Stone Cali-Belgique - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Cali-BelgiqueStone Cali-Belgique

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian IPA |  6.90% ABV

(Beer added by: gpogo on 07-23-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Cali-Belgique Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

3.48/5  rDev -12.8%

A - Looks identical to the regular Stone IPA. Light honey copper with a creamy head and some nice lacing

S - The C hops are all you smell but as it warms the yeast really begins to show and it starts smelling similar to a tripel.

T - I like IPAs I like Belgian beers... but I dont get this. It seems like a waste of hops or waste of yeast. It seems like the beer is fighting to be an IPA and then a Belgian. Tastes like half a tripel mixed with half an IPA.

M - Finishes dry and the hoppy oiliness I want isn't there

D - Not a bad beer by any stretch and quite a novel idea. Just not for me.

3.48/5  rDev -12.8%

22oz bomber, best by 4/22/11, poured into tulip pint

A: Pours a crystal clear yellow-golden-orange. One finger of fine white head that dissipates slowly, leaving moderate lacing.

S: Belgian yeast, fruity esters, and bits of spices are all extremely prevalent in this beer's smell, accented by hints of citrus hops- I imagine that many were included, but in the face of the overwhelming yeast aroma their scent is reduced to that of a rather meager orange peel.

T: Hops are more noticeable here, with pine and grapefruit actually being the first elements of taste I pick up on. Candy malts and spicy yeast linger on the finish before being replaced by a somewhat indiscriminate bitterness.

M: Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation providing a bit of bubbles and more of that Belgian feel. Sticky finish reminiscent of the West Coast IPAs that make up the other half of this beer.

D: A good beer, even if I wasn't a huge fan of the aroma/taste. Not sure I would pick this one up again for a while, and by the end of the glass I wasn't particularly interested in it, but definitely one to try.

3.45/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a clear straw orange with two fingers of white, frothy head. The head recedes into a soapy cap with good lacing.

S: Smells of grassy, herbal hops up front followed by a metallic Belgian sweetness and yeasty aroma. There's a bit of skunk in there as well, though this beer was not exposed to much light.

T: Similar to the aroma, the herbal/grassy hops hit the palate first followed by the Belgian yeast flavor with a bit of sweetness. There's a slightly metallic aftertaste to the yeast as well.Not enough to make the beer unenjoyable, but enough to be noticeable.

M: Medium-thin body with medium carbonation, this beer is a bit thin and oily feeling for my likes.

O: Overall, a pretty decent beer. The slight metallic taste and weak body hold it back, but it's still a fairly enjoyable beer.

3.45/5  rDev -13.5%

This one pours out a dark gold/orange color, with very minimal head and little lacing. At first there is a lot of carbonation, but it recedes as quickly as the head.

The smell is interesting. It is clearly a combination of a belgian style ale, with a bit of Stone's pale ale scent. There is a definite clove part, along with some light malt sweetness.

There is a lot of spice and herb in the taste, which was expected given the Belgian yeast. There is a bit of hop bitterness, but it is drowned by the sweetness of the malt and the spices.

The mouthfeel is fairly light, but has a distinct bite at the end, probably from the carbonation.

Very drinkable for a Stone beer. Not a whole lot of flavor or heaviness to weigh you down, and enough carbonation to make you feel refreshed, not groggy.

3.45/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

served from the tap in a snifter glass

appears a pale yellow color with bright white head. aroma is very spicy and yeasty smelling. hops are herbal and citrusy. taste follows with more of the same. minor malt profile. Medium body, high carbonation, a bit fizzy.

overall - alright, but a bit too much of the Belgian yeast flavors for me.

3.45/5  rDev -13.5%

Poured a 1 Pt 6 oz bottle into a Tulip.

A: Poured a 1/2 fingered head. The head appears nice and creamy in color. This holds a nice Fulvous-Amber color. A slight carbonation even rises to the top which gives me the impression that this head will be lasting. Sadly this does not lace though.

S: This does remind me of a Belgian due to the spicy yeasts that this gives off. Some hops due come off of this, but most of this is the yeasts that I smelled.

T: This starts off as a Belgian with Belgian yeasts, spices, and even a bit of banana. After this though it goes to its IPA taste. This holds a nice bitterness in the mouth, but it is far from strong. If anything this bitterness is nice and balanced. A hop taste does coat the mouth and it stays quite nicely, but it's definitely not too dominating which goes to show how they added a Belgian sense to this beer.

M: This almost feels chewy at times if that makes sense. This is nice and smooth, but it also has a moderate amount of carbonation.

O: This is definitely an interesting style. This brew definitely succeeds at what it aimed to do. The problem with this was that I really don't a Belgian, yes this includes a Duvel. A Belgian feels to light for my taste. Balancing a beer is nice, but I simply enjoy stronger flavors to emerge.

3.45/5  rDev -13.5%

A- Thick foamy frothy head. The beer is golden amber in color.

S- This has a nice smell. Clove and banana with a mix of hops. Great combination of Belgian yeast with hop taste.

T- The taste is unique. The hops are quite bitter, yet there is a nice clove taste mixed in that comes and goes. But I think the hops are a bit too bitter. They should be sweeter to combine with the clove taste.

M- The feel is good and smooth. The hops do have their way with the palate.

D- Easy to drink, but I think I would rather have my Belgians taste like Belgians and my IPAs taste like IPAs.

3.45/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Entirely transparent golden yellow with a slightly orange tint. One of the most transparent beers i've ever seen, in fact. Big bubbly white head with weak retention.

S: BIG candied fruit and floral aroma. Citrus mainly, with some notes of bananas and star fruit. Mildly hoppy with a small yeast aroma.

T: Definitely a large fruit flavor. Oranges, apples, grapefruit, lemon zest and bananas are all in full effect. Fantastic Belgian yeast bite and hop bite; not strong, perfectly balanced. The floral bitterness in the body is a nice touch. Aftertaste is quite reminiscent of apple cider.

M: SWEET. Very sweet. Slightly hoppy and slightly malty. Medium body with medium carbonation.

D: Good. Not my favorite Stone, the mish-mash taste of fruit is overwhelming.

3.44/5  rDev -13.8%

3.44/5  rDev -13.8%

3.43/5  rDev -14%

This is not up to the usual Stone bar, the biggest issue is a huge metallic twang in there, like chewing on foil or licking a signpole...not like i've done the later.

The aroma is big herbal florals and sticky hop resin that defines the Stone experience.

There's some powdery floral hops and chewy resin in here. astringent lemon peel and some slices like white pepper and clove. It's just an IPA, big chewy and bitter...with some metallic funk. Drinkablility isn't really there, it's just too one-dimensional for me to enjoy in large quantities...i got bored by the bottom of my 22. You want a really good belgian ipa, go with choffe...same price, yet delicious.

3.43/5  rDev -14%

Had this beer in a pint on tap at the ale house redding, ca.

A= was really good nice, dark amber color. Great lacing and good one inch head. great appearance.
S=had almost a meat smell to it, bacon hint. Some good tones.
T=the taste wast alright but to me it had a bacon flavor to it. Alright Ipa flavor and hops.. but the Belgian aspect had a little bacon flavor I thought.
M=Was alright not too bad, good palate taste and nothing too strong.
D=I couldnt give the drinkability more scores being the IPA and Belgian aspects didnt flow on my palate due to the bacon flavor.

Overall a good beer. But the two crossing style flavors didnt mesh in my book.

3.43/5  rDev -14%

Appearance is golden with a rich thick head that crowns.

The smell is Estery with hints of bubble gum and sweet malt. Oh yeah, there's hops in there.

Tastes like good Belgian yeast chased by a good hop flavor. No real strong bitterness which allows the malt and yeast characteristic to come through.

Mouth feel is medium light with good carbonation. Good bite from the dryness, finishing clean.

I buy this stuff by the case, it's my favorite style and, well, stone is a good brewery. It's well done and cheap. Good daily night ender.

3.43/5  rDev -14%

Appearance: Yellow-gold with slight haze, good head.

Smell: Blast of wet rag at first whiff, then settles into a floral, spicy smell.

Taste: Mild bread sweetness, spices and black pepper, underlying grassy hop flavor.

Drinkability: Kind of heavy feeling, kind of weird tasting.

Another beer I finally get to try with Stone in Minnesota. I know the Belgian IPA style is a little weird to start with, but this beer didn't quite hit the mark with me. It's like they took a middle-of-the-road Belgian ale and added more hops than usual.

3.4/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This is one of a number of failed attempts to make a combined belgian/california double india pale ale. Like the others, it takes two great styles and assumes the flavors can be mixed in a sittuatio that really doesn't work. You should try but i'll be surprised if you don't feel the same way.

3.4/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a nice yellow with a touch of orange. Fair amount of carbonation, and forms a 1 finger off white head.

Not a lot of smell to this one, mainly malt with a touch of floral. I was surprised to detect as much malt as I did.

Malt seems to be the first thing I taste, followed by a bit of citrus, then the hops kick in. Not overly complex, but the flavors are nicely balanced with the exception of the hops, who assert themselves at the end.

Not a bad feel to this one, pretty solid.

First off, I will say that the IPA is probably my least favorite style of beer. That being said, this one is a pretty good beer overall. There is a pronounced hops flavor to this, but not to the point of being overwhelming. The other flavors help balance it out, making this one of the better IPAs I have tried.

3.4/5  rDev -14.8%

A: Nice bright and slightly hazy golden ale with a small white head. Odd, producing really large soap-like bubbles on the pour.

S: Fruity Belgian ale yeast smells and a relatively light, fruity hop nose. Not the hop bomb I expected. A touch of bready malt.

T: Just... different. A lot of perceived sweetness coming from interplay of malt and heavy perfume of esters, with a relatively aggressive bitterness from start to finish. It tastes like a fine Belgian, such as Delirium Tremens, overhopped into a lingering and clashing bitterness that overwhelms and fights with the finer points of the yeast palate. I am a fan of both styles as they are but this beer has not sold me on trying to combine them. There are some fine Belgian pale ales out there, but this one is a little too aggressive. The flavor is really not bad, but my expectations were not quite met.

M: Appropriate to a middle of the road American IPA but a little heavy for a Belgian.

3.38/5  rDev -15.3%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a Dogfish Head Signature glass.

A: Pours a crystal clear amber hued orange color. Aggressive pour at first warned of huge head so I backed it down and got about a two finger rocky white head that disappeared quickly to a whispy layer. Lacing is spotty.

S: Nothing is too overpowering, slight hop presence, definite Belgian bread-yeast profile and if I had to pick one aroma that stood out, it would probably be this one but I'm not sure it's fits in with the rest of the smells.

T: Falls in line with the aroma, again nothing is outstanding, all pretty toned down flavors. Slightly more balanced than the smell.

M: Creamy feel, hop oils coat the mouth nicely. Ample carbonation.

O: Man, this is a pretty average beer all around. I was really looking forward to this one as I love a good Belgian IPA and this one just felt so safe. I feel like Stone could have taken a few shots with this one and just didn't. I won't be seeking this one out again.

3.38/5  rDev -15.3%

hazy golden amber in color. It has a thin foamy head but is quite persistant. Well carbonated. Aroma is quite full of hops, citrus with a good tangerine bouquet, floral and a touch of grass. Honey malts balance the hops.
Starts of nice and hoppy , true to its birth place. Bright citrus/floral hops. malts are honey sweet but don't really balance out the hop onslaught. Now here is the part I didn't like: The second half of this tasting to me has a sort of Welch's grape drink taste. Very off putting in my opinion.
Drinks smooth and clean, no aftertaste to speak of.
I looked through numerous reviews to see if anyone else picked up on the Welch's taste as did I and found none, so perhaps it me.

3.38/5  rDev -15.3%

Hazy, pumpkin orange in color, poured from bomber into Carolus tulip glass. Very little head.

Belgian yeast aroma. Very little else coming through. Some faint apple.

Apple juice right off the bat, very little bittering. Honey. Slightly cloying. Hmm. I must have bought a bad bottle. Not impressed. Some lemon zest.

Under carbonated, thick, like a cider.

Overall, not horrible. But I was expecting way more.

Side note:

Let it warm up, and the idea became clearer. Still overwhelming apple cider to it. Thin carbonation. Thick mouthfeel. Obscure to say the least. Having said all of that, I keep drinking it. Hmmm.

I'm gonna buy this again, from a different store, and give this beer review another go.

3.35/5  rDev -16%

A - Nice amber color with mild golden tones, cream colored fluffy dense head which leaves very good lacing on the glass.

S - At first gree apple peels with a mild caramel aroma from the malts but not too intense. good sweet yet floral aroma. Very well balanced in my opinio between hops and malts.

T- Hit with a bittnerness and you can for sure see the tastes that come out of this with them using the begin style yeast. Finishes with a some what not quite ripe great fruit appeal.

M - Good medium bodied IPA with a sharp and crisp feelin about it. Hops leave your palate with a slight coating on them.

D - IMO very well balanced, the belgin style really comes out in this one as the Name says that it should. Not my first choice when it comes to a beer or my first choice when it comes to Stone's beer but worthy of trying.

3.35/5  rDev -16%

Well, this looks identical to Stone IPA. Light orange, almost yellow with a white head. The smell is immediately different, still very hoppy, bubblegum, and belgian yeast, spicy. The taste is bitter hops and not much else.The belgian influence is very subdued. This was interesting and I'll always give a new Stone beer a fair shake but I won't be returning to this. I could see if using Belgian yeast with the Stone IPA recipe made for a good beer but this just feels like a cheap gimmick.

3.33/5  rDev -16.5%

pours a clear golden color with a good sized white head. Nice strong lacing. At first smell I pick up a ton of hops but after while they become overpowered by the belgian yeast. Once I pull away and go back to it I get a blend of both. It's citrusy and piney, almost like someone poured a tripel into an IPA. The taste is vastly different from the smell. It's unlike anything I've had. At first I'm a little confused then strong grapefruit breaks through and an almost grassy undertone. Mouthfeel is much thinner than I would have expected or wanted. It's also a little flatter than I would have liked as well. Drinkability is decent. This is a different beer and I'm glad I tried it. It's only my second in the style and has me intrigued enough to try others, but I don't know how much I'll be going back to this one.

Stone Cali-Belgique from Stone Brewing Co.