2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stone Cali-Belgique - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Cali-BelgiqueStone Cali-Belgique

rAvg: 4
pDev: 12%

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian IPA |  6.90% ABV

(Beer added by: gpogo on 07-23-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2,245 | Reviews: 943 | Show All Ratings:
LuckyBrewer

Colorado

Beer: Cali-Belgique
Style: IPA
Brewery: Stone Brewing Co.
Location: Escondido, CA
Website: http://www.stonebrew.com/
Serving Type: 1 Pt. 6 Fl.Oz.
ABV: 6.9 ABV
IBU: 77
Pour: Smooth pour with a nice head and even thick legs.

Smell: This beer smells hoppy, floral and even malty smell.

Taste: The Stone Brewery Co. is my favorite brewery hands down. Stone Brewery have yet to disappoint me, this beer was another impressive beer. The beer is so well balanced, but it is still a strong complex IPA.

Drinkability: As I mentioned earlier this beer is well balanced and therefore I could drink about two bombers of this fine brew. Many of the IPA's that I have tried are not well balanced and therefore lose their enjoyment about one glass in.

05-03-2010 01:20:02 | More by LuckyBrewer
BeerTwigs

One of my favorite beers of all time. I first had this beer about two years ago and I am just now finally reviewing it. Belgian IPA's are one of the newest, yet best styles of beer around today. Cali Belgique does not only set the standard for this style it almost makes it impossible to replicate. From a bottle it pours a nice and golden with a two inch white head. This beer not only satisfies the quench of belgian beer fans but hop heads as well. The aroma is complete with a belgian/pine combination. I started out as a novice beer drinker, soley focused on Belgian styles but once my pallet for IPA's devopled this beer was able to my beer needs from all angles. Drink this beer and appreciate all it represents. Dare to try another Belgian IPA once other Brewers attempt such a style. Cheers.

06-18-2010 23:53:17 | More by BeerTwigs
qdbfc

22 oz bottle bought for $5 poured into a Imperial pint glass.

A:
Poured a thick head, clean white-beige in color, with above average retention, gradually declining to a thin cap atop the body. The alpine lacing was exceptional with strong spider webs on the sides of the glass. The body was fairly transparent, slightly hazy golden orange color, with the carbonation migration visible on the glass.

S:
Aroma is densely fruity, with mango, grapefruit rind, and cardamon-coriander like spices being readily apparent, resting on an appropriate Belgianish yeast (slightly Brettanomyces-like mustiness) and a some what earthy pepper-clove blend. ,

T:
The overall flavor is a very tropical mix, very complex with some pineapple and mango characteristics being the most obvious attributes. Front of palate picks up the malt sweetness joined to earthy grapefruit rind. Mid-palate balances Belgian yeast, slight bit of Brettanomyces, mild hop bitterness, and very subtle malt sweetness quite well. Back of palate is pleasantly bitter, quite dry and not slick. Also as subtle as the malt, are the complex spice notes of coriander, cardamon, ginger and cloves.

O:

The Cali-Belgique IPA is an Americanized Belgian-style ale that I wouldn't necessarily recognize as a Stone beer. The hops are very toned down by their standards, but definitely contributes to many levels of complexity.

D:

As a disclaimer, the level of subtle-ness should calibrated with the fact I enjoyed a Oaked
Arrogant Bastard along with Stones 16th anniversary IPA before tasting this great beverage.

10-06-2012 16:48:23 | More by qdbfc
theklep

4.9/5  rDev +22.5%

Picked this one up from the factory. Split this one with a buddy and I found it to be more pleasant than I was expecting. The mouth feel is smoother than you would expect from stones IPA tag. I like this as much as the Vertical Epic Ale which is a tough comparison for some. Overall this a heck of a beer. A must try for any Stone fan.

04-22-2009 22:28:32 | More by theklep
MusicmanSD

4.9/5  rDev +22.5%

Didn't know what to expect from a Belgian IPA with California balls, but I gotta say, this beer kicks ass. It's like drinking a spicy pilsner, but in the style of an IPA. It looked great on tap at Stone, smelt slightly clovey-belgian-y and tasted awesome. Really quite balanced, and actually, when compared to the house IPA at stone, very clean. In fact, the sag you get out of a worn out California yeast compared to this is strikingly noticeable. I'd recommend this to anyone as an interesting beer to try out. Really drinkable too!

07-03-2009 08:32:45 | More by MusicmanSD
rustymoore

Tennessee

4.88/5  rDev +22%

A: Pours a golden hue with nice head with minimal lacing throughout...very visually appealing.

S: Smell is amazing with strong citrus and spice notes not to mention the strong hop notes as well.

T: One of the better beers I have sampled as of late. Taste is very citrusy with strong spices throughout every sip. The hop combination with this is something that I haven't experienced before but it one of the best tasting offering you will experience this year in the world of beer.

M: Very mild and easy to swish around and get all the flavors.

D: I could drink this all night. It makes me wish I had bought more at the Greenlife in Asheville. Big ups to Asheville!

04-06-2010 02:24:55 | More by rustymoore
DeltaGolfSierra

Tennessee

4.85/5  rDev +21.3%

Color is orange-gold; the pearl white head is huge with plenty of lacing on the glass. Citrus scents are wonderful, but a bit weak. The taste is an exquisite blend of citrus - tart grapefruit and apple, lemon and orange. There is also a slight clove and banana flavor that is a bit reminiscent of a hefeweizen - this is what makes it different from the standard Stone IPA. Both are absolutely delicious, and among my all-time favorites.

07-15-2012 03:08:23 | More by DeltaGolfSierra
BeerBobWFM

4.83/5  rDev +20.8%

I had been waiting to try this one since I saw that they were making it. To me it was the best of both worlds...belgian style yeast and a california IPA. It did not disapoint one bit.
It poured a very nice Dark amber color, the aromas were very much like the name suggests very true to a belgian spciy and citrusy,floral with hints of honey, then you get the aroma of the hops which added to the citrus gave it an almost blood orange scent. Taste was just outstanding typical belgian triple flavors spicy and slightly yeasty but with a nice blast of hops which gave it a nice grapefruit/ citrus like finish.In my opinion the best beer I have had in a long time... This is a perfect food beer. I had it with sauteed red snapper with a lemon butter sauce and it went perfect!! I can't wait to get some more!!

03-15-2009 16:53:22 | More by BeerBobWFM
BlueBloodBrew

4.83/5  rDev +20.8%

A 22 oz bomber served in an oversized wine glass. This is a very nice and well balanced beer with good amber coloring and an aroma that pleases the senses upon opening.

A - A medium amber coloring that poors clear producing a good two finger white head. The head dissapates quickly but laces very well.

S - On the nose is an immediate strong citrusy scent with a background of granular hints, and balanced by a sweet aroma of honey layered over citrus fruits, perhaps sweet grapefruit, oranges, or maybe even cumquat. There is a hint of biscuity aromas.

T - The first tasting was a wonderful flavor of citrus, sweet candy followed by a subdued explosion of hops. The hops are apparent upon entry into the throat but do not overwhelm the senses in the early stages of entering the mouth. However, once the beer moves over the tongue the hops kick this puppy in the pants and deliver that all to unforgettable hoppy experience. This is a well balanced beer in the American IPA tradition, but you can certainly taste the almost hidden nature of the hops brought on by the use of the belgian yeast.

M - The beer feels like a soft silk blanket as it moves across the teeth onto the tongue. The medium body gives you something to bite into but is masked by the smoothness of this high quality ale.

D - This beer is dangerous. I could drink it all day long. I will certainly have many, many, more.

10-09-2009 06:51:26 | More by BlueBloodBrew
obywan59

4.83/5  rDev +20.8%

Pours crystal clear. Golden in color against the white of my beer review page, more coppery against my white walls. Held up to the light, it looks like a sunrise through the glass.

The initial amell from popping the top is quite bready. From the glass, I get some light bread or over-ripe citrus, some light Belgian yeast (pleasant, not really funky), and soms wonderfuly fresh, spicy aromas, (mainly clove) as well as some light herbal aromas. Very fruity and grassy at the same time.

Taste of sweet malt and spice again, but this time there are strong herbal notes which fuse with the sweet malts and bitter hops to create a superb taste sensation. Peppery.

Medium bodied, but substantial enough to hold the incredible flavor for the duration. Some warming alcohol in the throat and a bite of carbonation.

This is an awesome beer! It has great balance and incredibly well-rounded aroma and flavor. I can't believe I've gone so long without trying this again.

06-04-2011 06:20:01 | More by obywan59
natedog820

4.83/5  rDev +20.8%

A: Pours a hazy, cloudy, goldenrod. Small off-white head fades quickly.

S: Strong, thick, esters and wheat hit my nose before I could even get close to the glass, wow... When I came in to smell it I got the hops: pineapple, a little bit of pine, and a little booze, just a little.

T: Wow... acidic, tons of pineapple, but balanced by a nice estery, yeasty-ness. No booze in the taste, it's all balanced out. It finishes with a nice chewy malt that is really pleasant.

M: Medium carbonation. Thick and resinous. The acidity really leaves you salivating.

O: An excellent brew, complex and interesting, but very well balanced, especially for a Stone brew.

08-03-2011 00:56:31 | More by natedog820
rstone57

4.83/5  rDev +20.8%

Pours golden and cloudy with a finger's thick head.

Smell is citrus, reduced sugar, hops.

Taste is grapefruit, pineapple, and hops with medium body, medium carbonation and minimal lacing.

Overall this is a great and very well balanced crossover IPA with Belgian Yeast from the folks at Stone.

11-13-2011 05:00:53 | More by rstone57
Shibbykaiyai

4.83/5  rDev +20.8%

I just wish I would have bought more than one and I hope when I got back tomorrow that they still have a couple in stock.

This is a bloody good brew. From the smell to the taste to the aftertaste, great all the way through.

I am not all that strong in my Belgian beers, but from what I have been told, most of the aspects of this brew make this a great Belgian.

To be honest, there is not a lot I can say about this brew that you cannot get from your first taste. I am not a fan of a perfect brew, but this is bloody good...

Highly recommend this brew. And, best of all, it's not all that pricey for a bomber (5.99 where I live).

01-25-2012 05:27:36 | More by Shibbykaiyai
Pahn

4.75/5  rDev +18.8%

22oz bottle into a Duvel tulip. No freshness date, but the store just got the bottle in 2 days ago. First had this beer about a year ago and remembered it as being a great IPA/Belgian hybrid. Let's see how it stands up after trying several more iterations of the style.

Appearance: Careful pour yields an inch and a half fluffy white head that dissipates slowly. Both the head and the beer itself leave thick, webbed streaks of lacing everywhere. Pours a translucent orange.

Smell: From the bottle I get grapefruit and Belgian yeast--a good start. In the glass: mildly dank grapefruit and tropical fruit hops, mixed beautifully with sweet, musty Belgian yeast. This is exactly what I would think a "Belgian IPA" would smell like. Strong, interesting, individuated, delicious hoppy smells, and equally distinct, relatively deep smells of Belgian yeast, spice, and mild funk. There's also some pine and a slight herbal/medicinal smell.

As the beer warms and I get deeper into the bottle, all the aforementioned notes stick around and stay strong. Excellent.

Taste: First sip: maltier than expected, with a big breadiness up front and a strong citrus hop finish with lots of bitterness (advertised 77 IBU sounds about right). In the next sip, some mustiness and clove come out, along with a deeper hop profile. Delicious. A slight soapiness comes out, along with a restrained, sweet Belgian yeast influence. Just as the citrus and Belgian yeast/funk notes seem to be getting carried away, there's the classic Stone IPA malt backbone to reel it all in!

Really, I don't think this could be better, besides drinking it immediately upon it being ready for consumption. Stone IPA is a classic, excellent IPA, and Cali-Belgique takes it and combines it with Belgian pale ale characteristics in a beautiful, balanced fashion. Rating to style, this has to be a 5.

Mouthfeel: Juicy and medium bodied, with medium carbonation. Not world class (D)IPA feel, but very good.

Drinkability: The 6.9% ABV is barely noticeable, and the taste (and aroma) stays balanced and beautiful for the entire life of the bottle. I want to drink this beer all summer, and often.

Houblon Chouffe on tap redeemed the concept of the Belgian IPA for me, which had dropped off over the past year. Raging Bitch was, ultimately, a sweet mess, local brewpubs followed suit, and the other random attempts I'd tried (save the wholly different Wild Devil, which is awesome, but simply an IPA with brett in it) fell flat. Cali-Belgique is the beer that originally got me excited about the style, and finally returning to it again (and fresh!), I can see why. It's a better IPA than our recent east coast darling, Larry, and the Belgian influence just makes it deeper and tastier. The brewers at Stone are geniuses.

05-10-2010 03:33:27 | More by Pahn
myost88

4.75/5  rDev +18.8%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle a tulip pint.

Appearance- Crystal clear pale gold color. Very active bubbling. Two finger frothy white head. Sticky, patchy lacing remaings sporadically across the glass.

Smell- Hop forward like most Stone beers. Floral and a little piney. Clove scent is present from the belgian yeast. It smells quite sweet. Very complex aroma with many layers.

Taste- Wonderful biting hops at first. Tart grapefruit and pine is prevalent. Strong malt backbone rounds this out perfectly finishing sweet. The Belgian yeast strain really serves to highlight the hops and malts, both seperately and taken together, adding a nice spicy kick just before the end of a quaff. Typical of Stone it is sweet at the end not dry. Dare I say I like this better than the original Stone IPA?

Mouthfeel- Just enough carbonation to make this one "jumpy" but keep that nice smooth feeling going down. Medium bodied.

Drinkability- This is both a slow sipper and a beer you can really take some good gulps of. I could see myself enjoying a few pints of this in a row and it wouldnt grow old. Complex, layered brew makes this a good stand alone beer, though I wouldnt want to pair this with food because I like it as is without other flavors going with it.

Overall- Really a terrific beer in my opinion. Belgian yeast really plays well off of the American hops. Stone I hope you make this at the very least a perennial seasonal release, if not a year round.

07-05-2010 02:45:13 | More by myost88
Sludgeman

District of Columbia

4.73/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

$5.99 for the bomber. Enjoy by date of 7/25/13. Poured into a chalice.

Saison meets Enjoy By. Bought this beer as a flyer. How could I could I go wrong at $5.99 for the bomber. WOW - what a deal! When I first tasted this beer I told myself this is the Enjoy By receipe brewed with Belgian yeast - that's how great it tasted. I was not far off, the bottle says Stone IPA with Belgian yeast. This beer is THE DREAM for anyone who is a hop head but also a farmhouse freak. The refreshing complexity of a saison with some not too hoppy bitterness of a great Stone brew.

A - Poured a clear light golden with a white-white rocky head. Average lacing.

S - Piney, earthy and spicey with a little funk. Some hoppy bitterness and some light floral notes.

T - A clear IPA start, a hint of sweetness with a yeasty/funky finish.

MF - Creamy at first with a nice bright finish.

05-08-2013 02:01:14 | More by Sludgeman
abankovich

4.7/5  rDev +17.5%

I was very excited to finally try this beer and bought one the day my order came in.

Poured out a perfect crisp golden color with an off-white head that leaves behind perfect lacing down the glass.

There is an amazing aroma on this one. Sweet citrus hops and Belgian influenced sugar aromas. Great bitterness present as well hiding beneath the sweetness.

The first flavors hitting my tongue are those from the delicious west-coast hopping style that are recognizable from the base Stone IPA. Across the middle the Belgian yeast influences really come out to play and dance across the palate. On the back end there is a clinging bitterness that sticks in the back of your throat for awhile. All around very very delicious.

The mouthfeel is exactly what I would want out of a Belgian IPA. Lively, medium bodied and with great carbonation. The drinkability is very high here. Everything is in perfect balance and the ABV is almost at a sessionable level. I would love to drink these all night long. Really an amazing beer.

12-04-2008 18:05:52 | More by abankovich
JoePat

Kentucky

4.7/5  rDev +17.5%

22oz bottle into my dogfish head glass.

Pours clear amber as most stones do with a white head that disipates quickely.

First it smells hoppy with hints of pine then it becomes a belgian with hints of clove and bannana.

Taste again is a mixture of both IPA and belgian. Not overly hoppy or overly belgian. A little differnt from stones normal approach but it works.

Mouth feel is meduim like you would expect.

I have to say I really enjoyed this beer...different yet familiar in two different ways.

02-19-2009 01:04:56 | More by JoePat
digitalbullet

4.7/5  rDev +17.5%

Appearance: Deep golden mahogany with a nice medium head. Fair head retention.
Smell: Fruity with a light bubble gum sprinklin'. Smells like a triple. There is a fair amount of citrus hops present.
Taste: This brew is the bomb for me! All the characteristics of a classic triple with a hoppy Stone twist. Bubble gum with a hoppy twang. A fair amount of malt can be tasted and good amount of bread "y" yeast can be tasted as well.
Mouthfeel: Clean and crisp. Excellent carbonation and so smooth on the palate.
Drinkability: So Damn easy to drink! If this brew were easier to obtain in my area I could become more of an alchy. Get it if you can!

10-18-2009 03:37:02 | More by digitalbullet
ebby82

4.7/5  rDev +17.5%

Pours a golden haze into a tulip glass. At least two fingers of head are evident. The smell is of Belgian yeast, hops, and a little fruitiness, perhaps grapefruit.

The taste is delicate, yet delicious. The hops and Belgian yeast compliment one another nicely, and it is one of the least Hoppy Stone beers I've ever had. There is also a slight sweetness on the palate, complimented by a slight bitterness. Even those who are averse to hops might enjoy it without complaint.

The mouth feel is light and airy. Highly drinkable, I wish I had more than one bomber's worth.

This is only my second experience with a Belgian style IPA. The other was Flying Dog's Raging Bitch, which I loved. Stone's version is less aggressive. I am beginning to love this beer style.

07-01-2010 22:01:06 | More by ebby82
montageman

Poured into a tulip.

Found one bottle of this gem on a shelf in a local beer shop today. A lucky find indeed. A well made Belgian ale that has impregnated an ultra hoppy Stone IPA to conceive a deliciously complex sweet, bitter nearly perfect beer. Really, this everything I look for in a beer - not sure how readily available this brew is, but if you find a bottle, grab it and gives this bad boy a shot. Highest recommendation.

09-05-2009 01:13:36 | More by montageman
risenc

District of Columbia

4.68/5  rDev +17%

Found this on tap at the Big Hunt on Connecticut Avenue, in Washington, D.C. It was my first time trying it. Poured a nice rich amber color -- at least in the light of the bar -- and had a balanced mouthfeel. I found the taste exceptional -- a perfect balance between hops and Belgian backbone. Sweet and tart, like a good apple. Warming enough to drink in the DC winters, but crisp enough that I could imagine quaffing it in August, too. A real winner in my book.

12-09-2009 14:44:25 | More by risenc
Intrinsic

Germany

4.68/5  rDev +17%

I finally got to try this at the Mondiale de la Biere today and I've only just sobered up enough now to write this review. What an incredible beer. I went back for more twice on this one despite having access to hundreds of other IPAs today.

Pours slightly hazy with great head, a nice dark straw colour, great lacing, great retention.

The smell is obviously quite similar to Stone IPA. I think most of the same ingredients are used except the Belgian yeast, which adds another dimension that really makes this an exceptional beer. Interesting spice notes with the piney hops and citrus of Stone IPA.

The taste is nothing short of perfect, although my obsession with Stone IPA may have something to do with this. Extremely piney, but fruit flavours abound making this a very interesting IPA.

Mouthfeel is quite dry, very smooth, and very drinkable. I will definitely have another one of these as soon as possible.

06-12-2011 04:54:31 | More by Intrinsic
jroberts8811

Missouri

4.68/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 ounce bomber into a Tremens Tulip

A - transparent amber, can see the carbonation through the beer faint white head, dissipates uickly with little lacing
S- citrus fruit, bready, malty, biscuit,honey,floral,anise, hoppy.
T- crisp, dry, hops. floral notes ring through. American IPA meets Belgian IPA. American hop varietals are the showcase here though. Bit of peach in the finish, too?
M-Light, crisp. resinous hops with a long lingering hops bitter finish. so balanced and refreshing.
O-Great Stone IPA for sure with earthy funkiness of a good Belgian IPA. for $4.50 would absolutely recommend again, and again, and again...ridiculously good beer.

07-05-2013 20:33:04 | More by jroberts8811
tmm313

Georgia

4.68/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A- Hazy, golden, straw-like color. Poured a thick, creamy 2 finger head. Great lacing.

S- Banana right off the top. Grapefruit, pine, and hop funk. Give it a swirl for a nice whif of clove and brown sugar.

T- Man, there's a lot going on. Its like there's sweet grapefruit, banana, apple and pear up front, followed by light fresh hops, and ending in pine, grapefruit rind, and a pinch of pepper.

M- Medium, almost heavy, body with crisp carbonation. Nice mix of oil and dryness on the finish. Lingering dry bitterness.

O- Its been said so many times, its almost not worth saying. Stone knows what the hell they are doing. If you haven't jumped on board, you're insane. This was a super complex, super balanced, beer. I'm almost dumbfounded by what just happened. Happens pretty regularly with a Stone brew.

11-30-2013 16:44:26 | More by tmm313
Stone Cali-Belgique from Stone Brewing Co.