Stone Cali-Belgique - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Cali-BelgiqueStone Cali-Belgique

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian IPA |  6.90% ABV

(Beer added by: gpogo on 07-23-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Arbitrator

3.9/5  rDev -2.3%

Chilled bomber into a glass.

A: Pours a clear coppery amber color with very light carbonation. Has no head whatsoever, but pours with a slight film on top of the brew and a little collar around the glass. Leaves no lacing down the glass.

S: Fruity Belgian yeast, bubblegum, a little funk, and several spices: cloves, coriander, and pepper. Some citrus hop and caramel malt presence.

T: Follows the nose pretty well. A nice groundwork of bready and caramel malt, followed by a lightly tart blend of pineapple and grapefruit. The mid-palate is defined largely by funk and a spicy kick. Some bubblegum taste is noted in the transition to the finish, which is fairly dry. Aftertaste is all hop bitters.

M: Medium-bodied with low carbonation. Still provides a nice tingle, but I think it would benefit from more. I wonder if I got a flat bottle, given some of the other reviews. The ABV is well-masked, and there's a nice sticky finish that impresses very well.

D: This was more to satisfy my curiosity than anything else. I thought it was good, but not great, and I don't think I'd really seek it out again.

04-12-2009 10:39:36 | More by Arbitrator
jackorain

4.22/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from a bomber into my Stone Levitation Ale goblet. Very clear amber to light copper liquid topped with a very dense, white head. The head fell reasonably slowly and left very attractive lacing and a bubbly splotchy coat.

Aroma is initially Belgian yeasty and a bit of funk. Deeper breaths reveal quite of alcohol presence and citrus hops. Caramel malts bring up the finish.

Like with the nose, there is an initial hit of Belgian yeast. This is followed by significant levels of spiciness; cloves, pepper and even a touch of cinnamon is detectable. The net to come through is the citrus op presence. Lemon and grapefruit are here in spades. The middle brings on the malts of caramel and biscuit. The finish has the hops return with a pretty moderate to high level of bitterness and lemony pucker that lingers quite a long time.

This beer has a light body with a vibrant refreshing carbonation.

Very, very drinkable chuggable in fact. This is very good high quality beer.

04-10-2009 21:45:34 | More by jackorain
jkendrick

Colorado

3.58/5  rDev -10.3%

A: Slightly cloudy amber color with a nice head and decent retention and lacing.

S: Very interesting yeasty in that typical Belgian way, but with slight citrus hoppiness in there too. Makes sense I guess. ;)

MF: Medium body with that prickly gassy belgian quality,

T: There is some bready malt, but that is quickly dominated by the yeasty-ness. I found some hoppiness in there of course, but the yeast was too much.

Overall: I split this with a friend and I'm glad I did. I don't think I would've finished the whole bomber. It certainly is interesting, but I'm generally not a huge fan of the Duvel style Belgians and this was too much of that for me. I'm trying to be fair in my grade as this was something I wanted to try, but the style is not for me.

04-08-2009 00:23:25 | More by jkendrick
ffejherb

3.75/5  rDev -6%

22oz. bomber into Imperial pint glass on 4/7/09.

A - Poured a brilliant, crystal clear golden/light amber body with a lively effervescence and almost two fingers of dense, off-white foam that settled to a half inch cap and deposited lots of thick lacing on the glass.

S - Quite a vibrant hop bouquet suggesting citrus and floral notes, as well as hints of perfume. Equally representative is the "Belgian" aspect of this brew with spicy, yeasty notes and some fruity esters. Malt is quite sweet and caramely. Some alcohol peeks through as the liquid warmed up.

T - Hop profile melds together with the spicy, yeasty character to create a subtle bitterness and funky sour flavor. Hints of citrus rind, wildflowers and mint mingle with fruity notes. Finish is mildly bitter, but with an odd herbal, minty character that threw me off a bit. A slight funky, yeasty tang persists throughout and lasts through to the finish.

M - Light to medium bodied with a smooth texture and soft carbonation, but a pretty thin mouthfeel overall. Finish is mildly bitter with a touch of sourness on the palate.

D - This is definitely an interesting brew from Stone. I wish it was a bit heavier on the IPA, but it still drank easily and displayed some nice complexities.

04-08-2009 00:21:26 | More by ffejherb
jwc215

Wisconsin

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

22 oz. bottle, poured into a tulip glass:

Pours golden with a thin white bubbly head.

The smell is interesting - tart-ish funkyish Belgian yeast with a citric hoppiness. The yeast strain seems to dominate the hops at times. I found that they don't necessarily clash - but almost.

The taste follows the nose to a tee - tartish, bready yeast with a firm, but not strong, citric American hop bitterness with some maltiness. Finishes bready and dry.

Doesn't quite have the Belgian body, more of a medium IPA-ish one, which is fine, but nothing particular special about the body, to me.

As much as I love American hops, I think this is decent, and a great idea, but it just wasn't what I was hoping it would be. There have been Belgian IPA's I preferred over this, and another American brewery's attempt that I prefer as well. Nice enough, but didn't come together quite the way I was hoping. Still, worthwhile to try, as it is interesting and creative.

According to the label, about half say Cali-Belgie (Flemish) and the other half (the one I have) is as it is listed here (French). Cool that they thought of both Belgian cultures.

04-06-2009 01:42:38 | More by jwc215
UA8

Washington

3.53/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours a transparent golden straw color with a one finger foamy white head.

S- Scents of orange/ ruby red grapefruit and bubblegum.

T- Leads with toffee malts, mid palate is of citrus hops and baseball card bubblegum, finishes with a medicinal herbal hop.

M- Over carbonated and thin.

D- Not my favorite of the Stone offering the flavors are all over the place. I really don't think that this strain of yeast works all that well with the aggressiveness of the Stone IPA.

04-05-2009 01:26:03 | More by UA8
BoitSansSoif

France

A-Amber gold w/slightly off-white head. Nice retention.

S-Spice, clove, banana, apricot, orange, earth tones, faint citrus.

T-Spice, clove, banana, pale malt, citrus-orange/tangerine, spice, apricot, with a spicy finish.

M-Light-to-medium bodied w/moderate carbonation and nice balance.

D-First time I've had this one, and I am a fan.

04-04-2009 03:02:03 | More by BoitSansSoif
orbitalr0x

3.73/5  rDev -6.5%

Pours a slightly hazy orange yellow color with a half inch of creamy off white head on top. Aromas hit first thing with citric hops that begin to conjoin with spicy, fruity, slightly funky Belgian yeast tones. Hints of caramel malt in the background along with herbal, resinous accents. Earthy.

First sip brings some slightly sweet caramel malts upfront that quickly move into a collusion of citric, resinous hops and earthy Belgian yeast flavors. Fruity, spicy and funky flavors all play a part as the beer flows down with a bit of a dryness. Bitterness from the hops kicks in full well on the back end also. Finishes with a lingering spicy, estery bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and a little more carbonated than the standard Stone IPA. Overall it goes down smooth and easily. I'm still not sold on the Belgian IPA myself and it seems to clash a bit to my taste buds. This was nice but I'd rather have the regular IPA or Ruination.

04-02-2009 04:38:27 | More by orbitalr0x
laituegonflable

Australia

3.8/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours the colour of unhealthy urine, kind of orangey-yellow. Good healthy bead feeding a modest but good snowy head that's still there. Thin but sticky and delicious lacing. That's a quite fucked-upingly good looker. I could fuck this beer.

Tropical, pale ale-y kind of nose. Lot of American hops - probably Cascade, but not sure. Smells very refreshing, with those hops mixing with a citrusy pineapple kind of smell. It's wonderfully tangy and light.

Taste is quite bitter throughout, but especially on the back palate and finish. First flavour is again kind of tangy with quite a refreshing bent, and descends quickly (maybe a bit too quickly) into that very hoppy finish with a slight lemon squash flavour to go along with it. Mouthfeel is light and frothy, like toothpaste. But yeah, really pleasant and drinkable, main palate is a bit short but otherwise very nice.

04-01-2009 23:23:21 | More by laituegonflable
FtownThrowDown

4.1/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a dark gold in color with a nice two inches of head. Smell is some hops, not much. There's some belgian yeast and a good amount of a peppery spice in the nose as well.
I like that this isn't a hop dominant beer. Really lets the other belgian characteristics of the beer come forward. It's quite enjoyable. I can't seem to figure out what is giving me that peppery spice flavor that I'm getting in the flavor. It's there and shocking, but I'm finding myself liking it.
I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. Well done and I wouldn't mind picking up a few more bottles.

03-31-2009 14:26:47 | More by FtownThrowDown
rye726

Colorado

3.68/5  rDev -7.8%

I'm usually a huge fan of this style, but was not super impressed by this offering which I find strange since Stone makes such good IPA's. Not a bad beer, just nothing special. Pours and orangish brown with a tan head. The nose has Belgian yeasts and fruity hops over candy malts. Taste is light on the Belgian spice and on the bitter hops. Medium to full body is well carbonated.

03-30-2009 17:49:38 | More by rye726
wescj

Tennessee

3.88/5  rDev -2.8%

22oz bottle poured into a tulip.

Color is somewhere between pale amber and gold. Moderate white head, but really good lace.

Very floral and piney in the nose. Fruity and hoppy, but there's something, maybe about the yeast, which is a bit odd.

Taste is almost all hops and yeast. The yeast, agian, adds an odd characteristic. This may be a typical aspect for belgian yeasts, but it just isn't meshing with the rest of the beer. Hops are very citrusy, nice and flowery.

Moutfeel is alright. Drinkable enough, but I might want something else over the course of an evening.

03-30-2009 02:00:45 | More by wescj
caddybuyer

4.2/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured into an oversize wineglass from a 22 oz bomber.

A-Beautiful Medium copper orange filtered brew with a moderate amount of white head that laces nicely as would be expected from Stone.

S-I'm smelling mostly Stone IPA here...not much else...(not that this is a bad thing!)

T-Very interesting....they seem to have pulled this one off. The trademark Stone IPA flavors are mellowed well by the Belgian undertones. I wasn't quite sure how this could be carried out, but it works well, A very well balanced and drinkable beer. Kudos. More than that. This is an excellent balanced beer that has me anticipating the next sip.

M-Well balanced overall. Hey...these guys are pros... Nothing to report here other than well done.

D-Surprisingly well done....why? I didn't think that such dissimilar styles could be combined to such a good effect. The sum is definately worth more than the parts. Tomorrow, I head out to but more to stockpile before the stores run out. Nuff said.

03-29-2009 02:11:39 | More by caddybuyer
mithrascruor

22 oz. bottle poured into a chalice.

Appearance: Pours a copper-orange color, quite clear. Light white head with lots of big bubbles, becoming a film. Little lacing.

Smell: Light spicy/citrus flavor with a bit of yeast.

Taste: Has a spicy hop flavor (grapefruit, etc.) offset against some yeasty strains in the flavor. Bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with minimal carbonation; generally smooth.

Drinkability: Alcohol is a bit present in the aftertaste after a while. Nice to drink, but not for more than a couple, probably.

I've had this on tap a few times, but this is the first time in the bottle. I found it to be much better on tap; in the bottle is it just a decent Belgian-style IPA. Definitely worth trying, but I recommend it on tap.

03-27-2009 04:06:21 | More by mithrascruor
BeachRez

4.53/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Drinking from a bomber purchased mid-08.

The color is a very nice orange. Nice head, no lacing on the glass. Perfect presentation.

The smell has a mild citrus aroma, which is also present in it's taste. It does have a hoppy aftertaste that real adds depth.

Very good and something that I would drink often.

03-27-2009 02:37:30 | More by BeachRez
nickfl

3.9/5  rDev -2.3%

A - Deep, golden colored body with good clarity and one and a half fingers of white head. The head settles quickly to a loose layer of big bubbles and leaves a nice, thick ring of lace.

S - A nice, big spicy/ citrus hop aroma up front, backed by clove and tropical fruit aromas from the yeast. Some subtle sweet malt lurks in the background along with anise, clove and a hint of allspice.

T - Moderate, spicy hop flavor and big, mouth coating bitterness in the front. Subtle yeast flavor appears in the middle, light pineapple and clove, but fades quickly. Some bready malt in the finish along with renewed bitterness than dominates and lingers on the palate.

M - Moderate-light body, medium carbonation, and a dry finish.

D - Interesting and drinkable. The aroma is excellent, but the flavor doesn't live up to it. There is a lack of Belgian character in the flavor even though the nose exhibits lots of yeasty goodness. In the end it comes off as mostly IPA and just a little bit Belgian.

03-27-2009 01:20:15 | More by nickfl
RuinationMan

4.2/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber into a snifter.

A: Pours clear copper with a small head that recedes quickly.

S: Hoppy citrus with some belgian sweet & spice.

T: Belgian Yeast + American Hops are a little strange to me. Not bad, just not my preference. Spicy & sweet front with a pale, bitter finish.

M: Solid, medium body & carbination.

D: 6.9% ABV is well masked. A few of these in the summer heat would sneak up on me.

03-26-2009 23:55:22 | More by RuinationMan
bheilman

Indiana

4.2/5  rDev +5.3%

I have to admit, I'm a sucker for a good stone. I like the hops and I love belgian beer. This is a really good beer. I can't comment too much on the appearance, it was dark in the room I was drinking this. It was light in color and had a nice head. Great smell, a combination of the malty sweetness of a tripel overlayed with a good hop freshness. The taste mimicked this scent but with a little stronger hops flavor bordering on citrus. I drank this with some moderately spicy thai food and it complimented the panang curry squid nicely. I could drink a lot of this. If you like stone, belgian or anything with hops, give this one a try.

03-26-2009 00:12:45 | More by bheilman
BeerBobWFM

4.83/5  rDev +21.1%

I had been waiting to try this one since I saw that they were making it. To me it was the best of both worlds...belgian style yeast and a california IPA. It did not disapoint one bit.
It poured a very nice Dark amber color, the aromas were very much like the name suggests very true to a belgian spciy and citrusy,floral with hints of honey, then you get the aroma of the hops which added to the citrus gave it an almost blood orange scent. Taste was just outstanding typical belgian triple flavors spicy and slightly yeasty but with a nice blast of hops which gave it a nice grapefruit/ citrus like finish.In my opinion the best beer I have had in a long time... This is a perfect food beer. I had it with sauteed red snapper with a lemon butter sauce and it went perfect!! I can't wait to get some more!!

03-15-2009 16:53:22 | More by BeerBobWFM
willjschmidt

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a New Belgium globe glass.

A: Pours a golden copper color.

S: American citrusy hops with spicy Belgian yeast.

T: Tropical fruity hops mix with the spicy Belgian yeast. A bit of spice from the yeast as well. Drinks like a Belgian tripel with American IPS hops. Slightly sweet as well with some bubblegum flavors.

M: Average carbonation, medium bodied.

D: A very good experiment by Stone. I really enjoyed this one.

03-15-2009 03:42:48 | More by willjschmidt
whoneeds8

4.33/5  rDev +8.5%

Pours out hazy orange into tulip glass. Small white head that disolves quickly. Great lacing all the way down. The smell is very Belgium-like. Almost smells like a good wit. Lots of spiced scents. The taste was much the same. The hoppy bit of an IPA with the orange spice of a belgium wit. This made for a absolutly great compliment to the Grilled Tuna I had with this beer. The carbonation was just right for a great mouthfeel and overall a very drinkable beer.

03-13-2009 23:57:56 | More by whoneeds8
hsway

4.33/5  rDev +8.5%

I poured this from a 22 ounce bottle into a pint glass in two sessions (over the course of one night, obviously). I put the open bottle back in the fridge between sessions.

a: Didn't generate much head despite a relatively strong pour - body is a medium golden color - glows nicely when you hold your glass up to a light.

s: Floral and hoppy.

t: I think this beer balances the Cali-style hopiness with the yeastiness of a Belgian quite nicely - rather than fighting each other, they complimented quite nicely.

m: Smooth but not especially memorable.

d: I thought this was quite easy going down, despite combining two rather intensely-flavored beer profiles.

03-12-2009 17:52:15 | More by hsway
51mmz0rz

4.03/5  rDev +1%

A: Head is a little weak on this pour; body is a perfectly clear medium gold hue.

S: First of flowery yeast aromatics, some malt sweetness. Close in are the hops, also quite flowery, a little citrus.

T: Nice hoppy flavors, I find the yeast is being overpowered a bit, but it still tastes good. Strong bitterness on the finish but with a balanced sweetness.

M: Lower carbonation than I expected but I like it that way. Mouthfeel is good, sweetness cleaned by assertive bitterness at the end.

D: Good, powerful flavors.

My first bIPA, and a good beer for sure. Would like to see more yeasty balance, but coming from Stone its no surprise the hops are the focus.

03-12-2009 01:27:46 | More by 51mmz0rz
aerozeppl

A: A fairly clear golden/copper color that poured with a finger of white head into my Sam Adams super turbolator. Nice lacing.

S: Nice blast of citrus hops. Lots of grapefruit. The yeast really does impart quite a bit on the nose. Almost smells like a wit yeast.

T: It is a stone beer and the hops are right up front. The finish is weird. It almost has a minty taste to it. Totally from the yeast. I wouldn't say it is bad just different. None of the sweetness you associate with a Belgian IPA.

M: Nice light body with plenty of carbonation.

D: All in all not too bad. Not quite to style but that is fine with me. I find the Americans really miss this style sometimes. Worth trying though.

03-11-2009 21:51:23 | More by aerozeppl
jsapunor

4.05/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours a nice golden color with a 2" white head and good lacing. It definitely smells like a Belgian, floral and hoppy. Wow! Tastes like hops and more hops fading to a pleasant grapefruit tang. This is a nice beer for a warm day. Very refreshing.

03-11-2009 16:56:44 | More by jsapunor
Stone Cali-Belgique from Stone Brewing Co.