Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Stone Cali-Belgique - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Cali-BelgiqueStone Cali-Belgique

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian IPA |  6.90% ABV

Beer added by: gpogo on 07-23-2008

Reviews: 1,036 | Hads: 3,100
4.82/5  rDev +20.8%

I had been waiting to try this one since I saw that they were making it. To me it was the best of both worlds...belgian style yeast and a california IPA. It did not disapoint one bit.
It poured a very nice Dark amber color, the aromas were very much like the name suggests very true to a belgian spciy and citrusy,floral with hints of honey, then you get the aroma of the hops which added to the citrus gave it an almost blood orange scent. Taste was just outstanding typical belgian triple flavors spicy and slightly yeasty but with a nice blast of hops which gave it a nice grapefruit/ citrus like finish.In my opinion the best beer I have had in a long time... This is a perfect food beer. I had it with sauteed red snapper with a lemon butter sauce and it went perfect!! I can't wait to get some more!!

4.82/5  rDev +20.8%

A: Pours a hazy, cloudy, goldenrod. Small off-white head fades quickly.

S: Strong, thick, esters and wheat hit my nose before I could even get close to the glass, wow... When I came in to smell it I got the hops: pineapple, a little bit of pine, and a little booze, just a little.

T: Wow... acidic, tons of pineapple, but balanced by a nice estery, yeasty-ness. No booze in the taste, it's all balanced out. It finishes with a nice chewy malt that is really pleasant.

M: Medium carbonation. Thick and resinous. The acidity really leaves you salivating.

O: An excellent brew, complex and interesting, but very well balanced, especially for a Stone brew.

4.8/5  rDev +20.3%

I just wish I would have bought more than one and I hope when I got back tomorrow that they still have a couple in stock.

This is a bloody good brew. From the smell to the taste to the aftertaste, great all the way through.

I am not all that strong in my Belgian beers, but from what I have been told, most of the aspects of this brew make this a great Belgian.

To be honest, there is not a lot I can say about this brew that you cannot get from your first taste. I am not a fan of a perfect brew, but this is bloody good...

Highly recommend this brew. And, best of all, it's not all that pricey for a bomber (5.99 where I live).

4.8/5  rDev +20.3%

Pours golden and cloudy with a finger's thick head.

Smell is citrus, reduced sugar, hops.

Taste is grapefruit, pineapple, and hops with medium body, medium carbonation and minimal lacing.

Overall this is a great and very well balanced crossover IPA with Belgian Yeast from the folks at Stone.

4.75/5  rDev +19%

In my opinion, this is a near perfect beer that pairs with all kinds of food and drinks well on its own.

The name says it all: Belgian-style IPA. Stone does so many beers so well, especially West Coast IPAs. Match that with Belgian yeast and you've got a whole new take on it.

One of my favorite beers of all-time that also happens to be readily available, and relatively affordable. Can't beat that.

4.74/5  rDev +18.8%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle a tulip pint.

Appearance- Crystal clear pale gold color. Very active bubbling. Two finger frothy white head. Sticky, patchy lacing remaings sporadically across the glass.

Smell- Hop forward like most Stone beers. Floral and a little piney. Clove scent is present from the belgian yeast. It smells quite sweet. Very complex aroma with many layers.

Taste- Wonderful biting hops at first. Tart grapefruit and pine is prevalent. Strong malt backbone rounds this out perfectly finishing sweet. The Belgian yeast strain really serves to highlight the hops and malts, both seperately and taken together, adding a nice spicy kick just before the end of a quaff. Typical of Stone it is sweet at the end not dry. Dare I say I like this better than the original Stone IPA?

Mouthfeel- Just enough carbonation to make this one "jumpy" but keep that nice smooth feeling going down. Medium bodied.

Drinkability- This is both a slow sipper and a beer you can really take some good gulps of. I could see myself enjoying a few pints of this in a row and it wouldnt grow old. Complex, layered brew makes this a good stand alone beer, though I wouldnt want to pair this with food because I like it as is without other flavors going with it.

Overall- Really a terrific beer in my opinion. Belgian yeast really plays well off of the American hops. Stone I hope you make this at the very least a perennial seasonal release, if not a year round.

4.72/5  rDev +18.3%

I was very excited to finally try this beer and bought one the day my order came in.

Poured out a perfect crisp golden color with an off-white head that leaves behind perfect lacing down the glass.

There is an amazing aroma on this one. Sweet citrus hops and Belgian influenced sugar aromas. Great bitterness present as well hiding beneath the sweetness.

The first flavors hitting my tongue are those from the delicious west-coast hopping style that are recognizable from the base Stone IPA. Across the middle the Belgian yeast influences really come out to play and dance across the palate. On the back end there is a clinging bitterness that sticks in the back of your throat for awhile. All around very very delicious.

The mouthfeel is exactly what I would want out of a Belgian IPA. Lively, medium bodied and with great carbonation. The drinkability is very high here. Everything is in perfect balance and the ABV is almost at a sessionable level. I would love to drink these all night long. Really an amazing beer.

4.72/5  rDev +18.3%

Appearance: Deep golden mahogany with a nice medium head. Fair head retention.
Smell: Fruity with a light bubble gum sprinklin'. Smells like a triple. There is a fair amount of citrus hops present.
Taste: This brew is the bomb for me! All the characteristics of a classic triple with a hoppy Stone twist. Bubble gum with a hoppy twang. A fair amount of malt can be tasted and good amount of bread "y" yeast can be tasted as well.
Mouthfeel: Clean and crisp. Excellent carbonation and so smooth on the palate.
Drinkability: So Damn easy to drink! If this brew were easier to obtain in my area I could become more of an alchy. Get it if you can!

4.72/5  rDev +18.3%

22oz bottle into my dogfish head glass.

Pours clear amber as most stones do with a white head that disipates quickely.

First it smells hoppy with hints of pine then it becomes a belgian with hints of clove and bannana.

Taste again is a mixture of both IPA and belgian. Not overly hoppy or overly belgian. A little differnt from stones normal approach but it works.

Mouth feel is meduim like you would expect.

I have to say I really enjoyed this beer...different yet familiar in two different ways.

4.72/5  rDev +18.3%

22oz bottle into a Duvel tulip. No freshness date, but the store just got the bottle in 2 days ago. First had this beer about a year ago and remembered it as being a great IPA/Belgian hybrid. Let's see how it stands up after trying several more iterations of the style.

Appearance: Careful pour yields an inch and a half fluffy white head that dissipates slowly. Both the head and the beer itself leave thick, webbed streaks of lacing everywhere. Pours a translucent orange.

Smell: From the bottle I get grapefruit and Belgian yeast--a good start. In the glass: mildly dank grapefruit and tropical fruit hops, mixed beautifully with sweet, musty Belgian yeast. This is exactly what I would think a "Belgian IPA" would smell like. Strong, interesting, individuated, delicious hoppy smells, and equally distinct, relatively deep smells of Belgian yeast, spice, and mild funk. There's also some pine and a slight herbal/medicinal smell.

As the beer warms and I get deeper into the bottle, all the aforementioned notes stick around and stay strong. Excellent.

Taste: First sip: maltier than expected, with a big breadiness up front and a strong citrus hop finish with lots of bitterness (advertised 77 IBU sounds about right). In the next sip, some mustiness and clove come out, along with a deeper hop profile. Delicious. A slight soapiness comes out, along with a restrained, sweet Belgian yeast influence. Just as the citrus and Belgian yeast/funk notes seem to be getting carried away, there's the classic Stone IPA malt backbone to reel it all in!

Really, I don't think this could be better, besides drinking it immediately upon it being ready for consumption. Stone IPA is a classic, excellent IPA, and Cali-Belgique takes it and combines it with Belgian pale ale characteristics in a beautiful, balanced fashion. Rating to style, this has to be a 5.

Mouthfeel: Juicy and medium bodied, with medium carbonation. Not world class (D)IPA feel, but very good.

Drinkability: The 6.9% ABV is barely noticeable, and the taste (and aroma) stays balanced and beautiful for the entire life of the bottle. I want to drink this beer all summer, and often.

Houblon Chouffe on tap redeemed the concept of the Belgian IPA for me, which had dropped off over the past year. Raging Bitch was, ultimately, a sweet mess, local brewpubs followed suit, and the other random attempts I'd tried (save the wholly different Wild Devil, which is awesome, but simply an IPA with brett in it) fell flat. Cali-Belgique is the beer that originally got me excited about the style, and finally returning to it again (and fresh!), I can see why. It's a better IPA than our recent east coast darling, Larry, and the Belgian influence just makes it deeper and tastier. The brewers at Stone are geniuses.

4.71/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

3/2/15 - still just as good but a little down grade in the appearance, which was hazy.

$5.99 for the bomber. Enjoy by date of 7/25/13. Poured into a chalice.

Saison meets Enjoy By. Bought this beer as a flyer. How could I could I go wrong at $5.99 for the bomber. WOW - what a deal! When I first tasted this beer I told myself this is the Enjoy By receipe brewed with Belgian yeast - that's how great it tasted. I was not far off, the bottle says Stone IPA with Belgian yeast. This beer is THE DREAM for anyone who is a hop head but also a farmhouse freak. The refreshing complexity of a saison with some not too hoppy bitterness of a great Stone brew.

A - Poured a clear light golden with a white-white rocky head. Average lacing.

S - Piney, earthy and spicey with a little funk. Some hoppy bitterness and some light floral notes.

T - A clear IPA start, a hint of sweetness with a yeasty/funky finish.

MF - Creamy at first with a nice bright finish.

4.68/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 ounce bomber into a Tremens Tulip

A - transparent amber, can see the carbonation through the beer faint white head, dissipates uickly with little lacing
S- citrus fruit, bready, malty, biscuit,honey,floral,anise, hoppy.
T- crisp, dry, hops. floral notes ring through. American IPA meets Belgian IPA. American hop varietals are the showcase here though. Bit of peach in the finish, too?
M-Light, crisp. resinous hops with a long lingering hops bitter finish. so balanced and refreshing.
O-Great Stone IPA for sure with earthy funkiness of a good Belgian IPA. for $4.50 would absolutely recommend again, and again, and again...ridiculously good beer.

4.67/5  rDev +17%

Pours a golden haze into a tulip glass. At least two fingers of head are evident. The smell is of Belgian yeast, hops, and a little fruitiness, perhaps grapefruit.

The taste is delicate, yet delicious. The hops and Belgian yeast compliment one another nicely, and it is one of the least Hoppy Stone beers I've ever had. There is also a slight sweetness on the palate, complimented by a slight bitterness. Even those who are averse to hops might enjoy it without complaint.

The mouth feel is light and airy. Highly drinkable, I wish I had more than one bomber's worth.

This is only my second experience with a Belgian style IPA. The other was Flying Dog's Raging Bitch, which I loved. Stone's version is less aggressive. I am beginning to love this beer style.

4.67/5  rDev +17%

22 oz. bomber - Enjoy BY C8 17 10 ??? Pours a bright golden yellow with a super thick foamy white head. Great aroma super sweet and fruity smelling. Pineapple, apricot, honey, some yeastiness, and a bit of alcohol. Medium-to-full bodied with a syrupy texture. Very sweet up front, fruity like the aroma: pineapple juice, apricot and honey. Great flavors! Kind sweet tart like a granny smith apple. Nice hop bitterness, finishes with a piney/citrusy resin. Really very good beer. Very drinkable. ABV will catch up. Thus far my favorite Belgian IPA!

4.67/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A- Hazy, golden, straw-like color. Poured a thick, creamy 2 finger head. Great lacing.

S- Banana right off the top. Grapefruit, pine, and hop funk. Give it a swirl for a nice whif of clove and brown sugar.

T- Man, there's a lot going on. Its like there's sweet grapefruit, banana, apple and pear up front, followed by light fresh hops, and ending in pine, grapefruit rind, and a pinch of pepper.

M- Medium, almost heavy, body with crisp carbonation. Nice mix of oil and dryness on the finish. Lingering dry bitterness.

O- Its been said so many times, its almost not worth saying. Stone knows what the hell they are doing. If you haven't jumped on board, you're insane. This was a super complex, super balanced, beer. I'm almost dumbfounded by what just happened. Happens pretty regularly with a Stone brew.

4.65/5  rDev +16.5%

I finally got to try this at the Mondiale de la Biere today and I've only just sobered up enough now to write this review. What an incredible beer. I went back for more twice on this one despite having access to hundreds of other IPAs today.

Pours slightly hazy with great head, a nice dark straw colour, great lacing, great retention.

The smell is obviously quite similar to Stone IPA. I think most of the same ingredients are used except the Belgian yeast, which adds another dimension that really makes this an exceptional beer. Interesting spice notes with the piney hops and citrus of Stone IPA.

The taste is nothing short of perfect, although my obsession with Stone IPA may have something to do with this. Extremely piney, but fruit flavours abound making this a very interesting IPA.

Mouthfeel is quite dry, very smooth, and very drinkable. I will definitely have another one of these as soon as possible.

4.65/5  rDev +16.5%

Poured into a tulip.

Found one bottle of this gem on a shelf in a local beer shop today. A lucky find indeed. A well made Belgian ale that has impregnated an ultra hoppy Stone IPA to conceive a deliciously complex sweet, bitter nearly perfect beer. Really, this everything I look for in a beer - not sure how readily available this brew is, but if you find a bottle, grab it and gives this bad boy a shot. Highest recommendation.

4.63/5  rDev +16%

This beer pours a clear golden yellow color, with a thick, fluffy white head. The head fades slowly, leaving a great lacing.

This beer smells hoppy. I detect some grassy and citrus hops. It also has a spicy Belgain aroma. I detect some coriander. Earthy yeast aroma is present.

This beer tastes like it smells. Hops and Belgain yeast flavors mixed up. It is great. Grass and grapefruit. Some coriander also.

This beer is full bodied. It is crisp and refreshing. It is highly carbonated, suiting the style. It leaves a hoppy spice aftertaste.

This beer wuld make an excelent session beer. It is not overly alcoholic, and the flavor is great.

Overall: This beer is great. All the conflicting aromas and flavors make this one, surprisingly, a winner.

4.63/5  rDev +16%

Found this on tap at the Big Hunt on Connecticut Avenue, in Washington, D.C. It was my first time trying it. Poured a nice rich amber color -- at least in the light of the bar -- and had a balanced mouthfeel. I found the taste exceptional -- a perfect balance between hops and Belgian backbone. Sweet and tart, like a good apple. Warming enough to drink in the DC winters, but crisp enough that I could imagine quaffing it in August, too. A real winner in my book.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a pint glass. My bottle reads "Cali-Belgie"

Pour gets a two finger head that leaves a good amount of really sticky lace. Color is a nice pale yellow and it's virtually clear. Just a bit of carbonation visible.

As soon as I put my nose into it I get a nice funky smell - there's the Belgian yeast. A nice lemony/citrus/zesty smell is just beneath that funk.

Taste is awesome. Hop taste is quite grassy. The hops don't knock you over at all as some other Stone brews do. There's somewhat of a smooth grainy character to it, and the lemony notes from the nose come across mid-sip. Mouthfeel is very smooth and easy drinking.

This is a nice variation of a traditional AIPA.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From the 2009 bottling*, 22 oz. bomber

Appearance - Light golden with a hint of orange. Starts with a bit more than a half inch head that settles down within 10 minutes to a thin head with a little lacing.

Aroma - Very fresh & intense earthy, sappy, spicy grapefruit hop nose. Magnificent, in fact! Light pale malt in the background. Hard to describe how spectacular the nose of fresh hops is on this baby.

Palate - Big, round, fat, but very dry. Very aromatic, grapefruit & fresh earthy hops from beginning to finish, but not super bitter. Nice pale malt. Powerful flavor - Amazing balance. Carbonation a hint above medium. Hint of Belgian yeast, but very much a nice background note, although it does expand with some air & as it warms. Seems like not many more IBU's than their regular IPA, but this beer has the essence of fresh hops infused throughout like no other beer I've ever tasted.

Mouthfeel - Everything in balance. Huge flavor & persistence - fairly dry throughout. Medium body with big flavor.

Drinkability - Exceptional - hard to put the glass down other than to exclaim over the quality of this brew.

95/100 - American IPA types just don't get much better than this.

WOW! Not the first time I've tasted this, but for my palate, this is the Perfect IPA. So much intense hop aroma & flavor, but not overly bitter - not that I mind That, either! If there's a better IPA for my palate, I haven't tasted it yet. If you like this style, you have to get a hold of some!

I give thanks for the Stone brewers - too bad I'm on the other coast!?!

* Note: Haven't (but will) reviewed the 2010 bottling yet, but have tasted & it doesn't approach the '09.

4.62/5  rDev +15.8%

Poured golden with a nice loose knit cap of bubbles on top. Looks like any other beer, but looks can be deceiving.

The beer has an oak woody smell to me at first. Then citrus notes come through, now that is all I can smell.

The taste is smackingly good, citrusy hops. It finishes dry, beckoning you to take another sip. The citrus rind hops lingers on the tongue.

This beer is pretty bomb. I wish it wasn't so expensive.

4.62/5  rDev +15.8%

In an attempt to "catch up" on my Beers of 2012 project, I am revisiting some old favorites. The Cali-Belgie from Stone Brewing is one that I've often labeled as my favorite from this West Coast Hop-head brewery. I had never been much of a hop-head myself and frequently found the beers from Stone a little too intense for my preference. I think my tastes have changed pretty drastically over the past few months, so Sara and I are revisiting this interesting little guy.

Stone Cali-Belgie is a twist on one of their old favorites. The brewers take their traditional IPA recipe but substitute a strain of Belgian yeast, giving just a little something 'extra.' The Cali-Belgie pours out a bright golden color with lots of soft, fluffy white foam. Foam is bountiful at first but fades slowly leaving just a small amount of lacing on the side of my Chimay glass.

The aromas of this IPA are far more interesting than I remember! There is definitely some mild hops present but they're much softer style than Stone is usually known for. The hops aromas are dominated by the floral/lightly citrus style hops without being too in-your-face or pungent. There is also a very interesting banana quality to it, very reminiscent of Juicy Fruit chewing gum.

On the palate I'm really surprised by how sweet this "IPA" is! Now don't get me wrong, there is a significant amount of hops on the tongue, but like the nose suspected its a very soft, smooth, and floral hops character. The citrus & banana component is uncanny! It tastes almost as if you were just chewing some Juicy Fruit and took a sip of a Stone IPA, it is absolutely wild!

During the time it took for us to work on this bottle of Cali-Belgie, we also had a few customers inquire about our half-full glasses. One guy was originally going to buy Bud Light but wanted to try something new. After just a couple sips of the Cali-Belgie he was converted. There are few things more satisfying than converting a Bud Light drinker to serious craft beer!

4.61/5  rDev +15.5%

This beer was amazing and unexpected. I am used to being shocked by Stone, but this beer was a very pleasant surprise. A traditional looking IPA except that it is a little light in color. Clear. Tall rocky head that left sculpted concentric rings. Amazingly the yeast aroma really battle with the hops in the nose. On first sniff I was confused. My curiosity aroused. Very spicy as well dominated by cloves. I have never had a beer with such overt clove aroma. Is it the Belgian yeast that does this? The taste was all Stone IPA but more. The brew tasted like a blend of caramel malts, citrusy hops and a fruity taste. The fruit was pineapple-mango-peach-tangerine. Very intriguing. Then the hops wrestled the aftertaste away again. A fresh grassy sort of hops. Very fresh like a wet-hopped beer. The body was medium light with average carbonation. Call the texture soft to oily. Overall a great and refreshingly different beer. It's not your traditional IPA. I give Stone top marks for attempting this unique hybrid and pulling it off.

4.6/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Dogfish signature snifter. No freshness date.

A- Pours a medium amber color with a 3/4 inch white head that has great retention before becoming an 1/8 inch head leaving a fluffy crown of lacing on the edge of the glass behind it.

S- Tropical fruit pours out of the bouquet while melding with the Belgian yeast to create a wonderful aroma.

T- Heavy notes of pineapple, papaya and guava with a sharp yeast bite to funk things up a bit. Hops play their part as well making things just bitter enough. Juicy and vaporous.

M- Tight and prickly with a lightish body and medium carbonation.

O- One of my favorite Belgian IPAs. Unique and perfectly balanced.

Stone Cali-Belgique from Stone Brewing Co.