Stone Cali-België - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Cali-BelgiëStone Cali-België

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian IPA |  6.90% ABV

Beer added by: gpogo on 07-23-2008

Reviews: 1,050 | Hads: 3,173
3.63/5  rDev -9%

Appearance -- Pours an bright, clear orange/amber with mounds of stiff, bubbly milky white head. Much lacing.

Smell -- Lots of Belgian yeast, clove, some banana, pine resin hops, and some bready yeasts.

Tatse -- Lot of grassy/resinous hops up front with some bread and biscuit maltiness to sweeten out the end. in the finish some clove/banana/yeastiness eeks out.

Mouthfeel -- Moderate carbonation, medium-light body, somewhat dry finish. Could've done with more carbonation.

Drinkaility -- The massive hop bittering really muted the cove/banana/yeast flavors that make belgian pales so enjoyable. Aside from the smell and the clove, it would be hard to distinguish this from a American IPA.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good beer, but I think Raging Bitch married the Belgian pale and American IPA elements a little better. Not a bad beer, but I was hoping for more.

3.63/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Great choice if your usual Belgian is letting u down. I prefer this in general because I live in MN & most STONE beers don't let me down. Cheers!!!!!!!!

3.63/5  rDev -9%

This one pours a moderate gold with a bit of creamy white head. There's a decent amount of lacing associated with it too. Smell's a little weak considering that this is a Stone IPA, but there's some hoppy grapefruit and a bit of yeastiness. You can tell that there's some Belgian influence here, although I'm not sure how much. It tastes very hoppy and bitter with a decent yeasty finish. It doesn't have some of the spice notes that I like in Belgians, and I think that that could be interesting in this brew. It's not bad, however, just a less aromatic, yeasted-up, watered-down version of Ruination IMO. A bit creamy with a slight dry finish. Herbal aftertaste. A good drink, but not my favorite IPA by far.

3.63/5  rDev -9%

Picked up at Total Wine on a recent visit. Poured a 22oz bottle into my Stone IPA Stemware.

This one pours a bright golden color with an orange tint. Perfect clarity. My pour brought on a two-finger dense rocky head that subsided to a cap and left a thick ring of lace. One of the best collars of foam I have seen.

The smell is somewhat unimpressive. Herbal hops are very faint. A hint of sweetness from the Belgian yeast. I much prefer the citrusy goodness of the standard IPA.

Taste is fairly decent. Nice herbal hops fill the mouth. A mild tartness and a bit dry. An interesting mix of flavors, but I could use a bit more sweetness to round out the hops.

The mouthfeel is good. A bit effervescent with a nice dry, almost mouth-puckering finish. The dryness enhances the drinkability, however I won't reach for this one all too often. Overall a good beer, but Stone has plenty better.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served on tap at the Stone Bistro, like everyone else. Apparently this is an in-house brew only at this time as for my understanding. A run of their typical IPA but employing a Belgian yeast strain vs. their usual critters. Rather surprising to a non-home brewer what a difference the yeast alone can make, should my info. be accurate.

Pours a very hazy yeasty golden orange with a solid and sticky head. Smells typically of hops and adding a hint of sourness along with a touch of orange/clove. Taste is a bit confusing/unexpected with some malts initially, hints of citrus and a slight bitterness in the finish. All along the yeast dominates the nose. Drink and Mouthfeel are above average. The alcohol is less evident here than in their standard IPA offering, likely due to the effect the yeast has on the mouthfeel.

Note: This is not the collaboration brew that was produced with Alesmith and Mikeller, which is a Belgian Tripel IPA.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Sam's Perfect Pint glass. Pours a dark yellow, not quite orange, close to a golden color with some cloudiness to it. Gets clearer as it warms up still a bit hazy, very little lacing on the glass. Smell is good. It's initially hoppy, then you can smell the Belgian characteristics to it. Taste is interesting, but gets better as it warms up again. Has the Belgian yeast but the initial taste the hops again, mostly citrus, maybe some slight pine at the end. Noticeable hops but not a very strong taste. Mouthfeel is pretty good, has a slight bite with a dry finish from the hops, but not bad. I found the beer to be pretty drinkable. I feel this is a beer that you really have to be careful if your drinking it with a meal, not a whole lot of options to have it with , maybe something lite.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A pours a golden yellow with some haze, webbing lace clings to the glass.

S - Hop Resin, Piney, Citrus zest, some euro skunk.

T - Lemon Grass, Yeast, biscuits, dough, citrus hops, resinous, oily.

O - An interesting mish mash of styles and it turns out to be a decent IPA, but it didn't blow me away. Something to try when you want something different.

3.62/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Big fan of stone and the initial smell of the beer had me excited, but I didn't think the hops and belgian style quite worked here.

Haven't had many Belgian IPAs, but Flying Dog Raging Bitch is what I would recommend if you want one. For stone I will stick to their other great IPAs if I want some hops

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This drinks like a beer that can't decide what it wants to be. It's an IPA first, with Belgian accents. That's how I would describe it. Reviewers who have called for a more assertive Belgian yeast presence hit the same chord I'm reaching for. I don't hold Belgian IPA as a style in high regard and this beer is just further evidence that some mash ups don't need to happen.

Anyone trying this beer should give it a few minutes to warm up from fridge temperature to something shy of cellar temp but still comfortably in the 40s. Belgian yeast esters are really muted at the low end of the temperature spectrum.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Has a clean, consistent off-white head that diminishes calmly. Light brassy orange in color.

Fluid oily hop notes from the top of the glass. Lemon, orange rind and a hint of grapefruit. Yeast and spice mixed in. Complex.

Grain and citrus up front. Light bodied and thin. Mostly dry. Has a bitter bottom end that has a hint of staleness (might have been on the shelf too long).

Good take on the style that proves you don't always need in-your-face to get tasty.

3.61/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours a beautiful orange-amber with a nice fluffy white cap atop its head. Nice lacing patterns down the side. Very pretty.

S - The nose has a little bit of funk but is mostly dominated by pine and citrus hops. Very dry. No real malt.

T - The barnyard comes out a bit more in the taste, although the hops are still there. Still no malt.

M - Not bad, decent carbonation.

D - This beer is drinkable enough, I just don't know if I'd WANT to drink more. It's really dry with not too much flavor so that's a combination that won't keep me coming back for more.

Overall, not a horrible beer, but I've had better Belgian IPAs.

3.6/5  rDev -9.8%

A: Slightly cloudy amber color with a nice head and decent retention and lacing.

S: Very interesting yeasty in that typical Belgian way, but with slight citrus hoppiness in there too. Makes sense I guess. ;)

MF: Medium body with that prickly gassy belgian quality,

T: There is some bready malt, but that is quickly dominated by the yeasty-ness. I found some hoppiness in there of course, but the yeast was too much.

Overall: I split this with a friend and I'm glad I did. I don't think I would've finished the whole bomber. It certainly is interesting, but I'm generally not a huge fan of the Duvel style Belgians and this was too much of that for me. I'm trying to be fair in my grade as this was something I wanted to try, but the style is not for me.

3.6/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle into my FW snifter glass
Notes taken from 05/03/14

A: Crystal clear light amber honey look. Tiny streaming bubbles are present producing about a half finger of cream colored suds. Moderate retention with a few streaks and dots of lace left clinging to the glass.

S: Minty herbal hops and banana like esters on the nose. I get some apricot like stone fruit action with a twist of citrus and some coriander type spices. Has a sweet breadiness to it from the pale and caramel malts. Interesting mix and the phenols are fairly strong. Not bad but definitely different.

T: Big peppery bitterness with dashes of citrus fruit and some menthol notes. Banana, bubblegum, and clove spice are all there with a touch of caramel sweetness. Man there is a lot going on here. I get some fruity apricot and a lemony tartness as well. The phenols are super sharp and almost smoky at times and the alcohol kicks in towards the finish. Not really a fan of this one.

M: The body is moderate and slightly filling but tends to land closer to the lighter side. Nearing astringent form the high hop bitterness and sharp yeast phenols. Dash of alcohol warmth. Finish has a solid drying effort with a slight resinous after affect.

D: Not a huge fan of this one. It’s not necessarily flawed but is a bit disjointed with too much going on for my liking. The 22oz was a bit of a chore and I don’t like doing chores without some type of reward.

3.6/5  rDev -9.8%

Slight haze to an otherwise golden color. Moderate lasting head with a significant amount of spotty lace on the glass.

High fresh grapefruit-like hop aroma; background alcohol with light malt.

A dry brew with a high amount of hop. The aftertaste is long-lasting bitter hop. Relatively thin body with an above average level of carbonation. Lip puckeringly astringent.

3.6/5  rDev -9.8%

Had this one the other day after work. Poured a golden orange color with white head that faded quick and left good lacing. Smelled of yeast, fruit, hops and malt. Tasted yeasty, with fruit and a light hops kick. Fairly smooth. Some interesting flavors here, but the combination doesn't suit me very well.

3.6/5  rDev -9.8%

Draft poured a bone white head that was very quick to disperse. Pale orange and straw color that is clear.

Aromas are of the citrus variety representing a nice orange and piney hop aroma with a nice spice background of coriander and pine.

Bitter orange peel and earthy hops are pronounced followed by a surprisingly suble yeast influence and a nice amount of burnt caramel. Overall it's a easy drinker but I have not been overwhelmed by it's flavor. There was a faint chalky taste but I don't attribute that to the beer.

3.6/5  rDev -9.8%

this beer pours a very pretty golden color with a frothy white head that recedes to lacing. the aroma is really nice with the belgian yeast works well with the hops... a nice balance. the taste loses me a little bit, the sweet malt and belgian flavors fall behind the hop bitterness. the mouthfeel is a little light, the co2 is a bit much for it. could have been better, but it's still a damn good beer.

3.59/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours an amber-yellow pretty clear color with an average head and minimal lacing. Aroma hits hard at first and then mellows a bit. Aroma is first of pine resin and grapefruit and then mellows out some. Taste is hoppy with a nice bitterness, some citrus rind and just a touch of sweetness to balance it. Leaves a hoppy-citrus peel aftertaste which is pleasant

3.59/5  rDev -10%

very nice looking beer with a dark golden orange body soft, fluffy off-white head. smells of hops and belgian yeast, though nothing here is too pronounced. perhaps some sweet fruitiness. nothing too great about the smell.

hmmm. a pretty good belgian ipa, though the hops and malt battle instead of blend. a very bitter end/after-taste, but up front it is much fruitier and sweeter. the yeast gives it an odd spiceyness that makes it seem like the beer was spiced (though it wasn't). difficult beer to describe for sure.

might be a little over-carbonated, but then again, it does have a light-medium body. drinkability is good, but i would much rather have a regular stone ipa or ruination.

22 oz bomber.

Slightly hazy golden color, with a thick, tight sticky head. Nice retention.

Fruity Belgian yeast with notes of banana and candi sugar yields to pineapple and mango.

Flavor is pine and resin, slight woodiness and spice. Balanced malt flavor, enough to keep the hops fom running wild.

Alcohol warming on the slightly dry finish.

3.58/5  rDev -10.3%

Nice enough looking beer, clear, slighly amber gold with nice lacing.

I've never had a Belgian IPA so don't quite know what to expect. I am getting a lot more "Belgian" than IPA for the nose. Clear smell of Belgian yeast.

Same for the taste. The sweetness imparted by the yeast is leavened somewhat by the hops with a bit of hop bite. Nice mouthfeel with a hit of carbonation at the end. I'm not quite sure what to make of it. I can't get the usual grapefruit typical of Stone IPA. This will take some thought.

Goes down nicely but I'm not sure I like the melding of what to me are two distinct styles. I'll have to try others and see if its the style or the beer that doesn't quite work for me.

3.58/5  rDev -10.3%

A - straw-colored with generous head which leaves a little lacing around the edges. Well-carbonated.

S - Smells like a Belgian. Bananas, specifically.

T - Very hoppy, but not overpowering. The Belgian yeast balances the flavor quite nicely.

M - Well-carbonated and medium-bodied.

D - While I like this beer, it's not something I want to have very often. One of these a month would be plenty.

3.58/5  rDev -10.3%

A: Pours a golden, copper tinted color with a thin layer of head that dissipates to lacing along the sides of the glass. Carbonation levels look good, perhaps a bit low.

S: Smells interesting. I wouldn't say it's a pleasant aroma, but it isn't off-putting either. Lots of hops, mostly juniper but also a bit of citrus in there. Then there's a more petro-chemical, gasoline and lip balm smell mixed with a bit of spice and some yeast.

T: Taste comes through a lot like the aroma. Lots of hops and that same spiced yeast and malt concoction. I just can't help but feel reminded of lip balm or some kind of refined oil. Again, I don't consider this taste to be detrimental to the beer, but it is certainly something I haven't come across before, and seems a bit odd to me.

M: This has the usual stone mouthfeel. Perfect carbonation, smooth and a little chewy. It's really very easy to drink and quite refreshing but also maintains some level of sophistication.

O: This was an interesting adventure for me. I'm not really a fan of I.P.A.'s but I can definitely appreciate them, and this one is perhaps a bit more "up my alley" than some of the other offerings I've had. As usual, lots of hops, but not an overwhelming amount, and an interesting "Belgian yeast" characteristic which lends the brew a unique characteristic. Solid, but not exceptional.

3.57/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Beer is an orange/straw color that is pretty clear. Pours a moderate sized creamy white head. Head has decent retention and leaves heavy lacing. Smells of bread, pine, and citrus, a bit of other fruit, although I can't pinpoint what.

Taste starts with pine, then moves to orange with a bit of lemon and grapefruit. Has a nice bready finish with both pine and orange, and a bit more of nondescript fruit. A little funky/yeasty. Has a light body and high carbonation for an IPA, although they are probably both average for a Belgium.

3.56/5  rDev -10.8%

Part of the stone tasting at jungle jims with Greg Koch

A-golden yellow with a white head
S-overpowered by the belgian yeast strain. Can't get much else off of the brew
T-slight hops but is really dominated by its belgian side. Some grapes
M-medium bodied and smooth
d-drinkable, but not one of the best of the night

Stone Cali-België from Stone Brewing Co.