Stone Cali-Belgique - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Cali-BelgiqueStone Cali-Belgique

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian IPA |  6.90% ABV

(Beer added by: gpogo on 07-23-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Cali-Belgique Alström Bros

3.23/5  rDev -19%

On tap at Stone World Bistro in Escondido, CA. Served in a stemmed glass 12/14/14.

A- Clear yellow body, two finger white head with long retention time, very nice lacing and longevity. Nice film. Looks like a clear, filtered version of Stone IPA.

S- Unlike Stone IPA though, this is dominated by the Belgian yeast. Esters, minerals, cloves, caramel. Smells very weird and not what I would expect from any kind of IPA.

F- This doesn't work for me. Bitter pine mixed in with banana and cloves from the yeast. Dry, caramel pale malt sweetness. I don't know, it could certainly work for some people but it isn't something that I find to be an effective combination.

M- Medium bodied, similar to Stone IPA, nice crisp mouthfeel that is both dry and refreshing. Finish is that odd mineral-forward Belgian flavour mixed in with pine bitterness.

O- The Belgian yeast just doesn't work for me here. Much rather have the regular Stone IPA than the Belgian counterpart. It's still cool to see as the effects of the particular yeast you use in a beer, because the rest of the beer is identical to Stone IPA. The yeast can really change things up, and in a way it's a cool accident that Stone accidentally pitched in Belgian yeast into a batch of Stone IPA and are now making this year-round.

Final score: 3.23

3.21/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

It had a little had light carbonination. Its a very light in tast but still has good aroma to a little out doors tast to it with a belgian wheet. The hops were a little weak but still had a little critus tang to it . No date on the bottle which was odd, but for the price it wasnt bad.

3.21/5  rDev -19.5%

Appearance: Poured an almost perfectly clear orange-gold color, decent head about two fingers worth when first poured, stayed at about a fingers worth throughout drinking it.

Aroma: Very hoppy smelling, and I could pick up on a slight fruitiness but it was very hard to pick out over the hops. Smelled a little stronger than other IPAs I have had.

Taste: Citrus with some very light bready flavors. A bit of a pine aftertaste.

Mouth feel: Very high carbonation, but I guess that comes with this style of beer.

Drinkability: Not my favorite beer from stone, but still a great beer

look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

08/22/12 On tap. Part of flight of Stone's stuff, this is the lighter entry at a mere 6.9%. Much lighter mouth feel than the others. I swear as it passed under my nose I caught a hint of Bologna/Bratwurst...I know...I know, but that's what I got.

Research leans toward Belgian yeast & saisson styling and who am I to argue?

3.2/5  rDev -19.8%

On the light side for an IPA--perhaps that involves the Belgian yeast? The head is thin but solid, and the retention is excellent.

I'm ordinarily a big fan of belgian aromas, and this one smells much more like an IPA. Without detecting what's usually a distinct Belgian smell, it offers more of a citrusy effect. Nothing extraordinary, but certainly pleasant.

Ooooh--I can taste the Belgian aspect. Having already disclosed I'm more of an IPA guy, I'm a little let down after my wafting. Where the smell is only subtlely Belgian, the taste is only subtlely IPA. Since "Belgian" is only an adjective describing the main "IPA" noun, I've got to judge this here beer relative to IPAs.

Belgian yeasts and quality carbonation combine for a good mouthfeel. It's almost like an alka-seltzer the way it fizzes and cleanses the palate. This effect would make the Cali-Belgique an effective transition beer among different foods and drinks.

The beer is easy to drink, and it's appropriate for just about any occasion. Thing is, it'd have to taste better to go to it more consistently.

3.18/5  rDev -20.3%

22oz bottle
Amber with golden highlights, lively carbonation and solid one finger head. Smells like belgium yeast and fruity hops. Taste of tangerine, grapefruit, hops and carmel. Bitter finish. Doesn't taste bad but just not what I was hoping from this beer. Its like the beer doesn't know what it wants to be.

3.18/5  rDev -20.3%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a nonic. No date stamp, but bought from a generally reputable retailer.

This brew pours a very hazy apricot color crested with three fingers of head that leaves nice retention and lacing. The aroma is a nice mix between some Belgian yeast funkiness and some nice west-coast hop dankness. Citrus aspects are also noted. The taste is a little less balanced then I thought, the Belgian aspects are really the stars of the shows here. There's a bit of a nice hop kick in the center, but the slightly funky Belgian yeast and fruity ester qualities really dominates the start and finish of this brew. More hops, please.

The mouthfeel is pretty good, it's firmly carbonated and a bit light on the mouth, and the drinkability suffers just a little bit from the Belgian dominance. Overall, still not my favourite style. I wish there was more of a focus on the IPA side of the "Belgian IPA" equation.

3.15/5  rDev -21.1%

A- this beer is like a slightly darker budweiser in color. But to me what gives it extra points is the head. It's foamy a sticks all over my pint glass. Very tiny bubbles coming from the bottom of the glass at all times.

S- when I smell this beer I smell apples and some lemon and banana, with some hints of some hop. Defiantly strikes me as a belgium beer, and defiantly smells likes it will be good.

T- the taste if this beer is dry, and has a firm Belgium flavor. I definatky taste apple lemon and bitter hopsand little bit of spice. The hops come in later and leave a lingering bitterness in my mouth. I really like hoppy beers and especially stone, but this one is not my favorite tasting. However it is still a solid beer anqd great interpretation, and anyone who is looking for something different should give it a try.

It's a good beer and I'm glad I got to try it while it was out. just not my specific taste.

Stone Cali-Belgique from Stone Brewing Co.