Stone Cali-Belgique - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Cali-BelgiqueStone Cali-Belgique

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian IPA |  6.90% ABV

Beer added by: gpogo on 07-23-2008

Reviews: 1,030 | Hads: 3,069
4.3/5  rDev +7.2%

A: Medium dark chestnut brown color with a thick layer of white head which quickly subsides to a thin layer

S: There is a dominate aroma of pine and citrus hops which a heavy dose of orange and grapefuit smells. There is also a noticeable influence of the belgian yeast...fruity and spicy with a bit of honey sweetness in the backgroud

T: The hops are again dominate here, with a nice bitterness and citrus flavors. There are also definate flavors from the yeast, an earthy, herbal, spicy combination.

M: Moderately heavy on the palate with a fine carbonation

D: Very enjoyable. The addition of the Belgian yeast provides a nice twist to a typical IPA. Very very tasty brew here. (685 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +15.2%

In an attempt to "catch up" on my Beers of 2012 project, I am revisiting some old favorites. The Cali-Belgie from Stone Brewing is one that I've often labeled as my favorite from this West Coast Hop-head brewery. I had never been much of a hop-head myself and frequently found the beers from Stone a little too intense for my preference. I think my tastes have changed pretty drastically over the past few months, so Sara and I are revisiting this interesting little guy.

Stone Cali-Belgie is a twist on one of their old favorites. The brewers take their traditional IPA recipe but substitute a strain of Belgian yeast, giving just a little something 'extra.' The Cali-Belgie pours out a bright golden color with lots of soft, fluffy white foam. Foam is bountiful at first but fades slowly leaving just a small amount of lacing on the side of my Chimay glass.

The aromas of this IPA are far more interesting than I remember! There is definitely some mild hops present but they're much softer style than Stone is usually known for. The hops aromas are dominated by the floral/lightly citrus style hops without being too in-your-face or pungent. There is also a very interesting banana quality to it, very reminiscent of Juicy Fruit chewing gum.

On the palate I'm really surprised by how sweet this "IPA" is! Now don't get me wrong, there is a significant amount of hops on the tongue, but like the nose suspected its a very soft, smooth, and floral hops character. The citrus & banana component is uncanny! It tastes almost as if you were just chewing some Juicy Fruit and took a sip of a Stone IPA, it is absolutely wild!

During the time it took for us to work on this bottle of Cali-Belgie, we also had a few customers inquire about our half-full glasses. One guy was originally going to buy Bud Light but wanted to try something new. After just a couple sips of the Cali-Belgie he was converted. There are few things more satisfying than converting a Bud Light drinker to serious craft beer! (1,997 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Enjoy By 9/6/15.

L -- Pours a hazy golden color with a thick white head that sticks around for a long time and clings to the side, leaving a little lace behind.

S -- Yeasty and a little spicy. Hoppy to a lesser degree, mostly in the form of a light pine scent.

T -- Yeast and hops wrestle together for attention, with the yeast winning out at first. The hops add light citrus, floral flavors to it. The yeast leaves a spicy feel on the tongue in the aftertaste. Letting it warm on the tongue, I get more grapefruit rind and pine. Nearly room temp and banana becomes more prominent.

F -- Crisp, dry, bitter. Light-to-medium body. Reminds of the feel from some of the better Belgian tripels (not the same, but to me, similar).

O -- At first I was a bit confounded, trying to make this into an IPA or Belgian beer in my head. When I gave up making it one or the other, and let it be, it started to grow on me quickly. I ended up enjoying it quite a bit. The flavors seem to work well together, blending into something more than the parts. My favorite sips were the ones that came in piney and ended up yeThe Belgian yeast lends a lot to the scent/flavor/feel and is a good step away from hop bombs or malty marauders. If you have a friend who loves IPAs but was never sold on Belgians, this could be a good transition beer. (1,328 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +1.7%

Two great tastes that go great together?

Reunited, and it feels so good?

No discernable dating. Bomber from Beverage Mart, NY 66.

Beautiful day-glo cloudy orange. Head lingers, and lingers, and lingers. Great lacing. Scent is a great mix of hops and the spicy/fruity notes you'd expect from a belgian style ale.

Taste, wow. This is a perfect blend of IPA and belgian ale. I have no idea how they did it. The fruit/spice is up front, with the hops kicking in later. Stone, you've done it again. I will definitely be trying this again soon. (542 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -5.7%

A- Nice orange color with a long lasting head. The head was large and lasted a long ten minutes.

S- When the beer was first poured there was a great deal of hop aroma. With a backing of Belgian yeast. As the beer warmed up Cali-Belgique turned into a yeasty aroma and then hops.

T- Hops nail the tongue bringing a citrus and fruit mouthful. The taste turns into a yeasty profile. The hops and yeast blend well and are balanced. This beer is not super bitter.

M- Medium body with soft carbonation.

D- Overall this is a great beer that is different from all of the other brews Stone puts out. (596 characters)

Poured a clear golden glow in my glass with an impressive 2 finger head. Smell is all about the hops, citrus and floral. I don't really smell the Belgique part of this one but it still smells delicious. The taste is a first for me. Very hop forward then finishes with the the spicy Belgian yeast. I really enjoyed this one because it was not like anything I have had. Mouthfeel was medium bodied with the good carbonation and overall very enjoyable. (449 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +5.2%

Another very grateful gift from DaveCooks. In the fridge for about 6 months. Opened March 09.

A - Pours fluffy 2 finger head, lingering and lacing to start but doesnt hold the way down. Sexy clear golden color. One of the best looking beers of that color i've seen.

S - woah yummy. Flowers. But not typical hoppy, more like sweet garden flower type. Some citrus notes as well.

T - I dont know what to think. Ha. I have had the Green Flash belgian ipa and this one has it's own character...obviously. The finish is very ipa...can feel the drying and hop notes. Starts off sweet and a bit chewy. Quiet nice. I am really enjoying this. Mouthfeel is full and lingering. Again. lovely.

D - Dangerously drinkable. Light enough that it doesnt fill you up and the alcohol is very well disguised.

Had a hard time scoring this one b/c it is so easily enjoyed. Tried to back off the ratings a bit b/c the Le Freak I remember being more impressive on the palate but this is a very strong contender. (992 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a bomber into a tulip

Pours a light golden, very clear, with a thick white head. Leaves good lacing behind.

Aroma is sweet, spicy and bitter. Great hop aroma, but good balance from the yeast, leaving a fruity characteristic that just goes beautifully.

Taste is hop-forward, but again, great influence from the Belgian characteristics of this beer. Nice malty backbone, and spiciness really adds character.

Little bit astringent on the mouthfeel, overall medium with high-average carbonation.

Very interesting beer, similar to a Raging Bitch, but not quite as good in my opinion. (596 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Light clear amber gold color. Pours with a small, maybe quarter inch head that slowly dissipates.

S - Smells of hops along with fruit and citrus.

T - The front taste is a strong hop taste along with some bitterness, followed by fruit flavors especially citrus fruits.

M - Very thin in the mouth, smooth with not a lot of carbonation

D - Pretty good hybrid of the California IPA and a Belgian, definitely a beer a would sip to get all the flavors. But I could see myself drinking more than one of these in a night.

Overall a good beer from stone that represents the two styles well. (593 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Great choice if your usual Belgian is letting u down. I prefer this in general because I live in MN & most STONE beers don't let me down. Cheers!!!!!!!! (154 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +8.5%

Had the chance to try this again on tap at the Alamo Draft House. Belgian aspects were way more prevalent than in the bottle, and it was beautifully balanced between spicy tripel and hoppy IPA. This was damn enjoyable to drink. All of the qualities I picked up on in my previous review were there, but they were much more harmonious this time around. (350 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -4.5%

A- Clear golden color with an eggshell head...some decent lacing..

S- Citrusy...citrusy...citrusy...faint hops...and even fainter malts...(not bad, but not as complex as I was hoping)

T- As it smells...but more balanced...pretty tasty...

M- Nice, decently balanced...crisp and somewhat dry...

D- A good beer that seems to fall in line with (if not edge out) most of the other, what I would call, 'hybrid beers'...worth a try, but probably won't knock your socks off... (472 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +19.7%

I just wish I would have bought more than one and I hope when I got back tomorrow that they still have a couple in stock.

This is a bloody good brew. From the smell to the taste to the aftertaste, great all the way through.

I am not all that strong in my Belgian beers, but from what I have been told, most of the aspects of this brew make this a great Belgian.

To be honest, there is not a lot I can say about this brew that you cannot get from your first taste. I am not a fan of a perfect brew, but this is bloody good...

Highly recommend this brew. And, best of all, it's not all that pricey for a bomber (5.99 where I live). (634 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +13.5%

Pours a deep golden color with a generous white head that leaves a sticky lacing. Aroma is of citrus - orange and strawberries, with pine notes and a hint of vanilla. Taste is marvelously balanced, with the citrus and vanilla qualities muting the hops at first, but finishing bitter after all. Extremely complex beer! (317 characters)

A- cloudy, copper color

S- piney, very nice aroma

T- it was good, hops and a little bit of yeast

M- very clean, smooth, nice carbonation

D- drinkable, had no problem with knockin it back

overall, great beer, expensive though, worth a try, prolly not with the price though when you can just get Stone's normal IPA (317 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -1%

Appearance: Slightly murky light orange with a fluffy white head

Smell: Initially hops with a mild mix of floral and doughy aroma

Taste: First the hops jump out but are quickly muted by the yeast kicking in. Pine and fruit flavors are balanced nicely.

Mouthfeel: Lighter and smoother than expected.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. Split the 22 oz bomber but could have easily enjoyed the entire bottle myself. (412 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -1.2%

22 oz bomber poured into tulip.

A - Light golden with no haze. Nice creamy white head that forms big easily. Good, lasting, sticky lacing. The rings leave a record of how many sips it takes to finish a glass of this brew.

S - Amazing what a change in yeast can do. Stone's IPA has a good hoppy aroma. This brew has a good yeasty aroma - a nice funky semi-spicy breadiness with very mild hop undertones. Very pungent - in a very delicious way.

T - Of the few Belgian IPA examples I have tasted (all American interpretations), this one is the most "Belgian". This one is straight in-line with the nose. The interplay of yeast and hop flavor profiles is wonderfully complex from first hint to lingering finish.

M - Excellent - well matched to the style.

D - Compared to other examples I've had, the alcohol content is fairly low, allowing you to drink this all night. However, this is no slammer - the complexity begs to be sipped. (934 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +4%

My friend showed up with a fresh Growler from stone. Poured a yellow amber color with white head. I hadn't had this beer in a while, but the smell took me right back. Strong earthy and floral hop aromas. Taste the same with a bit of spiciness and a good dose of fruit/citrus. Good mouthfeel any very drinkable. The alcohol is very well hidden in this. I enjoy this one over raging bitch anyday. Ill usually buy this whenever I can. Good shit. (442 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -17.5%

Poured section of Cali-Belgique bomber into a pint glass:

A: Definitely appears to be an IPA. It's that perfect yellow/orange color that gets you excited. A great 2-finger head materializes, and sparse bubbles congregate around the edge of the glass. Exquisite retention; lacing is full and frothy.

S: I expect the familiar hops and citrus I've come to love, but instead there's the peppery, earthy smell distinctive to Belgian white ales. The hops and citrus are buried. I'm curious for a taste...

T: As expected from the smell: peppery, smokey, kind of burnt flavor. The IPA flavor is subtle and takes over more towards the end. After a few sips it grows on you.

M: Superb. Everything I look for is here: excellent flavor transfer, light/medium body, and dry finish.

O: This was a very interesting experience for me. Ultimately though, I think I'll stick to normal IPAs. Definitely something to check out, but not really for me. (936 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Pours light yellow clear.

Overall: Started out bitter like an IPA but then added nice citrus and spicy Belgian yeasty flavors. Smooth yet crisp and overall a good IPA. (180 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Stone IPA + Belgian yeast = Awesomeness. Moderately hazy, golden with foamy white head. Nice lacing that stays put. Bready aromas, slight fruitiness. A nice mellow hopiness flavor with that subtle hint of banana bread from the yeast. Pulls together nicely. Lightly carbonated with subtle stickiness that works. (311 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +3.2%

Visual: Pale straw, gold in color. No head. Minimal lacing.

Nose: Lemon, grain, white wine, fruity yeast, and some kind of spice (coriander?).

Taste: Yum. Spices, wheat, lemon, alchol, grapefruit, apple tart. Balanced, finishes with very mild bitterness.

Mouth: Carbonation settles quickly to leave a smooth feel. Medium body.

Overall: A well done Belgian IPA. (364 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -5.7%

The familiar smell of Belgian yeast and bread malt combines with that of floral hops introduces you to a melding of styles that get along but don't necessarily want to spend their lives together. The clove and spicy sweetness of a Belgian dominates the initial flavor of this beer before giving way to the piney hop bitterness that is there at the finish but never dominates in any way. For a hophead like me, the IPA contribution is weak, but noble.

This is not a beer that I would be quick to come back to, but I love Stone brewing, and this is a nice offering in the style. (577 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured in a Dogfish Head tulip glass, pours a golden straw color, the smell lets you know that this is very much so a Stone IPA with a citrus, and a floral aroma. Taste is hop forward very similar to a fresh Stone IPA but with a fruity character from the yeast. Very drinkable, the best of both worlds- California hops and Belgian yeast. (337 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours a smooth and lovely golden orange with a nice but modest foam and good lacing. Nose is big on citrus, hops, and some caramel with a bit of spicy Belgian essence. Great body with a lot of big fruit and citrus flavor with that characteristic Stone whoop-ass feeling. Good hop flavor and pretty bitter, but at first on the way down, you notice a lot more of the Belgian yeast flavor and some pretty chewy notes. Finishes nice and bitter with that wonderful spicy Belgian taste. Wow. This is an incredibly creative beer, and my mouth is watering over my subsequent sips. Bravo. (579 characters)

Stone Cali-Belgique from Stone Brewing Co.