Stone Cali-Belgique - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Cali-BelgiqueStone Cali-Belgique

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian IPA |  6.90% ABV

(Beer added by: gpogo on 07-23-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Cali-Belgique Alström Bros

1.5/5  rDev -62.4%

1.5/5  rDev -62.4%

1.58/5  rDev -60.4%

A: Pours a cloudy golden color with a thick bright white head that dissipates at a moderate pace and leaves a thin film behind.

S: A pungent aroma of citrus, bready yeast, and alcohol. Not a pleasant overall smell.

T: Tastes like a Belgian that has fermented outside in a Texas summer. It is just a terrible mix of flavors punched by an overpowering bitterness.

M: Medium body with medium to high carbonation.

O: I do not hate many beers. I HATED this beer! Half was miserably drank with the rest dumped. Based on some of the other positive reviews, I wonder if I had a bad bottle. I am not willing to risk it on this one to try again. I love Stone IPAs and figured this was a guaranteed hit. I guess I was wrong.

1.75/5  rDev -56.1%

1.75/5  rDev -56.1%

2.08/5  rDev -47.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

"Cali Belgique with French Oak" served from a cask into a New Belgium stem-goblet at The Daily Pint in Santa Monica. Chinook and Centennial hops. Reviewed from notes. Cost was around $9.00.

A: Pours a 1.5 finger white colour thin head of little lacing and no cream. Appears quite soapy. Body colour is a vibrant copper-amber. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Caramel, sweet malts, fresh floral hops, some hop oil, light nectar, and a bit of soapy detergent. A mild strength aroma.

T: Hop bitterness with no balance whatsoever. Little oak at all. Some floral character does come through, but the hp notes are mainly just flat bitterness. Simple and bland. Boring. Poorly executed.

Mf: Thin and weak. Undercarbonated. Slightly nectary. A casualty of its cask serving type.

Dr: Difficult to drink due to its low quality. A major disappointment, even coming from Stone. I definitely wouldn't get this again. One of the worst beers I've had in a while.

D

2.1/5  rDev -47.4%

Poured into my beautiful, over-sized tulip glass from a 22 oz bomber.

Pours a hazy golden-amber. It almost glows. Tight bubbles make a finger and a half's worth of head, with several larger bubbles varying the texture. Head dissipates disappointingly quickly.

Smell is ... pungent? Kind of bitter, almost kind of ... sour? Sting the nostrils a little bit. Smells almost even a little boozy -- a surprise at just under 7% ABV.

Taste is ... disappointing. Somewhat bitter, but no real bite. No real fruitiness from the hops, which is a disappointment given the "Cali" in the title. Just a little bit of bitterness. As for the "Belgique," not digging what I'm getting from the yeast. Maybe it's as it should be, but to me it tastes a little funky. This actually reminds me of the homebrew IPA I made this summer where I fermented at sweltering-garage temperatures. The more I think of it, the more it reminds me of that disaster. This is certainly more palatable, but not what I'd call good. This beer is actually making me sad.

Mouthfeel is akin to lightly carbonated water. A disappointment. Drinkability, sadly, is low. I've got a little ways to go to finish this bottle.

Final thoughts. This is a miss for me. The only other beer I've had of the style was Allagash Hugh Malone, which I had on tap and thoroughly enjoyed. Perhaps freshness is an issue, given the sensitivity of highly hopped beers -- I did buy it unrefrigerated. But of course, until we have bottle dating on every bottle, we'll never know (and so on and so forth). Or, maybe this is a world class example of the style, and maybe it just isn't for me.

2.2/5  rDev -44.9%

Poured 22oz bomber in tulip glass; light amber color with nice tall head that does not last long but nice lacing; lighter than expected from a Stone IPA oily and flat with long astringent finish; too flowery in the aroma with smell of hay; bitter flowery taste to with strong alchohol; pretty dissapointing for a Stone brew!

2.23/5  rDev -44.1%

I have been on an IPA kick lately and I picked this up on one of my recent shopping sprees... I feel like I had it at some point in the past but couldn't remember for sure so I snagged one...

Appearance; pours a lovely crisp goldenrod color, head went kinda crazy for me on this one (I may have had a violent pour...) i got three fingers of nice white head, started off with super fine bubbles, with a few large ones interspersed, the head gave way to larger bubbles not unlike bubble bath... Lacing is ok, retention is poor, all that's left of the the three fingers of head is a thin film.

Smell; smell is just kind of off... It's got a slightly pungent aroma similar to other belgians I can remember with a hint of honey and some slight pine hop aromas in there...

Taste; unfortunately was not what I was expecting... Its kind of a mish mash of an IPA and a Belgian, as if a drunken bartender somewhere starting pouring an IPA for someone who ordered a Belgian and rather than dumping or setting aside the IPA, added the belgian to what was already in the glass... Belgian yeast flavor dominates this and I get the slightest pine and hop bitterness on the finish.

Mouthfeel; effervescent, much like Belgians I've had in the past, but aside from that fairly unremarkable, generally speaking I prefer thicker, full bodies beers, and this falls in the light body category in my opinion, which isn't bad, just not exactly what I was expecting...

Overall; I really feel like I'm trashing this beer unfortunately, however I am being honest with my impressions. I feel like Cali-Belgique does two things half as well as a beer that does one thing pretty well... Kind of brings the saying "jack of all trades, master of none" to my mind. Perhaps this is simply a style I am incapable of appreciating and I'll likely revisit this one at some point a couple more times at varying intervals to give it (and any changes my palate goes through) another shot.

2.23/5  rDev -44.1%

Served in straight pint glass. Poured a very clear, urine yellow color. A foamy, bright white head dissipated at a moderate pace leaving a lot of sticky lacing.

A nice, spicy yeast aroma greets the nose. Sadly, for me anyway, this the rare beer that smells better than it tastes. The dominate flavor is an overly sticky, sweet clove flavor.

The body is thinner than even a regular IPA and if it wasn't for that clove taste would be non-existent. I did not find this to be a very drinkable, or enjoyable, beer. I think this kind of a bastard style to begin with, with that said there are better examples of the style, go find them. Stone IPA is among my favorite IPAs and I love Belgian beers so this was a big disappointment for me.

2.28/5  rDev -42.9%

22oz bomber poured into a large snifter.

A - Seriously cool bottle on this one. Following in Stone's trademark, this one features a "destroyed" label with the iconic gargoyle. Pours an amber brown and builds a little, off-white head. Decent head retention and some spotted lacing here and there. Some sediment is visible in the glass

S - Interesting nose on this one. A trio of citrus, yeast, and booze. Notes of hops but not as dominant as I would've initially thought. A fairly unique bouquet that really grabs my interest.

T - Unfortunately, the taste does not live up to the nose for this one. Just tastes off and flat. Muddled flavors and a rush of hop bitterness at the end just mutes everything. Not very enjoyable at all and I foresee this bomber becoming quite difficult to finish off. A shame, as I really anticipating this one.

M - Light bodied and enough carbonation to sustain this IPA.

D - However, the drinkability of this one is completely shot. I'm only halfway through my first glass and I am seriously contemplating making this my first drain pour. The bitterness wrecks havoc on the palate and each sip becomes increasingly harder than the last. A complete disappointment.

I have (and hope) an inkling this bottle may be infected or light-struck as this beer is just a complete disaster. Almost undrinkable due to the flavor imbalance.

2.33/5  rDev -41.6%

22 oz bottle into a tulip. From notes.

A: Pours an extremely clear golden color. Belgian-style beers shouldn't be this crystal clear. There's about two fingers worth of white-colored head. It retains decently and leaves a few rings of lacing behind. Even if the clarity scares me, it still looks good in a glass.

S: Mostly, the aroma provides notes of bready, undefined Belgian yeast. Not only does this lack definition, but it also obstructs some of the nice citrusy hops that would have otherwise popped out of the glass even more. Not bad, just rather simplistic.

T: It starts off quite bready from the yeast. The hop profile is shockingly gentle - and it's not like this was an old bottle (at the MOST, it was 2 months old: most Stone IPAs are still quite good at 2 months), it's just devoid of a hop bite. There are light touches of citrus, herbs, and pine, at least. After a few sips, it dawns on me: the yeast ruins it. It's too generic, too one-note, and too obstructive of the other flavors all at once. Add in a lousy phenolic aftertaste, and this is downright tiring to drink.

M: Not light, crisp, or refreshing. At. All. At least it's dry...I guess that's worth a quarter of a point. The yeast is so damn heavy, it just chokes the drinkability completely. Hell, it's even slightly undercarbonated for the style.

O: Moar liek Cali-Failgique, amirite? I really, REALLY hope Stone's saison is about thirty times better than this.

Stone Cali-Belgique from Stone Brewing Co.