Stone Cali-Belgique - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Cali-BelgiqueStone Cali-Belgique

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian IPA |  6.90% ABV

Beer added by: gpogo on 07-23-2008

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Cali-Belgique Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

3.9/5  rDev -2.3%

22oz Bomber - thanks to Phyl21ca for this one

Appearance – Hazy amber colour with a large size fizzy/frothy white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is some fair lacing. The head lasted for over 5 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Grains/wheat, hops, lemons, yeast, banana/bubble gum

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an average amount of carbonation and I can taste lots of hops mixed with lemons, yeast, and some caramel. There is also a lot of banana/bubble gum flavour and something else that I can't put my finger on.. It ends with a fruity and hoppy aftertaste.

Overall – There was this one odd taste to the beer but it was only subtle. While I've had other beers within this style that were better, this one was still above average and quite drinkable. Stone rarely disappoints.

4.12/5  rDev +3.3%

We pop the top and pour a sunny, golden-orange brew. It holds a thin and bubbly head of one finger which sits for the remainder of the tasting. There is thick haze with the last half of the bottle, but no real sediment or yeast. Carbonation appears low. The nose is thick with Belgian yeast, bright citric and leafy hops varietals, bittering orange peel, and spicy bitterness of clovey phenols and coriander. There is an independent orange fruit sweetness, and the faintest air of bubblegum esters. With warmth comes the acetone burn of booze. As we sip, the hops are the first thing to hit the palate. They are big with citrus and herbs, and balance nicely with the paler Belgian grain used. The yeast, too, comes in, and is steely and metallic. Orange rind offers bitterness, but it is the yeast that marks the transition into the middle of the flavoring, as it becomes more biting and metallic, and somewhat dirty feeling. The hops now develop into more grassy and earthen flavors. We finish with lemon bitterness and some stark spice of coriander. The phenols from the nose finally come in, only to be partially cut by fruity sweetness to the very end. The aftertaste breathes of strong bitter notes, of fruit rind, grapefruit hops, black and peppery booze, and hollow spice. The body is medium and the carbonation is medium. The beer cools and thinly coats, leaving the mouth with a finely astringent twinge. There is decent cream and slurp, and the mouth is ultimately cooled. The abv is appropriate and the beer drinks easily.

Overall, what we found to be the best thing about this brew was the straight flavoring, with echoes of the elements promised in the nose. There is a great blend of spice and yeast, effectively and beautifully mixing with the bittering hoppy components. We would have like to see a stronger, fuller head on top for the style, but otherwise this offering holds up nicely to its competitors.

2.5/5  rDev -37.3%

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

2.5/5  rDev -37.3%

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

2.24/5  rDev -43.9%

I have been on an IPA kick lately and I picked this up on one of my recent shopping sprees... I feel like I had it at some point in the past but couldn't remember for sure so I snagged one...

Appearance; pours a lovely crisp goldenrod color, head went kinda crazy for me on this one (I may have had a violent pour...) i got three fingers of nice white head, started off with super fine bubbles, with a few large ones interspersed, the head gave way to larger bubbles not unlike bubble bath... Lacing is ok, retention is poor, all that's left of the the three fingers of head is a thin film.

Smell; smell is just kind of off... It's got a slightly pungent aroma similar to other belgians I can remember with a hint of honey and some slight pine hop aromas in there...

Taste; unfortunately was not what I was expecting... Its kind of a mish mash of an IPA and a Belgian, as if a drunken bartender somewhere starting pouring an IPA for someone who ordered a Belgian and rather than dumping or setting aside the IPA, added the belgian to what was already in the glass... Belgian yeast flavor dominates this and I get the slightest pine and hop bitterness on the finish.

Mouthfeel; effervescent, much like Belgians I've had in the past, but aside from that fairly unremarkable, generally speaking I prefer thicker, full bodies beers, and this falls in the light body category in my opinion, which isn't bad, just not exactly what I was expecting...

Overall; I really feel like I'm trashing this beer unfortunately, however I am being honest with my impressions. I feel like Cali-Belgique does two things half as well as a beer that does one thing pretty well... Kind of brings the saying "jack of all trades, master of none" to my mind. Perhaps this is simply a style I am incapable of appreciating and I'll likely revisit this one at some point a couple more times at varying intervals to give it (and any changes my palate goes through) another shot.

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

Stone Cali-Belgique from Stone Brewing Co.