would but I can definitely detect an element of hoppiness to go along with it. Medium bodied. Coats the entire palate but not in a heavy manner. Carbonation seems a bit low. The palate is very interesting. It comes across as more half Belgian golden ale and half IPA than does the nose. The hops stay with you the entire way but don't dominate at all. They give only a very mild resiny quality but manage to be bright and crisp without being overwhelmingly bitter. You still get enough coriander and malty sweetness to remind you of the Belgian influence. The finish is fairly clean and smooth. Very drinkable. This is a neat beer. Unique but not overly impressive. I'm not disappointed but I was expecting a bit more.

4.04/5  rDev +1.3%

Appearance: A clear golden burgundy, when looking at my fingers through the glass they appear a shade of amber. About a finger of head with little lacing.

Smell: Citrusy, and hoppy, very fresh and springy smell. I wish my laundry smelled this good.

Taste: The hops, barley and yeast in this brew mix together for a fine Grapefruit taste that does not disappoint.

Mouthfeel: Kind of light but creamy at the same time, it's a fine feeling brew, not quite good but fine.

Drinkability: Very nice, I wish Stone would produce this in a sixer as I could go for a few more.

3.65/5  rDev -8.5%

A - Crystal clear, gold in color. Slight head dissipates very quickly to a slight swirl which hangs on indefinately clinging to the side of the glass.

S -Bubble gum and fruity esters collide with a nice floral and resinous hop aroma. The nose is quite interesting though I am not sure how I feel about it.

T - Classic belgian yeast flavors of bubble gum and cloves combined with resiny, citrusy hops make this one of the more interesting beers I have had in a while. It all fits together quite nicely, bringing complexity not often seen in IPA offerings.

M - Medium body held up by a healthy dose of carbonation.

D - Very delicious though I was unsure at first how it would grow on me. Would definately reccommend though probably wouldn't drink it on a regular basis.

4.05/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours a nice golden color with a 2" white head and good lacing. It definitely smells like a Belgian, floral and hoppy. Wow! Tastes like hops and more hops fading to a pleasant grapefruit tang. This is a nice beer for a warm day. Very refreshing.

3.55/5  rDev -11%

Cloudy yellow-orange color with white head. Nice lacing. Sweet, sweet pale malt aroma, with a citrusy hop presence, orange peel. Palate is filled with malt, very very sweet, perhaps too sweet. Citrusy hops really come out in the finish. Bitter and dry. This beer for me is best described as a beer that starts like a triple and ends like an IPA. This beer seems to have two distinct phases. I would like to feel as though everything blended together for a more consistently balanced taste throughout. Contrary to other reviews, I did not think this was closer to the IPA end of the spectrum. I could have used some more hops. The beer is a bit too sweet upfront.

4.42/5  rDev +10.8%

Appearance: A rich golden color. 12-15 SRM, perhaps. Poured clear.

Smell: A bright hoppy nose.

Taste: This is where the ale shines. The Cali-Belgique features a nice balance of a sharp hoppiness and a belgian spiciness.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, smooth but with sharp initial hops

Drinkability: This is my first try at a California IPA/Belgian hybrid. And I liked it! I really enjoyed the belgain influence on the IPA-ness. You get some really nice hop notes but it's not as heavy handed as a lot of IPA's I've tried. I don't know what the availability of this beer is but if you have a chance, it's definitely worth a pint. Or two.

4.08/5  rDev +2.3%

When poured into a glass, this beer settles into a hazy body with a rusty hue. The top is accented by specks of white head.

Aromas erupt with scents of pepper. Some hints of candy sugar add character.

Taste slowly moves in: it is a strong, dry mouth-feel but the flavors of dried figs and currants are what define this beer. Hops add some of the peppery spice to back up the sweetness.

Clean, well balanced characteristics make this hybrid a nice drink: complex yet easy.

3.98/5  rDev -0.3%

22 oz bomb, into a chilled pint glass.

The pour was good, an oranges gold. A freshly oiled oak cabinet look. About 3/4-1 inch head sat ontop for a good while leaving a nice film.

A semi spicy aroma. This blends with a little bit of hop and oak ish smells. All of which a little faint.

Finding a surprising spice in the flavor as well. Maybe white pepper, there is a little lemon, and some green on the back of the pallet. A bitter fresh hop.

There wa a little more texture than I originally saw from the first pour. But when re-filling my glass I saw the visible viscosity that it possesses. A little heavier than I'd like.

I like it, just not lovin it. But keep up the good work stone.
$4.99 bottle

Stone Cali-Belgique IPA from Stone Brewing Co.