Stone Cali-Belgique - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Cali-BelgiqueStone Cali-Belgique

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian IPA |  6.90% ABV

Beer added by: gpogo on 07-23-2008

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,808 | Reviews: 999
4.82/5  rDev +20.8%

Pours crystal clear. Golden in color against the white of my beer review page, more coppery against my white walls. Held up to the light, it looks like a sunrise through the glass.

The initial amell from popping the top is quite bready. From the glass, I get some light bread or over-ripe citrus, some light Belgian yeast (pleasant, not really funky), and soms wonderfuly fresh, spicy aromas, (mainly clove) as well as some light herbal aromas. Very fruity and grassy at the same time.

Taste of sweet malt and spice again, but this time there are strong herbal notes which fuse with the sweet malts and bitter hops to create a superb taste sensation. Peppery.

Medium bodied, but substantial enough to hold the incredible flavor for the duration. Some warming alcohol in the throat and a bite of carbonation.

This is an awesome beer! It has great balance and incredibly well-rounded aroma and flavor. I can't believe I've gone so long without trying this again.

4.82/5  rDev +20.8%

A 22 oz bomber served in an oversized wine glass. This is a very nice and well balanced beer with good amber coloring and an aroma that pleases the senses upon opening.

A - A medium amber coloring that poors clear producing a good two finger white head. The head dissapates quickly but laces very well.

S - On the nose is an immediate strong citrusy scent with a background of granular hints, and balanced by a sweet aroma of honey layered over citrus fruits, perhaps sweet grapefruit, oranges, or maybe even cumquat. There is a hint of biscuity aromas.

T - The first tasting was a wonderful flavor of citrus, sweet candy followed by a subdued explosion of hops. The hops are apparent upon entry into the throat but do not overwhelm the senses in the early stages of entering the mouth. However, once the beer moves over the tongue the hops kick this puppy in the pants and deliver that all to unforgettable hoppy experience. This is a well balanced beer in the American IPA tradition, but you can certainly taste the almost hidden nature of the hops brought on by the use of the belgian yeast.

M - The beer feels like a soft silk blanket as it moves across the teeth onto the tongue. The medium body gives you something to bite into but is masked by the smoothness of this high quality ale.

D - This beer is dangerous. I could drink it all day long. I will certainly have many, many, more.

4.82/5  rDev +20.8%

I had been waiting to try this one since I saw that they were making it. To me it was the best of both worlds...belgian style yeast and a california IPA. It did not disapoint one bit.
It poured a very nice Dark amber color, the aromas were very much like the name suggests very true to a belgian spciy and citrusy,floral with hints of honey, then you get the aroma of the hops which added to the citrus gave it an almost blood orange scent. Taste was just outstanding typical belgian triple flavors spicy and slightly yeasty but with a nice blast of hops which gave it a nice grapefruit/ citrus like finish.In my opinion the best beer I have had in a long time... This is a perfect food beer. I had it with sauteed red snapper with a lemon butter sauce and it went perfect!! I can't wait to get some more!!

4.82/5  rDev +20.8%

A: Pours a hazy, cloudy, goldenrod. Small off-white head fades quickly.

S: Strong, thick, esters and wheat hit my nose before I could even get close to the glass, wow... When I came in to smell it I got the hops: pineapple, a little bit of pine, and a little booze, just a little.

T: Wow... acidic, tons of pineapple, but balanced by a nice estery, yeasty-ness. No booze in the taste, it's all balanced out. It finishes with a nice chewy malt that is really pleasant.

M: Medium carbonation. Thick and resinous. The acidity really leaves you salivating.

O: An excellent brew, complex and interesting, but very well balanced, especially for a Stone brew.

4.8/5  rDev +20.3%

I just wish I would have bought more than one and I hope when I got back tomorrow that they still have a couple in stock.

This is a bloody good brew. From the smell to the taste to the aftertaste, great all the way through.

I am not all that strong in my Belgian beers, but from what I have been told, most of the aspects of this brew make this a great Belgian.

To be honest, there is not a lot I can say about this brew that you cannot get from your first taste. I am not a fan of a perfect brew, but this is bloody good...

Highly recommend this brew. And, best of all, it's not all that pricey for a bomber (5.99 where I live).

4.8/5  rDev +20.3%

Pours golden and cloudy with a finger's thick head.

Smell is citrus, reduced sugar, hops.

Taste is grapefruit, pineapple, and hops with medium body, medium carbonation and minimal lacing.

Overall this is a great and very well balanced crossover IPA with Belgian Yeast from the folks at Stone.

4.76/5  rDev +19.3%

4.76/5  rDev +19.3%

4.75/5  rDev +19%

In my opinion, this is a near perfect beer that pairs with all kinds of food and drinks well on its own.

The name says it all: Belgian-style IPA. Stone does so many beers so well, especially West Coast IPAs. Match that with Belgian yeast and you've got a whole new take on it.

One of my favorite beers of all-time that also happens to be readily available, and relatively affordable. Can't beat that.

4.75/5  rDev +19%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Stone Cali-Belgique from Stone Brewing Co.