Stone Cali-Belgique - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Cali-BelgiqueStone Cali-Belgique

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian IPA |  6.90% ABV

Beer added by: gpogo on 07-23-2008

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Cali-Belgique Alström Bros
3.35/5  rDev -16%

pours a clear golden color with a good sized white head. Nice strong lacing. At first smell I pick up a ton of hops but after while they become overpowered by the belgian yeast. Once I pull away and go back to it I get a blend of both. It's citrusy and piney, almost like someone poured a tripel into an IPA. The taste is vastly different from the smell. It's unlike anything I've had. At first I'm a little confused then strong grapefruit breaks through and an almost grassy undertone. Mouthfeel is much thinner than I would have expected or wanted. It's also a little flatter than I would have liked as well. Drinkability is decent. This is a different beer and I'm glad I tried it. It's only my second in the style and has me intrigued enough to try others, but I don't know how much I'll be going back to this one.

3.35/5  rDev -16%

Had on tap at Daily Pint
Poured a very bright orange color with a white head. Smells like citrus and yeast. The taste is a bit more balanced, but still very yeasty with a citrus kick. I thought it was a little tart at the end. Drinkability is low. Just strange but good.

3.34/5  rDev -16.3%

22 oz. bomber,

A: Pours yellow with a medium, somewhat fizzy white head, fair retention, doesn't have good lacing like I would expect in a Belgian or an IPA.

S: Dominated by citrus, get a lot of tangerine, citrus, pineapple, and an earthy Belgian yeast kick, light pepper.

T: Has a strong grapefruit orange character that the regular Stone IPA has. Belgian character is there with bitter spice, pepper, and definite bubblegum esters at the end.

M: Medium body with a mild prickly carbonation on the tongue. Too astringent at times.

D: An interesting beer, but in the end I wasn't a huge fan of it, I didn't think the flavours blended well enough together and the hop character got unappetizingly bitter after a while. A nice experiment, I could see myself trying it again, but wont be a go to beer from Stone.

3.32/5  rDev -16.8%

A- Pours a hazy amber/straw color with orange hues and 2-3 fingers of dense head that leaves clumps of lacing throughout.

S- Wow, I have to say that Belgian IPA's really smell great... Nice sweet caramel malt and bready yeast finished with a shit-ton of floral hops, only way stone knows how, but these hops are different than typical Stone hops, much lighter floral scents.

T- Immediate trippel taste, and wham bitter floral/earthy hoppy IPA taste followed by a slight caramel malt and bready yeast... I guess I just am not a fan of the style, stick to one style and to it well...

M- Medium body with ample fluffy carbonation and a decent dry finish.

D- I love IPA's and I like Belgian Trippel's, however, I cannot explain my discontent for blending the two I find them not enjoyable at all...

3.32/5  rDev -16.8%

Brilliantly clear, deep golden color. Pours a nice sized white head, creamy and with good retention.

Solventy pepper aroma. Almost medicinal in a cough syrup kind of sense. Belgian aromas dominate any hop aromas for me.

Slightly sweet phenolic character at start, again a bit medicinal. Nice peppery spiciness, and some piney hop flavors. Finishes with an assertive hop bitterness still coated with a peppery Belgian character.

MF - Medium body and carbonation, no astringency, minimal alcohol warming.

Overall - The merging of styles detracted rather than enhanced it for me. Some of the aroma and flavor character struck me as unpleasant. I'd take a conventionally made Stone IPA over this one.

3.31/5  rDev -17%

Poured section of Cali-Belgique bomber into a pint glass:

A: Definitely appears to be an IPA. It's that perfect yellow/orange color that gets you excited. A great 2-finger head materializes, and sparse bubbles congregate around the edge of the glass. Exquisite retention; lacing is full and frothy.

S: I expect the familiar hops and citrus I've come to love, but instead there's the peppery, earthy smell distinctive to Belgian white ales. The hops and citrus are buried. I'm curious for a taste...

T: As expected from the smell: peppery, smokey, kind of burnt flavor. The IPA flavor is subtle and takes over more towards the end. After a few sips it grows on you.

M: Superb. Everything I look for is here: excellent flavor transfer, light/medium body, and dry finish.

O: This was a very interesting experience for me. Ultimately though, I think I'll stick to normal IPAs. Definitely something to check out, but not really for me.

3.3/5  rDev -17.3%

Hadn't heard of this one in Stone's line-up upon seeing a bottle, price was right, so here we are. Pours somewhere between a dingy gold and a highly bright copper with very little visible carbonation, firm two inches of creamy white head a thin layer of which is VERY persistent.

The usual piney IPA smell is first, followed by lemon and something like pineapple. Faint candy in the background too. Swig...

The citrus notes are surprisingly obvious, even for a style that is pretty deeply associated with that kind of hop character. Yet it doesn't get annoying; oddly enough, the amped up dryness cuts in rather well. Speaking of which, the bitterness is more imparted by being dry than by being hoppy. There was little fizz in the pour, and there is little fizz in the go-down, which is oily.

I think there's two ways something like this has to be judged: accuracy of style, and simple beer-as-beer. Stone's stated intention (it's right on the bottle) is California-meets-Belgium, and on that I think they could've used a touch more west coast g-funk. On beer-as-beer merits, it still works though. I averaged the two.

3.3/5  rDev -17.3%

poured into a perfect pint

pours a clear gold with a off white head. not to much head, not to much lace, but some tints in the hue, somewhat copper toned.

smells hoppy and yeasty. some nice mix of fruits.

bitter and hoppy, but not what i come to expect from stone. not enough bite. i loved ruination and ipa, but this is a bit to weak. obviously its a belgain ipa, but i wanted a more refined taste. still, good. light body. pretty easy to drink.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

an american distinctly. pours clear with a yellow/orange hue and a head of two fingers. american foam. not tight. not much lace either. nose of belgian sugar and pineapple. palate of something along those lines but the sugar has a plastic resin quality with the hops. grit hush quality and apricot. hoppy but muted by a abnormal sweet that doesn't add but disorients the palate. i love this style. i am sympathizing that maybe the bottle was infected. but it was complete average. worst stone i've had.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22-oz. bomber into a smaller class at the Courtyard Marriott in Culver City, Calif. Less than a finger of head. Color was honey pale. Light layer of gray lacing that wanted to stay, but was slowly evaporating. Light layer of soapy film on the sides.

Fruit dominated the initial smell. Got apple first with some pear, grapes and kiwi knocking on the door. Some rotten fruit as well.

Tasted pretty close to the smell, albeit a bit skunkier. Got some bitterness in there as well. Apple leading the way still. Some light pear as well.

Light body. Creamy texture. Average-to-soft carbonation. Bitter finish.

An OK beer, but nothing special. I will say that it had the “Stone” feel to it, but I just wasn’t into it from the start.

At OBF

A - Poured light golden with a 1 fingered head white head. Dissipated slow and left no lacing.

S - Light honey and flowers.

T - Light honey, flowers, heavy mint, and a little funk. Possibly from yeast.

M - Moderate bodied and hop dominated.

D - The flowers and mint dominated this beer, which was really too much for my personal tastes. Crafting a good Belg-IPA is such a fine art.

3.27/5  rDev -18%

On the light side for an IPA--perhaps that involves the Belgian yeast? The head is thin but solid, and the retention is excellent.

I'm ordinarily a big fan of belgian aromas, and this one smells much more like an IPA. Without detecting what's usually a distinct Belgian smell, it offers more of a citrusy effect. Nothing extraordinary, but certainly pleasant.

Ooooh--I can taste the Belgian aspect. Having already disclosed I'm more of an IPA guy, I'm a little let down after my wafting. Where the smell is only subtlely Belgian, the taste is only subtlely IPA. Since "Belgian" is only an adjective describing the main "IPA" noun, I've got to judge this here beer relative to IPAs.

Belgian yeasts and quality carbonation combine for a good mouthfeel. It's almost like an alka-seltzer the way it fizzes and cleanses the palate. This effect would make the Cali-Belgique an effective transition beer among different foods and drinks.

The beer is easy to drink, and it's appropriate for just about any occasion. Thing is, it'd have to taste better to go to it more consistently.

3.27/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

26 days old (bottled 03/01) - calculated by subtacting 120 days from exp. date of 6/29/2013 (according to Stone's website).

A: Copper color. Clear. Small head.
S: Sweet spices dominate: clove, pepper. I actually don't sense the usual hop flavors: citrus or pine. Bubble gum.
T: Some sugary sweetness.Bready maltiness. Slight acidic tang.
M: Medium-light, definitely on the light side of the style.
O: I would classify this as a Belgian Pale Ale more than an IPA because I don't sense much hop aroma or flavor. Nothing offensive about it, just not crazy about the flavors.

3.27/5  rDev -18%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a nonic. No date stamp, but bought from a generally reputable retailer.

This brew pours a very hazy apricot color crested with three fingers of head that leaves nice retention and lacing. The aroma is a nice mix between some Belgian yeast funkiness and some nice west-coast hop dankness. Citrus aspects are also noted. The taste is a little less balanced then I thought, the Belgian aspects are really the stars of the shows here. There's a bit of a nice hop kick in the center, but the slightly funky Belgian yeast and fruity ester qualities really dominates the start and finish of this brew. More hops, please.

The mouthfeel is pretty good, it's firmly carbonated and a bit light on the mouth, and the drinkability suffers just a little bit from the Belgian dominance. Overall, still not my favourite style. I wish there was more of a focus on the IPA side of the "Belgian IPA" equation.

3.27/5  rDev -18%

Bomber poured into a Three Philosophers mini snifter.

Appearance - Clear bronze-copper. Small white head.

Smell - Sour apple. Almost like a Flemish. Don't know how to interpret this. Stale bottle or innovative style? I'll take it for what it's worth.

Taste - A cross between an IPA and a Flemish sour. Both characters being mild. Weird and interesting.

Mouthfeel - Watery. Acidic.

Overall Drinkability -There's no real style or frame of reference by which to grade this. They apparentlycall it an IPA but it's not like any I've had. I'll have to simply rate it on sheer enjoyment factor, and there it does well.

3.26/5  rDev -18.3%

On tap at Stone World Bistro in Escondido, CA. Served in a stemmed glass 12/14/14.

A- Clear yellow body, two finger white head with long retention time, very nice lacing and longevity. Nice film. Looks like a clear, filtered version of Stone IPA.

S- Unlike Stone IPA though, this is dominated by the Belgian yeast. Esters, minerals, cloves, caramel. Smells very weird and not what I would expect from any kind of IPA.

F- This doesn't work for me. Bitter pine mixed in with banana and cloves from the yeast. Dry, caramel pale malt sweetness. I don't know, it could certainly work for some people but it isn't something that I find to be an effective combination.

M- Medium bodied, similar to Stone IPA, nice crisp mouthfeel that is both dry and refreshing. Finish is that odd mineral-forward Belgian flavour mixed in with pine bitterness.

O- The Belgian yeast just doesn't work for me here. Much rather have the regular Stone IPA than the Belgian counterpart. It's still cool to see as the effects of the particular yeast you use in a beer, because the rest of the beer is identical to Stone IPA. The yeast can really change things up, and in a way it's a cool accident that Stone accidentally pitched in Belgian yeast into a batch of Stone IPA and are now making this year-round.

Final score: 3.23

3.25/5  rDev -18.5%

Stone Cali-Belgique from Stone Brewing Co.