2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stone Cali-Belgique - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Cali-BelgiqueStone Cali-Belgique

rAvg: 4
pDev: 12%

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian IPA |  6.90% ABV

(Beer added by: gpogo on 07-23-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 876-900 | 901-925 | 926-950  | next › last »
Ratings: 2,239 | Reviews: 942 | Show All Ratings:
bennetj17

Arizona

3.8/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Deep gold, clear, with a perfect 1/2 inch of white foam holding on nicely. Nice aroma of lemon/orange fruit rind, dusted with a nice Belgian yeast note. There is a touch of honey-sweetness in the aroma, but it leans more toward a tangy fruitiness.

The flavor seems to have a sharpness that carries all the way through to the finish. The bitterness is nice, although it leans on being astringent. Those classic Belgian pale flavors are a bit subdued, and the complexity is lost somewhat. The mouthfeel is pretty light, and the carbonation is quite intense as it darts into the tongue. The carbonation needs to be more foamy and less spritzy to be more like a true Belgian pale.

All in all this was a decent attempt for Stone at what is at least partially a Belgian beer. Considering the disappointment of most of the Vertical Epic series, this was actually almost a step up. Worth a try, but don't expect it to be anything close to a Choffe Houblon...

10-15-2008 06:32:11 | More by bennetj17
bifrostguard

2.6/5  rDev -35%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A - Appearance is clear copper color with a tall off white head.

S - Spice and grains backed up by some citrus hops.

T - Spice and grains. The hops aren't easily detected.

M - Thin and unremarkable.

D - Too much spice for me, but if you like the Vertical Epic release you will probably like this as well.

This is definitely not my style. That being said if you like strongly spiced beers you'll enjoy this one. I would attempt to describe the spice but I dislike this one so much I don't care to try.

10-12-2008 04:05:00 | More by bifrostguard
brewandbbq

New Hampshire

4.3/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours clear gold with a half inch head of white. Retention is short-lived and a partial skim coat remained throughout the glass. A few dots of lacework also.

Aromatics lead off with a blend of grapefruit, apricots, spruce, and phenols.
A hint of lemon and earthy pepper follow through. Fairly aromatic but not pungent or extremely floral.

Medium bodied, crisp and drying. A very snappy mouthfeel.

Ripe fruit, bitter citrus pith, and crisp malt start the pallet. Grapefruit, peach pits, lemon seeds, and pine resin.
A firm, drying bitterness steps quickly forward, followed by some warming alcohol, clovey phenols, and a trace of bready malt.

Finishes with a chaulky dryness, lingering bitterness, and fading tropical fruit with pine bark.

Tasty..Of the three recent hoppy Belgians from Stone, this one is the the biggest all around. The VE '08 is the most subdued with the hops, followed by the Collaboration, and then this one.

10-02-2008 23:33:11 | More by brewandbbq
ironlung

3.78/5  rDev -5.5%

A: Crystal Clear golden tan. Pours with a nice 2 finger head that settles to nothing quite rapidly.

S: Smells like spring in the spice islands. I've never tried a Belgium beer b4,and I won't count this as my first(maybe stone knows that and made this just for me!).

T: When I was at Stone a few months back I'd herd that the guys went over to the abbys on an "education" excursion. If this is what they learned I'll take it!

M: Pretty neat. I like this beer. A nice way to mix up their ipa. Feels like I'm broading my horizons, but then I remember it's from San Diego.

D: A good fall brew. The spice is making me think of the coming holidays(where did the year go??).

09-23-2008 14:44:37 | More by ironlung
torchednoodle

4.22/5  rDev +5.5%

This beer tastes like a mix of Stone IPA and Belgian, and it's on purpose and spot on.

This beer is faithful to it's name. Tastes eactly like a mix of California IPA with more than a touch of Belgian. Hint of bubble gum-Belgian aroma and taste, with a totally palatable and not-insignificant complement of Stone IPA. Excellent combo, and a much more complete attempt than Green Flash's Le Freak, which tasted more Belgian than a mix of styles, and was more expensive to boot. Seriously, hats off to Stone on this.

Dug it. Thanks, Greg & Co., I will be buying again. It may not be up my particular alley, but I recognize the artistry in the mixing of styles.

09-20-2008 06:24:29 | More by torchednoodle
PatronWizard

4/5  rDev 0%

Huge fan of Stone. How could I not try anything new? Bomber to glass...

Glowing light copper haze. Billowing white head of mushmellow. Great lacing.

I don't want to be an asshole, but this smells like a cross between an IPA and a tripel. You can certainly smell the hops. Mmmm. And you can smell the light fruity tripel odor. It's unique for sure. I hope it tastes more like the IPA.

I applaud the effort, but I don't know how many of these I'll keep in stock. It's almost like the hops and fruit flavors cancel each other out, leaving a subtle flavor. Or sometimes you catch one or the other side of the beer. It's not bad, but not exactly good. Again, I say unique. Whoa, at least it produces the old familiar yummy Stone hop belch. I dunno man; every drink has a different taste. I like it, I don't like it... I guess that's all part of the experience.

Overall: just try it

09-18-2008 02:21:49 | More by PatronWizard
tangentrider

4.28/5  rDev +7%

A: Light amber beer with a white, disappearing head. No lacing.

S: Sweet, caramel malt; fruit, faintly spicy hop.

T: Very faint malt; citrus bitterness; very clean. Bitter finish lasts and lasts.

MF: Smooth, almost chewy, yet clean and crisp. Moderate carbonation.

D: Very good beer; I'll have this one again.

09-16-2008 02:52:45 | More by tangentrider
PhiloPsych

4.28/5  rDev +7%

Rather lighter/thinner in color and mouthfeel than Ruination. Maybe closer in those respects to the regular Stone IPA? A light, airy head mostly dissipates fairly quickly leaving a thin layer of bubbles on top. Smell is mostly piney hops with the yeasty, Belgian aroma faintly in the background (and becoming more prominent as the beer warms). I really like the mouthfeel--it is light and fluffy, almost like a cask-conditioned beer. It's a nice change of pace for me as I often drink heavier, thicker, more syrupy beers.

I think the taste is very interesting. I had half my bomber with Indian food for lunch and the pairing was terrific, where by "terrific" I mean terrific. A bit later I had a post-lunch solo celebration in honor of having had a good beer with lunch--menu for the party: the rest of the good beer.

When drinking the beer all by itself, I noticed the Belgian tones more--similar to a light-bodied tripel or even a Hefeweizen in some of the aftertaste. Except that there is also all that hoppiness happiness going on.

Well done, Stone, well done again.

(The French at the end of the blurb on the back is grammatically incorrect.)

09-12-2008 23:04:45 | More by PhiloPsych
bbothen

3.98/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours golden brown with a nice bubbly white 2 finger head.

Smells of earthy & fruity hops, Belgian yeast, and some spicy notes.

Crisp big hop bite, pineapple, citrus, earth, grass, spicy, clove, and bubblegum Bealgian yeast. Nice dry hoppy finisg. Interesting.

Medium bodied, crisp, dry, lingering finish.

A unique & interesting brew. Glad I had the opportunity to try.

09-12-2008 20:54:19 | More by bbothen
Dukeofearl

2.48/5  rDev -38%

22 ounce bottle from La Bodega in Riverside, CA., September 2008 for $5.99 (?).

Pours a pretty clear golden (on the dark shade) with a gorgeous thick rich head with lots of stickage. This is by far the best part of this beer.

Unfortunately, I have to disagree with the other reviewers on the rest of this beer, because I was sorely tempted to toss it after the first few sips. But I stuck it out to see how it developed as it warmed, and it didn't do much for me.

Aroma of Belgian yeast, bubblegum, and a stale hops/organic (weedy) tone. Tobacco?

Flavor was harsh unfriendly hops, an odd rotten orange fruitiness, an underlying sweetness, coupled with a chewy mouthfeel I just did not enjoy.

Sorry- I appreciate experimentation, and give them credit for that, but as a beer to drink and enjoy, I just couldn't do it. In the end, I did toss about 1/3 of the bottle. Such a waste...

09-12-2008 01:09:23 | More by Dukeofearl
Tdizzle

4.22/5  rDev +5.5%

Purchased at Vendome Fullerton.

A- Poured into an Allagash tulip glass, this beer pours a clear gold color with a thick two-finger head that settles to a thin layer over the beer. Each sip leaves some web-like rings of lacing.

S- Spicy and hoppy. The aroma has the crisp hop character of Stone's regular IPA but with equally intense notes of spicy Belgian yeast.

T- The initial bite from the hops is quickly overtaken by a flavor of spicy yeast. Some bready malts emerge towards the dry finish, which leaves only a mild bitterness on the palate.

M- The mouthfeel is medium-bodied with lively carbonation.

D- This is a tasty beer that's very easy to drink. The 6.9% isn't even a factor in this category.

09-11-2008 04:39:03 | More by Tdizzle
Gueuzedude

Arizona

4.47/5  rDev +11.8%

Pours into my 25cl tulip glass with a frothy, pale, just barely off-white, initially three finger thick head. The beer is absolutely, brilliantly clear and is a red-tinged, deep copper color that shows a bright copper hue when held up to the light. The aroma is clearly a mix of hops and yeast character; as I pour this brew aromas of spicy clove and fruity hops intermingle. Interesting, yeast derived fruity esters mix with the hops and it can be hard to figure out where one starts and the other ends. Aromas reminiscent of lychee, tropical fruit, peach, tart grapes are each noticeable but seem to fade pretty quickly once my nose gets used to them. The finish has a dusting of biscuit like malt, some crushed cracker aromatics and a lingering, sweet-tart tropical fruit note.

This is served lightly chilled (approximately 58°F / 14.5°C). There is a nice, biting bitterness that becomes more the dominant note as this moves to the lingering finish. Tropical fruit flavors play a big role in the flavor with a mix of lychee, kumquat, pineapple, peach and mango flavors. Yeast derived spiciness that really leans towards clove pairs with the hop bitterness in the finish and really tends to linger on the palate after each sip. A soft, toasty, biscuit-like malt character contributes to the finish as well and serves as a very light foil to the much more dominant hop character. This is nice and light bodied, which is perfect for a dangerously quaffable IPA; there is just enough malt to accentuate the fruit character with a light sweetness and to contribute a touch of body that keeps this from being anywhere near water.

The yeast character really seems to accentuate the fruitiness that is in the hop character. The standard IPA never had such a vibrant fruitiness to it. This in its freshness reminds me a lot of the IPA from stone that I had years ago. I just can't seem to find a fresh bottle of it that lives up to my early memories of drinking this on tap, this particular beer does have that fresh hoppiness that I miss in the Stone IPA though. This is quite enjoyable and sadly makes me think I need to down grade my rating for Stone IPA as I just can't seem to get that juicy, vibrant hop character in it anymore. I am clearly a sucker for this beer; this really hits the spot and I like how the secondary, but clearly noticeable, Belgian Yeast character interacts with the hop component here.

Purchase: 22oz Bottle from South Bay Drugs, Imperial Beach CA

09-11-2008 03:04:59 | More by Gueuzedude
Halcyondays

3.3/5  rDev -17.5%

22 oz. bomber,

A: Pours yellow with a medium, somewhat fizzy white head, fair retention, doesn't have good lacing like I would expect in a Belgian or an IPA.

S: Dominated by citrus, get a lot of tangerine, citrus, pineapple, and an earthy Belgian yeast kick, light pepper.

T: Has a strong grapefruit orange character that the regular Stone IPA has. Belgian character is there with bitter spice, pepper, and definite bubblegum esters at the end.

M: Medium body with a mild prickly carbonation on the tongue. Too astringent at times.

D: An interesting beer, but in the end I wasn't a huge fan of it, I didn't think the flavours blended well enough together and the hop character got unappetizingly bitter after a while. A nice experiment, I could see myself trying it again, but wont be a go to beer from Stone.

09-08-2008 02:42:57 | More by Halcyondays
charlzm

3.68/5  rDev -8%

Consumed 09/07/08.

Pours a very clear light golden color with a less-than-one-finger off-white head. Plenty of active carbonation in this one and sticky lacing.

Aroma is sweet (powdered sugar, bubblegum) and a little hoppy (light citrus and flower notes).

Interesting melange of flavors; this tastes like the standard Stone pale ale in its malt profile (caramel) and hop notes (a little grassy and with a light lemon zest) but with peppery overtones and an unexpected surge of bitterness at the end. The finish just flat out doesn't taste very good; a bit medicinal and solvent-y.

Mouthfeel is typical for this beer's standard iteration, meaning a little thicker than water and with a small but noticeable prickliness on the tongue.

Interesting variation on the formula, but not a beer I would nominate for continued production.

09-08-2008 00:00:31 | More by charlzm
seaoflament

3.78/5  rDev -5.5%

Yesterday I picked up a bomber of this for $5.99 at SouthBay Drugs. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Nice California sunset color with a inch of feathery white foam. Very good retention.

Oh yeah, Belgian yeast influence for sure. There are a bit of tropical fruits at first, orange, pineapple, grapefruit, peach, mango, nectarine, and apricot; but there is also an earthy and yeasty aroma from the yeast. Very estery with a similarity to a Belgian strong pale ale. There's also a bit of clove and perhaps ginger. Very interesting to see how just the yeast strain can change this brew, at least so far in the aroma. I'm also getting a bit of banana and bubblegum. Later on I get something like Belgian candy.

There's a good bitterness almost upfront but more towards the middle, and more earthy than citrus. I'm getting a bit of citrus rind in the finish and more yeast goodness. Some toasted malts show up at first but the earthiness almost overwhelms all the other possible flavors. Some tropical fruits try to make an appearance but don't hold up too well. I think I'm starting to perceive all the earthy flavors as "dirty" or "dirt"...just something that came to mind while drinking. Spicy finish too.

Decent mouthfeel, nothing too much to say about this really.

09-06-2008 21:11:18 | More by seaoflament
ChillMike

Alabama

4.45/5  rDev +11.3%

A: Nice golden color with a little bit of an orange color. Pours with a nice two finger sized head that recedes a bit slowly and leaves a nice lacing around the glass.

S: Smells pretty similar to the IPA in respects to the hops used (I suppose that's a "DUH") being very tart and piney. However it does have a very slight bublegum-esque malty scent. Very nice.

T: Starts out with a nice Belgian Pale Ale type of flavor then instantly disappears and gives way to the familiarity of Stone's flagship IPA, and ends with a nice bitter hop after flavor with a slight hint of that Belgian returning. Stone was right in saying "an identical twin raised in a Belgian culture"

MF: Pretty identical to their IPA. I like a bit of a thicker beer so I'll be nit picky and say it's a smidgen watery but that's being really picky.

D: Very very drinkable beer, high marks on this one. I would absolutely love to see a 6 pack of this and the IPA together (3 & 3).

Cheers on another great beer Stone!

09-06-2008 06:17:50 | More by ChillMike
rallison

3.63/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours a nice hazy golden amber color with a 1/2 finger white head.

Smells of Belgian yeast with a nice bready character. Slightly hoppy here, but not overly so.

Good flavor. Definitely a Belgian yeast flavor profile with a distinct West Coast hop profile. Overall, not bad. This leans a bit too much toward the West Coast hops...thus overwhelming some of the complexity. Don't get me wrong - this isn't overly hopped - it just lacks some of the superior complexity of the true Belgian IPAs. Some orange peel in the taste.

Mouthfeel could use some more carbonation. Drinkability is good.

Overall, good. This lacks in certain areas but is a fair attempt at a Belgian IPA.

Edit: Looking back at this review, a 4.0 for taste was too generous.

Serving type: growler

05-18-2008 01:53:32 | More by rallison
« first ‹ prev | 876-900 | 901-925 | 926-950  | next › last »
Stone Cali-Belgique from Stone Brewing Co.