Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Stone Cali-Belgique - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Cali-BelgiqueStone Cali-Belgique

Avg: 4
Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian IPA |  6.90% ABV

Beer added by: gpogo on 07-23-2008

Reviews: 1,036 | Hads: 3,106
3.99/5  rDev -0.2%

Bottle from Beer Run, Charlottesville, VA - one of six they got in. Poured into a snifter and split four ways.

Appearance: A crystal-clear orange with a one-finger white head, slightly off-white, with medium retention that fades into a frothy foamy ring.

Aroma: Strong juicy fruit, Nugget Nectar-like, grass, mint, basil, strong sweet and lightly roasted malts. A light yeasty twang. Banana bread as it warms. Belgian spices. Floral. Sweet and syrupy as it warms further. A really nice aroma.

Taste: Dry hopping is assertive, strong bitterness, slightly bready, a little bit of a roasted edge, a little more of a banana/other fruity edge. The dry hopping on this one seems a little off - it reminds me of a great Belgian IPA in the nose, but the taste seems just a little strange, though it is interesting.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and of a medium thickness, with a medium level of carbonation - even a bit low, perhaps. Leaves a bit of a film, as well.

Drinkability: Nice, and really does add a whole new element to the Stone IPA. And everything works really well, in my opinion, with the exception of that dry hopping, which just sort of seems ... well, off. The alcohol is, like the Stone IPA, just fine, well hidden and of a reasonable level. The aroma is out of this world ... the rest is just a little bit of a letdown. Still, a great beer, and one I'm glad I got a chance to try. Maybe tweaking the regular Stone IPA recipe a little for its Belgification would yield a slightly improved taste?

3.8/5  rDev -5%

Bottle split with Chris (CrellMoset). Dan (dkachur), and Mark, bartending at our local watering hole.

A: A crisp golden... clean and straight forward amber. A rather nice head, leaving a sheeting of patchy lace.

S: Aroma is a high point of this brew. The nice floral and herbal scents along with the standard citrus. If flowers smelled a little sweeter. Quite nice.

T: Herbal, leafy, citrus, and bitter with a little bit of a fruity esters, thanks to the yeasty esters. Almost an apple taste with the lemon rind. Not too shabby.

M + D: A nice shimmering carbonation, giving to it the bit of a foamy mouthfeel that I appreciate. A solid brew... the standard Stone IPA would be more likely to be a regular offering in my fridge, but this one is a nice treat.

4/5  rDev 0%

22 oz bomber from South Bay Drugs. Pours a fairly standard golden orange, but with a nice head thatsticks around as a cap. It's amazing what the adddition of a different yeast will do. I like Stone IPA quite a bit, and I like this as well, but the addition of Belgian yeast to the IPA has yielded an entirely different beer. This beer smells and tastes bready and meaty- almost of bacon. There are the standard Stone IPA hop flavors of citrus and lingering piney bitterness, but this bacony breadiness with some tangy notes overlies that. Unusual, and takes a bit of getting used to, but I like it.

3.95/5  rDev -1.3%

Belgian IPA, makes me think of a retake on the Old Reese's Peanut butter cups commercial only with beer drinkers involved. "You Got Ruination in my Duvel! You Got Duvel in my Ruination! Sips...GREAT!"

Poured in my Duvel Tulip I have a brilliantly clear copper colored ale with a good off-white to neat tan colored head. Beautiful beer in the glass.

Smell is sweet and herbal with a remarkably spicy aroma supposedly all from yeast and hops. Aroma of apricot, cloves, spice, grapefruit, citrus, orange and pinesap. Fainter woody and melon scents.

The taste starts out sweet and woody with a bone dry aftertaste. There is an earthy flavor here that is hard to place, something like half cork and half mushroom. Decent amount of bitterness present but honestly I would call this a Belgian American Style Pale Ale flavor wise.

Mouthfeel is good and full yet dry.

Pretty drinkable even though flavor is it's weak point. Not that it tastes bad at it is just light dry and refresh, not complex. Pretty much I beer I will try every year it comes out.

4.27/5  rDev +6.7%

A big thanks goes to ducksfan for this one!
This beer pours a clear golden color with a two inch white fluffy head. Smells of sweet grapefruit and Belgian yeast. The taste is similar to the smell. Very citrusy with grapefruit and a clean finish. The mouthfeel is smooth, has a light body with lots of carbonation and is a little chewy. Drinkability is very good, I had no problem finishing this bomber. Overall a great beer from Stone.

3.85/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Deep gold, clear, with a perfect 1/2 inch of white foam holding on nicely. Nice aroma of lemon/orange fruit rind, dusted with a nice Belgian yeast note. There is a touch of honey-sweetness in the aroma, but it leans more toward a tangy fruitiness.

The flavor seems to have a sharpness that carries all the way through to the finish. The bitterness is nice, although it leans on being astringent. Those classic Belgian pale flavors are a bit subdued, and the complexity is lost somewhat. The mouthfeel is pretty light, and the carbonation is quite intense as it darts into the tongue. The carbonation needs to be more foamy and less spritzy to be more like a true Belgian pale.

All in all this was a decent attempt for Stone at what is at least partially a Belgian beer. Considering the disappointment of most of the Vertical Epic series, this was actually almost a step up. Worth a try, but don't expect it to be anything close to a Choffe Houblon...

2.61/5  rDev -34.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A - Appearance is clear copper color with a tall off white head.

S - Spice and grains backed up by some citrus hops.

T - Spice and grains. The hops aren't easily detected.

M - Thin and unremarkable.

D - Too much spice for me, but if you like the Vertical Epic release you will probably like this as well.

This is definitely not my style. That being said if you like strongly spiced beers you'll enjoy this one. I would attempt to describe the spice but I dislike this one so much I don't care to try.

4.27/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours clear gold with a half inch head of white. Retention is short-lived and a partial skim coat remained throughout the glass. A few dots of lacework also.

Aromatics lead off with a blend of grapefruit, apricots, spruce, and phenols.
A hint of lemon and earthy pepper follow through. Fairly aromatic but not pungent or extremely floral.

Medium bodied, crisp and drying. A very snappy mouthfeel.

Ripe fruit, bitter citrus pith, and crisp malt start the pallet. Grapefruit, peach pits, lemon seeds, and pine resin.
A firm, drying bitterness steps quickly forward, followed by some warming alcohol, clovey phenols, and a trace of bready malt.

Finishes with a chaulky dryness, lingering bitterness, and fading tropical fruit with pine bark.

Tasty..Of the three recent hoppy Belgians from Stone, this one is the the biggest all around. The VE '08 is the most subdued with the hops, followed by the Collaboration, and then this one.

4.3/5  rDev +7.5%

on tap at the BA Belgian fest yesterday, and reviewed based on notes, pours lighter amber, clear under an initially fluffy and dense off white head. I got resiny hops, some lime in the nose. Fruity, hoppy, yeast going on here. Complex, tasty offering. I love the regular Stone IPA, love the Belgian addition..so enjoying this one is a no brainer...I'd love to see this one in bottles locally sometime soon

3.8/5  rDev -5%

A: Crystal Clear golden tan. Pours with a nice 2 finger head that settles to nothing quite rapidly.

S: Smells like spring in the spice islands. I've never tried a Belgium beer b4,and I won't count this as my first(maybe stone knows that and made this just for me!).

T: When I was at Stone a few months back I'd herd that the guys went over to the abbys on an "education" excursion. If this is what they learned I'll take it!

M: Pretty neat. I like this beer. A nice way to mix up their ipa. Feels like I'm broading my horizons, but then I remember it's from San Diego.

D: A good fall brew. The spice is making me think of the coming holidays(where did the year go??).

4.2/5  rDev +5%

This beer tastes like a mix of Stone IPA and Belgian, and it's on purpose and spot on.

This beer is faithful to it's name. Tastes eactly like a mix of California IPA with more than a touch of Belgian. Hint of bubble gum-Belgian aroma and taste, with a totally palatable and not-insignificant complement of Stone IPA. Excellent combo, and a much more complete attempt than Green Flash's Le Freak, which tasted more Belgian than a mix of styles, and was more expensive to boot. Seriously, hats off to Stone on this.

Dug it. Thanks, Greg & Co., I will be buying again. It may not be up my particular alley, but I recognize the artistry in the mixing of styles.

4.23/5  rDev +5.8%

on tap at Hollingshead's Deli in Orange, CA.

A- pours an orangish gold with a really rocky, dense white head. Look very inviting just from the start.

S- Definitely the Belgian yeast earthy smell. It's quite hoppy along with that. Similar to a Houblon Chouffe in terms of the earthiness combined with hops.

T- Really unique in this regard... you get a lot of orange citrus flavor right away, then fading to a huge amount of the Belgian yeast earthiness after that. It's quite complex as there's other stuff there I want to be able to describe but I just can't. Really good. The citrusy hops is where Stone puts its "Cali" in it.

M/D- The beer is on the lighter side overall, which is nice. Nothing too overwhelming in texture even at almost 7%. Still, this isn't my favorite type of beer, as the Belgian yeast character takes some getting use to along with a huge hop presence. Quite good still. Something different when us West Coasters want to go for something a bit different.

4/5  rDev 0%

Huge fan of Stone. How could I not try anything new? Bomber to glass...

Glowing light copper haze. Billowing white head of mushmellow. Great lacing.

I don't want to be an asshole, but this smells like a cross between an IPA and a tripel. You can certainly smell the hops. Mmmm. And you can smell the light fruity tripel odor. It's unique for sure. I hope it tastes more like the IPA.

I applaud the effort, but I don't know how many of these I'll keep in stock. It's almost like the hops and fruit flavors cancel each other out, leaving a subtle flavor. Or sometimes you catch one or the other side of the beer. It's not bad, but not exactly good. Again, I say unique. Whoa, at least it produces the old familiar yummy Stone hop belch. I dunno man; every drink has a different taste. I like it, I don't like it... I guess that's all part of the experience.

Overall: just try it

4.24/5  rDev +6%

A: Light amber beer with a white, disappearing head. No lacing.

S: Sweet, caramel malt; fruit, faintly spicy hop.

T: Very faint malt; citrus bitterness; very clean. Bitter finish lasts and lasts.

MF: Smooth, almost chewy, yet clean and crisp. Moderate carbonation.

D: Very good beer; I'll have this one again.

3.35/5  rDev -16.3%

Had on tap at Daily Pint
Poured a very bright orange color with a white head. Smells like citrus and yeast. The taste is a bit more balanced, but still very yeasty with a citrus kick. I thought it was a little tart at the end. Drinkability is low. Just strange but good.

4.19/5  rDev +4.8%

I didnt really pay attention to much except it smells like fruity goodness and tasted like a classic stone IPA, but with a belgian kick.

This beer was really good and I was lucky to get it on tap. I thought stone was slipping as of late, but this gives me hope that every once in a while a brewery just goofs. Very good beer.

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%

Rather lighter/thinner in color and mouthfeel than Ruination. Maybe closer in those respects to the regular Stone IPA? A light, airy head mostly dissipates fairly quickly leaving a thin layer of bubbles on top. Smell is mostly piney hops with the yeasty, Belgian aroma faintly in the background (and becoming more prominent as the beer warms). I really like the mouthfeel--it is light and fluffy, almost like a cask-conditioned beer. It's a nice change of pace for me as I often drink heavier, thicker, more syrupy beers.

I think the taste is very interesting. I had half my bomber with Indian food for lunch and the pairing was terrific, where by "terrific" I mean terrific. A bit later I had a post-lunch solo celebration in honor of having had a good beer with lunch--menu for the party: the rest of the good beer.

When drinking the beer all by itself, I noticed the Belgian tones more--similar to a light-bodied tripel or even a Hefeweizen in some of the aftertaste. Except that there is also all that hoppiness happiness going on.

Well done, Stone, well done again.

(The French at the end of the blurb on the back is grammatically incorrect.)

3.97/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours golden brown with a nice bubbly white 2 finger head.

Smells of earthy & fruity hops, Belgian yeast, and some spicy notes.

Crisp big hop bite, pineapple, citrus, earth, grass, spicy, clove, and bubblegum Bealgian yeast. Nice dry hoppy finisg. Interesting.

Medium bodied, crisp, dry, lingering finish.

A unique & interesting brew. Glad I had the opportunity to try.

4.38/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very impressed with this brew on at SD Toronado. Like it's labeled, very CA and Belg. Big dose of pine resin / sap. Hops are nice and the mid doens't go so belgium aged hop sweet but still has a hint of it and the great texture. Would this possibly age?? Complex nose and maybe the carbination was a bit high? Nice complexity and mission accomplished as it felt 50/50 CA and Belg.

2.56/5  rDev -36%

22 ounce bottle from La Bodega in Riverside, CA., September 2008 for $5.99 (?).

Pours a pretty clear golden (on the dark shade) with a gorgeous thick rich head with lots of stickage. This is by far the best part of this beer.

Unfortunately, I have to disagree with the other reviewers on the rest of this beer, because I was sorely tempted to toss it after the first few sips. But I stuck it out to see how it developed as it warmed, and it didn't do much for me.

Aroma of Belgian yeast, bubblegum, and a stale hops/organic (weedy) tone. Tobacco?

Flavor was harsh unfriendly hops, an odd rotten orange fruitiness, an underlying sweetness, coupled with a chewy mouthfeel I just did not enjoy.

Sorry- I appreciate experimentation, and give them credit for that, but as a beer to drink and enjoy, I just couldn't do it. In the end, I did toss about 1/3 of the bottle. Such a waste...

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%

Purchased at Vendome Fullerton.

A- Poured into an Allagash tulip glass, this beer pours a clear gold color with a thick two-finger head that settles to a thin layer over the beer. Each sip leaves some web-like rings of lacing.

S- Spicy and hoppy. The aroma has the crisp hop character of Stone's regular IPA but with equally intense notes of spicy Belgian yeast.

T- The initial bite from the hops is quickly overtaken by a flavor of spicy yeast. Some bready malts emerge towards the dry finish, which leaves only a mild bitterness on the palate.

M- The mouthfeel is medium-bodied with lively carbonation.

D- This is a tasty beer that's very easy to drink. The 6.9% isn't even a factor in this category.

4.47/5  rDev +11.8%

Pours into my 25cl tulip glass with a frothy, pale, just barely off-white, initially three finger thick head. The beer is absolutely, brilliantly clear and is a red-tinged, deep copper color that shows a bright copper hue when held up to the light. The aroma is clearly a mix of hops and yeast character; as I pour this brew aromas of spicy clove and fruity hops intermingle. Interesting, yeast derived fruity esters mix with the hops and it can be hard to figure out where one starts and the other ends. Aromas reminiscent of lychee, tropical fruit, peach, tart grapes are each noticeable but seem to fade pretty quickly once my nose gets used to them. The finish has a dusting of biscuit like malt, some crushed cracker aromatics and a lingering, sweet-tart tropical fruit note.

This is served lightly chilled (approximately 58°F / 14.5°C). There is a nice, biting bitterness that becomes more the dominant note as this moves to the lingering finish. Tropical fruit flavors play a big role in the flavor with a mix of lychee, kumquat, pineapple, peach and mango flavors. Yeast derived spiciness that really leans towards clove pairs with the hop bitterness in the finish and really tends to linger on the palate after each sip. A soft, toasty, biscuit-like malt character contributes to the finish as well and serves as a very light foil to the much more dominant hop character. This is nice and light bodied, which is perfect for a dangerously quaffable IPA; there is just enough malt to accentuate the fruit character with a light sweetness and to contribute a touch of body that keeps this from being anywhere near water.

The yeast character really seems to accentuate the fruitiness that is in the hop character. The standard IPA never had such a vibrant fruitiness to it. This in its freshness reminds me a lot of the IPA from stone that I had years ago. I just can't seem to find a fresh bottle of it that lives up to my early memories of drinking this on tap, this particular beer does have that fresh hoppiness that I miss in the Stone IPA though. This is quite enjoyable and sadly makes me think I need to down grade my rating for Stone IPA as I just can't seem to get that juicy, vibrant hop character in it anymore. I am clearly a sucker for this beer; this really hits the spot and I like how the secondary, but clearly noticeable, Belgian Yeast character interacts with the hop component here.

Purchase: 22oz Bottle from South Bay Drugs, Imperial Beach CA

3.34/5  rDev -16.5%

22 oz. bomber,

A: Pours yellow with a medium, somewhat fizzy white head, fair retention, doesn't have good lacing like I would expect in a Belgian or an IPA.

S: Dominated by citrus, get a lot of tangerine, citrus, pineapple, and an earthy Belgian yeast kick, light pepper.

T: Has a strong grapefruit orange character that the regular Stone IPA has. Belgian character is there with bitter spice, pepper, and definite bubblegum esters at the end.

M: Medium body with a mild prickly carbonation on the tongue. Too astringent at times.

D: An interesting beer, but in the end I wasn't a huge fan of it, I didn't think the flavours blended well enough together and the hop character got unappetizingly bitter after a while. A nice experiment, I could see myself trying it again, but wont be a go to beer from Stone.

3.7/5  rDev -7.5%

Consumed 09/07/08.

Pours a very clear light golden color with a less-than-one-finger off-white head. Plenty of active carbonation in this one and sticky lacing.

Aroma is sweet (powdered sugar, bubblegum) and a little hoppy (light citrus and flower notes).

Interesting melange of flavors; this tastes like the standard Stone pale ale in its malt profile (caramel) and hop notes (a little grassy and with a light lemon zest) but with peppery overtones and an unexpected surge of bitterness at the end. The finish just flat out doesn't taste very good; a bit medicinal and solvent-y.

Mouthfeel is typical for this beer's standard iteration, meaning a little thicker than water and with a small but noticeable prickliness on the tongue.

Interesting variation on the formula, but not a beer I would nominate for continued production.

3.8/5  rDev -5%

Yesterday I picked up a bomber of this for $5.99 at SouthBay Drugs. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Nice California sunset color with a inch of feathery white foam. Very good retention.

Oh yeah, Belgian yeast influence for sure. There are a bit of tropical fruits at first, orange, pineapple, grapefruit, peach, mango, nectarine, and apricot; but there is also an earthy and yeasty aroma from the yeast. Very estery with a similarity to a Belgian strong pale ale. There's also a bit of clove and perhaps ginger. Very interesting to see how just the yeast strain can change this brew, at least so far in the aroma. I'm also getting a bit of banana and bubblegum. Later on I get something like Belgian candy.

There's a good bitterness almost upfront but more towards the middle, and more earthy than citrus. I'm getting a bit of citrus rind in the finish and more yeast goodness. Some toasted malts show up at first but the earthiness almost overwhelms all the other possible flavors. Some tropical fruits try to make an appearance but don't hold up too well. I think I'm starting to perceive all the earthy flavors as "dirty" or "dirt"...just something that came to mind while drinking. Spicy finish too.

Decent mouthfeel, nothing too much to say about this really.

Stone Cali-Belgique from Stone Brewing Co.