Follow our progress ...

Stone Cali-Belgique IPA | Stone Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

A California-style IPA with a Belgian twist
AKA Stone Cali-België IPA
First Release:
September 2008

Stone Cali-Belgique IPA features a complex and surprising combination of flavors, but behind the fancy title is the simply delicious Stone IPA. The addition of a carefully selected strain of Belgian yeast adds banana and spice notes to the hoppy brightness of our flagship IPA. Think of it as an otherwise identical twin to Stone IPA that was raised in a Belgian culture. Literally.

Added by gpogo on 07-23-2008

Reviews: 1,088 | Ratings: 3,353
2.24/5  rDev -43.9%

I have been on an IPA kick lately and I picked this up on one of my recent shopping sprees... I feel like I had it at some point in the past but couldn't remember for sure so I snagged one...

Appearance; pours a lovely crisp goldenrod color, head went kinda crazy for me on this one (I may have had a violent pour...) i got three fingers of nice white head, started off with super fine bubbles, with a few large ones interspersed, the head gave way to larger bubbles not unlike bubble bath... Lacing is ok, retention is poor, all that's left of the the three fingers of head is a thin film.

Smell; smell is just kind of off... It's got a slightly pungent aroma similar to other belgians I can remember with a hint of honey and some slight pine hop aromas in there...

Taste; unfortunately was not what I was expecting... Its kind of a mish mash of an IPA and a Belgian, as if a drunken bartender somewhere starting pouring an IPA for someone who ordered a Belgian and rather than dumping or setting aside the IPA, added the belgian to what was already in the glass... Belgian yeast flavor dominates this and I get the slightest pine and hop bitterness on the finish.

Mouthfeel; effervescent, much like Belgians I've had in the past, but aside from that fairly unremarkable, generally speaking I prefer thicker, full bodies beers, and this falls in the light body category in my opinion, which isn't bad, just not exactly what I was expecting...

Overall; I really feel like I'm trashing this beer unfortunately, however I am being honest with my impressions. I feel like Cali-Belgique does two things half as well as a beer that does one thing pretty well... Kind of brings the saying "jack of all trades, master of none" to my mind. Perhaps this is simply a style I am incapable of appreciating and I'll likely revisit this one at some point a couple more times at varying intervals to give it (and any changes my palate goes through) another shot.

4.06/5  rDev +1.8%

Bomber poured into a tulip.

A-Pours a bubbly golden with a finger of white head that quickly fades.

S-Smells of Belgian yeast with a background of hops, citrus and floral notes.

T-Sweet Belgian funky yeast followed by a hoppy bitterness.

M-Smooth medium body, moderate carbonation.

O-Leave it to stone to make the best Belgian IPA. There's a really great balance between Belgian yeast and hoppy bitterness.

3.88/5  rDev -2.8%

Thanks to Oakedcanuck for the extra on our last trade.

Great example of a belgian style IPA. Extremely balanced malt/hop mix with a nice amount of belgian spicy yeast coming through. Shared with two other guys but left me wanting more.

Very good beer.

4.38/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a pretty gold and looks very much like Stone IPA. An inch of head and nice lacing. I get mango and bright citrus and pine on the nose. Taste is spectacularly bright and sticky, as I expected. Slightly sweet on the front with notes of pineapple, mango and juniper. As it warms, the maltiness comes out. Effervescence is great and the finish is dry. Very drinkable. A lot like Stone's regular IPA but a bit more fruity. Delicious and very drinkable.

3.7/5  rDev -7.3%

It's an interesting tasting. Initially I thought I would really dig this but as I got into it, it wasn't as impressive as expected. The appearance is a beautiful golden; the smell is a sweet malty, yeasty mix. The taste is hoppy with a fruitty malty mix. Didn't quite get the wit taste that I've heard about but the IPA definitely stood out. At the middle and end of tasting it was kinda strange. I could drink this again but will not go out of the way for it.

3.6/5  rDev -9.8%

A: Slightly cloudy amber color with a nice head and decent retention and lacing.

S: Very interesting yeasty in that typical Belgian way, but with slight citrus hoppiness in there too. Makes sense I guess. ;)

MF: Medium body with that prickly gassy belgian quality,

T: There is some bready malt, but that is quickly dominated by the yeasty-ness. I found some hoppiness in there of course, but the yeast was too much.

Overall: I split this with a friend and I'm glad I did. I don't think I would've finished the whole bomber. It certainly is interesting, but I'm generally not a huge fan of the Duvel style Belgians and this was too much of that for me. I'm trying to be fair in my grade as this was something I wanted to try, but the style is not for me.

4.32/5  rDev +8.3%

Pour from bomber to tulip.

Two inches of off white head - some spotty lacing. Hazy copper/orange body. Very clean aroma. Smells of Belgian yeast, spices, cloves, meyer lemon. Mild cereal grain. Taste is hop dominant, but not overpowering. Some malty sweetness and a bitter finish. Mouthfeel is refreshing, but a little thin. overall a solid beer i could see myself going back to again and again.

3.83/5  rDev -4%

A - Clear pale yellow with a nice meringue head that doesn't stick around very long.

S - Hops and Belgian yeast. Nothing very special here.

T - That unmistakable Belgian yeast hits you up front. Very nice piny hops come through afterward. A bit of lemongrass and honey. It's got a nice bitterness to it that I really like.

M - Nice body and great carbonation.

D - Smooth going down.

3.89/5  rDev -2.5%

Golden and fizzy.

You get the Belgian nose at first, but when you dig deeper, you can find some earthy hops. More grassy than citrusy, but they're there.

Take Stone IPA, take all the bite away, and you get Stone Cali-Belgique. Belgian yeast comes through and gives it a wheat-like finish at times.

I'm not upset I tried it, but I don't think I'd revisit this beer.
I like more over-the-top IPAs, and this certainly isn't it.
It's refined, and I'm sure it would appeal to people who don't enjoy beers with higher ABVs.

4.72/5  rDev +18.3%

I was very excited to finally try this beer and bought one the day my order came in.

Poured out a perfect crisp golden color with an off-white head that leaves behind perfect lacing down the glass.

There is an amazing aroma on this one. Sweet citrus hops and Belgian influenced sugar aromas. Great bitterness present as well hiding beneath the sweetness.

The first flavors hitting my tongue are those from the delicious west-coast hopping style that are recognizable from the base Stone IPA. Across the middle the Belgian yeast influences really come out to play and dance across the palate. On the back end there is a clinging bitterness that sticks in the back of your throat for awhile. All around very very delicious.

The mouthfeel is exactly what I would want out of a Belgian IPA. Lively, medium bodied and with great carbonation. The drinkability is very high here. Everything is in perfect balance and the ABV is almost at a sessionable level. I would love to drink these all night long. Really an amazing beer.

4.07/5  rDev +2%

Cali-Belgique pours a nice golden color with a massive rocky head that leaves stubborn lacing all the way down. Smell is of Belgian yeast, and citrusy hops. Taste is of grapefruit and lemony zest with a belgian yeast background. Mouthfeel is fresh and crisp, excellent carbonation. Drinkability is very high, almost too high. I could sip on this masterpiece till the sun rises. Love Stone!!!

3.7/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle.

A: Poured clear gold/orange with about two fingers for white head, good retention, and lots of lacing an
S: Floral, hops, fruity, citrus, lemon. Much like their IPA but more fruit in my opinion, not just citrus but sweet fruits like peaches or something similar.
T: Peaches, cherries, pineapple, lemon grapefruit, hops, spiciness, and a not-too-much bitterness. This is where this beer feels very different from their IPA, much more sweet and fruity.
M: Very carbonated, smooth.
D: This was pretty interesting, another good one from Stone. I made sure to have their IPA directly afterwards to note the differences, which are definitely in its fruity sweetness. Worth checking out.

3.63/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Great choice if your usual Belgian is letting u down. I prefer this in general because I live in MN & most STONE beers don't let me down. Cheers!!!!!!!!

4.23/5  rDev +6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a biggun

A: Golden, light tinge of amber. Bubbly and exciting. Nice pillowy head, but low head retention.

S: Yeasty, doughy, citrus, lemongrass.

T: Undeniably Belgique. Lemony, yet sweet. Good deal of complexity going on here. Similar to New Belgium's Belgo IPA, yet more restrained, thought not necessarily more refined. Both are great, and super similar in their hop profile, and yeast profile. Not as ballsy as some Stone offerings, but this one is quaffable, as well as giving you plenty to contemplate.

M: Medium bodied, high carbonation.

O: I re-iterate, similar in spirit to the Belgo IPA from New Belgium, but certainly bares the marks of its brewery. Lacked the hoppy freshness a lot of other Stone brews have.

had it on draft before, but no notes...

poured from a bomber to a ABA pint glass: yields a tiny little head (less than one finger). the body is a cloudy-hazy bright orange color. some pretty decent lacing around the glass.

hops and the belgian yeast notes rule this one. you get some hops (citrus) and then some spiciness, and a aroma that i can only say is belgian yeast. can't put it into words exactly.

not as hoppy flavored like the regular IPA. there are some of the mentioned spicy notes, and some hops flavor as well. the malts are not playing in this one much. a nice dry finish.

i'm guessing i expected the carbonation to be a bit higher on this one, but the lower level does suit it to a degree. a little over medium for body.

for it's strength (which is well masked) this beer is pretty easy to drink provided the spice is up your alley.

3.95/5  rDev -1%

A- Pours a nice dark gold with a bunch of carbonation bubbles. Nice one finger white head with think lacing.

S- Spicy and bitter hops with some citrus fruits. Nice pleasing aroma. Some pines and malts also show up.

T - Good bite from the hops balanced with spices and light fruits. Great balanced taste.

M- Good carbonation makes it a crisp refreshing brew. Light/medium body.

D- Great drinkability. Interesting and easy to drink. Go Stone !

4.56/5  rDev +14.3%

Pours a hazy straw like color with a two finger head that fades quickly leaving excellent lacing.

Smell is soapy and spicy with notes of mustard seed, sage, thyme, coriander and peppercorns. Slight hints of toasted oats. Yeasty and distinctly Belgian.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp. Yeasty, malty and floral, the taste follows the nose with cracked white pepper, hints of sage and coriander mingled with thyme and rosemary. A tropical hop backbone of citrus provides an integral yet understated contrast to the overwhelming floral taste. Finishes dry with a baked banana-esque toasted cereal sweetness.

Highly quaffable, an excellent example of the style.

4.62/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a pint glass. My bottle reads "Cali-Belgie"

Pour gets a two finger head that leaves a good amount of really sticky lace. Color is a nice pale yellow and it's virtually clear. Just a bit of carbonation visible.

As soon as I put my nose into it I get a nice funky smell - there's the Belgian yeast. A nice lemony/citrus/zesty smell is just beneath that funk.

Taste is awesome. Hop taste is quite grassy. The hops don't knock you over at all as some other Stone brews do. There's somewhat of a smooth grainy character to it, and the lemony notes from the nose come across mid-sip. Mouthfeel is very smooth and easy drinking.

This is a nice variation of a traditional AIPA.

2.57/5  rDev -35.6%

Poured from the bomber into a Sam Adams sensory glass.

A: It pours a weak orange-goldish color with very minimal head. Fairly clear for a Belgian yeast strain, almost translucent, but a slight opaqueness in the thickest part of the glass. Good level of carbonation rising from the nucleation points. Nothing special.

S: Pretty strong nose on this. Spicy hops with Belgian frutiness and a bit of the sour funky banana one would expect, almost a rotten note hiding under there. I like the strength but it's not super enticing.

T: It hits the mouth with this weird light foaminess, almost tasteless at first. Slightly lemony, creamy. After the bitter effervescence clears some very mild breadiness shows up. Ultimately this tastes more like a highly carbonated mineral water with lemon than a beer - it's weak and a big let down. The finish is long and alkaline. Really not good.

M: The high carbonation levels give it good body, it's a nice thickness that outdoes the taste by far. A bit too carbonated, however.

D: I drank my bomber fairly quickly because I kept taking sips to try to describe whatever flavors I could find in this beer. It's really not tasty in the least, and doesn't leave you wanting more.

One of the overall worst beers released by a craft brewery in the past few years. Awful.

3.63/5  rDev -9%

Picked up at Total Wine on a recent visit. Poured a 22oz bottle into my Stone IPA Stemware.

This one pours a bright golden color with an orange tint. Perfect clarity. My pour brought on a two-finger dense rocky head that subsided to a cap and left a thick ring of lace. One of the best collars of foam I have seen.

The smell is somewhat unimpressive. Herbal hops are very faint. A hint of sweetness from the Belgian yeast. I much prefer the citrusy goodness of the standard IPA.

Taste is fairly decent. Nice herbal hops fill the mouth. A mild tartness and a bit dry. An interesting mix of flavors, but I could use a bit more sweetness to round out the hops.

The mouthfeel is good. A bit effervescent with a nice dry, almost mouth-puckering finish. The dryness enhances the drinkability, however I won't reach for this one all too often. Overall a good beer, but Stone has plenty better.

4.27/5  rDev +7%

Poured into my brand new Duvel tulip. Light copper color with a tight head that dissipates but never dissappears.

Smell is excellent and unique. Predominate smell I get is apricot. Also a floral, nectar-like scent that reminds me of honeysuckle.

Taste builds on this by adding some resiny pine and a sharp bitterness that blends nicely with the sharp crisp finish.

I like the carbonation. Along with the dryness in the finish, this is what reminded me of a traditional Belgian trippel.

Very drinkable.

4.09/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

A: Pours a light amber with an off-white head that quickly dissipates into a thin cap. nice lacing left behind on glass.

S: Pine and fruity yeast that I immediately associated with belgian ales.

T: This is a perfect marriage of the greatest aspects of a California IPA and a Belgian strong ale. Hoppy bitterness up front and a champagne-esque fruitiness on the back end.

M: Medium-heavy. The flavors linger in its viscosity.

D: I could easily throw back one too many of these.

3.87/5  rDev -3%

Pours a hazed golden yellow, pure white head with dashes of lace here and there.

Smells really interesting, hops, marzipan, and fig newtons come to mind, sort of a sour-sweet smell.

Tastes like plums, with a solid licorice bitterness as a backdrop. On the lighter side of the flavor spectrum, but still quite tasty.

Nice light carbonation from the Belgian yeast, but has an almost oily, rotten fruit finish.

Overall it's worthy of the Stone name.

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

Belgian IPA? I say yes!

For the price, this is one of my go to beers at nearly any supermarket that lacks anything interesting or new for me to try.

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

I think I'm missing the point on this beer. All I taste is IPA.

The appearance is typical of an IPA, straw colored with moderate head. The aroma is dominated by hops. Hops dominate the flavor, as well, from the initial flavor to the lingiring bitterness. Mouthfeel is good, but nothing special.

Other than the fact that this seems sligtly more attenuated than Stone IPA, I'm not really seeing much of a difference. Not a bad beer, but I'm not getting it.

Stone Cali-Belgique IPA from Stone Brewing Co.